PDA

View Full Version : New book by Susie and Joe Vitale

Nina300
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey all you Joe and Eagles worshippers! :rockguitar:

First...... Thank all of you who helped me find pics of Waddy with Joe Walsh. That was so sweet of you.

Next...... I wanted to thank you by letting you know about a new book I just got. It was written by Joe Vitale (drummer with Joe Walsh, Eagles, and others for many years) with help from his wife Susie and their son Joe, Jr.

It's filled with great color and b&w photos and stories you wouldn't hear anywhere else. Vitale hooked up with Walsh in Ohio, toured with him in the James Gang and Barnstorm, and eventually played with Eagles too. The stories of them on the road and in the studio are fantastic.

Here's the link to where you can buy the book Backstage Pass:
http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/02370.htm

Have fun!
-Nina

AzEaglesFan
02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Great article about Joe and the book and some interesting Walsh news...

http://www.ohio.com/entertainment/enjoy/39060672.html

TimothyBFan
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks AZ for posting that. I love the story about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Too funny!!! I have got to get this book.

ticky
02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Great review AZ! thanks!! I've been wanting to read this book! and BTW, Speaking In Drums is a great CD!!

MikeA
02-05-2009, 09:47 PM
AND, by the way....2010....Walsh and Vitale? Zippity Do Da, Zippity Aa! Got a guitar and got a drum. Need a bass. Hey, "Rick the Bassman, where you are?"

ticky
02-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Wadayasay Mike? hit Vegas when Joe and Joe do? DAY~UM!!! do ya think there might be a Barnstorm reunion in the makes?????

MikeA
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Wadayasay Mike? hit Vegas when Joe and Joe do? DAY~UM!!! do ya think there might be a Barnstorm reunion in the makes?????

Zippity-do-Da, Zippity-Ayaaaaa.........................................! :blueblob:

ticky
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Here's a blog review of Joey V's new book. Sounds like fun!

Around Hear
Your Source For Local Music News
By D.x. Ferris
You might not know his name, but if you're a classic rock fan, you've probably listened to Joe Vitale's work every day since the '70s. Vitale, a Canton-based drummer, recounts his 40-year career in a new book, Backstage Pass.

The unusually low-key rock memoir - as told to wife Susie Vitale - presents the human side of the iconic artists he's worked with, including the Eagles, Joe Walsh, and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

"We wanted to write the stuff that you never hear about," says Vitale. Born in Canton, Vitale quit Walsh College in 1969 and moved to Kent to join its nationally respected music scene. Vitale recalls the Kent State riots, then offers a lighter episode: After a show in Cleveland, Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and Robert Plant followed opening act the James Gang to Kent. There they played a late-night jam at JB's. Impressed with the fresh new faces, owner Joe Bujack offered Page and Plant a steady gig at his bar. (Amused, they politely turned him down.)

Vitale met Joe Walsh in Kent where, in 1971, Walsh asked him to join his post-James Gang project, Barnstorm. Vitale would play on all Walsh's solo records and follow him to the Eagles (he was their touring drummer). But first, he got a call from Ted Nugent, which led to work with Dan Fogelberg, a steady position with CSN (he's been the drummer for 33 of the band's 40 years) and a collection of a dozen gold and platinum records. The hardcover book is a breezy read with dozens of candid pictures.

Vitale will sign the book and his latest solo album, Speaking in Drums, from 7-9 p.m. Friday, March 20, at the Medina Borders (4927 Grande Shops Ave.). Also from 3-5 p.m. Saturday, March 21, at the Strongsville Borders (17200 Royalton Rd.), and 3-5 p.m. Saturday, March 28, at the Cuyahoga Falls Borders (335 Howe Ave.). Learn more at joevitaleondrums.com.

Apt. 213 ringleader Steve Makita (also of Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Lockweld) has launched a monthly festival of extreme multimedia terror. Audio/Visual Baptism hosts local and touring noise and experimental acts. Cleveland power-electronics ensemble Quell will return for the third session at 9 p.m. Sunday, March 22, at Now That's Class (11213 Detroit Ave.). "AVB has an old Speak In Tongues feel to it," says Makita. "Come out and be a part of a new unwritten history."

Chimaira has released "Secrets of the Dead," the first new single from its upcoming album, The Infection (due out Tuesday, April 21), via iTunes. Take a free listen at myspace.com/chimaira.

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I got a copy of this book from Susie Vitale a while back, and I'm working on a review for it. It's definitely worth the money for any Joe W. fan. It's great!

Brooke
03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok, learn something new everyday here! :thumbsup:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't know the Eagles had a 'touring drummer' before Farewell 1. :blush:

Freypower
03-19-2009, 06:19 PM
As far as I know Vitale was only on the Long Run/Play & Wave tours. There is a photo of him on the Eagles Live poster. I've never known on which songs he played drums, though apparently Those Shoes was one of them.

ticky
04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's a really great interview with Joe Vitale that came out on my google alerts this morning.
Joe Vitale/John DeBella Interview (http://tickypages.com/picturebin/joeyvint.mp3)

tbs fanatic
04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Great find. That was fun to listen to.

MikeA
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
That was a fun listen Rhonda! Thanks. (mace...chuckle!)

TimothyBFan
04-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for posting that Rhonda. He sounds like the kind of guy that would be fun to sit down and have a beer with and listen to his stories!!

Prettymaid
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Is it just me or does Joe Vitales' voice remind you of Joe Walsh? Same tone, inflections...

ticky
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I thought so too Cathy, but then they spent a lot of time together and pretty much grew up in the same area. Those Joy-zee accents are pretty similar *G*

Prettymaid
04-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I thought so too Cathy, but then they spent a lot of time together and pretty much grew up in the same area. Those Joy-zee accents are pretty similar *G*

That was my thought, too. They spent so much time together they started to sound alike!

MikeA
05-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Got the book and have been saving it for our upcoming trip! Really have had trouble NOT reading it. It sounds like one of those that will be too entertaining to put down and should give a totally different perspective on the music scene. Hope so.

MikeA
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, back from Vegas and didn't crack the book! So it's still tantalizing me with it's need to be read!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Welcome to my world, Mike. I've had the book for several months now, and still have not gotten around to reading it. I've started it about three times, but haven't made it past page 50 yet! :shock:

Prettymaid
05-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Dreamer, are you having trouble keeping interested or are you just too busy? (Wondering if I should get it.)

Ive always been a dreamer
05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh no, PM - I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I think the book will be very entertaining if I could just find the time to read it. As I always say, I hate it when real life gets in the way of what's important. lol

Prettymaid
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Well, I ordered Backstage Pass yesterday from Amazon. Looking forward to getting it!

MikeA
05-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Finally read the last of the Asimov "Foundation" series...the Second Foundation Trilogy...kind of funny: That original "trilogy" ended up being 9 novels!

So, now I'm reading "Backstage Pass". I had no idea that Joe Vitale and Joe Walsh built a studio in Nederland, Colorado.

It struck me because several years ago (2004 or 2005 or possibly 2206 I think) I went on a motorcycle tour with some guys from around here who were meeting up with the MTA (Motorcycle Touring Association) in Estes Park. My objective on that tour was to visit the park where Joe had the children's fountain set up as a memorial to Emma.

The memorial is located in a park in the northwest area of the Boulder metropolitan area. After finally finding that park and the fountain, three of us took off on a canyon ride that took us through Nederland. In fact, we stopped there for lunch. I had no idea that Joe (either Joe) was connected to that town in any way!

What I do know is that the drive from Boulder to Nederland takes you down a very twisty canyon road with those trademark rushing streams right by the highway. It is Navarna to a motorcyclist...especially one who tends to overcook the turns! Quite an adrenalin rush to be on a cruiser and enter a hairpin turn about 20 or 30 mph too fast! I drug parts on that motorcycle that should NEVER come into contact with the pavement! When we pulled over in Nederland to catch our breath and talk about the scenery....well, it took me 5 or 10 minutes before I could even TALK! Heartrate was about double where is should have been! I'd love to do it again!

That canyon ride is only 16 miles long, but look at the map of that road I've attached!

MikeA
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
This book is a "Must Read" folks. It's like a breath of fresh air after all of the "other" Rock and Roll books I've read. I'm half-way through it and the closest thing to a "sex scene" is mention of one of the rockers (Steven Stills I think but don't quote me) who striped down and took a shower in his own dressing room while Joe and Susie were in the room with them backstage.

The only mention of drugs so far was that of fans at a concert who were being tended at a first aid tent.

It's just a very uplifting book that emphasizes the up-side of the life Vitale lived. It may change in the last half of the book, but leave that without speculation at this point.

What gets to me is the number of artists that Joe has recorded with! Unbelievable! Some of you may have heard of Phil Keagey. He was in the Kent area when Joe Walsh was there (and I learned from the book that Walsh was actually arrested and jailed the night before the students were shot during the riots! He was arrested simply because he was sitting out on the porch of his residence at the time when all students had been ordered by the military to STAY INSIDE!)

Anyway, back to Keagey. Phil is one of the most phenomenal guitarists I've ever heard. Back in the late Sixties, Phil formed a Psychedelic band called "Glass Harp". But before they made it "big" Phil had a life-changing religious experience. I don't recall what it was, but he completely divorced himself from secular music and devoted all of his time and talents to nothing but inspirational music.

It was my pleasure back in the 90's to accompany another musician friend of mine (Rob Loren, who toured with Ray Price as his violinist), to a concert that Phil was doing at a College Town between Wichita and Salina. I was to met Rob, who had gone out to dinner before the concert with Phil and another Dr. friend who was responsible for bring Phil to the College. The Dr is a guitarist of some merit in his own right and Rob, the Dr. and I had played together before during Praise services.

Anyway, I got to the college a little early in order to greet Rob and our Dr friend and when they pulled up, I was surprised to see Phil in the car with them. I met Phil and talked with him a bit and then helped him lug his equipment into the assembly hall at the College and helped him get it set up and listened to his sound check. Quite an experience!

Phil performed that night with nothing but an acoustic guitar, a looping sequencer, and his amazing voice. Phil is a very small guy. Likely no more that 5' 5" tall. He has a missing finger on his right hand that was pinched off by one of those old antique water pumps that have long handles. It doesn't effect his playing in the least! And his voice...It can hit notes that are completely off the charts!

There is a story told by Ted Nugent (who by the way, though rocker through and through, never did drugs, never drank and didn't smoke!) that tells of Ted trying to get Phil to teach him some lick on the guitar that Ted wanted to learn. The only way Phil would teach him the lick was if Ted would let Phil "witness" to him. Ted learned the lick!

There are several mentions of Phil Keagey in Joe Vitale's "Backstage Pass".

MikeA
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I finished the book today! You don't come away from this book feeling like you have just read the definitive work on Rock-n-Roll Gods. But you do come away feeling like it was NOT a complete age of catastrophe.

And the things that were "explained" about Walsh that we didn't know the background for....like the "How Ya Doin" trademark of Joe's! OR maybe you didn't know that Joe Vitale is Lucy Walsh's Godfather!

Of the pranks "They" (They meaning Vitale along with plenty of accomplices!) pulled, I don't even want to mention for fear it will take away from the pleasure you will get when you read the book.

I loved it! And hey, go to Joe's MySpace joevitaleondrums. He's sorta good. <LOL> And his son Joe Jr. has it together too!

Prettymaid
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
My book arrived yesterday - I'm up to chapter three!

anne-o-gg
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm gonna have to get this book!

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I've attempted to scan in some pages from the book Hope it works!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/joevitalepic1.jpg

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/joevitalepic2.jpg

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/joevitalepic3.jpg

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/joevitalepic4.jpg

melrose
05-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I've just ordered my Joe Vitale book earlier today, and am hoping to get it rather soon. I'm glad to see that it is getting such great reviews from you guys, it gives me something to look forward to for a good summer reading book.

Prettymaid
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm almost finished with the book. It's a great read! He explains how Joe Walsh started wearing the crazy stage outfits and also how the Joe Walsh phrase "How ya doin?" came to be. And lots more of course!

MikeA
05-27-2009, 09:28 AM
The book is worth the price just for the pictures! It is a good lite easy read. Joe Vitale left the "dark side" of Rock to the other writers who specialize in that sort of stuff...and, I'm not JUST referring to Don Felder. So go elsewhere if you are not interested in "good" side of a Rock Star's life!

AzEaglesFan
05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I agree Mike, the book was worth the money for the photos alone but throw in a lot of good humor and I think the book is a winner. I too enjoyed the fact that Joe Vitale didn't rake anyone over the coals and seemed to find a lot of good where others didn't. I found the great water fight tale funny.

jdubfan
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I've went thru the book fast the first time, and now I'm re-reading the Eagles/Joe sections again. I broke my bunny ears and currently have no tv, so that frees up some time....good stories by a good guy having a good time.
I lived in Thornton CO for about 6 months and then Broomfield for about a year and a half in 85-87. Still have family in Arvada and Hudson. I've been on that road between Boulder and Nederland many times. Even went back one year to the Frozen Dead Guy fest, crazy stuff. I had a 1972 jeep almost exactly like the one in Joe's pics. Sure brings back memories...sure miss those mountains.

EagleLady
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Is there any chance this book may become available at Books A Million anytime soon?

MikeA
05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Don't know about the availability of the book on Books A Million, but I'm going after Joe Vitale Jr's new recording! The Old Man's too! They really are good and I like to see ANYONE continue even after labels have turned them down!

I think there are so many "acts" that should be successful who end up giving it up. We, the consumers are really missing out on some great music!

Peekaboo
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Joe Vitale is going to be a guest on the Bob and Tom radio show tomorrow morning. I may not get to listen to it tomorrow morning but I do get the podcasts so I will get around to listening to it sometime in the next few days. No idea if he's going to be in the studio or just calling into the show. Either way, it should be a pretty good interview.

http://www.bobandtom.com/gen3/index.htm

sodascouts
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Another interview:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/07/get_lit_joe_vitales_backstage.php

Malc
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Have I simply missed the thread ... or hasn't the new autobiography of Joe Vitale had a mention yet ?! Just received my copy and it looks great !! Loads of Joe Walsh stories and a fair bit on his time with the Eagles, CSNY etc
Anyone read it yet ?

MikeA
08-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Malc,

There is a thread:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54191&postcount=1

Prettymaid
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I was just getting ready to do the same thing Mike.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359

sodascouts
08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey guys, gonna merge the threads with my magical admin powers! ;)

MikeA
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I enjoyed the book tremendously just for the "read". No cliff-hangers...just really good documentation of life experiences of a man who obviously enjoys life and who is blessed with a butt-load of musical talent. I came away from the book with even higher regard for Joe Vitale. Enough so that I started rekindling a long time desire to pound on some skins!