PDA

View Full Version : North Charleston, SC 1-16-09

Ive always been a dreamer
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Sorry to just be posting this. I got this email a couple of days ago. It was a preview of the North Charleston show. The writer gets a few of his facts incorrect, but what's new! Here is the link to the article:

http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/15/eagles_have_always_done_things_little_di68355/

Eagles have always done things a little differently

By KEITH RYAN CARTWRIGHT
Special to The Post and Courier

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Normal is a relative term. Joe Walsh has long been described as being the "abnormal" guitarist from the Eagles, largely based on his mock campaign during the 1980 Presidential election.
For all his eccentric behavior, the 61-year-old Wichita, Kansas, native has a unique and yet understandable perspective, to say the least, when it comes to explaining the longevity and popularity of the Eagles.
"We turned a generation," said Walsh, who points to grandparents, parents and kids alike who have all come to discover the band's music. "That's the result to longevity: when you can turn a generation."
There are many reasons the Eagles have been, in the eyes of many, anything but normal since its inception 39 years ago.
In spite of releasing six No. 1 albums from 1970 to 1980, the band fulfilled its contractual obligation with Warner Bros. by releasing "Eagles Live" in which the liner notes simply read, "Thank you and goodnight."
Band members Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Don Felder, Timothy B. Schmit, Randy Meisner and Walsh then released solo efforts of varying success, most of which were critically acclaimed. Fourteen years passed before a tribute album, "Common Thread," made possible the band's reunion.
Then, in 1998, the core members finally reunited and proclaimed "Hell Freezes Over." That year, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
It wasn't until 2007 that core members Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit released "Long Road out of Eden," their first full-length studio album since 1979. The Eagles have been touring since.
"We take great pride in doing what you hear on the record," said Walsh, who noted the live show consists of "finely crafted parts" that make up what he calls a "reformed piece of music."
Henley has since told CNN that this probably is the last album the Eagles will record.
That isn't how a band normally would promote its latest album. This, however, is how the Eagles have long since done things. In fact, much of the album's success was because of the lead single "How Long," for which they earned a Grammy Award for "Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal."
The single was penned by longtime collaborator J.D. Souther and originally performed live by the band throughout much of the '70s, but was never recorded until now.
"We like it and we all signed off on it," said Walsh, of their latest effort. "I don't know if it's any good. When we all nod yes, that's the chemistry, but it's (13) years later so it's a different world than we're used to, with the Internet, so we'll see."
It's just another normal adventure in, what to this point, has already been a long and storied history.
Keith Ryan Cartwright is a Colorado-based freelance journalist.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank you for the post. I always enjoy reading about the Eagles, especially the local press in different venues around the world. That includes when the facts are a little off.

From what I saw at the concerts I attended the Eagles haven't crossed one generation, they've crossed at least two.