PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia, PA 07-09-03

DonFan
11-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Then, philly.com posted a series of reviews written about different Eagles' performances in Philly over the years. I thought it was interesting to read about the changes in the lineup and songs, but some of the reviewers' remarks have been quite scathing against the guys, however. I never cease to be amazed at the number of reviewers who are predisposed to hate the Eagles.

This first review I could've done without. But for completists:

Aging Eagles make no variations in their flight pattern
By David Hiltbrand
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Originally Published on July 10, 2003

The Eagles have become something of a three-fer in concert. You get the legendary pop group's deep catalog, and as bonuses they throw in solo gems from Don Henley and Joe Walsh.

Now, would you pay $177.50 for a decent seat? A lot of people did on Tuesday night for the first of the group's two shows at the FirstUnionCenter. What they got was a musical diorama, all the hits exquisitely stuffed and mounted. The near-capacity crowd apparently appreciated the Eagles' exactitude, and cheered lustily when supplementary guitarist Steuart Smith re-created the solo on the 1979 tune "I Can't Tell You Why" note for note.

Though the performance felt over-rehearsed, vocally and instrumentally, the Eagles make excellent taxidermists. Well, except for Glenn Frey, who couldn't hit half the notes on "You Belong to the City. "

Time has been kinder to the band's sound than its appearance. Henley took to the stage in an old man's bunched-up pants that made him look like Ed Grimley. Walsh, his mane now completely white, could double for English actor David Warner. And with his moussed 'do, blue blazer and two-tone loafers, Frey appeared as though he had interrupted an important business call to take the stage. Even bass player Timothy B. Schmit looked a little wizened under the long hair.

Henley acknowledged the group members' ages. (All are either 54 or 55 years old. ) "We're not necessarily video material anymore," he said, introducing the night's one new song, the monotonous "Hole in the World. "

The show's first half was so mellow it was in danger of fermenting. At one point, as they stood in a line, strumming away on "Take It to the Limit," the Eagles resembled a bunch of bobbleheads staring out the rear window of a car.

Thank goodness for the wild card. Who would have imagined that old wastrel Walsh would be the band member with the most range and pep at this late stage in the game? He was the grenadine in the Eagles' watery "Tequila Sunrise. " Again and again, he jolted the First Union to life with his guitar antics on songs such as "In the City," "Walk Away," "Life's Been Good," "Funk #49," and "Rocky Mountain Way. "

On a very long, very civilized night of sounds-great/less-filling nostalgia, Walsh was the only Eagle who refused simply to go through the motions.

TimothyBFan
11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm with you DF--I could definitely do without that 2003 review!!:tonguewag: Geez!!:fingerwag: But interesting reading still I guess. Thanks for posting those.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Sometimes concert critics make me just wanna shake my head!!! :nope:

But, it is interesting to read, anyway. Thanks, DF.