PDA

View Full Version : Did you watch the Oscars?

tbs fanatic
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I watched most but not all of it. Thought it was pretty good. Liked how former winners came out to talk about each nominee. Glad to see Kate Winslet won. Although I haven't seen 'The Reader' yet I just think she is a great actress overall. I was hoping Mickey Rourke would win. Sean Penn was great in 'Milk' but Mickey Rourke was fantastic in 'The Wrestler' - nice of Sean to give a special mention to Mickey though. 'Slumdog Millionaire' swept the awards - I have to say I thought the movie was really good but not as great as everyone else thinks it was. Yep, overall a better Oscar Night than usual.

Glennsallnighter
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
I just saw a few highlights from the news. I though Heath Ledger's father was extremely dignified as he accepted Heath's posthumous Oscar. Kate Winslet was funny when she compared the Oscar to singing in her bedroom at age 8 with a shampoo bottle in her hand. There's hope yet for Laura!!

EagleLady
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I was busy watching the Auto Club 500, but a ticker popped up during the race saying Heath had won an Oscar.

DonFan
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I am an "awards-show-junkie" so I watched all of it, & I thought the show was better than usual. Hugh Jackman was a talented and appealing host and the opening number was great. I just saw "Vicky-Christina-Barcelona" so I was happy for Penelope Cruz, and Kate Winslet's entire speech was great. Loved her shout-out to her parents and loved the fact that she told Meryl Streep to "suck it up" about losing. That was hilarious.

Troubadour
02-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I've only seen a few clips (due to work, the time difference, and a rubbish digi-box!) but it sounds like a good ceremony. I'm thrilled Sean Penn won. I adore him. I didn't see Heath's family... It must have been very moving.

Brooke
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I watched most of it, but finally gave up before the "big ones" were announced. I mostly watch to see the stars and what they are wearing. I thought most of them looked great. I always enjoy watching the post show "best and worst" commentaries. They are pretty funny.

As for the movies, I haven't seen any of them, but hope to catch some of them on dvd. We nearly never go to the movies anymore. That's something I would like to start doing again.

Lisa
02-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I watched some of The Academy Awards broadcast. I saw the intro for a few minutes.

ticky
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I watched the A~A's but due to Dish Networks dispute with ABC, we had to disconnect the dish and hook up an antenna. It wasnt great reception, but we did see it. Heath Ledger's family was very moving and I loved that they had all the past living recipients of the awards awarding the present recipient. Each one seemed to make a comment on a specific nominee and it was entertaining to see who said what about whom. I really enjoy the A~Awards so we hurried home yesterday to see them. Im so glad Cliff figured out how to get them with a regular antenna (well, a chain, some tinfoil and the satellite cable connection *G* He's so industrious)

Peekaboo
02-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't get to watch the whole thing because I was at work but I caught bits and pieces of it during my breaks. I was really blown away by Queen Latifah's singing voice last night. I knew she used to be a rapper/hip hop artist but I didn't realize how good she can sing. She did a great job. I'm really glad that Heath won. I thought he did an amazing job in that movie, and i'm not even a Batman fan.

Koala
02-24-2009, 02:59 AM
I didnīt see the Oscars.
Since in Germany the Oscars is shown in the night
and I must work next morning but I always watch a summary!