PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
As a lot of you have gathered, I am a vinyl enthusiast. Tho I also love my cds and ipod, I cherish my old vinyl from years and years ago and my husband and several of our friends have a little vinyl "club" and we get together every Saturday evening when the weather is nice (above freezing and no snow!) on our patio and play all the vinyl we can till the wee hours of Sunday morning. We even take trips to various record stores that we find and record shows seeking new treasures.

I was just wondering how many of you still have old record collections or collect new and old stuff. Are there any artist or albums (other than Eagles stuff) that you collect or strive to find? What are some of your favorites and treasured vinyl? It looks to me like we might have a few fans of the vinyl according to the I Can't Stand Still thread.

I will start with a few of mine.

*Hubby and I literally have hundreds of albums, many from my childhood that are well worn and were loved and played often. Of course I have all the Eagles albums and am now working on 2nd copies of each for framing. Also have several solo works of course.

*I also have MOST of Sweet which is not an easy task because they are different all over the world and were extremely rare here in the US. I am lucky enough to have a friend in the UK that actually knows the guitarist and has provided me not only with the UK versions of several of their albums but autographed items from them also. Very prized they are to me.

*Something we just found out (and I don't know why I didn't know this!) is that the album In Through The Out Door by Zeppelin that came in a brown paper wrapper (which everyone knew) but under those wrappers were actually 6 different album covers with different fronts and backs and perspectives of how the individuals on the cover were looking at the scene, meaning there are 12 different pictures in all. We are on the hunt for all 6 covers. We only have 2 so far but will check the record show in 2 weeks to see if we can find any more.

*Larry's prized album is the Skynyd album Street Survivors with the flames. The album was printed up with the band standing in a line and flames shooting out of the tops of some of the members heads. Shortly afterwards is when they had the plane crash and those members were killed by burning to death. They reissued the album same cover minus the flames.

*About a year ago-hubby went to the attic loft and came down with a HUGE box of my old 45s, hundreds and hundreds of them. At the bottom of the box were the little yellow adaptors for the middle of the record so I have been able to play them. Some of them are so obscure because we had a little grocery store that used to have a bin of jukebox cutouts that you could buy for 25 cents each. Every week my allowance went to those.

This can be an expensive or cheap hobby-all depends on how much you want to put into it. I tend to spend more money on some artists than others (hmm-I wonder who ;)) But we really have fun with it and has brought several hours of cheap fun with us and our friends!

ticky
01-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Willie! what a fun idea! I can tell you, back in college I had a HUGE vinyl collection and, as short sighted as I was back then, I sold most of them for nearly nothing. BUT! I have been recollecting a lot of vinyls in the last year or so.

~ On Ebay I purchased a collection of 11 albums that included 5 Eagles and 6 Jackson Browne. They're all in excellent condition and I have been having fun with those.

~I inherited HALF of my sisters vinyls (Jenni TOOK the other half, the ungrateful wretch *G*) which consisted of several Elton John's, a Three Dog Night and a Heart, but best of all *G* Five Beatles Albums, The White Album, Abby Road, Let It Be, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Revolver, and Hard Days night. Also, John Lennon's, Imagine.

~I raided my parents albums as well and came up with Billy Holiday,Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and some other Jazz greats.

~ My Grandfather had a record making machine (whatever they're called) He was a builder/real estate guy during the depression and took this in trade. He made several recordings over the years. They're old steel albums and pretty worn and mostly my Dad and his sister when they were little, being silly, but he recorded some famous speeches and events off the radio too! I don't know exactly what's there, but Dad's always said the MLK speech and A Kennedy Speech were there. I don't know what else. I have an adjustable speed turntable now, so maybe I can grab them and see. OH and I have my grandpa's Al Jolson collection *G*

There are a lot others but these are my favorites.

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 02:17 PM
~ My Grandfather had a record making machine (whatever they're called) He was a builder/real estate guy during the depression and took this in trade. He made several recordings over the years. They're old steel albums and pretty worn and mostly my Dad and his sister when they were little, being silly, but he recorded some famous speeches and events off the radio too! I don't know exactly what's there, but Dad's always said the MLK speech and A Kennedy Speech were there. I don't know what else. I have an adjustable speed turntable now, so maybe I can grab them and see. OH and I have my grandpa's Al Jolson collection *G*

How cool is this!! Can you still use that thing? I would love to tinker with something like that some day. I hope you can get a chance to hear them. What history there!

I'm all kinds of excited because our friend Chris got a recordable turntable for Christmas. We can now actually record our albums and download them to our Itunes and Ipods. I'm seriously thinking about investing in an adaptor that will also record cassettes or whatever else. I still think nothing sounds as good as vinyl tho!

Brooke
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
It sounds like you are having a great time with your vinyl, TBF! My husband and I also do the patio thing in the summer, but we play our cds.

We have all of our old vinyls, but alas, no record player. I keep meaning to buy one, just haven't done it. I've read about the record/cd/cassette player/recorders and would like to get one so we could play them.

I have 2nd copies of some of the Eagles albums which I have framed, too. I'm hoping to find all of them. Hubby just looks at me and asks "why do you want those?" He just doesn't get it! :headshake: He loves music and lots of the old stuff, just would rather hear it in cd quality. So, collecting Eagles vinyl is probably as far as I'll take it.

sodascouts
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
The only vinyls I have are Fleetwood Mac and Eagles-related. My treasures are the signed Longbranch Pennywhistle LP and the signed Buckingham Nicks LP (by Lindsey, not Stevie)! I also have a rare picture disc of Fleetwood Mac's "Silver Springs" and a Buckingham Nicks single, also very rare.

I have a record player that can be hooked up to the computer and I LOVE it! That's how I have the Longbranch Pennywhistle LP up on GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com), and "Get You in the Mood" from the Eagles' "Take It Easy" single (it was a B-side). Neither of those are out on CD.

Peekaboo
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
As you all have seen in the memerabilia thread, I've got all of the Eagles ablums. Although, I don't have the one with Please Come Home For Christmas and Funky New Year. That's the next one that I'll be looking for. There's a record store in Oklahoma City where I got most of my record albums. My mom gave me some of hers that she had. I'll have to go back and look but I do remeber that she gave me one of Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, and Phil Collins. I also have one in there that she bought for my older brother when he was a kid. It's the Ghostbusters soundtrack.

SweetHolly
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Here's my collection of albums on vinyl:
Eagles: Desperado, On The Border, One Of These Nights, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, Hotel California.
My parents let me have them.
Solo: The Allnighter - My aunt Sarah let me have her old copy of it. She also said that if she could find her copy of Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks I could have it.
Non Eagles: I have one of the Doobie Brothers but I can't remember which one. I also have Deja Vu by Crosby Stills Nash And Young. I'm hoping my aunt Sarah will be so kind and let me have her copy of Endless Summer by The Beach Boys. My aunt Linda gave me her original copy of Meet The Beatles but she didn't have the cover for it. She also gave me her copy of Love Songs by the Beatles.

MikeA
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I have a very eclectic collection of vinyl and probably couldn't come close to listing it without taking an afternoon and sorting them out. I know I have the James Gang platters. Most of Fleetwood Mac both before and during the association with Nicks and Buckingham. Some Zep. Doobies. Boston. Kansas. Peter Paul and Mary. CSN&Y. Buffalo Springfield. Yes. A couple of Beatles (Abby Road and White and Rubber Soul and maybe Sgt Peppers). Several of the outlaw albums (Waylon, Willy, Hank Jr.) Melanie. Jewel. Joplin. Hendrix.

Basically, I never trashed an album and never sold one. However, after Verna and I hooked up, I gave several to my niece who babysat our kids a lot. Unfortunately, those that I gave to her are now long gone.

Okay, you have the vinyl and you listen to them on the patio. Do you anything else with them? If you still have a turntable you can buy a cheap little turntable amp that you can plug into and run the output to your line-in on your sound card. It's simple from that point to "rip" the vinyl to any digital format that your capture program can handle.

There is "Audacity" which is a freeware program that will record and save ripped sessions into virtually any format you wish (MP3 WAV etc....but not WMP...Microsoft has not released that format nor has Apple released MPEG4).

Once you have them captured, you can go back in with Audacity or even EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and actually "remaster" them to a degree. I say to a degree because they will not be "better than new" no matter how careful you are. But if there are obnoxious "pops" you can isolate those and remove them pretty much as simple as doing a cut and paste operation on a Word Document.

I took my James Gang albums, or some of them, and cleaned them up using a Discwasher and a Vac-u-rec and ripped them. After all of that, I can tell virtually no difference between them and a new vinyl recording (if you could find a new vinyl platter anywhere! Though I think the Eagles did release a vinyl version of some packages of LROE). Of course, I was a fanatic in protecting my vinyl when it was the only format. I would play each album one time to "clean the grooves" and then a second time to record it to cassette tape or on a reel to reel recorder and then put it back in the sleeve and didn't touch it again unless something happened to the recording. Consequently, most of my albums are in good shape as far as audio quality.

For a long time, it was difficult to find most of the vinyl in a CD format so being able to burn those old platters off onto CD was a real Godsend! You might think about doing that if you get bored. I assure you that "remastering" the vinyl will keep you off the streets and out of the poolhalls. It is a very tedious process.

TimothyBFan
01-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the advice Mike, but remember, I am the one that had to have help with the calendar thing! ;)

I think the thingy you are talking about is what I have been thinking of buying. I found one by Ion on their website for around $50.00. Chris's recordable turntable is also an Ion and easy to use. When we went to places like Best Buy and Circuit City, that seemed to be the brand they had the most often.

The whole patio thing, I have a little story about. We have the $10.00 console that Larry bought at a yard sale that started the whole "Saturday Night Vinyl Club" thing hooked up in the garage and him and a couple of our friends built "better" cabinet speakers for it that we can pull out onto the patio. When the weather started getting bad, we brought the speakers in and hooked them into our lazer turntable and receiver. Of course, this receiver has a lot more power than that old console, so on the first Saturday night we moved everything inside, those speakers got blown. So we hooked up another spare set that we had and they were also blown by the end of the night. We ended up going out and buying new speakers AND a new receiver that wouldn't blow out the speakers. (Side note: the later in the evening and the more alcohol that gets consumed, the louder the volume gets turned up-that is when the speakers have a tendency of blowing :) Do you know how hard it is to find woofers and such anymore? Not an easy task without spending a truckload of money! Of course, the guys are now talking about "rebuilding" the patio speakers once again for springtime.

Another reason I love albums is because the artwork is so much bigger and you get liner notes, gatefolds, etc... While going thru my albums, about 50% of them had magazine articles, posters and stuff like that I had stashed in the album cover. You couldn't cut things out of magazines and stash them in a cd case. :-(

BTW-Mike, I wish I would of taken the care you did with your albums. Mine are very obviously "loved" and were played alot. And yes--LROOE was also put out on vinyl and I got it for Christmas. I mentioned in another thread that when I opened it and played it that the labels were mixed up and on the wrong disc. Pretty cool!

tbs fanatic
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
My hubby has a large collection of LP's, ranging from classical to Jimi Hendrix, but he rarely plays them now. I used to have quite a few but (like a fool) gave them away when I moved to US. I do remember I had all the Monkees LP's - yep, I was a BIG Monkees fan :rofl:

MikeA
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Actually Willy, this is very similar to what I bought. $12.95 with $9 shipping but I didn't look hard at eBay...this was the first one that came up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIAA-Phono-Preamp-Record-Player-Turntable-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ400025428420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurnta bles?hash=item400025428420&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|2 93:1|294:50

The above is sold ready to rock n roll complete with the patch cords you need to run from the amp to the sound card (or other device)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Phono-Preamp-Turntable-Amplifier-Record-Peamplifier_W0QQitemZ270333823405QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270333823405&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

The one above doesn't have the amp to soundcard wires or patchcables. But you can readily obtain them from any Radioshack store.

I add one last thing here.....you do NOT have to "remaster" a vinyl platter if it is in good condition. In fact you don't "HAVE" to remaster one that is in BAD condition.

The ripping part is easy. You only need some software that will let you save it in MP3 format. I like MP3 because things like WinAmp and Windows Media Player don't have trouble with that format. Once you can play it in one of those pieces of software, you can burn it to Audio format.

In fact, you might be able to rip directly from one of those two standard computer "players". I'm not sure about that though.

Two pieces of free software you can use to "rip" the vinyl is Messer and the other is Audacity. I purchased a product called "RIP-Vinyl" for $8 or $10. The only advantage to RipVinyl is that it can be set to detect the silence between tracks and split them for you so you don't have to go back and find the beginning and end of each track in the original rip.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I also have a large collection of vinyls, but the majority of them are 45's because that is mostly all I could afford back in the day. However, I have all of The Beatles albums in vinyl, as well as, all of the Eagles albums (except LROOE). My problem is that I don't know exactly where they are, but they are around this house somewhere. And speaking of LROOE - Just an FYI, but Peekaboo has a picture of the vinyl album posted in the Eagles memorabilia thread along with her other Eagles albums.

Unfortunately, I didn't take very good care of my albums back then, and they haven't been played in many, many years so I don't know what shape they're in. Today, when I buy a new CD, I immediately burn myself copies, and put the original away. That way, when they get scratched from all of the abuse they receive in my car, I can just burn another one.

TimothyBFan
01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Mike--Is the ones you have above the same as this one that I was talking about? I would like to make it as simple as I can. According to my friend Chris, with his turntable, everything goes right into his Itunes.

http://www.ionaudio.com/urecord

tbsf--I love the Monkees and have been trying to get them reasonably. Find your LP's if you can -they are probably worth some good money. I haven't hardly been able to touch them for the price I will pay. I am looking in particular for More Of The Monkees because it has Mary Mary on it! Love that song by them! They are hard to come by.

MikeA
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Mike--Is the ones you have above the same as this one that I was talking about? I would like to make it as simple as I can. According to my friend Chris, with his turntable, everything goes right into his Itunes.

http://www.ionaudio.com/urecord

tbsf--I love the Monkees and have been trying to get them reasonably. Find your LP's if you can -they are probably worth some good money. I haven't hardly been able to touch them for the price I will pay. I am looking in particular for More Of The Monkees because it has Mary Mary on it! Love that song by them! They are hard to come by.

I can't be sure Willy. If that is something that your friend has and it WORKS, then if you have confidence in using it, I'd say go for it. I don't go directly into anything with my rips. I either capture them as MP3s and upload them to my Cell Phone which doubles as my MP3 player or I burn them to Audio CDs.

It sounds like the device you have is configured to go straight from either a line-in or a turntable into an iPod or iTunes and I know nothing about either of those devices nor how to load them from a stored MP3.

TimothyBFan
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Right after I wrote this above I went on ebay and actually found one for .99 that was ending within the hour -and won it!! :blueblob:

tbs fanatic
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Ha! Good for you. I didn't realize they were so hard to come by. We must be related tbf - both love Timmy and both love The Monkees :rofl: Or maybe it's that we are both too :cool:;-).

jdubfan
01-23-2009, 02:57 PM
In a catalog I received at Christmas time, there was a stand-alone Crosley unit where you put the record on the turntable and it burned a CD, they had the outside look like an old-time radio. Does anybody have any experience with something like that? It was ~250$ if I remember right. I don't have an ipod or phone or even a pc with a burner right now. (Guess I'm really stuck in the 70s.) It's not something I can do right now after spending $$ on dang Eagle tix.:thumbsup: Hopefully that technology will get cheaper in the future. I've got around 700 hundred albums that are currently doing time collecting dust, I'd sure like to hear 'em again.

Brooke
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I've seen these, too, jdf. You might check out ebay for a cheaper one. I've seen them there before, but am still not ready to spend that much on one.

That's quite an album collection you've got!

Just Another Hired Hand
01-24-2009, 01:08 AM
I have a very eclectic collection of vinyl and probably couldn't come close to listing it without taking an afternoon and sorting them out. I know I have the James Gang platters. Most of Fleetwood Mac both before and during the association with Nicks and Buckingham. Some Zep. Doobies. Boston. Kansas. Peter Paul and Mary. CSN&Y. Buffalo Springfield. Yes. A couple of Beatles (Abby Road and White and Rubber Soul and maybe Sgt Peppers). Several of the outlaw albums (Waylon, Willy, Hank Jr.) Melanie. Jewel. Joplin. Hendrix.

Basically, I never trashed an album and never sold one. However, after Verna and I hooked up, I gave several to my niece who babysat our kids a lot. Unfortunately, those that I gave to her are now long gone.

Okay, you have the vinyl and you listen to them on the patio. Do you anything else with them? If you still have a turntable you can buy a cheap little turntable amp that you can plug into and run the output to your line-in on your sound card. It's simple from that point to "rip" the vinyl to any digital format that your capture program can handle.

There is "Audacity" which is a freeware program that will record and save ripped sessions into virtually any format you wish (MP3 WAV etc....but not WMP...Microsoft has not released that format nor has Apple released MPEG4).

Once you have them captured, you can go back in with Audacity or even EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and actually "remaster" them to a degree. I say to a degree because they will not be "better than new" no matter how careful you are. But if there are obnoxious "pops" you can isolate those and remove them pretty much as simple as doing a cut and paste operation on a Word Document.

It is a very tedious process.

Unfortunately the vinyl passed me by. However I did use Audacity to digitize a few old cassettes I came across. It is a great program. If you dub them with a good tape deck there is almost no evidence of "wow" and "flutter". I used a Sony for a few and a Marantz for the rest.

The noise is also less of a factor. If I could undo something in the past I would have held on to my vinyl. My son has managed to accumulate a lot of it...unfortunately he is not an Eagles fan. He doesn't like "drummers that sing." I reply, "Your generation knows nothing of good music or the talent that makes it."

MikeA
01-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately the vinyl passed me by. However I did use Audacity to digitize a few old cassettes I came across. It is a great program. If you dub them with a good tape deck there is almost no evidence of "wow" and "flutter". I used a Sony for a few and a Marantz for the rest.

I'm having a blast with Audacity! I mentioned it here because it has the ability to record any sound coming across your sound card as far as I know. CD, Line-In, Aux, Mic, even the telephone if you have it connected through a modem! So, for "ripping" it's great. And anything you "rip", you can EDIT! Remove pops, add reverb, compress, even Over Dub! You can mix it merge it, even flip it around and play it backwards (You Beatles Fans get a twing right there? <LOL>)

But I'm using it to record tracks on my guitar clean and then go back and add all sorts of effects. I download a plug-in for it last night that has 98 guitar effects....wahwah, echo, phaser, flange, delay, overtones...you name it. An absolute hoot.

But where it really shines is that you can lay down a rythym track and the replay it while playing lead part over it. Well, technically "beside" it and then merge the two tracks (after you "time slip" one of them to be in sync) to get one combined sound file! You can even come back a third or fourth time and lay down vocal tracks over what you just played.

This is one of the most powerful freebies I have ever found. Comparable to software mixing packages costing well over $100.

Borders apparently will not allow MP3 files here but you can go to the following link and listen to a really short sample what I did last night just to see what it could do with a little scale run in the E Blues Scale, first position.

I ran the scale (about 9 seconds) clean with no distortion, no reverb but with the gain on my little Marshall cranked up to get a bit of a "blues" sound. Then I started playing around with it with Audacity. I first compressed it to get a lot more gain out of the really quiet recording I'd made. Barely hear it through the amp I had it set so low. I then added a little echo using a room type echo. Had to crank in some wahwah. Then I added a little flange to it and a touch of phaser that you can hardly hear. Oh, I then duplicated the track and synced it up with the original and compressed the second track again. The results are at the following address:

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/mv2guest/test.mp3

Just Another Hired Hand
02-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm having a blast with Audacity! I mentioned it here because it has the ability to record any sound coming across your sound card as far as I know.

I listened to your rift. Very innovative. I played around with a guitar and recorded a melody with a second track bass part using Audacity. It's nothing I want to post, but the program itself is extremely versatile. Sorry I took so long to reply, but some time I get called away and have to travel on short notice.

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Between me and my hubby Tom, we probably have about 100--125 albums, providing a good cross-section of all major '70's and '80's rock&roll artists, with maybe a couple o' country acts thrown in for good measure. Tom's tastes in music back then tended to run a bit harder than mine, so he has the Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin. I've got more Billy Joel than I even remembered, Bruce, Southside Johnny, Loverboy, CSNY, Steve Winwood, Elvis Costello, Hall and Oates, Boston, Kansas, and of course the Eagles! And we both have countless others... I'm betting most of them are in excellent shape, because my turntable hasn't had a working stylus in at least the time we have lived in this house, which is coming up on 16 years. I guess it might be fun to get back into listening to all those oldies but goodies!

TimothyBFan
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
EV--my advice to you is do it!! We are having a blast with the vinyl. My friend Chris got a recordable turntable for Christmas and while my niece was here cutting and doing hair on Sunday, he & I were recording albums. I actually got my Timothy albums onto the computer so I can now put the on cd also instead of having to pay a fortune for them on ebay. There is just nothing like music from vinyl--JMHO!

Prettymaid
02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Last Friday Hubby came home from work and told me that a co-worker was giving away all of his albums. He asked me if he should get any and I told him yes, to use his best judgement. He did good! Last night he brought home five Joe Walsh albums.

The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get
So What
Barnstorm
But Seriously Folks
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

He also got On The Border, plus a bunch of Beatles, a Fleetwood Mac and others! He said he was going to go through them again today, so we'll see what he brings home for me tonight!

MikeA
02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Last night he brought home five Joe Walsh albums.

The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get
So What
Barnstorm
But Seriously Folks
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

Good Grief PM....WHAT A FIND!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially Barnstorm. Those are extremely hard to find.

eaglesvet
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Wow, lucky, PM!

Prettymaid
02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Tonight he brought home two James Gang Rides Again ( the one with Bolero included in The Bomber and the one without!), Thirds, Yer Album and James Gang Live In Concert. Plus Poco... A Good Feeling To Know and Poco Crazy Eyes. Plus a small assortment of other goodies!

Mike, you're a big Walsh fan from way back and your imput means a lot. Thanks!

Thanks EV!

eaglesvet
02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Poco is cool! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Wow! SCORE!

TimothyBFan
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
HOLY COW!!!! First, tell Eric good job picking out!! Second, what in the h*ll is that guy thinking? He is giving away quite a bit of good $$ there! If those Beatles albums are even in half decent shape, they are worth quite a bit. We have slowly been trying to replace some of our worn albums, and there are a few bands that are very hard to get reasonably, Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd being big ones.

I have a couple copies of Barnstorm and honestly, I see all of Joe's albums all the time at the record shows.

Love the picture on the front of Crazy Eyes!

You know, we are always going to record shows and finding record stores, if anyone really wants anything in particular, I would be glad to keep my eyes out for it and pick them up. Just let me know.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks Willie. I know nothing about this. In fact, if it weren't for your thread I probably wouldn't have been interested. In 1996 I moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois, and I gave all of my albums to the guys who helped load the u-haul. I just thought they were antiquated, with cds being the 'new' thing.

Is it just the album cover that should be in good shape as far as monetary value? These albums smell musty and one of the records that I randomly pulled out looked like it had molded.

As far as actually being able to play them - we don't own a player. I think Hubby is thinking of dispaying some of the covers on our basement wall.

MikeA
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
The covers would be my first priority. Of course the value is much enhanced if you have good vinyl inside that cover! You want to be able to read the labels and with Joe's early records, you want to be able to see the imprinting between the outside of the label and the end of the last track....many of them had "quotes" etched into the vinyl itself that many folks never noticed!

I won't tell you yet how I treated albums that all else fails on....not YET!

I don't know if either of these devices are still available. Probably not. Mine are at least 30 years old if not older.

But I do have a method that works for most cleaning needs. I have a Vac-U-Rec from WAY back when. It's a vacuum device that you stand the album in. It rotates the album and lets a couple of rows of soft brushes come into contact with the grooves. That loosens the larger particles that might be stuck in the gooves and the vacuum suction takes them away from the surface.

I then use a device called a Disc Washer that is nothing but a wooden backing to what looks like corduroy fabric stretched over a soft backing. There is a fluid that you might still be able to find. It's called "D4+ High Technology Record Cleaning Fluid". I bought the last four containers of it that were available in Wichita (it's been discontinued I guess). Anyway, I use that solution on the Disc Washer and hold it on the record while the record spins on the turntable. I get pretty rough with it if the record is in bad shape....you know, like those DJs who stop the spinning turntable with their hands and push it backwards. I don't push it backwards but I have actually held it stationary while I applied pressure to the vinyl.

This Discwasher action removes the rest of the particles that can't be removed any other way.

After letting the vinyl dry really well, I then try to capture it with Messer or Audacity or whatever I have available to "rip" the tracks. Then it's "off to work" on the monster editing process to remove the major pops and crackles if I can accomplish that without sacrificing too much of the fidelity.

TimothyBFan
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
PM as Mike said, most real collectors want a good cover and good vinyl! That would not be my vinyl--sorry to say-I used mine A LOT!!!!! Hence, not in the best of shape, but playable still, with my handy dandy Discwasher also. That usually gets things going again. Hence, the reason we are replacing many of our OLD vinyl with better.

I recently told everyone in the family to pick out 4 album covers that either we have or I can get so that I can frame and display everyone's selections throughout the house. Very proud of my daughters selections which include Skynyrd, Steve Miller Band, House of The Holy/Zeppelin and FM Rumours!! Child has good taste, my son, not so much!!! Of course Mom gets 10 albums and a very large wall to display them on! :wink:

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys. I think I remember disc washer from the old days. Don't you put a few drops of it on something that resembles a handleless lint brush?

MikeA
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. I think I remember disc washer from the old days. Don't you put a few drops of it on something that resembles a handleless lint brush?

Yeah, that's it....D4+ is the solution. Little Dab ul Do Ya.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, that's it....D4+ is the solution. Little Dab ul Do Ya.

No-o-o Mike, that's Brillcream!

MikeA
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
No-o-o Mike, that's Brillcream!

You're cheatin'.....you're not near old enough to remember THAT!

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Uh-h-h-h, no...of course not... my mom told me all about that brillcream stuff...

MikeA
02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Uh-h-h-h, no...of course not... my mom told me all about that brillcream stuff...

I never used it myself. My hair was all gone before they came out with it. :fear:

ticky
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
OHhh It went on your HAIR... duh.. of course *G*

MikeA
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
OHhh It went on your HAIR... duh.. of course *G*

"Brail-Cream" uh, no, ain't going there! <LOL>

TimothyBFan
06-05-2009, 01:01 PM
My husband usually gets off work by noon on Friday's and always stops at yard sales on the way home. He just came in the door with a new album for me. Portrait of Bobby by Bobby Sherman. :hilarious: I'm not a fan but he thought it was pretty cool because attached to the normal album cover is a "framed picture" of Bobby that you can detach and has a pop out easel on the back to make it look like a picture in a frame. We love these silly novelty albums and add as many of these as we can to our collection.

Do any of you remember this album? Quite a few on ebay but doesn't look like it's a big seller.

Brooke
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I remember BS, but never had an album of his.

I LOVE your new av TBF. :smokin:

GlennLover
06-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Do any of you remember this album? Quite a few on ebay but doesn't look like it's a big seller.

Cool TBF. I am a bit embarrassed to admit it but, I was a big BS fan (back in my much younger days).I thought that I had all his albums & I think that I know the one you mean. When the album opens up does it have a full length picture of him on the back? Can you name a couple of songs that are on it? I looked through my old, make that ancient, vinyl collection, but I must have gotten rid of it. Anyway, thanks for posting that. It brings back pleasant childhood memories :).

skibum1606
06-11-2009, 08:53 PM
last weekend my aunt lent me a handful of her albums to copy for "her", and i just started them, the first being a led zeppelin album and i am sad to say she didn't take very good care of them, there are scratches and fingerprints all over them. they seem to be salvageable but it kinda breaks my heart a little to see vinyl that's been so mistreated.

MikeA
06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
last weekend my aunt lent me a handful of her albums to copy for "her", and i just started them, the first being a led zeppelin album and i am sad to say she didn't take very good care of them, there are scratches and fingerprints all over them. they seem to be salvageable but it kinda breaks my heart a little to see vinyl that's been so mistreated.

I feel your pain...really! Even back in the 60's and 70's I was anal about vinyl care. You'd have thought I was performing surgery in a "clean room" when I played them...which was rarely. I never played an album other than to record it to reel-to-reel or cassette except for one "play" to clean the grooves.

Most of the others who I observed would rather listen to the scratches until the music was unrecognizable and then go buy another copy. I'd walk into the room where their stereo was located and see piles of vinyl NOT IN COVERS even!

06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Guilty, your honor!!!

I'm afraid I didn't take very good care of my vinyl's either back in the day. I did keep them in their covers, but I played them to death and only cleaned them when they started skipping. I figured I could just go out and buy another one if I really needed to. I know - appalling, isn't it!!! :shock:

I am technically better with my CDs but the only difference is that I don't play the originals. I only take them out to burn myself copies. Unfortunately, the burned copies get the same harsh treatment as my vinyls did. The good news is that now when I mess one up, I can just burn myself another copy, and the original stays preserved.

MikeA
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Guilty, your honor!!!

I'm afraid I didn't take very good care of my vinyl's either back in the day. I did keep them in their covers, but I played them to death and only cleaned them when they started skipping. I figured I could just go out and buy another one if I really needed to. I know - appalling, isn't it!!! :shock:

I am technically better with my CDs but the only difference is that I don't play the originals. I only take them out to burn myself copies. Unfortunately, the burned copies get the same harsh treatment as my vinyls did. The good news is that now when I mess one up, I can just burn myself another copy, and the original stays preserved.

And that's exactly what you should be doing! :thumbsup: It took a few CDs damaged in the car CD player to convince those who drive my car (not mentioning any names!) to play ONLY copies in the player in the car. If I had a vault, I'd keep ALL of my original Vinyl and CDs safely guarded against accidental destruction <LOL>

06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
And that's exactly what you should be doing! :thumbsup: It took a few CDs damaged in the car CD player to convince those who drive my car (not mentioning any names!) to play ONLY copies in the player in the car. If I had a vault, I'd keep ALL of my original Vinyl and CDs safely guarded against accidental destruction <LOL>

So - do I get time off for good behavior??? :lol: :lol:

skibum1606
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
up until a few years ago i didn't know how to copy/backup vinyl. but i always made sure to take good care of it, i would check it for dust before i played it an clean it if it needed it, i would take extra care not to put fingerprints on it and to make sure it didn't scratch and i would never let my friends touch them. i am now still in the process of backing it all up cause it takes quite a bit of time, i have always only played copies of cd's and kept the originals in the cases, and i have recently started doing the same thing with dvd's since my Queen live at Wembley DVD got scratched, and it was right in the middle of the acoustic set too :weep:, my computer did manage to spit out a usable copy of it though but i still need to buy a new copy one of these days

right now i am working on copying Genesis Nursery Cryme :grin::grooving:

skibum1606
06-12-2009, 12:45 PM

I'll Second all that

Prettymaid
06-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Even back in the 60's and 70's I was anal about vinyl care. You'd have thought I was performing surgery in a "clean room" when I played them...

Mike I knew a few guys just like you back in the seventies!

skibum1606
06-16-2009, 05:07 PM
so i was working with my aunts vinyl again today, and i am sad to say that aqualung was not salvageable :depressed: it was skipping everywhere, so sad.

MikeA
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Bummer.....at least you have the vinyl with the label and can keep it as a collectors' relic. How bad off is the cover and sheath? Maybe just frame it?

skibum1606
06-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Bummer.....at least you have the vinyl with the label and can keep it as a collectors' relic. How bad off is the cover and sheath? Maybe just frame it?
the cover is actually in really good shape, and i wish i could but my aunt just lent them to me to copy for her i can't actually keep it.

MikeA
06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
the cover is actually in really good shape, and i wish i could but my aunt just lent them to me to copy for her i can't actually keep it.

Well, you "could" say the milkman snuck into your house while you weren't looking and of all the things in the house, that is the ONLY thing he took!

skibum1606
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I suppose i could but i would feel really guilty about it. i just started a Beatles album and it has broken record syndrome right at the end of the fade out of Lucy in the sky, but i can work with that cause i have the entire song and i managed to start it perfectly at the beginning of the next song, lynyrd skynyrd it's pronounced... was a wash though.

on another thought i was just looking at the allman brothers album brothers and sisters and i noticed that the song listing on the back only listed 6 of the seven songs and the insert that credits the songs lists seven but one differs from the name of the song that's listed on the actual record, i was wondering if anyone could explain this to me.

TimothyBFan
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Here you go skibum--I remember this myself and remember doing research--Gotta love Wiki!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_and_Sisters_(album) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_and_Sisters_%28album%29)

Track listing

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brothers_and_Sisters_%28album%29&action=edit&section=2)] Side one

"Wasted Words" (Gregg Allman) - 4:20
"Ramblin' Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramblin%27_Man_%28The_Allman_Brothers_Band_song%29 )" (Richard Betts) - 4:48
"Come and Go Blues" (Gregg Allman) - 4:54
"Jelly Jelly" (Trade Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Martin)) - 5:46

[edit (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brothers_and_Sisters_%28album%29&action=edit&section=3)] Side two

"Southbound" (Richard Betts) - 5:11
"Jessica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_%28The_Allman_Brothers_Band_song%29)" (Richard Betts) - 7:31
"Pony Boy" (Richard Betts) - 5:51

Early pressings of the album were confused about the contents, with the label listing "Jelly Jelly", the album insert listing "Early Morning Blues", and the album cover listing neither.

skibum1606
06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
thanks for the info i was wondering about the whole "jelly jelly" "Early Morning Blues" thing, i still find it very odd.

eaglesvet
08-26-2009, 07:40 AM
One of my good friends is moving (a sad story I will relate at another time and place), and she had a bunch of albums she couldn't take. Needless to say, I thought of some folks here. After the few that I wanted, and accounting for duplicates of ones I already own, here's a listing of what's up for grabs for the price of shipping from NJ. A brief look at some of them reveal that they seem to be in pretty good to excellent shape, but if there is one in particular you are interested in, I can let you know if you ask.

Rolling Stones: It's Only Rock and Roll

Elton John: Caribou; Greatest Hits

Chicago: Chicago (the one with 'Colour My World')

Earth, Wind, & Fire: The Best of...

Beach Boys: Pickwick/33--Re-release

Barbra Streisand: Guilty (with Andy Gibb)

Supertramp Crime of the Century

Ohio Players: Honey

BTO: Not Fragile

Tower of Power: We Came to Play

Gary Numan: The Pleasure Principle

Dan Fogelberg: Captured Angel

Al Stewart: Year of the Cat

Inmates: First Offense

Jay Ferguson: Real Life Ain't This Way

David Gates (of Bread): Goodbye Girl

Janis Ian: Between the Lines

As of this weekend, I'll be away until Sept 10, but I will answer eventually. I wouldn't be able to do any mailing until after that.

MikeA
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Eva,

I used to have that BTO "Not Fragile" album. Probably still have it tucked into my pile (or one or them) somewhere. They were a good group and got quite a bit of play on my systems.

MikeA
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
For those of you who have vinyl collections, this turntable might be something you'd be interested in. At $99 for a USB turntable, it's worth looking at!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TTUSB

Prettymaid
07-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks Mike - I'm good!

MikeA
07-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm "good" too Cathy. I have a most excellent Techniques turntable but had to buy a Mickey-Mouse "turntable amp" to get the signal into my sound card. The USB device would eliminate the need for any of that type "stuff".

sodascouts
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
I got a USB turntable expressly for the purpose of converting vinyl that had not been released as a CD to a digital format, and I love it! Definitely worth the investment to have records that are not only collectibles, but listenables.

Mrs Henley
07-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I need to buy one with USB....hmm...

MikeA
07-24-2010, 08:37 AM
If you have vinyl you've saved or obtained recently, it would be a shame to not at least attempt "ripping" it to digital format so you can listen to it without further damaging the vinyl.

I mentioned that I had purchased a little "turntable amp" instead of buying a USB turntable. It didn't make sense to pay for a turntable when I still had a great turntable collecting dust! And the little amp or adapter only cost $20 on eBay I think.

It's really just an "adapter" that you plug in the two analog RCA cords from the turntable into on one side of the little box and then come out of the other side with a "Y" adapter to get it into 1/8" for the sound card. You don't want a 200 watt amp for this. All you want is an amp with impedence matched to the turntable so that it will boost the signal generated from the magnetic cartridge on the turntable enough for the sound card's mic input to pick up. You may have a sound card with more elaborate inputs.

There is a side benefit to the separate amp. Not too many cassette decks have outputs that are matched impedence with sound cards but running my old Techniques Cassette Deck through the turntable adapter made it a viable input device. The only problem was that the heads on the deck had been unmaintained for so long that I never did get them completely cleaned and demagnatized! Besides, all of the old cassettes I had were so old the mylar had turned brittle <LOL>. I only used it once and that was to digitize an interview with Joe that he'd done with Mark Lane down in Australia.

whitcap
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I've been collecting vinyl over the last few months. I've got 54 albums right now and most of them are in great condition. I've got a record player too but the belt is stretched. I ordered a new belt for it today so I should be good to go in a week or two.

EaglesKiwi
09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I've been collecting vinyl over the last few months. I've got 54 albums right now and most of them are in great condition. I've got a record player too but the belt is stretched. I ordered a new one today so I should be good to go in a week or two.
We've been collecting vinyl too, my husband has a stack that he has to clean so we can play them. :hilarious:

Enjoy your new turntable.

TimothyBFan
09-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Glad to hear it WC and EK!!! Warning tho---once you start, you can't stop! We are well over 900 albums now. It's an addiction!

whitcap
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear it WC and EK!!! Warning tho---once you start, you can't stop! We are well over 900 albums now. It's an addiction!

I've already become addicted :hilarious:. There are three or four thrift store type places near my house that always have used records. I go in those as often as I can to check out what they have. Sometimes I leave with nothing and sometimes I walk out with a bunch.

EaglesKiwi
09-29-2011, 04:16 AM
My husband casually dropped into conversation that some new vinyl now comes with a digital download - now THAT is the best of many worlds!

The turntable is in our garage, I was sitting in there Saturday on the couch with Rob and giving him a shoulder massage while we listened to the first side of Hotel California (& had a quiet wine)... very nice.

Then Sparky-dog came over and sat down right in front of me with his back to me - we think he was expecting a massage too! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
09-29-2011, 07:35 AM
I've got an album show on Sunday. So excited because have missed the last 2 because of all the crap that went on this summer. If anyone wants me to look for anything in particular for them, please feel free to let me know & I'll try and find it. I've had pretty good luck in the past for folks here. Love buying vinyl and shipping it out to others. Keeps me from buying so much more for myself. :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Did you pick up anything for yourself Willie?

TimothyBFan
10-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for asking, GA. Unfortunately, we ended up not going. It's been a ridiculous few months and we have booth been working 50-60 hours a week and cleaning out my Mom's house on the weekends, etc... I looked around me Saturday at the boxes we had brought home Saturday, the laundry I hadn't gotten to yet, the empty refrigerator because I hadn't gotten groceries yet, etc... and it was painfully obvious that we should stay home and try to play catch up rather than actually go do something fun. :hilarious: Who needs more vinyl anyways? This was the 3rd one in a row we have missed, the 1st one, our friend Millie had just passed the day before, the 2nd one was the day we put my Mom in ICU and then this one. Real life sure gets in the way some times! There will be another one in a couple months, we'll try to make it again.

Glennsallnighter
10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Well remember Willie, to take a little time to yourself as well. You are so caring, and such an anchor for your family, but you don't want to burn yourself out completely. :hug:

Tiffanny Twisted
07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Ok, In this digetal age, I have raised a son with JAHH who is a vinyl dude.

That being siad, I have a promo copy of Born To run -bruce springdsteen
that was sent to me by a late fried who was a radio dj in the philly area market.

I loved that album ,played it over and over again and it arrived before the album hit the streets for sale since it was a promo copy.

Sorry, never had Eagles on vinyl. Couldnt afford it back them..too poor

whitcap
05-07-2013, 03:19 AM
I'm quite proud of my little vinyl collection. I have about 150 albums at the moment :)

TimothyBFan
05-07-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm quite proud of my little vinyl collection. I have about 150 albums at the moment :)

:thumbsup: Love it!!!!

sodascouts
05-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Cool!

Outlawman13
05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
That is pretty awesome!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
my kids got you all beat lol...we have to store it all while he is in chicago lol

TimothyBFan
05-07-2013, 08:00 PM
1,123 at last count for us. Been to a record show since then & picked up a few more.

TT- I haven't forgotten you - I still need to go check in the garage and see what we have. Hang in there for me.

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 08:30 PM
1,123 at last count for us. Been to a record show since then & picked up a few more.

TT- I haven't forgotten you - I still need to go check in the garage and see what we have. Hang in there for me.

Yep, gotta say TBF has the most extensive record collection I've ever seen. Looks like a record store in their garage! Very impressive! And the nice thing is they actually play them.

TimothyBFan
05-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Yep, gotta say TBF has the most extensive record collection I've ever seen. Looks like a record store in their garage! Very impressive! And the nice thing is they actually play them.

That we do. Almost daily, this time of year. Every evening we try to play one or two.

WalshFan88
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I've got a few now and no turntable. :hilarious: They just opened up a killer vinyl store not too far from here but they have weird hours and unfortunately lately every time I've been in that town they are closed. :(

Tiffanny Twisted
05-08-2013, 06:59 PM

thank you

watchtower
12-01-2015, 09:28 PM
I actually own more 45s than I do LPs. My rare ones are two Buckingham Nicks 45s and the Buckingham Nicks LPs(gatefold and single.)

AlreadyGone95
12-02-2015, 02:46 AM
The Buckingham Nicks lp is my most prized album in my vinyl collection. Don Henley's Cass County is another one. (Again thanks to NOLA for the gift) Most of my albums are common ones that are easy to find. I have roughly 300 lps and 50 singles(45s). Here's a list of my collection.
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/motormouth16/oo,fmt.LP

watchtower
12-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Nice collection! I need to make a list like that as well. I have about 100 LPs and about 400 45s. Hunting for 45s is an addiction of mine. It doesn't help that they're really cheap most of the time. I have every Fleetwood Mac/Buckingham Nicks/Stevie Nicks/and Lindsey Buckingham 45s. I'm currently on the hunt for Lindsey Buckingham's Out of the Cradle LP. It wasn't released in the States so I'm scouring overseas for it. It's the only LB vinyl I don't have. I'm really hoping they release Say You Will on vinyl.

AlreadyGone95
12-02-2015, 02:23 PM
I find that Goodwill is a great place to find 45s. That's were I found most of mine. If it's a song I like, I'll usually buy it. I'm on a somewhat tight budget, and so I don't buy the more expensive records.

WalshFan88
12-22-2015, 05:14 AM
I miss my vinyl guy that moved away. Now I don't get my fix as often (everything has to be done online now).

DJ
12-30-2015, 05:48 PM
I have a huge vinyl collection. I have all the Eagles albums through HC. I have quite a few weird albums too by fairly unknown bands such as Chuck Wagon and The Wheels. They were famous in the 80's for the song Disco Sucks..Huh!! Very old CW style music but pretty good. A friend also turned me onto the Keane Brothers. I listened to all types of music back in those days. I really don't have a lot of respect for most of today's music. With the exception of Adele and a few others. Just doesn't seem like real music to me. Real music to me is not only the singer but the band and the music itself.

Outlawman13
01-22-2016, 12:09 AM
I have all of the Eagles on vinyl now and of course those are my favvie ones!

AlreadyGone95
01-22-2016, 02:03 PM
I publicly posted my entire Eagles/Glenn collection on Facebook the night he died. I now cherish my collection even more, and I hope to add to it soon. I've asked my friends who I buy records from to be on the lookout for anything Eagles or Glenn.

One thing that gets me about musicians' deaths is people who jack up the prices of their music afterwards. I saw a copy of the Allnighter on ebay yesterday, just an average copy, for $100. Normally, it goes for anywhere between $3-$8.

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 08:06 PM
my older brother has every Beetles album twice. One set has never even had the plastic open

I want that someday...