PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham, AL 1-24-09

DonFan
01-25-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm back---and the show was FABULOUS as always! It really was fun seeing the show with a group of people who had never seen it, giving me fresh eyes as well. My daughter Rachel (Bamagirl) took well over 200 pictures with the new Nikon camera we gave her for Christmas, so I will post some pics as soon as I can.

The guys weren't as quite as chatty as they were in Memphis, but they were still pretty talkative--all except Don. The only time he talked was his standard line about taking a break and then "we'll come back and sing a long time" during his intro to Long Run. He did sing "All the debutantes in Bama, baby, couldn't hold a candle to you," to big cheers from the hometown crowd.

Rachel laughed when Glenn said his line about "That was the botanical portion of the show, 'No More Walks in the Woods & 'Waiting in the Weeds.' Next is the meteorological portion, 'No More Cloudy Days.'" Then, when Glenn was introducing Lyin' Eyes, he said it was written at Dan Tana's, "A repository for some of the world's most beautiful women, all of them unattainable to us." Glenn didn't add any little extras during the introductions that I hadn't heard before, except to add that Scotty won the football pool six times. No "My Girl" tonight.

Timothy did his bit where he says, "It's my turn to talk now," and pointed to the nosebleed seats and said "I see you up there---and over there too." He sang two lines of "Tempted by the Fruit of Another" when he was taking about Paul Carrack then added, "But he's not here and we are, so we're going to sing now."

"Long Road Out of Eden" continues to be my real favorite live. Don's vocals, Joe's guitar work--the whole song is just breathtaking. And I never tire of watching Don rock his guitar and share a mic with Timothy on "Somebody."

When they came back for the encore, Glenn sang a little bit of Randy's Newman's song, "Birmingham": "We've been traveling across this entire land and there ain't no place like Birmingham!"

I have certainly been spoiled by having close seats. Our seats were on Joe's side on the first set of risers on the side, not really bad but of course I wish we had been closer. I did get to watch the screens more this time, since I was further back. Just ONCE I wish I could have a seat where Don doesn't have cymbal-head when he sits at the drums, however! But here's the best part: when Don got ready to sing Desperado, my friend Deanna said, "I wonder if they will let us go down front so I can take some pictures during the last song?" She slipped out and headed down the stairs so I followed her down on the floor. I figured the guards would send us right back to our seats but they didn't. She took some pictures behind the first block of floor seats then she asked the guard if we could go down front for the very end of the song. To my complete astonishment he said YES, and escourted us down to the end of the barricade on Timothy's side in front of the front row! We were right inside the barricade--they were literally just a few feet from us! Her hands were shaking as she was taking the pictures and I was absolutely frozen, being that close to the stage as Don sang that long, loooooong "Let somebody loooooooove you..." It was unbelievable. Then the house lights came up and they lined up for their group bow, and Don & Glenn came over to our side of the stage and stood right in front of us. I blew Don a kiss and he grinned and looked right at me before walking to the other side of the stage. Then Timothy and Joe walked over right in front of us and bowed, and Timothy was blowing kisses to the entire front row. If I had had ANY idea that we would have been able to get that close, I would have brought roses again! Anyway, I couldn't believe our luck. You just never know what you'll get unless you ask! It was the PERFECT ending to a wonderful night!

EagleLady
01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Aww DF, That is so awesome. Don has an adorable grin.

DonFan
01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Eagles Deliver--by Jim Dunn -- For The Birmingham News
Saturday January 24, 2009
The economy is comparable to that of the Eagles' '70s heyday, and so was the crowd response. And the crowd, for that matter. It's a safe bet that many of the concertgoers that nearly filled the BJCC Arena tonight were reliving an experience they first took part in during the Carter administration, judging by the slightly middle-aged demographics.
In its first, hour-long set, the band -- Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- played some songs from its newest CD, "Long Road Out of Eden," like "Busy Being Fabulous" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More."
They're good songs, but it didn't matter. The crowd paid their ticket money for "Witchy Woman," "Hotel California," "Lyin' Eyes" (which Frey dedicated to "my first wife, Plaintiff"), "Peaceful, Easy Feelin'" and "In the City."
And they got their money's worth. The band delivered the moneymakers with the polish that decades of recording and touring affords. The voices might have been the teensiest bit weaker (but, in the Eagles' defense, some of those harmonies have always been vocal cord-stretchers), but that everlasting, cool, '70s California vibe was as strong live in 2009 as it was on 8-track in 1976.
The band broke for an intermission at about 9:30 with "The Long Run," saying that they'd be back to play for "a long, long time."
The second half of the Eagles' show was peppier than the first, with a more relaxed feel, particularly whenever Joe Walsh took the spotlight for "Walk Away" and "Funk 49," from his time with the James Gang, and "Life's Been Good" from his solo career.
"Funk" had the addition of a four-piece horn section that made the song even greasier than the radio version, plus Walsh's extended shredding on his sherbet-green guitar. Walsh not only has the strongest guitar chops, but his voice was the strongest, too, a surprising fact for a guy not known for having the healthiest of lifestyles..
The weakest part of the second set were the four numbers the band performed on stools. They might have been shooting for a homey feeling, but the target they hit was more community singalong.
For a full review of The Eagles at the BJCC Arena, see Monday's Birmingham News.

EagleLady
01-25-2009, 11:33 AM
That last comment really irks me. Obviously it was written by a hater who doesn't appreciate The Eagles :brickwall:

TimothyBFan
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM
then she asked the guard if we could go down front for the very end of the song. To my complete astonishment he said YES, and escourted us down to the end of the barricade on Timothy's side in front of the front row! We were right inside the barricade--they were literally just a few feet from us!

Out of 200 pictures and getting that close on Timothy's side, do I dare hope for a couple spectacular shots of Mr. Schmit? :pray::pray::pray:

DonFan
01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
TBF, Rachel got spectacular shots of ALL four guys. It worked out great--I got a new pair of binoculars for Christmas-- lightweight, tiny, and very powerful--so I was happy being able to watch everyone very close up; and she got a new camera for Christmas so she was happy to take all the pictures. We made a very good pair.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow DF - what a night for you and your gang! Thanks for the great review. I was especially pleased to hear that you were allowed up front after the experience we had with security in Hampton. How awesome that view must have been!!! At least that tells me that it was the venue that was so strict in Hampton rather than the band. Can't wait to see 'Bamagirl's pics.

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm delighted you both had such a great time at the gig DF and Bamagirl. How lovely to have gotten that bit of attention from Don. Can't wait to see Bamagirl's pics. I'm sure she has done herself proud.

Brooke
01-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds wonderful DF! I'm glad you guys had such a great time! Can't wait to see the evidence!

Littlemelly9
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
You must have had lots of fun:)

DonFan
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Here are a few pictures from last night. Bamagirl was impressed with the way the images on the screens complemented the words of each song.

Waiting in the Weeds: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/025_25.jpg

Grinning Glenn made us both laugh:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/044_44.jpg

She thought Joe looked very cool here:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/053_53.jpg

Just Another Hired Hand
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the great review DF. From the time of your post I can tell you were really stoked and coldn't wait to share your thoughts. Your post is just another testament to the greatest live show on the road today.

As soon as I put up my post I checked out the pictures...great shots. Tiffanny Twisted and I could not get any pictures at any of the shows we went to because the camera nazis were out in full force. They rlaxed the camera rules a little at the November show...just when we figured bringing a camera would be pointless so we didn't bring one.

DonFan
01-25-2009, 08:41 PM
A shot of the crowd from Joe's helmet cam:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/046_46.jpg

The Long Run:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/020_20.jpg

During Dirty Laundry:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/059_59.jpg

DonFan
01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Timothy times two:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/010_10.jpg

Funk 49:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/061_61.jpg

In the City:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/064_64.jpg

DonFan
01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Goodbye!
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/075_75-1.jpg

eaglesvet
01-25-2009, 09:08 PM
AAAAHHHH, DF!!! Right in front of you!!! Don and Glenn, smiling!! And then Joe and Tim!! How could you stand it??!! :jealous:

OK, I've calmed down now. I think Rachel's pix are great...we don't have any that I can recall where you can see such great full backgrounds and then the band in front like that. :thumbsup: Now, we are all anxiously holding our collective breath to see Deanna's closeups from Desperado...:jawdrop::fainted:

eaglesvet
01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Eagles Deliver--by Jim Dunn -- For The Birmingham News
Saturday January 24, 2009
The economy is comparable to that of the Eagles' '70s heyday, and so was the crowd response. And the crowd, for that matter. It's a safe bet that many of the concertgoers that nearly filled the BJCC Arena tonight were reliving an experience they first took part in during the Carter administration, judging by the slightly middle-aged demographics.
In its first, hour-long set, the band -- Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit -- played some songs from its newest CD, "Long Road Out of Eden," like "Busy Being Fabulous" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More."
They're good songs, but it didn't matter. The crowd paid their ticket money for "Witchy Woman," "Hotel California," "Lyin' Eyes" (which Frey dedicated to "my first wife, Plaintiff"), "Peaceful, Easy Feelin'" and "In the City."
And they got their money's worth. The band delivered the moneymakers with the polish that decades of recording and touring affords. The voices might have been the teensiest bit weaker (but, in the Eagles' defense, some of those harmonies have always been vocal cord-stretchers), but that everlasting, cool, '70s California vibe was as strong live in 2009 as it was on 8-track in 1976.
The band broke for an intermission at about 9:30 with "The Long Run," saying that they'd be back to play for "a long, long time."
The second half of the Eagles' show was peppier than the first, with a more relaxed feel, particularly whenever Joe Walsh took the spotlight for "Walk Away" and "Funk 49," from his time with the James Gang, and "Life's Been Good" from his solo career.
"Funk" had the addition of a four-piece horn section that made the song even greasier than the radio version, plus Walsh's extended shredding on his sherbet-green guitar. Walsh not only has the strongest guitar chops, but his voice was the strongest, too, a surprising fact for a guy not known for having the healthiest of lifestyles..
The weakest part of the second set were the four numbers the band performed on stools. They might have been shooting for a homey feeling, but the target they hit was more community singalong.
For a full review of The Eagles at the BJCC Arena, see Monday's Birmingham News.
Weakest?!! I happen to LOVE the songs they do in the beginning of the second set, as I imagine many of us do. I don't get the impression of either hominess nor community singalong...it's just the style of song that lends itself to that acoustic presentation. Oh, brother!

DonFan
01-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Ask and you shall receive, EV:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/DSC00125.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/dcrisson/DSC00126.jpg

TimothyBFan
01-26-2009, 08:50 AM

:shock: OMG!!! :drool: :fainted::inlove::inlove:

Bamagirl can have the honor of taking pictures anyday!! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

EagleLady
01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
That is a very nice pic of Timmy. Open shirt too :drool:

jdubfan
01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Holy Cats! Great review and pics :thumbsup: Don't want to wish my life away, but I really can't wait for my March shows now :partytime:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Holy crap - those are great!!! Please congratulate your film crew for us, DF. :)

jdubfan
01-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Are they usually allowing pics to be taken now? I know at the Chi show I left my camera in the car because of what the ticket said, then a few songs into the show, Glenn says we don't mind if you take pics, just don't film us...:enraged: Timing is everything in life

ticky
01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Ask and you shall receive, EV:

That is a very nice pic of Timmy. Open shirt too

Oh! is Tim in that picture too?? *G* Silly me.. guess I was distracted by... something else *G*

TimothyBFan
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow Ticky-I didn't see Joe standing there!:)

ticky
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
LOL Willie.. we have selective eye sight!

Troubadour
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM

OH. MY. GOODNESS. Both of them look drop dead gorgeous, but the guy on the left... :heart: :fainting: :hug:

I love the rest of your photos too. The grinning-Glenn one is fab! I am so glad you had such a great time, DF.

It's now official - I can't wait 'til July.

DonFan
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
They were looking pretty fabulous, all right! It was a GREAT night. *sigh*

Jdubfan, at the beginning of the concert the announcer said "No flash photography and no video recording." And welcome to the Border, BTW!

Freypower
01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the review, DF. I am with jdubfan. The photo just above is awesome.

Troubadour
01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Fp - Glenn looks so handsome in your new avatar!

sodascouts
01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
How AWESOME that you got up to close - and what great photos! Thanks for the review!

EagleLady
01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes he does

Peekaboo
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time!!! You're review was great and the pictures were FABULOUS!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm especially lovin these two pics!!!

eaglesvet
01-27-2009, 04:19 AM
To think that those 4 guys could each look that HSG after 3 hours of music-making is astonishing! They look :heart::heart: in those wonderful shots!!!!!

eaglesvet
01-27-2009, 04:30 AM
:mrgreen:
Are they usually allowing pics to be taken now? I know at the Chi show I left my camera in the car because of what the ticket said, then a few songs into the show, Glenn says we don't mind if you take pics, just don't film us...:enraged: Timing is everything in life
I had the honor of seeing our guys twice in 4 days in Nov. First thing to do is check the venue's website. I was astonished to see that Hershey, PA's Giant Center stated right on the website that cameras were allowed (no video); although the ticket and the big booming concert announcer at the beginning of the show said the standard "NO!" Glenn clarified it at that same point in the show...the boys don't seem to mind photos; it's just the video that bothers them.

If the website doesn't say either way, or if it says "NO", than I would call them ahead of time. That's what I had to do with Worcester, MA. I was told they allowed non-professional cameras with non-interchangeable lenses. Since I did want to bring my trusty (amateur) 35 mm SLR but with an interchangeable telephoto lens (even with my floor tickets, I was hoping for shots like DF ended up with :mrgreen: )--I had to resort to some smuggling techniques. Those are very colorfully described in another thread, when I asked my fellow Borderers for some advice! Please visit the posts 22 -- 47
in Long Road out of Eden forum, More November Tour Dates Announced thread. Posts 22 --47 begin on page 3. You'll get more than enough ways to smuggle in your camera, candy, illicit drugs...anything your care to! (DEA, that last line was a joke, OK??)

Marla
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh Wow!:inlove: Those are such amazing photos, DF! I love the ones with the screen in the background too! Thanks for the review & the photos.
You saw them in Birmingham the day after I saw them in NOLA, right?

They looked & sounded fabulous, didn't they? I said that would probably be my last concert for a while, but maybe they'll be back around my area One of These Nights! (Which, by the way was really well-received in New Orleans).:smokin: