PDA

View Full Version : "The Best of Timothy B. Schmit"

sodascouts
02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Timothy is the only current Eagle without a "Best of" collection. So, let's make one for him!

Tim fans... if you were in charge of picking out what songs to include on a "Best of Timothy B. Schmit" CD, what would make the cut?

The only limitations are that they have to be solo songs (no Eagles or Poco), and you have to stop at 14 songs.

My picks:

Playin' It Cool
So Much in Love
Tell Me What You Dream
Boys Night Out
Don't Give Up
A Better Day Is Coming
Was It Just the Moonlight
Something Sad
Down By the River
The Shadow
Every Song Is You
Make You Feel My Love
Let It Be Me
Caroline No

TimothyBFan
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
:yay: An excuse to put all the TBS albums on and listen closely to form a list of ONLY 14 songs. I can see me later saying to Larry "but I have to do this, it's homework!". He isn't a big fan of TBS's solo stuff. :sad:

I will get back to you soon!!! :partytime:

tbs fanatic
02-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Ha! I'm with you TBF. Shall have to put them all on and listen closely - a tough assignment but I shall do my best :rofl::grooving:

Ive always been a dreamer
02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow - this was hard narrowing it down to just 14 songs - there are so many good ones to choose from. It is interesting how different my list is from Soda's, but after 'refreshing' my memory a bit, here is my list ...

1. Playin' It Cool
2. Something's Wrong (great backup vocal by JD)
3. Wrong Number
4. Gimme the Money (love the smokin' Walsh guitar work)
5. Boys Night Out
6. Jazz Street
7. Tell Me the Truth (awesome backup Henley vocal)
8. Was It Just the Moonlight
9. Down By the River (may just be my favorite - this is one hot, sexy song)
10. In Roxy's Eye
11. The Shadow
12. Every Song Is You
13. Make You Feel My Love
14. Let It Be Me

Honorable mentions: Tell Me What You Dream, For the Children, I'll Always Let You In, Moment of Truth, Song for Owen

TimothyBFan
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Think I've got it!! It was hard and time consuming--but I got thru it--all for the Border!!! :hilarious:
In no particular order...

1.) Was It Just The Moonlight
2.) Every Song Is You
3.) Playin' It Cool
4.) Tell Me What You Dream
5.) Boys Night Out
6.) Make You Feel My Love
7.) Something Sad
8.) The Shadow
9.) Don't Give Up
10.) Top Of The Stairs
11.) Voices
12.) So Much In Love
13.) All I Want To Do
14.) A Better Day Is Coming

I am going to bend the rules a bit (imagine that!) and because he is going to record ME a "special" edition-with bonus tracks and Voices is a very short song so there should be room...
Bonus Tracks are
1.) Keep On Tryin'
2.) Caroline No
3.) Let It Be Me

Actually--since the rule was it had to be his stuff -no Eagles or Poco--I used my 3 bonus tracks as stuff I was uncertain of. KOT to me is Poco, Caroline No is him and the Beach Boys and LIBM I feel is a Jackson Browne song with Tim dueting. I also would include LWKUA and ICTYW but I thought I would be pressing my luck! :hilarious:

LWKUA
02-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok, I've finally decided on mine -- for sure not easy however also a lot of fun!! :) ...And, like you said TBF, a good "excuse" to listen to more Timothy music!

It's also been great to be able compare lists-- I'm looking forward to seeing more of others' favorites!!

1. The Shadow
2. Running
3. Make You Feel My Love
4. Top of the Stairs
5. Don't Give Up
6. A Better Day is Coming
7. Hold Me in Your Heart
8. Was It Just the Moonlight
9. In Roxy's Eyes
10. For the Children
11. So Much in Love
12. Tell Me What you Dream
13. Caroline No
14. I Only Have Eyes For You

sodascouts
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, so far, the most popular songs are:

A Better Day Is Coming
Boys Night Out
Caroline No
Don't Give Up
Every Song Is You
Let It Be Me
Make You Feel My Love
Playin' It Cool
So Much in Love
Tell Me What You Dream
The Shadow
Was It Just the Moonlight

Great choices!

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok this will take some pondering as we only can pick 14 but I'll give it a shot and post my choices ASAP. Great idea and maybe we can burn a cd of the results and send it to Timothy from all of us as a kind of Thank you for all his great music and time he gives his fans. What do you think??:eyebrow:

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
TG--fabulous idea!!!! :applause:

Just want to say I am loving this list so far (but in reality I would need to add about 3 dozen more:hilarious:) and also that I love

EVERY SONG IS YOU :thumbsup:

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I thought maybe if we showed him our interest in a Best of Album then maybe he just might think of putting one out and selling it on his website so there would be less cost that way!?! I'd love to see what he would pick to put on it if he was doing it :smitten: . Even if he doesn't maybe he'd tell us his picks and we could burn our own Best of Album!! :nervous: Just a thought.

melrose
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm loving this "Best of" idea. I really want to get my list up here, but I am anxiously waiting for some cds in the mail. I let my sister-in-law borrow the cds about 2 months ago and, while at work not long after that, her car was stolen...with my cds! :weep: She felt horrible about the whole ordeal and she ordered me four replacement cds!!! So, I will hopefully be :grooving: soon, and my list will be posted shortly after.

TG- that is a great idea. I'm sure he would love to hear that his fans care so much. Maybe this can actually happen, who knows?

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
That's terrible ,Melrose, but I'm glad she found you replacements! I know the first 3 are fairly hard to get esp "Tell Me the Truth" . I got 2 of each cause I'm afraid I might wear 1 set out:hilarious: but seriously when I had trouble getting the first 3 when I found more I got them!!

I really would like to see a Best of Album for Timothy too, I think he deserves the recognition!:yay:

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I was thinking of maybe making our favorite picks temporarily available online for a "Timothy Song Survivor." I figure, if we can get at least seven people to pick favorites and participate, it'll be sufficient to work it!

And Melrose - how awful about the car! Here's hoping you get your CDs soon.

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
:blueblob: OH :blueblob: OHHH---I'll participate!!!!! :partytime::yay:

melrose
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
"Timothy Song Survivor" - Count me in

03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree that a Tim "Best of" survivor game would be a great idea. Like Soda said, if we can get 7 -10 fans to participate, it would be fun. Let's get busy, everyone - lobby the fans, get those petitions signed, write your representatives! :lol:

Brooke
03-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Sounds fun to me too. I'm in. :thumbsup:

LWKUA
03-11-2009, 09:07 PM
TG - I love your idea about letting Timothy know which songs we've chosen as favorites. How cool would it be if this actually did lead to a Timothy-designed 'best of' CD! (Now this would be something very special!! :partytime:)

Melrose - Sorry to hear about the car and CDs, but glad to hear that something (very!) good has resulted from that situation! :wink:
I'm looking forward to seeing your list!!

Soda - Great idea!! Count me in also!

TimothysGirl
03-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Not sure how the game is played but willing to play if someone explains it. I don't watch Survivor so if it's on that show don't really know anything about it--reality shows aren't my cup of tea :).

TimothyBFan
03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Don't worry TG--I'm not a reality fan either and had never seen the show, but caught on just fine. In fact, the rules are posted somewhere here and Soda and Dreamer are real good at giving us a refresher everytime we play a Survivor game. No worries!!

This one, for gals like us, will probably be one of the rougher ones played tho--considering the subject matter!! How do we vote ANYTHING off of Timothys? :brickwall::hilarious:

sodascouts
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
TG, I wrote this game explanation a while back, right before we played our first Survivor on the board:

Eagles Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7%20%5B/)

We also added "immunity questions" to spice things up. Those rules will be detailed in the first post of the game thread... when we start it!

TimothysGirl
03-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok I'll read up on it so I don't embarrass myself too badly :hilarious:! Thanks, Soda, for the link it will make it easier to get caught up with everyone :).

I agree ,TBF, I'm having a heck of a time trying to pick only 14 songs for the Best of list. It's making my damn hair hurt and to have to delete songs from the final list will probably give me a migraine :spin:. But I'll survive and do my very best LOL! Going back to my list now to try and finally get it down to 14 songs Grrrrr :heart:.

TimothyBFan
03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Calling all Timothy Fans!!!!!! I don't want this thread or the Timothy Survivor thing to die out!! I know Tim doesn't always get the attention the other guys get so lets try to get this together! I also know that a lot of you might not be that familiar with his solo work but Soda has plans to make the songs in the game available for you to hear online while the game is in progress. Who knows-maybe you will be introduced to some of his stuff that you weren't even aware you liked.

I see here that 7 of us so far have said we would participate in the game but only 4 Best Of list have been posted and I think that is what Soda is kinda waiting for so she can get a better idea of what songs to include in the game. I know we are all busy with other things all the time but can we get just a couple more lists perhaps? Where's are Tim fans? TG & Melrose--my fellow Timmy girls---you have both expressed how you would love a best of cd--can you help? Hey tbsf--I know you would probably participate. How about our moderator for this forum Timfan--where are you? We haven't heard a word from you in this thread which seems odd to me.

:partytime: Let's have a Timmy party!!! :thumbsup:

ticky
03-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Sure! Im in! Im loading my 'pod with some Tim stuff as we speak ~ Bring it on!

sodascouts
03-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the call to arms, Willie! You're absolutely right that I've been waiting for more lists to be posted. I want to get a good gauge of what to include, and it's difficult with just four people posting. I know folks are busy, but let's give Tim a few minutes of our time so that we can get this show on the road! If just three more people posts lists, it's on.

melrose
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I just checked the mail and Feed the Fire came today! It is the last replacement cd :grin: So I'm downloading them on to iTunes right now, and I will have my list up most likely tomorrow. This is going to be so difficult!

timfan
03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
ok here is my "best of Timothy" list....

1. Playin It Cool
2. Boys Night Out
3. In Roxy’s Eyes
4. The Shadow
5. Top of the Stairs
6. Song for Owen
7. So Much in Love
8. Every Song Is You
9. Tell Me What You Dream
10. Don’t Give Up
11. Everybody Needs a Lover
12. Let Me Go
13. All I Want To Do
14 I’m Not Angry Anymore

and of course I'd LOVE to participate in a Timothy survivor game :thumbsup:

TimothysGirl
03-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Almost done with my list just so hard to get it to 14 songs :doh:will have it up soon I promise!!

03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
It is very interesting how different everyone's list has been. There are maybe a handful of songs that make most everyone's list, but after that, we've been "all over the place". Since there are still a lot of songs that are on the fence of making the "best of" list, I'm going to lobby those of you who haven't already posted to consider two songs that I think are REALLY good. Please put these on your list:

Down By the River
Let It Be Me

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Let It Be Me is a wonderful song--it made my list as the "special edition" Best Of that Timothy's going to do just for me that has a few extra songs.

I gotta tell ya'll, I am really getting excited about this Survivor game. But I'm also afraid. You know how I always stress out during regular Survivor games so you need to prepare yourselves for my big meltdown I'm bound to have during this one! :hilarious:

TimothysGirl
03-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Ok I finally decided to put my list up :). I kept changing and I guess this is the best list. It is in the order of fav's for me, trouble was some were in a tie so I had to make some hard decisions. I just know this game is going to kill me :hilarious:. So on to the list :thumbsup:.

1.TELL ME WHAT YOU DREAM
2. LET IT BE ME
3. CAROLINA NO
4. VOICES
5. HOLD ME IN YOUR HEART
6. MAKE YOU FEEL MY LOVE
7. LONELY GIRL
8. THE SHADOW
9. IN ROXY'S EYES
10. SOMETHING SAD
11. WAS IT JUST THE MOONLIGHT
12. TELL ME THE TRUTH
13. YOU ARE EVERYTHING
14. I'LL ALWAYS LET YOU IN

So there you have it :grin: !! I'd also put JUST SAY GOODBYE in as a bonus as I'm not sure too many people have heard it as it was the bonus track on the Japanese release of FEED THE FIRE :nod: . Jeesh this was a lot harder than I figured :crazy: . This would have been a lot easier if it had been a double album with 20 songs on it :rolleyes:.

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
TG- in our little Timmy world --it is a double album!!!! :thumbsup:

Love your list but hey--where's Every Song Is You? That's my fave (this week ;)). I'm like you, I keep changing things around. We will be basket cases by the end of this game!

TimothysGirl
03-20-2009, 12:27 PM
So sorry,TBF, it was so hard to pick just 14 if it had been 20 I was all set :worried:. I do like that song very much and it was one of the overage ones I was fighting with, that's what took so long. In the end I just had to stop I was giving myself a migraine and that was no fun. It's interesting to see what we all agree on an where we spin off on our own :). Have you heard "JUST SAY GOODBYE" off the FEED THE FIRE album??

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Yup--I have a Japanese Feed The Fire also (it cracks me up to see the Japanese writing and the inserts!). It's sad (but a lot of his songs are) but this one I love the music too but for some reason the words make me sad, "it's so hard to be alone", like we'd let that happen if given the chance. :angel:

What can we say ~~~ we just love them all!:hilarious:

melrose
03-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey Girls, I only have a minute to get on right now, but I just wanted to say I have my list done and I will post it as soon as I get home tonight!

I can't wait for Timothy Survivor! It is going to be so difficult...

TimothysGirl
03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok girls What in the world were we thinking :sigh:! We've got to be the biggest Masochist in the world to do this you realize :hilarious:. Oh well misery loves company and I'd better be having company on this deal :brickwall:.

melrose
03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Alright, here we go...

1. Playin’ It Cool
2. Something’s Wrong
3. Was it Just the Moonlight
4. Something Sad
5. Down by the River
6. All I Want to Do
7. Tonight
8. Boys Night Out
9. A Better Day is Coming
10. The Shadow
11. Every Song is You
12. Make You Feel My Love
13. I’m Not Angry Anymore
14. Top of the Stairs

This was so much harder than I originally thought it would be. I thought it was going rather smooth, until I realized that I had 23 songs listed :brickwall: I really hated that I couldn't fit in some of his other great songs(Voices, Tell Me What You Dream, Don't Give Up, Lonely Girl, etc.) I really love Caroline, No but, to me, it is more of a Beach Boys song, oh well.

sodascouts
03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I have not heard "Just Say Goodbye"! Is it possible for anyone to rip it to MP3 and send it to me? Just PM me if so!

And thanks for the input about the songs, ladies. I'll be putting the Survivor together this weekend and we'll start it next week!

TimothysGirl
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Sigh, this is going to be painful I can just see it now :sigh:. Just kidding, it should be fun but really hard to have to pick a song to delete :shrug:.

TimothyBFan
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I have not heard "Just Say Goodbye"! Is it possible for anyone to rip it to MP3 and send it to me? Just PM me if so!

And thanks for the input about the songs, ladies. I'll be putting the Survivor together this weekend and we'll start it next week!

Soda--tell me how to and you know I will!!

Brooke
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok, I want to participate, but only have the Feed The Fire cd. I've been listening to it to refresh my memory, but some of these songs are not on it.

Soda, could you provide links to the songs, so we can listen to them before we start? It would be a big help.

sodascouts
03-23-2009, 09:21 PM
That's the idea, Brooke!

Willie - thanks for the offer - TG sent it to me. I'll put it up soon!

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Oh no guys! I've somehow managed to misplace Feed the Fire. In order to do the Survivor, I need someone to send me MP3s of the following songs:

Every Song Is You
Make You Feel My Love
Top of the Stairs

Also, I can't find Let It Be Me.

Thanks guys!

TimothysGirl
03-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I've sent a little something your way,Soda, so hopefully that will take care of the problem :laugh:.

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
You rock, TG! Thank you so much!

TimothysGirl
03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Not a problem, somebody taught me some new tricks so I'm practicing:hilarious:!

apostille
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Timothy B. Schmit
I'll Always Let You in Lyrics:
Hello, I thought you knew me better
But you don't know me at all
I know, love is like the weather
You can't predict when you're gonna fall

You can't brake the ties that
bind us, this I know
I'm never letting go, because

I can't face it--I tried to replace it
I cry every night 'cuz you're gone
You say you've got something to prove
There's so much to lose
Girl we gotta hold on

I don't really care where you've been
I'll separate the lover from the sin
I'll always let you in

I'm through holding it against you
I just want to hold you, that's all
It's true, I never could forget you
I think it's time to place the call

If you will only see me, baby then you'll know

I'm never letting go, because

There's so much to lose
Girl we gotta hold on

I'll always let you in

In my heart where you belong
That's where you've been all along

It's not too late to get it back again

There's so much to lose
Girl we gotta hold on

I'll always let you in .

cynd1231
05-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Greetings all. I'm not new to The Border but this is my first post (not sure why I haven't done this before). BUT your Survivor game is simply too irresistable!!!!!!

A quick bit about me: I'm a life-long Eagles fan, grew up on their music. Attended college at Kent State in the late 60's when Joe Walsh was there and playing with The James Gang -- used to trek to the clubs in Cleveland to see them in their early days. Also followed Poco so have been a huge TBS fan for MEGA-years!

So here are my choices for the TBS 14 best - in no particular order:
Give Me Back My Sight
The Shadow
Make You Feel My Love
You Are Everything
Song For Owen
So Much In Love
Tell Me What You Dream
Let It Be Me
Hold Me In Your Heart
Was It Just The Moonlight
I'll Always Let You In
Every Song Is You
Boys Night Out
Down By The River

Somehow I can't imagine Timothy titling any of his solo work as "the best of" because he doesn't strike me as being that vain.......more like "My Top 14 Favorites", if you know what I mean.

A quick, final note here. I believe in breaking 'em in early and I'm talking about my grandkids. My son has played drums since he was about four and now in his mid-30's plays with a local Boston band. His daughter, age 4, has had either drumsticks or a tamborine in her hands since birth (okay, maybe 6 months) and she LOVES music. I was visiting this past Thanksgiving and got an entire day all by myself with my little angel. I plugged in my iPod which had FTF uploaded and my precious girl was singing along by the time her Mom & Dad got home. (She also went crazy over the "Eden" CD). That evening my son made a videotape of her which we call "Olivia Does Timothy B. and the Eagles". It's hysterical and awesome at the same time to see this 4-year-old hitting every word and note -- sometimes singing a harmony part -- to such absolute perfection. When I'm having a bad day I turn on my CD's and synchronize them to my DVD -- and forget that I've ever had a care in the world!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

cynd1231
05-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Oops! Guess I was more than a few days and a dollar short on this one.:-(:headscratch:

Promise to be more diligent in the future..................

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain."
I say if you're gonna dance, it better be to a TBS tune!

sodascouts
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey, who cares if your timing was a bit off, your post was interesting to read!

melrose
05-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the Border, Cind1231! I enjoyed reading your "Best of" list. Unfortunately, it is really difficult to only pick 14 songs, and it took me forever to whittle my list down (along with other complications). Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself and your family. I must say, your granddaughter has great taste in music! I'm a long time Eagles fan, recent fanatic :hilarious:. I'm also a Poco fan, and have been for a long time. It's always great to find Poconuts on here! Don't be afraid to jump in on the conversations, everyone is very welcoming.

melrose
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
:oops: I missed where you said you weren't new to the Border

I think you picked a fine way to start your Border posts!