PDA

View Full Version : Site network history and information

sodascouts
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I put up a brief history / structural explanation of the site network called "All About Us" as a sticky in this forum, for those who are curious. Enjoy! :)

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Very well explained Nancy, and thanks for all the hard work you have done on these sites. For my part I first 'Googled' Glenn :heart: Frey on 11 November 2006, having been blown away by him the previous summer at a live Eagles gig in Dublin. For a while I had just surfed the official Eagles site but I wanted to find out more. All the search results pointed me in the direction of 'glennfreyonline' and I was overwhelmed with the amount of information it had. I spent the next 2 months downloading music and pictures. Then on February 9th I 'discovered' the Border........and the rest is history!!

I would say this is probably the best Eagles fansite on the internet today!

Well done Nancy

sodascouts
04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Aw, thank you, sweetie! And I'm so glad you found us! :)

Troubadour
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree with Lisa. I am so glad I stumbled across The Border. We have such a fantastic, supportive group of people here and I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't come here and talk about the guys! Thanks for making it happen, Soda.

Maleah
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I LOVE this board and everyone on it! I've been a part of many message boards for various bands/artists and just plain music in general and I have NEVER felt such a bond with my fellow members like I do here. I genuinely consider everyone to be my friends and I'm SO glad that I found my way here and was welcomed with such open arms! I wasn't one of the original members (joined December 17, 2006!), but I was made to feel as if I was pretty darn close and it made me feel at home. Thank you all for that!

eaglesvet
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh Nancy, I loved reading about how this all started! I kinda knew bits and pieces from stories along the way, but not all of it together like that. And to tell you the truth, the site(s) seem like they have existed a lot longer than they actually have...meaning you have done so much in what I think is a relatively short time (whether or not it seems long to you...) :thumbsup: I guess that's one reason everyone seemed so welcoming when I joined...many Borderers really had only been "legal" just slightly longer than I had at the time :hilarious:!
So Nancy, despite all of the information your narrative details, I am left with one question...of the six members you list in helping you get all of those sites up and running, did you know any of them from your real life before the fan sites, or did you "meet" them all through GFO/Flip City? Either way, I find the whole scope of the projects done by y'all to be absolutely top-notch, and so far removed from what my talents are that it just amazes me. It is great to meet a group of people through one common interest, but then discover so much more about them on a day-to-day basis that it really is like checking in with a bunch of friends--thanks!:grouphug:

sodascouts
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys! Like I told GA, I'm so glad you all are posting on the board. Evet, while I didn't know any of those six people people prior to meeting them on another message board, I have been lucky enough to meet all of them in person eventually with the exception of JoeFan. It's amazing how close you can get to people who don't live anywhere near you! Now, they are all very good friends. Like you said, the whole community feels like friends... and that has always been what we've wanted!

eaglesvet
04-08-2009, 12:07 AM
BTW, I've only ever looked at one other musician's (unofficial) fansite/message board--which has been in existence for far longer than EOC--and is considered the "be-all and end-all" for all sounds Jersey shore.
Although I'm willing to go there for ticket/show information, I just can't be bothered to wade through the posts and try to figure out their organization, their personalities, and whatever else would draw me in and make me actually want to chime right in. So I don't. Basically, that site is good for the occasional fling, but HERE is where the true relationships form! (Awww...)

Freypower
04-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Just a word on behalf of the moderators: thanks to all who have posted such fantastic comments about EOC, its sister sites and all the hard work Nancy and the other site administrators have done to make our community so successful and thriving. Needless to say we all appreciate your input and your contributions.:grouphug:

Koala
04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for making it, Soda!

I love the Border! I am very gladly that I has found the Border!
I like it to read something about the Eagles or about other Stuff every day.
I would take part with pleasure in more topics which I find very interesting, but often I don´t know the right english words for it. :brickwall:

TimothyBFan
04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Once again, I am in awe of your talent for these things Nancy. Your All About Us was written absolutely perfect!!

I probably can't say anything that others haven't already--but you all know me and know I will try anyways!

I have only been a member about a year now (seems much longer--probably to all of you also :hilarious:) but have enjoyed it long before that--I was one of those lurkers and regret that I hadn't joined earlier. As you guys know, I have been one of those forever fans, thought I knew everything but have been proven wrong many a time with new info that is found on one of the sights! This site, by far, is the best fansite out there, not only for the Eagles but I would wager bets, for any band! Nancy's love and dedication shines thru in every aspect of this group of sites!

I'm with all of you in that I can't imagine not coming to this site almost on a daily basis. I literally go thru withdraw symptoms and can't wait to check in again if not given a chance to for a day or 2. I have forged several onlines friendships thru it which I never would have imagined a few years ago. I truly love everyone here and look forward to a possible chance of meeting all of you face to face one day at the "official Border party" that the Eagles will be compelled to play SOMEDAY!!!

Nancy--you know how I feel about you~~ not only are you our fearless leader but you have become a very dear friend and for that I will always be thankful that I stumbled upon this site a couple years ago and eventually got up the nerve to sign up even tho I knew little about joining a message board. I have felt welcome from the first post.

Thank you!

Prettymaid
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for laying it all out like that Nancy. It answered all of my questions. Knowing very little about computers and the internet, I am blown away at your tactical ability to build sites, add high quality pictures, recordings and information to them and then sustain them the way that you do. Your love of the Eagles shows through every word, every image. And thanks to everyone who has pitched in to make these sites what they are today.

I had a very vague love of Eagles music ever since I heard their first hit on the radio back in the seventies. I am also a huge Beatles fan and got to see Paul in 2002, realizing that it was something I wanted to do 'before I die' (this was long before the movie The Bucket List came out). As time went by, I realized that the only other band I had that feeling about was the Eagles. After all, their music was a part of my generation and they were now back together! We bought HFO and F1 and that confirmed my plan to see them live someday.

In July of 2008 Hubby and I saw a televised ad for a Carrie Underwood show at the University of Illinois. The opener was going to be Little Big Town. We're not really Carrie Underwood fans but we had seen the Crossroads episode with Lindsey Buckingham and Little Big Town and I thought we might enjoy seeing them. I got on TicketMaster to look for tickets and lo and behold I saw that the Eagles were going to be in Chicago September 24 and 25! Needless to say, I forgot all about the other show and concentrated on purchasing tickets to the Eagles, which I did in July.

After purchasing our tickets I began perusing the internet for reviews of their shows and shortly found myself here. I joined on August 1, 2008 and although sometimes it feels like a guilty pleasure ( I probably spend more time here than I should! ;-) ), I cannot stay away. I feel as though I know most of you already, and if we had a chance to meet the conversation would flow so easily because of the bond we've formed here. Poor Hubby - I talk more about you guys to him than other friends, family and coworkers!

sodascouts
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks again, everyone. And thank you for sharing how you found this place, too, since basically the members are what make it what it is. :grouphug:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow - thanks everyone – this is quite a lovefest going on here! :wink: I am also glad to see that Nancy posted our brief history here. I, for one, always like to know this kind of stuff, and figured some others may be interested as well. I just want to echo much of what others have said here. First of all, I agree that we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Nancy for her devotion and tireless efforts to make all of these sites the very best that they can be. I am proud to have had the opportunity to be a small part of it. As most of you here, I am a devoted Eagles fan, and I love the fact that we have been able to create a friendly, informative community where people from around the globe can come to have a good time and share their fandom for this band. As Nancy said, that has been our focus from the beginning, and I think it is a testament to everyone involved here that we have never lost sight of our mission. Although the Eagles are the reason we are all here, the friendships forged in a community such as this are definitely a huge fringe benefit. While the admin, webmistresses, and moderators set the guidelines and tone and provide information for the sites, it is always our members who are the most important contributors. You all are what truly makes this place the wonderful community it is – so I say a huge :yay: for everyone. I will always cherish both the online and in person friendships that I have formed as a result of my participation here. :grouphug:

Brooke
04-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I just have a minute to add my thoughts here and don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said, but add me to the list of Border Lovers. This is such a wonderful place to learn all about the greatest American band EVER. And to be able to share that fandom with all you guys here, well, it's just great. I cannot even imagine all the time that you, Nancy, have put in to this board and all of the EOC sites. And to everyone that has helped, you guys rock! :thumbsup:

Ever since I came here, it's been nothing but fun and enlightening. I have only met a couple of you in person, but I feel like all of you are my dear friends and that I've known you forever. I feel very deprived if I have to miss a day and can't wait to get here and catch up with everyone.

So, what's it all about? Love for the Eagles-The Heart Of The Matter.

Peekaboo
04-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Well said, everybody. I definitely feel like i'm apart of a great group of friends here. I was just an observer at first till I went to my first Eagles concert on Sept. 6, 2008. I remember being so excited to finally join in on the conversations and share my concert experience. In the beginning I never would've thought that, when i'm away for more than a day, I would be so anxious to get back to my computor to check out the latest posts. A big Thank You to Nancy and all those that have taken part in making this message board come to life. I couldn't imagine a better group of people to share my love of the Eagles with. You are all great!!:thumbsup: :grouphug:

sodascouts
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Again, you make this site what it is!

melrose
04-10-2009, 01:36 AM
I know I haven't been here very long, but I wanted to throw in my two cents worth. Soda, you and everyone else that has contributed to making these sites available have done a top notch job. It is amazing to learn that all of Eagles Online Central happened in such a short amount of time. It almost seems impossible. I applaud everyone involved! I also want to add that I've been on a few forums before this, and, although great, they simply do not offer the same welcoming environment and friendly people that you find here! Great job, guys! :thumbsup:

EagleLady
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I wanted to get in here and add my two cents, I love what Nancy has done to make this place what it is today, and I am thankful to have met such wonderful friends on the border

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2009, 03:47 AM
In the beginning I never would've thought that, when i'm away for more than a day, I would be so anxious to get back to my computor to check out the latest posts.

Thats exactly how I feel too Peekaboo! Nearly like I am missing out on something very important if I don't get my daily 'Border Fix'. Sometimes I even end up suffering withdrawal symptoms:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: