PDA

View Full Version : Australian Bushfires

Freypower
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I know that Australia doesn't impinge on the thoughts of the world often. However I would ask you to spare a thought for the people of Victoria after the worst natural disaster in the country's history. The bushfires in Central Victoria have left at least 130 dead (at LEAST). Saddest of all is that many of the fires appear to have been deliberately lit.

EagleLady
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that FP. My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the fires, and Who would do such a horrible thing to their own country?

Freypower
02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Thank you for those thoughts, EL. Actually the death toll is now confirmed at 173. This hasn't been easy to deal with.

Stars
02-09-2009, 08:34 PM
FP, I was so sad to hear about the bush fires. My love, thoughts and prayers are with the people of Australia. May God provide comfort to them during this tragic time.

EagleLady
02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
What really irks me is when some people have no regard for the environment and it's surroundings

ticky
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
FP, Au has been in my thoughts and prayers for several days now. It's a horrible thing and I hope you're safe. God Bless everyone down under.

AzEaglesFan
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
I thought California was the only place that had such terrible fires. I pray that you and your family are well out of the fire area and are safe.

Freypower
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
We're in New South Wales. There were some fires up here but nowhere near what Victoria had.

Bushfires here are a fact of life, but these are the worst we've ever had.

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 10:28 PM
How horrible. I'm sorry to hear it and I will pray for those affected.

Just Another Hired Hand
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I know that Australia doesn't impinge on the thoughts of the world often. However I would ask you to spare a thought for the people of Victoria after the worst natural disaster in the country's history.

I think of Australia often...every time Tiffanny Twisted and I watch Farewell I. I have been following the situation there closely, mostly on the internet. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people in the affected area as well as the whole Australian national community. The Australians have stood with the U.S. through thick and thin. It is my strong hope that a solution or some sort of fitting end is in the very near future.

Koala
02-10-2009, 03:42 AM
The bush fires are really horrible, I have seen of it pictures in the TV.
The poor people everything have lost!
I hope the firefighter the fires soon have under control!
My thoughts and prayers are with the people in Australia!

Mrs Frey
02-10-2009, 07:13 AM
I too am very sorry to hear about this disaster, FP. It must have been a fire of great magnitude to have taken so many lives.

The Cape Peninsula, on the southern tip of South Africa (where I live) has had to deal with many fires since the start of the summer in December. Fortunately, the losses have been limited to possessions rather lives, although the loss of one's home is horrible too.

At least none of the fires have been catastrophic.

May the people of Victoria have the strength to pull through what is no doubt some of the most challenging times of their lives.

TimothyBFan
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
FP, I was thinking of you again this morning while watching the news about the heatwave and fires. I'm glad you are safe! It sickens me that some of these fires have been intentionally sat. There are some very evil people in this world! Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with everyone there right now.

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I have been following these fires on the TV over the recent weekend. As has been stated already, its bad enough that they have happened but worse that they have been started deliberately or reignited by arsonists.
They need to answer to the Australian people for what they have done.

May the Lord look after the people who have lost loved ones, who have been injured and who have lost their life's work in a very short time.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Julie, this is indeed a very horrible thing. Wildfires are awful enough when started by natural causes, but it even makes it worse to think that this was caused by someone's cowardly acts. I'm so sorry and hope the people responsible for this tragedy are found and held accountable. Our thoughts are with all of the Aussie friends right now.

Brooke
02-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I've heard about all of this, too, and will keep everyone in Australia in my thoughts and prayers. How terrible. I'm so sorry.

tbs fanatic
02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Horrific news. Really hard to get your head around.

glenneaglesfan
02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Julie, I logged in to express my deep sadness at the terrible loss of life and the devastation for those survivors who have lost everything. I've been following the news with horror and disbelief that anyone could be so evil as to start fires like these. I have heard your prime minister, Kevin Rudd, describe it as mass murder. My thoughts are with you all in Australia.

MikeA
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
It is truly horrible and thoughts and prayers go out to you. I panicked a bit when I first heard about this because two friends of mine from Australia were not seen by me on the internet for a couple of days. Fortunately, they are safe and sound. It is my hope that these fires cause no more loss of life than they already have. Enough is enough!

One of those friends has been for months now telling me how awful the drought has been. I can but imagine how devastating the fires can and did get.

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
The more details that come out, the more awful it gets. How could anyone do this kind of thing??

Freypower
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments. What this has brought out is the old Australian notion of 'mateship' i.e. sticking together as a community and helping out. There were entire towns that were wiped off the map, but already the homeless are saying they will rebuild. There are concerns the death toll will reach 300 as the fire services and police sift through the rubble.

As for the arsonists there are a couple of suspects, but even if they are caught, murder would be very hard to prove. You have to have intent, i.e. you knew when you lit that match that you were going to kill someone. They can claim they didn't know the winds would blow that particular direction.

Troubadour
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I've been watching this with horror and great sadness. As TBS said, it just seems unthinkable. My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with everyone who has been affected. It will take a long time, and I know it won't be easy, but I wish Australians all the strength they need to rebuild their communities after this tragedy.

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I too wish everybody who has been affected by these bush fires the strength and courage to pick up the pieces of their lives and rebuild them in as much as they can.

Brooke
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Keith and Nic are helping the victims:

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1605013/keith-urban-nicole-kidman-donate-500000-after-australian-bushfire.jhtml

CMT News
Keith Urban, Nicole Kidman Donate $500,000 After Australian Bushfire
February 12, 2009
Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman have donated $500,000 to the Red Cross following an Australian bushfire that has killed 181 people and destroyed more than 1,000 homes, the BBC reports. The couple appeared via satellite link during an Australian telethon to raise money for the country's Red Cross. Kidman offered her condolences "for the people who have been struck so devastatingly by this disaster." Urban added, "Our hearts go out tonight to all the families that are dealing with the loss of loved ones and having to rebuild their lives again."