PDA

View Full Version : Jeans or Suits?

Brooke
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Ok, there's been much discussion here on the Jeans or Suits issue. Let's take it to a vote.

Add your comments too.

Personally, I like my rock stars in jeans or whatever they happened to wear in the day of their huge success. The Eagles nearly always wore jeans back in the day. Faded, ripped, torn, patched (my personal favorite on young Glenn :wink:), black, dark wash. Whatever. They were blue jeans, and they were cool.

I'm not saying they don't look good in the suits because they do, but they look like insurance salesmen or ceo's heading to the board room. They don't look like rock stars.

No matter what, I love them and I'll take whatever I can get, but I love the Eagles in jeans! :nod:

EagleLady
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree, I prefer them in Jeans and T-shirts :nod:

tbs fanatic
03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Yep, one more vote for the jeans.

Prettymaid
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Here is a Joe Walsh interview in which he addresses the suits.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/article/as-one-of-the-eagles-joe-walsh-goes-along-to-get-along/

----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Joe. I know I feel a certain way when I'm dressed professionally and another way when I'm in my favorite pair of jeans. I think this will go down as a bad decision and hopefully, if they ever tour again they will learn the lesson!

Freypower
03-09-2009, 06:34 PM
They didn't wear suits during the HFO period. They wore jeans the whole time. During F1 they tended to wear more formal clothes in the first half of the show and then change to jeans.

I voted for 'both as in HFO' (sic) but then I realised I should have voted for the suits out of loyalty to Glenn. The fact that I am in a very small minority doesn't bother me. I don't think there has to be this 'rock stars should only wear jeans' thing. Glenn looks superb in a suit. That is undeniable, I'm afraid. Also, I have yet to see this sight and I need to see it live before I can say that I dislike it.

I do see where other people are coming from but I'll just stick to my own lonely path. So although there are no 'suit' votes because I made a mistake, you can count me as a 'suit' person.

EagleLady
03-09-2009, 06:42 PM
I have to say that they look more like Rock stars in Jeans and T-Shirts and that makes them HSG, But I'll take them anyway I can

Troubadour
03-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I voted jeans. I don't dislike suits, nor do I think the guys look bad in them, but to me, they look too formal and stiff. Especially when performing songs like LITFL. It just looks incongruous.

I am biased because I love the casual look, especially on Don - plaid, workboots, henleys, jeans - but I think the guys all have their own styles and wearing uniform black suits quashes this. If they were to do what they did in F1 - first half more formal, second half casual - I would be thrilled. F1 was only a few years ago; they could still wear those clothes and look fantastic.

Brooke
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM
They didn't wear suits during the HFO period. They wore jeans the whole time. During F1 they tended to wear more formal clothes in the first half of the show and then change to jeans.

Oops! I knew that. I was thinking Farewell 1 and typing HFO when I did that. Grrrrrr. :doh:

Soda, if you can correct the poll it would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for confusing everyone.

sodascouts
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I took care of it, Brooke. No biggie.

I voted for both - that way, we keep everybody happy.

Koala
03-10-2009, 03:14 AM
I like the suits of the F1 Tour however the black suits of the LROOE Tour am simply too boring and stiff. I like both jeans and suit, nevertheless I vote for the jeans! That looks simply cooler!

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Need I say which one I voted for? :hilarious:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Probably not a huge shock, but I also voted for the jeans. I'm like Brooke in that I remember the days when the guys would have laughed at the thought of themselves in a suit. Also, like troub said, I prefer it when the guys express their individuality in their style of dress. I didn't mind the F1 with the more casual suits in the first half, but the stiff white shirt and black tie uniformed look is simply out of place for a rock concert, IMHO. If this is Glenn's idea as Joe said (and I have no doubt that it is), then I hope he gets the message that almost no one likes the suits. Hopefully, he will eventually see the light.

melrose
03-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm a jeans girl, what can I say? They look great in their suits, but they look even better in their own styles. I think the concerts feel more intimate when the guys are dressed however they choose. But then again, they could all wear orange camo and I would still think they look great. ;)

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Well, not one person has picked suits so far.... even Freypower admits she only advocates them out of some sense of loyalty to Glenn (which I guess makes me "disloyal" - mmmkay).

But apparently the guys care little for public opinion in this matter! They have known for a long time that almost NOBODY likes the suits - that the audience's reaction is usually "Why are the Eagles dressed like they just attended a funeral???" - yet they persist.

A quote from Rolling Stone's 1979 article on the Eagles:

Steve Miller, the opening act [for the Eagles], takes the stage to a big ovation from the Milwaukee teenagers. Azoff, behind a stack of speakers, gives them the finger. "Look at that guy," he spits, indicating Miller's short hair and conservative dress. "He even looks like an accountant."And we call this.... irony. lol

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Tho I thought it was good the way they did the split with dressier outfits (of their choice!!!) to start and then the comfy clothes to finish, I'm with the Jeans crew :thumbsup:. How could you not love them in jeans ,well worn, soft, snug (or tight) fitting-- Whee there's a picture worth a million bucks:hilarious:! Nuf said.

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
We need to send the results of our very scientific poll here, along with the above quote and any others we can uncover to the Eagles ATTN: GLENN FREY because I am pretty sure this is all his doing.

03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Well - I guess you need to count me among the disloyal, too. :nahnah:

I also meant to mention that even in the latter stages of the F1 tour, they ditched the suits completely. I believe it was starting with the California leg of the tour, but it was jeans all the way. I remember in both Oakland and Sacramento that they wore their jeans the entire show (except for Joe who wore whatever the hell he wanted to). They only changed their shirts for the second half.

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I present in to evidence...

exhibit #1
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/Eagles81.jpg

exhibit #2
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/Eagles67.jpg

exhibit #3
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/Eagles60.jpg

And if that don't clinch it--EXHIBIT #4 SURELY WILL
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/TimothyBSchmit114.jpg

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm afraid Don has responded to these complaints already (starting at about 0:50):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vn9rDKgZLE

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I think so too TBF, but then I think ALL major decisions are Glen's from what I can decern from interviews and comments from the other guys. If he had to choose a suit there were much better ones out there believe me! If they are going for the successful look I think they missed the boat on that one :eyebrow:. I think they would be more comfortable in something more casual even if it was a suit, this one is just too restricted :sad:.

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
You know, I could actually be down with the suits if they'd just take off those ties and unbutton a bit. The ties totally kill it for me.... my DAD owns ties like that. A rock star at a concert should never be dressing like my dad when he went to work as Regional VP of ExxonMobil, Saudi Arabian division! That's just WRONG!

P.S. Don says he's "read a lot of crap on the internet" about the suits..... here's hoping he means online newspaper reviews and not the opinions of his fans!

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
P.S. Don says he's "read a lot of crap on the internet" about the suits..... here's hoping he means online reviews and not the opinions of his fans!

I hate to say it, and at the risk of some backlash here-I get the impression that Don & Glenn really don't care so much about what the fans might think or say, as long as we are forking out the BIG $ for the tickets.

If they cared, I think things would be a little different, such as ticket prices and the way they dress on stage. For him to admit that he has read a lot of "crap" on the internet-kind of says it all to me. I agree there is a lot of "crap" written about them but for the most part, I haven't seen anyone, rather it be fan or reviewer, that likes the suits but yet they persist they want to "look their age". That also goes for the price of the ticket, haven't seen anyone that agrees that those tickets should be that high and that it is ok, but we go ahead and pay it because we haven't got a choice if we are true fans and want to see them. I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that Tim & Joe would much rather dress casual and would be much more comfortable doing so--but I don't really think the "other half of the team" cares one iota. If they say wear suits--you wear suits-PERIOD!

Just MHO--sorry if I once again offended anyone here. (take into consideration I am a wee bit bitter right now because the whole Indy thing-I have convinced myself if that ticket was less $-I would of left for home at 3 in the morning to get back home for the following days appointment:-().

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Wahoo The evidence Always wins:hilarious: and boy did you post some Hot evidence,TBF !! Keep that evidence coming :thumbsup:.

Wonder if the comment about trying to look like teenagers was cause of some of Joe's livelier outfits??:eyebrow: They didn't look like teenagers they looked casual and comfortable :-( with jeans or slacks just look at the evidence TBF presented!! I got news for Don, 60 yr old men wear a lot of things and most of them aren't suits :nahnah:.At that age they can't wait to dump the suits the've worn them for too long and now just want to feel relaxed and comfortable:partytime:
Really confused :confused: where Don's take on how they looked in jeans is coming from??

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I understand the frustrations - I feel them too - but I have seen evidence that Glenn and the guys do care about their fans! They just rarely put the fans' desires before their own.

03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Don says he's "read a lot of crap on the internet" about the suits..... here's hoping he means online reviews and not the opinions of his fans!

I also hope that it wasn't the fan's opinions that Don was referring to as 'crap'. I actually hope they do read the fan's opinions. After all, our opinions should count for something. Like Soda, I do believe that they care about their fans.

A couple of other comments about Don's remarks. He says if suits were good enough for The Beatles, then they are good enough for the Eagles. Remember, Don, The Beatles dropped the suits too.

Don also says there's nothing more pathetic than a bunch of 60 year old guys prancing around as teenagers. Surely Don (and Glenn), you do not believe that jeans are only for teenagers. :brickwall:

EagleLady
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
One thing about Don is he is very opinionated

TimothyBFan
03-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I understand the frustrations - I feel them too - but I have seen evidence that Glenn and the guys do care about their fans! They just don't put the fans' desires before their own.

As in "their own", who are we referring too? I truly believe if they had all taken a vote including the whole backup band and all, that jeans or casual would win out. I choose to believe this is a Glenn and Don thing. I also believe that they do care about their fans but believe you are right that it comes down to "them" in the long run.

Dreamer--you are so right--let's also not forget that when the Beatles were wearing suits, it was a whole different time!

TG-I'm with you- Confused! I have to also wonder how Joe felt when Don said that. Did he want to say "I'm guilty of the crime". :brickwall:

All in all--I still love Glenn & Don---But Don if you are reading my "crap" -loosen up dude!!:hilarious:

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Saw an interview with Timothy and he was asked about not having much imput or say in the bad and boy did he tip toe around that question like it was a snake!! He basically said that when you join a band that you had no part in forming then you pretty much have to just go with what the founders want and learn to live with it! (Sigh) sometimes wonder if he wouldn't have been happier staying with POCO and if he regrets that decision now!?! He used to have a lot more of a say in what went down and got to write songs and sing them more. Oh well that's water under the dam at this point:-( I just don't see that he is really appreciated or valued the way he should be. He brings a lot to the band I think!

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, Tim was dissatisfied with Poco in the seventies - he complained that they weren't going anywhere. He was willing to sacrifice creative control in order to be a part of a band that WAS going somewhere... the Eagles were the biggest band in the country at the time along with Fleetwood Mac. Imagine his dismay when it went kaput only a couple years later - and at that point, Poco didn't want him back.

Years of hard living taught Tim to appreciate the value of a dollar. He looks at his bank account and is satisfied with how things are. Poco isn't bringing in nearly those kind of numbers. I'm not just speculating here - Tim has stated himself that he's cool with the situation, that he feels "lucky" to be a part of the Eagles. He uses his solo albums as outlets for his creativity. Yeah, I'm sure he's not thrilled when he's told his material isn't up to Eagles standards (as he says in 60 Minutes, "Why don't you like my songs?"), but I guess he also recognizes that the way Glenn and Don have done things have made the Eagles the most successful rock band in history.

Peekaboo
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I voted for Both. The guys definitely look great in jeans but i'm one that digs the suits too. I agree that they could lose the ties and unbutton a few but I think they still look pretty darn good in the suits. If they want to wear suits, I'll take 'em in the suits. If they want to go with jeans, I'll take 'em in just jeans....oops, i mean i like them in the comfortable clothes too. Hehe!!

Freypower
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
OK.... regarding the comments that I only expressed a preference for the suits out of loyalty to Glenn, this is part of the story but not the whole story. The way I wrote it did give that impression, but it isn't correct. I repeat.... I like the suits, particularly on Glenn. I am not attempting to imply that his other fans are being 'disloyal' to him because they do not like the suits.

However I believe in his right to make decisions and he has made this one. I would rather support it than be critical of him. We will never know what prompted him to make it, because he does not give interviews and therefore I would prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is my own opinion and I realise that it is not shared by others. As far as I am concerned, if Glenn were to revert to wearing jackets and shirts over jeans, I would be happy (I think the open shirt over T shirt and jeans is as conservative and 'middle aged' as the suits). But if he chooses to wear a suit, I have to hope that I will see this at some time. Please remember that I am one of the few people remaining on this board who has not seen this tour, and I want to see him wearing a suit. Again I state that I understand everyone else's preference for jeans, but I have seen the jeans. The only thing I would agree with wholeheartedly that when all four of them wear suits they do look a bit like they are in uniform.

tbsfan
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, Tim was dissatisfied with Poco in the seventies - he complained that they weren't going anywhere. He was willing to sacrifice creative control in order to be a part of a band that WAS going somewhere... the Eagles were the biggest band in the country at the time along with Fleetwood Mac. Imagine his dismay when it went kaput only a couple years later - and at that point, Poco didn't want him back.

It's always been my understanding that he didn't want to go back. From the interviews I've read, seen and heard over the years, it hasn't sounded like that interested him. If he were interested, I think he would have made some kind of random appearance at some Poco show over the last few years. Of course at this point, he would totally be stealing his former bandmates' thunder if he did. And if it ever did happen, I'm guessing that Richie Furay would be involved, since he seems like the Poco member (now former, of course) that Timothy is closest to.

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Timothy did 11 albums with POCO and I think gave it his best shot,just artistically couldn't do it anymore. When the chance came with the Eagles he took it with his band mates blessing . Your right tbsf he didn't want to go to POCO there was nothing there for him anymore so he just kept going forward and played with a lot of great musicians! He's always had good things to say about his time with POCO and his former band mates.

LWKUA
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I voted for both. As long as suit coats are optional <g>. I'll also admit that before I saw in person how they looked wearing them at a show, I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do. But to me, there's just something (maybe part of it is the 'novelty' of it <g>) about the way they look in their suits (very handsome imo). Of course I think they all look most HS&G in jeans, however I'm still enjoying the suits too.

Fan_For_Life
03-12-2009, 10:08 PM
IMHO I don't care what they wear. I enjoyed the suits just as much as I enjoy the jeans. I think each band member should be able to wear what they want so they are as comfortable as they can be. It's ok to want to reflect a certain style to the listeners but whatever the style chosen, should be up to the individual to dress in what they prefer instead of all of them uniformally dressed.

TimothysGirl
03-14-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm going to have to agree with that ,FFL, comfort should be the bottom line. Anyone preforms better when they are comfortable :)

Koala
03-15-2009, 05:25 AM
As I have already written, I find it also good if they carrying suits, (even if I prefer the Jeans) when everyone wears the same suit it looks a little bit boring for me and when everyone wears the same the individiuality gets lost.
However, actually, it no matter to me what they wear, importantly is only I see an eagles Concert for the first time in summer !

TimothysGirl
03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
That's great, Koala! Took me a long time to get to a concert too but it was worth the wait :thumbsup:. Have a Great time:cheers: and Maybe they'll have new suits by then :hilarious:.

Koala
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
That's great, Koala! Took me a long time to get to a concert too but it was worth the wait :thumbsup:.
The Waiting of the concert is it certainly worth! There I am completely sure!

Have a Great time:cheers: Thank´s, I will enjoy the concert definitely !
Maybe they'll have new suits by then :hilarious:.http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Froehlich/smilie_happy_074.gif
Possibly however if not it is not so badly!

Stars
03-17-2009, 09:34 AM
I voted for jeans, as I love their more casual look. The funny thing is, I had a dream a couple nights ago that they were wearing jeans...along with Mexican sombreros! LOL.:hilarious:

TimothysGirl
03-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh my word I wish I could have seen it, can't even begin to wrap my mind around what that sight would be like:rofl:!

Stars
03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Timothysgirl, believe me, it was a sight to behold! I almost thought they were going to start playing some mariachi type music, which would have been fun, I think!:)

Brooke
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, I mentioned in another thread that one good thing about the suits is they look the same every night. So, unless they get a haircut, the pictures could be from any recent concert.

It would also aid in the making of the elusive new dvd.

Of course, they could also do this with jeans or any outfit.

tbsfan
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, I mentioned in another thread that one good thing about the suits is they look the same every night. So, unless they get a haircut, the pictures could be from any recent concert.

It would also aid in the making of the elusive new dvd.

Of course, they could also do this with jeans or any outfit.

As long as you don't look too close. The ties aren't always the same and at least in the first two shows I saw on this tour, Timothy had different colored linings on his jackets and Glenn had black trim on the collar of one of his shirts.

tbsfan
04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
It's always been my understanding that he didn't want to go back. From the interviews I've read, seen and heard over the years, it hasn't sounded like that interested him. If he were interested, I think he would have made some kind of random appearance at some Poco show over the last few years. Of course at this point, he would totally be stealing his former bandmates' thunder if he did. And if it ever did happen, I'm guessing that Richie Furay would be involved, since he seems like the Poco member (now former, of course) that Timothy is closest to.

Responding to my own post here to say that according to Rusty Young's wife Mary (http://www.poconut.com/index.php?&content=community&com=board&brd=topic_227810), Timothy will be putting in an appearance with Poco at Stagecoach.

sodascouts
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Wow, this is big news! Let's make a thread for it in Tim's forum!

anne-o-gg
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I voted for both - like in F1.

OK, Don addressing the "suits" issue a couple of pages ago was too funny..."get over it" lol...that cracked me up...

I, too, am one who doesn't mind the suits, but having an informal 2nd half would be ok with me too. I like the suits as I said in another thread, I think they bring a bit of the classics back...very cool groups and people in the 50's/60's wore suits...the Beetles, like Don mentioned, the rat pack always look fab!

So, though I voted for both, if I had to pick casual or suit, I would bend toward suit...

EagleLady
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Not being picky here, but It was spelled Beatles ;)