PDA

View Full Version : Standing or Sitting?

sodascouts
03-17-2009, 12:31 PM
So guys, here's the Eagles' policy on standing at concerts, according to inquiries made by a reporter at the Winnipeg Free Press (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/fly-with-eagles-cant-even-stand-41359477.html?viewAllComments=y):

"If most people were seated -- say, during a slow number like Peaceful Easy Feeling -- the 'stragglers' who were still standing would be asked to sit like everyone else.

But if the majority of people stood for an up-tempo song like Life In The Fast Lane, security was instructed to let them stay standing."

What do you think of this policy?

ticky
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I had to vote for their policy at this point, not because I have a problem with people dancing and standing at concerts. I love to see people having a great time and dancing, But personally, I have some physical limitations that mean I need to sit occasionally and I hate the idea of having to sit and NOT see a thing when everyone around me is up and dancing. At that concert Cami and I went to, they had a designated area that everyone was welcome to go to and stand in front of the stage and dance, they didnt block anyone's view and it was a lot of fun to see. I know that's probably not possible for a huge venue but even if you just make your way to the aisles, then feel free to boogy-oogy-oogy till ya just caint boogy no mo! I'll join ya when I can!!!!!

EagleLady
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
I feel I should be able to stand and dance and enjoy myself, it is after all, a concert

Brooke
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I voted for the last one. I think the Eagles should take it easy and let people do what they want. Good grief, it's a concert that you paid big bucks for.

But, of course, be considerate of people behind you.

TimothyBFan
03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Here is exactly what I just put in the Winnipeg thread where I just read this article before I saw this thread....

This really upsets me. :worried: As much as I didn't want to believe it- I was afraid all this being made to sit down was "Eagle Policy". It was just to much of a coincidence that it was happening in so many of the arenas. I also fear that it is fast becoming a big joke that the Eagles are insisting people sit for most of the concert. I'm afraid I would be one irate lady if I was told to sit down by an Eagle or one of security. I am capable of common courtesy and I know better than to stand when no one else is and not be disruptive. I don't need to be told to sit in my seat like a preschooler. After paying $200.00 a ticket, I think the fans deserve to have some fun and dance the night away if they want~~~~ as long as it's at the appropriate time. :wink:

And just my opinion here--but after paying that kinda $$ to sit in the first 10 rows--if I had been handed one of those flyers--I would have been pretty tempted to act like a preschooler and fold it into a paper airplane and aim it right at an Eagle on stage. Geez!!! It's a freakin' concert that us fans pay huge $$ to enjoy!! I'm almost scared to go to another Eagles concert for fear of being repremended and sent to my room!!

Lighten up while you still can boys!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM
"If most people were seated -- say, during a slow number like Peaceful Easy Feeling -- the 'stragglers' who were still standing would be asked to sit like everyone else.

But if the majority of people stood for an up-tempo song like Life In The Fast Lane, security was instructed to let them stay standing."Okay, I haven't voted in the poll yet. I have to write my thoughts before I can decide how to vote. Sorry, Soda, but I think the way you have the poll questions worded is a bit convoluted here. I'm also probably going to be in a minority on this question because I am actually going to defend the band's policy here.

The way I read this is that the band is not dictating the 'sit or stand' decision. They are letting the audience decide if they want to sit or stand - majority rules. I see nothing wrong with this and think it is actually the fairest way to decide the issue.

Having said this, in my opinion and from my experience, it is the way that the venue's security interprets and enforces the policy that is usually the problem. I had brought this up previously in the Hampton thread. Before the concert, the security folks were coming around announcing to us that there would be absolutely no standing at any time during the concert. Now show me where it says that in the band's guidelines. Of course, I just laughed and shook my head. I knew there was no way they would be able to enforce this in the end. I personally think people should be left alone for the most part, but if 'stragglers' are obstructing others view, then I see no problem with asking them to sit. Most reasonable people do not intentionally try to be rude, and would probably not want to interfere with some else's ability to enjoy the show. But there are also the obnoxious and/or intoxicated people that really don't give a damn. Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the theory that I bought my ticket, therefore, I can do whatever I want in a public venue. I am one of those who believe that one person's rights end where another's begin.

TimothyBFan
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Let me throw this out here also...

Why does there have to be a policy at all?

I have been to tons and tons of concerts--I don't remember there ever being a policy. I think common sense on the part of the fans and the security should be sufficient!! JMHO---again!

Koala
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
At bottom, I have nothing against it if somebody would like to dance or to stand up but I am not big,
it disturbs me sometimes if before me people dance and stand up and I nothing more can see.
However, I can understand it well if some people have the need to stand up or to dance by some songs !
I want that sometimes too!

03-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Let me throw this out here also...

Why does there have to be a policy at all?

I have been to tons and tons of concerts--I don't remember there ever being a policy. I think common sense on the part of the fans and the security should be sufficient!! JMHO---again!

TBF - in theory I agree with you that there shouldn't be any need for any policy. Actually, again, I think this is the intention of the band. What they are saying in my mind is to let the majority of the audience dictate whether or not they want to stand.

As far as common sense on the part of fans and security, as I said in my post, this is where the problem is. Unfortunately, the fans and security don't always use common sense. I guess the band feels that the majority of the audience has common sense, and therefore, leaves it to their discretion rather than a few individuals who are on a power kick or either don't care about anyone else. Obviously, the band's intention isn't being enforced real well based on my experience in Hampton.

And as far as the poll, I can't vote because none of the options really reflects my opinion.

sodascouts
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I voted for the last option.

I think the band's hearts are in the right place, but to try and control this is not only futile, it's backfiring.

I imagine that the band saw some people being disruptive early on in the tour, and decided to create a "policy" to curb the behavior. However, this only creates bad feelings. When someone is being terribly obnoxious, security is called by the people around them. There is no need for the band to intervene.

By creating this "policy," they have opened the door for the security people to interpret it however way they want and blame it on the band. In Hampton, Dreamer was told that all people were to sit down at all times. In Jacksonville, overzealous security yelled at Jags and ruined her concert experience. In Winnipeg, they were bad enough to garner the band negative press. Inconsistency is inevitable in such situations - not only between venues, but even between sections within the venue; the guards by F3 might be more aggressive than those by F1 for instance, causing even more confusion.

In trying to control the audience's behavior, the Eagles have simply transferred the problem from the audience to the security, and in doing so have generated ill will against themselves with no tangible benefit. There are STILL "stragglers" standing regardless of "Eagle policy." There always will be.

When I read this, I just shook my head, because I knew they were coming off badly and for what? For nothing. The enforcement of the policy is at best ineffective, at worst damaging. Sorry guys, this policy is EPIC FAIL!

Prettymaid
03-17-2009, 05:20 PM
The way I read this is that the band is not dictating the 'sit or stand' decision. They are letting the audience decide if they want to sit or stand - majority rules. I see nothing wrong with this and think it is actually the fairest way to decide the issue.

I agree with Dreamer here, but I voted for the last choice. As I said in another thread, why is the band wanting to come off as the bad guys when they can just ask the venue to do the dirty work for them? Why ever let anyone know that it is the band's policy? I guess what I'm saying is that there are times when security should have to deal with someone who is not being respectful of the people around them, but why get the band involved? Their job is to perform. I'm afraid the Eagles are showing their age and acting like grumpy old men.

ETA: Soda, you had not yet posted when I started this. After posting I read yours, and of course you stated my feelings better than I did! Thanks!

sodascouts
03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks PM!

You know, I've been on both sides of this issue, so it really hits home for me. I was punched in Glasgow for standing during the first song and not sitting immediately after the band came out. At a Lindsey Buckingham concert, I was kicked by some guy for standing catty corner to him, even though I was in the aisle and trying hard not to block anyone.

That said, I do sit down when I see the majority of people behind me are sitting. I don't really want to stick out like a sore thumb like that! I'll stand for a bit hoping to encourage others to do the same, but if they don't, I sit back down. Of course, sometimes, it becomes difficult to gauge - people in a certain section are standing, but not directly behind me - when is it OK? Having security make that decision is asking for trouble.

Let's face it, there is a tendency for MANY guards to go on power trips and use any excuse to "crack down" on audience members. I was manhandled by guards at Moline for attempting to take a photo at the end of the show during Fleetwood Mac's band bows (I had been good the rest of the concert), harassed by them in Detroit's DTE to the degree where I swore I would never see another show there (I had simply moved down the row a few seats after the people sitting there had left before Fleetwood Mac's encore, and I was yelled at). Many of my friends have similar stories. The last thing those type of security guards need is "official sanction" to be pricks.

I remember in Chicago, the second show, when Don called out a couple people for standing during Waiting in the Weeds. "When we sit down, you can sit down, too. Then maybe the people behind you can see for a change." I CRINGED. While some people applauded, many others - including those around me - were going "What a dick." Meanwhile, from my vantage point, I could see patches of people standing in other sections. He accomplished little but to make himself look bad and make two fans feel like crap. Yes, he made it easier for the people immediately behind them to see and they were undoubtedly grateful, but was it worth injecting negativity into the show and bringing the room down, even if only for a bit?

Again, he was just trying to help... but his desire to insert himself into the situation and "take control" was a mistake, IMHO. He came off like an old, scolding fuddy-duddy telling the kids to get off his lawn. If they were really being so horrific, as I said before, security can take care of it without the band's help.

Freypower
03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I voted for the last option. I tend to agree with Soda's points although I think Dreamer had some valid arguments as well.

I can safely say that we don't get the crowd trouble that you seem to get in the Northern Hemisphere. Australians are so apathetic that most of them don't want to stand up.

sodascouts
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
And it's undeniable that when the majority of the audience is standing and dancing, the concert's energy level soars. Perhaps that's why the executive producer of Farewell 1 approved the inclusion of so many shots of the people who were standing, even during slow songs like Lyin' Eyes. (The executive producer was Glenn Frey.)

Fleetwood Mac's policy of allowing anyone in the first four rows who wants to stand to come up to the stage does effectively eliminate such problems at the front; at the stage, these standing folks are no longer blocking anyone, and can rock out to their heart's delight.

ETA: You know, I wonder if Don would be mad at me for standing during Take It to the Limit... the Eagles are sitting then so by his earlier logic I should sit too.... but DANG, it's such a powerful song! Seems to me to be justifiable to stand, at least at the end!

TimothyBFan
03-17-2009, 06:33 PM
PM & Soda--I think you guys are spot on! Let's face it--Glenn & Don already get a bad rap from a lot of critics for being not so kind--why prove their point by calling out to audience members (the same people that have helped make them what they are today). I truly believe they are making themselves look like grumpy old men and I don't want to see that. It is extremely upsetting to see them so "moody" and hear that this stuff is going on--so far as going to the trouble to have flyers handed out to the first 10 rows for goodness sake! Might as well post a "do not trespass" sign!

Again--we are not children and 90% of us can figure out when it is appropriate to stand during a song and when to sit down in our seats-without being told. In Cincinnati, we had 2 drunk chicks from 5 rows back, falling all over and getting mouthy with my daughter as they tried to stumble there way up the isle to the stage. Security did nothing till I told them to during intermission but yet they were all over a young couple dancing in the far isle where they really weren't hurting anyone. I know security isn't always something you can depend on but let them take care of it and not the band.

I think this bad publicity on top of the whole Irving/Ticketmaster thing right now, and every review you read making a big deal about the face value of the tickets, which most feel very strongly about just isn't good and it is really souring some fans. Me included. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND ADORE THEM but this does get hard to swallow. They have been on such a pedestal for years with me, it makes it harder. That of course, could also be coupled with the fact I bowed out of going this Sunday because of personal reasons but also didn't want to spend the money ~~~~ maybe I'm taking it to seriously to heart because I'm feeling a bit bitter at the moment. :shrug:

03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I totally agree with everyone that it would be best for the band not to address this with members of an audience. It doesn’t endear the band to fans if they embarrass or humiliate them. But here is where I take issue. First of all, I am not prepared to criticize the band so harshly when I really do not know what the band’s official policy is regarding this matter. Everything we are talking about here is hearsay. Here is what the columnist wrote:

MTS Centre security explained their actions this way. "It's Eagles' policy."
But why?
I called Kevin Donnelly, the MTS Centre general manager.
Donnelly said the event promoter asked them to implement the stay-seated policy and leaflets were distributed to people in the first 10 rows, advising them that they may be asked to sit down.
From what I gather, this "Eagles policy" was supposed to work this way.
If most people were seated -- say, during a slow number like Peaceful Easy Feeling -- the "stragglers" who were still standing would be asked to sit like everyone else.
But if the majority of people stood for an up-tempo song like Life In The Fast Lane, security was instructed to let them stay standing. Not exactly clearcut or cast in stone. Based on this, the columnist even acknowledges that he is not totally clear on the facts. In addition, it seems to me from reading this that it was the venue that decided to distribute leaflets, not a request from the band.

In any event, if the band wants to set guidelines that the audience should generally dictate when they want to stand, I don’t have a problem with that. While it is true that the energy level soars when the crowd is standing and dancing, the crowd will dictate when they want that to happen. Although I like the idea that Fleetwood Mac has of letting people up front, I still don't think that it will solve most of the problems. As someone who is vertically challenged, I appreciate it if the band is trying to address the issue. Eagles tickets are not cheap for anyone. But the people who want or need to sit or are short have just as much right to be able to see the show as the ones who want to stand. I just don’t think there is a clear right or wrong answer to this, which is probably why there is so much controversy.

However, I also agree that whatever the band’s stance is that it probably won’t make any real difference in the long run. It is still up to the venue’s security to interpret and enforce any policies. And as I said before, therein lies the real problem, IMHO.

Fan_For_Life
03-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Unselfish me: I know they have to have some rules in place for safety measures as well as so everyone can enjoy themselves. This could be argued two ways: the sitters point of view and the standers. I understand there are many different kinds of people attending an Eagles concert and all should be able to enjoy themselves 100%.

Selfish me: I being the stander/dancer voted for no. I should not be told to sit down at a rock n roll concert. An opera maybe but not for rock n roll. I might as well stay home and put in a live dvd if I intend to sit down.

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Ok, I feel really strongly about this... The first concert I ever saw was Duran Duran, I remember standing the whole time! Other concerts I've been too Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, etc, etc, etc... I never sat at any of those concerts. It just wasn't done. Not at a rock concert! I did see Petty right after his best friend Del died and there was a lot of sitting. I actually felt sad. I couldn't tell if the audience was "supposed" to sit or if it was vibe from Tom's recent loss.

The concerts I've been at were there was a lot of sitting have been country acts; Reba, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks... and I have to say, I didn't have the same "connection" that I did at a "rock" concert.

I am a huge lover of music. Music resonates w/the soul. When I'm at a concert, I want to feel that connection. The aura of the crowd, the energy... it all means so much.

So yeah, to conclude... by all means standing and "feeling" the music is a must! If you need or want to sit, no one will care. Mind you, I'm short, only 5'2" and I often have 6' men standing in front of me... but that's just part of the territory...

Fan_For_Life
03-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Audience participation is part of the performance,, or so I thought it was. It never occurs to me to sit at a concert even with a seat assigned. It doesn't matter who it is, generally I go see bands/musicians I like so I'm always into the performance just like the band is. I suppose since our gentlemen are getting up in age as well as countless fans I should understand the need for cautiousness. ;-)

sodascouts
09-08-2012, 02:25 PM
By creating this "policy," they have opened the door for the security people to interpret it however way they want and blame it on the band. In Hampton, Dreamer was told that all people were to sit down at all times. In Jacksonville, overzealous security yelled at Jags and ruined her concert experience. In Winnipeg, they were bad enough to garner the band negative press. Inconsistency is inevitable in such situations - not only between venues, but even between sections within the venue; the guards by F3 might be more aggressive than those by F1 for instance, causing even more confusion.

I'm just quoting my over-three-year-old post here to note how little has changed. On the first night in Atlantic City, security was telling people in the front section on my side (Tim's side) to sit down during the song Walk Away!!! Meanwhile, I could see people further down more towards Joe or a few rows back who were standing and dancing with no problem. I sat down obediently and just rocked out in my seat, but it felt rather lame.

The second night was better. However, sitting down during Hotel California because "majority rules" also felt pretty lame to me.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm just quoting my over-three-year-old post here to note how little has changed. On the first night in Atlantic City, security was telling people in the front section on my side (Tim's side) to sit down during the song Walk Away!!! Meanwhile, I could see people further down more towards Joe or a few rows back who were standing and dancing with no problem. I sat down obediently and just rocked out in my seat, but it felt rather lame.

The second night was better. However, sitting down during Hotel California because "majority rules" also felt pretty lame to me.

During the Sunday concert, I thought it extremely lame when Timothy gestured for people to stand and they still sat. I know people enjoyed the concert, but come on, if I can stand and dance when hungover with three hours sleep and a bad knee, anyone can!

zeldabjr
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM

I would rather stand than sit...sitting during an Eagles concert does feel "lame" to me! Yeah it's nuts to have security telling people "you have to sit down"...crazy!!!...with all the money people pay to go to these things...I sat a lot more on Saturday but the crowd around me was quiet and I felt stupid being standing,but I didn't like it...I had way more rowdy people around me on Sunday and we all stood way more...it was more fun! I don't mean bad rowdy, I mean good rowdy....fun and really into every song!...and standing and dancing to everything!!

Topkat
09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
This is the first time I have ever even HEARD of an actual POLICY regarding sitting or standing....When I heard about it, I just thought it was totally NUTS! I thought it was a JOKE or something, but I think if it was actually given to me, I may not have thought it was too funny!

I have been going to concerts since I'm about 13, and I'm in my 50's now, so that's a lot of concerts.

I think generally, it depends on the kind of artist you are seeing & the music. For example, if you are seeing Jackson Browne, James Taylor, or Crosby, Stills & Nash, you may be sitting for much of the concert, but even at these shows, when a high energy song is played, people will get up & dance. That is usually expected. At a full blown rock concert of say the Stones, or Aerosmith, people may be standing for a lot of the show. I am pretty short, so if people stand in front of me, it may be hard for me to see, but if I was standing & someone behind me asked me nicely to please sit, I probably would. I have been known to dance in my chair or sit on the edge of a chair, or even sit on a guys shoulders if I can't see.
It really all depends on the show! The concert experience should be enjoyed by everyone & do what they want to do.

To be TOLD no standing would really put a damper on the experience for a lot of people. The Eagles do have some slow songs, that maybe some people would want to sit down to enjoy, but they also rock out & we should be able to stand if we want to. At the show I was at on Sun. night, I stood for most of the show & people around us were standing, but I may have sat down during a few songs, The whole POLICY thing with actual RULES is just way TOO MUCH!

james067
11-29-2012, 06:44 AM
i am sitting

VAisForEagleLovers
11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
James, welcome to The Border! It's great to have you on board!

Houston Debutante
11-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I like to stand during fast songs and sit during the slow ones. If nobody else is standing I don't stand even during fast ones though because that's awkward.

sodascouts
11-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I feel awkward if I'm the only one standing. People also tend to get pissed off at you!

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 02:24 PM
I try not to stand much at any concert since now I normally go for front row. I stand up for my favorites and sit the rest of the time. Being 6'8 makes it tough.

As far as the Eagles sitting/standing - I'm not sure what I think about that.

TimothyBFan
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I try not to stand much at any concert since now I normally go for front row. I stand up for my favorites and sit the rest of the time. Being 6'8 makes it tough.

Like I've said before---stand all you want as long as you're behind me. You can still see over me. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Like I've said before---stand all you want as long as you're behind me. You can still see over me. :thumbsup:

Hehehehe... You mean you couldn't see over me?! :hilarious:

sodascouts
05-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Reviving this old thread because I was watching a Janis Joplin documentary and I was reminded of it when she said this:

"The audience sitting down is a weird trip. It's like separateness. But when they're dancing, they're doing it with you. Like you said it to them and they've got it and you can play freer and freer."

Obviously that wasn't this band's philosophy!

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Reviving this old thread because I was watching a Janis Joplin documentary and I was reminded of it when she said this:

"The audience sitting down is a weird trip. It's like separateness. But when they're dancing, they're doing it with you. Like you said it to them and they've got it and you can play freer and freer."

Obviously that wasn't this band's philosophy!

LOL - Soda - I agree. I don't know any other group who gets so bend out of shape about people standing. It is a concert for gosh sakes. Now with all the jumbo screens people can see the people performing on the stage. Not like the old days. I usually got stuck in front of someone 6 ft. tall and I am only 5'1".

groupie2686
05-28-2018, 07:06 PM
LOL - Soda - I agree. I don't know any other group who gets so bend out of shape about people standing. It is a concert for gosh sakes. Now with all the jumbo screens people can see the people performing on the stage. Not like the old days. I usually got stuck in front of someone 6 ft. tall and I am only 5'1".

I'm 5'1" too, New Kid, so I hear you - I hate crowds, I can never see around people!

I haven't been to a concert in years but I prefer a combination of both...I like to stand but sometimes you need to sit!

maryc2130
05-28-2018, 08:00 PM
I like to stand and dance for the rockers, but sit for the rest and still be able to see. I notice a lot of people have posted that they've paid a lot for the tickets so they should be able to stand. Well, I pay a lot for tickets and i should be able to see. One of the last concerts I went to, the people in front of us kept standing and trying to get everyone else to stand with them. Everyone else didn't and it really irked me that they kept standing.

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 08:03 PM
I'm 5'1" too, New Kid, so I hear you - I hate crowds, I can never see around people!

I haven't been to a concert in years but I prefer a combination of both...I like to stand but sometimes you need to sit!

Groupie - I Agree. There are some songs in a concert where people should be sitting ie: for example when the Eagles do their ballads.

NightMistBlue
05-28-2018, 09:12 PM
The venues that I go too most frequently, especially the Seminole Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida, have gotten pretty intolerant of people standing because it blocks the view of the people behind you, especially if you have floor seats that are obviously on one level. I understand but it can be a real buzzkill. They didn’t even allow dancing at a KC & the Sunshine Band show for Pete’s sake!

peneumbra
05-28-2018, 09:54 PM
At most of the Dead shows I've been at - has to be at least 200 - most of the audience was neither standing nor sitting.

They were flying around high over the venue...:rockguitar:

CAinOH
05-28-2018, 10:02 PM
At most of the Dead shows I've been at - has to be at least 200 - most of the audience was neither standing nor sitting.

Okay, laughed out loud at this one...

WalshFan88
05-28-2018, 11:37 PM
My thoughts haven't changed at all.

If they are sitting (like an acoustic performance), you should sit. If they stand, we have every right to stand. Now me personally I stand very rarely for certain reasons but I should have that right and so should shorter people. ;) :lol:

To me the Eagles in their later years got pretty stuffy. Corporate-like stuffiness. Compare that 70s or even HFO footage. With HFO they were headed in that direction but not as noticeable as F1 and forward. I think a rock n' roll band shouldn't act and dress like businessmen on Wall Street. Informality is the very nature of rock n' roll. I don't want to go to a funeral. I want to go to a FUN rock concert. I have enough serious crap in my life, the last thing I want to go to is a concert where everyone onstage looks grumpy and act like they'd rather be anywhere but on that stage. It just dampens whatever music they are playing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to AC/DC (as just one example) where everyone on that stage is having the time of their life or at least convincingly acting like it (which I'm fine with). The fun energy in the room adds to the aural experience. Similarly, a stuffy "bad hair day" attitude can detract from even a great sonic performance. I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.

I LOVED the Eagles and the shows I saw, don't get me wrong. But I still feel like sharing these thoughts which have been my thoughts on this from day one. It didn't ruin my shows but to me they got a little too serious for me in the later years. Relax guys. You are talented, rich, and privileged. Fake it if you must but at least act like you give a damn that people paid hard earned money to see you.

Freypower
05-29-2018, 12:02 AM
My thoughts haven't changed at all.

If they are sitting (like an acoustic performance), you should sit. If they stand, we have every right to stand. Now me personally I stand very rarely for certain reasons but I should have that right and so should shorter people. ;) :lol:

To me the Eagles in their later years got pretty stuffy. Corporate-like stuffiness. Compare that 70s or even HFO footage. With HFO they were headed in that direction but not as noticeable as F1 and forward. I think a rock n' roll band shouldn't act and dress like businessmen on Wall Street. Informality is the very nature of rock n' roll. I don't want to go to a funeral. I want to go to a FUN rock concert. I have enough serious crap in my life, the last thing I want to go to is a concert where everyone onstage looks grumpy and act like they'd rather be anywhere but on that stage. It just dampens whatever music they are playing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to AC/DC (as just one example) where everyone on that stage is having the time of their life or at least convincingly acting like it (which I'm fine with). The fun energy in the room adds to the aural experience. Similarly, a stuffy "bad hair day" attitude can detract from even a great sonic performance. I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.

I LOVED the Eagles and the shows I saw, don't get me wrong. But I still feel like sharing these thoughts which have been my thoughts on this from day one. It didn't ruin my shows but to me they got a little too serious for me in the later years. Relax guys. You are talented, rich, and privileged. Fake it if you must but at least act like you give a damn that people paid hard earned money to see you.

I never saw the whole band in suits, but I did see Glenn in a suit. However it was appropriate because it was the After Hours tour. I understand people didn't like the Eagles in suits.

What was the clincher for me was the attitude at the last show I ever saw, Brisbane 2015, when I was front row centre. I already knew I couldn't take photos, on the one night I could have taken some of the best photos of all time. But it was the attitudes to people's phones that was astonishing. I got my phone out before the show & was told to put it away. BEFORE the show. As far as I was concerned they had no right whatsoever to police the audience's activities in that way when they were not on stage. The audience was left cowed & alienated, so that when they graced us with their presence & started telling stories about LA in 1971 we really were not that interestd any more. Of course, at intermission I didn't dare take the phone out. It was that attitude that had already made me decide I would never go & see them again (their actual performances on that tour also decided that, but that is a separate issue).
If people think I overreacted, I think it is important to remember that I was already starting to lose interest in the band, and then Glenn died.

WalshFan88
05-29-2018, 12:08 AM
I never saw the whole band in suits, but I did see Glenn in a suit. However it was appropriate because it was the After Hours tour. I understand people didn't like the Eagles in suits.

What was the clincher for me was the attitude at the last show I ever saw, Brisbane 2015, when I was front row centre. I already knew I couldn't take photos, on the one night I could have taken some of the best photos of all time. But it was the attitudes to people's phones that was astonishing. I got my phone out before the show & was told to put it away. BEFORE the show. As far as I was concerned they had no right whatsoever to police the audience's activities in that way when they were not on stage. The audience was left cowed & alienated, so that when they graced us with their presence & started telling stories about LA in 1971 we really were not that interestd any more. Of course, at intermission I didn't dare take the phone out. It was that attitude that had already made me decide I would never go & see them again (their actual performances on that tour also decided that, but that is a separate issue).

I can understand the suit on the AH tour completely.

I had a similar situation happen to me at the HOTE show in St. Louis. I got my phone out even before the opening act started and was just going to check messages and this lady came over saying to put it away. I was shocked. She was with the venue security and said if I didn't put it away she wasn't going to page Eagles security and have me removed. It really started things off on the wrong foot, to say the least. It had me miffed before I even got settled in my seat.

For me, there is no valid reason to do that. I know this isn't the phone thread, but it still applies. They just got way too stuffy and lost some of the fun or even just decency. I was told if I needed to use my phone I needed to go outside.

I don't know who was to blame for this idea. I'm sure both Don and Glenn agreed on it and Glenn had to sign off on it, but whoever's idea it was, was a bad one.

Freypower
05-29-2018, 12:17 AM
I forgot there was a thread about phones. I don't have time to search for it.

To contribute: I prefer standing if I'm near the front & I'm not blocking people's view.

cosec3791
05-29-2018, 07:34 AM
I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.

About that last sentence, I beg to differ. To quite a few Eagles fans, they are best live than in studio.

I, personally, really don't like any studio version of Eagles songs. The live songs, with their nuances are my favorites. In fact, in my computer and my phone, I don't have a studio version of Eagles songs. All of them are live bootlegs from the 70's till the 90's (post 1999 Eagles don't interest me). The slightest differences (eg:- Joe Walsh doing a pick scrape before changing guitars in Rocky Mountain Way or the way both of them do pick scrapes in the solo in Hotel California) are extremely obvious and important to me. Even the other few Eagles friends of mine who are minors are like me in this aspect. There is, in addition a rawness of a live bootleg which one would most probably not hear in studio. Their distortion and mixing is also rawer and more hardcore.

So, while I totally respect and understand what you said not all are content with studio versions.

cosec3791
05-29-2018, 07:43 AM
And about this topic itself? Not sure what to say tbh. I just voted for the last option. They seem so stuffy after 1999. I can't really say because I never attended a concert. But I heard stories.

On a more off topic note, I love Eagles way more as a live band than in studio. Like Hotel California has more edge and character in live to me than in studio. The rawer, grittier guitars and the pick scraping are just... AWESOME!!! You guys gotta hear Boston 1979. Not a good bootleg, but in Hotel California, Felder's guitar is so prominent and the pick scrape from Felder is so EPIC! Live versions are what really make me determine my favorite songs. Like for example I like You Never Cry Like A Lover better than Best of My Love because it is better live (ik, terrible reason, but that's just the way I am). Also, the first thing I ever listened of Eagles was Hotel California from 1977 Capital Center.

WalshFan88
05-29-2018, 05:30 PM
About that last sentence, I beg to differ. To quite a few Eagles fans, they are best live than in studio.

I, personally, really don't like any studio version of Eagles songs. The live songs, with their nuances are my favorites. In fact, in my computer and my phone, I don't have a studio version of Eagles songs. All of them are live bootlegs from the 70's till the 90's (post 1999 Eagles don't interest me). The slightest differences (eg:- Joe Walsh doing a pick scrape before changing guitars in Rocky Mountain Way or the way both of them do pick scrapes in the solo in Hotel California) are extremely obvious and important to me. Even the other few Eagles friends of mine who are minors are like me in this aspect. There is, in addition a rawness of a live bootleg which one would most probably not hear in studio. Their distortion and mixing is also rawer and more hardcore.

So, while I totally respect and understand what you said not all are content with studio versions.

That’s where we differ. Just listen to stories about how they perfected everything and Glenn working on one line in Lyin’ Eyes a zillion times. I definitely like their studio recordings best as far as the most perfect version of a song. It’s been worked on for so long and you know every line has been scrutinized by GF/DH.

Maybe not all but I’d speculate the majority feel this way. YMMV.

Freypower
05-29-2018, 06:59 PM

Speaking for myself I don't have the ears or the patience or the knowledge to sift through endless live versions & try & work out if there any differences. I would not have a clue if someone changed one note or if they scraped a pick. Kudos to you if you claim you can do that, but it isn't my thing. I feel that way about ALL acts, not just the Eagles. There is only one live performance I can cite which almost surpasses the original, and that is Phil Collins The Roof Is Leaking at the Wiltern Theatre, and then only because it has been radically rearranged. Glenn did that with a couple of his solo songs, and I was pretty much the only person on this board who liked them (he did a jazz version of The Heat Is On & he slowed Smuggler's Blues down).

MarthaJo56
05-29-2018, 07:38 PM
I've been to concerts & other events where people stood up in front of me. Sometime dancing!!!! It was really annoying, :guitar:

groupie2686
05-30-2018, 01:11 PM
To pick up on the live performance vs recorded version debate, there are times when I prefer a live version of a song, but I'd never go so far as to say I don't like the recorded version. For example, I prefer The Heart of the Matter live with the Eagles, for the gorgeous harmonies, over Henley's recorded version, but I still adore the recorded version. Other times, I don't like the arrangement on a live version - such as the addition of the saxophone or a fiddle where there was none before.

I've heard of the Eagles' no-phones policy, but did they really tell people they couldn't stand?

BillBailey1976
05-30-2018, 03:58 PM
When I saw them in 2013, I stood nearly the whole concert.
I was on the back row, standing against the wall of the arena though....maybe that's why they didn't say anything. :)

cosec3791
05-30-2018, 04:50 PM
To pick up on the live performance vs recorded version debate, there are times when I prefer a live version of a song, but I'd never go so far as to say I don't like the recorded version. For example, I prefer The Heart of the Matter live with the Eagles, for the gorgeous harmonies, over Henley's recorded version, but I still adore the recorded version. Other times, I don't like the arrangement on a live version - such as the addition of the saxophone or a fiddle where there was none before.

Understandable. Especially when you don't have the time or care to have so many bootlegs. For example, I love bootleg versions so much, I have 9 versions of Hotel California from different bootlegs spanning from the 70's till 90's in my phone. So I feel I have a great ear when it comes to this.

My first Eagles friends are even more experienced. They managed to pick out discrepancies to show the very shadiness of 1977 Capital Center.

Another thing is, you may have listened to studio first, but my first ever thing I listened to of the Eagles is Hotel from 1977 Capital Center. So ever since, I was a stickler to minor details. How perfect it is live, compared to other performances. How arrangement is changed, slightest variations are all things I listen to first. So, as a result, bootlegs with not the best quality are also in my phone. I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

I guess I really am weird lol.

Freypower
05-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Understandable. Especially when you don't have the time or care to have so many bootlegs. For example, I love bootleg versions so much, I have 9 versions of Hotel California from different bootlegs spanning from the 70's till 90's in my phone. So I feel I have a great ear when it comes to this.

My first Eagles friends are even more experienced. They managed to pick out discrepancies to show the very shadiness of 1977 Capital Center.

Another thing is, you may have listened to studio first, but my first ever thing I listened to of the Eagles is Hotel from 1977 Capital Center. So ever since, I was a stickler to minor details. How perfect it is live, compared to other performances. How arrangement is changed, slightest variations are all things I listen to first. So, as a result, bootlegs with not the best quality are also in my phone. I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

You have knowledge that others haven't.

The problem with talking about bootleg versions is that those who have not heard them cannot join the discussion. At least we can all discuss the studio versions.

sodascouts
05-30-2018, 11:45 PM
I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

Honestly, since they tried so very hard to duplicate their studio versions in their live performances, I am surprised that you detest the studio performances. To each his own.

I have listened to tons of live versions. I have found a very few that are exceptional, such as Peaceful Easy Feeling from Hell Freezes Over Second Night. However, most of their live performances are simply too close to the studio versions to be of special note to me.

This discussion belongs elsewhere, though. Isn't there a thread for this already? If not, create one. This thread is about standing and sitting at concerts, and the band's policy on the matter.

I have always thought the band should not try to control it. Let people get "peer pressured" to sit by the people around them if there's an issue; don't get security involved. It's stressful to try to figure out when it's OK to stand and people are often afraid to stand even during fast numbers - better safe than sorry - don't want a Black Shirt coming and threatening to kick you out. That's just freaking SAD.

I'll never forget Don telling someone to sit down from the freaking stage in Chicago. The poor thing was just standing and clapping along with a big smile on her face. He humiliated her in front of everyone.

I get, as an audience member, not wanting people in front of you to stand when you're sitting. Personally, I don't enjoy standing if no one else is standing because I feel awkward and self-conscious, so I choose not to stand unless there are at least some other people doing so. I just think the band should stay out of it.

FreyFollower
05-31-2018, 03:24 AM
As others have said, I think you can determine for yourself if standing is appropriate, and act accordingly. Security should take action with loud and obnoxious folks, standing or not. But I would think that for the most part, the ones down close standing and dancing are the biggest fans at the show. They paid the most for their ticket, and are more into the music. They might be oblivious to those around them in their excited state!
I am short, too, and don't like my view blocked. But I had rather be around people excited and having fun than irritated folks constantly whining about what they don't like ( such as being told to sit) and groaning things like "I don't know this song...when are they gonna play Hotel California?" and "Which one is Randy Meisner?":scowl:

cosec3791
05-31-2018, 07:18 AM
Honestly, since they tried so very hard to duplicate their studio versions in their live performances, I am surprised that you detest the studio performances. To each his own.

I have listened to tons of live versions. I have found a very few that are exceptional, such as Peaceful Easy Feeling from Hell Freezes Over Second Night. However, most of their live performances are simply too close to the studio versions to be of special note to me.

This discussion belongs elsewhere, though. Isn't there a thread for this already? If not, create one. This thread is about standing and sitting at concerts, and the band's policy on the matter.

I have always thought the band should not try to control it. Let people get "peer pressured" to sit by the people around them if there's an issue; don't get security involved. It's stressful to try to figure out when it's OK to stand and people are often afraid to stand even during fast numbers - better safe than sorry - don't want a Black Shirt coming and threatening to kick you out. That's just freaking SAD.

I'll never forget Don telling someone to sit down from the freaking stage in Chicago. The poor thing was just standing and clapping along with a big smile on her face. He humiliated her in front of everyone.

I get, as an audience member, not wanting people in front of you to stand when you're sitting. Personally, I don't enjoy standing if no one else is standing because I feel awkward and self-conscious, so I choose not to stand unless there are at least some other people doing so. I just think the band should stay out of it.

I understand. But at the same time, while I agree Frey and Henley tried to make it painstakingly close to studio, Walsh and Felder (e.g.) deviated many times from this. Look at certain songs: Doolin Dalton, Hotel California, You Never Cry Like a Lover, Take It Easy. Esp. with Walsh and Felder, they were quite different (not wildly, but you get the point). To elaborate, in Hotel, Walsh plays the beginning of his part differently, and pick scraping is done which is definitely NOT a part of studio. With this I end here. The point is, a few people desire the imperfection and rawness of a bootleg.

I just talked quite a lot because WalshFan made a suggestion about everyone being only fine with studio versions. That's why. If you want, I'll delete my posts.

And about that incident, sad! Henley shocks me sometimes. I notice all the stuffy anecdotes nearly everytime involve Henley.

longtimeeaglesfan
05-31-2018, 05:51 PM
My personal concert preference is to stand and dance if the music is lively. I'm 6' 4" and my now wife is 5'5" so she generally stands in front of me so we at least aren't double blocking the view. It is more enjoyable if those around are dancing as well. If someone is standing in front of me then I will stand - it does tend to create a ripple effect. I do feel self conscious if there are mostly people sitting - and at an Eagles concert many of the attendees aren't in the best shape to stand for extended periods. I think the band feeds off the crowd and if they are up on stage rocking away and the audience is just sitting on their butts, it isn't the greatest experience. There are the people that just stand and don't move which I don't quite understand, but they have paid for their ticket so I think they can do as they wish. Far more annoying to me, are they people who talk or continually walk back & forth to the concessions or restroom while the band is performing.

WalshFan88
05-31-2018, 08:24 PM
My personal concert preference is to stand and dance if the music is lively. I'm 6' 4" and my now wife is 5'5" so she generally stands in front of me so we at least aren't double blocking the view. It is more enjoyable if those around are dancing as well. If someone is standing in front of me then I will stand - it does tend to create a ripple effect. I do feel self conscious if there are mostly people sitting - and at an Eagles concert many of the attendees aren't in the best shape to stand for extended periods. I think the band feeds off the crowd and if they are up on stage rocking away and the audience is just sitting on their butts, it isn't the greatest experience. There are the people that just stand and don't move which I don't quite understand, but they have paid for their ticket so I think they can do as they wish. Far more annoying to me, are they people who talk or continually walk back & forth to the concessions or restroom while the band is performing.

I'm 6'8 so normally I don't stand as I do feel for those sitting behind me. But I think it should be up to the people attending.

Delilah
06-03-2018, 04:20 PM
I chose the last option. It should depend on the songs and the crowd’s mood and outlook. When I saw Henley’s solo concert last year, most of the time we sat. A month or so later, at Duran Duran’s concert, I along with most everyone else, stood and danced the whole time, except for maybe 1 or 2 songs. The crowd was somewhat younger than the one at Don’s show, too. I don’t worry too much about blocking someone’s view b/c I’m short. However, I will sit down and maybe get up periodically if the people behind me are mostly sitting. My husband tends to stay seated which is a good thing since he’s 6’3.

To tie-in with the live show comments, I was listening to a 1975 Seattle bootleg concert, and Glenn can be heard saying, “Alright, thank you, let’s dance, let’s stand up and have a good time!” right before Oh Carol (a live vs studio performance would be an interesting topic).

:rofl:

New Kid In Town
06-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Delilah - I have to say peneumbra cracked me up too !

Boy, we have some tall guys on the board. I am only 5'1" and have always wished I was taller. Such is life.

shunlvswx
06-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Most concert I go to, people sit. For me. I do not like to have a tall picture in from of me. I'm 5'5 1/2 and if someone taller than me is front of me, I'll be moving side to side throughout the night trying to see because the person in front of me keeps moving and it makes me not enjoy the concert. To think about it now, I rather seat in the stadium style seats than on the floor.

When I saw Don last year, I think we did stand toward the end, but we were standing majority of the time. When I saw Joe two years ago, we stood toward the end.

I can't stand that longer anymore since I broke my ankle last year. It just depends. If everybody is standing, I will stand.

Austin. I didn't know you were that tall.

NightMistBlue
06-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Me neither! Dang, 6’8” is impressive.

robertnunez
06-23-2018, 04:47 PM
I can't say that this policy is nice or bad. I think it should be up to the people attending. If you are forced to vote for it, perhaps, it is fine!