PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma City, OK 08-05-07

DonFan
08-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Don at the OKC Zoo Amphitheater.

Different night, different audience, different show. To begin with, it was HOT. Of course, Don was hot 8) , but this is an outside amphitheater and it must've been 98 degrees that night. All the performers were red-faced from the heat, and much of the audience was consuming massive quantities of beer to cool off. We bought VIP seats which gave us entry to a private shaded deck beside the stage where they were selling hamburgers and drinks, and we actually watched part of Lucinda William's opening set from backstage. We saw Scott Crago and Will Hollis coming in and out of the performers' trailers and got a wave and a smile.

Thankfully it was dark, although not a lot cooler, by the time Don took the stage at 9 p.m.--no black this time, he was wearing his familiar brown plaid shirt. I still love the black Converse sneakers though! He said "Hello Oklahoma," and then sang "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains." Both nights he had similar comments about dedicating Dirty Laundry to either Rupert Murdoch--"I guess we will be seeing nekkid pictures in the Wall Street Journal now" or Nancy Grace--"It is ironic that that woman has 'Grace' in her name." He also joked that his new favorite song was "Spider Pig," which meant nothing to me until someone explained it is in the new Simpsons movie.

We had seats on the third row, left hand side, right in front of Will Hollis, who recognized us and grinned and winked at us several times. He is a real cutie. I loved being so close to the stage and took a bunch of pictures, but I felt so bad when Don said, after about the 4th song, "Y'know, I don't mind two or three photos per song, but could all of you please put your cameras away now? It is very distracting." :blush: I immediately complied. Anyway, Don told a long story before "Last Worthless Evening" which went something like this: "This song was inspired by a party I went to in L.A. I was in love with an actress who shall remain nameless because she is now married with several children. I was trying to talk to her at this party and she wouldn't give me the time of day. She was sitting with Jack Nicholson and he wasn't getting anywhere with her either. I finally asked her if she had a cigarette--and I didn't even smoke!" (Laughter.) "So she gave me one--like this..." he stuck his arm out as far away as possible. (More laughter.) "And I went home and wrote this song."

He sang the beautiful new version of EOI again that night too--he has GOT to record that! It is simply beautiful! And he sang another song that was new to me, "I'm the Fool," saying it was by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. (Unfortunately the drunks behind us didn't know it either and decided to talk all the way through it, something that became very irritating because it happened all too often throughout the entire night. :roll:) He sang Everybody Wants to Rule the World again--one of my new favorites--and his encore was HC and Desperado again.

We cheered until he returned and walked to the mic with his finger to his lips. When everyone quieted down a bit, he said, "We are going to do two more songs for you--first a ballad, and then we are going to rock out again." The ballad was David Gray's gorgeous "Disappearing World," and he said that song was "very personal" to him. I LOVED it. After it was over he looked up the the bright spotlight beaming down on him and said "I need sunscreen." His cheeks were bright red and sweat was rolling down his face (ours too) throughout the night. Then he absolutely rocked out to I Will Not Go Quietly. 8) 8) Unbelievable! At the end of the show, he said "Thanks Oklahoma! Enjoy your party!"

We were drenched with sweat and absolutely hoarse from screaming for two solid nights. What a fantastic time!

Brooke
08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, great review, DonFan! Sounds like 2 wonderful nights! I'm so :jealous:

Glad you all had such a good time and Don was rockin'! 8)

sodascouts
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the reviews. Man, I so wish I could have gone to OKC, too! How cool to hear those special songs! Glad you had such a great time - but then again I knew you would! ;)

Freypower
08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm glad he did a Knopfler song. How ironic it is one I don't know that well because it is on the first solo album, Golden Heart, and I only got that recently. It sounds like the semi-accapella version of EOTI was a real treat.

glenneaglesfan
08-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Df, thank you so much for those reviews. It sounds like both shows were completely awesome, and great that Don mixed it a little bit with some different songs each night, and love those little stories he told.
I'm glad you had such a good time! 8)

Maleah
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
man......I REALLY wish I could go see the man! lol It sounds like it was amazing! I had to laugh at where you said you felt really bad about taking pics DF.........I'd have been so stinkin' intimidated by the man that I wouldn't have had my camera out the rest of the night! :lol: Heck.......I probably wouldn't even have dared to take one before THAT! lol!

sodascouts
08-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I was scared to take a photo, too, especially when I was up close. I tried to take it when he was looking straight ahead instead of directly at me (at this point I was at his feet, to the right, up at the stage) in order to avoid any dirty looks. I got off one photo but it didn't come out. :(

DonFan
08-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone--it truly was an amazing weekend. And now, to come back to the news about the Eagles/Chicks concert in October--that is exciting as well! I am really hoping that the release of the new album will be Oct 30 as they originally said.

Several of my pictures from Sunday night came out halfway decent, but I don't have a scanner--Soda, when you get back from your trip, can I mail you copies and then you can post them?

sodascouts
08-08-2007, 02:13 PM
No problem, Dana. I'd love to!

freyfanatic
08-09-2007, 03:02 AM
awesome reviews DF! thanks a bunches :D

Selena
08-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Great reviews ladies, thanks so much and am glad y'all had such a wonderful time at the shows. I'd chop off my right arm to see a solo Don show (well not really but you know what I mean!!) Maybe one day.....

EasyFeeling
08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm a bit late on this... shame on me. :blush:

I enjoyed your wonderful reviews, thanks Soda and DF! :D It must be great to see him live and I especially would love to see him performing the solo songs.