PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Ship Tour Bus Accident

ticky
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29369433/

My Mother in law, Aunt Patty and Aunt Phyllis were on this bus. Patty and Phyllis were two of the three critical passengers on the bus. They're currently in the hospital in Miami in the ICU. Please say a prayer.

sodascouts
02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Oh no! I'll be praying.

MikeA
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm down with it Rhonda. Do let Cliff know you got lots of folks flinging a whole bunch of love your way! He can pass it on to him Mom and your Aunts!

EagleLady
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I'll be praying for them as well Rhonda

Stars
02-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I'll be praying too, Rhonda. So sorry to hear about this accident.

eaglesvet
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Oh Rhonda, I 'm so sorry to hear that this has hit so close to home. I hope everyone is OK, and I will keep you all in my prayers.

Koala
02-26-2009, 04:18 AM
I 'm sorry to hear that!

Glennsallnighter
02-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Rhonda! I'm so sorry to hear this news. Of course I'll pray for everyone and particularly your own family members. What a terrible way for a holiday to turn out. I hope everyone makes a full recovery.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

TimothyBFan
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Rhonda, as everyone else here, I am so sorry to hear that. I'm sending out positive thoughts your way. Give Cliffy a big o' hug from me as well and all of you know I'm thinking of you!

Prettymaid
02-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Absolutely Rhonda. Thoughts and prayers heading their way - and yours.

ticky
02-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone, We're waiting to hear back from my SIL who lives in Missouri. We're hoping she can get to Florida to be with Mom and my Aunts right now. She seems to be the only one with the time and means to get there. We're just all holding our breath till they're all home and safe if not completely well.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh my Rhonda - I'm so sorry to hear about this as well. Like all your other fellow Borderers, I'll be thinking about you, Cliff, and your family. I hope they will have a full and speedy recovery.

Troubadour
02-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Positive thoughts and well wishes from me, too. I hope you & Cliff are holding up OK.

ticky
02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers.
I got to speak to my Mom in law today and got an update. She sounded rattled but good. She's really sore with a lot of contusions and bruises.

Patty has a cast on her leg and one on her arm. She's had surgery on her eye for a cut just above the eye and she will have to have her cheekbone rebuilt as it's shattered, but she's coherent and speaking and her husband is with her.

Phyllis has a tube in her lungs for drainage and has had to have the skin regrafted on her hands. She has a fractured right arm and "road burn" on her neck and chest. She also will live and heal and be fine eventually.

The cruise line is picking up the bill for the whole thing, reimbursing their ticket costs, paying medical and making up for lost work pay. They are also replacing my Mom's camera (A really nice Nikon) and they are all staying in luxury suites at Miami's Marriots with a full staff to look after them.

Mom was the only one released from the Hospital at this point. There are 16 injured including the bus driver who was a native of Dominica and stayed there. We're still trying to get someone to go down there to help her out and be with her.

It's a long ways from over and the recovery time will be substantial, but they will recover.
Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know if there are any more developments.

sodascouts
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
While I'm sure it'll be a tough road for them, I'm so glad to hear they've got a good prognosis. Thanks for the update.

Prettymaid
02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted. Your aunts' injuries sound severe. I'll pray that they heal quickly.

MikeA
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Rhonda,

You have to be extremely relieved....I was when I read your post, as horrible as the injuries were!

As badly as they have to be feeling, I hope they can get some comfort out of the luxury they are being afforded by the Cruise Line! Maybe they can get a free robe out of it! And, maybe champaign instead of orange juice...caviar instead of eggs. Free upgrades to first class on any cruise they take in the future!

But I'm quite sure that they just want to get home and get past this awful accident and be as healthy as they were before it happened. That is what I'm hoping for them and the rest of your families!

Koala
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I hope that your aunts soon recover!

AzEaglesFan
02-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is out of danger and healing. I'll bet Cliff can hardly wait to check his Mom out for himself. To hear they are ok is fine but there is nothing like seeing them for himself. Our prayers are still going out to you all.

Glennsallnighter
02-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Well thank God all your family members are out of danger and will recover fully even if it takes a while. I'm sure they can't wait to get back to their own State and homes.
IMHO what the cruise line are providing is the very minimum. I'm not a litigous (sp?) person myself, but anyone caught up in this needs to be compensated fully for their injuries, pain and the inconvenience to their ordinary lives that they have suffered. Thats what insurance is for and the insurance companies make enough on the policies which thankfully never have to be used.

AzEaglesFan
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Ticky, What's the latest on your family? How are they doing?

ticky
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Everything's statis quo, thanks for asking. My Aunt Pat had surgery on her cheek bone yesterday and came through all right and Aunt Phyllis had the tubes removed from her lungs and seems to be doing better. It's just a long haul back. They'll be staying in Florida till they're well enough to travel. I'll let you know if there's any change.

Brooke
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh Ticky, I'm so sorry about this accident involving your family. Somehow I missed this thread. I will also keep you and them in my thoughts and prayers. What a terrible thing to happen on vacation. I'm glad they are all doing as well as can be expected, at least.

ticky
03-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I just heard from Mom. She and her sisters have all been released from the hospital and she and her sister Phyllis will be going home tomorrow, Patty and her husband will be going home Monday. With everything they've been through, they are the lucky ones. One woman is still in a coma and another young man who was in the coast guard isnt likely to ever walk again. His fiance lost her spleen. There were so many people who were so badly hurt, Mom and our Aunt's were lucky. Mom says thank you so much for all your prayers and well wishes. It's still a long road a head, but it will be very good to be home.

03-07-2009, 06:30 PM
That is wonderful, ticky! We will keep everyone in our thoughts. I know your family will be very glad to get home, and trying to restore a bit of 'normalcy' to their lives.

EagleLady
03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Wonderful News Rhonda! I'll keep them in my thoughts

Koala
03-08-2009, 02:51 AM
This are very good news!

sodascouts
03-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Glad to hear your relatives are doing better, although it's a shame about those who are worse off.

melrose
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
My prayers and thoughts go out to your family as they make their way home.

LWKUA
03-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Rhonda - I'm very happy to hear that your family is doing well and that they all will be home soon. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

Brooke
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the update Ticky. I'm glad they are coming home and doing well.

Glennsallnighter
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
So am I! I feel so sorry for the other injured parties though, I'll continue to pray for everyone!

ticky
03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey yall,
I'm at MIL's and she's doing well. She looks a little banged up, still has some black eye from the accident and her wrist is still in a cast, but she's not in a lot of pain. She has been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which is not just psychological like I thought, but stems from her brain having rattled around in her head. She's a little dizzy and has some equilibrium issues which she will be getting some physical therapy for. Aunt Phylis went back to work today and Aunt Pat is doing well. She cant be on her feet long, because of the broken pelvis, but she will heal.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We're all very glad she's alright.

Brooke
03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
It's great to hear everyone is on the mend. Thanks for the update!

03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Wonderful news, ticky. Tell mom and aunties that all the Borderers send them our best. Hopefully, before long they will be good as new! :thumbsup:

Koala
03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
This are really good news, ticky!

TimothyBFan
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Ticky!! Good News!!

sodascouts
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the update - glad things are looking up!

Troubadour
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
So glad it's not as bad as it could have been. I bet your MIL is thrilled to see you guys.

Prettymaid
03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank God, Ticky.

Glennsallnighter
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Ticky, I'm delighted everyone is 'making good progress' (Do I sound like a teacher here?). I hope they will continue to recover. When you think what could have been the outcome I'm sure you are all so relieved.