PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback

Freypower
01-04-2006, 11:03 PM
If you listen to the XM clips on Eagleland's main page, in track 13 Glenn talks about each member's role. He calls himself 'sorta the quarterback'. He says he doesn't throw the ball often and tries to hand off. He leaves it at that. I think he has summed it up rather well. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/glasses.gif

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
Great expectations, everybody's watching you

sodascouts
01-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Interesting. I can definitely see that. It makes me nervous, though, when he talks about liking to hand off! Quarterbacks need a good passing game, too, ya know. lol

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/glennbanner.jpg

Molly
01-05-2006, 12:09 AM
If you listen to the XM clips on Eagleland's main page, in track 13 Glenn talks about each member's role. He calls himself 'sorta the quarterback'. He says he doesn't throw the ball often and tries to hand off. He leaves it at that. I think he has summed it up rather well.

Ah, yes, but I hear he also moves around well in the pocket, and when he needs to he can go long and deep (Those are American football analogies, really....no really) :twisted:

Molly
01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
I think I have another Act of Contrition in my future.

Freypower
01-05-2006, 12:33 AM
So THAT's what he meant by 'stay in the pocket'!

Touchdown!!!!

Given that American football isn't my sport I think I have the basic idea. :twisted:

~~~

Ive always been a dreamer
01-05-2006, 01:15 AM
FP - I hope you get this - but, all I can say is if Glenn is the quarterback, then I want to be the center. :twisted:

Molly - It's two "Hail Mary's" for you. That's really an American football analogy, too. In case you all didn't know, football is my favorite sport next to Frey ball. So, now Glenn has me on a roll!!!

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Molly
01-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Oh, hell, let's go for 3 Hail Mary's. Dreamer, do you think with Glenn it's 1st and Ten?

Molly
01-05-2006, 01:42 AM
[quote]I want to be the center.[/qoute]

And that snap count would go on and on and on....I may never say "Hike!"

Dammit, 4 Hail Mary's!

sodascouts
01-05-2006, 01:50 AM
I've never found football so fascinating as I have reading this thread. ;)

~

MizCB
01-05-2006, 01:51 AM
I see Glenn as more of a "tight end".

01-05-2006, 02:17 AM
And that snap count would go on and on and on....I may never say "Hike!"

Dammit, 4 Hail Mary's!

Whoa Molly - I claimed center first, and it happens to be 3rd and long, so step aside sister. :lol:

Oh crap - I think I just got penalized for roughing the passer!

Well Molly - After further review, I think it's definately 1st and TEN! :twisted:

~~~~~~

01-05-2006, 02:20 AM
I see Glenn as more of a "tight end".

MizCB - he is versatile, isn't he? I can definately see Glenn in multiple positions! ;)

~~~~~~

Z
01-05-2006, 08:35 AM
So while all you ladies are practicing your fancy "football" moves on the field, I plan to be in the locker room helping to revive a certain long haired gentleman's tired and sore muscles. :twisted:

(Molly, can you make room in that pew for me? :D

Molly
01-05-2006, 03:55 PM
All right, I may as well go for the entire Rosary at this point...

Dreamer, I've always heard football basically always comes down to a game of inches! And then there's the whole discussion of the best way to get into the end zone.

My game would definitely go into overtime. Of course then there will need to be a coin toss. Heads or tails? My answer - Both!

Freypower
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
What have I started?

Could I say that in 'real' football (soccer) he would be a striker? :D Or perhaps he would think of himself as a 'midfield general'. I suppose I should now make a joke along the lines of 'he shoots, he scores'. :blush:

~~~

01-06-2006, 03:31 AM
FP - I know you started this off as a serious topic and I agree with what you said about Glenn's statement. He always tend to downplay his role. His modesty is one of the things that is so charismatic about him, IMO.

HOWEVER, please accept my apologies because the football analogies just beg for shallowness.

So Karen - how did that long-haired fellow tire out so quickly - I guess you had him run the two-minute drill one too many times.

Now Molly - I don't think Glenn will have any problem scoring in this game. My favorite way of getting into the end zone has always been a long drive with a good balance between handing off and deep passes. Of course, the perfect drive never involves illegal use of the hands.

And for you FP - you say "he shoots, he scores" - in my way of playing the game, I prefer to reverse that order.

Okay - now move over ladies and make some more space in that pew.

~~~~~~

sodascouts
01-06-2006, 04:05 AM
FP - I know you started this off as a serious topic and I agree with what you said about Glenn's statement. He always tend to downplay his role. His modesty is one of the things that is so charismatic about him, IMO.

I just hope the comment about handing off a lot doesn't mean he's giving away the majority of lead vocals to others as he did on Hotel California.

As for football talk, well... not much to add there! Except :pimp:

~

01-06-2006, 04:30 AM
I just hope the comment about handing off a lot doesn't mean he's giving away the majority of lead vocals to others as he did on Hotel California.

I agree with you here, too. This is just my opinion, but I think Glenn definately asserted himself a lot more in F1 than he did in HFO. He truly "handed off" in HFO. I think with time and maturity, they have all come to realize, that what makes the Eagles so special is the combination of all of the guys. It's obvious that they draw much larger crowds as the Eagles than any of them do as solo acts. If they do release that CD, I really hope Glenn has more than one lead vocal, even though Don is the "chief vocalist." At least in the F1 tour, Glenn had pretty much equal time with Don. And it seems to me that these days all of them are okay with sharing the spotlight. I don't think any of them probably have the energy required to try to be front and center all the time now.

~~~~~~

glenneaglesfan
01-06-2006, 06:02 AM
I haven't a clue about American football but I've just picked myself up from the floor laughing. You girls are so bad! Apologies for reverting to shallowness, but if it were rugby I'd be waiting for the interception and the up and under to inside centre. :twisted: Any more room in that pew?

~~~

This way to happiness...

Z
01-06-2006, 06:49 AM
So Karen - how did that long-haired fellow tire out so quickly - I guess you had him run the two-minute drill one too many times.

Oh honey, I'm praying those drills are much longer than two minutes!! :blush:

Freypower
01-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I thought the quarterback was the star player even though he isn't necessarily fully involved for the whole game. When he is though, you know about it. So I didn't think Glenn was downplaying his role but being his usual generous self to the other three as well as emphasising his own strengths.

I think we are all worried how many songs he will sing on this album but because albums are longer these days, I am hoping for at least three or four. I think that's not much to ask for.

As for the way he 'handed off' in HFO, while admirable, it was extremely frustrating. F1 represents the real Eagles where he is the dominant force even if he doesn't think he is the 'chief vocalist', which is something else on which I could take issue with him.

~~~

sodascouts
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
I thought the quarterback was the star player even though he isn't necessarily fully involved for the whole game.

You're right - he's the one who calls the shots, so I guess in that sense, Glenn wasn't being modest! lol

~

glenneaglesfan
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I think he should be thought of as a player/ manager - part of the team, but also guiding the whole team towards a cohesive and successful future.

~~~

This way to happiness...

01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I agree with everything said here. I said Glenn downplayed his role - but I agree with you all. I think that was a bad choice of words. I really meant to say pretty much exactly what all of you have said.

And now ( bear with me, I think I'm almost done) - speaking of choice of words ...

Let me just say that I think this is going to be a very high scoring game with lots of turnovers. I sure don't plan on playing any defense. I am very eager for Glenn to get in the end zone a lot so I can keep repeatedly cheering "Yeah Glenn touch down! Yeah Glenn touch down!" :rotfl:

Now - can one of you girls please pass those communion wafers my way. :twisted:

~~~~~~