PDA

View Full Version : Joe's Jersey

ticky
02-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Maybe this belongs under memorabilia but since it had such a cool story that went with it, I figured I'd put it here.

JOE WALSH Personal Game Used Baseball Jersey THE EAGLES (http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-WALSH-Personal-Game-Used-Baseball-Jersey-THE-EAGLES_W0QQitemZ120375767272QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0#ebayphotohosting)

This was the description of the item:

This is a game worn baseball jersey from legendary guitarist JOE WALSH'S closet! Wow! It is a size 46 and is a custom and professionally made Pro Jersey from Wilson Sporting Goods. This came from the private collection of Joe Walsh and Eagles manager David Spero. It comes with a certificate of authenticity from Backstage Auctions/David Spero. When one thinks of talent managers overseeing the often glittering careers of rock 'n roll stars or luminaries of the theater, one seldom thinks of Cleveland. Yet David Spero, operates from his South Euclid home to guide some of the big names in the entertainment industry.

From an office bedecked with photos of and gifts from the famous - including Mick Jagger's shoe, Ringo Starr's drumhead and Willie Mays' 1967 Golden Glove Award - the white-haired, somewhat paunchy talent manager guides the professional moves and promotion of his clients. Those clients include hometown hero Joe Walsh, guitarist with The Eagles.

Under Spero's stewardship, Walsh recorded the No. 1 single, "Average Ordinary Guy," and The Eagles conducted their spectacularly successful "World Freezes Over Tour." Spero's role as Joe Walsh's manager got off to a rather unusual beginning. "Joe called one day and said he needed help with a new project," Spero recounted. "He had a new record and wanted to play a few spots and put a band together. At that point, he hadn't had a manager in four or five years. So I flew out to L.A. and I got to Joe's house at the scheduled time.

"No one answered. I let myself in, and the house was completely barren. No furniture, only a piano with the bench piled high with clothes. There was no food in the refrigerator. And there was Joe, buried under blankets and sleeping on a futon." Spero tried to wake Walsh, who mumbled he wanted to sleep. "So I just wandered around his house for four hours. I heard Ringo Starr and Pete Townsend call and leave messages on his answering machine."

Slow beginnings aside, Spero went on to work wonders with Walsh's career. Walsh begin touring again, visiting 45 cities with The Doobie Brothers. Shortly thereafter, Spero engineered a reconciliation between Walsh and Glenn Frey, another original member of The Eagles. The band split apart after a tempestuous tour several years earlier, a tour Spero described as filled with "gobs of money and drugs. The band members were flying in their own Lear jets and staying at separate hotels. They got together only to go on stage. It was like a bad marriage."

The reconciliation between Walsh and Frey eventually brought the entire band back together, leading ultimately to The Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over Tour" and $200 million in gross receipts.

That tour "was the coolest thing I ever did," said Spero. "We flew in our own 727 dubbed `Eagle One.' We got to take our families. We stayed in the best hotels and lived like kings. And the performance of the band was amazing. Not once did I walk away from a show thinking, "Tonight wasn't the night."

This is a very rare rock collectable and it's just absolutely gorgeous in person! Just in time for the perfect Christmas gift for your JOE WALSH/EAGLES fan! This piece is not for the squeamish... it's a very high end collectable!

What A Great Addition To Any Serious "Classic Rock" Collection.

Wish I had an extra $600.00!!! ...my new jammies *G*

Prettymaid
02-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Nice story - nice jersey!

sodascouts
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow, that is cool! Love the story!

BTW, when trying to choose what thread to put it in... "Walsh Worship" is actually for photos of Joe Walsh, which this doesn't contain. It's not a big deal, but I'm afraid the post will get buried in the photo thread, so I'm going to make it its own thread. :)

AzEaglesFan
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Did you check out the James Gang Rides Again T Shirt, It's autographed and only starts at $99.:eyebrow:

ticky
02-16-2009, 01:56 PM
BUT it's a phony autograph. Makes me wonder about this jersey too. Same guy selling it, but its obviously a phony.. he didnt ever TRY to make it look like Joe's hand writing...

sodascouts
02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
The shirt seems to have been taken down - did the auction end?

I think the Jersey is the real-deal. I remember the Backstage Auction that this was bought from - I bought something from there as well, but returned it - and that certificate looks legit.

ticky
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM
here's the T-shirt James Gang T-shirt (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120377243198&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr8_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=120375767272&itemcount=8&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D8) and I think you're right about the Jersey. I thought the cert looked good too, but tell me what you think of the T-shirt...

sodascouts
02-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks - don't know how I missed it! T-shirt sigs are always difficult to gauge because of the cloth interfering with the smoothness of the signing. I think it might be legit, but if in doubt... don't buy it! That's my motto.

Freypower
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I am a bit dubious about some of David Spero's claims. I had to get out my HFO tour book and found him listed as a 'personal manager'. I think he's claiming Irving's role here, which surely is not correct. How much role did he really have in Glenn and Joe's reconciliation?

Ive always been a dreamer
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Those are NICE.