PDA

View Full Version : The Third Brother

sodascouts
11-13-2006, 03:02 AM
As I've told some of you, I got an e-mail from a guy who was a neighbor of Glenn's on Wyandotte Street in Royal Oak, and who was friends with his brother Matt. Before I got this e-mail, I'd never heard the name Matt Frey before, although I'd learned from another of Glenn's old friends that Glenn had a third brother whom he put through college. Turns out Matt Frey is 13 years younger than Glenn. Dang!

I was wondering - does anyone know if Glenn has ever spoken of Matt, or even of having a third brother at all? I know he mentions his other brother Alan by name in the Soul Searchin' liner notes, and has many times told the story of Alan hitting him in the face with a baseball bat when he was 13 or 14.

ETA: Found this on the topic posted on a Q&A site by an unknown poster:
"Matt used to hang out at a karaoke bar called the Corbin Bowl in Tarzana, CA. I wouldn't be surprised if he were still hanging out there today."

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

EasyFeeling
11-13-2006, 05:10 AM
A brother 13 years younger than Glenn?http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/eek.gif I would love to see a photo of the guy. Probably he does look like Glenn during the HFO era!http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

Freypower
11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
I've never heard any mention of Matt by Glenn.

Molly
11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
I had never heard of him mentioned by name, but I can remember mention of two brothers on Eagleland last year. Actually, I think it was mews who mentioned two siblings.

sodascouts
11-13-2006, 09:14 PM
I can't find the thread right now, but that sounds right. And mews would know!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Molly
11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
I remember hearing about the brother he was putting through college (isn't that mentioned in one of the Rolling Stone interviews?), but I guess I had always assumed he was talking about Alan.

sodascouts
11-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't remember that from the RS interview, but honestly I have such a bad memory for details. It could very well have been in there. :blush:

~

glenneaglesfan
11-14-2006, 11:31 AM
That's interesting about his younger brother. I've just skimmed through a couple of articles but can't find the reference to putting him through college. I'll keep at it, though.

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

balboa811
05-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I went to school with Matt in Royal Oak yes he is 13 years yo
unger than Glen!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I remember hearing about the brother he was putting through college (isn't that mentioned in one of the Rolling Stone interviews?), but I guess I had always assumed he was talking about Alan.

I just came to the board to post it elsewhere, it came up in a Google alert, and yes, he talks about put his brother through college.

http://www.theuncool.com/2013/05/13/the-eagles-rolling-stone-75/

Glennhoney
05-13-2013, 08:34 PM
I went to school with Matt in Royal Oak yes he is 13 years younger than Glen!

uuummm..what else can you tell us???...hahaha...:hilarious:

sodascouts
05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I went to school with Matt in Royal Oak yes he is 13 years younger than Glen!
Cool! Were you guys friends? Did you ever get to meet Glenn?

Thirsty&Hot
05-20-2013, 11:44 PM
This is interesting! looking forward to more information!

Glennhoney
05-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I've been told that "Harmony River Band" member is Matt Frey, brother of Glenn...you can check them out on Facebook..I don't see any resemblance...what do you think?

Glennhoney
05-26-2013, 12:44 PM
..Looked at the Facebook site, and they actually say that he's Glenn's brother.......

sodascouts
05-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I don't see much of a resemblance either. It must be hard to be a musician when you're Glenn Frey's brother. Comparisons are inescapable.

Thirsty&Hot
05-27-2013, 12:04 PM
yes it does say he's Glenn's brother there. that must be their big draw.

which one is him? the guy in the center?

Thirsty&Hot
05-27-2013, 12:07 PM
I just listened to them here (http://www.reverbnation.com/harmonyriver) on reverbnation.

they don't sound very good :/

Glennhoney
05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
It must be difficult ..I'm sure people compare him to Glenn..:ziplip:

GlennLover
05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
yes it does say he's Glenn's brother there. that must be their big draw.

which one is him? the guy in the center?

I believe that he is the one in the center.

GlennLover
05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
It must be difficult ..I'm sure people compare him to Glenn..:ziplip:

Yes, it must! I wonder if this is his profession or just a sideline. The site says "come & hear Glenn Frey's brother". Hard to say whether he approved that.

Victim of Love
05-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Found this picture of Matt on contactmusic.com and there is no denying he is Glenn's brother. This was taken at the Lucille Lortel Awards in NYC in May of 2011. I'd be curious to know more about the Matt Frey in Harmony River Band because they are definitely NOT the same person.

Also, according to a July 2002 post on AllExperts: "Glenn has a half brother. His name is Alan. He's 49 I believe. He often caddies for Glenn during his golf games at Pebble Beach, and the Bob Hope Classic. Alan can be blamed or congradulated (depending on what you think) for giving Glenn his nose. When Glenn was 14, Alan hit Glenn in the face with a baseball bat while Glenn was catching. (I personally like the nose)." I'm not saying the information is accurate ... just that it's there.

Glennhoney
05-28-2013, 07:20 AM
...verrrry confusing!!!:headscratch:

NYC Fan
05-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Found this picture of Matt on contactmusic.com and there is no denying he is Glenn's brother. This was taken at the Lucille Lortel Awards in NYC in May of 2011. I'd be curious to know more about the Matt Frey in Harmony River Band because they are definitely NOT the same person.

Also, according to a July 2002 post on AllExperts: "Glenn has a half brother. His name is Alan. He's 49 I believe. He often caddies for Glenn during his golf games at Pebble Beach, and the Bob Hope Classic. Alan can be blamed or congradulated (depending on what you think) for giving Glenn his nose. When Glenn was 14, Alan hit Glenn in the face with a baseball bat while Glenn was catching. (I personally like the nose)." I'm not saying the information is accurate ... just that it's there.

Very interesting, thanks! I wonder (as a theater geek) what he was doing at the Lortel awards. Inquiring minds...

Victim of Love
05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Did a cursory search on this lastnight and wasn't able to locate any further info but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. As stated earlier in this thread, we know that Don was an 'only' but I'd be curious to know more about Timothy's sibs and whether Joe had any 'steps'.

More inquiring minds....

GlennLover
06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I was looking at The Harmony River Band's Facebook Pages (there are 2) & in one picture Matt Frey is wearing a "Detroit" baseball shirt. Their favourites under music include Glenn Frey & the Eagles. One of their friends is Nellie Frey. She is Glenn's mother, so it looks to me that this Matt Frey is his brother.

AEW21
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Are both of Glenn's younger brothers from his mom's second marriage, or only the youngest? I'm a bit fuzzy on when she remarried--I thought it was when he was fairly young, but that Marc Eliott book implied she remarried shortly before he moved to Los Angeles, which always sounded wrong to me...

Freypower
06-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Are both of Glenn's younger brothers from his mom's second marriage, or only the youngest? I'm a bit fuzzy on when she remarried--I thought it was when he was fairly young, but that Marc Eliott book implied she remarried shortly before he moved to Los Angeles, which always sounded wrong to me...

As far as I know she remarried when Glenn was very young & the other two brothers are from the second marriage.

Thirsty&Hot
06-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Nellie Frey is indeed a friend of the Harmony River Band...so funny how much she looks like Glenn! I mean just because she is an older woman (versus a man)...the features are all there though.
I hadn't seen what she looked like before.

GlennLover
06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Nellie Frey is indeed a friend of the Harmony River Band...so funny how much she looks like Glenn! I mean just because she is an older woman (versus a man)...the features are all there though.

I thought so too! :)

GlennLover
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
During an interview to promote The Long Run Glenn mentioned that he had an 18 year old brother who listened to the kind of music that the Eagles were experimenting with on the album (Teenage Jail, Disco Strangler). That would make Matt 13 years younger than Glenn.

I have heard Glenn say that he put his brother through college, but I'm not sure that this is where I heard it.

Soda, Dreamer & PLS heard Glenn talk about his mother getting married for a second time during one of his concerts in Niagara Falls. If I remember correctly, he said that his mother remarried when he was three. Please correct me if I'm wrong ladies. Alan is five years younger than Glenn so he would have to be from their mother's second marriage.

sodascouts
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
100% right GL!

Freypower
06-07-2013, 07:09 PM

I thought it was hard to tell from that photo.

In the Harmony River photo which one is Matt? The guy in the middle? If so, he shares his sibling's desire to be centre stage. :pimp:

If he is 13 years younger than Glenn he would have been born in 1961 so he is a year younger than I am.

GlennLover
06-07-2013, 07:17 PM
I thought it was hard to tell from that photo.

In the Harmony River photo which one is Matt? The guy in the middle? If so, he shares his sibling's desire to be centre stage.

Yes, the one in the middle.

Shadowland07
06-07-2013, 07:45 PM
There's no way that's him. He looks nothing like the photo VOL posted. Looks like he got some hair transplanted to give him a widow's peak.

GlennLover
06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
There's no way that's him. He looks nothing like the photo VOL posted. Looks like he got some hair transplanted to give him a widow's peak.

It's not. They aren't the same Matt Frey. The Matt Frey in the picture is a theatre lighting designer. http://broadwayworld.com/people/Matt-Frey/

Shadowland07
06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Ah ok thanks GL, though IMO the lighting designer looks more like Glenn than the other guy.

Glennhoney
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Glenn sure does look a lot like his Mom...:)

Thirsty&Hot
06-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Ah ok thanks GL, though IMO the lighting designer looks more like Glenn than the other guy.

well they do have different fathers

MaryCalifornia
06-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Did a cursory search on this lastnight and wasn't able to locate any further info but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. As stated earlier in this thread, we know that Don was an 'only' but I'd be curious to know more about Timothy's sibs and whether Joe had any 'steps'.

More inquiring minds....

I am also curious about Timothy's brother(s) and especially his dad - what happened to Danny Schmit?? Has he passed on? His mom is in a home in Sacramento. Or about 1st wife Noreen? Never been able to find anything. His nephew is facebook friends with Tim's kids. It gets to the point where it feels inappropriately stalkerish, since they're private people that, from what I can tell, Timothy doesn't publicly discuss, at least in the present tense, so at some point I stop looking. I feel better knowing that others are curious. I am sort of fascinated by average people who have an extremely wealthy, famous, successful sibling.

Oooh sorry, just realized this is a Glenn thread. Will stop talking about TBS.

Thirsty&Hot
06-07-2013, 11:47 PM
I am also curious about Timothy's brother(s) and especially his dad - what happened to Danny Schmit?? Has he passed on? His mom is in a home in Sacramento. Or about 1st wife Noreen? Never been able to find anything. His nephew is facebook friends with Tim's kids. It gets to the point where it feels inappropriately stalkerish, since they're private people that, from what I can tell, Timothy doesn't publicly discuss, at least in the present tense, so at some point I stop looking. I feel better knowing that others are curious. I am sort of fascinated by average people who have an extremely wealthy, famous, successful sibling.

Oooh sorry, just realized this is a Glenn thread. Will stop talking about TBS.

I think we've probably all been there (with any favorite celeb) Mary... it's interesting! and also ..I dunno about you, but I have hopes that I'll find a candid picture I haven't seen before of the famous relative. feels like a secret treasure.

peepers59
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
I just came to the board to post it elsewhere, it came up in a Google alert, and yes, he talks about put his brother through college.

http://www.theuncool.com/2013/05/13/the-eagles-rolling-stone-75/

Just wanted to say that I grew up with Matt Frey. My name is Pete Stieler. I met him when he was our paper boy in Royal Oak. He delivered The Daily Tribune. My brother was the same age as Matt and I am a year or so older. His folks, Nel & Ed lived at the corner of Maplegrove and Catalpa in Royal Oak. We lived at 1212 Lawndale in Royal Oak. I have many fond memories of Nel in the kitchen, turning up a transistor radio until it buzzed saying "That's Glenn! That's Glenn!". In the early 70s, we went to movies together...Westworld, Rollerball (the one with James Caan) and many others. We formed a band in 1975. My brother Scott Stieler was the drummer and I played guitar. Jim MacPhee was our bass player. I have a huge number of great stories and hope to share them. I also have photos of Matt from those days. I'll try to post some. I'd like to locate Matt. We made a number of Super 8 movies back in those days. Glenn gave him a nice camera and we made our own versions of "The Ghoul"...a host (Ron Swede) of scary movies on Saturday nights on WKBD Channel 50, Detroit. We put a lot of effort into making the sets and imitating The Ghoul. Would love to see those movies again one day...if they are still in existence. Matt, if you're out there, please post a note on this website. Thanks.

sodascouts
08-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Welcome, peepers! I love to hear stories like this, but Matt has never contacted me and I have no reason to believe he reads the website. If you still would like to share some memories, though, feel free!

DJ
08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Yes, Peepers59 share your wonderful stories!

peepers59
08-23-2014, 11:02 AM
So you want to hear some stories about Matt Frey, eh? Well...we had some great times. Matt and I were guitar players, my brother Scott was our drummer and Jim MacPhee was our bass player. Jim & Scott were experienced players and were the backbone. Matt and I were learning how to play guitar. Glenn had given Matt a beautiful guitar and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. We started playing up in his bedroom at the corner of Maplewood and Catalpa. It wasn't easy, but we muddled our way through "Sister Golden Hair" by America, "Turn to Stone" and "Walk Away" by Joe Walsh. Glenn taught "Big M" how to play "Take it Easy" but we struggled to play anything all the way through. Patience was not a strong suit for Matt and that led to some hostilities. But we held on to the dream of making it big and stuck to our guns. Keep in mind that my brother Scott was closest to Matt. I was older and more square. Matt was intimidated by me to some degree, I think. Matt didn't practice as much as us but he wanted the same results when we jammed. I wasn't afraid to call him out on that and we butted heads often. It's too bad. Matt slowly became "Glenn Frey's brother" and it was almost impossible to speak to him without some form of vitriol spewing from his mouth. He protected his brother from us when he visited by insisting we not speak or interact with him at all. No cameras, no questions! I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh. He rented a piano and had it delivered to Nel & Ed's house. We were invited over to hear him play a new song he had just written that was sure to be a hit. So there Glenn sat down and played "Take it to the Limit" for us and we were all speechless when he finished. Nel had tears in her eyes. My brother and I looked at each other and realized Glenn was very right. That song was going to be a hit!

Victim of Love
08-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Welcome Peepers. Great stories and we all look forward to hearing more from you. Have you looked at the picture I found/posted and can you verify that it's THE Matt Frey? Also have you checked out the Harmony River Band site? Curious minds want to know!

GlennLover
08-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks so much for the stories, Peeper! As VoL said, we would love to hear more.

The Harmony River Band Facebook page claims that the Matt Frey in the band is Glenn's brother. Good luck with your search.

GlennLover
08-23-2014, 12:17 PM
I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh.

Does this look familiar?

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn/Frey_BS00568949_450.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
08-23-2014, 04:07 PM
First of all – thanks for sharing your stories, peepers. It is very interesting and what a privilege for you all to have gotten a preview of Take It To the Limit way back in 1975. You all may have figured that the song would be a hit, but I bet you didn’t have a clue that you were privy to a song that would become rock and roll legend.

As I read your story, I kind of felt very sorry for Matt. It must be both a blessing and a curse to be the sibling of a very famous person. I would love to hear what others thoughts are about this, but it seems to me that maintaining your own identity must be very difficult, especially for a younger sibling. Going through life always as ‘<insert famous person’s name> brother’ would have to be tough and conflicting. The comparisons are inevitable and it’s no wonder that the sibling might develop an inferiority complex. However, at the same time, they must feel very proud and protective of the famous sibling’s accomplishments. I’m not sure that it’s a very enviable position.

zeldabjr
08-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Hi Peeper and welcome!! I got the goosebumps hearing your story about hearing Take It To The Limit!!!

Glennsallnighter
08-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Welcome a Peeper! I love your stories. I'm sure Glenn:heart:'s parents were sooo proud of him

Glennhoney
08-24-2014, 02:18 PM
So you want to hear some stories about Matt Frey, eh? Well...we had some great times. Matt and I were guitar players, my brother Scott was our drummer and Jim MacPhee was our bass player. Jim & Scott were experienced players and were the backbone. Matt and I were learning how to play guitar. Glenn had given Matt a beautiful guitar and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. We started playing up in his bedroom at the corner of Maplewood and Catalpa. It wasn't easy, but we muddled our way through "Sister Golden Hair" by America, "Turn to Stone" and "Walk Away" by Joe Walsh. Glenn taught "Big M" how to play "Take it Easy" but we struggled to play anything all the way through. Patience was not a strong suit for Matt and that led to some hostilities. But we held on to the dream of making it big and stuck to our guns. Keep in mind that my brother Scott was closest to Matt. I was older and more square. Matt was intimidated by me to some degree, I think. Matt didn't practice as much as us but he wanted the same results when we jammed. I wasn't afraid to call him out on that and we butted heads often. It's too bad. Matt slowly became "Glenn Frey's brother" and it was almost impossible to speak to him without some form of vitriol spewing from his mouth. He protected his brother from us when he visited by insisting we not speak or interact with him at all. No cameras, no questions! I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh. He rented a piano and had it delivered to Nel & Ed's house. We were invited over to hear him play a new song he had just written that was sure to be a hit. So there Glenn sat down and played "Take it to the Limit" for us and we were all speechless when he finished. Nel had tears in her eyes. My brother and I looked at each other and realized Glenn was very right. That song was going to be a hit!

LOVE THIS STORY....MORE PLEASE..8)

08-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Got another question for you peeper. This picture was posted here on the board a while ago. Just wondering if you can identify any of these folks. Are these Glenn's brothers Alan and Matt in the front row?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GFreyBaileyGroup_zpsfd55df21.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kay8342/media/GFreyBaileyGroup_zpsfd55df21.jpg.html)

GlennLover
08-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Here are a few pictures of Matt Frey of the Harmony River Band from one of their Facebook pages. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harmony-River-Band/423448954387542?fref=ts

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%20Family/532144_424572614275176_248324387_n1_zpsc5f564f0.jp g

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%20Family/299754_469405536458550_1268826674_n1_zpsa566fc53.j pg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%20Family/c1586bc6-04b1-4849-aa5a-c13bffcd146d_zps31bfa2fc.jpg

peepers59
08-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Welcome Peepers. Great stories and we all look forward to hearing more from you. Have you looked at the picture I found/posted and can you verify that it's THE Matt Frey? Also have you checked out the Harmony River Band site? Curious minds want to know!

Yes. I have checked out the Harmony River Band and that is Matt Frey, Glenn's bother. He hasn't changed much but he sure got tall. Thank you so much for helping me find our old buddy. I have pictures of Matt as a kid. I'll try to post some. Thanks again for your direction and thoughtful comments!

GlennLover
08-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Thanks, Peepers. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Brooke
08-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the Border, peepers! Love your story too, and would love to hear more!

I can definitely see Matt's resemblance to Glenn in the pictures here!

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Does this look familiar?

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn/Frey_BS00568949_450.jpg
OMG! That's the shirt! Although it';s a black & while picture, I remember it in blue. Keep in mind that he was at home in Royal Oak wearing that shirt, and the next thing we knew, he was on stage at Pine Knob wearing the same thing he had on at home! In an age where glam rock was the norm, it was mind-blowing to see Glenn in a jersey and jeans on stage.

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Peepers. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
posted some pics of Matt Frey from about 40 years ago. Enjoy!

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Yes. You nailed it! That's Matt and I posted some pictures from about 40 years ago. I hope you're able to check them out. Thanks so much for your input! Greatly appreciated!

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:17 PM
First of all – thanks for sharing your stories, peepers. It is very interesting and what a privilege for you all to have gotten a preview of Take It To the Limit way back in 1975. You all may have figured that the song would be a hit, but I bet you didn’t have a clue that you were privy to a song that would become rock and roll legend.

As I read your story, I kind of felt very sorry for Matt. It must be both a blessing and a curse to be the sibling of a very famous person. I would love to hear what others thoughts are about this, but it seems to me that maintaining your own identity must be very difficult, especially for a younger sibling. Going through life always as ‘<insert famous person’s name> brother’ would have to be tough and conflicting. The comparisons are inevitable and it’s no wonder that the sibling might develop an inferiority complex. However, at the same time, they must feel very proud and protective of the famous sibling’s accomplishments. I’m not sure that it’s a very enviable position.

Thanks very much for your comments. Yeah. As kids, we saw it all unfold and had no idea the impact it would have on the music industry or anything. We were just excited to be there. Good insight on Matt, too. He was a darn good kid and meant well, but he definitely was in an unenviable situation. He wasn't very easy on his friends and we had our spats, but we knew he was going through some tough times emotionally. It was my brother Scott who took most of Matt's abuse, I think. That's what happens when you're that close to each other, I guess.

I posted pics from about 40 years ago. I hope you're able to see them. I'm not real familiar with these blog sites and posting things. Thanks again for your excellent comments and insight!

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Hi Peeper and welcome!! I got the goosebumps hearing your story about hearing Take It To The Limit!!!

Thanks very much for reading my story. It feels good to express it. It's strange, but a lot people who are acquainted with me, are often under the impression that I know Glenn Frey. I do not know Glenn Frey...at all. I grew up with his family. I only saw Glenn a half dozen times or so at the Frey's house. We were also carted to his concerts by his mom and dad. It was an exciting time for us but I never got to know Glenn, at all. The closest I got was when we all sat on the couch in the back den and watched a Red Wings game with him as he smoked cigarettes while stretched across the floor in front of us.

The nicest member of the Eagles, to me, was Randy Meisner. Glenn had given us a super 8 movie camera with a sound stripe! It had a bulb on the front to illuminate the subject matter being filmed. The bulb got so hot that you could hold a piece of paper in front of it and it would light on fire. We had to be careful not to get too close to it. Scott, Matt and I were in the basement filming "Ghoul" movies while the band was visiting. This was probably early 1976. Randy was at the top of the stairs and asked what we were doing. We told him and he came down and checked out our set, our props, and got a real kick out of the whole scene. He was a soft spoken individual that always had nice things to say. He was encouraging to me, Scott and Matt and took sincere interest in our efforts. Thank you Randy (if you ever read these blogs) for taking interest in us kids. I can't speak for Matt, but it meant a lot to me and Scotty!

peepers59
08-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Got another question for you peeper. This picture was posted here on the board a while ago. Just wondering if you can identify any of these folks. Are these Glenn's brothers Alan and Matt in the front row?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GFreyBaileyGroup_zpsfd55df21.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kay8342/media/GFreyBaileyGroup_zpsfd55df21.jpg.html)

Hi, again. I shared this photo with my brother Scott. He say that Matt is on the right in front. He didn't think it was Ed and Nel in the pic. Was doubting if that was Al wearing the "On the Border" tee shirt, but said it "could" be Al. No idea who the girls are. Scott and I agree, that's not Nel and Ed. I remember Ed as being a thinner man and Nel wore glasses I thought. We both noticed the wide Glenn-like nose on the older fellow and thought the same thing...it might be Glenn's real dad. I honestly don't know though.

NYC Fan
08-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Peepers-

Thanks for sharing your pictures and stories! Love the one about Randy, and how nice he was. And wow, you really brought me back to my childhood in Michigan, talking about the Ghoul. We used to watch him on Channel 50. He was nuts. :-)

Thanks for sharing! What great memories for you.

sodascouts
08-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Love reading these! I can't imagine what it would have been like to hear "Take It to the Limit" before everyone else. I can see your photos... you're doing it right! Thanks for the stories!

Houston Baby
08-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Thank you for sharing your stories & photos Peepers! What special memories!

peepers59
08-28-2014, 10:38 AM
Thank you for sharing your stories & photos Peepers! What special memories!

Always happy to share a good story. My brother Scott reminded me of the time when Glenn came home after touring back in 1974, I think. He had hired his brother Al to be a roadie for the band. Al had arrived home earlier in the week. I think it was a late afternoon on a Friday when Glenn arrived home. Scott and I were made aware of his pending arrival and went to Ed & Nel's to greet him. He wasn't very happy looking when he got out of the car. He hugged his mom and dad, then went right into the house. A few minutes later, Nel was asking us to go home...she had to call the police as Glenn and Al were fist fighting upstairs. It turned out that Al had developed a cocaine habit while being a roadie for Glenn, according to Matt. Al also had a bug up his butt about something Glenn had said or done to him while on the road. So Al took a number of Glenn's guitars and equipment and pawned them at a pawn shop or two in Royal Oak. And Glenn was pissed! I don't remember if Glen got his equipment back (I think he did) but it was a tough day for Nel. The cops were called and showed up to warn them not to do it again. We waited around the corner to watch and wait. We didn't go back over there that night. Matt told us that his mom was pretty upset and they all needed to settle down and have dinner. Sure freaked us out as kids. I guess this wasn't a great story, but an interesting one none the less.

Glennhoney
08-28-2014, 06:15 PM
..hahaha..well let's hope they made up...:rofl:

UndertheWire
08-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Interesting story. It shows that having a "rock star" in the family has its downsides. As I have sons around that age, I was identifying with the mother who let her 18 year-old son go off on tour with his older brother and had him come home with a drug habit and both sons fighting.

08-30-2014, 11:48 PM
..hahaha..well let's hope they made up...:rofl:

lol, GH. Apparently they did since Glenn gives a little tip of the hat to Alan in the liner notes of his Soul Searchin' album. :thumbsup:

peepers59
09-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Hi again. It's Pete from Royal Oak. Here's an amusing story. In the mid to late 70s, Matt apparently had some one on one time with Joe Walsh. He asked Joe how to build one of those voice boxes...like he used on Rocky Mountain Way. Apparently Joe built his first one on his own, and knew exactly what was needed to make one. Matt came to us all excited...said that Joe told him "The first thing you need to do is "steal a car horn" and break out the reeds inside, so it doesn't make any sound, just blows air. Then, you need to get a big cigar box and smoke all the stogies in it. Take the car horn and attach it to the side of the box so the air blows into the box. Attach a tweeter to the other side so it pumps your guitar sound into the box. Run an aquarium tube out of the top of the box and into your mouth. You can kink the tube with a lighter".

We found out that it wasn't as simple as that, though. The box hummed loudly from the whirring motor in the car horn and drowned out the guitar sound badly. Matt worked on that box for a long time but I don't remember it ever working. By this time, Glenn had purchased a home for Nel and Ed on Bald Mountain. The Hi Hill Villa neighborhood was just east off Lapeer Rd and north of Silverbell Rd in Lake Orion. Scott and I helped Matt steal colored spot lights from the businesses up and down Lapeer Rd around Christmas time. Instead of white lights, they shined red and green lights on their buildings at night. These were perfect for our impressive light rack.

Glenn continued to bolster Big M and bought him MotoCross Motorcycles (2 Suzuki 175s, I think) and the full MotoCross outfit complete with bee helmet. With all the zippers on the jacket and buckles up and down the boots, Matt actually looked like a bad ass. I never went riding with him, but my brother did. But that's another story...for another time.

09-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks again for another entertaining story, peepers - love the part about building the talk box.

I never realized that Glenn bought his parents a home in the Detroit area before they moved to Florida. Do you happen to remember what year they left Detroit?

sodascouts
09-07-2014, 12:11 AM
I wonder if Joe was pulling Matt's leg?

cynd1231
09-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Pete, your stories are amazing and so entertaining. The Walsh story definitely sounds like he was feeding them a line for the sole purpose of self-entertainment (since we all know his reputation I wouldn't put past him, especially in that timeframe!). And your photos are really great. Keep the stories and pictures coming, please.

You brought back some. memories for me. My first husband and I lived in the Pontiac/Rochester area back in the early 70's (my son was born at Crittendon in '72) and we spent many nights enjoying shows at Pine Knob. It was THE place to go for great concerts during the warm weather (Chicago, Beach Boys, Journey) and we also went to Meadowbrook a lot!. We watched the Silverdome being built & went to tons of games there, shopped at the Oakland Mall and went to the Farmer's Market in Detroit. Back then the Lake Orion area was just beginning to really develop and the Hi Hill Villa area was very sought-after real estate!

When we were a bit younger, growing up in north-central Ohio, we used to go to the clubs in Cleveland to see The James Gang. Joe Walsh has always been a favorite of mine and having seen him many times in the small settings, it was a huge thrill years later to see him again in the big arenas. He toured in the early 80's (solo) as an opening act with Foreigner and we saw him at the old Centrum (don't know what they call it now) in Wooster, Mass -- he was stoned, drunk and totally awesome, LOL! And he was building his reputation as a rebel with cause -- to demolish as many hotel rooms as possible! Amazing what age, years of experience and eventual maturity can do for a person.

But I wander off topic...apologies! Bring on some more memories of the Frey clan!

peepers59
09-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Thanks again for another entertaining story, peepers - love the part about building the talk box.

I never realized that Glenn bought his parents a home in the Detroit area before they moved to Florida. Do you happen to remember what year they left Detroit?

I'm afraid I was out of touch with them when they moved from Hi Hill Villa in Lake Orion. Frankly, I didn't even know they moved to Florida....I thought it might be California. I do know that they lived on Wyandotte Street in Royal Oak until about 1971. That's when they moved to the corner of Maplegrove and Catalpa. I think they moved to Hi Hill Villa in about 1977.

peepers59
09-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Pete, your stories are amazing and so entertaining. The Walsh story definitely sounds like he was feeding them a line for the sole purpose of self-entertainment (since we all know his reputation I wouldn't put past him, especially in that timeframe!). And your photos are really great. Keep the stories and pictures coming, please.

You brought back some. memories for me. My first husband and I lived in the Pontiac/Rochester area back in the early 70's (my son was born at Crittendon in '72) and we spent many nights enjoying shows at Pine Knob. It was THE place to go for great concerts during the warm weather (Chicago, Beach Boys, Journey) and we also went to Meadowbrook a lot!. We watched the Silverdome being built & went to tons of games there, shopped at the Oakland Mall and went to the Farmer's Market in Detroit. Back then the Lake Orion area was just beginning to really develop and the Hi Hill Villa area was very sought-after real estate!

When we were a bit younger, growing up in north-central Ohio, we used to go to the clubs in Cleveland to see The James Gang. Joe Walsh has always been a favorite of mine and having seen him many times in the small settings, it was a huge thrill years later to see him again in the big arenas. He toured in the early 80's (solo) as an opening act with Foreigner and we saw him at the old Centrum (don't know what they call it now) in Wooster, Mass -- he was stoned, drunk and totally awesome, LOL! And he was building his reputation as a rebel with cause -- to demolish as many hotel rooms as possible! Amazing what age, years of experience and eventual maturity can do for a person.

But I wander off topic...apologies! Bring on some more memories of the Frey clan!

Thanks for your excellent story about Joe Walsh. I never saw him outside of the Eagles shows. I was made aware that the "new" Joe Walsh is all cleaned up and polished. They played at the Van Andel Arena on Sept 8th here in Grand Rapids (Monday night). I have a friend that works as a runner for the bands that appear there. He was very turned off by the "Eagles" rules of non-engagement. He was told not to look any one of them in the eyes. Not to stand around, talk to them or be in their way at all. According to him, they acted like Gods and were less than polite. I've heard this about Glenn in the past, too. He's acutely aware of his image and protects his privacy intensely. My buddy Jim, our old bass player thinks Glenn is an outright asshole, but I tend to cut Glenn some slack. This is a man who was focused, ambitious and didn't let anyone get in his way of success. And success in this industry is usually modest and short-lived. So I figure whatever got him here is working. I just think his hard-nosed personality has little patience for any bullshit. That includes his younger half-brothers, Al and Matt. Family or not, he's probably the same with them.

MaryCalifornia
09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Peepers, for all of your posts!

I don't have a problem with their non-engagement rules. No star should have to interact with every worker in the arena or stadium who happens to have access to where the star will be walking, working, resting. It's too much. The guys HAVE to meet with and speak to the venue senior management, personal guests, VIPs, etc... every night. They should be able to go about their business without employees trying to talk to them, shake their hand, smile at them or take their pictures.

If one of the guys is required to speak directly to a venue employee to request something (as opposed to an assistant or other Eagles staffer making the request), of course he should be polite and should say thank you, and I would be surprised to hear that any of them would act otherwise. But just the fact that there exists a written policy of rules for employees interacting with the stars, I can't believe that every big star doesn't have the same policy. Your friend would know as a runner what the rules are for each act that comes in, but I would think the rules would be similar for acts of similar stature and longevity.

In that setting, the guys ARE the Gods. There is no democracy, nobody has a right to a piece of them. Madonna instituted a "no eye contact" rule 25 years ago.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-10-2014, 07:39 PM
I mostly agree with you, MC, but then I usually do! I can't even imagine how many people work in the arena, in the various parts that the guys go to, and how many would then ask for an autograph, a handshake, a life story, or whatever. I feel that for the most part, our guys are actually nice guys, and they don't want to tell anyone no. As you said, they can't possibly take time out for all of them, it's too much. They don't want to say 'no', so they make it so that it's clear up front and they don't have to be the ones that say 'no'.

Especially in this day and age where any conversation with someone who works in the arena can be edited, shortened, or otherwise doctored and posted on social media, I can understand why they do what they do. Or don't do, as the case may be.

peepers59
09-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Peepers, for all of your posts!

I don't have a problem with their non-engagement rules. No star should have to interact with every worker in the arena or stadium who happens to have access to where the star will be walking, working, resting. It's too much. The guys HAVE to meet with and speak to the venue senior management, personal guests, VIPs, etc... every night. They should be able to go about their business without employees trying to talk to them, shake their hand, smile at them or take their pictures.

If one of the guys is required to speak directly to a venue employee to request something (as opposed to an assistant or other Eagles staffer making the request), of course he should be polite and should say thank you, and I would be surprised to hear that any of them would act otherwise. But just the fact that there exists a written policy of rules for employees interacting with the stars, I can't believe that every big star doesn't have the same policy. Your friend would know as a runner what the rules are for each act that comes in, but I would think the rules would be similar for acts of similar stature and longevity.

In that setting, the guys ARE the Gods. There is no democracy, nobody has a right to a piece of them. Madonna instituted a "no eye contact" rule 25 years ago.

Hi Mary California...Yes, I think you are right. And again, I tend to cut Glenn a lot of slack. The music industry is a very difficult one. Being such a success in that industry brings on a whole new array of challenges. The rules of "non-engagement" are understandable and reasonable in my opinion, too. My buddy (the runner) just felt that they were not very happy or nice. His impression was that they were there to "get it over with"...which might have been the case. Who knows? They're not youngsters anymore and touring is exhausting. I'm hard-pressed to think any member of the Eagles is hurting for money so this tour might be simply for the benefit of their fans. Also, Glenn's mom (Nel) died a year ago almost to the day when they were in Grand Rapids. They were here on the 8th and she died on Sept 9th last year. That might have brought a slight pall to the event. Glenn was very close to Nel.

MaryCalifornia
09-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Agree with all of this, Peepers. Also, from reviews, it seems that Glenn has had a cold for many of the shows, which I'm sure comes from the air travel, late nights, etc...on a 66-year-old body. I would not be surprised to hear that they basically want to get in to the venue, do their show, and get out.

Glennhoney
09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Mary California...Yes, I think you are right. And again, I tend to cut Glenn a lot of slack. The music industry is a very difficult one. Being such a success in that industry brings on a whole new array of challenges. The rules of "non-engagement" are understandable and reasonable in my opinion, too. My buddy (the runner) just felt that they were not very happy or nice. His impression was that they were there to "get it over with"...which might have been the case. Who knows? They're not youngsters anymore and touring is exhausting. I'm hard-pressed to think any member of the Eagles is hurting for money so this tour might be simply for the benefit of their fans. Also, Glenn's mom (Nel) died a year ago almost to the day when they were in Grand Rapids. They were here on the 8th and she died on Sept 9th last year. That might have brought a slight pall to the event. Glenn was very close to Nel.

..so true...

The First Stepdaughter
02-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Hi, again. I shared this photo with my brother Scott. He say that Matt is on the right in front. He didn't think it was Ed and Nel in the pic. Was doubting if that was Al wearing the "On the Border" tee shirt, but said it "could" be Al. No idea who the girls are. Scott and I agree, that's not Nel and Ed. I remember Ed as being a thinner man and Nel wore glasses I thought. We both noticed the wide Glenn-like nose on the older fellow and thought the same thing...it might be Glenn's real dad. I honestly don't know though.

As Matt's stepdaughter, I just wanted to clear up the confusion regarding this picture. This picture is not of Matt or Al, or anyone that Matt even recognizes. These people are not cousins or friends that he knows at all. It seems to be a random picture with Glenn. 😉

Glennhoney
02-21-2016, 07:37 PM
..thanks for clarifying...

sodascouts
02-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Yes, thank you! We definitely want to get it right. If you ever want to share accurate photos or anything else, feel free!

Glennhoney
02-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Yes, thank you! We definitely want to get it right. If you ever want to share accurate photos or anything else, feel free!

..yes that would be awesome..