PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Album Survivor

Pages : 1 [2]

MikeA
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM
PM,

I grew up in "the day". I pretty much Survived it. Honestly, there is very little that I would change...certainly would I not wish to have missed the experience of the Birth of the kind of music most everyone on this Forum anyway LOVES!

I worked my way through Transistor Radios, through Record Players, through 45 and 33-1/3 platters, through Component Stereos, through Reel to Reel tape recorders, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, VHS and DVDs, through the birth of Midi on computers on into the MP3 music formats and into the MP3 players...yes, the mini-disc recorder/players too.

There was none of it I didn't like. Well, saying I liked 8-track is stretching it a little <LOL>

But as some of you know, experiencing "first hand" what many will only be able to witness as "history" is something that I'll always cherish. Somehow, I really believe that the 70's and late 60's will be remembered just like the Roaring 20's are remembered today. It's been a special time.

Prettymaid
03-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm not too far behind ya Mike! And yes, the cultural changes that went on in the sixties and seventies, especially musically, make me happy that I grew up when I did.

Freypower
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM
The last few posts have made me extremely nostalgic! Oh, to go back to the time when you bought a new album, were so excited that you couldn't even wait until you got home - you would tear the plastic off in the car and look at everything, while the smell of the cardboard wafted up to your nose...
Then you would get home and immediatley play it as you scanned the lyrics to every song, reading who contributed what to what song...

:| :sad: :ack::cry::weep:

I went through all of that when I bought the LROOE CD, until the last part, where there were no contributions listed, and that is something that still jars with me.

But as far as buying music from iTunes I do it all the time. I have found that I've gone back and bought albums which I had on vinyl but never bought the CD (an example is Jackson Browne's Lives In The Balance; another is Van Morrison's Inarticulate Speech of the Heart). So I don't have hard copies of those albums but I do have the songs.

In Australia in the 70s the Eagles were virtually inaccessible, even on TV. I never saw the video of HC until the end of 1978 when the top pop music program finally showed it after having been bombarded with endless requests for it for two years (what did they show instead? Fleetwood Mac, Boz Scaggs, Peter Frampton, Abba and the Bee Gees, much as I love the Bee Gees. I never became the sort of Fleetwood Mac fan that Soda did because here they were completely over-exposed). So the Eagles were this huge mystery unlike anyone else, which was why I waited with increasing impatience for The Long Run.

TimothyBFan
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
In Australia in the 70s the Eagles were virtually inaccessible, even on TV. I never saw the video of HC until the end of 1978 when the top pop music program finally showed it after having been bombarded with endless requests for it for two years (what did they show instead? Fleetwood Mac, Boz Scaggs, Peter Frampton, Abba and the Bee Gees, much as I love the Bee Gees. I never became the sort of Fleetwood Mac fan that Soda did because here they were completely over-exposed). So the Eagles were this huge mystery unlike anyone else, which was why I waited with increasing impatience for The Long Run.

FP-I feel your pain! This kinda reminds me of myself in the late 70's wanting to see or hear anything by Sweet!! Here in the states they were basically nonexistent and I craved them!!

BTW~WOW-Boz Scaggs huh? I love him!!