PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA 10-18-07

EasyFeeling
10-19-2007, 05:10 AM
Found some pics from the Nokia show. :)

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&toggle=1&cop=mss&p=Eagles&fr=yfp-t-471&c=images

Glennsallnighter
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Lovely pics. Thanks EF! :D

Mrs Frey
10-19-2007, 07:24 AM
DF, thanks for reminding us about the Nokia theatre show. I wish I could've been there too! :cry:

EF, thanks for posting that link! I wish the pics were a bit bigger, but they look stunning. :smitten:

EasyFeeling
10-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Maybe someone can enlarge them <hint>. :wink:

sodascouts
10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks, EF! I won't have a chance to do anything with them myself this weekend because I'm going out of town, but perhaps when I get back. Anyway, I'll put your link on the main page!

DonFan
10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks to Karyn over on Eagleland, here is the set list from last night's show, which she said was fabulous:

Setlist:
1. How Long
2- Busy Being Fabulous
3. Tim's song-- I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
4. Guilty of the Crime
5. Hotel Califiornia
6. Peaceful Easy feeling
7. One of These Nights
8. Lyin'Eyes
9. Boys of Summer
10. In the City
11. The Long Run
12. Life's Been Good
13. Dirty Laundry
14. Funk 49
15. Heartache Tonight
16. Life in the Fast Lane
1st encore
17. Rocky Mountain Way
18. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
2nd encore
19. Take It Easy
20. Desperado

Pictures of the new venue look really great, and all the guys look wonderful too.
and.....Don was wearing black. 8)

sodascouts
10-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Wow, opening with four new songs, that's great! I expected them to do How Long and Guilty of the Crime, but I wasn't sure if Tim would get to do a song. I also wasn't sure what song Don would sing, but Busy Being Fabulous makes sense. After all, it's one of the ones they're promoting on their sites. I have to say I'm extremely surprised Glenn didn't play one of his new ones though. I imagine with the longer set list they will add at least one of them in.

Brooke
10-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Yay! Those photos are great EF! Thanks for finding those! :yay:

Joe is way out of character and looks great! :shock:

Glenn in plaid! :inlove:

Don in black! :smitten:

Tim! :inlove:

All good! <sigh>

I'm glad they did so many new songs, too, although I wish Glenn would have done one too.

glenneaglesfan
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Oooh, great photos, EF! Thanks for finding those. I especially like this one!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/nokia_13.jpg

Awesome setlist. As well as the new ones I like to see ASWTDID and RMW featuring in the first encore. I was sad when they dropped those two in Europe.

Perfect Little Sister
10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
I WAS IN AGONY LAST NIGHT !!!!!!!!

It was killing me! It's only a six hour drive from my house to the venue...and I wasn't there!!

:weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep:

sodascouts
10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Look, a Nokia concert review from the LA Times!

"Eagles. Dixie Chicks Throw Open Nokia's Doors" (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-eagles20oct20,0,2275615.story?coll=la-home-center)

Ive always been a dreamer
10-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I know just how you feel, PLS. I would so have loved to have been at the show. The guys look great. However, I kept talking myself out of going by telling myself, hopefully, next spring I will be able to go to a show that is all Eagles with a full set list, and a little bit cheaper priced ticket. I guess we'll see, won't we! :shock:

tbs fanatic
10-19-2007, 12:25 PM
A great review. I'd love to go to the Nokia it sounds amazing.

Brooke
10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
I felt the same way PLS! But the pics and reviews are helping me survive. They all look fabulous! :D

Perfect Little Sister
10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Disclaimer: Until I have that album in my hot little hands I cannot be held responsible for my behavior. Insanity due to Eagle deprivation is a medical condition and legally defensible.

10-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Excellent point, PLS. :D

Freypower
10-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I hate to be a downer but:

It's a good review, yes. But what a deeply conservative setlist. I suppose Glenn's 'new' song is How Long. He sang 5 songs, the same number as Joe. I'm sorry, but that is wrong. Presumably the acoustic set had to be dropped for time reasons. But most of it.... the same old, same old.

When is Don Henley going to play drums on a recent song? The only time he ever did it was on The Girl From Yesterday. I know people want to see him down the front but...

glenneaglesfan
10-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Here's another review of the concert. Seems like this reviewer was expecting more from the new album as well.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/10/eagles-and-chic.html

Eagles and Chicks help hatch L.A.'s Nokia Theatre
Oct 19, 2007, 06:31 PM | by Chris Willman

Categories: Music

The Eagles are effectively — or spiritually — L.A.'s house band, so it makes sense that they're the first band anybody wants to book for local milestone events. (Who else you gonna call, the Doors? The Beach Boys? Every other quintessential Angeleno act has long gone fishin'.) They played the turn-of-the-millennium gig at the city's Staples Center almost eight years ago, and here they were literally just yards away from Staples on Thursday night, playing the opening night of the Nokia Theatre, a 7,100-seater that's looking to become Southern California's primary concert hall. The Nokia, a $100-million undertaking in itself, is part of the billion-dollar L.A. Live complex that is being billed as the city's answer to Times Square. (You may wonder how a privately owned outdoor mall can be the equivalent to Times Square, but as my New York friends remind me, Times Square is easily mistaken for a mall nowadays, so why sweat the difference?)

I had a secret hope that the Eagles would play Don Henley's brilliant "The Last Resort," from the Hotel California album, as a bittersweetly ironic commentary on this arguably much-needed but controversial downtown L.A. development. But instead, they played Joe Walsh's "In the City," while behind them, on truly gigantic video screens, played several minutes of footage of urban street scenes... shot in New York City. Now, maybe this was the band's wry of saying, hey, you may try to rebuild Times Square in L.A., but you'll never beat New York at its own game. Or, more probably, the irony of visually celebrating New York on a night that was supposed to be a triumphant moment for li'l old Los Angeles was completely inadvertent.

The Eagles may be headlining this six-night run of shows, but, as the opening act, the Dixie Chicks (pictured) got the first performance in at the new theater. (The Chicks most recently headlined the 20,000-seat Staples Center themselves, so this was clearly a no-expenses-spared night as far as talent acquisition went.) Great minds must think alike, because I had no sooner gotten to my seat and looked out over the vast expanse of the auditorium, thinking, "This is one hell of a wide-open space," when the band came out and sang, as their opening song... you guessed it, "Wide Open Spaces." There's something about the Nokia's layout and scope that creates the illusion that it holds about twice as many people as the 7K it does. Very few of the seats are in the smallish balcony and loge areas. And there's no amphitheatre-style tiered seating; the orchestra section that's responsible for at least 90% of the seats stretches out on one long, relatively smooth plane, as if you're looking at a gigantic wheat field where every golden stalk just happens to be a placidly drunk 48-year-old reliving his youth. But in spite of that seeming hugeness, "no seat is further from the stage than 220 feet" (as the publicity keeps reminding us), and the sightlines are nothing to complain about, even in that seemingly far-off balcony, as I determined from a brief visit to the back row.

In the sense that tech people are always looking for a device that will be "an iPod-killer," the Nokia is clearly designed to be a Gibson Amphitheatre-killer — which is to say, the clear desire here was to create a hall that will steal business away from the 6,000-seat venue formerly known as the Universal Amphitheatre. Will it succeed in that particular venue-hicular homicide? Hard to say, but it is a given that more and more awards shows will gravitate here (the American Music Awards are already booked, and the Emmys are rumored to be ready to defect). Two good reasons it'll attract lots of kudocasts in years to come: The Nokia has bragging rights to the largest stage in L.A., period, which will make for quick, TV-friendly changeovers, And those extra thousand seats it holds on the Gibson or the Shrine means that awards shows hosted by guilds or other membership orgs can get an extra thousand of their needy members in, along with all the requisite celebrities.

It's probably been a while since the Dixie Chicks played an opening gig, or gave any performance where much of the audience was still stumbling around trying to find their seats well into their set. In fact, they delayed the start time by over 20 minutes, which may have explained Natalie Maines' initially subdued mood. Apparently there was some anxiety in the dressing room. "I blame you for my hair," Maines told the audience a few songs in, referring to her unusually elevated, almost beehive-ish 'do. "The later you were, the higher it got. I call it my sober Amy Winehouse." (Well, now that she mentioned it...) "Only in L.A. would people spend $300 a ticket and be half an hour late," she added. The first two-thirds of their hour-long set was comprised of oldies (except for a newly minted cover of Patty Griffin's "Mary"), before they wrapped things up with four songs from last year's Grammy-hoarding Taking the Long Way. "It was fun," Maines said at the end, nearly seeming to shrug her shoulders, as if she wasn't quite sure they'd completely regained their footing after the layoff. "We haven't played since the Grammys... I just like reminding everybody about the Grammys." You could sense some audience uncertainty during their set, just pertaining to the vibe of the room: Is this the kind of rock 'n' roll concert hall where we're allowed to stand up, or a classier joint where we're supposed to sit on our well-manicured hands? What finally got folks on their feet wasn' a rocker but a thoroughly impassioned reading of "Not Ready to Make Nice," Maines' "I refuse to have makeup sex with my conservative detractors" anthem, which went down in history as the hall's first standing-O.

There was a kind of symmetry to the way the Chicks ended their set with four songs from their latest album and how the Eagles started their two-hour set with four songs from Long Road Out of Eden, which comes out Oct. 30. I've had the chance to preview that new release (a 20-song, two-CD affair that will be sold only in Wal-Mart and on the group's website) a couple of times, but I haven't logged enough miles with it to let it sit and figure how it might settle in with the rest of the band's oeuvre. So I figured that, in concert, the band might make a convincing case for the best new songs fitting in among their classics. But that wasn't to be, as the group simply stopped playing any new material after that initial four-song teaser and instead went straight into a greatest-hits set for the remainder of the two hours. Of the four fresh songs they did play, three were among the new album's most lightweight: the J.D. Souther cover "How Long"; a Paul Carrack cover that gives Timothy B. Schmit a chance to sing something as close to "I Can't Tell You Why" as humanly possible; an enjoyably throwaway Joe Walsh number. Only "Busy Being Fabulous," a characteristically caustic Don Henley kiss-off ballad, gave any hint that there might be any ambition to the album at all (which there actually is, as you might guess from that title).

In lieu of being a showcase for the new album, then, the band was content to party like it's 1999 — that is, to play much the same show that they did next door at Staples at the turn of the millennium. This was another Eagles show that — for better and worse — bordered on being "The Joe Walsh Show, Featuring the Eagles," with an inordinate amount of the crowd-pleasing spotlight positions given over to non-Eagles Walsh songs like "Rocky Mountain Way," "Life's Been Good," and "Funk 49." This is in marked contrast to the new album, where Walsh sings and writes just one number out of 20. The loquacious Henley spoke not a word all night, as if to indicate that he is just a contented cog in this extremely well-oiled oldies machine, while Glenn Frey did the emcee duties and Walsh cracked the occasional joke. Fans hardly seemed to mind the classic-rock orientation of the show — the band does have one of the great pop song canons of the 20th century — but anyone wanting to know what the Eagles have to say in or about 2007 will have to wait and hit Wal-Mart in a week and a half.

DonFan
10-21-2007, 03:44 PM
When is Don Henley going to play drums on a recent song? The only time he ever did it was on The Girl From Yesterday. I know people want to see him down the front but...

You answered your own question. People (yes, me included) want to see him down front. ALso I read a quote from Don not long ago that said he had reached the age where he liked singing down front better than "sitting in the back banging on the tubs."

Freypower
10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
That's fine for solo shows. However, nominally Don is still the Eagles' drummer. We know he played drums on the new album (I read the credits elsewhere) and you would think he would want to prove that he can still cut it. I honestly don't think it would hurt him to play drums on the new songs that he doesn't sing, even if he doesn't want to play drums and sing lead.

That review sums up how I felt about the setlist. The second half of the show with all the Don and Joe solo songs has become very stale.

DF, I am not criticising Don's solo songs here. I would like to hear his new songs (drums or no drums).

I hope this setlist was an aberration and it will be worked on. Because quite frankly if this is what they will be offering when they come to Australia I doubt I will be paying $550 to see it.

Mrs Frey
10-22-2007, 06:38 AM
Look, a Nokia concert review from the LA Times!

"Eagles. Dixie Chicks Throw Open Nokia's Doors" (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-eagles20oct20,0,2275615.story?coll=la-home-center)

Soda, thanks so much for posting this link. I enjoyed reading this enthusiastic review. The accompanying photo is lovely, too. Oh, how I wish I could have been there! :(

Mrs Frey
10-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Disclaimer: Until I have that album in my hot little hands I cannot be held responsible for my behavior. Insanity due to Eagle deprivation is a medical condition and legally defensible.

:rofl: PLS, you crack me up!

Spare a thought for me, though - I'm still living in hope that The Eagles will include South Africa on their list of countries to tour next year :pray:. Otherwise, I'll have to make that European, or English, or Irish, trip...

South Africa seems to be very popular with international artists right now: we have Enrique Iglesias, Gladys Knight and Mary J Blige here, all at the same time. Elton John and Celine Dion are on their way early next year, too. I want THE EAGLES, darn it! :brickwall:

Mrs Frey
10-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I hate to be a downer but:

It's a good review, yes. But what a deeply conservative setlist. I suppose Glenn's 'new' song is How Long. He sang 5 songs, the same number as Joe. I'm sorry, but that is wrong. Presumably the acoustic set had to be dropped for time reasons. But most of it.... the same old, same old.

FP, I agree with you wholeheartedly about Glenn :heart: only singing 5 songs. In my mind, Glenn :heart: is as strong a singer as Don, and deserves an equal share of the vocals. I loved HFO, but at the same time was disappointed that Glenn :heart: only performed three songs. He is a wonderful singer, and extremely versatile, as anyone who appreciates his solo output knows. He puts a rocker over as well as a ballad, not to mention his country-flavoured and blues offerings. I would also like to see Glenn :heart: including more of his solo material in the Eagles' set lists. I reckon that what's good for Don and Joe is also good for Glenn :heart:. I'm sure that songs such as "Smuggler's Blues" (we all know that this song has been featured in an Eagles set list before) and "The Heat Is On" would go over a treat with fans.

However, FP, as much as I would love to hear The Eagles performing their new material, having never had the privilege of seeing them live, I would not have a problem with them singing their "Greatest Hits" at all. A good mixture of the two would be great, along with solo offerings from Glenn :heart:, Don and Joe. Having said that, I do understand your viewpoint, having seen them several times before, and not wanting to hear the same songs if you get another chance to see them, especially at A$550 a ticket :shock:.

I also enjoy seeing Don play drums, but he has become a terrific performer over the years, and it's great to see him upfront, too. I suppose a balance is what's needed here.

GEF, thanks for posting that interesting review. I suppose we all have our opinions, but whatever their set list, I am sure that I would not be disappointed by The Eagles, as they are such a well-oiled performing machine, and simply brilliant. There is no band in the world today that can touch them, IMHO.

Brooke
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm glad they are doing some of their new ones, but I think they will have to mix them in rather than doing 4 in a row. When people don't know the song, they tend to get bored.

Now me, I would NEVER be bored by Eagles music! But that's just me! :wink: :lol:

glenneaglesfan
10-23-2007, 03:03 AM
There are some pictures from the second night Nokia concert here:

http://iluvshania831.livejournal.com/169087.html

Brooke
10-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Some nice pictures there. Thanks gef!

EasyFeeling
10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the link, GEF. Cool pics. 8)

Glennsallnighter
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Nice pics GEF. I like Glenn :heart: 's outfit in them.

Freypower
10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
These are just great but I can't save them as .jpg files, and if I save them as .bmp files they're blank. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38477231@N00/sets/72157602626801887/

10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Wow - they sure are great, FP. Gorgeous is more like it! :wink: Thanks for the link!

Sexy Girl
10-24-2007, 02:17 AM
These are just great but I can't save them as .jpg files, and if I save them as .bmp files they're blank. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38477231@N00/sets/72157602626801887/

Here you go - enjoy :D

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/SexyGirlMag/nokia20071021_20.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/SexyGirlMag/nokia20071021_31.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x37/SexyGirlMag/nokia20071021_36.jpg

glenneaglesfan
10-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Oooh, SG, those are terrific! Any chance you can do a few more of them? I had the same problem as Fp. Thanks for the link, Fp.

Mrs Frey
10-24-2007, 07:37 AM
WOAH! :smitten: :drool: :bow: Those are magnificent! Thanks so much for posting those, SG!

FP, thanks for posting the link!

Perfect Little Sister
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Holy Cow! :woah:
Thanks for the link FP and for the ones you posted SG. There are some really great pics in there. I love the one of Al's hands on the trumpet...assuming it's Al. Regardless, it's a great pic. Love the drummer face on the b/w of Don. Oh I have to go look again! :laugh:
I just love Glenn's outfit.

EasyFeeling
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Me too, he looks gorgeous in that blue striped shirt. :D
Thanks for the link FP and SG for posting these :drool: -pictures. I also would love to see more of them. :D :wink:

Oh, I forgot to say: I love your avatar, PLS, very cute. :D

Maleah
10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I love Glenn's shirt!

Brooke
10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm with you guys! Love the av and the shirt! :D

Freypower
10-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Thank you SG. If you could do some others it would be appreciated. I love that shirt.

Sexy Girl
10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
I'm sorry but today photobucket isn't cooperative at all. Don't know if they have server problems or whatever but I can't upload one single photo :evil:

Maybe Nancy can upload a few more, I think she knows how to save those flickr photos. Anyone else?

sodascouts
11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I received this review from "Ordinary Average Guy":

So I arrived at the Nokia Theatre in Downtown LA a little late around 8:40, Even with the Clippers
basketball game going on traffic and parking was rather easy. The Nokia Theatre what can I say what an
impressive venue. My Guest and myself walked in and an easy time finding out seats in the loge section
of the Nokia Theatre. The Dixie Chicks were on stage doing their set the crowd was quite lively and the
theater inside was amazing. The Dixie Chicks played up until about 9:15 or so I had stepped out in the
midst of their set to get something to eat. There was a brief break between the Dixie Chicks and The
Eagles.

Around 9:40 the silhouettes of the Eagles could be seen walking onto stage and just a few minutes later
The Eagles started off their set with How Long. The crowd was excited to see them but was kind in the sit
back and listen mode for the first couple of songs from Eden. The band sounded great Don, Glenn, Tim
and Joe sounded great and the acoustics inside were awesome. All four were upfront standing, playing
and singing. After How Long the band promptly kicked into Busy Being Fabulous Don sounded really
great during this song. Before going into I Don’t Want to Hear Any More Glenn spoke and said hello to
everyone thanking and welcoming them for coming out to see them in the new Nokia Theatre. Glenn
than introduced Timothy who said Hello and then went into I Don’t Want to Hear Any More. Tim sang it
very eloquently. After I Don’t Want to Hear Any More it was Joe’s turn to sing with Guilty of the crime.
Joe was quite animated tonight. After the band finished doing their Eden set they kicked into Hotel
California with the trumpet solo by Al Garth. Hotel California was the first song that had Don behind his
drum set. Hotel California simply rocked the Eagles were accompanied by 7,100 people singing along.
After Hotel California things really got cranking. The crowd was really alive tonight. After Hotel California
the band went into Peaceful Easy Feeling and One of these nights. Before the band performed Lyin' Eyes
Glenn took a minute to talk about the Fire Storm that has been going on around Southern California. He
announced the Eagles as well as AEG will be making a significant contribution to help those affected by
the fires. Glenn dedicated Lyin' Eyes to his Ex-Wife Plaintiff much to the crowd's delight. With the crowd
alive and rocking it was evident the Eagles were also feeding off the energy from the crowd and were
really rocking. With each song the crowd became more and more alive. After Lyin' Eyes Don came up
front and sang Boys of Summer. Don as did the rest of the band sounded great though he didn’t do much
talking.

After Boys of Summer they kicked into In the city and The Long run and the crowd was loving every
minute of it. People were up out of their seats dancing. After The Long Run Glenn introduced the backup
band including I guess a new keyboard player in addition to Will Hollis and Michael Thompson. The Mighty
Horn Section was present this time with different hats. Joe came out with his Helmet cam and he and
Glenn chatted for a bit than Joe explained why he had a construction worker's helmet on. During Life’s
Been Good Joe made another reference to the Lakers stinking without Shaq much to the delight of the
crowd. Dirty Laundry saw Don dedicate it to Nancy Grace. During the guitar solo the band gathered in
the middle of the stage. Joe started to jump up and down then the rest of the band joined in. The band
was really in a great mood tonight lots of energy and had lots of fun on stage. After Dirty Laundry came
a really enthusiastic Funk 49 followed by Heartache Tonight. The crowd was on their feet dancing and
signing during Heartache Tonight, though Glenn did not hug himself like he does in Farewell 1. Life in the
fast lane was next and was simply awesome. After fast lane the band set down their instruments and
walked off stage. They came out a few minutes later for their only encore for which they played Take it
Easy and Desperado. After the band left the stage after Desperado the crowd did not immediately leave
thinking there was maybe one more encore but when the house lights came on - that was the end.

It was a terrific show; the band sounded great; the crowd was alive; I had a great time and I came away
very impressed with the Nokia Theatre.

sodascouts
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I received this review from Jim:

The Nokia Center is a wonderful place to see a concert. It holds a little over 7,000 people. Friday night's concert was great. The Dixie Chicks opened and were pretty good but I'm not very familiar with their stuff.

The Eagles came on around 9:30(just as Jack Nicholson strolled in with a babe in one arm and a bottle in the other) They opened with four songs off their new CD. Each member sang a cut off the new CD. They then went to Hotel California and that brought the crowd to its feet. They played most of the cuts off their farewell concert CD and the crowd went nuts. They played one encore set finishing up with Desperado. The crowd wanted another encore set and when the lights went on a large BOOO was heard around the venue. They played for over 2 hours. A really enjoyable show. JM

glenneaglesfan
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh, thanks for those reviews, Soda, especially the first one . It's so good to hear the first hand experience, and that guy, OAG, sounds like a true fan. Loved that bit about them jumping in Dirty Laundry! Also good to hear that they are supporting victims of the wildfires.

11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the reviews from me too, OAG and Jim. It's great to hear from other fans who were lucky enough to be at one of the shows. Still keeping fingers crossed for a tour next year.

tbs fanatic
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Great reviews and pics. I so want to see a concert at the Nokia now.