PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Swift

EagleLady
03-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has listened to any of her songs, I think she is very talented, I like the songs White Horse, Love Story, Picture to Burn, Should've Said No

LWKUA
03-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I too think she's a very talented artist, and I've been hooked on her latest album since picking it up last week. My favorites from this one are Fearless, Hey Stephen, Love Story, and White Horse and I also like Picture to Burn and Our Song a lot from her previous album (am planning on getting this one soon too).

tbs fanatic
03-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Taylor Swift is really growing on me. I've been thinking of picking up her new CD. I keep catching her on the Radio and I'm really liking her.

Peekaboo
03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I kinda surprised myself by liking her songs. When i first heard her songs on the radio I didn't care for it much but it grew on me and i've actually downloaded quite a lot of songs from itunes. IMO, she seems more of a pop artists than country. Although I guess you could say that a lot of today's country music is a mix of pop and country.

eaglesvet
03-16-2009, 03:20 AM
I've liked her ever since I heard "Teardrops on My Guitar" from her first album. IMO, that sounds like a song from a more mature songwriter/singer, so I was impressed. I also like her new song, "Love Story." I agree with her being sort of pop-country. If I can finally swing getting good Keith Urban tix (still workin' on that...:brickwall:), I hope it's a show where she is the opener.

Brooke
03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I really like Taylor. I think she's a very talented girl.

EagleLady
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
She is very mature for her age.

Glennsallnighter
10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Taylor has just announced her 2013 world tour in support of her new album Red. As yet she has just put in US dates. I'm under SEVERE pressure here to organise a trip to one of them for Laura!

moniquebliss
12-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I really like her songs, Taylor Swift is really an amazing young singer that gives a beautiful songs in the world. At her age she bloom so fast because of she is talented person.

lizzyplays
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I think she's HUGELY talented and deserves all the successes she has. Not my cup of tea though, but I would never, ever diss her or her music. She's really fantastic.

Henley Honey
01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Taylor has just announced her 2013 world tour in support of her new album Red. As yet she has just put in US dates. I'm under SEVERE pressure here to organise a trip to one of them for Laura!

Mission Accomplished, Mama!!! So glad I could help!

Glennsallnighter
01-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Thank you so much for all your help there HH!

Taylor, here we come!

At the moment Laura is trying to decide what to put on a banner. God only knows why she is asking me for advice. Told her I don't NORMALLY make banners for gigs........

zeldabjr
01-04-2013, 10:41 PM
oh your daughter must be so excited!!...so happy for her...

Topkat
01-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I am one that thinks this girl is so overrated. I don't think she sings very well in her live performances, at least the ones I have seen on tv.
I also think it's a shame that she has to turn almost all of her big 3 month relationships into a song. The girl has been through 13 guys, all up & coming or big actors or singers over the past 4 years, ( Yeah, I looked that up)

I know she has a huge fan base, but seems that it's mostly the high school crowd. What really pissed me off was how many awards she has won in the Country Music genre, where I think she is much less talented than the others she was up against. But what do I know??? it's like Justin Beiber....I don't get all the hype over him either. Just not my thing, I guess or I am too old to appreciate or see the talent in either of these two?:unimpressed::unimpressed:
:shrug::shrug::shrug:

EagleLady
01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I am one that thinks this girl is so overrated. I don't think she sings very well in her live performances, at least the ones I have seen on tv.
I also think it's a shame that she has to turn almost all of her big 3 month relationships into a song. The girl has been through 13 guys, all up & coming or big actors or singers over the past 4 years, ( Yeah, I looked that up)

I know she has a huge fan base, but seems that it's mostly the high school crowd. What really pissed me off was how many awards she has won in the Country Music genre, where I think she is much less talented than the others she was up against. But what do I know??? it's like Justin Beiber....I don't get all the hype over him either. Just not my thing, I guess or I am too old to appreciate or see the talent in either of these two?:unimpressed::unimpressed:

Um For your information I like Taylor Swift and I am damn sure not In High school anymore. I think She's lovely and so what if she puts her relationships into song? If you dont like it you don't have to listen to her. :steviesmack:

Topkat
01-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Um For your information I like Taylor Swift and I am damn sure not In High school anymore. I think She's lovely and so what if she puts her relationships into song? If you dont like it you don't have to listen to her. :steviesmack:

Excuse me, but I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else....Just because it doesn't agree with yours, no need to get nasty!!!
Her little tattletale relationship songs are not too nice if you are the one being written some not such nice things about. Must be a reason all those hot guys dumped her after only 2 or 3 months...
So, here's a :steviesmack: right back at ya!

EagleLady
01-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Excuse me, but I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else....Just because it doesn't agree with yours, no need to get nasty!!!
Her little tattletale relationship songs are not too nice if you are the one being written some not such nice things about. Must be a reason all those hot guys dumped her after only 2 or 3 months...
So, here's a :steviesmack: right back at ya!
Like I said, If you don't want to hear them, turn the station. :unimpressed:

lizzyplays
01-05-2013, 04:45 PM
omg that's what ALL songwriters do.... draw from their own lives and relationships and write about it!!!

I am not a Justin Beiber fan either, BUT there is simply NO denying his talent! He has a silky smooth voice. He can dance AND he can play several instruments! I've spent hours watching his home video stuff on youtube from when he was a kid. He's amazing, but I certainly don't buy his music cus it's not my thing.

We live in a different era now and with social media, stars that would have only reached a certain level, can reach lofty plateaus these days (hence the Beibers and Gaga's of the world).

I've always looked at music as a way to UNITE people together. If we all liked the same stuff life would be boring. But neither one of those two would be where they are today if they didn't have talent at all and that's the bottom line, plain and simple.

Topkat
01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Like I said, If you don't want to hear them, turn the station. :unimpressed:

Yes, that is exactly what I do! If you like her fine, but we are all entitled to our opinion....Not everyone is going to love her.

I am really not a fan of country music in general. I guess some country today is borderline pop. The country music genre is the one where the money is these days....There is no money in making rock music these days.......To me that's very sad because I have seen several new rock vocalists who just can't get anywhere because the rock genre isn't that successful. Many of the old time rockers are still thriving, but thats because they have a huge following from the past, so they are still around, thank goodness, but to break into rock these days is extremely difficult.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Ok...I just re read the posts....we are all entitiled to our opinions around here...and there are so many genras out there just like chocolate and vanilla ice cream...we all have choices.
I do think she is talented . Yes , most writers write about their life experiences....muscians as well as authors....

The whole thread I just read made me laugh with Justin Beiber....when I was 5 it was Bobby SHerman and David Cassidy. My friends little girl is so in to Beiber its funny and she is 4 years old. I am sorry for the trip down memeory lane...all the talk of beiber and swift made me realize that through out time there will always be "teen heart throbs" JMO

Henley Honey
01-06-2013, 12:21 AM

I think it's a case of the latter -- it's just not your thing and/or maybe you are a smidge too old to really appreciate her, and that's fine. If I had a teenage daughter, I'd probably "get it" more than I do, but I can certainly appreciate how she consistently connects with her audience. She writes songs that they can relate to and personally embrace. I think there is enough negativity out there for teen and pre-teen girls to deal with. If Taylor can make legions of little girls have a better self-image and outlook on life, then I'm all for it. I don't know her personally and I certainly can't judge whether she's "been" with someone for three months or three years. She's an adult. She's over 21. I say lighten up.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
HH--I agree with your post above mine
She is very popular..My boss and her daughter love her.
They go to her shows with her aunt and cousin.
A real nice mom daughter activity in my opinion.

any way I think its so cool....they have had their tickets for her summer concert since before thanksgiving as well as the gal in the office who is in to kennychesney...she has hers too.
I can appreciate it all cause how they feel about their "acts" is how I am about "the boys". So while they might not like my taste in music ...they cheer me on just as I do them...guess thats the definition of "Deversity"

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM

I really have to disagree with you TK. I have been to see her live in Belfast in 2011 and she was absolutely fantastic. We were treated to a great evening of music. I wouldn't see her as being overrated either, and also I guess the way she has been introduced/exposed to the general public is a sign of the times and the way it is done for everyone rather than just for her. It seems that if you are young and upcoming your management uses a modus operandi that has you saturate the airwaves, take countless tours and release albums almost back to back. I'm not saying I'm 100% in agreement with this, its just the way its done.

I think her music strikes a chord with many young girls too. She sings of love, and heartbreak, and family, and trouble at school/bullying. Also of first relationships, things that all young girls experience as they reach towards adulthood. Its comforting for a young girl to realise that others go through the same feeings and emotions as they do. And come out OK at the other end.

I know my daughter loves her anyway! And many of her friends do too!

As regards the relationships - I guess its hard for many of the young men she dates to keep up with her.........! And if she can make a few $$$ out of composing a song about it.... why not!

However you do have a right to your own opinion and I'm not in any way trying to take from it. Just throwing in my tuppence worth!! My hubby also thought a band he used hear a lot in the 80's was overhyped too! Think they were called U2 or something......

sad-cafe
06-30-2013, 01:23 PM

totally agree

Topkat
06-30-2013, 01:51 PM
I really have to disagree with you TK. I have been to see her live in Belfast in 2011 and she was absolutely fantastic. We were treated to a great evening of music. I wouldn't see her as being overrated either, and also I guess the way she has been introduced/exposed to the general public is a sign of the times and the way it is done for everyone rather than just for her. It seems that if you are young and upcoming your management uses a modus operandi that has you saturate the airwaves, take countless tours and release albums almost back to back. I'm not saying I'm 100% in agreement with this, its just the way its done.

I think her music strikes a chord with many young girls too. She sings of love, and heartbreak, and family, and trouble at school/bullying. Also of first relationships, things that all young girls experience as they reach towards adulthood. Its comforting for a young girl to realise that others go through the same feeings and emotions as they do. And come out OK at the other end.

I know my daughter loves her anyway! And many of her friends do too!

As regards the relationships - I guess its hard for many of the young men she dates to keep up with her.........! And if she can make a few $$$ out of composing a song about it.... why not!

However you do have a right to your own opinion and I'm not in any way trying to take from it. Just throwing in my tuppence worth!! My hubby also thought a band he used hear a lot in the 80's was overhyped too! Think they were called U2 or something......

I just think it's funny that so many young girls relate to her...How many of them are 6 foot skinny blondes with millions of bucks? Probably not many! Her life is nothing like the average teen... I guess the fact that she wins so many awards is what bothers me, as I don't feel that her voice is anything compared to people like Carrie Underwood or Reba, & most of the other country female singers. I just think there is a lot of hype about her, but that is the music business. You never know who will be the next big thing.

As for her personal life, looks like she has kept things quiet lately because I haven't seen her on the cover of People with her next guy! LOL

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
I was in a consignment store Friday taking a bunch of clothes to see if they would buy them Taylor Swift was playing on the music system.

when they were checking me out, she asked if I wanted to register for TS tickets. I almost snorted and said NO THANK you

Sebastian
08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
I think the whole 'package' she offers (either the records or the concerts, or the videos for that matter) is excellent, and I'll be Captain Obvious and point that a lot of that is thanks to the hundreds of people working on that (producers, engineers, arrangers, session musicians, film crew, roadies, etc.).

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve her success... she does, obviously, and she's got that unique mixture of looks, talent, perseverance, luck, momentum, timing and good management in order to understand the 'game' and be incredibly successful at it.

One thing I do NOT like is her breathing technique, but that's just me being grumpy and picky. I love the production of 'I Knew You Were Trouble', it's so clean (well, it's Max Effing Martin after all) and detailed.

I'd like to meet her, but I'd LOVE to meet her producers, engineers, etc., I think they're true masters.

WalshFan88
08-19-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm probably better off not posting my opinion of her and the other current pop singers.. I think that in itself says what I think... ;) :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
08-19-2013, 02:56 AM
I think the whole 'package' she offers (either the records or the concerts, or the videos for that matter) is excellent, and I'll be Captain Obvious and point that a lot of that is thanks to the hundreds of people working on that (producers, engineers, arrangers, session musicians, film crew, roadies, etc.).

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve her success... she does, obviously, and she's got that unique mixture of looks, talent, perseverance, luck, momentum, timing and good management in order to understand the 'game' and be incredibly successful at it.

One thing I do NOT like is her breathing technique, but that's just me being grumpy and picky. I love the production of 'I Knew You Were Trouble', it's so clean (well, it's Max Effing Martin after all) and detailed.
:hilarious:
I'd like to meet her, but I'd LOVE to meet her producers, engineers, etc., I think they're true masters.

You should meet my daughter, SHE is TS mad!

Glennsallnighter
08-19-2013, 02:57 AM
I was in a consignment store Friday taking a bunch of clothes to see if they would buy them Taylor Swift was playing on the music system.

when they were checking me out, she asked if I wanted to register for TS tickets. I almost snorted and said NO THANK you

You could have registered for Laura though SC!

Witchy Woman
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
I think some of her songs are catchy, and I did see her open for Rascal Flatts a few years ago and thought she was great. I do not own any of her CD's,however, nor am I in a big hurry to get them. I totally understand how young folks can relate to her, and I hope she has a long, successful career. As far as the guys she's dated, she's really no different than any other young woman, except her life is played out in front of the world. Let her have fun and leave her alone.

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Three dates announced for the O2 in London in early February 2014. Tix on sale at 9am Friday. I WILL be working then but will try to get in from my class computer. If any of our UK members get presale info from ticketmaster that they don't want, could they pm me please. That way I can buy early.

Laura's Christmas present sorted!

Thanks!

sad-cafe
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
You could have registered for Laura though SC!

I'm sorry...didnt' even think of it. I just do not like her or her songs. They make me think of nails on a chalkboard. Same with Justin Bieber

Brooke
03-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Ga, I think you went to see her last month. Could you give us a review? Just wondered how she was live!

tjh532
03-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok, I'll throw in my two cents worth here. My personal opinion ( which is opposite of many of you, I know) is that the girl is terrible vocally. If you have to rely on auto-tune,etc. just to sing, and can't reproduce live what you do in the studio, then I just have a hard time with that. And before anyone tells me to just change the station - I already do - I have a strict no TS policy in my car :hilarious:

I will give her props for writing her own music, but I will say that after her being around for a few years now, they are starting to sound the same. And being a teacher of kids who are the age of the girls who like her, I do appreciate that on stage she has a clean image. I don't know about the fact that she man (boy) hops, but that's her life, so whatever.

To each their own, but she pales in comparison to so many others out there, and I guess that's what drives me crazy. There are so many out there who could sing circles around her and will never get the chance because they don't have 'the package' that's necessary to make it in music today.

Also, she has won awards, but to my knowledge they have been awards for Entertainer of the Year. As far as country music goes, she has never won an award for Female Vocalist of the Year. That goes to the women who can really sing. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
03-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Ok, I'll throw in my two cents worth here. My personal opinion ( which is opposite of many of you, I know) is that the girl is terrible vocally. If you have to rely on auto-tune,etc. just to sing, and can't reproduce live what you do in the studio, then I just have a hard time with that. And before anyone tells me to just change the station - I already do - I have a strict no TS policy in my car :hilarious:

I will give her props for writing her own music, but I will say that after her being around for a few years now, they are starting to sound the same. And being a teacher of kids who are the age of the girls who like her, I do appreciate that on stage she has a clean image. I don't know about the fact that she man (boy) hops, but that's her life, so whatever.

To each their own, but she pales in comparison to so many others out there, and I guess that's what drives me crazy. There are so many out there who could sing circles around her and will never get the chance because they don't have 'the package' that's necessary to make it in music today.

Also, she has won awards, but to my knowledge they have been awards for Entertainer of the Year. As far as country music goes, she has never won an award for Female Vocalist of the Year. That goes to the women who can really sing. :thumbsup:

Agreed.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I think some of her songs are catchy, and I did see her open for Rascal Flatts a few years ago and thought she was great. I do not own any of her CD's,however, nor am I in a big hurry to get them. I totally understand how young folks can relate to her, and I hope she has a long, successful career. As far as the guys she's dated, she's really no different than any other young woman, except her life is played out in front of the world. Let her have fun and leave her alone.

I agree,

Brooklyn Roads
03-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Very well said, and I mostly agree. I will listen to her music, but her newest songs were pretty good at first, but they grew old really quickly and burned out for me within months of hearing them. I sort of regret purchasing them, but I am sure somewhere down the line, I will feel nostalgic for 2012 and listen to them again.

I think her singing could definitely be improved. She really does have it all except for an exceptional vocal talent. However, her style does distinguish her from all others and once you hear her, you know it's her! That being said, I, too, wish many very good singers & songwriters could make it bigger out there despite not having the right mix.

At the moment, I cannot verify if she's won a "Best Vocalist" award, but you make a good point there!!