PDA

View Full Version : California Jam 1974

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I was looking at "This Day in Eagles History" and noticed that today was the day they played the "California Jam" concert in 1974, to a crowd of approximately 200,000 people. Can you imagine???

I looked at who else played that day on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam), and here's the list:

Rare Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_%28band%29)
Earth, Wind and Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth,_Wind_and_Fire)
Eagles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles)
Seals & Crofts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seals_%26_Crofts)
Black Oak Arkansas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Oak_Arkansas)
Black Sabbath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath)
Deep Purple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_and_Palmer)

Isn't it amazing that out of all those bands, only the Eagles would probably be recognizable to a younger generation of listeners today?

And they weren't even the headliners!

And for fun, here are some videos from that day. Don't they look adorable? They were really rockin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nccW-aCd7z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4de2AQ4fA

And you can download one more from GFO:
Take It Easy (California Jam 1974)
Download .mpg (59 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/tiecaliforniajam.mpg)
Download .wmv (12 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/tiecaliforniajam.wmv)

TimothyBFan
04-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Those were great to see again. Ah --how young they were! Loved Randy's hair! Thanks for posting those!!

Freypower
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I think Deep Purple remain extremely well known even to younger listeners for Smoke On The Water if nothing else. Black Sabbath are still heavy metal icons. ELP are probably still big with 'prog rock' fans. My husband always jokes with me that the Eagles supported Deep Purple but the point is the Eagles were still on the way up and Purple were at the peak of their career (although David Coverdale had replaced Ian Gillan).

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.

I know in my own case, I've never even heard of ELP before now. I couldn't name you one other Deep Purple song, nor could I name even one Black Sabbath song. Admittedly, I wasn't allowed to listen to Black Sabbath when they were big, but I never had any desire to even when I got older. I'm sure they have a metalhead following that scrambles to see OzzFest every year, but the mainstream... not so much.

Freypower
04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Everyone is different. Perhaps I am showing my age here; I am 48.

Black Sabbath's most famous song is Paranoid.

Some of Purple's other famous songs are Child In Time, Highway Star, Woman From Tokyo, Stormbringer, Burn, Space Truckin', Strange Kind Of Woman, Black Night.

As for ELP they were/are probably better known in Britain.

Maleah
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.

I know in my own case, I've never even heard of ELP before now. I couldn't name you one other Deep Purple song, nor could I name even one Black Sabbath song. Admittedly, I wasn't allowed to listen to Black Sabbath when they were big, but I never had any desire to even when I got older. I'm sure they have a metalhead following that scrambles to see OzzFest every year, but the mainstream... not so much.

Ditto for me. That's the only song I know of Deep Purple. I've never been a hard rock/metal fan so Black Sabbath never interested me and still doesn't. The only reason I knew who they even are is like you said, Ozzy. And the only song I even remember of him is Crazy Train. lol Never even heard of any of the rest of them except for Earth, Wind, and Fire. They do Shining Star right? maybe? maybe not lol

Freypower
04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Earth, Wind & Fire became very popular in the late 70s/80s with hits such as Shining Star, as you said, September and Fantasy. They were a black funk/pop band. Seals & Croft were a folk duo who had hits with Diamond Girl & Summer Breeze. I think Rare Earth were also folky & Black Oak Arkansas were a 'Southern' band like Lynyrd Skynrd.

Regarding Deep Purple I suppose that being Australian I had more exposure to British bands. You will have to take it from me that for a brief period they became almost as big as Led Zeppelin, hence their topping the bill at California Jam.

TimothyBFan
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Ok--I have to pipe up here and age myself also--I am 45 and have LOVED Black Sabbath for years but no way no how have ever really considered myself a "metalhead", nor I think would anyone else. I knew who Ozzy was long before their was a reality series showing how ate up he has become, and Geezer Butler and Tommy Iommi (this guy knows how to play a guitar!) and I can distinctly remember a summer when I was probably about 15 that I might as well call "the Summer of Black Sabbath and the Scorpions" because that was literally all I listened to that summer! Hey--guess what I even loved OzzFest in 2003 and still wear the shirt to prove it! Absolutely was awestruck by a certain Ozzfest performer by the name of Marilyn Manson (*GASP*) who I happen to consider one of the smartest people in rock n roll!

I admit I'm not a huge Deep Purple fan but Emerson, Lake & Palmer--My God --they are some of the most talented musicians out there--Lucky Man, The Peter Gunn Theme, Fanfare For The Common Man... The list goes on and on!

Sorry about the rant but seriously--I absolutely hate it when people just assume people who like that kind of music are some long haired (ok I am) drugged out (I've never tried ANY form of drug) burned out (at times when I don't get enough rest) etc... Some people just happen to enjoy a HUGE variety of music and I am always OPEN to checking out ANYTHING. I can honestly say the only kinds I won't listen to are Country and Opera---but at least I can say I have TRIED to listen to them but didn't enjoy them!!!

I would of given anything to attended something like the California Jam and seen all these artist!

Prettymaid
04-07-2009, 08:14 AM
There is no question that as far as longevity, the Eagles win hands down. However, you all have also made a point that these are very different kinds of music with very different fans and audiences. Dare I say that there are some people out there who (gasp) can't stand the Eagles music!

Koala
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Deep Purple I know, from them are really great songs.
However I know from the other bands only the name or one or two songs, I think it is no question of the age, I am 30,
only of the taste, whether you likes a band and their music or not!
But the other groups interest me simple not so much.

sodascouts
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry, Willie, I didn't mean to overgeneralize. But you have to admit... when you looked around you at OzzFest... I daresay most of the Marilyn Manson fans didn't look like you! I think it's fair to say the vast majority of attendees were metalheads. Were they all longhaired drug addicts? No, but I never equated the two. I imagine most of the guys don't have long hair, in fact, as that's not really fashionable nowadays for the metal crowd.

To illustrate my point, just found this on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZbX9KQjHc

Personally, I have nothing against metalheads, and if you like Black Sabbath, more power to ya. You're certainly not alone. Although I find Marilyn Manson absolutely repulsive and think he is a person who relies on shocking gimmicks to sell albums and tickets rather than talent, I realize that not everyone agrees. To me, he is the antithesis of what I love about music, but different strokes for different folks.

TimothyBFan
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Sorry, Willie, I didn't mean to overgeneralize. But you have to admit... when you looked around you at OzzFest... I daresay most of the Marilyn Manson fans didn't look like you!

No need to be sorry! We all have our opinions. You're right --they didn't look like me--lucky for them or their friends would of laughed at them! Actually there is such a variety from young to old, long hair and short hair, leather clad to your average dress. Really cool how it varies.

My point was that back when Black Sabbath was popular, metal heads were supposedly long haired, drugged out hippy freaks so to speak. Not anymore of course. You know me, would you have ever pictured me at OzzFest or a Marilyn Manson concert? Probably not! :hilarious:

Although I find Marilyn Manson absolutely repulsive and think he is a person who relies on shocking gimmicks to sell albums and tickets rather than talent, I realize that not everyone agrees. To me, he is the antithesis of what I love about music, but different strokes for different folks.

I didn't say I liked him, I said I was awestruck and I was indeed. I find him to be like a car wreck~ something I don't want to see but can't seem to look away from! And your above statement is EXACTLY why I stated that he is one of the smartest people in rock n roll. The man has made millions from being shocking and the terror every parent wants their kids to stay away from despite the fact he has very little talent, if any, musically. I do like a couple of his songs but that's as far as it goes. I read his autobiography and he is weird--no doubt about it, but he also knows that it's all a gimmick and is actually a very articulate young man!

Now that I have completely strayed away from this original topic--back to it ----

I would of gave anything to have been there and seen ALL of the artist, but most especially one group in general!!! :thumbsup: Oh My they looked good in those YouTube clips you posted!!

Prettymaid
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I enjoy those kinds of concerts where you get to see a bit of different kinds of music. I was at the original Farm Aid back in 1985 and (what I can remember of it) I loved it. Everything from Willie Nelson to John Mellencamp to Neil Young to Loretta Lynn to B.B. King!

Fan_For_Life
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
The videos are awesome. Thanks for sharing those Soda. And yes they are adorable.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM

For the sake of argument, let's just that I am several years beyond 30. However, I can't rattle off anything of the top of my head by Deep Purple other than Smoke on the Water either. I am familiar with both bands, but really wasn't into either of their music. I don't know if that is true for the majority of people my age or not, but I do think it is safe to say that the Eagles ended up being the "cream of the crop" out of the bunch that appeared at California Jam.

Regarding Deep Purple I suppose that being Australian I had more exposure to British bands. You will have to take it from me that for a brief period they became almost as big as Led Zeppelin, hence their topping the bill at California Jam.

FP, this may have been true in Australia. However, unless my memory is failing me, I don't ever recall Deep Purple being as big as Zeppelin in the U.S. - not even for a brief moment.

Freypower
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I did say 'almost'. :)

Because I am married to an Englishman I might occasionally have a slightly different perspective on which bands were big in the 70s and where. In Britain and Australia, Deep Purple were huge, and so were ELP. It is absolutely true that the Eagles turned out to be the biggest band here, and I am proud of it. I assumed that because Deep Purple topped the bill at California Jam, that a large number of people were there to see them, even with their new singer.

If I can explain this another way, when some of you occasionally talk about band who were huge in the States like Journey and Styx, I shake my head because I can't relate. These bands had virtually no sucess either in Australia, or in Britain (which is obviously a much bigger market). The effect of punk and New Wave in Britain was significant.

thelastresort
09-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Sorry for the bump, but I've been watching the videos of the Eagles at this concert (exactly 21 years before I was born :D) on YT, but I've found a set list hard to come by. Are the only songs they performed Already Gone, James Dean, Midnight Flyer and Take It Easy, or was there anything else? Also, I note a certain Mr. J. Browne with them and not a Mr D. Felder - I presume the latter was otherwise engaged?

(Oh, and for the record, Deep Purple are epic :wink: Black Sabbath would be too, but I can't abide Ozzy Osbourne (or his horrid wife for that matter).

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry for the bump, but I've been watching the videos of the Eagles at this concert (exactly 21 years before I was born :D) on YT, but I've found a set list hard to come by. Are the only songs they performed Already Gone, James Dean, Midnight Flyer and Take It Easy, or was there anything else? Also, I note a certain Mr. J. Browne with them and not a Mr D. Felder - I presume the latter was otherwise engaged?

(Oh, and for the record, Deep Purple are epic :wink: Black Sabbath would be too, but I can't abide Ozzy Osbourne (or his horrid wife for that matter).

That was the extent of the performance, 4 songs. Don Felder was with his wife who was giving birth to their first child. They had arranged that Jackson would fill in if the baby didn't arrive in time for Don to make it to the show.

Outlawman13
09-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I know some of the bands (that were in the California Jam) and love the ones I know!!!! LOL Earth, Wind, and Fire, Deep Purple, The Eagles (and never really liked Ozzy, but know Black Sabbath). The Eagles were brilliant in there!!!!

sodascouts
04-06-2014, 11:12 PM
40 years ago today, folks!

here's a fun little time capsule - a commercial for the show (Eagles only on it for about 2 seconds, but it's still cool to watch for nostalgia value).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dHVpD4jVQ

sodascouts
04-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Oh, and here are the performances themselves, since the ones I linked to a while back have been taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_0DzMVf1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C9UBp9zN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByaqHhBFqE

40 years ago... wonder where all those music fans are now?

thelastresort
04-06-2014, 11:43 PM
40 years ago... wonder where are those music fans are now?

Forgot Cali Jam was exactly 21 years older than me! :D

In the least morbid way possible I wonder how many of them are actually alive - some of the people featured in the audience shots must have been on some fair amount of drugs.

DJ
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
California Jam was always a dream of mine. Being a child of the 70's I loved the life style and would love to live them again!!

DJ
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Space Truckin and Highway Star were two of my favorite Deep Purple Songs!
(I am) Ironman was a huge Black Sabbath tune. Very heavy metal.

irga
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Oh Gosh... I was born in the wrong place... and at the wrong time... :sigh:

UndertheWire
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
I wish I was there! I'm old enough to remember and have been a fan of most of those bands but I lived in the wrong country. ELP were my favourite from about 1970-72 and then in 1972 I'd had enough of prog rock and switched to the Eagles, Seals & Croft, America.

Deep Purple had a UK #2 hit single with "Black Night" in 1970 and I think "Fireball" was also a hit but mostly they were known for their albums.

Elizasong
04-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for re-posting. Those are very cool.

thelastresort
04-06-2015, 11:05 AM
41st anniversary of this today. Still one of my favourite bits of Eagles footage is this concert.

chaim
04-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Don't you just love all those "I didn't know that Glenn can play lead" comments below the Already Gone video. :brickwall:

So people don't even know that Glenn plays lead on Eagles songs - and did it a lot before Fingers joined - yet they seem to know so well what exactly Felder contributed to the guitar department, announcing that they are nothing without him.

It's nice that there are people who are open minded enough to admit that Glenn plays lead when they actually see him do it. I'm sure a lot of people still deny it after seeing that clip. And some of those who admit it think that Don played it on the record, but because he couldn't be there, Glenn had to learn his solo. One very informed comment:

This was one of the first Eagles songs that Felder wrote the lead guitar for in the studio when he was brought in. His wife was in labor so he missed this concert. Glenn manages to hit most of the highlights of the solo, The really hard part for Glenn was probably doing the little lead fills that accompany his lead vocals on the verses. Was he as smooth and fluid as Felder? No, but a great job on short notice!

Someone replies:

Yep. Felder had to skip the gig because his wife went into labor that morning and gave birth to their first child. It would have been awesome if they all were there. Still it was a great performance.

Don F played an essential part in some songs in the studio, but this was not one of them. A lot of people make it sound like the most important guy was missing from that clip, so Glenn had to sill in for that big guy. But Glenn played on the record what he plays in that clip. What is missing here are Don's sustained notes on top of Glenn's solo. Glenn didn't fill in for anyone. He played his own parts. So here's another person who praises Don F, but can't actually tell his playing from Glenn's.

WalshFan88
04-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Don't you just love all those "I didn't know that Glenn can play lead" comments below the Already Gone video. :brickwall:

So people don't even know that Glenn plays lead on Eagles songs - and did it a lot before Fingers joined - yet they seem to know so well what exactly Felder contributed to the guitar department, announcing that they are nothing without him.

It's nice that there are people who are open minded enough to admit that Glenn plays lead when they actually see him do it. I'm sure a lot of people still deny it after seeing that clip. And some of those who admit it think that Don played it on the record, but because he couldn't be there, Glenn had to learn his solo. One very informed comment:

This was one of the first Eagles songs that Felder wrote the lead guitar for in the studio when he was brought in. His wife was in labor so he missed this concert. Glenn manages to hit most of the highlights of the solo, The really hard part for Glenn was probably doing the little lead fills that accompany his lead vocals on the verses. Was he as smooth and fluid as Felder? No, but a great job on short notice!

Someone replies:

Yep. Felder had to skip the gig because his wife went into labor that morning and gave birth to their first child. It would have been awesome if they all were there. Still it was a great performance.

Don F played an essential part in some songs in the studio, but this was not one of them. A lot of people make it sound like the most important guy was missing from that clip, so Glenn had to sill in for that big guy. But Glenn played on the record what he plays in that clip. What is missing here are Don's sustained notes on top of Glenn's solo. Glenn didn't fill in for anyone. He played his own parts. So here's another person who praises Don F, but can't actually tell his playing from Glenn's.

I agree and disagree here.

I agree that Glenn can play very good lead guitar in his own right and style.

I agree he did just fine without DF on this performance.

I agree that Glenn's solo is the one most people recognize on this song. DF just played high notes and in fact, on the original recording they are hard to hear as it's not as present in the mix as Glenn's solo. Easier to hear on live versions. I will admit, when I play live I play the Glenn solo on AG because it's the one everyone knows.

I agree that Glenn should be recognized more for his lead guitar skill on songs like this, WW, and ICTYW.

I agree it's hard to play that main riff while singing. I've had to do it before and you really have to think, yet not overthink to do it in time.

I disagree that DF played a small part in the record. The opening Tele bits are Bernie but that main lead fill on every chorus is distinctly DF on the record. And IMO that riff is more recognizable that Bernie's opening intro. DF's riff really tightens up the song and I feel it's very recognizable. In fact, I prefer his parts on this one to GDIH.

chaim
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
I must admit that I've always found the chorus licks in AG confusing - still do - because the sound may be more like Don's, but Glenn's solo continues straight from the last lick in the second chorus. That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Glenn played those licks on the record. But of course it's possible that Glenn joined Don on the last lick and started his solo from there.

I must say one thing here...Glenn's solo in Already Gone might be my least favorite Eagles guitar solo from him. It's sometimes too on-the-beat for me and some of the licks aren't very...imaginative. But all the same, it irritates me when people on YouTube "educate" others, telling them that Glenn learned Don's solo because Don couldn't make it.

WalshFan88
04-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I must admit that I've always found the chorus licks in AG confusing - still do - because the sound may be more like Don's, but Glenn's solo continues straight from the last lick in the second chorus. That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Glenn played those licks on the record. But of course it's possible that Glenn joined Don on the last lick and started his solo from there.

I must say one thing here...Glenn's solo in Already Gone might be my least favorite Eagles guitar solo from him. It's sometimes too on-the-beat for me and some of the licks aren't very...imaginative. But all the same, it irritates me when people on YouTube "educate" others, telling them that Glenn learned Don's solo because Don couldn't make it.

I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks. :hilarious: I find it's just as valid as the super talented people like Satriani and whatnot. I find it's more raw and full of soul. I like blues based raw rock playing in the style of Walsh, Page, and Perry. Some call it sloppy, I call it swagger. Some call lots of notes talent, I call it wanking lol.

chaim
04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks. :hilarious: I find it's just as valid as the super talented people like Satriani and whatnot. I find it's more raw and full of soul. I like blues based raw rock playing in the style of Walsh, Page, and Perry. Some call it sloppy, I call it swagger. Some call lots of notes talent, I call it wanking lol.

I think that both can be done extremely tastefully and extremely badly. I, for example, haven't listened to blues music, but I've been in "jam" situations where the I, IV, V chord progression has been played and of course I've played pentatonic stuff. I can play the notes, but it doesn't sound like real blues. It's just a guy playing a pentatonic scale. :hilarious: I love to listen to that stuff, but I can't make the guitar sing by playing it.

On the other hand, technique and fast playing can be used tastefully. I think Bruce Kulick did on his first KISS records. Actually I prefer his pre-Revenge solos, although everyone raves about how he started playing better on Revenge (better = a bit slower). Ironically I think that his pre-Revenge solos are better constructed and they have a better flow. And they are more memorable. Personally I couldn't shred if my life depended on it.

So, pentatonic blues playing can sound extremely dull if the player has no feel for that kind of music. And extremely fast playing can be dull if there's no sense of structure or melody.

Then it comes to the question, which one is more torture, badly played blues or shredding for shredding's sake? A tough one.:hilarious:

UndertheWire
04-06-2015, 07:49 PM
I read that with AG, Felder added a second lead guitar to the track which had already been recorded. I don't pay close attention to the guitars, so I don't miss Felder's contribution on the California Jam version.

I'd be interested if someone with guitar knowledge would listen to the bootleg version of GDIH (Nov 1973) and explain how the the slide guitar on that differs from the recorded version. I know the playing on the record is stronger and the mix is differerent, but is it signficantly different?

Jonny Come Lately
04-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Just noticed that today marks the 42nd anniversary of the Eagles' California Jam. :birthday: I think they only did four songs, but the performances are all very good, especially Take It Easy, which is one of my favourite live song performances - I always love it but this version feels unique to me as I like the vocal ad libs and Jackson's prominent piano near the end.

I must admit I do notice the absence of the second lead guitar on Already Gone, although it's still a quality performance and Glenn does a great job with his solo. Glenn was really on a roll at this stage I think, I recently mentioned how I feel he is the star of the show on the On The Border album and it's the same here with him singing three of the lead vocals plus playing lead guitar on Already Gone. Actually, I've only just realised that Don Henley didn't have a lead vocal in this show! That seems quite incredible when you contrast it with the Hotel California era.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2016, 01:38 PM
I wonder why their set was so short? I know Desperado was a bit of disappointment sales-wise, but they had roared back with the single Already Gone from OTB.

AlreadyGone95
04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Happy anniversary to this performance. I love it, particularly Already Gone because Glenn is front and center on it.

I have to laugh at Soda's first post, where she mentions that only the Eagles would be recognized by the younger generation. I was 13 when she made that comment, and I would've known most of the bands listed and could name several songs from each, especially Sabbath and Deep Purple. In the current time, I know all bands, and are familiar with them, even Rare Earth and Seals and Croft..:hilarious:

UndertheWire
04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
I wonder why their set was so short? I know Desperado was a bit of disappointment sales-wise, but they had roared back with the single Already Gone from OTB.
On the Border was released on March 22, 1974 and the first single wasn't released until after California Jam. Compared to ELP, Deep Purple and such, they weren't a big band at that point.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Yeah but Earth, Wind & Fire played a long set and they didn't have their breakthrough single and album until 1975's That's the Way of the World.

Jonny Come Lately
04-06-2016, 03:37 PM
As one of the younger people here, and British, I have to say that once I discount the Eagles, three of the bands on the California Jam setlist are much more recognisable to me than any of the others - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and ELP. In the UK I think most casual rock fans tend to know who the first two are, but I can understand Soda's point from an American perspective.

Of these bands, Deep Purple is the one I know and like best - the Mark 2 version (Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Roger Glover and Ian Paice) is one of my favourite bands, although it was the Mark 3 version who played at the Jam whose albums I am not quite so familiar with, though Burn is a terrific song. Their peak was a bit short compared to most of the other great bands, but what a peak it was. My favourite song by them is Highway Star, although I think all of the songs on In Rock and especially Machine Head are impressive. I'm not an expert on Black Sabbath or ELP, though I can name songs by them, and I know exactly who the band members are and what type of music they made, so to speak.

The other names on the list don't mean much to me, to be honest. I think I might have heard a Seals & Croft song on the radio once, and I've come across Earth, Fire and Wind before, but I really don't know the other two (Rare Earth or Black Oak Arkansas) at all.

I can understand why the Eagles weren't headliners at that stage, as they had only just released their third album and as Desperado had not been as successful as hoped. It would have been awesome to see them there though, especially when I look at the mostly dreadful weather we've had here today (it's been windy all day, with awful rain showers to boot) the sunshine looks glorious!

buffyfan145
04-06-2016, 03:57 PM
I loved this concert too and watching the vids on YT!!! :D I too loved how Glenn was featured so much more than usual, and a bit weird not having Don sing. I agree with AG too and I knew most of the other bands from a young age thanks to my parents, aunts, and uncles.

FWIW
04-06-2016, 04:26 PM
I was living in So Cal in 1974 and I remember the excitement of Cal Jam well. The Eagles rocked their set. So glad we can re-live the event on YouTube now. My favorite Glenn comment was about seeing the Goodyear blimp. "Just like Wide World of Sports." They must have felt like they really hit the big time playing to such a huge crowd.

NightMistBlue
04-06-2016, 04:41 PM
You were there! I'm very jealous :)

FWIW
04-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Oops. The way I worded my post makes it sound like I was there. My older brother got to go. My parents thought I was a little too young even though some of my friends went. :( I was living very close to the venue and Cal Jam was the talk of the town for quite a while!

NightMistBlue
04-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Did you watch it on tv?

NightMistBlue
04-07-2016, 09:42 AM
I love the solo on Already Gone... Though I'm much like Walsh in that I'm not a technician or a theory man, and don't want to be. I'm all about blues box pentatonic playing and Chuck Berry licks. :hilarious:

WalshFan, are you able to play "Life's Been Good"? I'm not :( The multiple string bending in first position on the neck [for the main riff] - Joe must have incredible strength in his hands. I would not want to get in a thumb-wrestling match with the man.

FWIW
04-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Did you watch it on tv?

No, that was back in the dark ages when there were only 3 channels: ABC, CBS and NBC. Lol. I heard it on the radio. When I found the Cal Jam videos on YouTube many years later, I joked with my mother that I *finally* got a chance to see the show.

WalshFan88
04-17-2016, 01:05 AM
WalshFan, are you able to play "Life's Been Good"? I'm not :( The multiple string bending in first position on the neck [for the main riff] - Joe must have incredible strength in his hands. I would not want to get in a thumb-wrestling match with the man.

Yes. But I agree it is tough, at least at first. Almost impossible on acoustic. I love that riff though.

Delilah
05-08-2017, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have this DVD?

http://www.rockshowvideos.com/caljam1974dvd.html

I am interested but TBH, I only want the Eagles footage; the rest I can always watch on YT. I was wondering about video/sound quality and any little extras.

NightMistBlue
05-09-2017, 10:36 AM
I bought the whole thing. The Eagles set is sadly short - I think it's only about 4 songs? I don't know why. The sets by Earth, Wind & Fire and Seals & Crofts seemed much longer (I don't mean that in a snarky way, I love those bands).

The quality is fine. There are no extras. If you're not interested in the other bands, you'd probably be better off with YouTube or Vimeo, one of those.

Delilah
05-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks, NMB. I was kind of hoping "Blackberry Blossom" might be tucked in there even though it's not listed on the back cover. I've watched some of the other bands on YT and their stuff doesn't seem to get yanked off like the Eagles' videos do. I'm still mulling it over; my wish list keeps getting longer. :-)

Delilah
05-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I was looking at "This Day in Eagles History" and noticed that today was the day they played the "California Jam" concert in 1974, to a crowd of approximately 200,000 people. Can you imagine???

I looked at who else played that day on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam), and here's the list:

Rare Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_%28band%29)
Earth, Wind and Fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth,_Wind_and_Fire)
Eagles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles)
Seals & Crofts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seals_%26_Crofts)
Black Oak Arkansas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Oak_Arkansas)
Black Sabbath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath)
Deep Purple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_and_Palmer)

Isn't it amazing that out of all those bands, only the Eagles would probably be recognizable to a younger generation of listeners today?

And they weren't even the headliners!

And for fun, here are some videos from that day. Don't they look adorable? They were really rockin'!

I’m bringing this forward for those who may not be familiar with this music festival. As can be seen here, this was not a stand alone Eagles concert so not all attendees were there specifically for the Eagles. With the exposure and buzz for playing for 200,000, I’m not convinced the Eagles would have cancelled the show if Glenn or Don H couldn’t make it (well, maybe Glenn) as was contended in another thread.

Scottside did well putting some context to it and I will add some too.

First of all, Don H doesn’t sing any leads in the short setlist. Even the video footage shows little of him. In 1974 he was not the prominent lead singer he was later on. So if he couldn’t appear for some reason and was replaced by someone else playing his drum parts, I don’t believe fans would be “outraged.” Esp. if it were announced he couldn’t be there b/c his wife is giving birth to their child (or some other major reason).

If Glenn doesn’t show that would be problematic b/c he sings lead on 3 songs and was the frontman. It’s possible they would have cancelled but it’s also possible they would have replaced him (with Jackson?) or his songs. Fans would be sad and disappointed but I doubt they would be outraged if he couldn’t be there b/c his wife was giving birth.

Randy sings lead and plays prominent bass on one song, plus sings critical harmonies on 2 others. I don’t agree his absence would be as insignificant as was stated in the other thread. He would probably be replaced if he couldn’t show but the setlist would probably not include Midnight Flyer. I do believe his female fans would have been disappointed by his absence.

1974 is not 1994 and the 70s era is not the reunion concert era. One show during a festival is not the same as a whole tour. It’s apples to oranges really.

groupie2686
05-08-2018, 02:01 PM
I’m bringing this forward for those who may not be familiar with this music festival. As can be seen here, this was not a stand alone Eagles concert so not all attendees were there specifically for the Eagles. With the exposure and buzz for playing for 200,000, I’m not convinced the Eagles would have cancelled the show if Glenn or Don H couldn’t make it (well, maybe Glenn) as was contended in another thread.

Scottside did well putting some context to it and I will add some too.

First of all, Don H doesn’t sing any leads in the short setlist. Even the video footage shows little of him. In 1974 he was not the prominent lead singer he was later on. So if he couldn’t appear for some reason and was replaced by someone else playing his drum parts, I don’t believe fans would be “outraged.” Esp. if it were announced he couldn’t be there b/c his wife is giving birth to their child (or some other major reason).

If Glenn doesn’t show that would be problematic b/c he sings lead on 3 songs and was the frontman. It’s possible they would have cancelled but it’s also possible they would have replaced him (with Jackson?) or his songs. Fans would be sad and disappointed but I doubt they would be outraged if he couldn’t be there b/c his wife was giving birth.

Randy sings lead and plays prominent bass on one song, plus sings critical harmonies on 2 others. I don’t agree his absence would be as insignificant as was stated in the other thread. He would probably be replaced if he couldn’t show but the setlist would probably not include Midnight Flyer. I do believe his female fans would have been disappointed by his absence.

1974 is not 1994 and the 70s era is not the reunion concert era. One show during a festival is not the same as a whole tour. It’s apples to oranges really.

I wasn't alive in 1974 so I can't speak to what fans would have thought, but would have people have accepted an "Eagles" fronted by Jackson, without Glenn, when Glenn sang 3 out of the 4 songs played? Since it was so early in their careers and they were still up and coming, it's possible, I suppose, that fans wouldn't have known the difference.

In watching early footage, it's remarkable how much of a minor role Don played in the band back then. He barely sung any leads and didn't speak at all! Things sure changed.

All of this aside, the footage of this concert is great. They were so young and still seemed a little nervous. These are my favorite performances of Already Gone, James Dean, and Midnight Flyer.

New Kid In Town
05-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Hi Groupie - I was a 70's kid. They were my HS and college years. I can tell you in April 1974, the Eagles were not that big a band, and replacing one member may not have caused them to cancel. Glenn was the lead singer at that time but there was still Randy, Bernie and even Don who could have stepped forward. They could have just song a shorter set list with all those other bands playing. I think On the Border had just been released. After the release of OOTN it would have been more problematic.

Delilah - Good points and I agree with you.

I love the Calif. Jam footage too. I love Rady's version of MF. They rocked all the songs. They all look so young and excited to be there. Love Glenn's comment about the blimp - "Just like Wide World of Sports" - lol, too cute.

Freypower
05-08-2018, 06:48 PM
I fail to see why any of the four core members (as the band then was) would have been replaced if they hadn't shown. Felder was new. Nobody knew who he was so it was OK to replace him. Not the others.

I think people should look at where the Eagles were billed. They were third from bottom. They were not going to play a long set.

I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least. I would hope that younger Americans might remember Earth, Wind & Fire.

thelastresort
05-08-2018, 06:53 PM
I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least.

Once you see Keith's spinning piano and Ritchie's, erm, tantrum you never forget them!

One of the other acts that day was a superb Southern band who sadly fell of the face of the earth by and large - Black Oak Arkansas. They did a superb little set.

UndertheWire
05-09-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure that younger people in the UK would know ELP. With the arrival of punk, progressive rock became deeply unfashionable. Deep Purple may have benefited from the popularity of the newer hard rock bands and, of course, Black Sabbath have the continuing soap opera of Ozzie.

Anyway, back to 1974 when ELP and Deep Purple were HUGE and Eagles was not.

So it's April 6th 1974, just 15 days after the release of On the Border. Even Eagles fans may not have had the chance to hear and see the album and the majority of the audience were probably not specifically Eagles fans. Therefore the absence of the "late arrival" who only played on one song that was included in the set would be unlikely to be missed by many. They could also manage without Felder because they had played these songs as a foursome.

There may have been friction within the band, but outwardly it was the original line-up of a group where vocal duties were shared. No one was more important than any other and I believe they'd have been as likely to cancel if Randy or Bernie was ill as if it was Don or Glenn. If anything, I would expect that the core members would be under a lot of pressure to perform at such a high profile show no matter how ill they might be.

As for performing with a substitute, with no time to rehearse, I just don't see it. Unless it was a friend who'd hung around during rehearsals and maybe joined in jam sessions.

In the 70s, did Eagles ever play without one of the core members? Did they cancel because of illness or just carry on?

Ive always been a dreamer
05-09-2018, 12:34 PM
UTW - I tend to agree with you about this. In the early days of the band, I don't believe the band would have performed without any of the key members. Even later after Glenn and Don became the focus of the band, I can't ever recall the band performing without all of the members on stage. They rarely canceled a show and if they did, it was only when one of the members was absolutely unable to perform. Even with the HFO resumption, when Glenn and Don had much more bargaining power, they were determined to go with the lineup intact that they ended with in 1980. And even in late 2012 when Timothy had surgery for throat and neck cancer, I think a few shows were canceled, but he also performed some while recovering. They never performed with a substitute after California Jam to the best of my knowledge.

MaryCalifornia
05-09-2018, 01:08 PM
If you think about it, it doesn't seem like any major acts have ever played with substitutes. I think of U2, the Stones - have any of them ever played a show without one of the core members or with someone filling in? They must have done, but I just can't recall...

In addition to any shows cancelled in 2012, I seem to remember that shows were cancelled during the HFO tour because of Timothy illness/injury? Could be mistaken, I'll have to check...

groupie2686
05-09-2018, 01:48 PM
I believe some HFO shows were cancelled in 1994 because Glenn had surgery.

I don't really consider Jackson a substitute for Felder at California Jam. I like Jackson's music a lot, but I don't think he could fill in for Felder on guitar. As some have said, since they had already played those songs as a foursome, they did that at California Jam, and Jackson played with them as he often did in those days.

I had read of bands in the 60s (The Beatles, The Dave Clark Five) having a substitute fill in if one member was unable to go on. I remember reading something about Ringo being ill and them bringing in a session drummer, but I could be wrong about that.

New Kid In Town
05-09-2018, 02:30 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the Beatles hired a drummer when Ringo came down with strep throat or something with his tonsils.

thelastresort
05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Jackson didn't really replace Felder in fairness - he did the rhythm guitar on MF granted, but he played piano on James Dean and Take It Easy, and nothing on Already Gone. Obviously he wouldn't have been there if Felder was, but it was more a substitute than outright like-for-like.

DJ
05-09-2018, 03:54 PM
I fail to see why any of the four core members (as the band then was) would have been replaced if they hadn't shown. Felder was new. Nobody knew who he was so it was OK to replace him. Not the others.

I think people should look at where the Eagles were billed. They were third from bottom. They were not going to play a long set.

I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least. I would hope that younger Americans might remember Earth, Wind & Fire.

I agree Freypower. There were alot of big bands at this festival. Deep Purple is still a favorite of mine. We had the best music. 8)

Delilah
05-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Delilah - Good points and I agree with you.

I love the Calif. Jam footage too. I love Rady's version of MF. They rocked all the songs. They all look so young and excited to be there. Love Glenn's comment about the blimp - "Just like Wide World of Sports" - lol, too cute.

Thank you, NKIT, the blimp reminds of something- this concert was broadcast on TV over 2 nights. This is another reason the Eagles may not have wanted to cancel. This was big- time exposure for them. It probably would require a change in the setlist.

However, I do see UtW’s point about scrambling at the last minute for a viable replacement. That may not have been an option.

According to Randy’s concert chronology, there were a number of occasions where concerts were postponed. Reasons were not always provided though so it’s not clear if the postponement was due to the band or venue.

At any rate, the gist of my post was more about the fan reaction if indeed another drummer replaced Henley at the Cal Jam—I don’t think it would be outrage. If Glenn were replaced due to major unforeseeable circumstances e.g a family emergency, I don’t think it would be outrage either but fans would definitely be disappointed and they would certainly know the difference.

To FP’s point about younger people being familiar with these bands, I know a number of hip-hop acts like Jay-Z have sampled Earth Wind and Fire’s songs. Whether they are aware of it or not—who knows.

Freypower
05-09-2018, 06:50 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the Beatles hired a drummer when Ringo came down with strep throat or something with his tonsils.

Jimmy Nicol played a couple of shows at the start of the Australian tour while Ringo recovered from tonsilitis. That was it.

New Kid In Town
05-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Thank You FP, I had remembered reading something about someone stepping in for Ringo when he was sick but that is all I knew.

Delilah, I just remembered something about the CJ footage. When watching it there is something that comes across stating the concert is on WPLJ 95.5 - which is and was a local big NY radio station. I used to listen to it all the time back then. And, you are right, I do remember something about the concert being shown on tv. That was probably their first big exposure to an American audience.

My My
05-09-2018, 10:26 PM
I have been reading some old newspaper articles (1974) about California Jam. The concert was sponsored by and produced by ABC Entertainment, which was a division of the ABC network. ABC had a late night block of entertainment called "Wide World of Entertainment." This was an effort to compete with The Tonight Show. ABC's WWoE included comedy specials, documentaries, limited talk shows, and concert specials. The concerts would air a couple of times a month and were called ABC's "In Concert."

It appears that California Jam was a 4 part television series, airing from 11:30-1:00. When each part was aired, the tape from the concert was also broadcast on ABC affiliated radio stations.

May 10, 1974--One song from each group, usually the closing number. Interviews with various group members, concert information, crowd shots etc.
May 24, 1974--Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rare Earth
June 7, !974--Emerson,Lake,&Palmer, Black Oak Arkansas
June 21, 1974 Seals & Crofts, Eagles, Earth, Wind & Fire

These shows were rebroadcast again in November of that year.

I have to think that Glenn's blimp comment about "Wide World of Sports" (which was a huge ABC hit at the time), was a slight wink and a nod to all of the network honchos who were there and in charge of editing and airing the concert. That comment made the show, didn't it? Smart man, great marketing!

peneumbra
05-09-2018, 11:39 PM
I worked this thing - both Cal Jams - and it was not a pleasant experience, at least for the participants.

The air quality, for one thing, was awful. You couldn't really see the mountains surrounding the venue. And this concert was so huge that it felt like some kind of gigantic industrial project, complete with forklifts and water trucks and massive sets that had been pre-staged on flatbed trailers. One of the English guys said that, if the Third Reich had put on rock concerts, this is what they would look like.

I didn't think the Eagles set was particularly good, and the band wasn't particularly happy with it either, as I recall. One thing that may have contributed to this was the repeated failure of the A/C units in the dressing room/trailer; another issue was that the sound checks (because of the number of acts and because the whole load-in was running late) only lasted for maybe 15 or 20 minutes per band.:shrug:

BillBailey1976
05-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Penumbra, how long do sound checks normally last, and what do bands do during sound check? I'm sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question, but I have never been on the inside of a band, or what they are looking for in sound check.
I mean I understand the basics, based on the name, sound check....but I'd be interested to hear what sort of things they do, as far as which numbers, how much of a song, that type of thing.