StephUK
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Photo's of the show here:-

http://www.wnoe.com/cc-common/gallery/display.html?album_id=160920

DonFan
01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Eagles Soared in New Orleans
The Times-Picayune, 1-25-09

They wore matching black undertaker suits and ties, barely broke a sweat and jokingly welcomed fans to the "Eagles Assisted Living Tour" Friday night at a full New Orleans Arena. But make no mistake: the Eagles are alive and well as both a commercial and creative enterprise.
With their "Hell Freezes Over" reunion tour in 1994, they helped usher in the era of the triple-digit concert ticket. Friday's concert grossed in excess of $1 million in ticket sales.
In return they delivered exactly what fans expected: Sparkling, letter-perfect readings of one of the most beloved and enduring catalogs in American rock 'n roll, presented with the utmost professionalism.

Eagles 3.0 consists of a core four of Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmidt and Joe Walsh. Only Henley and Frey have endured since the Eagles' 1972 debut. Walsh and Schmidt came aboard in the mid-'70s, as did guitarist Don Felder, who was dismissed following the '94 tour.
At least two books have rifled through the band's considerable dirty laundry. In spite of the vast amount of substances consumed over the decades, the musicians have aged at least as well as their audience.
Their 2007 double-CD "Long Road Out of Eden" was the first full-length collection of new Eagles material since "The Long Run" in 1979. If nothing else, it allowed fans to revel in the band's sonic trademarks via songs not already coded into their DNA.
Indicative of their pride in the project, the Eagles opened Friday's show with four cuts from "Long Road out of Eden." Of these, "How Long," with its twangy guitars and airtight harmonies, harkened back to the band's California country-rock roots. A potent "Hotel California" followed by the pastoral yet melancholy "Peaceful Easy Feeling" announced that the classic catalog would also receive its due.
Frey, Henley, Schmidt and Walsh took turns singing lead. Henley also swapped off on drums, percussion and guitar, Frey on various guitars and keyboards. Frey, a veteran of the small and large screens, functioned as the genial master of ceremonies. He dedicated "Lyin' Eyes" to "my first wife, Plaintiff," and noted that his current wife, Cindy, calls "Take It to the Limit" the "credit card song."
A 20 minute intermission - a chance for the musicians to stretch and the venue to sell concessions - followed the first hour and 15 minute set. They reappeared on stools, armed with acoustic guitars, for a semi-unplugged set capped off with a glorious "Take It to the Limit."
Schmidt's high tenor navigated "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive," a solid ballad from the "Hell Freezes Over" project. He recalled long-ago gigs at fabled New Orleans concert venue the Warehouse.
Walsh remains perhaps the most beloved Eagle and the band's resident, if toned down and sober, clown. He dutifully donned the black suit stage uniform - gone is the brick-patterned ensemble he wore on the first reunion tour -- and mostly occupied himself with carving out his trademark slide guitar solos and muscular riffing. His only nod to his antics of old was the "Walsh-cam" deployed during "Life's Been Good" to broadcast footage from a small camera atop his cap.
In a clever bit of sequencing, that tongue-in-cheek ode to the rock star life preceded Henley's solo hit "Dirty Laundry," an eviscerating of the tabloid press. Faux magazine covers flashed on the giant video screen backdrop announced "Timothy B. Schmidt to star in Harry Potter 8" and "Don Henley Solves Global Warming," a sign that the somber, earnest Henley does, perhaps, have a sense of humor.
The principals surrounded themselves with four horns, three keyboardists, a percussionist and guitarist Steuart Smith. Smith faithfully replicated many of Felder's licks, including the chiming "Hotel California" opening and the song's potent dual-guitar outro with Walsh. The horns, largely inaudible during "Hotel California," swung mightily in "Heartache Tonight," standing toe-to-toe with Walsh's slide.
Minor quibbles? The jarring transition from "Lyin' Eyes" to "Boys of Summer." The topical "Long Road Out of Eden" title track, sung by Henley, was strident, and "Somebody," sung by Frey, was uninteresting. "Walk Away," a holdover from Walsh's days with the James Gang, did not benefit from a faster tempo. An overabundance of synthesizers distracted from "I Can't Tell You Why."
But mostly, they were spectacular. In the encore, as many as seven voices harmonized on "Take It Easy." For the final "Desperado," it all boiled down to one voice, Henley's. He held the final "you" in "you better let somebody love you" for what seemed like an eternity, as the arena fell to pieces. His voice can still soar. So, too, the Eagles.

eaglesvet
01-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Two questions: What does 'Eagles 3.0' stand for? I have an inkling, but I'm not sure. Also, was anyone 'jarred' by the transition from LE to BOS at the time they heard it? I wasn't. Thinking about it now, I suppose there could have been two more-related songs musically to play consecutively, but I can honestly say the thought never entered my mind in any of the 3 shows I saw over the last 8 months! And a comment: I think we might say that the guys have aged a lot better than many of the audience members---I didn't see too many HSG fans near me (not that I was looking at the fans, mind you!)

Freypower
01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Eagles 1.0 was before the split. Eagles 2.0 is the reunion years. I assume Eagles 3.0 is the current incarnation minus Felder. It's internet jargon.

Not a bad review, although LROOE 'strident' and Somebody 'uninteresting'? Not on record. I am glad TITTL was 'glorious'.

Marla
01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi folks! It's been a while since I was here. What a year! Anyway, I was at the New Orleans show & there was no jarring transition between ANY of the songs, 'Somebody' rocked the place (everyone around me was up dancing) & 'Walk Away' & 'Funk 49' had everyone up singing & dancing as well. I don't know where the music critic sat, but everyone on the Joe & Steuart side of section B rows 1 through 9 were having a ball the whole night!

OK, yes there were some people behind me talking through the acoustic set, but LROE was listened to quietly & intently & I heard no comments at all, just applause. My 2 friends who'd never seen them live were blown away. They had a great time, could not believe that the Eagles were so good live, that the music was as good or better than the songs they heard 30 years ago.

I thought this was one of the best concerts I had seen. It may have been because it was the closest I'd ever been to the stage, but the guys were relaxed, smiling, laughing a lot. Their voices were fabulous & they looked, well, they looked MAH-velous!! Scotty, Will , & Mike Thompson were smiling a lot too.

As for the 'undertaker' suits...well I've never seen any undertakers who looked THAT good. The suits are growing on me. I thought the Eagles looked wonderful in them. The white shirts really set their faces aglow!
No, I wasn't drinking!

Timothy's voice sounded so good! When I saw them in Houston (baby) December 1, Tim's voice was really hoarse & strained. He was 99% in New Orleans! My voice was gone when the night was over. I heard thousands of people singing along with the band, too. It was a love fest!

The New Orleans crowd loved the Eagles! Before the encore, the place was lit like a Christmas tree with cellphones. I think the arena was nearly full. I hope Stars got tickets.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews here & it's great to 'see' you again.:-D

I think the Eagles have aged way better than their audience. On the wnoe radio website ther are also photos of the fans taken before the concert. See for yourselves. My husband Dave & I are in photo#99 of the 277 fan photos if you've got time on your hands.:grin:

sodascouts
01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Great to hear from you, Marla! I'm glad you had such a good time. And hey, you don't have to be intoxicated to appreciate the awesomeness that is the Eagles live! ;)

Marla
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Great to hear from you, Marla! I'm glad you had such a good time. And hey, you don't have to be intoxicated to appreciate the awesomeness that is the Eagles live! ;)

I know, but I do tend to get really high on the Eagles at those moments!:blueblob::grooving: Those who don't know me might wonder. Thanks for understanding.:thumbsup:

Great talking to you again, Soda.

DonFan
01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey Marla! Great to hear from you again!

Wonderful review! It really is great seeing and hearing an entire stadium of over 15,000 fans rocking out to their songs, isn't it? I saw our guys the night after you did, in Birmingham, and you are so right--they looked and sounded mah-velous! My review is under the Birmingham thread if you want to read it. I did the same thing you did, I screamed until I blew my voice out and I was hoarse for two days. It was SO worth it! They are the best!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey Marla, and welcome back. It's great to hear from you, and thanks so much for sharing your review. Even though I am not a huge fan of the suits, I have to agree that the guys look great no matter what they wear! :wink: :nod:

Brooke
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Great to hear from you again Marla! Thanks for a great review! :thumbsup:

And I agree about never seeing any undertakers that looked as good as our guys in suits! It just ain't gonna happen!

Don't be a stranger! Come again soon!

DonFan
02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
A little blurb from someone's blog about attending the N.O. Eagles concert:

~"Man, he can sing!", says man who must have crawled out from under a rock to come to the Eagles Concert.~ (http://www.smalltownlouisianagirl.com/2009/01/man-he-can-sing-says-man-who-must-have.html)

That was what I heard from the man sitting behind me at the concert while Don Henley is on stage belting out the ballad "Desperado". "Man, he can sing!" He said it in a surprisingly "prove to me you are worth the price of this ticket" kind of way. I so wanted to turn around and say

"DUH!!, do you know who they are???"