PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify

MikeA
02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
This is one of those riffs I stumbled upon the other day and it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know who it was played by and what song it is the intro to? It reminds me of something Clapton did maybe with Cream, but I can't identify it

Listen Here (http://www.mvabercrombie.net/Question.mp3)

It's short...just a few seconds. I apologize for the quality....I did this on my Marshall and had to have it just barely cranked to keep from waking my grandson who is sawing logs upstairs.

I really would like to get this out of my head so if any of you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Maybe if I can get to the bottom of that intro, I can come up with the rest of it!

Prettymaid
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Mike, is it Clapton's Let It Rain?

MikeA
02-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Mike, is it Clapton's Let It Rain?

I didn't have that one myself, but I found it on YouTube and didn't hear that lick. This is driving me nuttttttts! <LOL>

Prettymaid
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah , I did the same thing after my post - went to youtube. That's not it.

ticky
02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD..... thats what I heard

Just Another Hired Hand
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Greetings MikeA...It is a rift from a song called "Little Wing". Eric Clapton performed it at the concert I attended May 25, 2008. It was originally a Jimi Hendrix Song. I have read in several different articles that it is one of Clapton's favorite Hendrix works. I'm not sure the source of your rift...it's always possible it could be a Hendrix performance. On one of the Clapton DVD's I have Clapton performs the song with Cheryl Crowe on the Eric Clapton and Friends DVD. There is also a good live recording of it on the deluxe (2 CD's) edition of 461 Ocean Boulevard. The second CD features a concert recorded live in 1974. One of the songs is "Little Wing". I hope you find this info helpful.

MikeA
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Greetings MikeA...It is a rift from a song called "Little Wing". Eric Clapton performed it at the concert I attended May 25, 2008. It was originally a Jimi Hendrix Song. I have read in several different articles that it is one of Clapton's favorite Hendrix works. I'm not sure the source of your rift...it's always possible it could be a Hendrix performance. On one of the Clapton DVD's I have Clapton performs the song with Cheryl Crowe on the Eric Clapton and Friends DVD. There is also a good live recording of it on the deluxe (2 CD's) edition of 461 Ocean Boulevard. The second CD features a concert recorded live in 1974. One of the songs is "Little Wing". I hope you find this info helpful.

Oh man, THANK YOU!!!! That's it for sure! I was almost positive it was Clapton but for the life of me, couldn't associate it with a specific song. Ever done that? I have three versions of that song....Clapton's from Derric and the Dominos, from Hendrix and from Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Hmmm, the rest of the guitar work in that song is pretty intimidating <LOL>

I really like all three versions of LW I have, Clapton (as Derric), Hendrix and also SRV's. All three of those guys were KILLERS on guitars, but were I to chose a style to be able to play from any of the three, it would be SRV. That guy amazes me even more than Walsh in the way he can seem to play the parts of at least TWO guitarists. He's all over the place....fast and precise. Walsh, love him to death for his rough smoothness. Joe did the trio thing a couple of times (<lol>) but Joe didn't try to sound like 14 people playing at once...just beautifully improvised solos....especially with a slide. May have to ax Joe to record Little Wing <LOL>. OR Voodoo Chile. I think the other three did Voodo Chile didn't they. I know for sure that Hendrix and SRV did it. I checked and I don't have Clapton doing it (He did one of Voodoo Man on 24 nights).

Just Another Hired Hand
02-07-2009, 10:11 AM
All three of those guys were KILLERS on guitars, but were I to chose a style to be able to play from any of the three, it would be SRV. That guy amazes me even more than Walsh in the way he can seem to play the parts of at least TWO guitarists. He's all over the place....fast and precise. Walsh, love him to death for his rough smoothness. Joe did the trio thing a couple of times (<lol>) but Joe didn't try to sound like 14 people playing at once...just beautifully improvised solos....especially with a slide. )

First of all, you're welcome! I have read several biographies of Eric Clapton. One of his big influences coming up was Robert Johnson. My son has the Robert Johnson anthology CD. The recordings are old and full of noise. However, when I listened to it I heard the same thing Clapton did. Clapton asked other musicians,"Who's the other guitarist?"

Clapton has made two recordings based on the work of Robert Johnson. The first was "Me and Mr J". The second which featured a CD and DVD is entitled "Sessions for Robert J". The DVD is great. Clapton and his band actually travelled to a Park Ave. address in Dallas to record at the same spot Robert Johnson did. AT one point Clapton and Doyle Bramhall have a friendly argument over how to play one of Johnson's songs. The event was scheduled around the Crossroads Festival in Dallas which is something I think you know a little something about.

The DVD is so good it has been featured on PBS. I highly recommend you check it out. I think you will really enjoy it.

It was hard for him (Clapton) to believe that one player could sound like he was playing two parts. I think this concept influenced the truly great ones: Clapton, SRV, Joe Walsh. Very coincidental you would mention 24 Nights. While I was composing the reply to your post last night I was watching 24 Nights. I had just rented it from Netflix. Before the week end is out I will have added it to my DVD library. Glad I could help.

Just Another Hired Hand
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD..... thats what I heard

Greetings Ticky! I found it interesting you guessed "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" On the "One More Car One More Rider" DVD, Eric Clapton and Band actually perform "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as their encore song.

I am always truly amazed how great music finds a way to live on and on. I have no doubt hat Hendrix was probably influenced by your "guess" when he wrote the song.