PDA

View Full Version : High School Seniors

tbs fanatic
02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Okay, I know this is off the wall but it is driving me MAD. I know there are several members who have high school seniors this year. Are they excited about making plans for the next stage of their young lives? My son is completely UNexcited about it. He cannot understand why I do think it's an exciting time for him. I feel like I'm the senior!!! Getting him to get involved in looking at his options for next year is like pulling teeth. What does he think? The tooth fairies are going to come along and just hand him the life he wants??????? What is the life he wants? Who knows? The CIA couldn't get it out of him. I'm about ready to explode all over him :enraged: Is this a boy thing or what?

EagleLady
02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Seeing as I was a Senior last year. Your son is gonna miss out on a lot of great stuff if he doesn't get involved, like Senior Breakfast, getting to leave School early, Senior Field day ( If they have it)

TimothyBFan
02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
I think we may just be lucky here from what I am hearing from some other parents. Dillon has everything pretty much under control. He only applied to the one college he insisted he was going to, even tho we kept telling him he needed to apply to more. He was accepted to Indiana University Bloomington and we went ahead applied for housing and he was accepted into the dorm he wanted. He's already joined a couple of groups for incoming Freshmen. We already have all the FAFSA filed and just waiting for that info to come back. He has been applying for quite a few scholarships and grants.

We had told him a couple years ago, ultimately it's his life and we can't make those decisions for him and he needed to figure out what was to come. He loves to write and literature and he is very easy going so he wants to start out being a teacher of Literature in innersity schools, and get involved in writing and publishing, and eventually go into higher education and become a college professor.

Only time will tell if this is indeed where life will take him but we are very proud of the fact that he is making these decisions and seems to always be a step ahead.

Now getting him involved in graduation and party planning is a different story. Says he could care less. My husband says if he doesn't want a party than let him. But I think we deserve the party also for getting thru this! :hilarious:

ticky
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
We had a small stint of senior anxiety here too. Jenni absolutely refused to do ANYthing about college, graduation or anything for a while. I think for her it was kind of like the anxiety you might feel before a dentist appointment. It's scary and you really dont want to do it, but once you're there, it's not so bad. Cliff and Jenni used to get into it pretty bad during this time. He didnt understand what her fears were and she couldnt voice them. Once she did finally take a step in that direction and make some decisions, she was fine.
Still, she never got a senior portrait taken, she doesnt have a class ring, she nearly didnt have any of the graduation stuff (I had to fill all that out and send it in). I remember going through a lot of this stuff myself. I waited till the last minute to apply to schools and had to work at a special needs camp all summer to finish my credits to graduate! I think it's just a really scary time as well as exciting.

tbs fanatic
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Dillon sounds as though he's ahead of the game. Good for him. Can you send him my way - I can pretend he's my long lost 'got it together' son:angel:

TimothyBFan
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
We will keep this one but I have a feeling our time is coming with our Sophomore daughter. She wants everything handed to her and feels it's her God given right to have it. Larry asked her a few weeks ago if she planned on being the girl who lives upstairs for the rest of her life and she said yup! We may never get her out of here! :hilarious: Hopefully that will all change over the next couple of years.

ticky
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
hehehe that's what worries me a little about Jenni too, Willie. Her chosen school is only a few minutes drive from here. She does want to live in the residents halls but, M&D are very close! Cliff keeps threatening to turn her room into his comic book room. I have a feeling, we may have her here more often then we expected.

TimothyBFan
03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Well Dillon just walked in with his cap & gown and announcements and things. Geez--I can't believe we are getting this close! :weep: Are the rest of you handling this as well as I am?

ticky
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Jenni did the same thing on Tuesday.. she's been wearing the cap around. It's kind of hard to see, but her school is just on the other side of town so Im sure we'll have her here a lot. Still, my baby is going away! :(

TimothyBFan
05-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Should I be worried? I just saw on Facebook that my son put up an event invitation for his graduation party and it is showing 156 pending rsvp's! I'm gonna have to kill him!! I sent out our invites and told him to let his FRIENDS know. I was at the ATM last Friday evening and a couple of kids I know came up and told me they couldn't wait for his party. I told them I was glad Dillon had let them know about it. One of them proceeded to tell me that it was all over the school and to expect quite a few because, get this, "he was the homecoming king and is really popular and has a lot of friends". Oh God!!!! We are in so much trouble! I really am going to murder him!!!

Prettymaid
05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Oh yeah Willie, everybody's talking about your party down here in Central Illinois. We've got a couple of buses coming up - what time do you want us there? :partytime:

tbs fanatic
05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
LOL - oh that's a hoot. Let us know what happens. My guy picks up his cap and gown this afternoon. He's finally woken up to the fact that he's a Senior. He managed to get himself to the Senior Breakfast, BBQ and Prom. Just Graduation Day left - none of us can really believe this time has finally arrived. Last week of school for Seniors this week - Eeek!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I had meant to reply to this thread a while back, and just never got around to it. I was glad to see it revived today to give me a 'reminder'. Many of you older members already know that I have several nieces that I adore and have heard all about them. The oldest is our family's 'miracle' baby. She was born with a congenital heart defect and had three exploratory heart surguries before she was 2 years of age. She, obviously, pulled through them although many infants do not survive her condition. She has always struggled through school because she misses so much time due to her health issues. Well, she is going to be graduating from high school on June 5. I have spent much of this year tutoring her in biology and geometry so she could pass these to have enough credits to graduate. Yesterday afternoon she came home with her cap and gown. We had a long private talk and both ended up in tears. She is, like some of your sons and daughters, both very excited and very scared. I am tearing up just writing this so I'll stop now.

But, your post made me laugh, Willie. As Pink would say "let's get this party started". OBTW - what time should we there?

ticky
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Dreamer ~ *G* Congratulations to all your beautiful nieces.

Willie ~ Two words, Chuckie Cheese...

Brooke
05-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Yep, Willie, the party is all the talk here in Missouri also. I have a niece graduating from high school, too, and she and several friends are coming! I will post a pic of them tomorrow! :wink:

Congrats to all those wonderful seniors out there! Best of Luck!

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 02:55 PM
News of the party spread like wildfire throughout Indiana. I'm gonna be there for sure! :)

TimothyBFan
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Sure--all of you laugh and make fun but it won't be so funny when I am put in jail for strangling my son this afternoon when he gets home! I mean seriously, what was he thinking inviting the whole d*mn school! Where does he think the $$$ for all of this is going to come from! :eyebrow: I just keep thinking, of course not everyone will show up and the ones that do will not all be there at the same time.

Brooke
05-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, I got to this sooner than I thought. Welcome these lovely ladies, Willie! They are ready to partaaaay!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Family/prom1941.jpg

My niece is the tall one in the red & black. Have fun!

Actually, Willie, I would kill him, too!

EagleLady
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Your Niece looks very pretty Brooke. Very gorgeous dress too.

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Dang, Dillon wouldn't know what hit him! lol

MikeA
05-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Willie

I'm going to be out of town that weekend.....but you are welcome to run away and stay in my basement. I'm going to this party I heard about up in Indiana!

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I believe there is an Irish contingent going as well!

TimothyBFan
05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
:hilarious: :hilarious: Too funny!!!!

Update--my daughter just came downstairs to inform me that per Facebook, 37 kids since this morning confirmed they'd be here and another 17 said they might. Oh come on!! Glad everyone in the neighborhood planned on being here anyways, in fact the plan is to use 5 of the yards that are all connected once we take our privacy fence down on one side--thank goodness!!!

Dreamer--CONGRATS to your niece. What a great story! I'm sure you are all so very proud of her.

Brooke- You will make Dillon's day (and all his friends!) if you send that group to Indiana. :) They are gorgeous!!

Mike-I thought I was going to get some sympathy from you --till I read the last line of your post! Thanks pal!!! :hilarious:

This could turn into that Border party we all keep talking about. :hilarious: Now if only we could change the band to the one we all want to see. :partytime:

MikeA
05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
:hilarious: :hilarious: Too funny!!!!

Mike-I thought I was going to get some sympathy from you --till I read the last line of your post! Thanks pal!!! :hilarious:

Now if only we could change the band to the one we all want to see. :partytime:

What? You want me to bring my guitar?

:band:........:rockguitar:............:headbang:

Prettymaid
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
:rofl: Mike, you'd better not. Knowing you you'd probably sing some song with inappropriate messages in it and dedicate it to those cute girls!

MikeA
05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
:rofl: Mike, you'd better not. Knowing you you'd probably sing some song with inappropriate messages in it and dedicate it to those cute girls!

I assure you PM, they wouldn't be inappropriate....I'd take requests only and considering my repertoire, probably wouldn't be doing any singing! My interests would be purely intellectual at any rate so the girls would be totally immune to inappropriate actions as far as I'm concerned. However, I must admit that I am a very poor chaperon and am much in demand at such events.

I'm available Willie, though I declare total immunity to any legal actions taken by the parents of the plaintiffs!

Now WHEN'S that party? I'm a dirty old man and proud of it :makeout:

TimothyBFan
05-13-2009, 07:17 AM
:rofl: It's a small town and we don't need the scandal Mike!

tbs fanatic
05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
:eyebrow: I just keep thinking, of course not everyone will show up and the ones that do will not all be there at the same time.

Yep, you keep thinking that TBF :hilarious:

tbs fanatic
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
We finally made it through 'Graduation' - :partytime: It was a lovely sunny day so they were able to hold the ceremony outside at the local Univ. Stadium. It all went off without a hitch and was a lot of fun. Now comes the hard part - '..you're not a kid anymore.' Ha! Let's see how he handles that :shock:

TimothyBFan
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats to your son --and YOU for getting him thru it! Our ceremony is this coming Sunday the 31st. I'm just really dreading it. I'm having a real hard time thinking he is graduating, and as you put it, "not a kid anymore". He's been a really good kid so far and I think he will do just fine but I'm still worried about sending him off this fall (if all works out ok). And now he's talking about the Peace Corp after college. Heaven help me!!

Now the party is another story----so completely out of hand that I'm stressing out!!! My friend who is handling the bands (that's right--2 bands now!) was out here Sunday night measuring and deciding on where to put the platform and equipment. I guess I shouldn't complain to much--it's all free but I just have a bad feeling about this. And how do you plan for food when you don't know how many will show up? I really do want to hurt my son at this point.

tbs fanatic
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
TWO BANDS!!! Wow TBF - I'm impressed! :rofl: My son wants you to be his Mom :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Trust me--not my doing!! I planned on a few friends and family. Then the word started spreading and now I don't even want to think about it! The bands are only because 1 band, Last Call, the drummer is one of our best friends and they play for all the kids graduations and the other band, 409's, the lead singer is his daughter and they want the exposure since they are in the process of cutting a cd like I said before. Interestingly, found out this weekend tho, that Brittany played with her other band 2 weeks ago in Chicago and was approached by a guy who was telling her how impressed he was and wanted to help out etc... handed her his card and told her to call him. Come to find out, he was a drummer for Nine Inch Nails awhile back. How cool!!!!

MikeA
05-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Trust me--not my doing!! I planned on a few friends and family. Then the word started spreading and now I don't even want to think about it! The bands are only because 1 band, Last Call, the drummer is one of our best friends and they play for all the kids graduations and the other band, 409's, the lead singer is his daughter and they want the exposure since they are in the process of cutting a cd like I said before. Interestingly, found out this weekend tho, that Brittany played with her other band 2 weeks ago in Chicago and was approached by a guy who was telling her how impressed he was and wanted to help out etc... handed her his card and told her to call him. Come to find out, he was a drummer for Nine Inch Nails awhile back. How cool!!!!

Willie,

You'd better start taking lots of pictures and taking lots of notes and recording everything you hear....it sounds to me like you might be right in the middle of a ROCK N ROLL HAPPENING and may have to write a book!

TimothyBFan
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Believe me Mike--we are all very excited about this and have a really good feeling that she is going places!! Can't wait to be able to say "I knew her when!" She is keeping very grounded. She sat out on the patio with us this weekend like she always has and almost seems embarassed when we bring it up. Sweet kid!!

I don't know if I've posted her myspace before or not--I believe I may have along with her band 409's earlier in thisthread but in case I haven't, here it is again. She also has a band called World's Fair. She's a busy young lady!

http://www.myspace.com/brittanyleemoffitt

http://www.myspace.com/the409s

http://www.myspace.com/worldsfair

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/BrittanyMoffitt.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/BrittanyMoffitt2.jpg