PDA

View Full Version : Poco Reunion for Legacy - why not Timothy?

sodascouts
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Tim's relationship with Poco was mentioned in another thread, and it got me to thinking.

When Poco reunited for the Legacy project in 1988, it was Randy Meisner who was invited to participate, not Tim. This is in spite of the fact that Randy only contributed bass parts to Poco's debut album Pickin' Up the Pieces, and was fired from the band before the album hit the stores. Tim, on the other hand, was an important contributor to the band for years.

Timothy wasn't doing anything at the time, and we know he was hard up for cash.

Was there some kind of bad blood between him and Poco when he left the group for the Eagles? Is that why they didn't want him back for Legacy? He did guest on Inamorata in 1984, but obviously that didn't lead to him rejoining the group.

Anyone know?

melrose
03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I was always under the impression that the Legacy reunion was to reunite the original five members of Poco (Messina/Meisner/Furay/Young/Grantham). Although Meisner wasn't really a part of the Poco's Pickin' Up the Pieces, I believe they still viewed him as a founding member. Which he was. I think the overall objective of the album was to switch things up a bit. Maybe get a new sound or broader audience.

I don't really think there is bad blood between Timothy and current/past Poco members. I've heard, more than once, that the Poco members encouraged Tim to pursue the Eagles opportunity. I'm glad he did. I think he is part of what makes the Eagles so great. As with every other past and present member.

I remember some arguments about the whole lack of Schmit and Cotton issue. Some people think they should have been involve in Legacy; others not so much. :shrug:

tbs fanatic
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
When I saw Poco at our local theater a year or so ago they mentioned Tim's name fondly a couple of times - to great applause. So if there was a problem they have all moved on from it.

TimothyBFan
03-11-2009, 07:17 AM
I have never read of any bad blood between the members of Poco and Tim. I also was under the assumption that the reunion was the original members but often wondered, since Timothy was such a huge part of Poco, why they didn't include him anyways. :shrug:

And might I say how wonderful it is to see a couple of new threads for Timothy the last few days! Thanks Soda!

sodascouts
03-11-2009, 08:56 AM
No problem Willie!

I'm glad it seems that there wasn't ill will against Tim from the other members of Poco; if they actively encouraged him to leave the group for the Eagles, that's really impressive and selfless of them. Timothy added a lot to Poco, just as he adds a lot to the Eagles.

That makes sense about the 'original' five being involved in Legacy regardless of the fact that Randy's falling out with Furay in 1969 led to a lot of what he did being removed from the final mix of Pickin' Up the Pieces. In truth, Randy probably needed it more than Tim at that point anyway.

And it all worked out in the end. If Tim had been tied up in a Poco reunion, perhaps he wouldn't have been able to join the Eagles for HFO!

tbsfan
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I have never read of any bad blood between the members of Poco and Tim. I also was under the assumption that the reunion was the original members but often wondered, since Timothy was such a huge part of Poco, why they didn't include him anyways. :shrug:

The same could be said of Paul Cotton as well. He joined when Messina left and sang lead on Heart of the Night, but also wasn't included in the Legacy project.

If I'm not mistaken, Legacy also occurred around that time the Eagles were trying to get back together when things eventually didn't work out so Timothy would not have been available anyway.

TimothysGirl
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
No the only animosity Poco has is with Don Henley, especially Rusty, tho I'm not sure why?? Timothy has kept in touch with Poco and has said that he really enjoyed his years with Poco . When the chance came to play with the EAGLES they strongly pushed Timothy to take it. Timothy says he moves forward and tries not to go back but felt the time was right now to join them at Stagecoach.
Not sure why he did the Inamorata album never read anything about it. Just hope they put out a CD and a DVD of the reunion,I know they had a film crew taping it :thumbsup:.

Freypower
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Why would there be any animosity between Poco and Don Henley?

tbsfan
04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Why would there be any animosity between Poco and Don Henley?

Rusty Young has been known to make Henley/Eagles jokes during Poco shows. He even made one during the Stagecoach show (He told some guy sitting near the front that he looked like Henley and it was freaking him out. I've heard he's made that joke before.) If there is any animosity, it's probably one-sided and is based on the Eagles having the success that Poco was supposed to have - more like envy actually. I've seen some animosity on Poco fourms but that was from some (definitely not all) of the Poco fans. However, a few years ago (2002 or 2003 I think) when the Eagles played in Nashville, Rusty Young & George Grantham were there and Timothy acknowledged them from the stage.

TimothysGirl
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
I never got what stuck a burr under Rusty but wondered if it had to do with how he perceived they were treating Timothy and somehow that landed in Don's lap! Which is kind of funny cause Don and Timothy stayed in touch the most and even worked together on some projects during "The Vacation" they all had :shrug:. Oh well we'll probably never get the lowdown but it is strange.

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 02:22 AM
It's way late in the night and I just finished reading what seemed like a hundred old interviews from Tim during his Poco days. Wow, what a little personality he had. He was so much more colorful back then. Now, he's so laid back. I wonder how and when the shift occured.

One interview from his teen days asked about his favorite food... hamburgers! :) The thought of that would probably make him sick today.

Oh how I'd love to have dinner w/this man, just to talk to him about his musical career. What I love is that he seems to "get it". He knows that it's totally cool to be a rockstar and he isn't afraid to say it. He loves the admiration from the crowd... I think he's fantastic!

TimothysGirl
05-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Where did you find the interviews LTLH?? I've read a few but it's hard to find the older ones as a lot say article or item removed or the link is dead. I agree he would be a great person to talk to and I love to have the chance to do that someday!! He's doing what he always wanted to do and loves doing it so his point is why deny it :). I'm not sure when he changed but I've got an idea why. I think it's a protection mechanism he's developed to be able to retain himself as he wants to be. Call it armor if you will but you definitely need something in that kind of enviroment to survive intact or at all. He's taken his share of hits and that has to change a person in some way or other. I expect we see what Timothy chooses to let us see and know of him.

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Where did you find the interviews LTLH?? He's doing what he always wanted to do and loves doing it so his point is why deny it :). I'm not sure when he changed but I've got an idea why. I think it's a protection mechanism he's developed to be able to retain himself as he wants to be. Call it armor if you will but you definitely need something in that kind of enviroment to survive intact or at all. I expect we see what Timothy chooses to let us see and know of him.

TG, I will PM you with the site I read the interviews on. Soda has spent so much time on her sites that I do not feel right promoting another site on here. :) I will respectfully disagree w/his change being armour. To me, I think it has more to do with at one time being a front man and then being sent to the side lines... but that is only my opinion. I think once you read the interviews and compare them to his personality now, you'll see where I'm coming from, even if you don't agree.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just call up his assistant and schedule a lunch w/Timothy? I'd be on a plane tomorrow if I could do that! :hilarious:

sodascouts
05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
LTL, it's cool, just post the link here. The existence of other fansites doesn't take anything away from mine; indeed, if the site has good information on Poco, the Eagles, or anything of interest to fans, it deserves to be promoted so that people can enjoy the fruits of their hard work as well.

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Since I have your blessing Soda, here it is to others who would like it: http://www.geocities.com/klmeps/

I'm sure some others have seen this site... but for those who haven't have fun reading. I just like to hear his thoughts as things were happening...as opposed to hearing things after the fact or in hindsight. TBS had a little edge to him, which I just adored!

tbsfan
05-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I expect we see what Timothy chooses to let us see and know of him.
I think that's how most people are, famous or not.

TG, I will PM you with the site I read the interviews on. Soda has spent so much time on her sites that I do not feel right promoting another site on here. :) I will respectfully disagree w/his change being armour. To me, I think it has more to do with at one time being a front man and then being sent to the side lines... but that is only my opinion. I think once you read the interviews and compare them to his personality now, you'll see where I'm coming from, even if you don't agree.

I've read all those interviews over the years and think the change has more to do with his growth and maturity than anything else. (Isn't he eating ice cream and drinking champagne while giving one of those Poco interviews?) A guy in his fifties-sixties is going to see things differently than a guy in his twenties. And just look at all the man has gone through since those Poco days. After all, it has been 32 years. I do think that of all the current Eagles, he is the most open in interviews.

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I think that's how most people are, famous or not.

I've read all those interviews over the years and think the change has more to do with his growth and maturity than anything else. (Isn't he eating ice cream and drinking champagne while giving one of those Poco interviews?) A guy in his fifties-sixties is going to see things differently than a guy in his twenties. And just look at all the man has gone through since those Poco days. After all, it has been 32 years. I do think that of all the current Eagles, he is the most open in interviews.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, as over the net things are so easily misunderstood, due to not having a tone of voice to go with your thoughts. Yes, people do grow and mature. After all those years someone should... however, I believe a person's core is who they are and always will be. I'm just saying, I enjoyed his edgier (is that even a word?) side.

tbsfan
05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I probably shouldn't have said anything, as over the net things are so easily misunderstood, due to not having a tone of voice to go with your thoughts. Yes, people do grow and mature. After all those years someone should... however, I believe a person's core is who they are and always will be. I'm just saying, I enjoyed his edgier (is that even a word?) side.
Maybe someone should just load him up with champagne and ice cream before interviews. :-D

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe someone should just load him up with champagne and ice cream before interviews. :-D

Only if I can be the one serving it to him.:hilarious:

TimothysGirl
05-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Might get some interesting results that's for sure :hilarious: . Not sure champagne and ice cream would do it for me though :eyebrow:.

melrose
05-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't believe I've ever had that combination before...maybe I'll try it :shrug: It does sound a bit odd, but then again, it was the 70's!

TimothysGirl
05-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll take peaches in champagne thank you, I'll leave the ice cream for the rest of you :hilarious:.

To get back on subject this Reunion would be a great time to release a CD and DVD combo. Maybe we should let it be known that it would be welcomed by the fans?!? It would be a wonderful memory of much happier times I think for everyone. An this time Timothy and even Paul would be on it.

thelongrun
05-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, now we know he was called right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXCBmcKWHOU&feature=related

I am glad for Poco because for the first time in Centurys they have the right timing to release something. I mean now Eagles LROOE is no News, either any Eagles reunion even Tour. Since the launch of TIE early 70s' to this Date they always seemed to strugle with Eagles shadow, Not right now with their 2009 Reunion, so I am glad for Paul, Rusty & Co.

TimothysGirl
05-03-2009, 09:09 PM
So wonderful to see George doing so well and Timothy with him :thumbsup: .

ForexGuides
05-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Poco may have never become a household name, but the pioneering country rock group's influence is felt across American music, from the Eagles to Pure Prairie League and a host of modern acts performing alt-country.
Now the band is having a special reunion at Stagecoach on Sunday with the current incarnation of the lineup: Rusty Young, Paul Cotton, Jack Sundrud and George Lawrence, plus founding members Richie Furay and former Colton resident Jim Messina, as well as Eagles' bassist and former Poco player Timothy B. Schmit. Drummer George Grantham will also be there, although he won't perform because of a stroke a few years ago.
"It's going to be a one-of-a-kind evening," Young said in a recent telephone interview.
The band formed from the ashes of Buffalo Springfield, which featured Furay, Messina and also included some guys named Neil Young and Stephen Stills.
Poco's 1969 record "Pickin' Up the Pieces" blazed a path between country and rock music. Loved by critics, Poco never broke huge, but it did have hits with "Crazy Love" and "Heart of the Night."
"It's been a great ride," Young said. "We didn't sell 85 million records and we don't fly around in Lear jets and we don't have homes in four different countries, but it's really great."
:angel:

whitcap
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I was looking through the archives and came across this thread. I thought I'd add what I knew.

Rusty Young and Jim Messina were the ones who initiated the reunion. They called Timothy but he wasn't interested in getting back with them. After that they decided to make it a reunion of the original members.

sodascouts
01-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the info, whitcap. Wonder why Timothy wasn't interested? With no Eagles reunion in sight and his own work not doing well, you'd think he'd want back in - unless he had some personal issues with the other guys.

irga
03-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Since I have your blessing Soda, here it is to others who would like it: http://www.geocities.com/klmeps/

I'm sure some others have seen this site... but for those who haven't have fun reading. I just like to hear his thoughts as things were happening...as opposed to hearing things after the fact or in hindsight. TBS had a little edge to him, which I just adored!

I do realize it's a sort of late message - but can anybody tell me how to find those interviews? Unfortunatelly, the link doesn't work anymore (the site doesn't exist). Being a new member of The Border I didn't have a chance to look there back in 2009 :-( :cry:
Gee, I feel like a sponge that is ready to take in anything about Timothy! :spin::D

bluefeather
03-07-2014, 07:24 AM
I'd like to hear it too

sodascouts
03-08-2014, 01:56 AM
I think that site is the old URL for this site (http://timothybschmitfans.com/), unless I'm mistaken.

irga
03-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks, Soda!

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 04:37 PM
didn't work for me:sad::shrug:

irga
03-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Try this, Bluefeather: http://timothybschmitfans.com/. It's worth digging into. So many press and audio interviews. Wow.

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 08:34 PM
I couldn't get the "johno and danno" Australian interview link to work:brickwall:

NightMistBlue
06-16-2016, 01:40 PM
I read that Rusty Young and Timothy never liked each other. Anyone know why? I mean who would take a dislike to Tim?

LuvTim
06-16-2016, 05:23 PM
I read that Rusty Young and Timothy never liked each other. Anyone know why? I mean who would take a dislike to Tim?

Of course, I can only go by what I have read, too, but I will say that this runs contrary to everything I've ever read about Tim, Rusty, and Poco, in general. In fact, I read that Timothy was the one who encouraged Rusty to take on the challenge of his first lead vocal, and then helped him along as he accepted this new challenge.

**NMB, I know you're a researcher, and would probably prefer a reference for this, so before you ask where I read that, I'll go ahead and apologize and tell you that I can't remember. It's just one of those things that stuck with me, you know?

P.S. Isn't Rusty Young supposed to be writing a memoir? Maybe we will get the answer to this straight from the source.

NightMistBlue
06-17-2016, 02:12 PM
No, that's quite alright, Luv - your word is good enough for me. If it was anyone else, I'd ask for a reference but you're cool. :)

That's interesting that Tim encouraged Rusty to sing lead because (don't slap me) I can hear a similarity in their vocal stylings: a pure tone, sweet with just the slightest suggestion of breathiness. Mama like.

Richie Furay's autobiography was where I first read that Rusty didn't like Tim - at least not initially. Apparently it went on for some years, that's the impression I got, that there was a tension between them.

LuvTim
06-17-2016, 06:33 PM
No, that's quite alright, Luv - your word is good enough for me. If it was anyone else, I'd ask for a reference but you're cool. :)

That's interesting that Tim encouraged Rusty to sing lead because (don't slap me) I can hear a similarity in their vocal stylings: a pure tone, sweet with just the slightest suggestion of breathiness. Mama like.

Richie Furay's autobiography was where I first read that Rusty didn't like Tim - at least not initially. Apparently it went on for some years, that's the impression I got, that there was a tension between them.

Thanks for your kind vote of confidence. :-)

I guess Rusty got over it, whatever it was that was bothering him. :shrug:

NMB, I agree with your assessment of their similar vocal styles. You probably know that Rusty's song, "Us," from Poco's Head Over Heels album, is his first lead. (I just love that album.) Such a sweet song, and a sweet vocal. So yes, you may infer some "Sweet Timmy" influence. :heart:

UndertheWire
06-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Can I butt in? From Desperados by John Einarson, page p158

Schmit's youthful good looks drew a strong contingent of female fans to Poco's shows, a point not lost on Rusty Young. "In the old days there used to be two lines outside the dressing room when we finished a concert," laughs Young. "One long line of really pretty girls and another long line of hairy-legged old boys. And the girls would all be waiting to meet Tim and the guys would all be waiting to ask me how I tuned my steel guitar." Still, Young was less than enthusiastic with the choice of Schmit, and he disagrees with the version of events that had Randy walking out on his own. "They fired Randy without even talking to me and Randy was my friend. They hired Tim without even asking me, and I was not thrilled about it. I just didn't think the whole thing was right. Jimmy and Ritchie were asserting their authority. They'd do that every once in awhile."
Also, page 184

The presence of Tim Schmit enhanced the vocals on the Poco record. "Tim added beautiful vocals that harmonized well with Ritchie", empasizes Messina. But Young was not a fan of Schmit's musicianship. "Until Tim came into the band, Jimmy payed bass, and he's a brilliant bass player, but Tim's not. He's adequate. As an instrumentalist, I really missed having that bottom. Everything comes off of that and when it wasn't there anymore it really bothered me and I let him know it." Comments Messina, "It wasn't because Tim wasn't a good musician, he's a great player, but he just didn't have the hours or the time that I had being around the pmusic and playing. As the arranger, I would tell people how to play things and I tried to do it as sensitively as I possibly could but we were all young and had fairly sensitive egos, and that can be frustrating."

Poor Tim. The new boy and he walks into a mess of band politics.

LuvTim
06-17-2016, 07:43 PM
UTW- Well, there you go. It's always something, isn't it? :unimpressed:

If this story is true, and if Rusty really felt wronged, and if he really felt that his friend Randy was wronged, then, in all fairness, you can see how the new guy would have been a thorn in his side-- at first, anyway. Especially when the new guy gets all the girls. :faint: But I hope I am correct in my impression that this situation improved.

And, of course, this isn't the only time in Tim's life that he joins a band and gets slammed in the face by the politics.

It's now even more impressive to me that Tim manages himself well in each instance, despite the difficult circumstances.

Funk 50
06-18-2016, 06:06 AM
Tim's stated quite plainly that he's not interested in Poco reunions. He only did the last one to help George Grantham's rehabilitation.

He didn't even return to Poco during the eighties when he was openly hustling for work.

After the things I've read about Poco, Don Felder can count himself very lucky that he hooked Glenn and Don rather than Jimmy and Ritchie. :grin:

sodascouts
06-18-2016, 01:17 PM
That's the first time I've heard someone describe Tim's playing as merely "adequate." His playing is definitely more understated than some - he's never done anything like Randy's elaborate, driving bass solo in "Outlaw Man" - but it's certainly more than "adequate"! :mad:

LuvTim
06-18-2016, 02:05 PM
That's the first time I've heard someone describe Tim's playing as merely "adequate." His playing is definitely more understated than some - he's never done anything like Randy's elaborate, driving bass solo in "Outlaw Man" - but it's certainly more than "adequate"! :mad:

Yes, I absolutely agree. :hug:

I guess Glenn and Don must have been pleased, as well. That's as good a reference as Tim will ever need.

(As I've already implied, I think that whole piece of commentary from Mr. Young sounds like sour grapes from a long time ago.)

MaryCalifornia
06-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Perhaps he was merely "adequate" when he was 20. Like anyone else in any endeavor, he obviously progressed with experience, working with professionals every day.

The fact that the Eagles wanted him, and was the only option in Glenn's opinion, makes anyone who tries to put down his skills look ridiculous.

Honestly, when you look like that and sing like that, and if you can handle all of the politics and pressures, being adequate on your instrument is probably enough to be successful!!!!!

He does make the top 100 lists of all time best rock bass players, so whatever.

LuvTim
06-18-2016, 02:17 PM
MC! :-) :hug: Right on.

sodascouts
06-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Completely agreed. As cute as Tim is, the Eagles didn't hire him for his looks.

Philh
06-19-2016, 06:01 AM
My wife fancies Tim!!

MaryCalifornia
06-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Hi, Phil! Many wives fancy him!! (Probably many husbands, too!) :inlove::hilarious:

UndertheWire
06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
In the Desperados book, there's a comment from Ritchie Furay that he was probably closer to Tim than he was to anyone else in the band. It seems like they're still in touch, as Furay's current manager said that Ritchie had called Tim when he heard the news about Glenn.

NightMistBlue
06-20-2016, 11:52 AM
You know what's weird though? (well, I thought it was weird)
The Furays named their first-born child Timmie. She was born circa 1970. Richie never says that the baby was named after Timothy Schmit. He doesn't even talk about Tim all that much, though he makes it pretty clear that he liked Tim better than Randy and thought he fit well into the Poco family ambience, unlike Mr. Meisner who was aloof and a bit different.

Funk 50
07-17-2016, 07:30 AM
I've just discovered the band King Of Hearts. Randy & Tim teamed up to provide backing vocals for the King Of Hearts 1989 album: http://hardrockaorheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/king-of-hearts-st-1989-1999.html

Timothy B. Schmit and Randy Meisner : Backing vocals on “Working Man” and “In So Many Words” In So Many Words is very catchy :grooving:

According to bandleader Bruce Gaitsch, "The group KING OF HEARTS was born during Richard Marx's "Repeat Offender" recording sessions in 1988."
Both Randy and Tim joined Richard Marx for a live rendition of Take It To The Limit in 1987. http://richardmarx.com/tag/the-eagles/ several months after they both, and Joe Walsh, helped Richard out with his first single, Don't Mean Nothing.
I'm pretty sure Richard was involved with the Poco Legacy Reunion. So I reckon both Tim and Randy were in some way involved, at the start of the Poco reunion.

Bruce Gaitsch’s “little history” of “KING OF HEARTS”: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kingofhearts1

In 1989 I was working closely with Alan Kovac, Richard Marx's manager at the time. He told me he was releasing a new Poco album and by the next summer the band would need an opening act for their tour. If I wanted to put a band together we could have a deal (he would manage us) and an opening spot on their tour. George Hawkins Jr. joined after Timothy B. Schmit, who played bass and sang on the early King Of Hearts demos, left to rejoin the Eagles.

It sounds a bit too early for an Eagles reunion but, in different circumstances, Timothy could have been playing in Poco's support band during the Legacy tour. :woah:

According to Wikipedia, Timothy is listed as a bass player on Poco's Legacy album. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_(Poco_album).
Maybe Tim didn't fancy spending several months touring with the Poco guys.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-17-2016, 01:13 PM
I guess you may be right, F50.

I believe at this point, Tim would prefer to focus on his solo work. Hopefully, we'll be hearing something about the release of his new album soon.