PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "On the Border"

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
03-22-2009, 12:53 AM
On the Border was released this day in Eagles history (March 22, 1974). I thought it would be fun to pay tribute to it. I've set the board's default style to the On the Border style for the week and in this thread, we can post our thoughts on it, our favorites songs from it, or anything else we'd like to talk about regarding the album.

I think this is a great album. With the exceptions of "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track, I love every song on it. It's such a shame that they don't play any song from this album in concert anymore. "Already Gone" ROCKS live, and "Best of My Love" was their first #1 hit as well as a favorite of mine (and many others).

AzEaglesFan
03-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Best of My Love is still my favorite Eagles song.

Koala
03-22-2009, 04:10 AM
I love every song from this album,
especially I like Already Gone, Best of My Love! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Great idea, Soda!

I love On The Border. I listen to it a lot in the car - it's a good cruising album. To me, it's got a very youthful vibe, with songs like On The Border, James Dean and Already Gone, interjected with some more introspective, slower stuff like Ol' 55 and You Never Cry Like A Lover. I'm a fan of the latter, but I do tend to feel that something more could have been made of it. Don's vocals don't shine through as much as usual... Perhaps this was intentional, I don't know. Either way, I enjoy the song. Good Day In Hell is a great rocker, and when you get to Best Of My Love, it's like things have stepped up a notch. It's got a more tender, mature feel from the rest of the album - kind of a taste of what was to come. I know many people cite it as their favourite Eagles song, and it's definitely high up on my list. I also like Midnight Flyer. It reminds me of Kirshner and the guys having fun!

One more shallow reason for appreciating the album - the guys look fantastic in the artwork! (See top of page for proof.) Gotta love the funky little mushrooms on Don's shirt.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Love the celebration and love the board style. Since this is officially "On the Border" week on The Border, I'm going to try to post a thought each day instead of putting everything I want to say about the album in to one post. So my thought for today ...

This is when the band brought in a fifth Eagle to move toward more rock-oriented songs. The "late addition" of Don Felder's mean guitar gave the band a harder sound. Felder only played on a few tracks on this album, so his full impact wasn't felt until the band's next album.

Glennhoney
03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
..beautiful job with the board Soda........loved that album...and I shall listen to it today...:bye:

EagleLady
03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Great Album, there is not a song on there I don't like

Glennsallnighter
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I love the new default Soda! Once again well done. As for the Album, definitely on of their better ones. I love the title track, but my favourite has to be 'Already Gone'. Its a brilliant driving song and especially suits when you are driving away from somewhere you don't want to be!

TimothyBFan
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Sounds like I'm pretty much with the everyone else here. I really do like every song on this album but my faves are the title track, Already Gone and my all time favorite Eagles song, Best Of My Love. I wish they would put at least one of those into the set list.

Freypower
03-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I absolutely adore this album but I might emulate Dreamer and post different thoughts about it all week.

Regarding Best Of My Love it was a huge favourite of mine when I first heard it but now I think it has a rather repetititve melody and the harmonies are somewhat over-produced. It has some very insightful lyrics particularly towards the end, but there is no way I could call it one of my favourite Eagles songs these days. If I listen to the album as a whole it seems tacked on to the end. I know how much many people love the song. While I admire it, as I say, I no longer love it.

I think it is tragic that Already Gone has been dropped, somewhat 'kitschy' though it is in parts. It is hugely exhilarating. I find the song very hard to write about. Its appeal for me is perhaps too obvious for me to explain.

The problem with You Never Cry Like A Lover is again that it is over-produced - you can see why they switched to Szymczyk. I don't find the lyrics as sexist as others do. I am not a fan of such lines as 'you can't get loose when there's too much light' which to me ranks down there with 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone'. As a portrait of .... frigidity..... what other word is there? it works reasonably well.

More later.

EagleLady
03-22-2009, 09:10 PM
I have to strongly disagree with you on Best Of My Love. I feel it is the strongest song on OTB. The melody and the harmony are so beautiful.

Freypower
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
EL, I appreciate that you 'strongly disagree' with me about the song. However I have as much right to express my opinion on it as you do. I know that in some quarters it is heresy to state that Best Of My Love is not perfect, but I am afraid this is the way I feel about it. I did state that I was aware how many people love the song. On this board everybody should feel free to occasionally express opinions which diverge from the majority.

As to where it rates, I didn't mention that, but it would be about halfway down for me.

EagleLady
03-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I was just disagreeing with yours. It's cool we don't see eye to eye on the same things. Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.

Stars
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
"Best of My Love" and "Ol 55" are two songs I would LOVE to see the Eagles add to their set. In my dream, Glenn asked me which song I would love to hear that they weren't doing, and without hesitation, I told him, "Ol' 55". If I could choose another, it would definitely be "Best of My Love"!:thumbsup:

Scarlet Sun
03-23-2009, 01:31 AM
1. Best Of My Love - 5
2. Already Gone - 3
3. Is It True - 3
4. My Man - 3
5. Ol' '55 - 3
6. Midnight Flyer - 2 (down a point for its awful, awful production)
7. On The Border - 2 I dig the Temptations bridge
8. James Dean - 2
9. Good Day In Hell - 2
10. You Never Cry Like A Lover - 1

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Okay - I used SS's scale to rank the songs on the album in the order that I like them and how much I like them. As you can see, I like this album a LOT!

1. Already Gone - 5
2. Best Of My Love - 5
3. Good Day In Hell - 5
4. James Dean - 5
5. My Man - 5
6. On The Border - 4
7. Ol' '55 - 4
8. Midnight Flyer - 4
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover - 3
10. Is It True - 3

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

TimothyBFan
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok--I really like this idea so let's give it a try myself...

1. Already Gone - 5+
2. Best Of My Love - 5++
3. Good Day In Hell - 4
4. James Dean - 5
5. My Man - 4
6. On The Border - 5
7. Ol' '55 - 4
8. Midnight Flyer - 5
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover - 3
10. Is It True - 3

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

I guess I kinda like it a bit also! ;)

Freypower
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I only just heard about the 'meh' thing recently.

1. Good Day In Hell - 5
2. Ol' 55 - 5
3. Already Gone - 5
4. James Dean - 5
5. My Man - 4
6. On The Border - 4
7. Best Of My Love - 3
8. You Never Cry Like A Lover - 2
9. Is It True - 2
10. Midnight Flyer - 2 bordering on 1

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

I know a lot of people love Midnight Flyer but it is far too bluegrass for me. I think Is It True has a thoughtful lyric which can be overlooked, but the structure of the song isn't enough to make it 'good'. My Man, while I am very fond of it, can be a bit cloying.

The outstanding track on this album for me is Good Day In Hell, the single most underrated song of the band's entire career. It rocks. I like the jaded cynicism of it. The vocals and the guitar work are superb.

Scarlet Sun
03-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I know a lot of people love Midnight Flyer but it is far too bluegrass for me. I think Is It True has a thoughtful lyric which can be overlooked, but the structure of the song isn't enough to make it 'good'. My Man, while I am very fond of it, can be a bit cloying.

The outstanding track on this album for me is Good Day In Hell, the single most underrated song of the band's entire career. It rocks. I like the jaded cynicism of it. The vocals and the guitar work are superb.
Your opinions are an amusing "photo negative" of mine! I dig the bluegrass of Midnight Flyer, the pop structure of Is It True, and the pathos of My Man. The cynicism of Good Day In Hell is exactly what ruins this otherwise "good song" for me(and most latter-day Eagles songs as well, for that matter). I think Midnight Flyer sounds way, way too slick, though. They really missed Glyn Johns on that one.

Peekaboo
03-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I saw this thread on here the other day but my time was limited so i didn't get the chance to post here till now. But since then, i've listened to the whole album, which is something I haven't done in a long time. I usually have my ipod shuffling a mixture of Eagles and solo songs. When I first got into the Eagles, Best of My Love was near the top of my list but now Already Gone, James Dean, and Ol 55 are right up there with it. I still adore Don's voice in BOML but after going back and listening to the whole album, I think that all of the songs on the album are great and they each have their own strengths about them.

Fan_For_Life
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Border is one of my favorite cds. I listen to this cd at least once a week.

My favorite songs:

Already Gone~ A fun song right from the start. I wish they would include this in every setlist. One of my all time favorite songs.

You Never Cry Like A Lover~ I like this song. I usually repeat this two or three times when I'm listening to the cd. The melody and lyrics are incredible. I love how Glenn uses his voice, throughout the whole song. And how it plays off Don's voice. Unless I'm driving I listen to this one with my eyes closed.

Midnight Flyer~ This is about the only Eagles song I skip over. A little too "country-fried" for me.

My Man~ another one of my all time favorites. Soothing southern rock vibe. Same vibe I get when I hear Skynrd's Curtis Low or Tesla's Song and Emotion.

One more then I have to go, and will finish later.

On The Border~ Don brings out the funk for this one. Makes me want to put some shades on and sit on the porch. Don't ask me why it just does. A little comical too. I love the change in tempo about half way into the song.

8-)

03-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Love reading everyone's thoughts on this album. Another thing that made this such a transitional album for the band, besides bringing in Felder, was that they started recording the album in London with Glyn Johns producing it (as they had with Eagles and Desperado), but ended up leaving London in frustration. They came back to the states, hired Bill Szymczyk to finish production on the remainder of the album, and he has been the band in some capacity ever since.

sodascouts
03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Coincidentally, Best of My Love came up recently in an interview Willie found of Don from the Deminski & Doyle show (http://dd.wcsx.com/?p=1795). In it, he says that's the song that he is most dissatisfied with and would like to redo. Yet, it was their first number 1 hit and is much beloved. I found that very interesting!

Mrs Frey
03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
This is a great idea for a thread, Soda, and I love the default theme for The Border. :applause:

Second to "Long Road Out Of Eden", "On The Border" is my favourite Eagles album.

"Already Gone", "Best Of My Love", the title track, "Good Day In Hell" and "James Dean" are among my favourite Eagles recordings. I also love "Ol' 55". I also enjoy "Midnight Flyer" very much. Glenn's :heart: slide guitar work on that song, as well as Randy's bass work, are top class.

The lyrics "and then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself" from "Already Gone" still brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it sung :lol:.

I've always wondered who the lead guitarist was on "You Never Cry Like A Lover" - the playing sounds so George Harrisonesque, which to me, as a Beatles fan, is very interesting. Sadly, there is no credit in the liner notes.

Freypower
03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Border is one of my favorite cds. I listen to this cd at least once a week.

My favorite songs:

Already Gone~ A fun song right from the start. I wish they would include this in every setlist. One of my all time favorite songs.

You Never Cry Like A Lover~ I like this song. I usually repeat this two or three times when I'm listening to the cd. The melody and lyrics are incredible. I love how Glenn uses his voice, throughout the whole song. And how it plays off Don's voice. Unless I'm driving I listen to this one with my eyes closed.

Midnight Flyer~ This is about the only Eagles song I skip over. A little too "country-fried" for me.

My Man~ another one of my all time favorites. Soothing southern rock vibe. Same vibe I get when I hear Skynrd's Curtis Low or Tesla's Song and Emotion.

One more then I have to go, and will finish later.

On The Border~ Don brings out the funk for this one. Makes me want to put some shades on and sit on the porch. Don't ask me why it just does. A little comical too. I love the change in tempo about half way into the song.

8-)

In You Never Cry Like A Lover, where do you hear Glenn? The predominant harmony voices that I hear are Bernie and Randy in this song. I can barely hear Glenn in it at all. I'm thinking of the 'try a little harder' and 'I was hopin' you were the one' parts. Glenn may be there, but he is not prominent. The 'cry like a lover' harmony part near the end again to me sounds like Randy, not Glenn.

MF, I think it is Bernie playing lead on this song. If the whole song had been at this tempo it may have worked better.

Fan_For_Life
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
In You Never Cry Like A Lover, where do you hear Glenn? The predominant harmony voices that I hear are Bernie and Randy in this song. I can barely hear Glenn in it at all. I'm thinking of the 'try a little harder' and 'I was hopin' you were the one' parts. Glenn may be there, but he is not prominent. The 'cry like a lover' harmony part near the end again to me sounds like Randy, not Glenn.

Either way I like the song.

03-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Me too, FFL. I find the song very enjoyable, even if it's not one of my favorites. I know some of you think the lyrics are sexist, but I don't really see it that way. For me, the lyrics just reflect unfulfilled love for both the man and the woman. I don't believe the band ever played this live, did they?

Maleah
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Well it's not a song that I tend to listen to a lot, although I DO like it, but I must say that Don's vocals on it are quite gorgeous :D

TimothyBFan
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
I know some of you think the lyrics are sexist, but I don't really see it that way. For me, the lyrics just reflect unfulfilled love for both the man and the woman. I don't believe the band ever played this live, did they?

Really? Sexist huh? I don't believe I had ever heard that before. I agree with you, I always just figured it was a man telling the woman that she had "lost that lovin' feelin'". Hmm- Interesting.

ochiba kid 1
03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
can't comment as of when the Border came out ( was only 3 at the time ) think it is underrated in many peoples eyes

Cheers Gary

Brooke
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
First of all, great idea to celebrate the albums anniversaries! I love all the board styles and it's fun to use different ones.

I went back all the way to January 2007 when we 'Ranked the 6 studio albums' thread. I can't believe it's been that long ago! Here's what I wrote about OTB back then:

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. You Never Cry like a Lover and Midnight Flyer I don't care for and My Man and On the Border are just ok. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

It looks like these two songs are pretty much eveyone's favorites still. But how in the world did I skip over Good Day In Hell? I absolutely love it and would so love for them to do it in concert. (I know-it ain't ever gonna happen.) Maybe because I hadn't seen it on one of the old boots yet. Glenn rocks out on it! :nod: I'm also very disappointed that they dropped AG from their set list. It's still up there as one of my all time favorites and so is BOML.

Freypower
03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Just a couple of comments about the songs I haven't mentioned yet:

Ol'55: I love this. I love the whole atmosphere of it. A while ago we had a discussion on whether it might actually be about a dying man as opposed to a man who's just left his lover's house in his car. I love Glenn's piano and vocals and the way Don sings the bridge.

James Dean: Slightly corny perhaps but somehow it works. My favourite part is 'so hungry and so lean', not only because it is a Shakespearean reference but I don't necessarily think it's only about James Dean if you get my drift.

On The Border: Scarlet Sun made an excellent comment on how she likes the Temptations bridge. Spot on. When they all take the vocal parts in that section it's like the Temptations' socially conscious songs like Ball Of Confusion. It works very well (although my favourite is the 'and we wanna know' part. DOH). I think it captures the Nixon era very well. They haven't really done anything else like it, although perhaps Business As Usual harks back to it (as does Inside Job).

Scarlet Sun
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Border: Scarlet Sun made an excellent comment on how she likes the Temptations bridge. Spot on. When they all take the vocal parts in that section it's like the Temptations' socially conscious songs like Ball Of Confusion. It works very well
Randy - Eddie Kendricks
Bernie - Melvin Franklin
Glenn - Paul Williams
Don - Dennis Edwards

03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Our post yesterday got me to wondering which of the tracks on the album the band has performed live. I think it may be as follows, but anyone feel free to correct this if you know of something different.

Performed live:

Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day In Hell
The Best Of My Love

Never performed live:

You Never Cry Like a Lover
My Man
On the Border
Is It True?

TimothyBFan
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
And isn't funny that the title song has never been performed live especially since it does get quite abit of radio play?

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
According to my live show collection, you're right about which songs have been performed live, Dreamer. Oh, how I'd love to hear Best of My Love or Ol' 55 in person! Perhaps they skipped the title track because they couldn't reproduce its sound effectively live. It remains the only Eagles title track to never be played in concert. However, I have no explanation as to why they never performed Bernie's masterpiece, My Man.

Regarding the sexism in You Never Cry Like a Lover - perhaps I've just read too much feminist literature, lol, but I chafe at how the guy in the song blames EVERYTHING on the woman and her lack of sexual response to him. I've got news for this guy. If a woman isn't enjoying sex with you, perhaps YOU'RE the one that needs to "try a little harder." To me, it sound like a typical sexist male response when things don't go right in the bedroom.

That said, it has good points. I love the broken down carousel metaphor, and while I don't appreciate the lyrics, I do like the way the song picks up energy at the "Try a little harder part." Unfortunately, that energy dissipates as soon as we get back to the verse. My favorite part is the repeated "I was hoping you were the one..." where we get a little insight into the stark bitterness of the rest of the song. However, that bitterness - which yes, comes off in a sexist way to me - leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the plodding nature of the verses and spiritless ending drags the song down on a musical level as well.

JMHO!

Scarlet Sun
03-26-2009, 04:10 PM
However, I have no explanation as to why they never performed Bernie's masterpiece, My Man.
I hope they did, and we just don't know about it yet

Regarding the sexism in You Never Cry Like a Lover
there's at least one on every album, and these are the tracks that score a "1" on my scale

Fan_For_Life
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I've never thought of sexism when hearing You Never Cry Like A Lover. I hear a man who may have been trying hard and the woman not responding in a positive way to his approaches. Possibly the man senses a love gone sour or something like that. And is pleading one last time and explaining his point of view.

Freypower
03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
There's no argument about what you say here, but Soda's point is that the narrator blames the entire situation on the woman. At least in Best Of My Love he tries to see the situation from both sides.

Fan_For_Life
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
There's no doubt the song can be taken from that perspective.

My perspective is maybe she is to blame in this particular relationship.

Freypower
03-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, at the risk of sounding pompous, every relationship is a two way street, and the woman's perspective and feelings should be just as important and worthy of discussion as the man's. It takes two to either succeed or fail. In this song the man thinks the woman is entirely to blame, as you put it, for the relationship breaking down, so of course he's describing it as he sees it. But there has to be more to it than that.

sodascouts
03-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I can understand why some folks would argue that if she deserves it, it's not sexist to call her on it, but rare is the time when truly one person is entirely to blame! But that's just my perspective and everyone else's is just as valid.

Fan_For_Life
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I absolutely agree with you both 100% on that the majority of the time it's both involved.

03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I've got yet another interpretation of the lyrics of the song. IMO, I don't think he is putting the blame all on the woman. At the very point in the song where the "try a little harder" starts, he switches over talking about himself. The lines are:

I can't live with you baby, can't live without it
And sometimes I believe in love
Sometimes I doubt it
But your life goes on
Like a broken down carousel
Where somebody left the music on

The "try a little harder" could apply to the man or the woman. As I said earlier, to me, he is just lamenting over the fact that the relationship isn't working out for either of them.

In any event, as we've often said, good songwriters leave the lyrics open for different interpretations. There's not supposed to be a right or wrong.

03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Well this morning while I've been catching up here on the board, I put On the Border in the CD player, and cranked it up. Yep - I definitely love this album. And BTW, since YNCLAL has been the focus of so much discussion, I listened to it twice. I really like the song, and always forget to mention the awesome guitar. And I don't care what Don Henley says, BOML is NOT whiny - it's gorgeous. :wink:

Brooke
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, I dug out the cd and listened to it twice this afternoon while on a trip to the grocery store. I'd forgotten some of these songs. I really listened to them and found I really pretty much like all of them. The favorites are the same. Midnight Flyer is my least favorite, nearly getting skipped on the second listen. It's just too much banjo and Ooooooooo, oooooooo's for me.

But My Man is so pretty. Nearly brought me to tears. I love that line 'Like a flower, he bloomed 'til that old hickory wind called him home'. Awwwwww. :-(

YNCLAL, even though it is a bit sexist, I still like it.

EagleLady
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't see how YNCLAL is sexist

sodascouts
03-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Now that our week is coming to a close, I gave OTB a listen from start to finish and I really enjoyed it. It's a great album!

EagleLady
03-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree, I also enjoyed it from start to finish. Side Note, Nancy I love your new Avatar :inlove:

03-29-2009, 10:57 AM
I loved the way we celebrated the 35th anniversary "On the Border" week here on The Border and particularly in this thread. It was a fun, interesting, and informative thread. It was also a good opportunity to go back and listen to the entire album as several of us did, and reflect on what a great piece of work the band created during an important 'transition' period in its history.

Brooke
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
This is when the band brought in a fifth Eagle to move toward more rock-oriented songs. The "late addition" of Don Felder's mean guitar gave the band a harder sound. Felder only played on a few tracks on this album, so his full impact wasn't felt until the band's next album.

I'm getting confused here. Bernie was obviously still here since My Man is on it, but he left and Felder joined? And Joe was already here too? Strange that they actually put out an album with personnel changes in the middle of it. But it was a great album anyway. :cool:

I've really enjoyed the celebration, too.

Freypower
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
No. What Dreamer said was correct. Felder was a late addition. Bernie was still an Eagle. All that happened is the number of members increased from four to five while the album was being made. Bernie did not leave until after One Of These Nights.

sodascouts
03-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Don't forget, Brooke, that there was a time when both Bernie and Felder were in the band!

Brooke
03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Don't forget, Brooke, that there was a time when both Bernie and Felder were in the band!

Ok, I didn't realize that.

See? You learn something here every darn day! :laugh:

And Soda, that av is very hs & g! :nod:

Scarlet Sun
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Is Felder on more than just the two songs on OTB?

Freypower
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
As far as I know Felder plays on Good Day In Hell and Already Gone only.

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Today, back in 1974, the Eagles released On the Border. We'll be celebrating that this week with a Survivor as well as just listening to it and commenting on it in the thread. Here's to On the Border! :cheers:

Brooke
03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
36 Years! Wow! Still love this album! :birthday:

03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Happy 36th anniversary to On the Border!!!

Love this board style and how we're celebrating this week. As I've said many times, I believe On the Border is the band's most underrated album. I think our Survivor game will be very spirited as they usually are when most of the album's songs are so good.

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree, Dreamer. It's underrated. I can't believe they don't play anything from it in concert anymore. And let's not forget it spawned the band's first number one single, the lovely "Best of My Love."

Super Frey
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh wow how cool:thumbsup: Happy Birthday On The Border, another Eagles great!:soda:

TimothyBFan
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow 36 years? Gosh I'm OLD!!

Maybe I'm the only one but this isn't one of my favorite albums and it seems the songs on it I either really, really love (6 of them) or just don't really care if I hear much! I'm not exactly sure why. And in listening to it this weekend and this morning, I realized that it's been a very long time since I actually sat down and listened to this whole album. I admit when a few of these songs on here come up on my ipod, I skip them. :blush:

Go ahead--I know you all want to---HAVE AT IT!!!! (hope I don't get banned and stoned to death)

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh no, you won't get banned for that, Willie. You get three strikes here unless you're a psycho or a spammer. So that post was just STRIKE ONE!

Hehe, j/k. Actually, I don't care for every song on there either. There's one I especially dislike that will be my first target in the Survivor!

Brooke
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
:fainting: Soda, I must add that I love your new av :heart: and banner. Divine!

Troubadour
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Happy Birthday, On The Border!

I'm really looking forward to the Survivor. I love this album.

Koala
03-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Happy Birthday On The Border!
On this album are a lot of really good songs!

Fan_For_Life
03-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Same age as me. :) Happy belated b-day On The Border!!

sodascouts
03-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Once again it's time to celebrate On The Border, which was released on March 22, 1974 - 37 years ago. Let's give OTB some love! ;)

I encourage people to post some thoughts on the album and/or songs from it in honor of its "birthday."

sodascouts
03-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Also, I wanted to add - I went back and re-read this thread, and I noticed that repeatedly people said they wanted to hear "Best of My Love" and "Already Gone" live. Well, one of our wishes came true!

Here's to the Eagles returning "Best of My Love" to the setlist! :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZ3a7wwdhY

Annabel
03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Happy birthday OTB. :thumbsup: BOML is one of my absolute favourite songs. Love the close ups of Don in the video. :nahnah:

tequila girl
03-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Happy Birthday OTB :birthday: I was 18 when I bought this in '74 and this was one of my favourites! :heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lLPOn0jvwU

TimothyBFan
03-22-2011, 06:55 AM
This album contains 2 of my very favorite Eagles songs ever, AG & BOML yet it's never been one of my favorite Eagles albums. Over the years, I have learned to appreciate it more, especially the title song.

Prettymaid
03-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Besides the songs already mentioned, I would like to give a special shout out to Ol' 55. It has a beautiful melody and a lyric full of imagery. It's a very pretty song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaC_cChs6hA

Koala
03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday On The Border! LOVE this album!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6Fa_1pMCU

sodascouts
03-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Besides the songs already mentioned, I would like to give a special shout out to Ol' 55. It has a beautiful melody and a lyric full of imagery. It's a very pretty song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaC_cChs6hA

I'm with you. I adore this song!

Brooke
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
37 years already! Unbelievable! I love this album. There's really not a song I don't like. My favorites are pretty much the same as everyone else's; Already Gone, Best of My Love, and Good Day In Hell.

I even changed my av, which doesn't happen that often! And how about a little On The Border eye candy! (And AG just started playing on the radio! :fear: )

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/eagles1974bouldershoot.jpg

Aren't they cute?! :nod: Woo hoo hoo!

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Here's to ON THE BORDER!!!!!

It honestly is probably my favorite album after Hotel California.

My faves are Already Gone, Best Of My Love, and James Dean. I loved to play Already Gone in the Stone Eagles when we were playing. Such a fun solo to play and to sing!!!

Prettymaid
03-22-2011, 12:20 PM
(And AG just started playing on the radio! :fear: )

Spooky!

03-22-2011, 01:20 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER!!!

I have already commented in this thread in previous years about how much I love this album. It is probably my third or fourth favorite, but I honestly don't think there is a bad a song on the album. I think it's vastly underrated and IMO, it was the first album that really highlighted the band's versatility.

whitcap
03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
On the Border is my favorite Eagles album. I absolutely love every song on this album.

aivliss
03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
I like the whole album a lot, especially the title track!

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Once again, it's time to wish a happy birthday to On the Border on the anniversary of its release: March 22, 1974!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-22-2012, 12:26 AM
This is a very different look!

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
I know. It's like someone replaced a 60 watt lightbulb with a 150 watt one! However, when I make these styles, I like to try to evoke the color scheme of the album cover. Therefore, it's gonna be a bright week! Lol

WalshFan88
03-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Happy Anniversary to On The Border!!! My 2nd favorite Eagles album, The Long Run being 3rd. Don't need to say which is 1st! :hilarious:

Felder really "makes" this album, for me. The move from less country to more rock is big, but also the guitar duo dynamic and twin solos.

TimothyBFan
03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
I just loving pulling up the board to find a new background because I know it's a special celebration!!!

Happy Birthday ON THE BORDER!!!

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Happy Birthday ON THE BORDER!!! :birthday::partytime:

I agree with Austin about the Felder statements and of course I love ALREADY GONE as being in my top 2 Eagles songs... it fluctuates with HC for #1... depending on my mood that day. lol :grooving:

Windeagle
03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Love this album. This reminds me that I need to post a picture of the huge replica I did of this album cover in needlepoint back in college. It's still hanging on the wall of our computer room.

I need to have my husband or daughter help me set up a Photobucket first though.

whitcap
03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Happy birthday On the Border! This is my favorite Eagles album :)

Brooke
03-22-2012, 11:01 AM
I just loving pulling up the board to find a new background

? Why do I not get this? I'm set up for EOC default and I get the red and black one.

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Maybe log out and log back in? If that doesn't work, just select the On the Border style from the drop-down menu on the bottom left of the front page.

Regarding the album, I really like the guitar part Felder contributed to Already Gone, but since he wasn't involved in the other songs except for Good Day in Hell, I can't say his presence made that much of a difference in their sound on this album. Still, like I said, that is one slammin' guitar part!

As I've said before, my favorite is Best of My Love, and I'm soooo glad they added it to the set! Now they just need to add back Already Gone and Ol' 55 from this album!

Brooke
03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe log out and log back in? If that doesn't work, just select the On the Border style from the drop-down menu on the bottom left of the front page.

That worked! Thanks! I didn't want to be 'out of it'! :lol:

As for the album, I love it! Like all Eagles albums! Already Gone is one of my all time favorites and hope they put it back in their setlist. A wish would be to hear Good Day In Hell live, too.

WalshFan88
03-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Regarding the album, I really like the guitar part Felder contributed to Already Gone, but since he wasn't involved in the other songs except for Good Day in Hell, I can't say his presence made that much of a difference in their sound on this album. Still, like I said, that is one slammin' guitar part!

As I've said before, my favorite is Best of My Love, and I'm soooo glad they added it to the set! Now they just need to add back Already Gone and Ol' 55 from this album!

True. But IIRC he also played on James Dean - all of the live videos I've seen show him playing that lead with Bernie like was heard on the record - another one of my favs on there. I think it's on that DKRC film and also Houston '77. I've only seen Glenn play rhythm on that one and usually Felder/Leadon or Felder/Walsh did the twin leads. It sounds like Felder's Les Paul on the song, fatter than the other guitars on it.

And for me although he's only prominent/featured on 2/3 songs it was the start of something big - more rock and twin guitar solos and both of those are huge for a rock but also guitar duo fan like me. Of course when Walsh came in it went to what is called "classic rock".

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
And for me although he's only prominent/featured on 2/3 songs it was the start of something big - more rock and twin guitar solos and both of those are huge for a rock but also guitar duo fan like me. Of course when Walsh came in it went to what is called "classic rock".

:nod: I really can't word it any better than you, so I'll just keep nodding in agreement.

zeldabjr
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Happy Birthday "On the Border"...just had to get it out and listen to it today...soo many good songs..

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
True. But IIRC he also played on James Dean - all of the live videos I've seen show him playing that lead with Bernie like was heard on the record - another one of my favs on there. I think it's on that DKRC film and also Houston '77. I've only seen Glenn play rhythm on that one and usually Felder/Leadon or Felder/Walsh did the twin leads. It sounds like Felder's Les Paul on the song, fatter than the other guitars on it.

I can totally see why you consider it the start of something big, even though he only played on two songs.

I did go and check it just to make sure on the album liner note credits - you never know when I remember something wrong - but turns out my memory was correct in this case.

One of the reasons they brought Felder in was so he could play guitar live while Glenn and Bernie switched to other instruments - perhaps dual guitar, whatever. Don't be fooled by live performances. The guitar on that song is credited to Bernie Leadon in the liner notes. Let's give Bernie his deserved props!

03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

Like many of you, I also absolutely LOVE this album. Also, like many of you, Already Gone is my favorite. However, I pretty much love all the songs on the album. I have to agree with Soda though that I don't think Felder's presence on Already Gone and Good Day In Hell is a huge influence the overall sound of this album. However, his work on the two songs was definitely impressive enough to land him a spot in the band.

Tori
03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Happy Anniversary, On The Border!

Gotta say, I have a lot of favorites on this album. Most recently it's been Good Day In Hell, but I also love Best Of My Love, Already Gone, On The Border, Ol' 55, Midnight Flyer and James Dean. Just a really good album altogether. :heart:

GlennLover
03-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Love this album too!!! Tori, I think you've covered my favorites, but I l:heart:ve all the songs. I keep going back & forth between this album & Desperado as to which is my favorite Eagles album.

WalshFan88
03-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I can totally see why you consider it the start of something big, even though he only played on two songs.

I did go and check it just to make sure on the album liner note credits - you never know when I remember something wrong - but turns out my memory was correct in this case.

One of the reasons they brought Felder in was so he could play guitar live while Glenn and Bernie switched to other instruments - perhaps dual guitar, whatever. Don't be fooled by live performances. The guitar on that song is credited to Bernie Leadon in the liner notes. Let's give Bernie his deserved props!

Hmm. I wonder if they double tracked the twin solo at the end, if it was Bernie alone. It sounds like a Les Paul to me (too fat to be a Tele/Strat) so I bet Leadon used his LP Deluxe, which you can see in some vids. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the studio!

And just for clarification I didn't mean Felder was the only thing good about the album, it's just that his presence on AG and such is what made the album my 2nd fav to me personally. Hence "make" the album for me. But I love lots of songs from OTB. AG, JD, GDIH, BOML, and OTB are my favs. I much prefer the whole feel and vibe of this album to its predecessor. More rock, less country. Even songs that Felder didn't play on are more rocking, JD as a good example. Just that shift in sound. I even like stuff like Midnight Flyer. This album seems more upbeat and whatnot compared to Desperado and Eagles LP, rock and country aside, the whole vibe seems more upbeat than the previous two albums. I'm always more for upbeat stuff anyway - even with songs like Ol' 55 and BOML, it still seems more upbeat than the other two to me.

EaglesKiwi
03-23-2012, 03:59 AM
This album seems more upbeat and whatnot compared to Desperado and Eagles LP, rock and country aside, the whole vibe seems more upbeat than the previous two albums. I'm always more for upbeat stuff anyway - even with songs like Ol' 55 and BOML, it still seems more upbeat than the other two to me.
I think they were feeling more upbeat in the studio, working with Bill Szymczyk!! 8-)

WalshFan88
03-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I think they were feeling more upbeat in the studio, working with Bill Szymczyk!! 8-)

True!!! Definitely my favorite producer....

Henley Honey
03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
On a more frivilous note, how hot does Bernie look in that picture? The eyes have it. Now before you all jump on me, the rest of them look hot too, but that's one of the best Bernie pics I've seen.

sodascouts
03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I agree. Randy as well (although more so in the individual shot).

Shadowland07
03-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Love this album and EVERY song on it. I love Henley's drumming and Glenn's guitar work. It's a nice album to play while driving around with the sun shinin and wind blowin. The album has rock n roll, blue grass, ballads, and a bit of funk all mixed together to create a great album. Though I do wish Bernie had at least another song on the album in which he sings lead, but he does some superb guitar work as always.

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 03:17 AM
It is a great blend. I'm definitely going to have to put this cd in the car this week.

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I know this has already been posted elsewhere but I can't get enough of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

03-27-2012, 09:13 PM
I'll never tire of that. I listened to On the Border on my way home from Myrtle Beach on Sunday. We put it in the CD player right before we reached 'South of the Border' on the NC/SC border. Absolutely, never get tired of hearing it either. :thumbsup:

lizzyplays
03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I know this has already been posted elsewhere but I can't get enough of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

One of my favorite vids of them! And song. :-)

GlennLover
03-28-2012, 12:19 AM
One of my favorite vids of them! And song. :-)

Mine too! :)

BBKron
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes, I also want to add my accolades to the Celebration of 'On The Border'. I also love this album. It is my 2nd favorite overall, right after their true masterpiece, Desperado. But, I think sometimes On The Border gets somewhat lost in the shuffle of their other great albums (Like Desperado, Hotel California, and their later albums), and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves as a great album itself. I really like every song on the album, there are no weak tracks, but some of the standouts for me are Already Gone (perhaps their best pure rocker?), James Dean, Good Day in Hell, My Man, Ol' 55, and Best of My Love. My only complaint - sure wish they would have included Bernie's lost rocker, 'Georgia Peach' on the album (instead it seems lost forever).

Just a couple other comments about what others have said. First, I think the notion that this was the album where The Eagles moved away from country-rock and became a more straight-forward rock band is way overstated, and not really supported by the music itself. Although the addition of Felder certainly added some scintillating guitar leads to Already Gone (and would later lead to a harder rock edge), overall this album is no more 'Rockin' or any less 'country' than its predecessor. Desperado, although often cited for it's 'country' sound, is really not very country at all. More Bluegrass influence yes, but that's different from 'country'. Desperado contained 2 of their hardest rockin' songs in Outlaw Man and Out of Control. Yes, The Eagles 'Rocked Out' just fine even before Felder and Walsh came along. And the songs on On The Border have just as much 'country' influence as Desperado. Midnight Flyer is an all-out Bluegrass stomper (as was Twenty-One on Desperado), and Pedal Steel guitar (an obvious 'country' influence) is featured on at least 3 other songs. In fact, this is a classic album that fully utilizes their unique 'country-rock' style to the fullest. That is one of the reasons it is so great. I also would disagree that it is inherently more upbeat than previous albums. More Uptempo, yes, and perhaps a bit brighter sound mix, but not really more upbeat, in that the themes and issues of the songs are still quite dark and ominous (but we like that, don't we?).

Anyway, a great album, and great partly because of it's superb mix of rock and country influences throughout.

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
You make very good points, BBKron, and I find myself agreeing with most of them. While I do think the album has two weaker songs - "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track - I enjoy the others very much. It is definitely a strong album that often gets overlooked. While "Best of My Love" was their first number 1 hit, One of These Nights is when the band started really churning the hits out. I guess that's why OTB sometimes doesn't get its props, but it's in my top 3 Eagles albums.

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
The week is drawing to a close, but I've gotta post a couple more videos of my faves from the album:

Best of My Love (I love this performance; Don's voice is so sexy; the harmonies are great; looks-wise, Don and Glenn are too hot for words to describe - the addition of Souther is a bonus, too!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoNKK32FiU

And although everyone may not be able to access this (it's on MySpace), here's a lovely version of Ol' 55 from the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974 - I love Glenn on the piano; I love the back-and-forth vocals with Don; I love everything about this song and performance except for Glenn's hair getting in his way and hiding his face, lol.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=eagles%20ol%27%2055%20jackson&source=video&cd=5&ved=0CFQQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fvideo%2Fleo%2Fo l-55%2F16661459&ctbm=vid&ei=bFdzT-_2C8PW2AXcydTQDg&usg=AFQjCNEh9RZ3YG8STy28ehY36J9jNVSikA&cad=rja

Shadowland07
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
After watching that Ol 55 video I remembered why I fell in love with the song. I hope they add it to their setlist next year.

GlennLover
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
You make very good points, BBKron, and I find myself agreeing with most of them. While I do think the album has two weaker songs - "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track - I enjoy the others very much. It is definitely a strong album that often gets overlooked. While "Best of My Love" was their first number 1 hit, One of These Nights is when the band started really churning the hits out. I guess that's why OTB sometimes doesn't get its props, but it's in my top 3 Eagles albums.

I agree with most of these statements, but I can't agree that YNCLAL & OTB are weaker that the others on the album. I must admit that I didn't care for them at first, but as I listened to them more & more I have come to really appreciate them. They are now among my favorites. I think they are very good songs. Nancy, I know how you feel about the lyrics of YNCLAL :).

And although everyone may not be able to access this (it's on MySpace), here's a lovely version of Ol' 55 from the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974 - I love Glenn on the piano; I love the back-and-forth vocals with Don; I love everything about this song and performance except for Glenn's hair getting in his way and hiding his face, lol.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=eagles%20ol%27%2055%20jackson&source=video&cd=5&ved=0CFQQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fvideo%2Fleo%2Fo l-55%2F16661459&ctbm=vid&ei=bFdzT-_2C8PW2AXcydTQDg&usg=AFQjCNEh9RZ3YG8STy28ehY36J9jNVSikA&cad=rja

This is one of my all time favorite videos, much for the reasons that you cited, Soda. Love the few extra notes that Glenn adds. I must convert this to mp3 so I can add it to my iPod. I like it even better than the album version (Millenium concert included)!

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Playing the CD today, I got choked up listening to "My Man" because of Willie's friend Brandon. Songs like that will never lose their power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75IZ4ZL9joI

VAisForEagleLovers
03-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Thank you for posting that one, Soda!

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I agree with most of these statements, but I can't agree that YNCLAL & OTB are weaker that the others on the album. I must admit that I didn't care for them at first, but as I listened to them more & more I have come to really appreciate them.

There is one part of the title track I really like - where the guys are singing "on the border... I'm out on the border" over and over while Don sings over them "Leave me be - I'm just walking the line" etc. That is a cool groove.

This is one of my all time favorite videos, much for the reasons that you cited, Soda. Love the few extra notes that Glenn adds. I must convert this to mp3 so I can add it to my iPod. I like it even better than the album version (Millenium concert included)!

I did the same thing (converted it to MP3). Love it!

And I should've posted these videos earlier, instead of all at once... but here's Midnight Flyer live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkCKiX9l9o

03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Again, I'm loving listening to all of these videos. Thanks for posting them Soda.

I would have to say though that I don't think On the Border or You Never Cry Like a Lover are weak songs either. I pretty much agree with BBKron in that I don't think any of the songs on this album are weak - I enjoy every track from start to finish.

TimothyBFan
03-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Playing the CD today, I got choked up listening to "My Man" because of Willie's friend Brandon. Songs like that will never lose their power.

Well I told myself I wouldn't cry today but that didn't work out so well. I never thought about that but you're right-the lyrics to that song say it all. I just posted it on my FB because it really does fit. Thanks Soda.

Glennsallnighter
03-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Awwww Lovely tribute to Brandon Soda!

06-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow - I've just been reminded that we never did our poll of listing the songs on this album from our favorites to least favorites as we did for all of the other Eagles albums. Sorry I missed this on the anniversary week back in March, but we can make up for it now - better late than never as they say! As with all the other albums, I wrote a song-by-song review earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and repost my list to start things off here. I'll compile the results as I usually do if folks want to join in and post their lists. So here goes mine ...

1. Already Gone
2. Best Of My Love
3. Good Day In Hell
4. James Dean
5. My Man
6. On The Border
7. Ol' '55
8. Midnight Flyer
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover
10. Is It True

Freypower
06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
1. Good Day In Hell
2. Already Gone
3. James Dean
4. Ol '55
5. On The Border
6. My Man
7. Best Of My Love
8. Is It True
10. Midnight Flyer

WalshFan88
06-25-2012, 11:01 PM
1. Already Gone
2. James Dean
3. Good Day In Hell
4. The Best Of My Love
5. Midnight Flyer
6. On The Border
7. Ol '55
8. Is It True
10. My Man

Brooke
06-26-2012, 08:33 AM
1. Already Gone
2. Good Day In Hell
3. Best of My Love
4. James Dean
5. My Man
6. On The Border
7. Ol' '55
8. Midnight Flyer
10. Is It True

I sure wish, as many do, they would bring back AG in concert.

BBKron
06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Just listened to this again before making my list, and what a great album this is. All the songs are great, not a single weak one. Thus, for this list there is not a very big difference between those near the top and those near the bottom - all are excellent - just prefer those towards the top a little more. But even the 'bottom three' here (which I know are songs others here have criticized) are songs I like alot. So, I added a few brief comments on what I like about each song.

1. Already Gone (perhaps their best pure rocker)
2. Good Day In Hell (cool beat, feel, great slide work)
3. James Dean (another great rocker)
4. Midnight Flyer (their best bluegrass stomper)
5. Ol' '55 (tremendous cover version of Tom Waits classic)
6. My Man (probably Bernie's best vocal performance)
7. Best Of My Love (their first #1 hit, deservedly)
8. On The Border (cool & funky, great extended ending)
9. You Never Cry Like A Lover (especially love the middle bridge section and the "I was hopin' you were the one" vocals)
10. Is It True? (solid Randy vocal)

Just a great album, top to bottom!

Windeagle
06-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Solidly in my favorite Eagles era. The last song is the only one that's "meh" for me. The rest are great.

1. Already Gone
2. Ol' '55
3. Best of My Love
4. Good Day In Hell
5. My Man (probably the most underrated harmonies ever!)
6. On The Border
7. Midnight Flyer
8. Is It True
9. James Dean
10. You Never Cry Like A Lover

SallyGee
06-26-2012, 09:01 PM
1. Already Gone
2. Midnight Flyer
3. The Best of My Love
4. My Man
5. Ol' 55
6. On the Border
7. Good Day in Hell
8. James Dean
9. Is It True?
10. You Never Cry Like a Lover

EaglesKiwi
06-30-2012, 05:05 AM
I would struggle to rank these, however I wanted to comment that I, too, enjoy every song on this album. None of them are in my "absolute favourites" list, but I still love listening to the whole album right through.

sodascouts
07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I know I'm late to this party but I wanted to throw in my list as well. The only song I really dislike on this album is number 10, but you have to rank it somehow, even though these are changeable.

1. Best of My Love
2. Already Gone
3. Ol' 55
4. My Man
3. Good Day In Hell
4. James Dean
8. Midnight Flyer
8. On The Border
9. Is It True
10. You Never Cry Like a Lover

07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Well - I'm playing a little 'catch up' here in posting the results of our On the Border album poll. Most people around here won't be surprised to discover that the song with the most points in our poll is Already Gone. However, it may surprise some that Good Day in Hell trails in second place, closely followed by The Best of My Love. So congratulations to the awesome Already Gone and here are the rest of the results ...

1. Already Gone - 78 points
2. Good Day in Hell - 61 points
3. The Best of My Love - 58 points
4. James Dean - 49 points
5. Ol' 55 - 48 points
6. My Man - 43 points
7. On the Border - 37 points (tie for 7/8 place)
8. Midnight Flyer - 37 points (tie for 7/8 place)
9. Is It True? - 16 points
10. You Never Cry Like a Lover - 13 points

As always, thanks to those who participated and if anyone else wants to post their list, please feel free, and I will update the results.

WalshFan88
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Not a big surprise AG won but I'm glad it did. It's my 2nd favorite Eagles song and I really wish they'd play it again. It's a classic and one I never forget to put in the set of any covers show I do.

Brooke
07-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Alright, I got the first 4 right! Congrats to Already Gone! Love. It.

sodascouts
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Me too! Like Austin, I really wish they would play it again.

GlennLover
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Not a big surprise AG won but I'm glad it did. It's my 2nd favorite Eagles song and I really wish they'd play it again. It's a classic and one I never forget to put in the set of any covers show I do.

Austin, what's your #1 favorite Eagles' song? ;););)

WalshFan88
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Austin, what's your #1 favorite Eagles' song? ;););)

I'm not sure....... I'd have to think about it for a bit first. :D I'm having difficulty remembering the name. :hilarious:

GlennLover
07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure....... I'd have to think about it for a bit first. :D I'm having difficulty remembering the name. :hilarious:

:rofl:

sodascouts
03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
HAPPY 39th BIRTHDAY TO ON THE BORDER!

A terrific album and the one that first saw Bill Szymczyk as engineer as well as new member Don Felder, even if he was a "late arrival." Plus, it gave the Eagles their first number 1: "The Best of My Love."

Love it!

Outlawman13
03-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Wow!!!!! Happy 39th birthday to a very very special album. Already Gone is one of my favvies on it. I can't wait 'til I get this c.d. though. Some songs I haven't even heard of. LOL I'm so behind. Loving the new look on this board Nancy!!!!!!!!! Too cool. I will look out for the next album's anniversary!!!! LOL.

sodascouts
03-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Glad you like it, OM13! It's the On the Border style!

BTW, if anyone is wondering why this place suddenly looks very different, I've created a board style theme for each album and whenever the anniversary of an album comes up, we make that album's board style theme the board default for a week.

Glennsallnighter
03-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Wow! I cannot believe OTB is 39! Another album which I love.

Happy Birthday OTB!!

NYC Fan
03-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Glad you like it, OM13! It's the On the Border style!

BTW, if anyone is wondering why this place suddenly looks very different, I've created a board style theme for each album and whenever the anniversary of an album comes up, we make that album's board style theme the board default for a week.

It looks great! On the Border has always been one of my favorite albums and album covers. Can't believe it's 39 years old! I think this album is one of their best mixes of everything they are as a band, from the rock of Already Gone to the bluegrass of Midnight Flyer to the ballads to the bluesy slide guitar of Good Day in Hell. Just an awesome album that I wore out the grooves out on when I bought.

What a fun thing to do to celebrate each album. Very creative!

WalshFan88
03-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Happy Birthday to On The Border!

Love this album. It's probably my 2nd favorite Eagles album (it's either this one or The Long Run). It has a lot of songs I love. Already Gone, The Best Of My Love, James Dean, Good Day In Hell, On The Border, etc. Great songs.

Already Gone is such a rocker. Love, love, love that song. Hopefully it'll be back in the set for the "History" tour. And hopefully they will go back to playing the guitar solos like they did up until F1 and not the F1 version. But I'd take that over no AG. But still, the solos in that song are killer and are my favs, after HC. I get such a thrill playing Glenn's solo live.

Brooke
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Love it, love it, love it! As I do all Eagles albums! Already Gone my favorite song, but love all of them!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER!

GlennLover
03-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Listening to "Best of My Love" right now!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO "On the Border"!!!

bluefox4000
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Love this album. I love The Title track because of the interaction between the members. They do a great Cover of Ol 55. My fav is probably Is It true. It really is a great album on the whole. It was indeed....A Good Day In Hell!

Mick

Houston Debutante
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
My favorite song The Best Of My Love is on this album. It's a great album and this is a great board style too.

03-22-2013, 07:28 PM
HAPPY 39TH ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

I also love this album - yeah, I know ... quite a stretch for me. As others have said, it really showcases the band's ability to do such a diversity of music. As they say, variety is the spice of life and they really spread it around on this one. I'll definitely be playing this a lot during our celebration week.

zeldabjr
03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Happy Anniversary to you "On The Border"!!!..I'll be playing this all week now!!!...lots of great songs!!!...hearing this CD brings back lots of great memories!!!

sodascouts
03-22-2013, 07:47 PM
What a fun thing to do to celebrate each album. Very creative!

Thanks!

zeldabjr
03-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm not seeing the OTB background...I'm seeing the regular everyday default background...???

sodascouts
03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
User's personal settings override board default, so if you have made EOC Default your preferred style in your settings, it won't change over. You can change this in your user profile.

Thirsty&Hot
03-22-2013, 09:48 PM
ohh fantastic! Thanks for linking me Glennsallnighter :)

Coincidentally, I just happen to be playing On the Border (currently Already Gone) for my boyfriend right now. Trying to woo him into liking them more.

:grooving:

Thirsty&Hot
03-22-2013, 09:55 PM
You might appreciate this here:
I named one of my photographs of an animal skull in the Grand Canyon "On the Border" (https://www.etsy.com/listing/96088482/on-the-border-southwestern-spooky-animal?ref=shop_home_active)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/ontheborder_zps98255a31.jpg

Outlawman13
03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
LOL I hope he loves the Eagles more and more. LOL who can't love the Eagles? I mean come on now. LOL. That photograph is too awesome. LOL the animal skull.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
I like the photo, but I'm afraid to think about what the animal looked like.

zeldabjr
03-22-2013, 11:43 PM
this came on my Facebook feed tonight...think I could listen to this all night!

Thirsty&Hot
03-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I like the photo, but I'm afraid to think about what the animal looked like.

well I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that it's a cow skull like on the One of These Nights album cover, just without the horns.

this came on my Facebook feed tonight...think I could listen to this all night!

oooo Thanks for sharing this!

bluefox4000
03-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Might I say I forgot to mention My Man....which is just beautiful. Was never big on Bernie's stuff, but man he pulled one out.

Mick

03-23-2013, 12:01 PM
My Man is my favorite Bernie song as well, although I like most of his others too.

Outlawman13
03-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm listening to it right now and it's pretty awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait 'til I get this c.d. Listening to it on the internet sure isn't enough for me. LOL.

Windeagle
03-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Just listened to OTB this afternoon. It struck me this time around how this record, perhaps more than any other, really felt like a team effort. Everyone was "on" and everyone had their place to shine.

As for My Man, in my opinion, it has some of the prettiest harmonies in the entire catalog. It's a gorgeous song.

03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Just another thought about the album during its celebration week. I've said this before, but I think this could possibly be the band's most underrated album. I'd like to hear others thoughts about this. So what say you?

bluefox4000
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
James dean Has some vicious guitar work.

Mick

sodascouts
03-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I agree it's underrated. It didn't even get much love in the Eagles documentary!

Freypower
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Just another thought about the album during its celebration week. I've said this before, but I think this could possibly be the band's most underrated album. I'd like to hear others thoughts about this. So what say you?

I have always thought this. We are now at a point where not one track from it is played live. The underrated songs for me are Good Day In Hell, James Dean, My Man & Is It True to some extent.

bluefox4000
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Will it never gets talked about anywhere, save for here...ever. so yes very underrated.

Mick

Outlawman13
03-24-2013, 11:48 PM
That c.d. is very underrated and I haven't heard of this c.d. until my dad mentioned "have you ever heard of On The Border by the Eagles?" I mean it has some hits on there, but those other songs are super incredible. Why don't they play them anymore? LOL a question some one should ask them. I love those songs on there. I mean all of the songs should be worth mentioning.

Freypower
03-25-2013, 12:34 AM
That c.d. is very underrated and I haven't heard of this c.d. until my dad mentioned "have you ever heard of On The Border by the Eagles?" I mean it has some hits on there, but those other songs are super incredible. Why don't they play them anymore? LOL a question some one should ask them. I love those songs on there. I mean all of the songs should be worth mentioning.

They used to play Already Gone & they played Best Of My Love the last time I saw them. They played James Dean briefly around 2003 & they played Ol '55 at their Millennium shows. They won't play songs sung by former members & I suspect they think the other tracks are not well known enough.

sodascouts
03-25-2013, 02:14 AM
They dropped all those songs for the miniature setlist they've been doing for the past two years, but I'm hoping that will change with the upcoming tour!

Houston Debutante
03-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Definitely underrated, I guess because they didn't really start being super successful until One Of These Nights even though Best Of My Love was a hit.

sodascouts
03-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Today, March 22, On the Border turns 40!!! Can you believe it?!

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY, ON THE BORDER!

thelastresort
03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER

Cracking album and probably their most underrated. Gotta love the likes of Ol' 55, Midnight Flyer and Best of My Love :blueblob:

Houston Baby
03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
HAPPY 40TH ON THE BORDER!!

I can remember being so excited to go buy this LP and hear their new songs.
My only complaint was that beautiful white cover that seemed to attract dirt and grim. I always ripped off the plastic wrap when I got a new LP so this cover never had a chance to stay pristine! :brickwall:

WalshFan88
03-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Zanny Kingston
03-22-2014, 06:49 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER!!
:birthday:
A great album that has stood the test of time!

thelastresort
03-22-2014, 07:54 PM
In honour of its birthday I'll share my thoughts on it:

Already Gone - If you were to listen to every Eagles album back to back chronologically, the starkest immediate contrast would be between Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and this. In a way it's probably the most complete Eagles song to me - rocky with country influences, some bang on harmonies, wonderful guitar work (especially the little duel solo in the middle) and some simply brilliant lyrics. Easily a mainstay in my Top 10 Eagles songs

You Never Cry Like a Lover - Probably my least favourite from the album, but in all fairness I haven't listened to it as much as the others. The intro is nice enough but I wouldn't hesitate skipping it

Midnight Flyer - I love this song. The banjo is brilliant, Randy's voice is as good as ever, and Glenn's outro is probably his best guitar work alongside ICTWY: on a similar note Randy's bass is very nice also. It gets knocked a bit for being too bluegrass, but I think it's a rather unique member of the guy's discography

My Man - Quite an emotional song for me. I've seen a bit of debte about whether it's about Gram Parsons or another bloke Bernie knew, but either way it's a beautiful tribute. The harmonies are so wonderful, especially 'he's gone far beyond...' parts of the chorus

On the Border - I get the impression you either adore this song or detest it. I'm the former. It's one of Henley's finest drumming performances for me, and I love the 'Never mind your name' part to it. Not as strong as some of the other songs, but a decent inclusion nonetheless

James Dean - Not one of my favourite Eagles songs, but I love the raw energy and the sheer (and I have to be honest) downright sexiness of the guitars on it. Lyrics are a bit meh but I do like the 'Too fast to live, too young to die' section. Sadly so, so true

Ol' 55 - The greatest song the Eagles ever did. The haunting loneliness of Glenn's piano and the wonderful accompaniment from Bernie's steel pedal are the perfect backdrop to Glenn's vocals, as well as his, Randy and Henley's chorus harmony. I am actually struggling to put into words my love for this song, it's one in a thousand for me

Is It True - My least favourite alongside YNCLIAL currently. That may change if I ever listen to it more however

Good Day in Hell - Love the guitar work and maintained harmony throughout. Also the reason a certain Mr. Felder got involved with the band, which is probably the best thing they ever did as a group

Best of My Love - I can take it or leave it. Once more I love Bernie's steel pedal, and the harmonies are so fine, but there's just something about it that doesn't click with me

sodascouts
03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your thoughts! I was listening to the album in the car today. BOML and "Already Gone" are my fave tracks, but I adore "Ol' 55" and "My Man" as well.

SO GLAD THEY ARE DOING BOTH "BEST OF MY LOVE" AND "ALREADY GONE" FOR THIS TOUR!

shunlvswx
03-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Happy 40th Anniversary to the OTB album. My favorite songs from this album are BOML and AG.

I'm starting to like Ol 55. I would always skipped this song when I listen to my The Very Best of the Eagles CD.

03-23-2014, 12:04 PM
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

Sorry I missed posting this yesterday. For sure, this will be the featured album in my CD player this week. If I went back and read this thread, I'm sure I'll be repeating myself by saying I agree that this is a very underrated album. I love it - my favorites are also Already Gone and The Best of My Love, but I give high marks to all of the songs. And thanks for your album review, tlr. I love hearing others thoughts about Eagles songs.

UndertheWire
03-23-2014, 06:12 PM
I've been closing my eyes and trying to visualise what it was like to hear this 40 years ago but it's not working too well. I think I was a little disappointed - after Desperado it seemed strange to go back to an assortment of songs without a common theme. My favourites would have been Best of My Love and You Never Cry Like a Lover but I also liked On The Border (I never could master the clapping) and My Man.

In defence of You Never Cry like a lover...
- if it had been a woman singing about her man's inability to show his softer side, would it be viewed as harshly?
- I really like the guitar. I don't see a credit in the liner notes but I'm assuming it's Bernie with Glenn on keyboards.
- I love the "carousel" part. It's one of the times that the music mirrors the words.
- Don's voice. I love his voice on the early albums but less so from HC on. It's partiicularly thrilling on this album.

Freypower
03-23-2014, 06:19 PM
In honour of its birthday I'll share my thoughts on it:

Already Gone - If you were to listen to every Eagles album back to back chronologically, the starkest immediate contrast would be between Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and this. In a way it's probably the most complete Eagles song to me - rocky with country influences, some bang on harmonies, wonderful guitar work (especially the little duel solo in the middle) and some simply brilliant lyrics. Easily a mainstay in my Top 10 Eagles songs

You Never Cry Like a Lover - Probably my least favourite from the album, but in all fairness I haven't listened to it as much as the others. The intro is nice enough but I wouldn't hesitate skipping it

Midnight Flyer - I love this song. The banjo is brilliant, Randy's voice is as good as ever, and Glenn's outro is probably his best guitar work alongside ICTWY: on a similar note Randy's bass is very nice also. It gets knocked a bit for being too bluegrass, but I think it's a rather unique member of the guy's discography

My Man - Quite an emotional song for me. I've seen a bit of debte about whether it's about Gram Parsons or another bloke Bernie knew, but either way it's a beautiful tribute. The harmonies are so wonderful, especially 'he's gone far beyond...' parts of the chorus

On the Border - I get the impression you either adore this song or detest it. I'm the former. It's one of Henley's finest drumming performances for me, and I love the 'Never mind your name' part to it. Not as strong as some of the other songs, but a decent inclusion nonetheless

James Dean - Not one of my favourite Eagles songs, but I love the raw energy and the sheer (and I have to be honest) downright sexiness of the guitars on it. Lyrics are a bit meh but I do like the 'Too fast to live, too young to die' section. Sadly so, so true

Ol' 55 - The greatest song the Eagles ever did. The haunting loneliness of Glenn's piano and the wonderful accompaniment from Bernie's steel pedal are the perfect backdrop to Glenn's vocals, as well as his, Randy and Henley's chorus harmony. I am actually struggling to put into words my love for this song, it's one in a thousand for me

Is It True - My least favourite alongside YNCLIAL currently. That may change if I ever listen to it more however

Good Day in Hell - Love the guitar work and maintained harmony throughout. Also the reason a certain Mr. Felder got involved with the band, which is probably the best thing they ever did as a group

Best of My Love - I can take it or leave it. Once more I love Bernie's steel pedal, and the harmonies are so fine, but there's just something about it that doesn't click with me

The best song they ever did? They didn't even write it. It's nice, but I can't agree that it is as outstanding as you think it is.

My favourite tracks on this album are GDIH, AG & JD. Most of the rest of it these days I honestly don't care that much about. :sad:

WalshFan88
03-23-2014, 06:30 PM
I played it on my computer today and then part of it on vinyl (the '71-'75 Hits had a few on there).

My top 5 are:

Already Gone
The Best Of My Love
Good Day In Hell
James Dean
Midnight Flyer

I love Already Gone and it is a personal favorite for me to play live and am so glad it's back in the set... A great rocker and a feel good song - can't beat it.

The Best Of My Love is one of my faves, always have loved the pedal steel and the acousticy sound of this one.

Good Day In Hell is another favorite. I love the slide guitar and the lyric content.

James Dean is kind of underrated IMO. I love the lyrics and guitars, and it appeals to my more rebellious side. ;) :hilarious:

Midnight Flyer knowing me shouldn't be a favorite as I'm not a big bluegrass guy but I love the lyrics and the singing so it is.

The honorable mention for me is Ol '55 - I do like it as well.

thelastresort
03-23-2014, 06:45 PM
The best song they ever did? They didn't even write it. It's nice, but I can't agree that it is as outstanding as you think it is.

For me, as with all songs in general, I don't care who wrote it. I have outlined why I like it so much in the description I gave and I'm sure you'll agree music is all subjective anyway.

sodascouts
03-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Found this 40-year-old promo poster on eBay and thought it was appropriate for this thread!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/borderpromo.jpg

Brooke
03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Happy 40th Anniversary to On the Border!

Wow, I can't believe it's that old! I really don't remember getting the vinyl, or what it meant to me back then, but I'm sure I was thrilled to have new music from the Eagles!

My faves are Already Gone, Good Day in Hell, and Best of My Love.

UtW, thanks for your review! I always enjoy reading what others think of the songs too. And, different strokes for different folks as far as 'Ol 55. It's an ok song, but never been on any of my favorites lists either.

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 08:40 PM
In defence of You Never Cry like a lover...
- if it had been a woman singing about her man's inability to show his softer side, would it be viewed as harshly?

I actually appreciate the parts where the guy is complaining about her being emotionally closed off. That's a legitimate issue, and a gender-neutral one. If the song consisted entirely of that, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The parts I have a problem with are the parts where he complains about her lack of sexual responsiveness, a theme that was deemed important enough to be the title line.

It's impossible to reverse genders here and make it work, since men always get physical gratification out of the sex act. I can't imagine a woman saying to a man "You never cry like a lover should; sigh when it feels real good." Even if the man isn't loud about it, his response is evident and assured. It's the woman who has to show the man that she's gotten gratification through vocalization, which is why so many women have to fake it with hoots and hollers in order to protect their man's ego. Apparently the woman in the song didn't bother to do that, lol.

This song is the anthem for the insecure man who was unable to bring his partner there physically: "It's YOUR fault! I don't need to try a little harder [in the sack]... YOU do!"

That said, the song has its moments. I'm not enamored of the intros to the verses and the way they began - there's almost no energy, and the ending has the same problem - but as I said in an earlier post, I love the carousel simile; the parts that show emotional vulnerability like "I thought I saw somebody I loved sleeping deep inside you" are well done; I think the "I was hoping you were the one" part is very effective.

Freypower
03-24-2014, 09:22 PM
When you said they don't play songs sung by former members, were you referring to songs from On the Border only, because they play TITTL, which as we all know, Randy sang.

TITTL is now sung by Glenn. However this is the OTB thread & I was indeed referring to the songs sung on OTB by former members.

Freypower
03-25-2014, 12:48 AM
No way - I have never felt YNCLAL was sexist at all. Meaning if a woman were singing this song to a man it would have the same impact. This song is about a failed relationship.

Bytheway - TITTL is indeed Randy Meisners song. Sayin' it isn't because a contributor sings it will never change this one true fact. At what point do/will I have to defend this statement?

At no time did anyone say that TITTL was not Randy Meisner's song. I was clarfiying when asked about my statement 'they won't do songs by former members' that I was referring to the songs by former members on the On The Border album. I also said 'Glenn sings TITTL now' which is no more than a statement of fact. On reflection it was perhaps unnecessary to add that sentence.

secret squirrel
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Don't know if this is here or not. Couldn't see it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-on-the-border/

Good bits from interviews. How well they used to get on. Haven't read it all yet.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/opinion8-must-see-tv.html

sodascouts
03-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Reviving this thread as On the Border turns 41!

DJ
03-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Absolutely one of my most favorite albums and the cover. Cannot believe it's been 41 years. :partytime:

SilverAcidRayne
03-22-2015, 02:49 PM
On The Border? yeah i'm so new to this... lol

03-22-2015, 06:31 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

Love this board style and love this album! This album is very underrated IMHO. It was the beginning of the band's transition to a 'rockier' sound and jammed packed with some REEAAAALLLY good music. :headbang:

thelastresort
03-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Happy anniversary On the Border

My favourite Eagles album :D

Elizasong
03-22-2015, 09:21 PM
My two favorite songs from this album "Already Gone and "Best of My Love". :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
03-23-2015, 10:08 AM
I think this is a great album. With the exceptions of "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track, I love every song on it.

Woah! Soda, you don't like "On the Border"?! May I ask why? I think it totally rocks.

Brooke
03-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Love it!

My favorites haven't changed, Already Gone, Best of My Love, and Good Day in Hell, but enjoy every song!

41 years? :shock:

Jonny Come Lately
03-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Happy 41st Anniversary to On The Border!

This album is my third favourite Eagles album overall and is my favourite out of the non-thematic albums*. I love it - I think it's an excellent album with many very strong songs and no fillers. I think it's arguably the most definitively 'Eagles' album out of the lot, featuring a blend of rock and country with terrific harmony vocals and guitar parts (am I alone in loving the lead guitar on You Never Cry Like A Lover? I love the way that it builds during the middle of that song, I've always seen as it as their most rocking ballad if that makes any sense).

I think this album has become somewhat forgotten outside the core Eagles fanbase save for The Best Of My Love. Usually when this happens to one of the albums by any band (I'm sure most of us can think of one) it's generally because it isn't very good, but this isn't the case with On The Border so this is rather regrettable in my view.

I like all of the songs on this album a lot although my number one favourite is Already Gone. AG is a song which is firmly in my Eagles top ten. They may not have written it in the first place, but their character is stamped all over it. I find it difficult to believe that Jack Tempchin did not at least have Glenn in mind when he wrote the song.

My top five songs from On The Border would be roughly in this order:

1) Already Gone
2) My Man
3) Good Day In Hell
4) The Best Of My Love
5) James Dean

Good Day In Hell is one of their very best rockers - I was delighted to see it do well in the recent Underrated Songs Survivor and am baffled at its exclusion from the various compilation albums. My Man is such a beautiful and moving song, and is a fine tribute to Gram Parsons. It edges out Bitter Creek as Bernie's best Eagles song in my view and is greatly enhanced by Bernie's pedal steel - the solo before the final chorus is gorgeous. The chorus harmony is also delightful especially accompanied by the lyrics. I've always loved the 'We who must remain go on living just the same' lines in particular.

I find it difficult to rank the songs beyond this as I do enjoy all of them and am drawn to different songs when I am in different moods. I think this is partly due to the variety of the songs on this album - for instance, if I want something bluegrass-y then I really dig Midnight Flyer. If I'm in the mood for rock 'n' roll then James Dean would probably move above BOML.

In some ways I think the title track was an important song for the band as it was the first song they did with rhythm & blues influences (apart from the non-album B side Get You In The Mood) and also their first true social criticism song, with the attack on the invasion of privacy and government interference. It took me a few listens to get into it but I really love it now. The two things I love most about it are the bridge (it was a great idea to share out the vocals between the four singers) and the guitar tag that plays towards the end.

*I should clarify this by saying that my two favourite Eagles albums are Hotel California and Desperado - I consider the latter to a 'rock opera', that is a concept album with a storyline (other examples include Tommy by The Who and The Wall by Pink Floyd) whereas the former is thematic in that it's not really a true concept album like, say, The Dark Side Of The Moon but has several songs with a common theme (I think Wishbone Ash's Argus also falls into this category).

thelastresort
03-23-2015, 06:42 PM
(am I alone in loving the lead guitar on You Never Cry Like A Lover? I love the way that it builds during the middle of that song, I've always seen as it as their most rocking ballad if that makes any sense).

Nope, I love it too; YNCLAL could well sneak into my top three songs from that album (Ol'55 is top and Already Gone probably second). I think the problem people have with it is the lyrics: whilst the Eagles are exceptional lyricists most of their love songs usually fall into the highly charming (Best of My Love or ILTWAWD) or gleeful 'victory song' (Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone) categories: YNCLAL doesn't, it seems very harsh in some regards, almost like it lays the blame directly on the female in question for whatever reason Henley sings about. I suppose you could say it's almost awkward. That said however, I looooooove the way 'But your life goes on, like a broken down carousel' line is sung and subsequent solo, that could well be one of my favourite Eagles pieces of them all.

sodascouts
03-23-2015, 10:14 PM
Woah! Soda, you don't like "On the Border"?! May I ask why? I think it totally rocks.

It's grown on me - I don't hate it - I just don't LOVE it.

The reason I don't love it is largely the verses - I'm not really into the whole "talking" singing style and some of the lyrics don't do it for me. Like I said, though, I don't think it sucks or anything.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-23-2015, 10:46 PM
It's grown on me - I don't hate it - I just don't LOVE it.

The reason I don't love it is largely the verses - I'm not really into the whole "talking" singing style and some of the lyrics don't do it for me. Like I said, though, I don't think it sucks or anything.

Well, you gotta love the name, right? After all...we're all out On The Border here!

sodascouts
03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
The song certainly has served us well in that regard! ;)

Why did I choose it even though I was never a big fan of the song? I wanted a locale for my board name and at the time, we were a rather marginalized group. Circumstances have changed, but yeah, I still like the name!

DJ
03-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Love it!

My favorites haven't changed, Already Gone, Best of My Love, and Good Day in Hell, but enjoy every song!

41 years? :shock:

I'm in your corner on this one Brooke, those are my Favorites also.
" Tomorrow I'll Be Glory Bound"

UndertheWire
06-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Henry Diltz has posted the photo he took for the inner-gatefold.
https://www.facebook.com/henrydiltzphoto/photos/a.1429244143992230.1073741828.1429233337326644/1602284236688219/?type=1&theater

My copy of the album didn't have a gatefold or a poster insert. I feel cheated. :-(

NightMistBlue
06-23-2015, 09:21 AM
I imagine it's very rare (and expensive!) to find one of those albums with the double-sided poster still intact. Has anyone spotted any for sale on Ebay or elsewhere?

I took my OTB album out last night and found the "He who hesitates is lunch" inscription on side one. Cute!

sodascouts
06-23-2015, 11:29 AM
I saw a sealed one in a record shop in Austin, but I don't know if it had the poster inside. Supposedly the album was in pristine condition, though. I think it was $30.

AlreadyGone95
06-23-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm buying a vinyl copy of On the Border from an online friend that I buy from on a monthly basis. I'm not holding my breath because I only paid $5, but he's been known to leave out the "details" of an album(poster gatefold etc). It would be cool, though.

I'm tempted to look for a copy of HC with the poster, but after seeing the photo of the poster in the cd booklet, I decided against it.

AlreadyGone95
06-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Well, I got my copy i today, and unfortunately no poster.

DJ
06-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Sorry you didn't get the poster AG :sad:

06-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that link, UTW. I loved reading all of the comments under the photograph.

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Happy 42nd Birthday to On the Border.

buffyfan145
03-22-2016, 11:11 AM
One of my personal favorites of their albums. :D Love the cover image too.

AlreadyGone95
03-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Happy 42nd birthday to On the Border

This album has grown on me over the pastfew months. It used to be my least favorite Eagles album, but now, it isn't.

NightMistBlue
03-22-2016, 02:12 PM
What's not to like, AG? I dug it from the get-go, especially the title track - Nancy's favorite song :)

AlreadyGone95
03-22-2016, 02:26 PM
What's not to like, AG? I dug it from the get-go, especially the title track - Nancy's favorite song :)

Eh, I don't know. I love the rock songs like AG(obviously), James Dean, and the title track, but for a while, I didn't like the slower songs, like My Man, Best of my Love or Ol' 55 much. It took a good dozen listens for them to grow on me. I'm just glad that I have come to like them!

03-22-2016, 06:36 PM
HAPPY 42nd ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

I love this album. I love this board style. And I love the album's cover art. I don't think it's ever been posted in this thread before, so here it is ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/bordercover.jpg

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/borderback.jpg

NOLA
03-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Happy 42nd anniversary to On The Border!
As far as my favorites, the album is third behind HC and OOTN, and the title track, along with YNCLAL, are in the top ten. However, of all the albums, I think it has the best cover art and lettering.

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 08:43 PM
I was looking on Wikipedia and it said Gary did the album design for OTB. Plus this would also be the last time Henry would take pictures of the guys for their albums. They got someone else for One Of These Nights and then OOTN would be Gary's last time designing their album cover.

This album has grown on me. I didn't like it for a while. To tell the truth. Their early albums I didn't like. I love OTB and Desperado now.

Brooke
03-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Love this album! :heart:

03-26-2016, 12:55 PM
To continue with our On the Border celebration week, I thought I'd also go ahead and post the posters that were included with the album. I know they are really big, but not as big as the originals, which opened up to be double the size of the LP cover. In any event, most of us probably won't have a problem with the size ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/borderinsert1.jpg

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/borderinsert2.jpg

LuvTim
03-26-2016, 04:32 PM
AWESOME!! :heart: Just look at those handsome faces.

buffyfan145
03-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Love those pics!!! :D If I was around back in 70s I totally would have had that poster on my wall. LOL

sodascouts
03-28-2016, 10:07 PM
A fantastic album - thanks for posting the posters!

Jonny Come Lately
03-29-2016, 06:17 PM
A belated happy 42nd birthday to this great album! :birthday:

It is my third favourite Eagles album overall and I definitely think is underrated outside of this community. My favourite songs are Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell, all of which are my among my absolute favourite Eagles songs, although I like all of them a lot and gravitate towards different songs in different moods.

To me there is one man who more than anyone else who made this record great. I think Glenn was on fire at the time of this album - all of his lead vocals are terrific. Three of the four hardest rockers, the only exception being the title track, are his vocals. I know GDIH is a co-lead, but it is Glenn's voice that I hear most prominently. It was also the last album where he really contributed a lot of guitar. I really like his slide playing on Is It True? and especially Midnight Flyer, and I believe he played the R&B-inspired guitar on the outro to the title track, as well as the solo on Already Gone. He also played the piano on Ol' 55 and YNCLAL, as well as (I believe) coming up with the beautiful melody to The Best Of My Love. I think he really shone throughout the record. That's not to say he was the only member who shone - the song where he is least prominent is IMO My Man, which I absolute love and consider it to be Bernie's finest Eagles song, while Don and Randy both make great contributions. There is also the small matter of Don Felder's storming guitar work on GDIH and Already Gone.

In short, I just love the overall sound and feel of this album, as well as the songs. I also really like the artwork from this era, the cover looks great and the stylised lettering is also very cool.

Brooke
03-30-2016, 10:17 AM
JCL, thanks for your thoughts on this album! I enjoyed that!

I love the artwork and pictures too! Fantastic album!

shunlvswx
03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Happy 43rd Birthday to On The Border.

Like I said last year. This album has really grown on me especially when you hear a lot of the songs on Pandora and IHeart Radio.

Delilah
03-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Happy 43rd Anniversary to "On the Border"!!

I love this album--it covers all the bases in terms of depth and range of this band's talent. Rock, pop, bluegrass, country, R&B are all heard--and done very well--here. I love the slide guitar, pedal steel, and piano parts, and there's some excellent bass work as well. The vocal leads are stellar and the vocal harmonies rank as probably their best ever.

Of course, Don Felder's "late arrival" harkens a new era for the band...

A wonderful, superb album!:cheers:

East Texas Girl
03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Happy 43rd Anniversary to "On the Border"!!

I love this album--it covers all the bases in terms of depth and range of this band's talent. Rock, pop, bluegrass, country, R&B are all heard--and done very well--here. I love the slide guitar, pedal steel, and piano parts, and there's some excellent bass work as well. The vocal leads are stellar and the vocal harmonies rank as probably their best ever.

Of course, Don Felder's "late arrival" harkens a new era for the band...

A wonderful, superb album!:cheers:

I really like this album too, just might be my favorite as well! (hard to pick)
I agree with you that the harmonies are the greatest!!

thelastresort
03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Belated happy birthday On the Border!

It may not have the strong underlying concept of Desperado or the sheer prolificness of Hotel California, but it is a set of ten well-written, listenable songs. It is a superb album from first to last, relenting only slightly for me with Is It True?. I even love the cover!

There are a couple of personal highlights on this album that rank among the Eagles finest moments for me: the utterly beautiful harmonies and steel pedal that accompany Ol' 55, the effective simplicity of Best of My Love, and the glorious carousel line and subsequent solo in You Never Cry Like a Lover. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I still wear the album t-shirt I bought during their HOTE tour leg in England three years ago, even if it now fits me like a parachute!

WalshFan88
03-24-2017, 02:32 AM
Definitely their earliest album with the least amount of skips for me....they started to rock a bit more. Already Gone is my 2nd favorite Eagles song.

Jonny Come Lately
03-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Happy belated birthday to On The Border! :cheers:

Belated happy birthday On the Border!

It may not have the strong underlying concept of Desperado or the sheer prolificness of Hotel California, but it is a set of ten well-written, listenable songs. It is a superb album from first to last, relenting only slightly for me with Is It True?. I even love the cover!

There are a couple of personal highlights on this album that rank among the Eagles finest moments for me: the utterly beautiful harmonies and steel pedal that accompany Ol' 55, the effective simplicity of Best of My Love, and the glorious carousel line and subsequent solo in You Never Cry Like a Lover. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I still wear the album t-shirt I bought during their HOTE tour leg in England three years ago, even if it now fits me like a parachute!

I find myself agreeing with most of this. One thing I really love about this album is its consistency - I have three established favourites (as I've probably said before, these are Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell) but I really like all of them and gravitate to different songs when I'm in a different mood.

I do think OTB has a different flavour to the first two albums, and personally I definitely feel it's definitely the most geared towards rock out of the pre-HC albums (more so than One Of These Nights, IMO). To me this is not so much due to having more songs like AG, GDIH and James Dean, but if for example you compare Midnight Flyer to Twenty-One (both bluegrass type songs), there is a marked change in pace at the end of the song with Glenn's slide solo, which has no obvious equivalent in the earlier track. Although the change of producer is usually mentioned when people talk about OTB, everything I've read or heard seems to suggest that that the stylistic shift was ultimately down to the band wanting to move in a different direction and that the change was due to Glyn's resistance to this.

Annoying Twit
03-24-2017, 04:32 PM
On The Border survivor game?

Delilah
03-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Happy belated birthday to On The Border! :cheers:
I do think OTB has a different flavour to the first two albums, and personally I definitely feel it's definitely the most geared towards rock out of the pre-HC albums (more so than One Of These Nights, IMO). To me this is not so much due to having more songs like AG, GDIH and James Dean, but if for example you compare Midnight Flyer to Twenty-One (both bluegrass type songs), there is a marked change in pace at the end of the song with Glenn's slide solo, which has no obvious equivalent in the earlier track. Although the change of producer is usually mentioned when people talk about OTB, everything I've read or heard seems to suggest that that the stylistic shift was ultimately down to the band wanting to move in a different direction and that the change was due to Glyn's resistance to this.

I love the instrumental outro of MF. I can imagine them all jamming together and coming up with the different parts of it. It's quite different from anything they had done before and have since. The outro took the standard Osborne Brothers version to a whole other level.

Here's a UCR article about the album (it looks like the link was posted before on this thread but that link isn't working). An interesting quote from the article by Don Henley:

"The important thing to remember with this group is that the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts,” Henley told Hit Parader. “The Eagles and what we’ve created is bigger than all five of us put together. It’s hard when five guys want to do everything. You see, there’s no leader in the Eagles, because everybody is an egomaniac. X can be leader for one day before someone rises up and says ‘F— you.’ It’s so hard, but that’s what keeps things getting better.”

Read More: How the Eagles Steered From Country to Rock With 'On the Border' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-on-the-border/?trackback=tsmclip

sodascouts
03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm few days late, but I adore this album! The Eagles get their first number one and finally start getting more props after their massively underrated Desperado. Love it!

Eagles7
03-26-2017, 01:02 PM
I love the instrumental outro of MF. I can imagine them all jamming together and coming up with the different parts of it. It's quite different from anything they had done before and have since. The outro took the standard Osborne Brothers version to a whole other level.

Here's a UCR article about the album (it looks like the link was posted before on this thread but that link isn't working). An interesting quote from the article by Don Henley:

"The important thing to remember with this group is that the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts,” Henley told Hit Parader. “The Eagles and what we’ve created is bigger than all five of us put together. It’s hard when five guys want to do everything. You see, there’s no leader in the Eagles, because everybody is an egomaniac. X can be leader for one day before someone rises up and says ‘F— you.’ It’s so hard, but that’s what keeps things getting better.”

Read More: How the Eagles Steered From Country to Rock With 'On the Border' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-on-the-border/?trackback=tsmclip

Well, that all changed :sad:

UndertheWire
10-26-2017, 12:59 PM
"You Never Cry Like a Lover" came up on my playlist and listening to it out of the blue, I realised how much I like the lead guitar. It's a lovely, melodic and plaintive. It was one of the tracks recorded in London with Glyn Johns, so it's not Felder. My guess would be Bernie. Any thoughts?

Pippinwhite
10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
@UTW -- Love that one. I'd have liked to hear Glenn's take on the lead vocal, though. But a minor wish. I think the guitar is great. Plus, Glenn's piano work is really good, too.

I love this album. Not a clunker in the bunch. I think it probably has the most diversity of any of their albums. You get a little of the country rock, some straight ahead R&R, a little rocking bluegrass, great vocal performances from everyone -- it's the complete package, to me. Overall, it's much more listenable from start to finish than HC -- for me.

groupie2686
10-26-2017, 02:53 PM
"You Never Cry Like a Lover" came up on my playlist and listening to it out of the blue, I realised how much I like the lead guitar. It's a lovely, melodic and plaintive. It was one of the tracks recorded in London with Glyn Johns, so it's not Felder. My guess would be Bernie. Any thoughts?

It is Bernie...I like the guitar on this too and I've looked it up, wondering the same thing.

East Texas Girl
10-26-2017, 06:07 PM
I love this album. Not a clunker in the bunch. I think it probably has the most diversity of any of their albums. You get a little of the country rock, some straight ahead R&R, a little rocking bluegrass, great vocal performances from everyone -- it's the complete package, to me. Overall, it's much more listenable from start to finish than HC -- for me.

I totally agree with you on this album. It is pretty much my favorite album from the guys!

New Kid In Town
10-27-2017, 01:47 PM
I like OTB too. So many good songs on this album: AG, Ol' 55, BOML, James Dean, MF. The best move they ever made was deciding to go with Bill S.
So, Happy belated Birthday to On The Border. :cheers:

chaim
10-27-2017, 01:56 PM
I must admit I have a tiny problem with the fact that there's so much stuff written by others on the album. It's not a problem when I listen to people who didn't/don't write in the first place, like Sinatra, but the Eagles were writers. Hence Pin Ups is the only Bowie album I don't have.

It's not a case of missing quality. It's a "psychological" problem.

shunlvswx
03-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Happy 44th Birthday to On The Border. I have to admit. This wasn't my favorite album, but after a while I started to like it. I like all the songs on this album.

Pippinwhite
03-22-2018, 11:47 AM
This may be my favorite Eagles album. I personally think that, overall, it's better than "Hotel California." There's not a clunker in the bunch. And there are a couple on HC I don't think work that well. Not for me, anyway. But "James Dean," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "BOML", AG and the title track are all such great songs. There's an energy in them that seems a little diluted by the time you get to HC. I just love this record. Listening to it on Spotify now!

groupie2686
03-22-2018, 11:55 AM
This may be my favorite Eagles album. I personally think that, overall, it's better than "Hotel California." There's not a clunker in the bunch. And there are a couple on HC I don't think work that well. Not for me, anyway. But "James Dean," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "BOML", AG and the title track are all such great songs. There's an energy in them that seems a little diluted by the time you get to HC. I just love this record. Listening to it on Spotify now!

I love On the Border and it's definitely one of my favorite Eagles albums, but I don't know about THE favorite. I like the more melancholy tone of HC too, it fit where they were in their careers and lives at the time.

Claret
03-22-2018, 12:07 PM
I like On the Border. I think it's probably the only Eagles album from which I like every song although it didn't produce many standouts.
For me it's a tight contest between Good Day in Hell and Already Gone for number one spot.

03-22-2018, 12:07 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ON THE BORDER!!!

I love this album too, but I love all Eagles albums. It's definitely not my favorite though - I rank it about in the middle of the pack. But it rocks, for sure and I've said before that I consider it to be a very underrated album.

BTW - I think this is an interesting thread. If you haven't ever read through it, I would encourage you to do so if you have the time.

YoungEaglesFan
03-22-2018, 12:39 PM
I have this in my top 3. Probably at 2. Very strong throughout. Great balance of music on it and good balance of contributions. Love OTB, BOML, My Man, is it true, AG, and GDIH all great songs

Brooke
03-22-2018, 12:47 PM
I love this album, but then, I love all the Eagles albums! I haven't listened to one lately and this inspires me to get it out!

cosec3791
03-22-2018, 03:42 PM
I have very unpopular opinions about this album. Hope you respect it.

So, pretty good album, and solid songs! I personally feel this is why (at least for me and the very few Felder fans here), that he is extremely important. He provided a hard edge for them and their live performances of this tour shows. He really made them rock (and not in a tryhard way). I feel without Felder, it wouldn't be the album it is today.

So now I will give my opinions on the individual songs:

1) Already Gone- Great rocking track! Love the dual guitar solo between Frey and Felder. But I will admit, I only started liking the track after listening to the versions of 1979 Osaka and Chicago.

2) You Never Cry Like a Lover- Good track. Really underrated. Unlike some of the other slower songs, this has a good mix of guitars, piano and softness. Especially on the live versions like 1976 Nagoya, Sydney

3) Midnight Flyer- One of my favorite songs of this album! Love the banjo and slide guitar. My only problem is that Walsh did it better live.

4) My Man- Very meaningful, but too soft and sleep inducing to me.

5) On the Border- Decent track, may have liked it more if there was a live version available.

6) James Dean- One of the few tracks from this album I liked after listening for the first time. Love the guitars and Felder's Les Paul.

7) Ol'55- Too soft for me, sleep inducing. though the Frey and Henley co lead vocal is kind of interesting.

8) Is It True- Too soft for me yet again, reminded me of a Kpop song absurdly.

9) Good Day in Hell- Amazing song, love Felder's slide! And the lyrics are pretty cool (and sardonic too).

10) Best of My Love- Hated it the first time I listened to it. But it grew on me after some more listens. I personally feel 1979 Osaka enabled me to like it. Also, speaking of live versions, apparently many comments sections seem to lambast Felder for his Pedal steel. Don't know what he is doin' wrong.

Now about the tour. As we know, they were still mostly opening rather than main, but they had way more credibility. I have to say, the bootlegs available are pretty good. The setlists were great! There was a good round up of songs from the album as well as older hits and covers. My favorite bootlegs from this are 1974 Don Kirshner and 1974 Lenox.