PDA

View Full Version : Pro-con Eagles story

river4340
01-23-2009, 10:26 AM
A debate between an Eagles Lover and an Eagles Hater:

http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/music/2009-01-23/story/a_band_that_soars_or_bores

Here's an excerpt:

The Eagles are coming to the town, to the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena on Wednesday. A couple of years ago, voters named them the greatest American rock band ever in a contest right here in the Times-Union. Of course, everyone's not a fan. They've got their detractors, as well. As luck would have it, we stumbled upon this discussion between two music fans on opposite sides of the Eagles fence.

Eagles Lover: I can't believe we're even having this conversation. Look at what they've done: They've sold more than 100 million records. Their greatest hits is the best selling album of all time!

Eagles Hater: Britney Spears sells a lot of records; that doesn't make her good. Look, the Dude knew. You remember The Big Lebowski, when he was in the back of that cab? Remember that? "Jesus, man, could you change the channel? ... Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the ... Eagles, man!"

TimothyBFan
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks River! Too funny!! I remember seeing that movie the first time (I have had the misfortune of seeing it several times! I didn't get why that movie was such a hit:eyebrow:) and screaming at the TV because of that line. Everyone in the room just looked at me and hubby just shook his head.

Welcome from me! Hope you enjoy it here and let us know about any Eagles "experiences" you may have had and your fandom!

Brooke
01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Go read the whole article. It's pretty funny!

And welcome river!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-23-2009, 12:24 PM
First of all, welcome river. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here. This line from your post immediately caught my attention:

A couple of years ago, voters named them the greatest American rock band ever in a contest right here in the Times-Union.This is very cool! I remember that contest very well because I participated in it. It was in March 2005 and they selected 64 bands to compete in a tournament in conjunction with the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament that year. The Eagles easily beat out Creedence Clearwater Revival in the final round to claim the title of "The Greatest American Rock Band of All Time". One of my comments on their blog actually got quoted in their newspaper when they announced the winner.

The contest is particularly fresh in my mind because I made copies of all the info I have a few weeks ago to send to Soda. If I get a chance, I may try to scan some stuff to post. It may make for an interesting discussion here on The Border.

eaglesvet
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
That would be great! BTW, hi River!