PDA

View Full Version : Movies

Pages : [1] 2

tbs fanatic
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Managed to catch the movie 'Milk' last night with Sean Penn playing Harvey Milk. I highly recommend the movie. Sean Penn is great and the supporting actors are really top notch too. There is a documentary on Harvey Milk (which we recently rented) and if you watch it you can tell that Sean Penn is spot on in his rendition of him.

Also caught 'The Wrestler' with Mickey Rourke. That is also a good movie (although I liked 'Milk' a little better). Mickey Rourke puts in an excellent performance.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I know some of you don't like scary movies, and generally I don't either, but I do occasionally watch them. For example, I do enjoy the Saw movies, because the storyline is interesting in some of them.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago Hubby picked the movie The Strangers to watch. Have any of you seen it? Oh my gosh! I watched the whole movie through my fingers and became nauseous and physically trembled throughout the whole movie! It wasn't that gory - it was just very suspenseful! Never before has a scary movie got to me like that!

I thought it was just me, but when I went to work the next day I asked around and everybody who had seen it felt the same way!

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I rarely go to the movies anymore, but those look good. I liked WALL*E that came out last year, but haven't seen much of note since. That Mall Cop movie looks funny - I may try to check that out.

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I tend to go for Gory movies myself. I really want to see Sweeney Todd, if it ever comes out on DVD, I believe Johnny Depp outdid himself.

tbsfan
02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I tend to go for Gory movies myself. I really want to see Sweeney Todd, if it ever comes out on DVD, I believe Johnny Depp outdid himself.

Sweeney Todd was released on DVD last year. Good movie, and if you love the gore you'll love Sweeney Todd.

I highly recommend The Reader. I saw it last night and have had it on my mind off and on all day. Good acting all around and Kate Winslet was just astounding.

I'm hoping to see Milk before Oscar time but if not, the DVD release is next month. Sean Penn has been one of my favorites since his pre-Fast Times at Ridgemont High days in Taps (with Timothy Hutton and a young Tom Cruise).

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Sweeney Todd was released on DVD last year. Good movie, and if you love the gore you'll love Sweeney Todd.

I highly recommend The Reader. I saw it last night and have had it on my mind off and on all day. Good acting all around and Kate Winslet was just astounding.

I'm hoping to see Milk before Oscar time but if not, the DVD release is next month. Sean Penn has been one of my favorites since his pre-Fast Times at Ridgemont High days in Taps (with Timothy Hutton and a young Tom Cruise).

I'll have to check out Walmart for it.

AzEaglesFan
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM
My favorite scary movie is the Changling with George C Scott. It's an old movie and I don't see it on TV to much. No blood and guts but just small things that make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.:fear:

tbs fanatic
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks for 'The Reader' review I have been wanting to get to that one 8)

Troubadour
02-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I have seen The Reader and I completely agree with TBS - it's a wonderful film, brilliantly acted and quite moving. I'm yet to see Milk, but I want to. I'm a big Sean Penn fan. I'd also recommend Frost/Nixon. I saw it last week and loved it. Again, the acting is fantastic all round.

As for scary films, I'm a bit of a horror freak too. The Changeling is fab! Subtle, creepy, suspenseful, psychological films affect me much more than movies with bucketloads of gore.

Prettymaid
06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Last night we watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood. I have not watched that many of his movies, but this was a good one. When the final credits started rolling hubby said that he read that Clint said this would be his last film. All of a sudden tears rolled down my cheeks as I realized that another great actor from my generation is 'getting up there' and will no longer be making movies. I would recommend this movie to anyone if you haven't seen it yet.

EagleLady
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow, what a coincidence Cathy, that is the movie we watched last night as well. It was sad when he got shot at the end though

Brooke
06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I've always loved Clint Eastwood movies and can't wait to see Gran Torino. Yeah, I hate it that he's getting so old.

Thanks for the ending EL! Not!

EagleLady
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
:oops:

DonFan
06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Last night we watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood. I have not watched that many of his movies, but this was a good one. When the final credits started rolling hubby said that he read that Clint said this would be his last film. All of a sudden tears rolled down my cheeks as I realized that another great actor from my generation is 'getting up there' and will no longer be making movies. I would recommend this movie to anyone if you haven't seen it yet.

My husband's birthday was this weekend and he is a big Eastwood fan so he wanted us to watch that movie together, so we did. We both enjoyed it very much. I think Eastwood's character reminded him of his father, who died before he & I even started dating. At the end of the movie I saw him wipe tears from his face, too.

The next day we took our teenage daughters to see UP. It is a 3D animated movie that is not just for kids-- it is for all ages. The heartwarming story will definitely surprise you, and I had to wipe tears from my eyes at one point during that movie, too.

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Well belated happy birthday to your hubby Dana. Thanks for your comments on UP. I won't get to see it. The plan is that Chris and Paul will go to it on the night of 30th June. Laura and I will have other (far more important) things on our agenda!!:guitar::guitar::guitar:

Troubadour
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I watched Gran Torino on the plane over to Dallas. It helped to keep me sane! ;) It was brilliant. Love, love, love Clint Eastwood.

TimothyBFan
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm so excited---8 more days till this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wItB9jxnhOs
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wclDW5nAaBc)

eaglesvet
07-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Willie,
The YouTube is blank, but I bet you might mean HP 6. My sons are both away at camp next week, so we won't be seeing it until the following week. Can you let me know what you think of the scenes in the movie where Harry and Dumbledore are attempting to find the Horcrux? Also the final battle scenes back at Hogwarts. I'm wondering how scary those scenes will be for my 10yr old on the big screen. To date, he has been afraid to see all the previous movies in the theater (mainly because of how creepy Voldemort and the Dementors are), but is fine with seeing them on DVD on our TV (but he also was at least 2 years younger at the time.)

If you think you might give away TMI by posting here, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

TimothyBFan
07-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I'll let you know Eva. I thought 5 was quite scary to be honest. This one should be interesting with the battle scene. We probably will see it Saturday the 18th--have to check with the kids schedules because we have seen everyone of them as a foursome.

BTW-the YouTube vid is working for me. Hmm!

eaglesvet
07-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm thinking the Horcrux scene might be a little stimulating :fear: as well. And I still can't open the You Tube screen...but I'm not too worried about that. I knew what you meant!

ETA: I just realized why---I am at work (we are closed), and they block certain websites, and YouTube must be one of them. It's a wonder I can get into Eaglesonlinecentral!!

EagleLady
07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
It's working for me too, Eva did you try rebooting your computer?

eaglesvet
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
I just edited my post...it has to do with the fact that I'm at my work computer, and I guess they don't want us watching YouTube...go figure :hilarious:!

Troubadour
07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I finally got around to seeing No Country For Old Men, and I loved it. I was hooked from the first scene, and I thought it was chilling. Talk about adrenalin! I'm interested to know what others thought? I really want to read the novel now.

Oh, and I took one of my service users to see The Half-Blood Prince this afternoon. I thought it was great. Funny, dark and pretty scary (for a younger audience.) Very good.

sodascouts
07-25-2009, 08:03 PM
I still have to see the Half-Blood Prince, but I'd better get to it quick. My Harry Potter-lovin' friend will kill me if I don't! lol

Koala
07-26-2009, 03:36 AM
I saw Harry Potter and the half blood prince yesterday.

I found the movie really good, however I must say that I found the book better! I found particularly the end of the book better than those of the film!

Prettymaid
07-26-2009, 11:20 AM
No Country For Old Men is on my short list of movies to rent. I might just go grab it today.

Fan_For_Life
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM
This past weekend I took a day off from everything and watched some movies. We get free on demand movies and came across Great Outdoors with John Candy and Dan Akroyd. I forgot how good that movie is. I also came across Kingdom Of Heaven(edited). I had seen it before but as usual with movie watching in my house, everyone has to talk throughout the entire movie. This time I got to watch uninterrupted and really enjoyed it. The Others with Nicole Kidman is a good one too, suspenseful with a twist ending. Bucket List is one of my newly favorite movies. I love the combo of Freeman and Nicholson. I hope they decide to make another movie together.

eaglesvet
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for reminding me-- Bucket List had been on my bucket list to see, but never had gotten around to when it was playing in the theatres. That, and Best in Show--someone has recommended that to me a few times, and is always disappointed when I tell him I haven't had the chance to rent it yet... apparently very funny.

Troubadour
08-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, I loved The Bucket List! I watched As Good As It Gets for the first time the other day, too. Brilliant. Gotta love Jack Nicholson. ("Excellent work, Henley. Excellent work." :lol:)

I also finally got around to seeing Milk yesterday, and loved it. I thought the acting was sensational, and it was very emotional, but uplifting too. I believe one of the reviews said "life-affirming". Definitely worth watching.

Anybody seen There Will Be Blood? Worth getting?

Brooke
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Loved both of those Nicholson movies. Especially As Good As It Gets. Hilarious!

I have There Will Be Blood, but haven't watched it yet.

I finally got to watch Gran Torino. Great movie! Clint Eastwood is such a grouchy old fart, but you can't help but laugh at him. A really great story.

Prettymaid
08-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I finally got around to seeing No Country For Old Men, and I loved it. I was hooked from the first scene, and I thought it was chilling. Talk about adrenalin! I'm interested to know what others thought? I really want to read the novel now.

Troub, I did finally watch this movie. It was very riveting and very depressing! Well made!

We also recently watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons. I didn't like it so much. It was just okay.

Troubadour
08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Troub, I did finally watch this movie. It was very riveting and very depressing! Well made!

Oh, I'm glad you thought so. Javier Bardem's character was one frightening psychopath! The scene where he trapped that poor shop guy into a bizarre conversation, and then flipped a coin to see if he would live or die... It was so horrible, I almost couldn't watch. Brilliantly acted, though. So creepy. I must get my hands on that novel...

Stars
08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
PM, I recently saw "Benjamin Button" too, and I found it to be extremely depressing. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. It was well acted, but I could never watch it again.
Troub, I also saw "Milk" recently, and liked it so much I am now reading the bio on Harvey Milk, "The Mayor of Castro Street"-excellent portrait of this courageous man!:thumbsup:

Brooke
08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh, I'm glad you thought so. Javier Bardem's character was one frightening psychopath! The scene where he trapped that poor shop guy into a bizarre conversation, and then flipped a coin to see if he would live or die... It was so horrible, I almost couldn't watch. Brilliantly acted, though. So creepy. I must get my hands on that novel...

I just did not like this one at all. Way too creepy for me.

Stars
12-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Just watched "The Changeling" yesterday, starring Angelina Jolie. What a fantastic performance she gave on this one! It was based on a true story, and was so very sad. However, the main character's courage and conviction was very inspiring-highly recommend it!:thumbsup:

AzEaglesFan
12-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Don't have a movie theater here, so I get videos from the local library. The last two I watched was UP and Star Trek. I enjoyed them both.

Brooke
12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Just watched "The Changeling" yesterday, starring Angelina Jolie. What a fantastic performance she gave on this one! It was based on a true story, and was so very sad. However, the main character's courage and conviction was very inspiring-highly recommend it!:thumbsup:

I thought The Changeling was really good, too.

And I watched "P.S. I Love You" last night. It was really good if you don't mind crying every once in a while. Hillary Swank stars.

TimothyBFan
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
OK -I admit it but we watched The Hangover the other night and I laughed so hard I cried! I love stupid humor and this is full of it.

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Was wondering if anyone here has seen It Might Get Loud yet? It's a rock documentary that features Jimmy Page, The Edge of U2 and Jack White from The White Stripes. I meant to pick it up at Target last week while I was there (I even saw it, then Katie started talking to me and I forgot-I'm getting OLD). I don't know if I should rent it first or if it is something I would rather buy.

Freypower
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I suppose it all depends on whether you think the other two guitarists are on the same 'page' as James Patrick. To be as diplomatic as possible, I don't think they are. I would want to see his segment but not the others. :hand: I can't help that.

TimothyBFan
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I suppose it all depends on whether you think the other two guitarists are on the same 'page' as James Patrick. To be as diplomatic as possible, I don't think they are. I would want to see his segment but not the others. :hand: I can't help that.

Hell No!! :shock: Not even close!! James Patrick is the all time greatest guitar God that's ever walked the face of this earth and I would drop to my knees and bow down :bow:to him as he walked by and kiss the ground he walks...... well you get the point.

That's exactly what I'm thinking also and that's why I haven't bought it yet. Will rent it first and see how much my God, ummmm Mr. Page is in it first and go from there. Thanks Julie for your opinion (some how when I was asking that question, I KNEW YOU'D be the one to help me make the decision). :thumbsup:

bernie's bender
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM

interesting take. Jimmy was consulted as to who HE wanted to work with and he chose those two... I guess what is good for the goose is not necessarily what is good for the gander.

Freypower
01-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I totally respect Pagey's decision to work with those guys, and it would probably be interesting to watch from a purely objective viewpoint. I just don't think he needs to share his space with anyone else.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I totally respect Pagey's decision to work with those guys, and it would probably be interesting to watch from a purely objective viewpoint. I just don't think he needs to share his space with anyone else.

:hilarious: Except me of course! Did I say how much of a God I think this man is?

sodascouts
01-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I just saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie and I thought it was AMAZING.

I've always loved mystery novels, starting with Nancy Drew when I was about 7 and going from there. When I was about 10, I read "The Speckled Band" and became fascinated by Sherlock Holmes. I devoured all of his stories in a matter of weeks (I was quite the reader, lol) and have re-read them several times since then.

Everyone told me that this was nothing like the literary character, and while it is true that many aspects of his person are changed, I believe it was true to the spirit of the works - that of the smallest details leading to brilliant deductions that, once explained, become "Elementary." ;) It's very intelligently done - what seems to be fantastically inexplicable is solved piece by piece - and no "cheating" with implausible solutions. Several twists took me by surprise but again, not with cheating but rather with clever plotting.

I also have to give kudos to their recreation of 1890s England. It is incredibly realistic and detailed.

Yes, this Sherlock Holmes is more passionate and fiery than the colder-natured lead of A. Conan Doyle's stories, but this is a movie, after all! Robert Downey Jr. does a terrific job.

It's been a long time since I've been as entertained by a movie as I have been by Sherlock Holmes. Can't wait for the sequel!

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITU27Sxzi9w

eaglesvet
01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'll try and catch this one!

Midnight_Flyer
01-17-2010, 08:19 AM
i love horror movies
i have loads on dvd
Scream trilogy, Saw 1,2,3 and 4, Valentine, Halloween 2, Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers, Halloween H20, Halloween: Resurrection, Final Destination 1,2, and 3 and loads more

i recently bought The Final Destination 3D and My Bloody Valentine 3D on dvd, both good movies

EasyFeeling
01-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks Soda. I think I will watch that movie, seems to be very entertaining.

TimothyBFan
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Just needed to revise this thread after seeing Twilight for the first time last night. I have read Twilight and New Moon but then 2 times have started Eclipse but can't get thru it. I'm now hoping that I will be able to see New Moon soon and then maybe it will inspire me to read the last 2 books before the movies come out.

I don't remember if we've already discussed Twilight but was wondering how others felt about it. I know it's suppose to be for the "younger" crowd but I really enjoyed it and one of my male friends who's a couple years older than me, told me this morning he had caught it last week one night a really liked it also.

Prettymaid
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't remember if we've already discussed Twilight but was wondering how others felt about it.

I started reading the Twilight series from hearing about it on the board here and at work. Ive just read the first two books - I'm trying to read them just before the movie is released. Fortunately I've been able to borrow them from coworkers. I'm about to borrow Eclipse.

Some of my coworkers loved them, but for me, they're just okay. The movies are fun and stay pretty close to the books, which is good.

Troubadour
03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I saw The Blind Side today, with one of my service users. I'd definitely recommend it! I thought it was brilliant.

Wildthyme
03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I saw The Blind Side today, with one of my service users. I'd definitely recommend it! I thought it was brilliant.

I loved it too. I have seen it twice and I plan to buy the DVD at some point.

Brooke
03-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Absolutely loved it! Sandra Bullock was fantastic.

Stars
05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I just saw The Blind Side today-highly recommend it-I think Sandra Bullock really deserved her Oscar!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I thought it was great, too - and very family-friendly.

Can you believe that was Tim McGraw playing the Dad? He was freaking unrecognizable!

Brooke
05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I know! I kept thinking: where is Tim M? I finally recognized him! :lol:

Prettymaid
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
While Hubby thought the movie was very slow, (I had to remind him that it wasn't an action movie :rolleyes: ) I appreciated the spotlight it put on the acting. Great movie in that regard.

Stars
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
I also barely recognized Tim McGraw! I thought he did a top notch job in his role. As for Phil Collins' daughter, Lily, I got a big kick out of her character's name being "Collins"!!:hilarious:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I also loved The Blind Side and thought Sandra Bullock was very well deserving of her Oscar. Now, I've still got to see Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges - need to put that on my to-do list.

Prettymaid
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Me too Dreamer. The other night I chose The Lovely Bones over Crazy Heart. I'm sort of sorry I did. I read TLB years ago when it was on Oprah's Book Club and remembered liking the book. I would have to re-read it, but I didn't care for the surreal scenes in the movie depicting the lead character in her in-between state. I thought the book did a better job of that.

Wildthyme
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I saw Crazy Heart recently and its wonderful. I am sure there are a lot of the formerly famous that could identify with this character. Jeff Bridges was amazing and I am so glad he got the Oscar he deserved for this role.

sodascouts
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Speaking of Jeff Bridges, I just saw him in the first Iron Man last weekend (rented it with my friend before seeing the new one that just came out) and he was great. So was Robert Downey Jr. - I enjoyed the movie all around, but I've always been partial to action/adventure with a hint of sci-fi.

I definitely want to see Crazy Heart, especially after the rave reviews it's getting here.

Troubadour
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I watched Paranormal Activity yesterday. I'd been wanting to see it out of curiosity, and I must admit - it was pretty frickin' creepy! I like those kind of simple, 'realistic', psychological horror movies, rather than the gore-fests that are rampant now.

Brooke
06-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I watched Crazy Heart last night. It was really good and Jeff Bridges was great as the main character. The whole time I kept thinking he reminded me of Kris Kristofferson and the movie "A Star Is Born" from the '70's. It didn't hurt to have Collin Ferrell appear once in a while either!

Prettymaid
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I watched Paranormal Activity yesterday. I'd been wanting to see it out of curiosity, and I must admit - it was pretty frickin' creepy! I like those kind of simple, 'realistic', psychological horror movies, rather than the gore-fests that are rampant now.

I was just talking about this movie with a coworker this morning. While I also enjoy the "looks like it could really happen" type of horror movies, I found this one to be a lot of hype and not much action. I felt like I 'waited' for an hour and a half until something major finally happened!

Troubadour
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I know what you mean, PM. My sister said much the same (I am amazed she went to see it as she hates horror films!) I was fairly impressed though. It was watchable, and it did deliver that elusive tingle up the spine. So many of the horror/thriller films I've watched - especially ones made in recent years - don't do that. Certain moments - for instance, when the girl got up out of bed and just stood in the darkness looking at her boyfriend for hours - really worked for me. Just that image of her standing there is FREAKY. And then you think "Well, she must have been sleepwalking..." and you kind of accept it and explain it away as you would in reality. I liked that element of it.

sodascouts
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I just saw The A-Team and loved it!

When I was little, I watched it religiously every week and had a pre-adolescent crush on Face. I went into this movie expecting to be disappointed and dissatisfied - and instead I was really happy with it!

It says true to the original series in its unapologetically crazy, over-the-top action and humor with a lot of explosions but a surprisingly low body count for a movie of this type. Also, to my astonishment, all of the casting choices worked - I was especially leery of Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper as Hannibal and Face (respectively), but they really pulled it off. And Cooper... well, his long days in the gym have paid off in spades...

Fans of the old series need to stay in the theater until after the credits for a special treat!

The_Girl_Of_Summer
06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
A Friend and i went to see Killers last week I was actually a very funny movie. I actually cant wait for Katherine Heigl to play Stephany Plum in One For the Money next year after seeing Killers i think shell be great

Troubadour
06-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I'd like to see Killers, too! Katherine Heigl was on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross this week, and she was brilliant. She seemed really sweet, and very funny.

AzEaglesFan
06-16-2010, 03:39 AM
We don't have a movie theater here so the closest thing here is the DVDs I get from the library. I got Avatar and It's Complicated. The special effects in Avatar were great.

sodascouts
06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I just watched It's Complicated with a friend last weekend. I was kind of disappointed, although the chemistry between Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep was good. I thought the relationship between Streep and Steve Martin was completely devoid of sparks, though. It did have some really funny moments.

I didn't really like Avatar either; it had cool visuals but the plot was pretty weak. I watched this one in California with PLS' family and it probably lost a lot of its zing because I didn't see it in the theater. I also have to admit I get uncomfortable when I see American soldiers presented as bad guys who have to be defeated or even killed by the good guys to achieve the "happy ending" (I know, it's only a movie, but I can't help it - I have a very negative emotional response to that - the exception being "fight the police state" futuristic sci-fi).

Brooke
06-16-2010, 09:53 AM
We rarely go to the theater to see movies anymore, but I think they definitely lose something watching them at home. I know I'm never as impressed with them as I used to be seeing them there.

AzEaglesFan
06-17-2010, 02:09 AM
I wanted to see District 9, I think it's called (The movie Joe said he went to) But my son said it has a bad ending too so I think the Americans are the bad guys in it too.

Freypower
06-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I wanted to see District 9, I think it's called (The movie Joe said he went to) But my son said it has a bad ending too so I think the Americans are the bad guys in it too.

It's about aliens taking over South Africa, and I don't remember any anti-American content in it at all. It's worth seeing.

Troubadour
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Crazy Heart just came out over here on DVD, so I bought it yesterday. We're getting our new 42" TV delivered tomorrow though, so I have decided to hold out until I can watch it on the big screen. An exercise in restraint! I can't wait to see it. I know I'm going to love it.

Prettymaid
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Troub, congratulations on getting your new telly!

I have got to watch Crazy Heart!

Peekaboo
06-19-2010, 04:56 AM
I saw Crazy Heart a few days ago and I thought it was great!! Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it yet. I was surprised at how good Jeff Bridges could sing. He did a great job in that movie. I was even more surprised to see in the credits that that was ACTUALLY Collin Farrell singing. I didn't think that was really him at first.

I also saw The Fourth Kind too. Pretty creepy!! It's one of those that really makes you wonder. It's based in Nome, Alaska and it makes it even more creepy for me because I have a cousin that lives there right now.

As for District 9, I rented it when it first came out but I couldn't finish it. I turned it off about 45 minutes in because I just couldn't get into it at all.

bernie's bender
06-19-2010, 11:52 PM

There aren't really americans in it... wth?

I think the ending is awesome and sweet and hilarious...

how old is your son?

AzEaglesFan
06-20-2010, 12:36 AM
All I had seen were the trailers and so that is why I thought it was set in the US. All my son said when I ask if it had a good ending was that the bad guys all die. The trailers make it look like the ugly Americans are mistreating the poor lost aliens so that was the reason I didn't think I would like it. As it turns out someone stole the DVD from the Library so I guess I wouldn't get to see it anyway. Darn you just made it sound interesting after all.

Wildthyme
06-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I went to see Knight and Day today. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. A great mixture of action and comedy and I thought the pairing of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz worked very well. I'd actually go see this one again.

Troubadour
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I finally watched Crazy Heart the day before yesterday. I absolutely loved it. Jeff Bridges was fantastic (and delicious), and Maggie Gyllenhaal gave a brilliant performance, as usual. It was funny and moving, with great music and stunning scenery. I loved seeing Robert Duvall - one of my absolute favourite actors. His role was relatively small but he played a great character who was instrumental in Bad Blake's recovery. I would recommend this film to anyone. :heart:

Prettymaid
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
And how are you enjoying your new TV Troub?

Troubadour
06-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Oh, I'm loving it - thanks, Cathy! It's great for watching sports and films. Can you believe I haven't watched HFO on it yet, though? I must remedy that as soon as possible!

sodascouts
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I can't believe you haven't done that yet Troub! When I move, I'm going to get a new TV - a nice one (the one I currently have is 13 years old). One of the first things I'm going to do is watch my concert DVDs!

I just saw Iron Man 2 - I'm late to the game there, I know, but I wanted to wait and see it with my fellow sci-fi/action lover friend. I thought it was pretty good - perhaps not as good as the first, but still entertaining.

Robert Downey had obviously been spending a lot of time in the gym and looked nice and buff. Oh my gosh, though, I could see Gwyneth Paltrow's bones whenever she wore a revealing dress. I hope she's not going too far trying to stay "Hollywood thin."

Lisa
06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Mickey Rourke also turned in a really great performance as the villain in Iron Man 2 with Robert Downey, Junior; at the top of his game; staring as the hero; Tony Stark.

ticky
06-26-2010, 08:59 PM
If you want company breaking the new TV in with HFO, let me know Lou! *G* Im always up for HFO *G* you know me!

Peekaboo
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm finally going to go see Eclipse tonight. I'm really excited. I love the books and really liked the two previous movies and i hear that third movie is supposed to be even better.

Troubadour
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I watched The Hurt Locker and The Last King Of Scotland this week. Both highly recommended (of course, they both won awards and were critically acclaimed.) Harrowing and intense, but excellent.

I also watched The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. For those who haven't seen it, I won't give much away, but it's worth watching. It's very elaborate, but an interesting concept. It will get your heart racing anyway!

Troubadour
12-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I saw Paranormal Activity 2 a couple of weeks ago with my sister. I really liked it. Very similar to the first one, but I still found it quite creepy. (Anything with babies and dogs in potential danger will make your heart race and your head yell "Noooo!") I liked that it took place before the first movie and basically explained the whole story more. Definitely worth a watch if you like being spooked.

On a lighter note, I bought Julie and Julia the other day, and really liked it. Perfect, cosy movie for this wintry weather!

Midnight_Flyer
12-14-2010, 06:58 AM
i've seen 2 movies the past couple of months Despicable Me 3D and Megamind 3D both good films :)

Prettymaid
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
3D certainly is all the rage lately, isn't it? There is even 3D TV now!

I finally signed up for Netflix a couple of months ago. With the ability to stream movies instantly to my TV or order dvds by mail, it's working out great. However, during the busy holiday season we're not able to find time to watch movies as often.

Midnight_Flyer
12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
3D certainly is all the rage lately, isn't it?

yeah it is lol

Prettymaid
01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Yesterday I watched Dear John. I have not read the book but remember a former co-worker complaining that the movie ended very differently from the book with no good reason, in her opinion. I went to wiki and read the synopsis of the ending of the book and indeed, they are different. I wonder why they do that?

Anyway, I found it to be a good movie, good plot and well acted. But what really caught my attention was the soundtrack. I've went to amazon and listened to the songs and will probably purchase them. Does anybody have any thoughts on the book, movie or soundtrack?

Here is a song from the movie, beautifully done by Amanda Seyfried, the lead actress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ZW6d4AYvc

WalshFan88
01-20-2011, 04:53 AM
Just watched "Year One" last night on Netflix. Hilarious movie. Great one.

WalshFan88
02-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm watching "The Social Network" tonight for the 2nd time of watching it. Excellent movie. Some of it is fiction, but the whole movie is entertaining and keeps your attention. Mark Zuckerberg is a brilliant, eccentric person. He's only 4 years older than me, and is worth billions. All because he invented Facebook. I love Facebook, and I have a new appreciation for Mark after watching this movie. This movie portrays him not always positively but the movie is a great watch!

sodascouts
02-19-2011, 10:36 PM
I've been meaning to see that, Austin - glad you liked it!

I've had a "movie day" here, but not a very good one. Today, I decided to take it easy and watch a few movies on Netflix streaming. On a whim, I decided to watch The Warriors solely because "In the City" was written for it. Too bad the movie absolutely sucked. Joe's song wasn't even played until the credits. At least it was interesting to hear the slight variations between his solo version and the Eagles release. That was the best thing about the movie. Sad but true! Oh well - I guess it could have been worse - it wasn't as bad as Vanishing Point, which I also watched just to hear a song performed by one of our guys (performed by Longbranch Pennywhistle, to be precise). I'm beginning to think this motivation for watching a movie is not the greatest. ;)

Prettymaid
02-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I kind of know what you mean Soda. Recently I watched the Keven Spacey movie Shrink just because Jackson Browne's song Here is from that movie. It played over the credits too. But the movie didn't totally suck.

Midnight_Flyer
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
on a movie streaming website last night, i watched The Lovely Bones, what a great film! nearly cried at the end

tequila girl
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I haven't seen the movie....but Loved the book!

Troubadour
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I bought Eat Pray Love last week and got around to watching it last night. Absolutely loved it! Julia Roberts is one of my favourite actresses - she is so likeable, especially in this role. I love the spirit of the film, and the humour. I haven't read the book, but I want to. My sister said it's brilliant, and even funnier than the film.

I got a kick out of a particular part in the movie, when Julia Roberts' character meets a guy called Richard and asks him "Has anyone ever told you you look like James Taylor?" He smiles and replies "Every day."

http://www.makemeheal.com/news/images/richard-jenkins-plastic-surgery.JPG

Prettymaid
06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I read the book first, so when the movie came out I HAD to see it! I went by myself on a weekday when I had the day off work, and I congratulated myself afterwards for taking the plunge and going solo. I remember walking to the car in the sunshine after the movie and feeling the adventurous spirit of the lead 'character' in me! :D Okay, it wasn't India, but I never go to the movies alone. ;)

Troubadour
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
That's cool! The film definitely makes you feel good and makes you want to go and there, meet people and be adventurous! I must read the book.

You should go to movies alone more often - it's great! I used to go a lot when I lived in London. It was my little treat. Pure escapism for a couple of hours. And, the best bit, no-one leaning over to ask: "What did she just say?"

Prettymaid
06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Lol! I found out AFTER we were married that Hubby doesn't particularly like gong to the movies. Huh? Could've you shared this with me before we were married! :rolleyes: Oh well, I love him anyway!

But yes, there are some movies I just don't want to wait for, so I will go alone sometimes! (For the record, he does go with me sometimes - maybe 2-3 times a year)!

Midnight_Flyer
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
i saw The Hangover part 2 at the cinema last week and loved it :D

WalshFan88
06-09-2011, 01:19 AM

I've been wanting to see that one! Glad to hear it was good!

whitcap
06-09-2011, 01:32 AM

I went see it on Memorial Day. I loved it too!

EaglesFanatic
06-09-2011, 02:58 AM
I also saw it. Very funny!

eta- I saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean last week, and that was really good. I think it's the best out of all the Pirates movies.

Annabel
06-09-2011, 03:44 AM
eta- I saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean last week, and that was really good. I think it's the best out of all the Pirates movies.

My DH and DD1 went to see that when it came out here and thought it wasn't as good because of the different story line and the missing people. :| I haven't seen it yet as DD2 didn't want to go and there was nobody to have her while the 3 of us went. :ziplip: How long until it is out on DVD :rolleyes:

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Hubby took me to see the new Pirates the day after it hit the theaters. The only movies we ever go to the theater for are the Pirate and Harry Potter movies (how old are we?). Loved the new Pirates!!

We rented True Grit Tuesday night on On Demand. It was really good also, especially if you love westerns. Jeff Bridges did Rooster Cogburn well!

Annabel
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I've read all the Harry Potter books, seen all the films at the cinema and got all the DVDs. My daughter Hannah has a countdown written on her hand for the release of the last Harry Potter film. She changes it daily.:rolleyes: Can't wait for July 15th. :yay:

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Melanie- I totally get it!! My son was like that but he was reading the books as they were coming out so it was the countdown for the books. I always preordered them to be delivered on the day they came out. He would read them front to back in 2 days time, wouldn't sleep and only ate finger food so he wasn't interrupted. Then he would reread them slower a week or so later. He read the very first HP book the summer he turned 11 and he was spending the week at his Aunt & Uncles on the lake. He called me on his birthday (his first ever away from home), which is JULY 31st, same as Harry's and had just gotten to the part in the book where it was Harry's birthday also, and Harry was also turning 11. He was so excited that he had the same birthday and was the same age as Harry and was actually reading about it on his birthday. I'll never forget that.

It's still a tradition, even tho he'll be 21 next month and my daughter is 18, that the 4 of us all go together to see the movies. He comes home from college now on the weekend it opens, so we can do it. Can't believe the movie coming up will be the last one. :cry:

Brooke
06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Willie, that is sweet that you and your kids do this together. :thumbsup:

I have tried to get in to HP. I tried to read the first book. I managed to get through the first two movies on dvd, but it hurt! I don't know, they just don't interest me. My son (28) loves the movies and has them on dvd and can't understand me not liking them. I don't understand it either! :headscratch:

But I'm glad you all like them! lol

sodascouts
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
I have several friends who are into HP and I've tried to get into it, too, but it just isn't working for me. It's not that I hate it or anything - it has interesting elements - it just never engaged me the way it has so many people.

The same is true for the Twilight series - I have lots of friends who love it, but I haven't been able to get into it.

Henley Honey
06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I thought it was just me! HP & Twilight saga are so popular -- but its like the DaVinci code. People were raving about it so I forced myself to read half of it and could not bring myself to finish. :scowl: Oh well . . . . Different strokes.

Brooke
06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm the same with the Twilight series. I just don't get it I guess! Maybe they are just too unbelievable for me. :shrug:

Now I did like the first Pirates movie, but haven't felt compelled to watch the rest. I do think Johnny Depp is adorable though!

Annabel
06-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Willie, that is such a sweet memory of your son about his 11th birthday.

I read the books as they came out and pre ordered (most times). I remember being gutted one time when my book took 2 days to arrive after the release. I had to walk past a huge stack of them in the supermarket instead of buy one. :cry: That was when I stopped pre ordering.
My family had to fend for themselves if the release date came around a weekend. Just as well hubby can cook a bit :laugh: My nose was in the book and it was finished before some people had got to the end of chapter one lol.

I had to do jury service a few years ago and took The Goblet of Fire with me. First day I never got called and was over half way through the book by the time they sent us home at 2pm. The last book took me 4 days to read from start to finish. Yet I can't get into Beedle the Bard at all. Stuck half way through and have been since I got it. Like you I can't believe it is the last film. She needs to do a follow on about what happens next DD1 says.

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Willie, that is such a sweet memory of your son about his 11th birthday.

She needs to do a follow on about what happens next DD1 says.

I agree with your daughter! :) I love HP. Haven't done Twilight - have seen parts of the movies on TV and I just don't think the acting is very good... at least HP had an abundance of outstanding thespians! (even if they did only get a minute or two of screen time...)

Willie, that's wonderful your son got so excited, what a great way to remember him as an 11-year old!

TimothyBFan
06-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Love HP books and movies but not the Twilight series. Read first 2 books with effort and a 1/3 of the way through the 3rd book, gave it up. Tried it twice and thought it was to boring for me even tho I had a friend that kept telling me I just HAD to read them. I've only seen the first movie and really enjoyed it tho.

How I started the HP books.... the whole family was coming out of the theater after watching the 4th movie and I told Dillon to give me the 5th book because I just couldn't wait to see what happens. He refused to and said I HAD to start from the beginning. I gave in and started and didn't stop till I had read everyone of them within about 2 months. It worked out great that way because while I was reading them, the last book came out and so I didn't have to wait between books, but was able to read them one right after the other.

They truly were so much better than the movies. While I began either the 6th or 7th book, I was anxiously trying to figure out whether Snape was evil or good. I texted my son who was in school at the time and asked him "I have to know-is Snape a good guy or a bad guy?". I received a text back a few minutes later saying simply, "Read on Mom". BRAT!!! :hilarious:

Annabel
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
:laugh: You didn't train him right Willie. ;) He was however right that you had to start from book 1. :thumbsup:

EaglesKiwi
06-11-2011, 07:01 AM
:laugh: You didn't train him right Willie. ;) He was however right that you had to start from book 1. :thumbsup:
You trained him perfectly, Willie! I totally agree with him. ;-)

Besides, you didn't have to wait 2 years to find out whether he was good or bad - that was sheer torture! :rofl:

WalshFan88
06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm VERY much looking forward to the last Harry Potter film. I just went out and bought Part 1 on DVD today and watched it. I love that movie. To be honest it's been years since I've read all of the books. I'm hoping to go to the movie opening night if we can get a ticket. I really love the HP movies. :rofl:

Has anyone seen the new film trailer that was just released for the new movie? It looks like this will be the scariest one yet, for sure. Also looks to have the best special effects of them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYt1qirBWg

Annabel
06-23-2011, 03:14 AM
:thumbsup: Looks very good Austin. Can't wait here. Roll on July 15th. :partytime:

WalshFan88
06-25-2011, 04:03 AM
:thumbsup: Looks very good Austin. Can't wait here. Roll on July 15th. :partytime:

That latest movie trailer has me really looking forward to it! I really wish it'd hurry up and get here, LOL. :D

Freypower
06-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I mentioned Hot Fuzz elsewhere; we watched Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's latest film Paul last night. Big budget, filmed in America, aliens. It isn't for everyone. I don't want this pair to have to sacrifice their essentially British humour to become big Hollywood stars. I enjoyed it though.

Troubadour
06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I haven't seen Paul yet, but I agree with you FP - it would be a shame if they became too Hollywood-ized! I love their films. Simon Pegg is very funny. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

sodascouts
11-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I just saw the new movie Immortals starring Henry Cavill and Mickey Rourke.

I'll be real - my friend Cicely and I went for one reason and one reason alone, to see the eye candy that is Henry Cavill.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/immortals-henry-cavill.jpg

However, he is wasted in this role. He does nothing but kill and mope, mope and kill. I hate gory movies and this one seems to be competing with 300 (put out by the same people) as to how many slow-motion, CGI-enhanced bloodbaths they can include. And the torture scenes are horrific! I hate that kind of crap. Yes, it's just a movie, but do I really need to see a man's face sliced in half and have his brains, skull fragments, and eyeballs fly toward me in 3D? Hells to the NO!

In other words, I don't recommend it. lol

Glennsallnighter
11-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I guess you don't Soda! Keep away from Spartacus so (the TV series)

sodascouts
12-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Just saw Life of Pi. It's visually stunning and the CGI/real life blending is so seamless I had no clue when they switched out the real tiger for the CGI tiger. That's impressive, as in every other movie I've seen the CGI insertions are quite obvious. There are "set piece" moments of the film, especially the panoramic underwater-world scenes, that are magnificent to behold.

I appreciated the technical skill and the sophisticated allegory of the film. I'd classify it as a "magical realism" journey for spiritual meaning as symbolized in the struggle for survival aboard a lifeboat. It's very remarkable that such a non-traditional film without any major stars got such a huge budget - I guess we can thank famed director Ang Lee's involvement for that. He doesn't disappoint.

However, I can't say I enjoyed it. 90 minutes of the movie consist solely of the lead actor and the tiger fighting to keep alive in a lifeboat adrift for 227 days, and for me at least, it went on too long. I found myself thinking as they faced challenge after challenge in the boat (hunger, thirst, storms, sharks, loneliness, depression, etc), defeated each, and then returned to contemplating life: "Geez, I sure hope they get rescued soon. This is getting old."

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SMALL KIDS: this isn't a Disney film where the zebras, monkeys, tigers, and hyenas are all friends with each other. The merciless predatory instinct is on full display. I saw a few mothers leave with crying children before the film was out.

Topkat
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I read that the young guy who plays the lead role in Life of Pi had no acting experience. There was an open casting call for the role & he got it!
He said he had to learn everything before the filming. He was not an outdoorsy kid! How did he do in the role?

sodascouts
12-02-2012, 05:46 PM
He did wonderfully in his role - completely believable. You really felt for the kid as he is dealt blow after blow by Mother Nature and all he clings to for comfort is stripped away except his spirituality and the tiger. He has very expressive eyes. I'm amazed that it was his first role.

12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Just saw Life of Pi. It's visually stunning and the CGI/real life blending is so seamless I had no clue when they switched out the real tiger for the CGI tiger. That's impressive, as in every other movie I've seen the CGI insertions are quite obvious. There are "set piece" moments of the film, especially the panoramic underwater-world scenes, that are magnificent to behold.

I appreciated the technical skill and the sophisticated allegory of the film. I'd classify it as a "magical realism" journey for spiritual meaning as symbolized in the struggle for survival aboard a lifeboat. It's very remarkable that such a non-traditional film without any major stars got such a huge budget - I guess we can thank famed director Ang Lee's involvement for that. He doesn't disappoint.

However, I can't say I enjoyed it. 90 minutes of the movie consist solely of the lead actor and the tiger fighting to keep alive in a lifeboat adrift for 227 days, and for me at least, it went on too long. I found myself thinking as they faced challenge after challenge in the boat (hunger, thirst, storms, sharks, loneliness, depression, etc), defeated each, and then returned to contemplating life: "Geez, I sure hope they get rescued soon. This is getting old."

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SMALL KIDS: this isn't a Disney film with the zebras, monkeys, tigers, and hyenas are all friends with each other. The merciless predatory instinct is on full display. I saw a few mothers leave with crying children before the film was out.

I had to laugh at the part I bolded, Soda. If you thought it was long, imagine how that young actor must have felt. :grin:

Glennsallnighter
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Sounds like an interesting movie with a different slant Soda, but thanks for the warning about the kids. My 8 year old boy would be very sensitive about seeing one animal even snarl at another.

zeldabjr
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I'd like to see Lincoln...anyone seen it yet?

Prettymaid
12-02-2012, 09:50 PM
No, but we saw Flight, starring Denzel Washington a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. Denzel did not disappoint! His acting is superb and the storyline is intriguing.

SallyGee
12-04-2012, 06:43 PM
We saw Lincoln. It was great! About 2 1/2 hours, but the time flew. You really believed it was Lincoln up there!

zeldabjr
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
We saw Lincoln. It was great! About 2 1/2 hours, but the time flew. You really believed it was Lincoln up there!

OK SG...now I have to go see it....('cause I know you have great taste.lol)

sodascouts
01-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Just got around to seeing Les Miserables...... Wow. I was blown away. I cried but the end is so uplifting..... It's absolutely beautiful. Plus, the acting is excellent. I hope these people get some Oscars!

zeldabjr
01-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Just got around to seeing Les Miserables...... Wow. I was blown away. I cried but the end is so uplifting..... It's absolutely beautiful. Plus, the acting is excellent. I hope these people get some Oscars!

wasn't it amazing?!...I cried and cried...so glad I had tissues in my purse!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-26-2013, 09:02 PM
ok saw the denzel movie it was great .
now has anyone seen silver linings play book or the new mark wahlberg movie broken city
my friend and i are trying to decide,,

Topkat
01-27-2013, 10:24 AM
ok saw the denzel movie it was great .
now has anyone seen silver linings play book or the new mark wahlberg movie broken city
my friend and i are trying to decide,,

I heard Silver Linings is very good. My friend saw it. I think I will be seeing that soon!

Troubadour
01-27-2013, 11:38 AM
I really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook. It was a pleasant surprise! I also loved Les Mis and I really want to see Flight, Lincoln and Gangster Squad. For some reason, Life of Pi doesn't greatly appeal to me, but I have been told by many people that the book is incredible.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
I really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook. It was a pleasant surprise! I also loved Les Mis and I really want to see Flight, Lincoln and Gangster Squad. For some reason, Life of Pi doesn't greatly appeal to me, but I have been told by many people that the book is incredible.
well we are doing silver linings playbook and JAHH isnt going with...
we all say flight and enjoyed it ..denzel doesnt dissapoint.
I want to see GAngster squad too but it has only been out for two weeks and you can only see it one time a day instead of every few hours so thats kinda weird...I think it will be on video soon even tough it really looks good.
I hear the parental guidence movie with bette and billy is good froma few people at wok but JAHH wont sit through that at all....
We go through this every time we go...there are things we want to see and things he wants to see so we try and take turnsand be fair.
I think he wants zero dark thirty but I dont wanna sit through that at all..I can wait for the video...
I'll let you know what happens

Troubadour
02-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I just saw Gangster Squad and really enjoyed it. It is quite violent, but it has funny parts and it's basically just very entertaining and action-packed. The eye-candy isn't bad either! Speaking of which, Robert Patrick plays a kind of southern gunslinger and he reminded me a lot of Don in this movie. I've always thought he looked quite a bit like him, but even more so nowadays with the goatee! The blue eyes don't hurt...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/Continued/RobertPatrick_zpsafc42552.jpg

Brooke
02-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Wow he sure does! :shock:

TimothyBFan
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Just have to say that after watching all the previews during the Super Bowl last night, I'm really anxious to see all the new movies coming out, The Lone Ranger with Jonny Depp, the new Star Trek movie and The Fast and the Furious 6.

Troubadour
02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I didn't know they were making a Fast and Furious 6!

sodascouts
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm mad at myself for missing Skyfall and The Hobbit. I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek movie as well as the new Die Hard movie (guilty pleasure).

That guy could totally play Don in a biopic!

Grey Sadler
04-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Resurrecting this thread to announce that I just watched the stunning blockbuster...Duck Soup!
Gotta love those Marx Brothers :lol:

Outlawman13
04-05-2013, 12:41 PM
LOL Duck Soup is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Harpo is my favourite in there. Got to love that humour. Here is my favvie part in there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9OUIk4Oaq4

Troubadour
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Quick recommendation: We Bought A Zoo is really good if you are looking for a sweet, slightly emotional little afternoon movie to watch with the family. Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson are great, as usual.

Prettymaid
04-05-2013, 08:35 PM
We saw We a Bought a Zoo last year at the theatre and liked it. It's a cute feel good movie loosely based on a true story.

We saw Flight when it first came to the theatre. Some movies I will watch just because a certain actor is in it. Denzel Washington is one of them.

prayfordaylight
04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Going to see the Jurassic Park re-release tomorrow. Can't wait to see it on the big screen again and in IMAX and 3D this time!

Grey Sadler
04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Hmm, the Zoo movie sounds like one to look for...
With what did I follow Duck Soup? None other than the gripping, compelling...The Naked Gun :lol:

zeldabjr
04-06-2013, 12:55 AM
I remember thinking We Bought A Zoo sounded cute when it came out...will have to see it...

and heard Flight was really good...wasn't Denzel up for an Oscar for it?...or was the movie up for best pic?...one of the two...

and I have never seen Jurassic Park...am I the only one in the world??

love Duck Soup...but I adore old movies...TCM is the bomb to me...one of the reasons I'd love to go to LA...want to see old Hollywood stuff...Cary Grant is my hero!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
04-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Going to see the Jurassic Park re-release tomorrow. Can't wait to see it on the big screen again and in IMAX and 3D this time!

Let me know what you thnk???this is on my list to see again.

I still wanna see Admissions with Tina fay and we are waiting the great gatsby movie (a bunch fromwork wanna go)

BJ" Flight" was great..saw it in the movies
(awesome on the big screen) and on dvd.

Just rented Lincoln and Killing them softly for this weekend.

zeldabjr
04-07-2013, 11:50 PM
omg I just heard that Robert Redford has a new movie out...he acted in it and directed it...don't know the name...but must see it!!!

Brooke
04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Love RR! I heard they have a new Great Gabsby movie out. I think Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby. I loved RR in that and The Way We Were and.........

Also love Clint Eastwood. Almost any of his I will watch over and over.

zeldabjr
05-13-2013, 10:27 PM
just wondering if anyone has seen the new "The Great Gatsby"?...I love Leonardo DiCaprio but remakes never seem to be as good as the originals...I still want to see it though

Troubadour
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I haven't had a chance to see The Great Gatsby yet, but I really want to!

Outlawman13
05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
I really want to see that movie too!!!!

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm waiting for Hangover III... Somehow I got hooked on the first two last year... :lol:

sodascouts
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I haven't seen The Great Gatsby but a couple of my friends have and they both said they weren't impressed. I hope you guys enjoy it more!

Austin - I think I'll skip that one. ;)

zeldabjr
05-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Am I the only one who hated The Hangover?...I know it was a huge hit...obviously they're on #3 now...and so many people told me to see it...and I did and I didn't care for it at all. Has that ever happened to any of you?...when it seems like you're the only one who doesn't like something...and you think..."is something wrong with me?" How come everyone liked this but me?...

Austin..I see you're one who loved it...lol

WalshFan88
05-15-2013, 03:41 AM
LOL. I found it funny and weird at the same time. But I ended up watching both 1 and 2. I'm a comedy movie type person.. Some movies just don't keep my attention. Others I like. Just depends what it's about.

Brooke
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
I really liked Hangover I and II was ok.

As far as Gatsby, I can't imagine anyone topping Robert Redford's version.

TimothyBFan
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Amen to that!!

I'm waiting for the new Star Trek movie!!! :yay:

Tiffanny Twisted
05-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Ok I cant wait for the chris pine star trek movie..loved the first one was thinkking of rewatching it this weekend.
A bunch of us girls are going from work this weekend,:yay:

whitcap
05-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I just saw the new Star Trek movie. So good!

zeldabjr
05-16-2013, 05:29 PM
I really liked Hangover I and II was ok.

yes..you're right there about RR!

Houston Baby
05-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I saw "The Great Gatsby" today. I loved the fashions & set decor -STUNNING, 3D visual effects - GREAT, the movie - not so much. I have to agree that I like Robert Redford better as J. Gatsby. Of course, I am partial to Robert Redford. :smitten:

Grey Sadler
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet...why haven't I seen it yet?!?! :worried:

Victim of Love
05-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Hubby and our older son went to Iron Man 3 last week and haven't stopped raving.

Personally I refuse to spend the money to go to a movie theater and am perfectly content to wait until it comes out on DVD. That being said, I recently had my own movie marathon at home...Silver Linings Playbook (intense but really good), Safe Haven (a bit of a letdown after having read the book) and Road Trip (absolutely hysterical, a real LOL flick).

Tiffanny Twisted
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
What's road trip?

sodascouts
05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
My friend who's seen Iron Man 3 is totally into it as well. I plan to see it ASAP, along with the latest Star Trek movie and Man of Steel when it comes out.

So many good blockbusters this summer!

Troubadour
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Yep, I'd like to see Iron Man 3 and Star Trek, too. Pure escapism for a couple of hours!

sodascouts
05-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Last night I did a double-header: first Star Trek: Into Darkness and then Iron Man 3.

I found both of them to be exciting and entertaining.

As a long-time Trek fan, I was disappointed by some elements of the latest movie - canon inconsistencies are a given as are plot holes, but the worst part was some brazenly derivative material in the second half that made me cringe. That said, it had great action sequences and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat! It's worth the money.

Iron Man 3 was also very exciting, but I think it would have been cooler if they'd used the suit a bit more. And can I say Gwyneth Paltrow must have been doing some hard-core working out because her abs were better defined than most men's! There were plot holes but they managed to surprise me several times which is unusual in these types of movies. I liked that! Lots of laughs, too.

Troubadour
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for posting your thoughts, Soda!

I just saw The Great Gatsby in 3D at the cinema. I really enjoyed it; the cinematography was fantastic and I really felt like I was pulled into the story. It was maybe a little long, but I thought they did a great job with it. Leo was brilliant, as usual.

sodascouts
11-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I've just been introduced to The Thin Man series from the 1930s and I love it! Yes, the movies are dated, but that's part of the fun. The humor is still sharp and has held up surprisingly well; I laughed out loud several times. The second movie actually surprised me - I figured I knew who the killer was but I was totally off on the motivation. Even if you're not into old movies, check these out!

sad-cafe
11-13-2013, 12:05 AM
anyone see 12 years a slave?

zeldabjr
11-13-2013, 12:08 AM
I've just been introduced to The Thin Man series from the 1930s and I love it! Yes, the movies are dated, but that's part of the fun. The humor is still sharp and has held up surprisingly well; I laughed out loud several times. The second movie actually surprised me - I figured I knew who the killer was but I was totally off on the motivation. Even if you're not into old movies, check these out!

OH Soda...I am a huge old movie fan...and I love The Thin Man movies...William Powell and Myrna Loy are awesome together aren't they?

sad-cafe
11-13-2013, 12:11 AM
I also want to see that Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglass Vegas movie

prayfordaylight
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM

My mom raised me on the Thin Man movies. I love them!

The only movie on my radar at the moment is the screening of the new RUSH concert film on Monday night.

sodascouts
11-13-2013, 02:04 PM
OH Soda...I am a huge old movie fan...and I love The Thin Man movies...William Powell and Myrna Loy are awesome together aren't they?

They certainly are! And some of the dresses she wore would be fashionable today.

PFD - cool!

I'm thinking about checking out the recently released Ender's Game. I like sci fi and Harrison Ford. Has anyone seen it?

Tiffanny Twisted
11-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I also want to see that Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglass Vegas movie

Saw it and loved it
Mary steenburgen was great as were the guys

prayfordaylight
11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I might have to go see it then. I love Kevin Kline.

SallyGee
11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
anyone see 12 years a slave?

My son saw it and said it was good, but I shouldn't see it because it had a lot very brutal scenes.

Midnight_Flyer
11-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I want to see the remake of Carrie.....i still have to see the original haha

Prettymaid
11-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Last Vegas wasn't as good as I had hoped, but as always Morgan Freeman was superb. Plus he has a smile that lights up the screen.

Troubadour
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh! I want to see Last Vegas. I'm not expecting it to be brilliant, but as long as it's feelgood, I'll go for it! :) I want to see The Butler, too.

I would tell anybody who hasn't seen Enough Said yet to go and see it. It is the best film I have seen all year. So funny, but poignant too. I loved it.

Wildthyme
04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Has anyone seen August Osage County? After seeing it I really think Meryl should have gotten the Oscar but oh well.

What I am really wondering is did anyone catch the JD and the Straight Shot mention near the beginning? When Julia Roberts is being woken up by her daughter to answer the phone a radio is playing in the background and the DJ intros a song by JD and the Straight Shot... just wondering who knew whom in that movie to make that happen.

UndertheWire
04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
When you're CEO of Cablevision you can make these things happen.Being friendly with Harvey Weinstein can't hurt, either.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/august-osage-county-debuts-meryl-665773
https://movies.yahoo.com/news/harvey-weinstein-proud-sandy-benefit-film-113432518.html

DJ
04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
I loved August-Osage County. Very real and sad.

sodascouts
04-14-2014, 10:23 PM
When you're CEO of Cablevision you can make these things happen.Being friendly with Harvey Weinstein can't hurt, either.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/august-osage-county-debuts-meryl-665773
https://movies.yahoo.com/news/harvey-weinstein-proud-sandy-benefit-film-113432518.html

He mentioned one of his songs being in a movie but I think it was actually a different one... Maybe he hopes to become the next Kenny Loggins!

DJ
04-16-2014, 12:07 AM
ANOTHER GOOD MOVIE I WATCHED WAS MUD WITH MATTHEW MC. HE WAS VERY GOOD AND IT'S A GOOD STORY.

sodascouts
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Just saw Captain America : the Winter Soldier last night and I absolutely loved it! I highly recommend it for fans of the genre.

DJ
04-20-2014, 03:46 PM
My son came home from college so we watched the 2nd Hobbit movie the
Desolation of Smaug and it was very good. I love all those movies.

tequila girl
04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
That's not my kind of movie.....in fact I don't really watch films at all - but thought you might like to see my nephews take on it.
Smaug and the Thief by Andy Fairhurst

http://andyfairhurst.deviantart.com/gallery/#/art/Smaug-And-The-Thief-142844843?_sid=12f35e34

I hope posting this isn't an infringement of rules - please delete the post if it is Mods :-)

bluefeather
04-20-2014, 04:31 PM
I love Middle Earth(LOTR and the Hobbit)

Tiffanny Twisted
04-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Has anyone seen August Osage County? After seeing it I really think Meryl should have gotten the Oscar but oh well.

What I am really wondering is did anyone catch the JD and the Straight Shot mention near the beginning? When Julia Roberts is being woken up by her daughter to answer the phone a radio is playing in the background and the DJ intros a song by JD and the Straight Shot... just wondering who knew whom in that movie to make that happen.
on my list to see thanks for the heads up to look out for it.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
just saw wolf of wall street interesting movie

sodascouts
04-20-2014, 06:54 PM
It's an Easter tradition for me to watch Ben-Hur. Just finished it. The move is 55 years old but still so moving!

MaryCalifornia
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
I have never seen Ben Hur...why haven't I seen it? Is it good? I know it's a classic, but I don't know anything about it. I get it confused with Lawrence of Arabia! I'll get it from Netflix...

MaryCalifornia
04-20-2014, 11:56 PM

WT, I have not seen the movie yet, though I intend to, but I did see JD and the Straight Shot in LA and he mentioned about 15 times during their set that their song was in the film!!!!:laugh::laugh: Gotta be an Irving connection.

Freypower
04-21-2014, 01:44 AM
I have never seen Ben Hur...why haven't I seen it? Is it good? I know it's a classic, but I don't know anything about it. I get it confused with Lawrence of Arabia! I'll get it from Netflix...

It's a great film, set in the Middle East in Biblical times, starring Charlton Heston as the Jewish aristocrat Judah Ben-Hur & Stephen Boyd as the evil Roman soldier Messala. It takes place during the period of Jesus' ministry & the end is tied up with the Crucifixion, which is why it is popular at Easter.

Brooklyn Roads
04-21-2014, 02:23 AM
I was watching The Ten Commandments last night. I know it's biblical, but man, everyone is so good looking in it, your mind tends to go elsewhere. Yul Brynner, can't you wear a shirt in any of your movies? Darn you and your sexy chest! :pray:

Zanny Kingston
06-29-2014, 06:23 PM
I saw the movie Jersey Boys this weekend with some friends. I really liked it!

I had always wanted to see the musical but it seemed like it was never around long enough for me to get my act together and get tix! Going to see it in NY would be super expensive so I kept hoping the musical would come back around here again. I was so excited to learn that they were making a movie!

I only knew a few songs that Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons sang, before I saw the movie, so I learned a lot more about their story and their music!

I recommend it if you get a chance.

DJ
07-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I just watched the movie Revolutinary Road starring Leo Decaprio and Kate Winslet. It's a very deep movie about a couple in the 50's trying to find out what makes them happy in life. It's good but like I said very deep.
I love those two acting together. They remind me of the Bogie/Bacall duo

Tiffanny Twisted
07-03-2014, 11:08 AM
I saw the movie Jersey Boys this weekend with some friends. I really liked it!

I had always wanted to see the musical but it seemed like it was never around long enough for me to get my act together and get tix! Going to see it in NY would be super expensive so I kept hoping the musical would come back around here again. I was so excited to learn that they were making a movie!

I only knew a few songs that Frankie Valli and the 4 seasons sang, before I saw the movie, so I learned a lot more about their story and their music!

I recommend it if you get a chance.

I saw it last week with a girlfriend and we loved it.
I too had never gotten around to seeing the play (hubby didn't want to go doesn't like their music) so when the movie opened my GF and I went and did a girls night out. It was good and we had a blast .

Zanny Kingston
07-03-2014, 09:41 PM
TT- so glad you liked the movie and had a blast with your friend. Sometimes there is nothing better than a girls night. I feel so blessed to have a couple of really great girlfriends to get together and go out with.

tjh532
07-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I just watched the movie Revolutinary Road starring Leo Decaprio and Kate Winslet. It's a very deep movie about a couple in the 50's trying to find out what makes them happy in life. It's good but like I said very deep.
I love those two acting together. They remind me of the Bogie/Bacall duo

Did you really like it? I thought it was the most depressing movie I've ever seen! I guess that goes to show what good actors they are. I really hated it. Isn't it funny how two people can see the same movie and have such opposite feelings about it?:)

DJ
07-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Did you really like it? I thought it was the most depressing movie I've ever seen! I guess that goes to show what good actors they are. I really hated it. Isn't it funny how two people can see the same movie and have such opposite feelings about it?:)

I will agree that it was depressing but I guess I like the acting between Leo and Kate and how well they pulled it off. I again will agree not a happy movie but it touched on how matters were handled back in the 50's. "For goodness sakes little lady don't speak your mind or how you feel just buck up and be a good little wife". I often wonder how many women went through that very thing because they were afraid to tell their husbands how they felt. She was trapped and couldn't get out.

tjh532
07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
They do act well together. I have to be fair and say that, while I love Kate Winslett, I cannot stand Leo Dicaprio. Maybe that colored my attitude towards this movie a little. And I will agree that attitudes of husbands towards wives have certainly changed since then! Although, I will say that not all married couples were that way, it definitely was more acceptable to behave that way towards your wife.

sodascouts
05-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Just watched The Book Thief on HBO. What a powerful movie. Has anyone else seen it?

Keith
08-11-2015, 08:47 AM
No, Robert Redford! Not a comedy! Just saw the preview for A Walk in the Woods. I enjoy comedy as well, but this seems beneath him. He is one of my favorites. Nathan Muir in Spy Game was a perfect character for him. Great movie.

NOLA
08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Soda, I've seen the film on HBO, too, and enjoyed it immensely. I like the portrayal of a young German girl as a figure of resistance in Nazi Germany.

I often wonder how many women went through that very thing because they were afraid to tell their husbands how they felt. She was trapped and couldn't get out.

DJ, not to get too OT, but their experiences were the inspiration for The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. She and that book are credited with starting Second Wave Feminism in the '60s.

MortSahlFan
08-11-2015, 09:22 AM
I LOVE film! Here are some of my favorites..

-Harry and Tonto
-Nashville
-They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
-La Strada
-Birdman of Alcatraz
-Network
-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
-There Will Be Blood
-The Battle of Algiers
-The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Keith
08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
I LOVE film! Here are some of my favorites..

-Harry and Tonto
-Nashville
-They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
-La Strada
-Birdman of Alcatraz
-Network
-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
-There Will Be Blood
-The Battle of Algiers
-The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a great one!

AlreadyGone95
08-11-2015, 12:51 PM
As I said a few days ago, in the "What are you doing now?" thread, Smokey and the Bandit is my favorite movie. Gettysburg is a very close second. (I'm a huge Civil War buff thanks to my dad)

I don't pay attention much to new movie releases because I never go see them in theaters, and by the time of the dvd/bluray release, I've usually forgotten about them. :rolleyes:. I'm only anticipating the release of 2 movies. One is Inferno (Dan Brown's book. Author of the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. It's the next book in the series.) I love both the books and the movies. The other is the next Sherlock Holmes film. I love the first 2, especially with the smart aleck sense of humor. I've read a few of the canon short stories of Sherlock Holmes, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I kind of like Robert Downey Jr's version of Holmes more.

If anyone wants a newer (came out last year) movie to watch, I recommend another Downey Jr film, The Judge. It's a brilliant tale of an old small town hick-like judge (Robert Duvall) who has stage 4 lung cancer, but he doesn't tell anyone. His wife dies and his estranged son (Robert Downey Jr), who is a big city defense lawyer, comes to join the family to pay his final respects. During his stay, the judge accidentally hits an old enemy of his with car and kills him. However, due to the chemo treatment for the cancer, he doesn't remember anything. The judge hires a public lawyer to defend him, but he's a complete novice with no previous experience. Eventually, the judge agrees to let his son defend him, and what follows is a movie that had me on edge and at the end, wiping a tear from my eye. Oh, as a bonus Billy Bob Throton is the DA.

Brooke
08-11-2015, 01:12 PM
AG, sounds good! I may have to watch it!

I don't watch many movies either. Mainly because my hubby is very picky about what kind of movie it is (he will only watch action/adventure or thriller types) and, especially in summer, my Cardinals are on. The last week I was off on vacation, I told myself I was going to watch some movies. I did watch a couple, but they turned out to not be that great. When I finally get time to watch one, I can't find a good one to watch. :brickwall:

I even subscribed to Netflix for a couple months and never could find anything I thought really good to watch, so I canceled.

AlreadyGone95
08-11-2015, 01:46 PM
AG, sounds good! I may have to watch it!

I don't watch many movies either. Mainly because my hubby is very picky about what kind of movie it is (he will only watch action/adventure or thriller types) and, especially in summer, my Cardinals are on. The last week I was off on vacation, I told myself I was going to watch some movies. I did watch a couple, but they turned out to not be that great. When I finally get time to watch one, I can't find a good one to watch. :brickwall:

I even subscribed to Netflix for a couple months and never could find anything I thought really good to watch, so I canceled.

That sucks Brooke. I only discovered The Judge because my uncle recorded it off of the tv, and told me that I needed to watch it. (He knows my likes and dislikes very well when it comes to music and movies.) He's the only one that I watch movies with. My mom likes mostly childhood age movies(Disney and the like). I like them too, but I also love action/thriller/comedy/drama/horror, anything but romantic movies!

I have to buy the movies I want to watch because my data limit is too low to stream movies. I have probably close to 250 vhs/dvds/blurays that I can watch anytime I want to. It's just deciding what to watch!

Keith
08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
As I said a few days ago, in the "What are you doing now?" thread, Smokey and the Bandit is my favorite movie. Gettysburg is a very close second. (I'm a huge Civil War buff thanks to my dad)

I don't pay attention much to new movie releases because I never go see them in theaters, and by the time of the dvd/bluray release, I've usually forgotten about them. :rolleyes:. I'm only anticipating the release of 2 movies. One is Inferno (Dan Brown's book. Author of the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. It's the next book in the series.) I love both the books and the movies. The other is the next Sherlock Holmes film. I love the first 2, especially with the smart aleck sense of humor. I've read a few of the canon short stories of Sherlock Holmes, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I kind of like Robert Downey Jr's version of Holmes more.

If anyone wants a newer (came out last year) movie to watch, I recommend another Downey Jr film, The Judge. It's a brilliant tale of an old small town hick-like judge (Robert Duvall) who has stage 4 lung cancer, but he doesn't tell anyone. His wife dies and his estranged son (Robert Downey Jr), who is a big city defense lawyer, comes to join the family to pay his final respects. During his stay, the judge accidentally hits an old enemy of his with car and kills him. However, due to the chemo treatment for the cancer, he doesn't remember anything. The judge hires a public lawyer to defend him, but he's a complete novice with no previous experience. Eventually, the judge agrees to let his son defend him, and what follows is a movie that had me on edge and at the end, wiping a tear from my eye. Oh, as a bonus Billy Bob Throton is the DA.
The Judge was excellent. Robert Duvall is one of my favorites thanks to the epic Lonesome Dove.

AlreadyGone95
08-11-2015, 03:13 PM
The Judge was excellent. Robert Duvall is one of my favorites thanks to the epic Lonesome Dove.

Robert Duvall became a favorite of mine after watching Gods and Generals.

Keith
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Robert Duvall became a favorite of mine after watching Gods and Generals.
Another good one, but I was sure to watch that one at home after seeing Gettysburg at the theater. The only movie that I ever attended that had an intermission.

AlreadyGone95
08-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Another good one, but I was sure to watch that one at home after seeing Gettysburg at the theater. The only movie that I ever attended that had an intermission.

My dad bought a double vhs copy of it, and we watched it together when I was 7. I didn't see Gettysburg until I was a teenager, but I quickly fell in love with it!

Brooke
08-11-2015, 04:45 PM

Agreed! I loved Lonesome Dove too!

Keith
08-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Agreed! I loved Lonesome Dove too!
Not surprised, Brooke. Great taste in music has to mean... great taste.

NOLA
10-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Saw "Crimson Peak" on Saturday, a fantasy horror film starring Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, and Mia Wasikowska. Enjoyed the turn-of-the-century period reenactment through the scenery, costumes, and dialogue. I didn't find the horror effects to be too scary or graphic, save for a couple of scenes of extreme violence. But, even they weren't enough to induce any loud gasps from the audience when they played out on screen.

With that said, the plot appeared, at times, to be downright predictable during the second half of the film. A couple of key elements reminded me of "Haunted," a 1995 British B-grade horror film starring Aidan Quinn and Kate Beckinsale. If you are aware of the dysfunctional familial relationships represented in that film, then you'll know the big secret of "Crimson Peak."

DJ
10-23-2015, 10:22 PM
I agree about the Judge. Duvall and Downey were excellent. Last Sunday I watched all 3 parts of Lonesome Dove with Duvall. Good but sad....:weep:

deb828
10-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Has anyone seen "The Last Waltz" featuring The Band? Very interesting. I could not remember this band, but I feel I should have. The music was very good, and in the era I came from. I recognized some of it, but did not remember anything about the events at the time of this movie. There is a follow-up on Netflix about Levon Helms after the breakup of The Band, which is kind of sad.

Freypower
10-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Has anyone seen "The Last Waltz" featuring The Band? Very interesting. I could not remember this band, but I feel I should have. The music was very good, and in the era I came from. I recognized some of it, but did not remember anything about the events at the time of this movie. There is a follow-up on Netflix about Levon Helms after the breakup of The Band, which is kind of sad.

I thought it was wonderful when I first saw it but some of the guest stars' performances haven't aged very well. The Band themselves were great. Levon Helm is dead now but the saddest story was of keyboardist Richard Manuel who hanged himself. Rick Danko is also dead.

deb828
10-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Agree, that was sad. It was also sad to see Levon's bitterness in the followup movie. Being in a band can be so difficult. I was watching an interview with Grace Potter, and she said the prospective band watched The Waltz when they decided to be a band. Thought that was interesting.

LuvTim
10-24-2015, 08:12 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but I've always liked The Band. Love "The Weight," and also "Up On Cripple Creek." Oh, I almost forgot "Ophelia." :rockon:

AlreadyGone95
10-25-2015, 01:40 AM
I've seen parts of The Last Waltz, but not the whole movie. The Band is one of the bands that I can only take in small doses. After a few songs, I start to get bored.

I can cross a classic horror movie off of the list of movies I want to watch. Earlier tonight, I got to see the 1931 movie, Dracula, starring Bela Lugosi. It lived up to my expectations. Bela Lugosi defines and is Dracula to me. His natural accent is perfect for Count Dracula, and the trance stare is beyond creepy and terrifying. 5/5 for me. Beinh able to finally watch this movie sort of made up for missing Don Henley's Austin City Limits show.

MortSahlFan
11-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Favorite movies?? I'm always looking for recommendations, but I've seen about 2,000 films and running out.

Maybe if everyone put their favorite films, we can have a good idea what you might like and could exchange ideas.

I love:
Harry and Tonto
Nashville
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
La Strada
Birdman of Alcatraz
Network
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Battle of Algiers
There Will Be Blood
The Misfits
McCabe And Mrs. Miller
A Child is Waiting
Ace in the Hole
Ikiru
The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
A Face in the Crowd
Mikey and Nicky
Taxi Driver
The Grapes of Wrath
12 Angry Men
Elmer Gantry
Taxi Driver
Trainspotting
American Beauty
On The Waterfront
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather
Harold and Maude

11-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Good list MSF. It's hard for me to narrow a such an expansive list of choices down. But, a few that standout out for me are Dr. Zhivago, Titanic, and The Godfather I and II.

Freypower
11-01-2015, 04:48 PM
I can give you a partial list.

Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Amadeus
Tootsie
The Godfather I & II
Airplane
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life of Brian
The Third Man
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Unforgiven
This Is Spinal Tap
The Verdict
Singin' In The Rain
My Fair Lady
A Hard Day's Night
Easy Rider
Lawrence Of Arabia
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Lord of the Rings Trilogy

AlreadyGone95
12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Last night, I watched the 1980 movie Brubaker with my uncle. It stars Robert Redford as a newly hired warden of a corrupt southern prison in 1969. He arrives undercover, disguised as an inmate to see firsthand what the conditions are like. He then reveals himself and tries to improve things in the prison. Basically, most of the prison is not fit for humans to live in. The corruption is huge, and the prison board knows about it, but refuses to do anything because this system has worked for a century.

I really recommend this movie. It's a fictionalized version of the book, Accomplices of the Crime. A relatively young Morgan Freeman has a small part in the middle.

MortSahlFan
12-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Some great movies I saw in recent months.

-the outlaw josey wales
-fist in pocket (italian)
-the swimmer
-pather panchali (indian)
-johnny got his gun

WalshFan88
12-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Getting into watching the same 6 or so Christmas movies I watch every year.

Everything from the classics like Miracle on 34th Street to Christmas Vacation to Bad Santa, lol. Elf is another fav.

Brooke
12-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I've been doing that too! So far:

Elf
Miracle on 34th Street
It's a Wonderful Life
Charlie Brown Christmas

I have recorded White Christmas and intend to watch it tonight. I want to see Fred Claus, but haven't caught it. And Bad Santa and Home Alone and...I could go on!

Christmas Vacation is reserved for Christmas Eve. Every year! :lol:

AlreadyGone95
12-23-2015, 01:06 PM
I've watched Christmas Vacation twice so far. The Rankin-Bass claymation ones are some of my favorites. (Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus). Charlie Brown is a must watch, as is the animated version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas. My mom has been watching those romantic Hallmark movies, which I can't stand!

My must watch Christmas Eve movie is A Christmas Story. I've never seen It's A Wonderful Life, Elf or Miracle on 34th Street.

sodascouts
12-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Last night, I finally saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan and I have been jazzed about this movie for MONTHS, eagerly anticipating it. I wanted to see it opening night but since I'm visiting family and they wanted to see it too, I had to wait (although I considered seeing it without them and then watching it with them again - that's how badly I wanted to see it). I restrained myself, though, and waited until yesterday.

The movie was fantastic except for one thing... I won't spoil it, but there was this one thing that happened that really upset me and thus I have mixed feelings about the movie. I had planned on seeing it multiple times in the theater but now I don't think I could handle watching the movie again, at least not for a while.

Jonny Come Lately
12-23-2015, 06:28 PM
I really like watching Christmas movies and I have to say I do enjoy most of the Christmas films mentioned so far. I absolutely love A Christmas Story, I watched it a couple of nights ago. Tonight I watched Home Alone, and I laughed as much as ever at the incompetent burglars. I enjoy Home Alone 2 every bit as much. Bad Santa surprised me, I saw it for the first time ever this year, it's very anarchic (and very definitely not for kids!) but I liked a lot more than I expected. I love Christmas Vacation too, but haven't watched that one yet this year.

Brooke
01-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Hubby and I went to see The Revenant Friday night. I don't even remember the last time we went to a theater! He was really wanting to see this one after seeing the previews of it. Based on a true story. I liked it, but be prepared for gore, pain and suffering! I don't know how people survived the conditions back in those days, especially the mountain men. I couldn't do it!

Leonardo was awesome and I'm glad he won the Golden Globe for it!

LuvTim
01-11-2016, 09:09 PM
My husband and I saw the movie, "Carol," on Saturday. This is a period piece set in the early 1950's. The cinematography is just beautiful. An impressive film.

Pink Champagne
01-15-2016, 12:23 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed - have not been able to read a lot of the board as of late but I just saw "Carol" this evening (great movie!) and as I was watching the credits at the end, Party Girl #2 was played by Taylor Marie Frey. She would have to be Glenn's daughter, right? I wish I had paid better attention during the party scene. Does anyone have any info about this?

01-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the tip, PC. This is tricky because IMDB list the Party Girl #2 as the male actor Taylor Frey:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402927/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

If you are sure the closing credits said Taylor Marie Frey, then I'd say it's a good chance that it is Glenn's daughter. Otherwise, it is entirely possible that Party Girl #2 could be a male dressed as a girl. I looked on You Tube to see if I could find a clip, but didn't see anything.

Freypower
01-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Surely we would have heard about this if there were any truth in it. IMDB is a relialble source.

01-15-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm confused - how exactly would we have known about this, FP?

Freypower
01-15-2016, 06:14 PM
To be honest I don't know. I thought there might have been a couple of people who followed Taylor Frey's Facebook page or who may have had a Google alert or something like that.:hmm: