PDA

View Full Version : U2

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I just love U2 - they're my third favorite band, after the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.

Imagine my dismay when my friend and I tried to get tickets to their Chicago show... only to find out that tickets cost $267 apiece after fees!!!!! And this isn't just the floor - there's some that cost that much as far up as the 4th tier!!!

Guess I'll just have to stay home.

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Well, this makes me feel a little better about them - their version of ILAA gives all the proceeds from the VIP tickets to charity:

http://u2log.com/2009/03/30/100-percent-of-u2-red-zone-tickets-profit-goes-to-charity/

However, too bad some of that charity couldn't extend to lower ticket prices for the fans!

TimothyBFan
04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke
04-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Makes you wonder-"what recession?"

It seems the entertainment industry hasn't felt it yet cause people are still paying these outrageous prices. :shrug:

eaglesvet
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I saw the same prices out here by me, and the first thing I thought was how big the jump up from Eagles tix prices. I don't love U2, I merely like them, so I would never pay this to see them...in fact, I'm not sure I would pay this to see anyone. Well, I'm sure I could think of an exception or two, but it would have to be pretty darn special...something on the order of Live Aid (which I wish I could remember, but I think we paid $100 pp or less for all that music...but back in '85 that was worth a lot more!)

Freypower
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I think it is worth repeating here that last time I saw the Eagles I paid $550 EACH for four of the shows.

I will be booking soon for Simon & Garfunkel and I am expecting that to be at least $300, which is also what I paid to see Eric Clapton.

I am not trying to whine here, but it costs a great deal more to go to concerts in this country than it does in the Northern Hemisphere.

Maleah
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I've checked on these as well and was very disappointed to see the prices. I REALLY wanted to see the band, as I LOVE U2, but not at those prices!

tbsfan
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
There are less expensive tickets as well at $30, $55 & $95 - something for everyone. The seats may not be as good, but I've gone with those type seats in the past just so I could see certain performers. I love U2 but my complaint with this tour is there isn't something for those of us who don't like stadium shows (and that once again they aren't coming to my town). :(

sodascouts
04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
All the seats under $100 sold out before my friend and I could get to them. Why? Because there weren't very many of them. The VAST majority of the arena's seats were over $100. Indeed, a great portion of the arena was top dollar. As mentioned earlier, this extends all the way up to part of the fourth tier!

The cheapest ones that we were able to bring up, costing $100 each, were not very close. We'd be watching it off the screens. $100 is a lot of money to me; I want decent seats if I'm gonna pay it.

No thanks.

Prettymaid
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't blame you Soda. Somebody has to reel in these promoters and their exorbitant ticket prices, and it looks like it's going to have to be us, the concert goers.

Glennsallnighter
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I won tickets to see them way back in 1987! They were only pitch standing tickets but myself and my sister had a good time at the gig. We were still students at the time and had previously decided that we couldn't afford to go so it was a nice bonus. I won't be seeing them this year in Dublin. All my money has gone on the Eagles :yay: and if there is anything left over it'll be Spandau Ballet.

Outlawman13
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
U2 is just simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! All of their songs are incredible and this is my all time favvie from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSdTa9kaiQ

I love Bono's voice in all of his songs.

EagleLady
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I love them too

sodascouts
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I absolutely love these guys. If I can ever afford it, I hope to see them live. Right now, however, my concert funds go elsewhere!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I absolutely love these guys. If I can ever afford it, I hope to see them live. Right now, however, my concert funds go elsewhere!

I wanted to go on their last tour, but all the ones nearby were stadium concerts and you know, I don't do those.

NYC Fan
03-24-2013, 09:59 PM
They are amazing in concert. I've probably seem them 30 or so times, going back to the first time I saw them at Woolsey Hall on Bono's 23rd birthday in 1983 on the War tour. That show remains one of my most memorable concert experiences ever. We were up in the balcony, which ran in a U shape above the orchestra. Bono climbed up a scaffolding and began walking on top of the railing of the balcony, which was about a foot wide, leaning toward the people in the balcony and having them hold on to his hand for balance, as he was still singing. It was actually a bit terrifying, as someone could have easily shoved him off the railing into the orchestra below. He climbed down in the audience about 5 feet from us and finished the song. Later, they brought out champagne and cake and everyone sang happy birthday.

I've seen them on every tour since, except on that dreadful pop mart stadium tour, and have never been less than floored by their shows. The Joshua Tree tour was probably my favorite, but the last few arena tours they have done have been great. My recommendation, if they tour arenas next time, is to do GA and try to get into the inner circle. It's an incredible experience to be in there.

Zanny Kingston
01-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I was glad to see U2 won a Golden globe award for their song in the Mandela Movie. I liked the fact that Bono had Larry, Edge and Adam say a little something when they won the award.

I have been a long time fan of theirs and was glad to hear they have a new album coming soon!

WalshGirl
09-22-2016, 12:59 AM
I was glad to see U2 won a Golden globe award for their song in the Mandela Movie. I liked the fact that Bono had Larry, Edge and Adam say a little something when they won the award.

I have been a long time fan of theirs and was glad to hear they have a new album coming soon!

U2 is also one of my top bands. And the Ordinary Love song is one of my favorites. I especially like the acoustic version they did on Jimmy Fallon a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fum3g86zUPc

buffyfan145
09-22-2016, 10:13 AM
I love U2 so much as well!!! :D One of my all-time favorites too.

NightMistBlue
09-22-2016, 11:35 AM
I hope Soda has since gotten to see U2.

NYCFan, that's amazing you've seen them so many times. I've seen them about 4 times, including the "dreadful pop mart stadium tour" - which was really good! My favorite was probably the Zoo tour in '92 because it was my first time seeing them. They had been staying for a week in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania of all places, where I was living at the time. No one could believe the world-famous U2 was hunkered down in our nowheresville town. They would drive (themselves, actually Larry Mullen was the driver) to Hershey Stadium every day and rehearse. It's an outdoor venue so my friend and I would stand in the parking lot and listen. They were amazing even in rehearsal, especially Edge. I still remember him playing these Hendrix-y bursts of sonic flame into the sky.

"October" is my favorite album. I love their early period, pre-Joshua Tree. They were so unique. Their music was passionate, beautiful and spiritual. I went through some weird resentment stuff when they went all mainstream and had Top 40 hits. You know how possessive and neurotic "early" fans can be. But I had to admit their music was still pretty damn good & eventually got over myself. :)

WalshGirl
09-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I love U2 so much as well!!! :D One of my all-time favorites too.

buffyfan145: U2 and Joe, what a concert that would be! :grooving:

NightMistBlue: I'm not surprised U2 would drive around by themselves. They are so comfortable around their fans. It's really unbelievable.

Last night, while thinking about my favorite U2 songs, I came across concert footage from 2004, when they had a free concert in Brooklyn. If anyone hasn't seen it, it's a good concert. Even better is the non-concert footage of U2 singing on the streets, talking to their fans, and praising NYC as a special place to them.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3T_1askh5A