PDA

View Full Version : Dallas, TX 9-13-08

DonFan
09-14-2008, 03:26 PM
The Eagles test fans with classic hits, new tunes in 30-song show Saturday

Sun, Sep 14, 2008/By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Dallas Morning News

The Eagles are responsible for more hits than the Gambino crime family. But instead of just doling them out, one by one, they took a big risk Saturday night at American Airlines Center by playing nine songs from their latest album, Long Road Out of Eden.

Most boomer bands wouldn't dare test fans with that much new material. But the wily old Eagles pulled it off, thanks to their sterling harmonies and top-notch songwriting. Eden's title track – an angry Don Henley rant against big wigs "bloated on entitlement and loaded on propaganda" – held its own with such classics as "Hotel California." "Busy Being Fabulous" was cut from the same caustic cloth as "Life In the Fast Lane."

Looking like four CEOs in their matching suits and ties, the Eagles opened the show with four new tunes in a row. But as patient as the near-capacity crowd was, fans didn't really cut loose until the parade of hits began. In a 30-song show that clocked in at three-and-a-half hours (including a brief intermission), the band covered every base from "Take it Easy" and "Desperado" to a half-dozen solo hits by Mr. Henley and Joe Walsh.

The Eagles are famous, some say infamous, for replicating their hits note-for-note onstage. But they ad-libbed more than usual Saturday, slowing down tempos and funking things up with a four-man horn section. It didn't always work, but when it did (like in "Heartache Tonight"), it made for a much livelier show than the band's AAC concerts in 2001 and 2003.
The band rehashed several jokes from past tours. Glenn Frey's quip about "Take It to the Limit" being his wife's credit card motto is getting old, as is Mr. Walsh's "helmet camera" during "Life's Been Good." But Mr. Frey did come up with a few good new ones. He said "Lyin' Eyes" "has a lot of meaning in D-FW" – a jab, perhaps, at ex-Carrolton mayor Becky Miller, who got in hot water this year for claiming she was once engaged to Mr. Henley (she wasn't).

And he dubbed the show part of "The Eagles' Assisted Living Tour," saying "We are the Eagles, the band that wouldn't die." Like cockroaches and Keith Richards, the Eagles are apparently on this earth for the long run.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

While I hope the guys are indeed on this earth for the long run, surely the writer could've come up with a better analogy than likening them to cockroaches & Keith Richards! :yuck:

ticky
09-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh I think they're doing a heck of a lot better then Keith! *G* I mean Cockroaches are doing better then Keith *G* He's not all that old! He just looks old *G*
Our boys are already legends, they dont need to worry about immortality, they're already immortal!

Prettymaid
09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
The Eagles test fans with classic hits, new tunes in 30-song show Saturday

Sun, Sep 14, 2008/By THOR CHRISTENSEN / Dallas Morning News

The Eagles are responsible for more hits than the Gambino crime family.

:hilarious::machinegun::machinegun::machinegun: :machinegun:I love that line!

DonFan
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I thought that line was pretty good too, pm!

TimothyBFan
09-15-2008, 08:30 AM
I read that line to my husband as we were watching The Sopranos. We both couldn't stop laughing!!:hilarious:

rickmullen
09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Anyone have a complete set list for Dallas?

One encore or two?

Rick

sodascouts
09-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Here's another review, from a fan:

http://www.geekfest.com/showthread.php?t=209997

glenneaglesfan
09-20-2008, 04:08 AM
That girl has really got it, hasn't she?! I really enjoyed reading that, and the comments which follow, particularly this rearding Mr Frey:
"Yes.. mmmm... he is sumphin else! .. and sings like an angel.. sexy.. a definite yes!"
:nod:

Prettymaid
09-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Two points struck me.

I liked it when she's talking about the length of time they played, and she says, "They are athletes. Music is their sport."

And I also loved this.

"Music that stands the test of time... my music... the sound of my time of life, will be celebrated for generations to come."

StephUK
09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Steph--are you out there? Don't let Ike get you:spin::spin:, get to Dallas quickly!! Will awaits your arrival!!:partytime:

Hi All,

I'm back in the UK now & have just about recovered from Jet Lag.

Thanks for all your thoughts for me while I was away. Yes, it was a great shame that the 2nd Houston show had to be cancelled 'cos of the coming hurricane. :cry:
We went to Dallas a day earlier than planned(Thurs) when we had heard that the Thursday show was cancelled, so we avoided much of the evacuation traffic.
The Dallas shows were amazing!!! :rockguitar:We had FRONT ROW MIDDLE seats on the Sunday night(how cool is that). I will write more about my concert experiences soon. I have photo's from Houston, but was told off for using my camera at the Dallas show, so I only got 2 or 3 from there.
Bear with me while I sort them out & then I'll post some.

Will looked absolutely gorgeous :inlove:I'm still getting over seeing him! :fainted::heart:

My new avatar is from the Houston show!

More soon,
Steph

StephUK
09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
At last, here are my thoughts & experiences from the Houston show & the 2 Dallas shows.

EAGLES SHOW, HOUSTON - 9 SEPTEMBER 2008
My Texan friend(who I was staying with) drove us to the Toyota Center for 6.00pm to attend the ILAA pre-show party.
We won a T-shirt in the raffle(which my friend let me keep). Chatted to some friendly fans at the party. It’s always great to hear about other fans’ Eagles experiences.

Our seats were in the centre section, row 5, just right of the middle(between Glenn & Joe – and ideal for ‘Will Hollis spotting’!!):thumbsup:
Just like the O2 show in London, I was very excited as I saw the support musicians come onto the stage – especially when I saw Will walk to his keyboard and sit down. Then the Eagles came onto the stage & the noise from the crowd increased in anticipation (well, from those who were near enough to see them on the darkened stage).
Straight into How Long and loud cheering & applause. Then into Busy Being Fabulous.

Glenn welcomed us to the ‘Eagles Assisted Living Tour’............’We are the Eagles; the band that refuse to die’.

The guys seemed to be in good spirits and Glenn made a few rehearsed jokes as always!
Don had a beard which was white & I didn’t think it did him any favours (I think it made him look old).
Glenn has put on a pound or two – that’s an observation not a criticism.

I’ve got used to seeing the guys in suits now, and I don’t mind that they’re not in jeans etc,.
(My darling Will looks very smart & attractive in his suit).:drool:

The audience on the floor were very into the show & were standing up dancing & singing for Hotel California, Boys of Summer, In the City & The Long Run.
After the break came the ‘sitting down bit’. I especially love Waiting in the Weeds, such emotive lyrics & Will plays some beautiful piano in this song. The last ‘sitting down’ song is another of my personal favourites....Take it to the Limit.

Long Road out of Eden – what can I say. I love this song & it sounds amazing in a large arena.

Now we’re into the faster songs & the crowd is on its feet BIG TIME.:yay::yay: It was so hot - the guys take their jackets off & Glenn pulls his shirt out(presumably to get some cool air!) Despite the heat, Will kept his jacket on!(sadly, not even a teasing flash of bare arms tonight).

After Life in the Fast Lanethe band left the stage. We saw the techies set up the mike with the tube for Joe, ready for Rocky Mountain Way, but after a little while the band return & go straight into Take it Easy, followed by Desperado. So only one encore tonight.

My friend said she had heard Glenn complaining about how hot it was, so that might be why we didn’t get the 2 encores.

During the show I waved to all of the guys from you all here at the board – and at the end I blew them some kisses too.

SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
1. Just being there
2. Witchy Woman – great that they are doing this one again
3. Lyin’ eyes – one of my all-time favourites
4. Will’s piano on Waiting in the Weeds
5. Take it to the Limit
6. Will’s smile during the band intros – Will doesn’t seem to smile while he’s playing....he has his serious, concentrating face on then
7. Rockin’ with Joe

I was able to take some photos at this show, without being told not to by security. There did seems to be a lot of bright, white lights on the stage which have played havoc with my photos, so I had to edit them a bit.

Here's some to tempt you - you can view the rest at:-

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/?start=all

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston93a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston74a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston50a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Houston%20show/Houston44a.jpg

As the Houston show on 11 September was cancelled, we travelled up to Dallas that evening. Hurricane Ike was on it’s way & people were being advised to evacuate Galveston island, so we thought we’d go up to Dallas a day earlier than planned to avoid the evacuation traffic. As it was we were in traffic queues just north of Houston & it took us ages to get onto the Freeway for Dallas.

EAGLES SHOW, DALLAS– 13 SEPTEMBER 2008

We arrived at the American Airlines Center just before 6.00pm. While we were outside waiting for our ILAA host it started to pour with rain...so we all got a bit soggy (I thought I was getting away from rain when I went to Texas!)

Met more friendly Eagles fans at the pre-show party – everybody in Texas was really friendly to me. As soon as they heard my accent they all wanted to know what part of England I came from & to chat to me; and they all welcomed me to Texas.
Didn’t win anything in the raffle tonight, but bought lots of Eagles goodies...T-shirts, hats, mugs etc

Our seats were row D (4th) middle section, about in the middle of the stage(Once again fine for ‘Will Hollis spotting’).:thumbsup:

Once again the adrenalin was rushing through my veins as the lights dimmed & the supporting musicians came onto the stage, followed by the band...............and we were off again!

Tonight Glenn welcomed us & said ‘check your tickets.....this is the Eagles Assisted Living Tour...and we are the Eagles, the band that refuse to die’

During the band intros the crowd went wild for Don, as expected. He stood up behind his drums & took the applause, bowing & smiling. I liked the musical ‘extras’ played by the supporting musicians as Don & Glenn were introduced. Also we sang a bit of ‘Tempted’ when Timothy mentioned that Paul Carrack had co-written Love will keep us Alive.

The audience was even more lively than the Houston crowd. I sang, danced & generally enjoyed myself thoroughly. :yay::yay::yay:
Timothy & Glenn were really engaging with the audience – and Joe was on fine form. Plenty of smiles & laughter. Timothy was waving both hands & clapping during All she wants to do is Dance.

Luckily we got the 2 encores tonight.

A fine performance.

SHOW HIGHLIGHTS
1. Don had shaved off the beard
2. Joe’s totally OTT performance of Life’s been Good
3. Will Hollis (and everything he does!):inlove::inlove::inlove:
4. Getting the 2nd encore

Unfortunately I was told off by a security lady for taking photos – I knew I was pushing my luck as they had put a flyer on each seat saying that recording & photography was not allowed. So I only got a few photos, which I've posted here.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20086a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20087a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20088a.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Dallas%20show/Dallas20089a.jpg

EAGLES SHOW, DALLAS – 14 SEPTEMBER 2008

Arrived at the American Airlines Center in sunshine tonight instead of rain.
Another ILAA pre-show party. More friendly Eagles fans to chat to. Didn’t win anything in the raffle.

Our seats tonight.....FRONT ROW , MIDDLE STAGE.:cool:

More adrenalin, more singing, more dancing.

Another fantastic show. Lively audience. Support band on form. Glenn, Don, Timmy & Joe giving it their all. Even more crazy applause for Don tonight. I thought it was never going to end.

MY VERY SPECIAL MOMENT:heart:
At the end of Life in the Fast Line, I caught Will’s eye, so I mouthed ‘Hi Will’ and waved to him. He waved back & smiled at me. It was already a great night but that made it even better. :smitten:

I was sorry this was to be my last show, but I left the center feeling so lucky to have been able to see the Eagles in the US. It was well worth going for. I will never forget it. If I get the chance to do it again I won’t hesitate.

I’m hoping they will come back to the UK & Europe next year. I’ll be saving up so that I can get to see as many shows as possible.

EAGLES, I LOVE YOU.:applause::applause::applause:

Love
Steph

Brooke
09-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, Steph! It sounds like you had an awesome time at all three shows! How wonderful that you got to do the ILAA party at all three! Fantastic seats and a great view of the guys including Will! You lucky girl! :thumbsup:

Your pics are outstanding. If there was any disappointment for me in St. Louis at all, it was not being able to take pics. There's no hiding in the front row, is there?

Thanks so much for sharing all of that with us! I know you will always cherish those memories. :nod:

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Great review, great photos. Thanks Steph!

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes, Steph. Since none of us got pictures in Chicago your pictures and others that posted pictures of this tour are going to help me relive my concert, that is until the DVD is released (and there will be a DVD). :pray:

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 01:06 PM
PM - Maleah told me she got 300 photos!!!!!!!!!!! She promised to post the best of them. I can't wait!

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 01:09 PM
PM - Maleah told me she got 300 photos!!!!!!!!!!! She promised to post the best of them. I can't wait!

Good deal! I can't wait either!

glenneaglesfan
09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Wow, Steph, thanks for your awesome reviews and pics! I'm so glad you had a good time, despite the weather, and a wave from Will is priceless!

StephUK
09-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow, Steph, thanks for your awesome reviews and pics! I'm so glad you had a good time, despite the weather, and a wave from Will is priceless!

A wave from Will IS priceless; getting a little smile is EVEN MORE priceless - as I said, he doesn't smile often when he's on stage(he's Mr Serious).

I'll never forget that evening.

Steph

DonFan
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Steph, I am so glad you had such a terrific time at your concerts!

Freypower
09-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for your great reviews and photos Steph.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Steph - That was an incredible review and pictures. Thanks and I am so glad that you got to go these shows. Too bad one of your shows was canceled because of the hurricane, but it looks like the other three more than made up for it.