PDA

View Full Version : Seven Bridges Road

MikeA
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
A good friend of mind, several years ago, sent me some pictures she took of the REAL Seven Bridges Road...the one that Steve Young wrote and the Eagles covered.

Here is a link to the pics. I thought she had sent more, but there is enough there to tell that there really is "moss in the trees".

Link To It Here (http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/Seven%20Bridges%20Road/Seven%20Bridges%20Road.html)

Don't forget to left click on the main images. That expands them to full size and especially the first one needs to be expanded to see the moss.

sodascouts
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
How lovely! Thanks for posting those.

eaglesvet
02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Where is it?

TimothyBFan
02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
What a cool link!! They are beautiful!

MikeA
02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Where is it?

As I put that group of pics of Seven Bridges Road together, I was thinking it was located south of Atlanta, Ga. But later reflection brings to mind Montgomery, Alabama. The road I think was nicknamed "Seven Bridges" but in reality, I think it was Woodley Rd hence the picture of the Street Sign.

There are "Woodley Rd" on the map for both Montgomery and for Atlanta, but the one in Atlanta does not look to be "the one". The one associated with Montgomery, Alabama does fit the description (Southward as you go).

Further confirmation of the speculation can be seen in the third picture. If you look, there is a green sign, that I am pretty sure says "Montgomery City Limits".

I have lost track of Fredrika so can no longer clarify that.

Finally: From Wikipedia:

In Hank Williams Jr.'s autobiography, Living Proof, he mentions in the first chapter that the "seven bridges road" refers to the road in Montgomery, Alabama that leads to the Oakwood Annex Cemetery where Hank Williams' grave is located. To get there one must cross over seven bridges. However there are those who dispute this account.

The official name of the road is Woodley Road but it is still often referred to as Seven Bridges Road as it runs from Fairview Avenue in the city to Mount Zion Road many miles out in the country. There are indeed seven well-defined bridges and moss hanging from the trees. The area with the seven bridges is where Woodley Road crosses Catoma Creek and various swamps.

The account of the song's author, Steve Young, confirms this version:
"Seven Bridges Road was real. It is still real but I don't think it exists in the same way as I remember it due to development, etc.

"I lived in Montgomery, Alabama, in the early 60s and had a group of friends there that showed me the road. It led out of town and after you had crossed seven bridges you found yourself out in the country on a dirt road. Spanish Moss hung in the trees and there were old farms with old fences and graveyards and churches and streams. A high-bank dirt road with trees. It seemed like a Disney Fantasy at times. People went there to park or get stoned or just to get away from it all. I thought my friends had made up the name 'Seven Bridges Road.' I found out later that it had been called by that name for over a hundred years. That people had been struck by the beauty of the road for a long time, however, this is not the official name of the road. It is a 'folk name.'

Ive always been a dreamer
02-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow, Mike! Thanks for the great pictures and your 'research'. Ah - the sacrifices one has to make as an Eagles fan. But, but it is totally worth it because there are some like me that just LOVE these types of stories.

thelongrun
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
So cool but... I saw just 1 Bridge in the Photos, Maybe 2? I used to imagine something like the Streep- Eastwood Movie:confused:

Or silly me, is just a name....?

MikeA
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Ahhhhh....I found what I think is the rest of the pictures. Browsing through these leaves me with a much greater understanding of the inspiration that was provided to Steve Young in putting his creativity into the writing of "Seven Bridges Road."

Revisit this album and do not forget that you can left-click on the image to expand it to its max size. Some beautiful photos of the Road and the inhabitants (wild and tame) along with some of the graveyards, old homesteads, fields and barns that are along the road.

Amazing:

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/Seven%20Bridges%20Road/Seven%20Bridges%20Road.html

TimothyBFan
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Beautiful!!! I bet that is one spooky road at night time!! Did we ever really determine where it is located?

MikeA
02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Beautiful!!! I bet that is one spooky road at night time!! Did we ever really determine where it is located?

Yes. Montgomery, Alabama. I posted part of an article from Wikipedia "upstream" here in this thread.

MikeA
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
So cool but... I saw just 1 Bridge in the Photos, Maybe 2? I used to imagine something like the Streep- Eastwood Movie:confused:

Or silly me, is just a name....?

No. Not just a name. The road really exists and it is the one that Steve Young had as inspiration for the song. Wikipedia tells the story as a quote from Steve Young who lived in Montgomery in the 60's.

The roadsigns (Montgmery City Limits and Woodley Rd) confirm that these really are pictures taken from a drive down that road.

It's for real. These are not "just some pictures" I found on the Internet. They were taken by a friend of mine who has local knowledge of the area.

TimothyBFan
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry Mike --I just saw that!! Really cool story and something to see. I was down there about 6 years ago--I wish I would of known then. I wonder what Larry would of said had I told him I had to find this road! He probably would of commited me and thought I had really finally went to Eagles La La Land! :hilarious:

MikeA
02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
finally went to Eagles La La Land! :hilarious:

And who of us has not at times found ourselves in that Land? And, what's wrong with being there? :thumbsup:

ticky
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
it's my official address

ticky
Eagles Asylum/ Joe Walsh Wing
Eaglesville, La LA Land 1234567

MikeA
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
You're tickin' fricky Rhonda! (That's sort of like Tifany Twisted)

Hey, but there are a couple of those pics that I would LOVE to get in full resolution. Poster Sized. That one with the house and a large tree loaded with Spanish Moss....that would look excellent framed over our fireplace!

Brooke
02-16-2009, 08:02 PM
That was great Mike. Thanks so much for posting the pics and the story. The pics are really beautiful.

So, did Steve Young know Hank Williams, Jr. or what was the connection there?

eaglesvet
02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
I just wanted to add that La La Land is one of my favorite places to be!

MikeA
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
The connection with Hank Williams Jr? Not sure. I did see that Williams resided for a while in Alabama.

When I first read your question, I was thinking of Waylon Jennings. Jennings apparently recorded an entire album of Young's music. However, I have not been able to identify the "name" of that Jennings album.

From all accounts, Young is highly respected particularly as a songwriter, but according to those reports, his live performances are the cream of his success though he is said to be the Least Recognized and Least Successful of all of the Singer-Songwriters.

He has several albums out...mostly I think on RCA but I believe his latest one was on an Australian label!

I'll have to dig around on YouTube and see if I can catch anything he's done live. But I forewarn readers here that I am NOT a Country Fan. I did get into some of the "Outlaw's" music back in the late 70's and '80s. Waylon, Willie and the Boys. That kind of stuff. "Red Headed Stranger" is probably the one I like best...both vocally and instrumentally, Willie kicks BUTT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgqoTDRLhfc&feature=PlayList&p=66525BA8B925D6C2&playnext=1&index=15

COOL! This guy can SANG!!!!! And this version is the FULL version!

And another really good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQp1xDamaE

And some outstanding rhythm guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxdxbguh4Q

ticky
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
damn, he's got chops, huh? *G*

AzEaglesFan
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
I know we don't have many Country Music fans here, but Alan Jackson recorded a song called Midnight in Montgomery about visiting Hank Williams Sr grave in Montgomery Al. The tune has a real haunting melody and I love to listen to it. In the video they show the grave.

Brooke
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I thought about that song, too, AZ. It's a good song.

12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I had originally intended to just make mention in another thread that today is the 30th anniversary of the Eagles releasing their incredible version of 7BR. Then I remembered this thread. I think there is some very interesting discussion here so I decided to revive it for anyone who may not have seen it. Also to celebrate, here is a download of the band's Seattle 1976 live performance.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/SevenBridgesRoadSeattle76.wmv

I am soooooo glad the band has added this awesome song back to their current set list. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Me too! It rock live! And thanks for reviving the thread Dreamer.

Freypower
12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
But they are not playing the whole song. Having just seen it I was faintly disappointed. Surely other people agree that they should play all of it?

Prettymaid
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree that they should play all of it. I also think they should do a four hour show, but that ain't gonna happen! :hilarious:

What I'm trying to say is that of course I think they should play the whole song, but I'll take what I can get. When they added it to the set list in April they played the whole song, but it seems that very quickly they shortened it. My guess is that they just wanted to give us a taste of it to open the show, and since concert goers who do not know the song start applauding prematurely, it just gave them another reason to cut it short.

TimothyBFan
12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't care if it's that old version onstage, the version that we've seen backstage warming up or the new versions like the one Ticky got for all of us to enjoy, every time I hear/see it, I just get goosebumps!! It's magnificent!!

Prettymaid
12-16-2010, 09:05 AM
That's what happens when you hear good harmonies - goosebumps! It also happens to me on the last verse of The Last Resort, as I mentioned in another thread.

Brooke
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I love it any which way, too, but I would prefer it if they did they whole song. I really don't get them cutting it short, but I think Pm is probably right about the reason they cut it short. No one can hear it anyway with people clapping and yelling.

Freypower
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I hate to say this but that didn't happen in Sydney, where nobody except me appeared to know the song. :eyebrow:

12-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree that they should play all of it. I also think they should do a four hour show, but that ain't gonna happen! :hilarious:

What I'm trying to say is that of course I think they should play the whole song, but I'll take what I can get. When they added it to the set list in April they played the whole song, but it seems that very quickly they shortened it. My guess is that they just wanted to give us a taste of it to open the show, and since concert goers who do not know the song start applauding prematurely, it just gave them another reason to cut it short.

Well PM - I pretty much agree with you here except with my dream set list, the guys would be playing for around 5 -6 hours. :lol:

Of course, I would also like to hear them sing all of 7BR, but something is better than nothing for sure!!!

sodascouts
12-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Hearing SBR live was like a dream come true! Ideally they would play all of it but better to play some than none!

Tkenned6
12-05-2011, 03:20 AM
I've lived in Montgomery my whole life and my familys hunting land is just off of woodley rd so I know for a fact that the pictures are from there. And from talking with grandparents and their friends I can confirm that woodley was known as 7 bridges rd back in the day, now there are few more new smaller bridges though. But the hank jr thing with that rd leading to his dads grave is bogus. Woodley ends/begins at the Coverdale neighborhood which has had the same layout since atleast the 30's. It actually leads to F.Scott Fitzgeralds old house a few streets up, but at no point when hank was buried has it led you there. It'll get you a few miles from it but not there without getting on pre existing named main streets.

EaglesKiwi
12-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the inside info, Tkenned6 - and welcome to the Border.

sodascouts
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes, thanks Tkenned6 and welcome!

12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
I appreciate the info too, Tkenned6 and welcome to The Border. I absolutely LOVE this song so it's interesting to hear the background for it.

7BridgesDH
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Funny! Our "Glenn" tells the Hank Jr. story every night leading into SBR. I thought he made the whole thing up, but I guess he did via Hank Jr.!

02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
That' funny, 7Bridges. Guess your bandmate knows more than you think! :wink:

BamaMarv
06-13-2017, 05:26 PM
I've lived in Montgomery, AL virtually all of my life, been a pro musician for 40 years now, and I can assure you 100% that "Seven Bridges Road" is Woodley Rd in Montgomery, AL, just went over it yesterday. All the local folk knew that when the Eagles version came out in 1980. If you'll check the Wikipedia page for the song, it has a lot of updated info that clarifies everything.

"SBR" songwriter Steve Young's dad brought his family here for a time in 1963 & he wrote the song while here & visited Woodley Rd many times. The former State of Alabama Attorney General Jimmy Evans was a friend of his in their youth & he remembers him writing the earliest version of the song & performing it here locally. Steve mentioned being here & writing the song in many interviews & has discussed the road many times, although he hadn't called it by its actual name in any interview as he probably forgot the name.

Hank Williams Jr (who is not a junior, btw --- that was a marketing ploy by his mom Audrey) tried to change history by stating that "SBR" was about the road that leads to Oakwood Cemetery in town where his dad Hank Sr (who is not a senior) & his mom are buried, but there are 2 roads that lead to Oakwood Cemetery, and combined they have a total of 3 bridges, no farmlands since the 1930's, they both go due NORTH (not "southward as you go") & there are no oaks hanging over the roads or "moss in the trees". Purely Hank Jr fiction.

I travel over the 7th bridge on Woodley Rd many times, sometimes daily for a week or so as it's part of a connecting path of rural roads to get you from east to west below Montgomery & avoid the traffic on East South Blvd. It's not a quicker drive, but it's a way-better drive, very peaceful & beautiful.

"Southward as you go" on Woodley Rd from Montgomery's East South Blvd, go appx 3 miles & you'll cross over 3 pairs of bridges pretty close to each other (bridges 1 thru 6), then you go appx 2 more miles & the 7th bridge sits all by itself. These are small creek/wetlands bridges that are maybe 50'L & some of them look to be 50 years old or more. The 7th bridge is next to cattle baron Bubba Trotman's ranch, which occupies about 2,000 acres bracketed by Woodley Rd on the west & Trotman Rd on the south. I saw one of his cows loose the other day right next to & almost under the 7th bridge & called them to come get it.

Pippinwhite
06-14-2017, 12:32 AM
@BamaMarv: Howdy neighbor! I'm about 125 miles north, closer to the Huntsville area. I knew SBR was the road to the cemetery where Hank is buried. I've never been to the cemetery, but I know where it is.

Stay cool down there! Lord, but summer is upon us!

Brooke
06-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info, BM! Very interesting stuff!

Dawn
06-15-2017, 12:36 AM
10 classic rock songs that radio stations need to stop playing now.

[Spoiler, 7 Bridges isn't one of them!]

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/13/10_classic_rock_songs_that_radio_stations_need_to_ stop_playing_now/

Pippinwhite
06-15-2017, 01:57 AM
Interesting article! I'd agree that you hear HC way more often than other Eagles' songs on regular radio, but since I listen mostly to Sirius, they have more variety in their playlist, and they'll roll out "Ol' 55" or "James Dean."

SBR, though, is in a class by itself because of those tight, multi-part harmonies. I've sung in choirs, and that kind of consistent harmony is tough, tough, tough to sustain. Especially when you're not hearing anyone else sing your part to help you stay on the path. The fact that these guys could do it -- and a capella, yet -- is maybe the best indicator of their musical gifts. Some of it becomes muscle memory, but that doesn't mean you can't (or won't) go into the weeds if you get just a tiny bit off the pitch.

It's just a great song and they do it so very, very well. One of my favorites. Always gives me goosebumps.

And for music geeks like me, here's the deconstructed version, with all parts separated (which makes their harmony even more amazing, IMHO.) Takes about 13 minutes to get through, but a fascinating listening experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lwJw6g2gM

New Kid In Town
06-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Pippinwhite - Thanks for the video. I had listened to it about a year or so ago before it was pulled from you tube. I love SBR - it is one of my favorite Eagles songs. Agree about most of those songs in the article. My radio station will play other songs.This week I heard Those Shoes, VOL, AG & TIE.

Pippinwhite
06-17-2017, 12:31 PM
@RedStorm: You're welcome! Glad you liked it. I thought it was just too cool.

@NewKid: it's back on YouTube. Listen while it's there! LOL.