PDA

View Full Version : Houston, TX 9-09-08

DonFan
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Now THIS is a review--actually, two reviews:

http://blogs.chron.com/handstamp/archives/2008/09/the_eagles_one.html

September 10, 2008

The Eagles: One show, two reviews

Reviewing the legends -- like the Eagles -- can be tough business. Take Bruce Springsteen, for instance. He got a glowing review back in April that still managed to draw ire for various reasons, not the least of which was the suggestion that Springsteen wasn't immortal. One commenter suggested the format below for a review:

Why can't you just write the facts? Here is what I would like to find out from reading a concert review:
-Venue
-Opening act(if any)
-Start time
-Attendance vs Capacity
-Complete set list
-Encore set list
-Names of band members
-Discription of stage and set-up
-Show highlights
-End time
Then throw in your opinion and anything else you feel you need to add.

For you, my friend, here is an Eagles review. I hope you're reading . . .

Toyota Center
No
8:21 p.m.
19,300 vs. 19,300 (according to one venue rep)
Set list:
How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
Guilty of the Crime
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Boys of Summer
In the City
The Long Run
(Intermission)
No More Walks in the Wood
Waiting in the Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Take It to the Limit
Long Road Out of Eden
Somebody
Walk Away
One of These Nights
Life's Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk #49
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
(encore)
Take It Easy
Desperado
- Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, others
- The stage was flat. There were lights. The backdrop often had video that pertained to the song at hand. So if there was a lyric about a spider, there'd be a picture of a spider.
- Highlights: Anytime Joe Walsh opened his mouth, anytime the guys harmonized, the surprising inclusion of Boys of Summer, an excellent Hotel California at the front of the set.
- 11:25 p.m.
As a bonus, here's a photo:

http://blogs.chron.com/handstamp/archives/TheEagles005-1.JPG
Bill Olive for the Chronicle

Frey and Henley: Stuck in the middle with you.

There ya go. If anybody would like to read more, click below.

Loved and loathed, the Eagles are, I believe, more than worth talking about at length. The fellow who recommended the above review format also suggested I save long-form musings for my "novel" (huh?). He can skip this part.

"We were the band that wouldn't die," Frey said two songs into the band's sold out set at the Toyota Center Tuesday, the first of two shows. And that's true. But the Eagles were MIA during some crucial years. Breaking up might have been easy to do in 1980 when the members would hardly speak to each other. In doing so, the band protected the Eagles brand. Say what you will about the Eagles, but they weren't putting out lousy, synthy albums that got ignored in the '80s and '90s. A disappearing act left their legacy in tact while also generating wanting. There's also the fact that 28,999,999 people other than me own their Greatest Hits album. And many of them had kids who heard it on road trips throughout childhood.The crowd -- more parents than kids, but not without kids -- was one hungry baby bird.

So let's start with the loving and then get to the loathing. It's easy to see this band's appeal. The Eagles have always had an easy way with a gorgeous harmony. The show occasionally had the feeling of a guitar pull with each of the four Eagles needing a turn at the mic every few minutes. But regardless of who took the lead, the harmonies in and around the choruses continue to whisper through like a back porch breeze. Opener How Long is among the best of the songs from the band's latest, Long Road Out of Eden, a countrified stomper that could've snuggled up next to Already Gone three decades ago. The structure of the band's first set was air-tight. Each Eagle took a crack at one new one (Walsh's Guilty of the Crime was also a standout) before a trumpet solo announced a spine tingling Hotel California.

It could just be a sign that I'm getting old, but after a good 15 years or so of having rock 'n' roll thumb its nose snobbily at the notion of a guitar hero, I found the hair on my arms standing up just a little as Walsh and guitarist Stuart Smith did an old fashioned guitar duel on California's exciting and prickly outtro.

Favorites then started to fall from the sky. And it wasn't just the harmonies that sounded clear. Not all rock guys get to their sixties with their voices in tact, but all four Eagles, particularly Henley, were in fine voice. Frey's run through Peaceful Easy Feeling retained the song's beautiful melancholy. Though it felt a little odd given the band's Reservoir Dogs attire. Just as there would be no mustaches, there would be no flannel. Black coats, white shirts, black ties. Lyin' Eyes retained its sweet chorus, while Henley's Boys of Summer was a pleasant surprise. Though Henley suggested first set closer The Long Run was the band's theme song, Boys of Summer kind of fits even better: It captures that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress.

So there are a few of the scores of reasons people love the Eagles. So why do others have such a violent dislike for them? I'm not even talking about Mojo Nixon, who's declaration about the necessity of Henley and Frey's demise was really a joke. But they're a constant target of music snobs. Obviously success makes you an easy target. Hippies have been fair game for years now, and while the Eagles were technically post-hippie, there's still something of a stoner aura about the peaceful, easy feeling days. Or could it be that people resent the fact that the band got together and made millions despite the fact that its members seemed to not get along at all.

Well as for the argument that punk rock was a reaction to the Eagles, that's fine and all, but you still need the Eagles for that to happen. If everybody sounded like the Ramones in 1975 then Bread would be the rebels. And not getting along? Well that's a time-honored rock tradition. The Eagles singers aren't siblings, but they get the sibling harmony thing down, from the singing to the squabbling.

Anyway, at the risk of getting too long winded, the second set was a little less rewarding than the first. It felt less fluid, though it followed a similar path. The band started out sitting, as they did when Hell first froze over in 1994. This batch of songs seemed to rely on the choruses for some oomph, but Take It to the Limit perked things up, though even then fans had to step up and hit the high notes at the end since nobody on stage cared to.

Things started to feel a little jarring after that, as though the band wanted to make sure its arena rock cred was confirmed. Henley's title track from Eden was a strong entry, with him cutting loose on a barbed political song. Frey's Somebody, on the other hand, felt a little shouty. By the time Henley did another solo track (Dirty Laundry) and Walsh dusted off the James Gang's Funk #49 the set had the feel of a free for all.
An encore of Take It Easy and Desperado was nicely restrained, contemplative and gorgeous.

That said the silence that followed was disappointing. Presumably the reason people sacrifice money and eardrums and babysitter money and brain cells and whatever else for these concerts -- as opposed to sitting at home and playing the hits albums -- is for the shared experience. The lights were down after Desperado and they stayed down. Admittedly this is me playing fantasy baseball here, but Seven Bridges Road, done a capella, seemed inevitable -- sort of their harmony masterpiece.
Only problem was the seats were empty and the aisles were clogged. The dark remained for several minutes and then the house lights went up. If there was more, it wasn't going to be for a 25% capacity crowd.
Still unless a set list surfaces, that's just a phantom quibble in my mind. Or maybe it'll happen Thursday. Or the next time Hell freezes over.

By Andrew Dansby

TimothyBFan
09-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Another TRUE fan writing a great review!! How refreshing!:)

ticky
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Great review! I cant believe everyone left before a second encore tho.

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I love reading reviews from people who "get it"!

Prettymaid
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
My review of the review - Very refreshing!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks DF - that was a good review - I thought it was actually a very interesting read. I especially liked his description of The Boys of Summer capturing "that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress". That is very well stated.

DonFan
09-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I especially liked his description of The Boys of Summer capturing "that uneasy truce between nostalgia and progress". That is very well stated.

I agree!

Brooke
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
That was great, DF! Thanks for posting it.

I'm taking notes! :thumbsup:

StephUK
09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Well here I am in sunny Texas.

Great show last night. Crowd was really lively & into the band, and the guys were well fired up too!

My darling Will looked gorgeous as only he can:inlove:He didn't take his jacket off all evening though - and it was very warm towards the end. Hope he gets it off tomorrow night.

Mrs Frey - Glenn looked very sexy too; he had his tie loosened & a few buttons on his shirt undone, and his shirt was pulled out & flying loose. Have to say he looks as if he has put on a little weight.

Don seems to be growing a beard...which is white! and I have to say I didn't think it looked good on him.

Timothy was just very sweet as usual, and Joe was in fine humour.

Disappointing that we only got the one encore - maybe tomorrow we'll get two. My friend says she heard Glenn say something about it being very hot on stage, so maybe that's why they only did one encore.

We had a couple of annoying guys next to us. They arrived late & had to push past us to get to their seats. They'd been drinking & one of them elbowed my friend in the head, then stood on her foot. Later they were about to fight with each other & we had to push them away from us & try to separate them. Luckily one of them then left.
Even so, we had a fantastic time & I'm so looking forward to the next show.

I managed to get some photos, but I won't be able to post them until I get back home to the UK.

One show down...three to go. I an on cloud 9.

LOL
Steph

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the notes, Steph! Sounds like the guys were hot (temperature-wise) onstage. If heat makes them loosen those ties and unbutton a bit, I hope it's hot in Chicago too!

Prettymaid
09-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, but we want two encores!

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Good point. That does take precedence!

Freypower
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Well here I am in sunny Texas.

Mrs Frey - Glenn looked very sexy too; he had his tie loosened & a few buttons on his shirt undone, and his shirt was pulled out & flying loose. Have to say he looks as if he has put on a little weight.

I have to take your word for this about the shirt being partially undone and pulled out. It seems very out of character, however. Thanks for the review.

ticky
09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
This was on CNN.

Hurricane Ike is forecast to make landfall in Texas early Saturday morning as a dangerous, Category 4 storm, and officials Wednesday ordered mandatory evacuations in some Texas Gulf Coast counties. People who choose to ride it out "will absolutely be on their own," Brazoria County Sheriff Charles Wagner said

Houston is only about 45 miles from the coast and it says it currently has about 100 mph winds. If you're going to the Houston concert, double check and please be careful!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/10/hurricane.ike/index.html

sodascouts
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I was just coming on here to post this, ticky, and you beat me to it. While the show is tomorrow, people who are planning on travelling should be very cautious. Steph, be careful, and don't put the Eagles above your own safety!

Looks like the Eagles are going to miss it by a hair. Luck appears to be on their side.

My parent's home is in north Houston (my parents are actually in Israel right now, so that's good). Hopefully everything will be OK.

rickmullen
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Are you kidding me? No "Rocky Mountain Way" from Joe Walsh?
What a travesty! I will just die if I don't hear that song in Nashville
next week. Maybe everyone will stay put and make a bunch of
noise to get that second encore. I certainly hope so.

Maybe they will put it back in the set list for Thursday night.

Rick

Glennsallnighter
09-11-2008, 04:27 AM
That was a lovely refreshing review DF, as others have said. It was obviously written by someone who has been a fan of the Eagles over the years too and can see then for the band and people that they are!

Steph! Glenn :heart: sounds absolutely adorable as you described him! Mmmmm!!

Littlemelly9
09-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Happy for all you peeples!!!:partytime:

TimothyBFan
09-11-2008, 07:41 AM
I want 2 encores in Chicago!!!! PLEASE!!!
Just a thought--some of you know here about the other times I have had tickets to go see them and something happens to keep me from it--wouldn't it be just my luck that a hurricane "happens" to The Eagles and prevents them from showing up in Chicago or something. I know it won't happen and I sure don't wish anything bad on them or any of their fans trying to see them (hold on to something sturdy if it gets to bad Steph!) but of course my mind is working overtime the closer it gets to my time to finally see them!

Prettymaid
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
We'll be fine,TBF. They'll make it up here by the 24th. Face facts, girl - You're going to see The Eagles and nothing is going to stop you!:nod::spin::grin:

ticky
09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Im sure the boys will make Chicago and you'll get to see them. It's inevitable!!

timfan
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I was just looking at the Eagles official site and tonight's show has been postponed due to the hurricane!

Tonight's Concert Postponed
Due to Hurricane Ike, the Eagles Concert at Toyota Center for tonight, Thursday, September 11, 2008 has been postponed until Thursday, October 2, 2008. Tickets for tonight's performance will be honored at the rescheduled date.

For questions or more information regarding this postponement, call 1 866 4HOU TIX

www.eaglesband.com (http://www.eaglesband.com)

sodascouts
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Aw - poor Steph! :(

Prettymaid
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I figured they would postpone. Too bad for Steph.

Freypower
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
At least she saw them once, but to go all that way and have that happen...:-(

ticky
09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Poor kid, didnt she say there were three more concerts she had tickets for? Hope she can make the other two!
Good Luck Steph!!

Brooke
09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh my gosh, how terrible for Steph. After coming all that way....

I wondered if they would have the shows.

Peekaboo
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
That's too bad that the concert was postponed. Hopefully the guys will make up for it in a big way when they go back.

09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh no - that is just a shame. I may be wrong but I think Steph may also have tickets to the Dallas shows. I'm saying a little prayer for her that they won't be cancelled as well. :pray: :pray:

sodascouts
09-12-2008, 12:09 AM
The thread title leads me to believe you're right, dreamer. ;) I'm so glad Steph still has her Dallas shows left!

TimothyBFan
09-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Steph--are you out there? Don't let Ike get you:spin::spin:, get to Dallas quickly!! Will awaits your arrival!!:partytime:

rickmullen
09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I was sure sorry to hear about all those people getting their show
postponed in Houston on Thursday. It can add up to quite a bit
of money lost when you consider travel (air fare or gas in your car),
hotel room, meals, etc. You don't get a refund on all that. When you
add in the price of your ticket and $40 T-shirts, going to a concert
can be quite expensive these days. Trust me, I know.

Let's hope most of those people can make the return trip for the make-up
date. But you know some of them won't be able to.

Rick

sodascouts
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Very true, Rick - but on the other side of that, there are people who were evacuating or simply felt it was unsafe to travel last night, and those people would have missed the show and lost THEIR money. It's a no-win situation, but I think in this case, the band was putting safety first - you can't blame them for that. I'm still very sorry for Steph, though. :(

StephUK
09-24-2008, 06:40 PM
I have to take your word for this about the shirt being partially undone and pulled out. It seems very out of character, however. Thanks for the review.

The proof is here!!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Eagles2008Houston68s.jpg

More later

Steph

Freypower
09-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow, Steph. Thank you. I see that one is from Houston. I'm glad you had a good time despite the second Houston show being cancelled.

glenneaglesfan
09-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Goodness me, untucked shirt!:shock::drool:

So glad to hear that you're back safely, Steph, and that you've had a fabulous time. I'm looking forward to your reviews!

Brooke
09-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Good to hear from you Steph! Wonderful picture of Glenn, too.

The camera Nazis (Rick's term) were out in St. Louis, too. :-(

Can't wait to read your reviews.

09-25-2008, 10:48 AM
It's great to hear from you, Steph. I hope you had a wonderful trip in spite of Hurricane Ike. Glad you are back at home resting up. How awesome that you had front row center seats at one of the shows. I can't wait to hear more. I'm glad to hear that Will was in fine form and if that incredible picture of Glenn is any indication of the other pics you got, my heart won't be able to take it. :wink:

sodascouts
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
So glad to hear from you today Steph! When I saw there were new posts in this thread, I hoped it was you. Great photo! Looking forward to your review.

StephUK
09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
At last, here are my thoughts & experiences from the Houston show & the 2 Dallas shows.

EAGLES SHOW, HOUSTON - 9 SEPTEMBER 2008
My Texan friend(who I was staying with) drove us to the Toyota Center for 6.00pm to attend the ILAA pre-show party.
We won a T-shirt in the raffle(which my friend let me keep). Chatted to some friendly fans at the party. It’s always great to hear about other fans’ Eagles experiences.

Our seats were in the centre section, row 5, just right of the middle(between Glenn & Joe – and ideal for ‘Will Hollis spotting’!!):thumbsup:
Just like the O2 show in London, I was very excited as I saw the support musicians come onto the stage – especially when I saw Will walk to his keyboard and sit down. Then the Eagles came onto the stage & the noise from the crowd increased in anticipation (well, from those who were near enough to see them on the darkened stage).
Straight into How Long and loud cheering & applause. Then into Busy Being Fabulous.

Glenn welcomed us to the ‘Eagles Assisted Living Tour’............’We are the Eagles; the band that refuse to die’.

The guys seemed to be in good spirits and Glenn made a few rehearsed jokes as always!
Don had a beard which was white & I didn’t think it did him any favours (I think it made him look old).
Glenn has put on a pound or two – that’s an observation not a criticism.

I’ve got used to seeing the guys in suits now, and I don’t mind that they’re not in jeans etc,.
(My darling Will looks very smart & attractive in his suit).:drool:

The audience on the floor were very into the show & were standing up dancing & singing for Hotel California, Boys of Summer, In the City & The Long Run.
After the break came the ‘sitting down bit’. I especially love Waiting in the Weeds, such emotive lyrics & Will plays some beautiful piano in this song. The last ‘sitting down’ song is another of my personal favourites....Take it to the Limit.

Long Road out of Eden – what can I say. I love this song & it sounds amazing in a large arena.

Now we’re into the faster songs & the crowd is on its feet BIG TIME.:yay::yay: It was so hot - the guys take their jackets off & Glenn pulls his shirt out(presumably to get some cool air!) Despite the heat, Will kept his jacket on!(sadly, not even a teasing flash of bare arms tonight).

After Life in the Fast Lanethe band left the stage. We saw the techies set up the mike with the tube for Joe, ready for Rocky Mountain Way, but after a little while the band return & go straight into Take it Easy, followed by Desperado. So only one encore tonight.

My friend said she had heard Glenn complaining about how hot it was, so that might be why we didn’t get the 2 encores.

During the show I waved to all of the guys from you all here at the board – and at the end I blew them some kisses too.

SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
1. Just being there
2. Witchy Woman – great that they are doing this one again
3. Lyin’ eyes – one of my all-time favourites
4. Will’s piano on Waiting in the Weeds
5. Take it to the Limit
6. Will’s smile during the band intros – Will doesn’t seem to smile while he’s playing....he has his serious, concentrating face on then
7. Rockin’ with Joe

I was able to take some photos at this show, without being told not to by security. There did seems to be a lot of bright, white lights on the stage which have played havoc with my photos, so I had to edit them a bit.

Here's some to tempt you - you can view the rest at:-

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/?start=all

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston93a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston74a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston50a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston44a.jpg

As the Houston show on 11 September was cancelled, we travelled up to Dallas that evening. Hurricane Ike was on it’s way & people were being advised to evacuate Galveston island, so we thought we’d go up to Dallas a day earlier than planned to avoid the evacuation traffic. As it was we were in traffic queues just north of Houston & it took us ages to get onto the Freeway for Dallas.

EAGLES SHOW, DALLAS– 13 SEPTEMBER 2008

We arrived at the American Airlines Center just before 6.00pm. While we were outside waiting for our ILAA host it started to pour with rain...so we all got a bit soggy (I thought I was getting away from rain when I went to Texas!)

Met more friendly Eagles fans at the pre-show party – everybody in Texas was really friendly to me. As soon as they heard my accent they all wanted to know what part of England I came from & to chat to me; and they all welcomed me to Texas.
Didn’t win anything in the raffle tonight, but bought lots of Eagles goodies...T-shirts, hats, mugs etc

Our seats were row D (4th) middle section, about in the middle of the stage(Once again fine for ‘Will Hollis spotting’).:thumbsup:

Once again the adrenalin was rushing through my veins as the lights dimmed & the supporting musicians came onto the stage, followed by the band...............and we were off again!

Tonight Glenn welcomed us & said ‘check your tickets.....this is the Eagles Assisted Living Tour...and we are the Eagles, the band that refuse to die’

During the band intros the crowd went wild for Don, as expected. He stood up behind his drums & took the applause, bowing & smiling. I liked the musical ‘extras’ played by the supporting musicians as Don & Glenn were introduced. Also we sang a bit of ‘Tempted’ when Timothy mentioned that Paul Carrack had co-written Love will keep us Alive.

The audience was even more lively than the Houston crowd. I sang, danced & generally enjoyed myself thoroughly. :yay::yay::yay:
Timothy & Glenn were really engaging with the audience – and Joe was on fine form. Plenty of smiles & laughter. Timothy was waving both hands & clapping during All she wants to do is Dance.

Luckily we got the 2 encores tonight.

A fine performance.

SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
1. Don had shaved off the beard
2. Joe’s totally OTT performance of Life’s been Good
3. Will Hollis (and everything he does!):inlove::inlove::inlove:
4. Getting the 2nd encore

Unfortunately I was told off by a security lady for taking photos – I knew I was pushing my luck as they had put a flyer on each seat saying that recording & photography was not allowed. So I only got a few photos, which I've posted here.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20086a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20087a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20088a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20089a.jpg

EAGLES SHOW, DALLAS – 14 SEPTEMBER 2008

Arrived at the American Airlines Center in sunshine tonight instead of rain.
Another ILAA pre-show party. More friendly Eagles fans to chat to. Didn’t win anything in the raffle.

Our seats tonight.....FRONT ROW , MIDDLE STAGE.:cool:

More adrenalin, more singing, more dancing.

Another fantastic show. Lively audience. Support band on form. Glenn, Don, Timmy & Joe giving it their all. Even more crazy applause for Don tonight. I thought it was never going to end.

MY VERY SPECIAL MOMENT:heart:
At the end of Life in the Fast Line, I caught Will’s eye, so I mouthed ‘Hi Will’ and waved to him. He waved back & smiled at me. It was already a great night but that made it even better. :smitten:

I was sorry this was to be my last show, but I left the center feeling so lucky to have been able to see the Eagles in the US. It was well worth going for. I will never forget it. If I get the chance to do it again I won’t hesitate.

I’m hoping they will come back to the UK & Europe next year. I’ll be saving up so that I can get to see as many shows as possible.

EAGLES, I LOVE YOU.:applause::applause::applause:

Love
Steph

StephUK
09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
My Houston photos are also on Flickr, if anyone prefers using that rather than Photbucket, at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16004674@N04/sets/72157607538196314/

Steph

TimothyBFan
09-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks Steph for the reviews. So glad you were able to make to most of the shows anyways. You really should get a tshirt that says I survived seeing the Eagles even thru a hurricane-or something to that effect.

Mrs Henley
10-04-2008, 02:04 PM
A wave from Will IS priceless; getting a little smile is EVEN MORE priceless - as I said, he doesn't smile often when he's on stage(he's Mr Serious).

I'll never forget that evening.

Steph

Steph, that's soooooooooo amazing! So cool that he just smiled AND waved to you! :D

I'm so glad you enjoyed all those shows!

tbs fanatic
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Great review and pics. Glad you had such a great time.

Glennsallnighter
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time at the gigs in the States and also that you got a little attention from Will. I love your pics too. The top one in this sequence is my favourite although they are all superb. (I couldn't isolate it!). Why? I love the way Glenn:heart:'s shirt hangs out of his trousers.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston93a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston74a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston50a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston44a.jpg

StephUK
10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks Steph for the reviews. So glad you were able to make to most of the shows anyways. You really should get a tshirt that says I survived seeing the Eagles even thru a hurricane-or something to that effect.

That's a good idea. Maybe if they come to the UK next year I'll get one to wear to the shows. Even hurricane Ike couldn't stop an Eagles fan from getting to a show!

Steph

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Did anyone see any reviews at all about the made up Houston show Monday night? It just dawned on me that I never did see anything posted and didn't receive any google alerts on it.

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I went looking for a review and found this old one from the earlier Eagles show:

Here's a review from the Houston Press (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2008/09/aftermath_the_eagles_at_toyota.php):

Aftermath: The Eagles at Toyota Center

Wed Sep 10, 2008 at 11:35:45 AM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20crowd.JPG
Photo by Barry Gray

“This isn’t an Eagles concert,” my dad, no spring chicken himself, told me when I met him in front of Toyota Center Tuesday evening. “It’s an AARP convention.”

As Gomer Pyle used to say, suh-prise, suh-prise, suh-prise. It’s not like I expected anything different, but still, all that squareness somewhere I had recently seen Nine Inch Nails and Motley Crue – the tucked-in shirts, khaki shorts, sensible shoes, Liz Claiborne blouses, etc. – was kind of impressive. And I thought the crowd at Bruce Springsteen was squaresville.

Tuesday’s crowd - if Toyota Center wasn’t sold out, it wasn’t far off - was the epitome of the “don’t get out much” segment of the population, which, those of us who go out for a living tend to forget, is about 95 percent. I think it’s safe to say that for a lot of people, this show (which wrapped up around 11:30 p.m.) was as late as they’ll stay out all year. And white, white, white.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/eagles%20set%20list.jpg

The Eagles came out around 8:15 p.m. and opened with three songs from last year’s double disc The Long Road Out of Eden. “How Long” was Eagles 101 – easygoing, wistful country-rock – “Busy Being Fabulous,” with Glenn Frey on lead vocals, tended more R&B, and “I Don’t Want to Hear,” well, I’ll avoid the obvious joke.

I spent most of the rest of the first set being escorted by tour personnel back and forth through the bowels of Toyota Center because to even get tickets at all, I had to agree to take pictures of Joe Walsh and a specific guitar (below) at various points – before the show, at intermission, during “Boys of Summer” and “In the City.” The things we do in the name of journalism.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20Walsh%20w%20guitar.JPG
Photos by Chris Gray

However, I did manage to escape my PR duties long enough to sit behind the soundboard on the band-guest platform for a few songs, near four blondes in cocktail dresses dancing up a storm and a few dour middle-aged guys literally sitting there with their arms folded. I think the “don’t get out much” crowd may forget the primary objective of going to a concert is to have fun; I mean, I’ll just assume these people weren’t there against their will, especially in those seats.

Anyway, Joe Walsh did some trademark showboating during “Hotel California,” a very country “Peaceful Easy Feeling” featured some very lush harmonies – four guys who aren’t related singing that close together with nearly perfect pitch is truly impressive – and “I Can’t Tell You Why,” with Glenn Frey and Walsh on electric piano and Timothy B. Schmidt on lead vocals, had an intimate soul/R&B vibe that momentarily made Toyota Center feel like a smoky jazz club, at least a little. “Witchy Woman” was the band’s Santana song, with Don Henley (more on him later) laying on the toms extra thick.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20Walsh%203.JPG

One moment during the first set really struck home: While I was waiting at the foot of the stage to take those close-up shots of Walsh, I noticed a woman probably in her early ‘60s standing nearby. Frey was leading the band through a gentle “Lyin’ Eyes,” and she had the biggest faraway look in her eyes I think I’ve ever seen.

It was obvious that somewhere in her past, “Lyin’ Eyes” was the soundtrack to a major life moment (and, given its content, probably not a pleasant one), and that that one wounded little ballad really meant something to her on a personal level that can often be hard to fathom for those of us who listen to music as our 9 to 5. My heart broke a little both thinking about that and wondering what must have happened for that song to cast such a spell on her.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20Henley.JPG
Even the camera is afraid of Don Henley.

So, about Henley: Even from far away, he looked like someone not to be trifled with. Clad in a dark suit and tie like the other three principals, he could have been a sinister church deacon – steely-eyed, thin-lipped and cold as the other side of the pillow. Then, when I was in the pit, he and I locked eyes for a second and I was fucking terrified; I’m still amazed I didn’t burst into flames on the spot. If Henley really is searching for the daughter of the devil himself, a good place to look might be the ol’ family album. (Frey, on the other hand, came across as a regular guy who probably enjoys a round or two of golf pretty much every day; perhaps wisely, he handled the emcee duties for the evening.)

The second set likewise began with a trifecta of songs from Eden, melancholy folk numbers with the four Eagles each seated with acoustic guitars and again, none especially memorable. Schmidt took over lead vocals for “Love Will Keep Us Alive,” a pretty but dull song from 1994’s Hell Freezes Over written by ex-Squeeze player Paul Carrack – I laughed when he sang a few bars of “Tempted” in a vain attempt to explain to the crowd who Carrack is.

Thankfully, things picked up after that. With the stage breathtakingly lit in indigo, “Take It To the Limit” – introduced by Frey as “Our wives call this the credit-card song” and by my dad as “my all-time favorite” - brought back those beautiful harmonies and was genuinely moving. The sense of loss and uncertainty in the song was palpable and, it turned out, an effective segue into the next one.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20band.JPG

True, Henley’s “Long Road Out of Eden” was about as heavy-handed an anti-Bush/oil/consumerism polemic as it gets – especially with a visual backdrop of traffic jams, oil derricks, soldiers in Iraq, etc. - but its slow-burning anger was real and discernible; Walsh’s guitar leads were particularly seething. And given the arena was full of likely McCain voters, Henley deserves credit for confronting people who coughed up hundreds of dollars to be there with some rather unpleasant truths about their (our) lifestyle.

Frey followed with “Somebody,” the only song from Eden to make a real impression. Dark, rocking, and suspicious, with a strong undercurrent of Link Wray/Dick Dale guitar, it cast politics aside in favor of bleak Old West imagery (tombstones, graveyards) and more screaming slide work from Walsh, who more or less took over from there on out. Some brave souls near us actually got up to dance during “Walk Away,” and Walsh's “Helmet Cam,” interspersed with home movies of the band during “Life’s Been Good” was a big hit.

“Dirty Laundry” brought images of every TV talking head known to man – except, strangely enough, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert – and mock magazine covers of the band a la “Don Henley solves global warming” on Time. (Maybe he does have a sense of humor after all… naaah.) The rest of the band – including the dozen or so horns, keyboard and guitar sidemen - was full-tilt boogie during “Funk No. 49,” but Henley looked a little bored behind the congas.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/Eagles%20-%20Walsh%201.JPG

“Heartache Tonight” revisited the horn-charged Memphis soul of first-set closer “The Long Run”, both the cocktail-dress ladies and African-American ushers nearby totally got into it. And another, slightly more effective hard-bitten Henley lifestyle critique, “Life In the Fast Lane,” closed out the set with the most crackling guitar lick in the Eagles catalog, again courtesy of Walsh, and Henley actually letting his guard down (somewhat) and engaging the crowd.

“Are you with me so far?” he asked. Yes sir, we were – mostly because the consequences should we choose otherwise were too terrifying to even consider. – Chris Gray

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Gee--I wonder how he really feels about Don? :woah:

Troubadour
12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I was just thinking the same thing, Willie. He went a little OTT, didn't he? Oh well... :iloveyou: Don. (I've never used that smiley before and thought it was a good time!)

Freypower
12-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I think what he had to say about Don was very interesting.

I like what he said about Somebody. It didn't occur to me that the 'tombstones' and 'crows' stuff could be considered as a return to the Wild West imagery.

The woman in the centre of that audience photo is the spitting image of my mother-in-law.

DonFan
12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
What a wimp. The things you do--and write--for the sake of journalism, indeed. :roll:

This mis-informed journalist could have at least checked the spelling of Timothy's last name, and also noted that Don, not Glenn, sings lead on BFF. Perhaps he was too busy cowering in his comped seats trying to avoid Don's "steely gaze." Since he referred to how jaded he has become over the years of covering music 9 to 5, perhaps this fella ought to consider a different line of work---and give another part-time journalist (that I know very well :twisted: ) a chance...?