PDA

View Full Version : My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

Freypower
09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
The topic title is a genuine quote from Glenn.

On Eagleland there were a couple of posts about songs which have grown on you. I thought this could become a full topic over here. While I already mentioned a couple which took a while to grow on me, I left out Delcious, a song which at first I positively disliked. In fact, for various reasons, the entire Strange Weather album 'grew' on me. I would love to hear if the rest of you have any songs of this type, or did you love them all passionately straight away? If you like you could also mention songs you don't like so much anymore. Mine in this category is probably THIO. I've heard it too often. Possibly TOYL. Anyway..

eaglesfans
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
This is a great discussion topic. I just wonder why it can't be discussed on Eagleland.

</p>

sodascouts
09-07-2006, 11:01 PM
On Eagleland there were a couple of posts about songs which have grown on you. I thought this could become a full topic over here. While I already mentioned a couple which took a while to grow on me, I left out Delcious, a song which at first I positively disliked. In fact, for various reasons, the entire Strange Weather album 'grew' on me. I would love to hear if the rest of you have any songs of this type, or did you love them all passionately straight away? If you like you could also mention songs you don't like so much anymore. Mine in this category is probably THIO. I've heard it too often. Possibly TOYL. Anyway..

I'm afraid I still don't like Delicious, but other songs on SW grew on me - like A Walk in the Dark, which at first bored me a bit melodically - then I realized how hot the lyrics were. I also wasn't immediately taken by Love in the 21st Century - that whole phone sex thing kind of threw me at first - but every time I listened to it I liked it more. It just rocked. I still am not a HUGE fan of Big Life, but I don't skip it anymore. Indeed songs that grew on me include: Livin' Right, Workin' Man, Sexy Girl, The Allnighter, Living in Darkness, Partytown, and Sea Cruise.

Songs that I don't like as much anymore? hmmmm. Actually I can't think of any!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

glenneaglesfan
09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Several songs on 'The Allnighter' took a little while with me - Lover's Moon and Let's Go Home, both of which I now love. I think I tend to like the rockier ones more quickly than the ballads - Some Kind of Blue is another that has grown into a favourite. I like the whole of 'Strange Weather', but didn't know what to make of Big Life to start with, but the more I listen, the more I get the humour - it's just a big contrast with the rest of the album. I think Delicious is fun, with a great syncopated beat, and I'm not averse to the falsetto. A Walk In The Dark is just, well, a <sigh> moment for me.

I don't think I have listened to any of his tracks long enough to like them less - usually with me I appreciate music even more with familiarity - the 'hair standing on end' feeling when you hear the opening chords. I get that with some of Joe's music, too. I agree THIO is played a lot, but it is the <span style="text-decoration:underline">only</span> Glenn solo track played over here on the radio, so I very much enjoy hearing it.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Perfect Little Sister
09-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Many of the falsetto songs had to grow on me. I just feel that Glenn's voice is so beautiful and when he goes falsetto it just doesn't do it justice. The only song I can think of that I didn't like at all the first time I heard it was Sea Cruise. But agian, it grew on me. As far as A Walk In The Dark goes...it was an instant fav. How could y'all not love that song? lol The only thing that comes to mind that I dislike is the synth in Don't Give Up. Recently in the car Big Life was coming on and my son commented that the intro sounded like something re Saigon...don't remember exactly what he said...and he immediately said, "It's Big LIfe, but it sounds like another song" at which point I had to wipe a tear from my eye...I was so proud! :lol:

~~~~

You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends,
After the thrill is gone.

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I love the synth in "Don't Give Up"! I know it's dated but I don't care. It's a rockin' song with an effective sense of urgency that the synth adds to, IMHO.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Freypower
09-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I think sometimes a song will grow on you if you see it live, or hear a live version. Of course the only Glenn songs I have ever seen live are THIO, YBTTC and Smuggler's Blues. Yes. That's all. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/tired.gif

So when I heard the Royal Oak versions of She Can't Let Go and SKOB they lifted those two songs into new dimensions (and all you people who saw SKOB recently, keep your voices down) :D. The way he sings the line 'oh, she wants to be free' in the RO version of She Can't Let Go is a revelation.

I would also say that when I heard the Eagles do Lover's Moon it changed my perception of the song, because a) he sounded so vulnerable and nervous; b) it was so wonderful to hear Don sing with him.

Big Life was NOT a favourite of mine at first, but the song actually has a lot to say, and it's very well sung. Another song from SW which I think is still growing on me is Brave New World, a song which we don't talk about much. To me it sounds like he was writing about the Balkans war, although I know he based it on the Stephen King book The Stantd.

As far as songs I don't like so much, that applies to most of the Soul Searchin' album. I heard Can't Put Out This Fire first on the iPod yesterday. Great production.... but oh dear, its slight, and it isn't even redeemed by a great vocal, which normally saves his more lightweight songs.

So much for me thinking I had nothing further to say here.

tengo ritmo
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Brave New World comes to mind first for me. I didn't actually know I liked it that much until I found I had put it in one of my driving mixes without even thinking, haha.

Sexy Girl made me cringe at first, but now I've found the good in it, I suppose. I do love the beat. :)

I have to agree about The One You Love, I loved it at first, but now I'm not really that crazy about it. It's a lovely song, but it almost bores me now.

Interesting topic!

---

Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas ;)

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Brave New World is one of my faves off of Strange Weather - I love the way he sings "Remember you will always be my girl." Sigh. And the way he practically yells "BRAVE new world!"

Hearing a bootleg of Sea Cruise is what turned that around for me. Live recordings always make me appreciate songs I like even more as well.

This isn't from hearing it live, but seeing the video made me like Sexy Girl more.

~

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Something about the One You Love does it to me every time. I remember when I was a new Frey fan back last summer, that song got stuck into my head and I just couldn't get enough of it. Same for Seven Bridges Road, although obviously that's an Eagles song.

~

Freypower
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
The song that really has crept up on me is I Did It For Your Love, which has lasted much better than most of that album. It's actually a very moving song, and again, beautifully sung.

Molly
09-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Well, I guess I can share this moment with friends...

I know this isn't a solo song, but No More Cloudy Days is the song that really grew on me. When I first heard it, I literally cringed. I remember thinking, this is just way to "adult contemporary" sounding for me.

But I had a really emotional moment that involves this song, and I'll never hear it the same again. Last fall, I had a routine physical and not all of the test came back as I had expected. I was called back for a repeat test. Working in the medical field, I told convinced myself the technical aspect of the test was not done correctly, and this was just a precaution type of thing.

The second test also came back abnormal and I was told the doctor would like me to head over to the ultrasound department immediately for a more extensive view.

My ultrasound was done at the very end of the day, so I sat in the holding area in one of those stupid hospital gowns all alone (I had convinced Steve the test was "nothing" and he needn't bother to come with me) waiting for my turn.

Suddenly, I felt overwhelmed with fear and I started to cry. Right before I was called in, NMCD starting playing overhead on the speakers. I can't tell you the comfort I felt hearing that familiar voice singing those comforting words.

I'll never hear that song the same way again!

(oh, and obviously, the tests finally came back negative)

Freypower
09-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh, Sheryl, that's so sad yet so uplifting. I hope you know what I mean. I'm glad you're OK.

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Sheryl. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

I'm so glad everything turned out OK.

~

Molly
09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks, guys. Oh, you know, as you get older, you can't take these "routine" tests for granted. I learned a lesson that day! I'm not as young as I used to be!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-09-2006, 01:15 AM
That is a great story, S. And that really is what music is all about isn't it - to lift us up when we are down.

As far as the Glenn solo songs that have grown on me, my list is:

She Can't Let Go - At first, I found the music to be annoying. But I kept listening to it and I love the words to it, so I like it much better than I did at first.

Sexy Girl - Like Nancy, watching the video helped me like this song better than I did at first. I think the video is just cute and Mr. Frey is VERY hot in it.

I Got Love - I can't explain this one. At first, I thought it was okay, but nothing special. It actually probably still isn't anything special, but for some reason, it has become one of my favorites. I love the music and love the way he sings it - especially the line 'Get back on the highway, head on home to Number One' - man - I just love that!

I Did It For Your Love - Another one where listening closely to the words sold the song to me. The line that really grabs me on this one is 'I waited by the shore just for one glimpse of you, nothing more.' WOW!

Big Life - Like some of you, I wasn't that impressed at first, but it has become another one of my favorites. I think this is a really good song. It is intelligent, clever, humorous, good music, and very well sung. You can tell Glenn has some acting ability to pull off this song so well. I think it fits well on the album. It's a similar message as I've Got Mine, but with a totally different delivery.

Now, most of you already know that I am not a fan of the falsetto. However, Delicious is an exception. Because of the theme and lyrics, this song should be sung in falsetto, IMO. Plus when you consider that it is dedicated to baby Taylor - well now, isn't that the way a daddy should talk/sing to his little girl? Now Let's Go Home is different. The falsetto ruins this song for me. I think it could be a gorgeous sultry, song if sung in Glenn's normal voice. Just listen how sexy his voice is when he drops it and sings 'Let's Go Home.' I'm ready to go home with him until he starts the whining again. LOL

I really haven't gotten tired of any of his songs. Even the ones that get lots of play, I'm glad they do.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

EasyFeeling
09-09-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm glad you're ok Sheryl. That reminds me of my medical examination this week. Because of my back pain I had a doctor's appointment for a tomography and I was a bit afraid because the machine is pretty close and it wasn't allowed to move in it for 20 minutes. I thought I wouldn't be able to take this without getting claustrophobia. So I called the doctor's office and asked if it is allowed to listen to music and it was. So I took a Glenn CD with me and this cheered me up and helped me to come through.

I heard my favourite song ROD five times at least.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

BTW, no herniated disk thank goodness.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif

Z
09-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Glad that everyone came through their tests with flying colors. Many years ago, I wasn't as fortunate which lead to numerous follow up tests and procedures. I finally gave up the fight in '93 and had a hysterectomy. Everything has been good ever since (knock wood).

I don't think I could have managed the stress without music to transport me to somewhere peaceful and calming. Even after a rough day now, I find that a little Schmit on the ride home really helps bring my blood pressure down.

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

sodascouts
09-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Wow, this thread has turned out to be pretty uplifting! Thanks for sharing guys. :)

~

EasyFeeling
09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
You're right, totally off topic.

What about starting a new thread about our health and diseases? Better not...http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

sodascouts
09-09-2006, 02:34 PM
lol. I have no objection to the turn the thread has taken. :)

~

glenneaglesfan
09-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Can I just add my well wishes regarding medical tests to both of you, Sheryl & Michaela. Despite being in the profession I still have a dread of procedures. I am so pleased you found some solace in NMCD, Sheryl, I wish I could hear it over here.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Molly
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
You're right, totally off topic.

What about starting a new thread about our health and diseases?

Hmmm, sorry my example involved sharing a personal story.

Z
09-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I always believed that if you couldn't share things with friends, who could you share them with? Well, I'm even more guilty of being off topic. So sorry to those of you I've offended by straying.

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

sodascouts
09-09-2006, 07:26 PM
I wish I had something more uplifting to share, but I'm afraid the only personal story I have associated with a song is how Take It to the Limit made me smile when I was so frustrated at how horribly I was doing in my freshman advanced math. I felt like a failure and was pretty much depressed every time I cracked open the book, but as I tried desperately to figure out how to take limits in equations, I hummed the song to myself and it cheered me up. I managed to pull a C in the course, by the way. :)

~

EasyFeeling
09-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Oh oh, I have the feeling you've get me wrong. As to my post about the "off topic" I was just kidding. Rather my excuse being off topic.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

Freypower
09-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't have any personal stories either except that Learn To Be Still helped me when I stopped working. I do have a POMPOY story, I suppose, speaking of songs growing on me. I suppose POMPOY wasn't that much of a favourite until one afternoon when I was driving home (still working at that stage) and POMPOY came on while I was stuck at traffic lights for a while. I found myself really listening to what he was singing. I realised that he was indeed 'part of me' and as a fan, however distantly, I was 'part of him'. I had to stop myself from crying as I drove away, but the song just pulsated through me like he had sent me a message, and I knew then that I was committed to him forever (!). Cue the cheesy strings. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/ohwell.gif It was an epiphany and since then POMPOY has been my favourite soloo song.

glenneaglesfan
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Julie. I'm not normally an emotional person but that brought a lump to my throat. I had a bit of a moment like that listening to I Did It For Your Love a couple of nights ago - so poignant.

Nancy, your maths story made me laugh!

~~~

This way to happiness...

EasyFeeling
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm very emotional and that's wonderful FP. Reminds me of the lyric line "what woman can do to your soul". In this case a man.http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif

sodascouts
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes, a lovely story indeed. I guess in a way it's true for all of us here!

~

Molly
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Suddenly, I felt overwhelmed with fear and I started to cry. Right before I was called in, NMCD starting playing overhead on the speakers. I can't tell you the comfort I felt hearing that familiar voice singing those comforting words.

OK, it happened to me again today! This just has to be some kind of Zen or Karma thing with me!

Remember my story about my scary doctor's appointment last year? Well, today was my annual follow up appointment. Nothing scary about it this time -just annoying coz I hate going to the doctor. (sorry, Kate). I'm sitting in the waiting area listening for my name to be called. It's very noisy in the clinic -kids crying, overhead pages, conversations. I'm sitting with a headache and probably a grumpy look on my face when I listen carefully and hear a familiar saxophone. "The One You Love" is playing on the overhead speakers! There's that beautiful, soothing voice again that always seems to show up while I'm at the doctor's office to take my mind off of everything. <Sigh> Almost makes me want to visit my doctor more often. (NOT!)

glenneaglesfan
11-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Wow, that would have almost freaked me out (in the nicest possible way!) Glenn's solo songs are never heard here, apart from THIO. When I heard YBTTC by chance on the ferry home from France it rendered me incapable for a few minutes.

Glad to know the outcome was good, Sheryl!

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

sodascouts
11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for sharing that - your hospital has good taste in waiting room music, lol. But seriously, very cool.

~

Ive always been a dreamer
11-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Sheryl - that really does sound like good karma to me. What are the odds of that happening again, I wonder.

And I agree, that hospital has impeccable taste in music to sooth the soul (nod to Mr. Seger). Do you think you can send me their address - think I'll make my next appointment there. ;)

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

EasyFeeling
11-21-2006, 04:51 AM
That's cool. It's amazing what certain songs can do for our well being.

weefieryredhead
11-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I know this is an old topic but forgive my newbieness! I have to say (and this is weird) without fail if I am having a very stressful day at work and right at the point I cannot take anymore an Eagles song always, always comes on the radio, it's bizarre but it sure does stop me from exploding some days!

EasyFeeling
11-23-2006, 10:13 AM
That's weird indeed but it's the truth. Same here!

glenneaglesfan
11-23-2006, 11:07 AM
You both must listen to better stations than me. The girls at my work have the radio on most days and I've never heard an Eagles song, <sniff>. :( That's why I'm so grateful for my ipod!

~~~

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/signature1.jpg

This way to happiness...

EasyFeeling
11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
As for me it happens not on the radio but on CD (I hate my radio stations LOL)

weefieryredhead
11-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I have a great radio station usually most days I hear at least 1 song :)

EasyFeeling
11-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Uh, I remember I had a BOS moment two days ago. This happens at least once a month. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/eyes.gif

weefieryredhead
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Today I heard Peacful Easy Feeling, Take it to the limit and The End of the Innocence http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/happy.gif

EasyFeeling
11-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I HATE MY RADIO STATION !!! http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/mad.gif

weefieryredhead
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/roll.gif

Outlawman13
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
My radio stations don't play hardly any Eagles and no Glenn Frey music:brickwall:. It is sucky 'cause that's my feel good music for sure. I love Glenn Frey's solo collection (and his solo albums), but listened to a little bit of After Hours. I loveeeeeeeeeeee Glenn's voice and I guess those songs will grow on me for sure. I've always loved You Belong to the City and The One You Love. If they played the Eagles in doctor's offices (for me) I would love going too. They only play country. Blech. I hate country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Prettymaid
02-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Sounds like something else you and TBF have in common. ;-)

TimothyBFan
02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Ugh---Country Music!!!! :ack:

Outlawman13
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
LOL OHHHH boy. We have sooooo much in common Willie. LOL. It's amazing. I like two singers, from country music, but the rest is crap for me.

zeldabjr
02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
yeah don't love country...it's one notch above rap/hiphop

Outlawman13
02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rap and hiphop sucks big time too. I can't believe people actually listen to that. Country hurts my ears all the time. LOL.

Troubadour
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm one of the few who loves country music. I'm not so much a fan of some of the modern country-pop that is around, but real country is all about the stories. I fell in love with it as a child, riding in the back of my grandparents car, listening to the lyrics of Ode To Billy Joe, Jolene, We're All Alone and Blanket On The Ground. I was eight or nine and although I may not have fully understood the deeper meanings of the stories, I loved them - I used to listen to the lyrics and feel the heartache and sadness in them, even if I didn't quite grasp the darker concepts. Ode To Billy Joe is a perfect example. I remember having the same claustrophobic feeling that the girl in the song is having as her family make small-talk around her at the dinner table while she is hit with a bolt of horrific news that will change her life forever. Like I said, for me country music is all about the stories. It gets down to the grass roots and talks about everyday life like no other kind of music does. It's also important not to underestimate the impact that country music had on the singer-songwriters of the '70s... Don, Glenn, James Taylor, Gram Parsons, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell... They were all heavily influenced by the songs of Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and George Jones. Eagles wouldn't exist without country music.

Freypower
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
In an attempt to get this back on topic, old though it is, a couple of the tracks from After Hours that weren't right up there for me have grown on me since seeing them performed last week; those are For Sentimental Reasons & Worried Mind, though if I had my way he'd do I Wanna Be Around rather than Worried Mind. He does seem to enjoy singing it.