PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Desperado"

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
04-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Since our On the Border appreciation thread was such a hit, I figured we'd do one for Desperado now, to commemorate its release on April 17, 1973! Of course, to go along with this, we'll have the Desperado Style as the board default for the next week.

I know I'm in the minority, but I find Desperado to be their most consistently good album. I love every song on it. I love the way it tells a story. The album, as a whole, is more cohesive thematically then even Hotel California. They took a tired metaphor - "rockers as outlaws" - and breathed new life into it. While it suffered from the sophomore curse at the time of its release, it's held up well.

In the Desperado spirit, have some fun watching the Eagles play cowboy in the music video shown at the end of Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnF6Ga9dNCs

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Great Idea Nancy! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
04-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Great style for the board Soda! I was hit by it as soon as I logged in! Its fantastic. I must say, Desperado was the first 'proper' Eagles album that I bought (ie discounting the Greatest Hits compilations) and it has a lovely fresh sound to it!

TimothyBFan
04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Well that explains why the Desperado background popped up as soon as I brought up the Border this morning! I thought I was a wee bit crazy! (well probably am but...)

Thanks for posting the above video--can never see that to much!! Yum!!!!

Stars
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Nancy, the board looks wonderful!! Desperado is my favorite Eagles album-it's the one my hubby reviewed for our college newspaper, way back in 1973. I sure wish I still had a copy of that review-I'm sure it was a good one!:thumbsup:

ticky
04-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Actually, I gotta agree with you Nancy, Desperado is one of my favorite albums as well (despite the notable absence of ONE particular Eagle)
I'm learning the songs off the album on the guitar right now as well as reading up on the story behind the concept. I want to be able to play and sing the songs and tell the story around the camp fire this summer.

Great work on the desperado theme and the Video!!! As always, you've outdone yourself,Nancy! Bravo!

Brooke
04-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Funny. The first thing I did when I came here today was check the 'today in Eagles history' at the bottom of the page. I was still on the OTB style, so I changed it myself to the Desperado style in honor!

I wonder why mine wasn't automatically changed?

Anyways, methinks Glenn is at some of his hottest in this era! :inlove:

Koala
04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I love the DESPERADO album I like really every song from it.
Thanks for posting the video, I see it just to 3 times in succession!
As the Desperado background popped up, I thought whats this:headscratch:, than I read that today is the released Day from this album everything was clear!

sodascouts
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Funny. The first thing I did when I came here today was check the 'today in Eagles history' at the bottom of the page. I was still on the OTB style, so I changed it myself to the Desperado style in honor!

I wonder why mine wasn't automatically changed?

I didn't override user preferences, so if you had a special theme picked out, it didn't get changed. Just the default.

Love reading you guys' thoughts!

Freypower
04-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I was actually using 'default' for a change and I guessed that it must be Desperado anniversary time. This is such a good idea. It would be good if we could also do this for any solo albums where we know the release date (obviously without changing the board style).

Regarding the Desperado album it does have an almost Shakespearean feel to it, something which endeared me to it immediately. It perhaps is more successful at the beginning when the rock star/outlaw is starting his career and still feels young and exuberant.

I know that the title track is a standard but I've heard it so often that it hasn't aged as well as it should have. I know it sums up the album's themes perfectly, but really so does Certain Kind Of Fool, a song which is totally underrated and right up there with Meisner's best work. The same goes for Bitter Creek, which is great until it rather tapers off with all the 'doo doo' stuff.

I suppose for me I have to go for the 'I am an outlaw' stuff which should surprise nobody. Outlaw Man and Out Of Control are both superb rockers. Perhaps Out Of Control tries a bit too hard but it is hard to argue with it (or the narrator....:rockon: I believe there is a slight autographical feel to it). As for Tequila Sunrise, there is not much left to say about it. The song is a quiet masterpiece.

I have not mentioned Saturday Night, which I have to be in the right mood to appreciate fully. I know why its there but I'm not that fond of it. The same goes for Twenty-One which is dispensable. That leaves Doolin-Dalton and its Reprise, both superb songs. I think I could have done a lot better explaining why the album works.

sodascouts
04-18-2009, 01:42 AM
And to continue the theme - the single Tequila Sunrise was released on this day in 1973.

Check out this single cover! Love Glenn's expression, lol.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/calendar/tequilasunrise.jpg

sodascouts
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I was watching the Desperado Under the Covers segment when I was making my avatar and it struck me that they seem really proud of this album, to this day.

Glenn: "It's been a record, and a concept, that's withstood the test of time and it's gotten better as the years have gone on, as a whole piece. It's now a well-recognized concept album."

Troubadour
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Desperado is one of my favourite Eagles albums. I love the Wild West theme, and I like the fact that it's youthful and energetic (Twenty One, Out Of Control), while still carrying many of the darker themes that have permeated Eagles records since (Saturday Night, Desperado, Doolin Dalton.) There is not a song I dislike. I still marvel at the fact that Glenn and Don wrote a song like Desperado at such a young age.

Thanks for posting the Tequila Sunrise cover, Soda. Glenn is smokin'! Randy's expression cracks me up.

The Kirshner vid was a treat, too. I can't get enough of that show. Don in that shirt with that 'fro... Such a cutie!

melrose
04-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Desperado is one of my favorite Eagles albums; there isn't a song on it that I dislike. It was a major accomplishment for them. This was a huge accomplishment for them, methinks.

I wish I had more time right now to write out my views on the different songs but hopefully later. I love hearing everyone's different opinions on the album.

Troubadour
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Just noticed that your av is animated, Soda. (My internet was playing up a little while ago and the picture didn't move.) WOW! It looks fantastic.

anne-o-gg
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I, too, like your avi soda!

Now, for my philosophical (sp?) side, concerning troub's comment about Glenn and Don writing Desperado, I believe there are people we are supposed to be connected to in life - based on our God given destiny's. It can not be a coincidence that these guys are together...I'm not talking about fate...I think they were destined to work together...jmho...

sodascouts
04-19-2009, 09:04 PM
The segment below is where I got both the avatar footage and the Glenn quote. Great behind-the-scenes stuff! Glenn especially looks GOOD. It's from the Under the Covers documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt5kAgVnrx4

eaglesvet
04-21-2009, 05:12 AM
GOOD is not the word for Glenn the narrator of the video...that is his BEST EVER look, IMHO!!:heart::heart::inlove::faint: No comparison to Glenn the cowboy look, for me, anyway...

I LOVE Jackson Browne's acting in the film...he know how to take a hit! And HE looks extra-hot with that smile at the end of his dying scene :hilarious:!

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm with you, EV. My favorite time for Glenn was his look around the HFO era. He's devastatingly handsome in the video as narrator, and only very sexy as a cowboy. There is a gradation there. ;)

Check it out:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/Oil028.jpg

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyJulieUTC.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
04-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, real life has really limited my time on the board lately, so, sadly, I have been unable to give this thread its proper due. Desperado is my second favorite Eagles album. And as has been previously stated, even though it wasn't a huge commercial success, it is an outstanding piece of work. I've said before that at the time the album was released, it seemed to have an identity crisis - too rock for country and too country for rock. However, justice prevailed and time has been very kind to it. I love all the songs on the album, especially the Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise.

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, we've missed you, Dreamer!

I just listened to the album last night, beginning to end, unlike my usual iPod shuffle of Eagles tunes. It really works best as a piece. Loved it!

Brooke
04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm with you, EV. My favorite time for Glenn was his look around the HFO era. He's devastatingly handsome in the video as narrator, and only very sexy as a cowboy. There is a gradation there. ;)

Check it out:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Glenn/Oil028.jpg

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyJulieUTC.jpg

Oh man. "Only very sexy" as a cowboy, Soda? That first one there really gets my blood pumping! :inlove:

I finally got time to go back to the "Rank the six studio albums" thread and read what I wrote about this album. Doesn't surprise me!

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. The only song I don't love is Bitter Creek and I can listen to it without skipping it. Very favorite song overall is Desperado and I wish Don would sing it like he used to and not be so dramatic with it.

I still really love this album most of all. And Glenn and Don are at some of their hottest! Tequila Sunrise, Doolin' Dalton and the Reprise, Desperado, Out of Control, love them all.

Thanks for the DD/DR video Soda. I love it when Glenn sees the camera on him and shakes his head (and that lovely hair) while singing "Lay down your law books now, they're no damn good" with determination. Too funny! And the harmonica playing at the beginning. :sigh:

And in the video where Glenn narrates, loved the part where Glenn is telling about the powers that be not being happy they had made a "f'ing cowboy record!" :hilarious:

And Jackson really put his all in to his death act! :lol:

04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I decided to use the same scale that Scarlet Sun came up with in the On the Border appreciation thread to rate the songs on Desperado. As I said before, I don't think there is a bad song on entire album, so my ratings are very high overall.

1. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise - 5
2. Tequila Sunrise - 5
3. Out of Control - 5
4. Certain Kind Of Fool - 5
5. Doolin-Dalton - 5
6. Desperado - 5
7. Outlaw Man- 5
8. Bitter Creek - 4
9. Saturday Night - 4
10. Twenty-One - 4

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

Freypower
04-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Excellent idea, Dreamer.

1. Tequila Sunrise - 5
2. Out Of Control - 5
3. Outlaw Man - 5
4. Doolin-Dalton - 5
5. Desperado - 5
6. Certain Kind Of Fool - 4
7. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise - 4
8. Bitter Creek - 3
9. Twenty-One -3
10. Saturday Night - 3 (although I admit the last two border on the 2 rating).

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I was wondering which of the songs on Desperado the band has performed live. I looked down the list and I believe every song on this album has been played live by the band.

One other thing I was thinking about is how many different artists have covered the song Desperado? Here's a few I can think of right off the top of my head:

Linda Ronstadt
Johnny Rivers
Johnny Cash

I know there are many others, so please add any other artists that you can think of.

EagleLady
04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I really liked Clint Black's version of Desperado.

melrose
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I like this rating system idea, it is easier to put a number to the songs than try to explain how they make you feel. IMHO

In no particular order:

Doolin Dalton - 5
Out of Control - 5
Tequila Sunrise - 5
Bitter Creek - 5
Doolin Dalton/Desperado [reprise] - 5 I actually like the reprise better than both the songs :shrug:
Certain Kind of Fool - 5
Outlaw Man - 5
Saturday Night - 5 This one has grown on me quite a bit over the years.
Desperado - 5 This is a borderline 4 for me, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Over played and hasn't aged well. Nonetheless, still a great song.
Twenty One - 4

EagleLady
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't agree Melissa, I think Desperado is a beautiful song, and it has aged well, IMO.

sodascouts
04-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Not to spoil the fun of thinking of different cover versions of Desperado, but I actually have a list of 'em on GFO if you're curious!

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/coversindex.htm

(Scroll down to Desperado)

Troubadour
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, over-exposure to a song often dampens its impact - after a while, you stop listening to the lyrics and thinking about the meaning because it's so familiar. When I clear my mind and listen to Desperado with fresh ears, and think of it in the context of two young guys sitting down and coming up with this song... that's when it gets me. I know that Don isn't particularly satisfied with the original recording, as he felt rushed and nervous, but I think that makes it more endearing. In the same way that Out Of Control's raw, haphazard sound works, Don's Desperado vocals work because they're youthful and honest. It's nice that he's had the opportunity to 'perfect' it on stage in the years since, but I still think the original recording stands up there with the best live performances. This whole album is characterised by youth and a mixture of bravado and uncertainty. The themes apply as much to everyday people as they do to outlaws and rockstars. That's what makes it such a great album.

Also, just because it's been in my head all day, I feel the need to mention Saturday Night again! I like the simplicity of it, but I don't think it gets enough credit for its deeper meanings. When it gets to the "what a tangled web we weave" part, it steps up a notch, for me. I love the idea of wondering how to tell "the dancer from the dance". Is it the person you're in love with, or have you been swept up in the wave of courtship and ritual? (Obviously it can apply to many things, not just a person.) This is just idle conjecture, but I think "the dance" is important in Eagles' songs in general, whatever the dance is - the mood, the excitement, running with the same crowd, doing things that are fun but ultimately leave you alone or empty, getting caught up in the moment and going through the motions... I just love lyrics like this that hint to their later work. The fact that they wrote these songs when they were so young never fails to amaze me.

I'm also in the Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise fan club! There's just something different about it. Again, very specific lyrics that somehow turn into important universal themes.

04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I meant to comment on the Under the Covers DVD earlier. I love those interviews with Don and Glenn. My favorite lines are when Don says the only thing they had to do back then was think about writing songs - and girls. He says "and girls" as if it was an afterthought and has this cute little grin on his face. My favorite Glenn line is when they show him an old photo and he says something like "this is not history, it's evidence!" That line cracks me up every time.

Brooke
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, over-exposure to a song often dampens its impact - after a while, you stop listening to the lyrics and thinking about the meaning because it's so familiar. When I clear my mind and listen to Desperado with fresh ears, and think of it in the context of two young guys sitting down and coming up with this song... that's when it gets me. I know that Don isn't particularly satisfied with the original recording, as he felt rushed and nervous, but I think that makes it more endearing. In the same way that Out Of Control's raw, haphazard sound works, Don's Desperado vocals work because they're youthful and honest. It's nice that he's had the opportunity to 'perfect' it on stage in the years since, but I still think the original recording stands up there with the best live performances. This whole album is characterised by youth and a mixture of bravado and uncertainty. The themes apply as much to everyday people as they do to outlaws and rockstars. That's what makes it such a great album.

Also, just because it's been in my head all day, I feel the need to mention Saturday Night again! I like the simplicity of it, but I don't think it gets enough credit for its deeper meanings. When it gets to the "what a tangled web we weave" part, it steps up a notch, for me. I love the idea of wondering how to tell "the dancer from the dance". Is it the person you're in love with, or have you been swept up in the wave of courtship and ritual? (Obviously it can apply to many things, not just a person.) This is just idle conjecture, but I think "the dance" is important in Eagles' songs in general, whatever the dance is - the mood, the excitement, running with the same crowd, doing things that are fun but ultimately leave you alone or empty, getting caught up in the moment and going through the motions... I just love lyrics like this that hint to their later work. The fact that they wrote these songs when they were so young never fails to amaze me.

I'm also in the Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise fan club! There's just something different about it. Again, very specific lyrics that somehow turn into important universal themes.

Wow, Troub! You said it all perfectly. And I don't think it was idle conjecture at all. Really.

Edited to add: Tequila Sunrise started playing on the radio!

sodascouts
04-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Very eloquently stated, Troub!

sodascouts
04-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Desperado was released on this day in 1973. I've changed the default board style accordingly - it's our week to celebrate the Eagles' sophomore album and my personal favorite, Desperado!

Troubadour
04-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Happy Birthday, Desperado!

I think it is my favourite album, too. I love the theme, and there are some truly great songs on it. (I'm sure I will expand on that when I have a bit more time!)

I love the board style, and your avatar is SMOKIN', Soda. Who doesn't love our Eagles as gunslingers? :armed::drool:

sodascouts
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
The thing I love about Desperado is that (IMHO) there is not one weak song on the album. There are stronger individual songs in the Eagles catalog, but this album is the most consistently good - and the theme aspect really puts it over the top.

Here's a video for us to enjoy, to get into the spirit of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_XOh0IQ6ok

Freypower
04-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Are we going to do a Survivor for it, or is that not possible at the moment due to an upcoming Road Trip?

I have to say I'm becoming a real Desperado fan. I think on this album Randy and Bernie really shine - this is perhaps the most integrated 'group' album where all four members are equally showcased.

04-17-2010, 11:59 PM
First of all, Happy Anniversary to my 2nd favorite Eagles album. I agree with most of you that this album is a superb piece of work. There is not a single bad song on it, IMHO. I just shake my head now when I think about when it first came out. I liked it, but I didn't think it was as good as the 'Eagles' album at the time. I wasn't alone either because it wasn't as commercially successful. It wasn't until I purchased my Eagles box set about 5 years ago, and started listening to all of the albums again that I gained a brand new appreciation for the album.

And Soda, thanks for posting that YouTube video of my very favorite song from the album. To me, that is among the best of the best.

And FP, we decided not to do a Desperado Survivor game right now. It is too close to the On the Border game and we're going to have a lot going on in the next few weeks with the resumption of the LROOE tour. We'll get around to it some time though, I'm sure.

Brooke
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Ah yes, Desperado. 37 years ago? Impossible! This is my favorite album overall (as some of you have stated here), as I said back when we ranked the albums. I even had to change my av for the celebration! Love nearly every song on it.

And I think it's funny that someone (I think from the record company) said when they finished it up, something about "they made a f*&#@*#g cowboy record" or something to that effect! :lol: Well, cowboy record or not, it's wonderful! :nod:

sodascouts
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's the show that quote was from - Under the Covers - check it out, guys. They talk about the Desperado photo shoot and show footage from it. Glenn looks magnificent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hhKPNYKis

Troubadour
04-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, he does. He is such a cutie there, too!

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Another song from the album - 21!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXODfq4yDA0

Koala
04-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I'am late but Happy Anniversary DESPERADO!
It is one of my favorite albums and I hear it very often, there is simply not one weak song on this great album! I think Desperado is one of those albums where everything sounds right. I LOVE it!Soda, thanks for the videos, love Doolin Dalton!

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
You're not late, Koala. This whole week is Desperado week! :)

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
How hot is this performance??? Wild!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEM6bryMsc

GettheLeadonOut!!
04-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Happy birthday Desperado! This too is my favorite album because it plays up the strength of all four members talents. Not a bad cut on the whole thing. My favorite moment is the band's lush counter harmony vocals meeting up with Don's incredible lead vocal on Doolin Dalton> Desperado Reprise ("...maybe...tomorrow"). Gives me goosebumps every time.

I've wondered had they released the title cut as a single perhaps it would have fared better on the charts, but at the time the band was probably hesitant about putting out a ballad and were really trying to establish themselves as a rock band, hence they released Outlaw Man instead (Randy does some smoking basswork on this gem):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfsC8IO8SGI

sodascouts
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh my gosh, that is such a great bass solo! And how often do you have a song that features bass like that? LOVE it!

I actually have that whole concert available to stream here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimediafeaturedshowvideo.htm

I love how they talk about their then-new album Desperado during that show, and the charming moments like Bernie asking everyone to please come see them at Amsterdam the next night because apparently they were nervous about attendance. Guess they don't have to worry about that anymore!

Once they added Felder and Glenn didn't have to play as much guitar, he moved to the piano for Outlaw Man. Love this version from Seattle 1976, where Glenn pounds the heck out of that piano in addition to all that great guitar and bass from the other guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4R57StFIf8

Shadowland07
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
hope you guys don't mind that i added them on youtube lol.

04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I love watching all these videos - and, yeah, I know I've already seen them tons of times before, but I never get tired of them. I was posting in the Name That Eagles Tune thread a few minutes ago, and was thinking about the lyrics to my 2nd favorite song on this album, Tequila Sunrise. Soda and I were talking about this a while ago when I saw her lyrics on EOC. I always thought the last line of the song was "This old world still looks the same ... another friend" instead of "... another frame". Either way, it really doesn't significantly change the meaning of the line anyway. It boggles my mind that the first two songs that Don and Glenn ever wrote together, Desperado and Tequila Sunrise, both have such introspective lyrics. True greatness in the making!!! :thumbsup:

GettheLeadonOut!!
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I love watching all these videos - and, yeah, I know I've already seen them tons of times before, but I never get tired of them. I was posting in the Name That Eagles Tune thread a few minutes ago, and was thinking about the lyrics to my 2nd favorite song on this album, Tequila Sunrise. Soda and I were talking about this a while ago when I saw her lyrics on EOC. I always thought the last line of the song was "This old world still looks the same ... another friend" instead of "... another frame". Either way, it really doesn't significantly change the meaning of the line anyway. It boggles my mind that the first two songs that Don and Glenn ever wrote together, Desperado and Tequila Sunrise, both have such introspective lyrics. True greatness in the making!!! :thumbsup:

So true, two of their earliest collaborations and also two of their finest.

I also have to imagine that there must be a studio version somewhere in the vaults with the deleted lyric about going down to Mexico still intact that is just itching to be released. I've always liked that lyric as it ties in the whole theme of the album of desperados running from the law:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qIZTuez2k

Super Frey
04-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Happy Birthday Desperado!! :birthday:

Scarlet Sun
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
When I first heard "Tequila Sunrise's" extra verse, I immediately thought of the Byrds "Tulsa County" from their Ballad Of Easy Rider album.

04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
OMG - I hadn't watched that Tequila Sunrise clip for a long time so I had forgotten how incredibly smokin', freakin' HS&G Glenn is in it.

WARNING FREY FANS: Use extreme caution when viewing this video. This sucker could possibly melt your eyeballs!!! :shock: :shock:

Brooke
04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
:ack: OMG! That was gorgeous! I'd forgotten about it, too!

I love that last verse. I wonder why it was dropped?

At the very beginning, Don keeps looking over at Glenn and I can just hear him thinking "what's he doing singing so good?!" :laugh:

Freypower
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
He also does that in both the HFO and Christchurch versions of the songs - a great 'warm & fuzzy' moment. In the F1 version at the end he gives Glenn a big smile.

Koala
04-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks, OMG, what a great video, I've never seen it before!

Brooke
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
I've been listening to this album (cd) all week long and bits and pieces of the lyrics of several of the songs are stuck in my head now. This morning I was half awake when the alarm went off and Desperado was playing when it did. I had to lay there for a few seconds to decide whether that was in my mind or the actual radio! I thought OMG!

And ya know, I don't know if I've ever heard Desperado play on the radio before!

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Well, Desperado week is over, but I had to post these last two songs at the last minute here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jYtZo5Z5ic

In this next video, Glenn expands upon the concept of the Desperado album they "just got done doing" including his wisdom that, like robbing banks, the guys can't play rock'n'roll for very long and get away with it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKrSlGqdiY

sodascouts
04-24-2010, 12:23 AM
And transitioning into Hell Freezes Over weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JimfjLOkBg8

04-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all those great videos, Soda. Just love Glenn's intro in the "Saturday Night" video. He is so articulate in describing how they "just got done doing it" :lol: That clip is from the 1973 Holland show. Also though I'd mention that Soda has this entire show available for download on the EOC site. It is definitely worth watching if you've never seen it, and features a rare early performance of "How Long". Here is the link if for anyone that wants to take a look ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimediafeaturedshowvideo.htm

sodascouts
04-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Once again, happy birthday to my favorite Eagles album!

04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
HAPPY 38th ANNIVERSARY …

DESPERADO!!!

Such a wonderful and magnificent concept album that has grown better with time. Since there has been so much discussion on the board recently about whether or not Desperado is a country album or rock and roll album, I thought I would mention it in this thread as well. As I’ve said before, while it may sound more country by today’s standards, it was a ground-breaking sound at the time the album was recorded and was definitely not considered country. I believe this is really where the Eagles made their mark. They have influenced so many wannabe artists with their unique blend of sounds. So much so, that today’s modern country music sounds pretty much just like what the Eagles did back in the 70’s with their early work, especially Desperado.

As I’ve said many times, Desperado is my second favorite Eagles album, and the one that epitomizes the country rock sound, IMO. Like many, the rockier Hotel California is my very favorite. I’m one of those people that likes some of all kinds of music. While pure country and bluegrass music are far from my favorites, I don’t hate them. On the rock side, I am not a fan of heavy metal or acid rock. So, I guess it makes sense that the blend of country and rock showcased on this album is the sound that appeals to me most.

And BTW, Soda - love your Desperado avatar and banner!

sodascouts
04-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Dreamer! I've had some fun gazing at them too. ;)

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
This is a fun segment from Under the Covers about the Desperado photo album / video shoot. Lots of behind-the-scenes footage. I know it has been posted before but what better time to bring it forward, eh? Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcTTdwv1Xp4

sodascouts
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd also like to bring forward the video of Saturday Night from 1973 (which sadly just recently left Desperado Survivor Island). Glenn introduces it by talking about the then-new Desperado album's concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwKrSlGqdiY&feature=player_embedded

tequila girl
04-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I Love Saturday Night - so much!....from Bernie's Mandolin and Don's vocals, I can't believe it's been voted out so soon :-?
It must surely remind everyone of "times gone by" .....it does me!

GlennLover
04-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I love Saturday Night too! Love the harmonies!

04-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for those videos, Soda. Always love watching them!

I thought I’d make a few more comments about the Desperado album as the celebration week winds down. In that Under the Covers interview, Glenn described the album as a rock opera. If you have any doubt about whether the album was considered country back in the 70’s, all you have to do is ask some of the more traditional country music purists. This was actually quite a controversial topic back then – the two sides were pretty much in a war of words with one another. The Eagles didn’t want to be labeled as country and the country music industry didn’t claim them either.

Here’s what Marc Eliot has to say about this in his book, To the Limit. In the section about the recording and album cover shoot for Desperado, he writes:

No matter how great it (the album) may have looked, sounded, and felt to those there, the public didn't buy it. Nor did the critics, who for the most part seemed to underscore what Henley, Frey and Meisner had feared from the beginning, that (Glyn) Johns's production of Desperado sounded too country for rock and too rock for country. The album's commercial failure helped clarify and intensify the ongoing conflict of style between the band and its producer. What Henley and Frey had instinctively known all along, what had identified and united them as rock and roll songwriters, was their shared sense of the idealism of youth, the passion, hopes, dreams, and desires of first loves, and the illusion that everyone will stay together and remain forever young. Country, on the other hand, was all about disillusionment, the failure of all those hopes and dreams, the bitterness of losing those desires, the inevitability of growing old. This was the reason rock stars had to stay youthful to remain relevant, while country stars' presence improved with age. And, thematically and aurally, the reason the album failed as an artistic statement. Predictably, it was seen by rock radio programmers as too heavily tilted toward country, and all but completely ignored by country music radio stations.

I actually find this very interesting. Although there is much more of a mutual embracement of our guys and the country music community these days, that was most definitely not always the case. Even now, there is still a split between the old and new country music establishment about whether or not the Eagles should be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. I hope that eventually they will be inducted since their influence is undeniable. When that happens, I guess that’s when we’ll know for sure that the times, they are a'changin'! :wink:

MikeA
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Interesting.

I'd really never associated any "age factor" with Rock or Country. But after thinking about it, it does seem to be true.

Back then though, Country was Grand Ole Opry and that style of country music. There were a bunch of Country Rebels out there trying to bring more youth and rock to Country music and they were sort of Blackballed out of Nashville and if you weren't part of that family as a Country Musician, you were in pretty bad shape.

But folks like Willy, Waylon, Hank Jr. and a few others kind of made it backfire to an extent in Texas. Eventually Country became more receptive to the Rock influence but they to this day STILL maintain a group of musicians who carry on the old original Country Style.

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Two more videos for the fallen up to this point in Desperado Survivor:

The first casualty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRgfEKGypTQ

The latest to fall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jYtZo5Z5ic

Judy
04-23-2011, 11:38 PM
God bless Don Kirschner and Wolfman Jack! I loved the Midnight Special, too. I was so impressed when they did Doolin' Dalton on DK.

sodascouts
04-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Yes, I love that! It was a music video pre-music videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_XOh0IQ6ok

Judy
04-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks Soda! It's been a long time since I've seen that. I love the way Bernie dies and then Glenn looks around, then runs.

I love your avatar. I'll have to learn how to do that stuff after spring semester. You all are creative around here.

sodascouts
04-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks, Judy! I got it from the Desperado sequence in Under the Covers.

There are some Don animated avatars you can use if you like: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1640

Koala
04-24-2011, 01:38 AM
awww,love those videos! Thanks

MikeA
04-24-2011, 07:07 AM
At 2:25 in Twenty-One you can see Felder accompanying on mandolin!

BBKron
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I realize I'm a bit late to this discussion/celebration of the album Desperado, but I'm new here, and feel that I just have to add something, late or not, because Desperado is not only my favorite Eagles album, by far, but one of my favorite albums of all-time (this is one of those desert island discs, that I would most want to have with me always). I'll try to keep it brief here, although I could talk about this album all day, as much has already been said in praise of it.
I do think this is one of the best albums, start to finish, ever made, and one of the greatest achievements in rock music. It also stands as one of the best 'concept' albums ever. It is true and consistent to its concept, telling it's story from start to finish with remarkable sonic and narrative floursishes. It contains some of the Eagles greatest songs (Desperado, Bitter Creek, Tequila Sunrise, Doolin-Dalton, Twenty-One, etc), but the way that the songs have wildly different styles, yet all fit together so well to tell the story is what is most amazing. To think that his was the Eagles poorest selling (and charting) album is just outrageous. Although I certainly understand the very real (although now seemingly so silly) 'country' vs. 'rock' obstacles that it had to overcome (and the Eagles were still much more successful than most other bands tagged with a similar 'country-rock' label, such as Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, SHF, Manassas, etc.), it is still inconceivable that this would not have been recognized as the masterpiece it is, right from the start. It certainly contained both harder-rocking songs (like Outlaw Man, Out of Control) and more outright 'country' songs (Twenty-One, Saturday Night) than their debut album, but the greatness of the album was apparent throughout, regardless of genre. I was there at the time, and I know it was an immediate sensation with me.
I know that even here at this forum, the majority opinion appears to be that the later Eagles, and particularly Hotel California, was their best. But for me, as much as I still like everything that the Eagles have done since, the best lineup was the original quartet, and Desperado was their masterpiece. Although certainly their replacements were top-notch, the eagles still lost something magical (particularly the versatility of Bernie Leadon) when Bernie Leadon, and later Randy Meisner left the group.

And for those that claim Hotel California as the Eagles best and true masterpiece, all I can say is that, in essence, Hotel California is a virtual remake of Desperado, recycling all the same themes and concepts (with song-for-song parallels) that wre brought out in Desperado, just with the wild west background, and country music influence replaced with modern American (and California) culture, and straight-up rock music. It's still a great album, but Desperado was more original, did it first and better.

Long Live Desperado!

Freypower
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
And for those that claim Hotel California as the Eagles best and true masterpiece, all I can say is that, in essence, Hotel California is a virtual remake of Desperado, recycling all the same themes and concepts (with song-for-song parallels) that wre brought out in Desperado, just with the wild west background, and country music influence replaced with modern American (and California) culture, and straight-up rock music. It's still a great album, but Desperado was more original, did it first and better.

Long Live Desperado!

You make some interesting comments. However I disagree that Hotel California is a 'virtual remake' of Desperado. Desperado specifically references the Doolin-Dalton gang. The palette of the HC album is far wider.

I tried to come up with parallels for each song & I just couldn't. Perhaps you could enlighten us. At a guess Out Of Contol might be parallel with Life In The Fast Lane & Certain Kind Of Fool might be parallel with New Kid In Town. After that I think you're stretching it. There is nothing on Desperado which has anywhere near the conceptual scope of either Hotel California or The Last Resort. On the other hand I don't see any equivalent of the title track of Desperado on the HC album (and no, not Wasted Time just because it is a Henley dominated piano ballad)!

MikeA
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know about the parallels between songs the two albums. I honestly had never thought about that aspect and haven't gone back in and listened to them with that in mind.

I DEARLY LOVE "Hotel California" and "Desperado".

But as far as "concept", "Desperado" was written with the specific goal of producing an album in which each song represented a portion of a "story" and in total, they gave a description of not only the history of the Doolin/Dalton Gang from rise to demise, but also some personal insight into the characters that made up the legend (or reality actually).

I don't believe that the Eagles composed the entire Hotel California album with describing the futility of the pursuit of Life In The Fast Lane in Southern California as being a "theme" or "concept" . I certainly never came away from listening to that album with the conviction that I'd just been informed of some event or condition that had or is taking place. Certainly there are songs there that would describe that (definitely the song Hotel California and LITFL and possibly even Joe's song Pretty Maids) but my point was that they didn't produce HC as a "concept album".

Last Resort was more a statement about what Don Henley perceived and I suppose it can be taken a lot of ways, but I get from it the Waste of resources and the gullibility of humanity, particularly the latter.

Wasted Time, Victim Of Love, Try And Love Again, and New Kid In Town are all "busted love" songs....not about Southern California specifically. Those songs were not "geographic" at all.

What I'm trying to say and not doing a very good job of it, is that Hotel California really can't be said to be a "conceptual album" in the sense that "Desperado" was even though it did have a couple of songs on it that could and almost certainly be "conceptual" about life in Southern California.

I'll go on to say that without ANY reservations, I think that "Desperado" was the Crown Jewel of the Early line-up of the Eagles and that "Hotel California" was the Crown Jewel of the later rock-oriented incarnation of the Eagles.

I would have an impossible time of choosing which one to unconditionally proclaim as my favorite. But by that same token, I can also say that those two phenomenal works of art are far and away better than anything else they have done.

And I further go along with BBK in stating my inability to understand why "Desperado" didn't sell better than it did there at the first. The only rationalization I can come up with is that it was (1) Country-Rock which was a rather new genre and hadn't drawn in masses of converts yet and (2) it was a theme based album with only a couple of songs that stood alone enough to be played on radio.

BBKron
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to stir up controversy here, but to me the parallels are quite apparent and consistent throughout, and almost certainly, quite intentional. In fact, I am surprised this topic hasn't been discussed in these forums before, as these are the Eagles' two most famous and acclaimed works, and, although the music itself is quite different between them, the concepts and themes are very much the same.

And yes, I would love to go through this song-by song, and will when I have the chance (I don't have the time right now, as I am writing this 'at work', and can't take too much time). But just let me say first, to mikeA and Freypower, thanks for your comments, but I would contend that you are looking at both albums far too literally. To suggest that Desperado is simply about the old west and the rise and fall of the Doolin-Dalton gang is missing all the deeper significance of everything it represents. Yes, this is the framework that Henley and Frey used to tell their story, a story that is much more personal and universal than the actual saga of western outlaws. Same with Hotel California, it is far more than about California or any 'geographic area'.

Both albums deal with the rise and fall of the American Dream, or perhaps even beyond America to the whole world. They also deal with the dark side of the american dream, materialism and decadence, and the ultimate destruction of the lives involved when things go wrong. the main difference between the two albums (thematically, that is), is that Desperado is told on a very personal level, dealing with personal decisions, regrets, triumphs and loss. The development of a young man attracted and seduced by the romanticized notions and potential rewards of being a famous outlaw, at the cost of everything else in his life (love, friends, etc.), and the ultimate tragic consequences of all those decisions. Hotel California takes these same themes even further, elevating the stage to a grander level, more to the societal level of America and the world (the dark underbelly of the American dream, decline of into materialism and decadence, etc.). Just as Desperado culminates these concepts (on a personal level) with the album ending Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise, HC culminates with the Last Resort, a more epic presentation of the demise of society and the destruction of paradises, but still very similar themes, just on a grander scale.
BTW, MikeA, Hotel California is very much a concept album, through and through, and it was intended to be. I am quite astonished that anyone here (that is, serious Eagles fans) would not have realized that. Henley himself, in an interview with Dutch magazine ZigZag in 1976 said about HC, "This is a concept album, there's no way to hide it, but it's not set in the old West, the cowboy thing, you know. It's more urban this time." In the same interview, he also said they were making a "statement using California (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/wiki/California) as a microcosm of the whole United States, or the whole world, if you will, and to try to wake people up..." About the song HC, Henley said "It's basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American Dream, and about excess in America, which was something we knew about."

OK, I've gone on far too long already, but, anyway, you get the idea. It's on these deeper meaning levels that the themes are very much the same throughout both albums, not on the setting, or structural framework. If I get some time in the next couple days, I'll go through the songs themselves to show the parallels. Perhaps with these concepts and themes in mind, you can discover some new aspects to the music next time you listen to these albums. or at least something to think about. Gotta go.

BBKron
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
One last thing that I forgot to include in my previous post. Although the themes I described occurring throughout Desperado and Hotel California certainly sound very negative and depressing, I don't look at either work themselves as being depressing. Quite the contrary, they can be very uplifting. The 'messages' of these albums were meant to be warnings, lessons to be learned, for individuals, as well as society. For Desperado, 'Don't let this happen to you', Stop, make the right (or at least better) decisions. Don't end up like this, full of regret, etc. For, HC, It's more like 'Don't let this happen to US, Let's not be like this, let's make changes for a better society, etc.' They are intended to be 'wake-up calls' to people and society. Thus, we can follow these stories, feel for what the characters are going through, and use that to determine how to not make the same mistakes in our lives, or to somehow better ours. Neither album is what anyone would call 'cheery', they are quite downbeat, but overall, I think both make very positive contributions towards people's attitudes and lives. Anyway, just wanted to add that, as it may have seemed that I thought the albums were depressing, when they really are not. They are cautionary tales.

Anyway, I think part of the reason these albums have become so iconic is because of this depth of vision beyond just the superficial setting of the song, or the 'radio-friendly' sound. These albums and song cycles are not only musically-satisfying, but have these deeper levels of meaning and broader significance that make the whole album just that much more special than a collection of miscellaneous songs. These broader themes and concepts lift the overall album into another level of meaning and importance.
Thanks for the opportunity to express myself about this.

MikeA
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
BTW, MikeA, Hotel California is very much a concept album, through and through, and it was intended to be. I am quite astonished that anyone here (that is, serious Eagles fans) would not have realized that. Henley himself, in an interview with Dutch magazine ZigZag in 1976 said about HC, "This is a concept album, there's no way to hide it, but it's not set in the old West, the cowboy thing, you know. It's more urban this time." In the same interview, he also said they were making a "statement using California as a microcosm of the whole United States, or the whole world, if you will, and to try to wake people up..." About the song HC, Henley said "It's basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American Dream, and about excess in America, which was something we knew about."

First off, with "Desperado," I could (and DID) listen to it and KNEW then as I KNOW NOW that it was a concept album. I really didn't need to be told in order to recognize it as being such. It does indeed tell a story about a notoriously bloody gang. You can get from the lyrics of the songs the connection between the nature of the gang and the individuals who made up that gang...some insights into the personalities of the individuals. It all fits together and does point out character flaws that in some cases "relate" to the people listening to the work.

It is/was Brilliant in that the Eagles could take that theme and present it in a way that most people could privately if not publicly, admit that some of the same thoughts and concerns could apply to them. But it was done in a contained theme set in the Old West where lawlessness was even less under control than it is today.

Regardless as to what Henley says about Hotel California, it does not meet that criteria in the same whole-hog "concept" definition as does "Desperado". Not on the surface anyway in the way Desperado did/does.

Yes, it does have songs on it (namely HC and LITFL whose meanings are pretty obvious) that describe the debauchery and indulgence that was and is a blight on society...something to be avoided...a warning. Pretty Maids presents a retrospective attitudes describing the way in which lot of people live in the past (or want to live in the past) rather than face the problems of today and move forward.

But the rest of the songs on the album with the exception of "Last Resort" were songs of broken relationships. Only if I accept the fact that the artists were labeling them as decadence and therefore something to avoid in order to straighten out society, can I see them fitting in with the concept of the Eagles diagnosis of a failing social structure.

If they were truly intended as such by the Eagles, then I'd have to give them a failing mark for presentation. Not that Hotel California and all of the songs on that album were anything short of GREAT. I don't mean that. I'm talking strictly of any great statement on Society or Culture with the intent of them tying together enough to be declared as parts of a work intended to be "Conceptual" as a whole.

I think an artist has a responsibility to those who try to appreciate their art. If they paint a picture of a "horse", that is the way they should expect it to be perceived. They should not expect those viewing it to grasp the concept that the picture was really one of a "duck" who wanted to be a horse.

It is the responsibility of the artist to present their concepts in a language that their viewers (or listeners) can comprehend and in doing so, comprehend the concept that the artist was representing.

Now, if I'm "comprehending" the concept of the entirety of the album "Hotel California" I'm going to see it as a critique placing failed relationships on a level higher than the bad caused by the valid concerns expressed in the song HC and LITFL augmented by the concerns expressed in Last Resort. Somehow, I don't think that the Eagles intended that to be the concept they wished to express if indeed the album was intended as a Concept Album.

But if indeed that was their intention, then the only way I would have "gotten" most of the Social Commentary was by Henley telling me so and then listening to abstract interpretations of the lyrics that the songs consisted of (excluding HC, LITFL and LR). If that was the intent, I'd say it was not their best effort.

But thankfully, the songs stood on their own merit individually and didn't need to be explained in vane of being Conceptual or Theme Based. It is not at all obvious to me that it was a Concept Album.

EaglesKiwi
05-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Possibly the songs about broken relationships work with the "concept" if we considered the concept as being searching for what you think you wanted - but then finding out it's not what you want after all... ??:nahnah:

I agree with you Mike, that all these songs stand on their own merits and if HC is going to be considered a "Conceptual" or theme album then it's a fairly broad concept!

sodascouts
04-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Desperado was released on this day in 1973. It's time once again for us to celebrate Desperado Week! Woot! (It's my fave Eagles album).

I'm putting the CD in the car today. There's not one stinker on this album, IMHO.

whitcap
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Happy 39th anniversary Desperado! This is one of my favorite albums.

Brooke
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Ah ha! Time for an av change!

SteveJoburg
04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Got home from work, logged in and went Hey??? Seriously dig the Desperado theme on the board.

And the album, of course, is a modern classic...

Windeagle
04-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Love this album!

Brooke
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
It's still my overall favorite Eagles album! I love it!

And the powers that be back in the day never thought it would make it. I guess it wasn't their best selling album, but it stood the test of time. IMO anyways!

Topkat
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to DESPERADO! Wow 39 years! Sheeh, I'm old.
Although this is not one of my favorite Eagles albums, the song still holds it's place as the final song at almost every Eagles concert! It's a classic!

zeldabjr
04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Happy 39th Anniversary "Desperado"...I am ashamed to admit this here, but I do not own this...I will have to do something about this... and fast!

sodascouts
04-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Got home from work, logged in and went Hey??? Seriously dig the Desperado theme on the board.

Thanks, Steve! We do this kind of thing for all the album anniversaries.

Happy 39th Anniversary "Desperado"...I am ashamed to admit this here, but I do not own this...I will have to do something about this... and fast!

Zelda - order your copy today! You will love it!

zeldabjr
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM

I just ordered it!

Tori
04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Happy Anniversary, Desperado!

I got the full album on my iPod only about half a year ago, since I hadn't actually heard every song... but it was a good buy, because it's an awesome album!

zeldabjr
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM

I got the full album on my iPod only about half a year ago, since I hadn't actually heard every song... but it was a good buy, because it's an awesome album!

My age is showing...I just ordered the CD... I could have gotten it on my iPod and been listening to it right now...I always think CD first and not iPod...

Zelda

VAisForEagleLovers
04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Ha, Zelda, I was reading this thread and thinking about when I threw away the 8-track tape I had of it.

zeldabjr
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Ha, Zelda, I was reading this thread and thinking about when I threw away the 8-track tape I had of it.

I almost choked on my dinner laughing so hard when I read this!

z

GlennLover
04-17-2012, 07:44 PM
I go the CD route too! :laugh: As soon as I saw that it was Desperado's anniversary I put the CD in the player right away to listen. I play it often. It's one of my faves!

04-17-2012, 10:12 PM
HAPPY 39th ANNIVERSARY 'DESPERADO'!!!

This is my 2nd favorite Eagles album next to Hotel California. As has been said, not a weak track on the album, IMHO.

Okay, it's been several months since we've done this, so I'm going to recap how this works for those folks who may be new to this.

This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. If there are 10 songs on the album, I’ll assign a point value of 10 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 9 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 10 points
Song 2 – 9 points
Song 3 – 8 points
Song 4 – 7 points
Song 5 – 6 points
Song 6 – 5 points
Song 7 – 4 points
Song 8 – 3 points
Song 9 – 2 points
Song 10 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 8 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 6 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 5 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 19 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 10 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 7 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 9 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 26 points. Of course, if the album has 12 songs, then Song 1 receives 12 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for the Desperado album are as follows:

Doolin-Dalton
Twenty-One
Out of Control
Tequila Sunrise
Desperado
Certain Kind of Fool
Outlaw Man
Saturday Night
Bitter Creek
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

Freypower
04-17-2012, 10:16 PM
My ranking is as follows:

Tequila Sunrise
Outlaw Man
Out Of Control
Doolin-Dalton
Certain Kind Of Fool
Desperado
Bitter Creek
Saturday Night
Twenty-One

04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Okay - I'll get this party started. Here is my list ...

1. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
2. Tequila Sunrise
3. Out of Control
4. Certain Kind Of Fool
5. Doolin-Dalton
6. Desperado
7. Outlaw Man
8. Bitter Creek
9. Saturday Night
10. Twenty-One

Freypower
04-17-2012, 10:18 PM
See my post just prior to yours, Dreamer.

UK TimFan
04-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Whenever we play 'list your favourites' I usually have terrible problems choosing my list order (and then I end up forgetting to do it :grin:) but this is one I'm determined to do. It's also the easiest one for me to do.

1. Bitter Creek
2. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
3. Outlaw Man
4. Doolin-Dalton
5. Desperado
6. Tequila Sunrise
7. Saturday Night
8 .Twenty-One
9. Certain Kind Of Fool
10. Out of Control

Koala
04-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Ok, here is my list :

Tequila Sunrise
Desperado
Doolin-Dalton
Outlaw Man
Saturday Night
Out Of Control
Certain Kind Of Fool
Bitter Creek
Twenty-One

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 01:26 AM
As we celebrate, enjoy this video!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1320592rNB4Zpnt?h1=Eagles+-+Doolin-Dalton%2FDesperado

WalshFan88
04-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Happy Anniversary to Desperado!

Although known as being my least favorite Eagles album - I give it it's kudos for being the Eagles country version of the "Hotel California" album and for lasting.. I still prefer On The Border as far as the "country rock/pre-classic rock Walsh era" album of the Eagles as it just is more upbeat and rockin' but I do like a couple songs from this album, namely "Out Of Control" and "Desperado".

So, that said, here's my favorite from the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdxE7BmQMZ8

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 01:50 AM
I love this album so much that it's hard to pick favorites, but here goes:

1. Out of Control
2. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
3. Tequila Sunrise
4. Desperado
5. Doolin-Dalton
6. Outlaw Man
7. Saturday Night
8. Bitter Creek
9. Twenty-one
10. Certain Kind of Fool

EaglesKiwi
04-18-2012, 04:39 AM
As we celebrate, enjoy this video!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1320592rNB4Zpnt?h1=Eagles+-+Doolin-Dalton%2FDesperado
Oh, WOW and thank you Soda!!

I'd never seen this one before - and Glenn is so passionate and he just looks so HOT!!! :jawdrop::fainting:

Windeagle
04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Desperado is my favorite of all the studio albums. I love the story and the music and generally listen to it all the way through, when I have the time. For those of you who have never heard it, don't shuffle, at least not the first time. It was meant to be listened to in order.

Here is my list:

Doolin-Dalton
Outlaw Man
Bitter Creek
Out of Control
Saturday Night
Tequila Sunrise
Desperado
Certain Kind Of Fool
Twenty-One

There is not a bad song on this album. The last ones are only last because something had to be!

Brooke
04-18-2012, 11:06 AM
I just love this whole album! Here's my list:

1. Tequila Sunrise
2. Out of Control
3. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
4. Doolin-Dalton
5. Desperado
6. Outlaw Man
7. Saturday Night
8. Certain Kind of Fool
9. Twenty One
10.Bitter Creek

I would almost put Out of Control first, but I can't hurt Tequila Sunrise's feelings being a classic and all. :lol:

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh, WOW and thank you Soda!!

I'd never seen this one before - and Glenn is so passionate and he just looks so HOT!!! :jawdrop::fainting:

Oh my gosh, I know! LOVE it. I also love the footage from the Desperado cover shoot, especially at the end when Glenn makes a run for it after all of the other Eagles have been killed! (How dramatic was Bernie's "death scene"? He was hamming it up - and I was lovin' it! lol)

Henley Honey
04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
If they're going to continue to end every show with Desperado, I'd love for them to do the whole Doolin Dalton/Desperado piece. I just love it.

whitcap
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Here's my list. I love every song on this album.

1. Bitter Creek
2. Doolin Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
3. Desperado
4. Out of Control
5. Twenty One
6. Doolin Dalton
7. Outlaw Man
8. Certain Kind of Fool
9. Saturday Night
10. Tequila Sunrise

BBKron
04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
As I've said previously in this forum, Desperado is not only my favorite Eagles album, but one of my very top all-time favorites of all music. Not to mention, one of the best 'concept' albums ever made. And as great as all the other Eagles albums and songs are, I think Desperado is still their true masterpiece. So, I certainly want to join in this renewed celebration of all things Desperado. So hard to believe that it was really 39 years ago. I listened to this all through high school back then, and, of course, still listen to it these days, too. Man, I am getting old.

Anyway, here is my ordered 'favorites' list. Although as others have also indicated, every track on this album is great, so it is just a matter of degrees of greatness.

1. Doolin Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) - The perfect culmination of the album, and thus arguably the most important track, yet it seems to often get ignored (especially in concert - are you listening out there Eagles?), because it is considered 'just' a reprise of previous songs
2. Desperado
3. Bitter Creek
4. Doolin Dalton
5. Twenty-One
6. Certain Kind of Fool
7. Tequila Sunrise
8. Outlaw man
9. Out of Control
10. Saturday Night

BTW, it is no sign of disrespect that Tequila Sunrise ranked #7 here. I love the song. Rather, it is just an indication of the strength of all of the songs on this album, that to me, so many Desperado songs are actually just a bit 'better' than this 'classic' track, yet most of these often don't get the level of recognition they deserve. I know that some have said that they don't think some of these songs 'stand-alone' very well, that they need to be heard within the context of the rest of the album to be appreciated. but, while it is true that the whole album fits together as one large piece of work or song cycle that 'tells' a story, each individual song also works just fine independently as a great song. So, Here's to Desperado, great from beginning to end.

Brooke
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
So hard to believe that it was really 39 years ago. I listened to this all through high school back then, and, of course, still listen to it these days, too. Man, I am getting old.

Don't say that BBK! I'm right there witcha! :hilarious:

And again, I also love this album, front to back.

Topkat
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm suddenly having a whole new appreciation of the Desperado album........especially Glenn

04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
You know I was going back through this thread looking for some info, and there really is a whole lot of good stuff in here. For those who haven't read through this thread, I would highly recommend it.

sodascouts
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
As I listened to my Desperado CD in the car today, it occurred to me that one of the reasons I love this album is the drama of it, the drama of the narrative... and that's probably why I like the Reprise better than the origin Doolin-Dalton and Desperado songs. That last bit where Don is singing back and forth with Glenn Desperado (Is there gonna be anything left, is there gonna be... anything) You sealed your fate up a long time ago (Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring?) Now there's no time left to borrow (Is there gonna be anything left?) Only stardust.... maybe tomorrow.... Desperado....

LOVE IT.

zeldabjr
04-21-2012, 11:34 PM
As I listened to my Desperado CD in the car today, it occurred to me that one of the reasons I love this album is the drama of it, the drama of the narrative... and that's probably why I like the Reprise better than the origin Doolin-Dalton and Desperado songs. That last bit where Don is singing back and forth with Glenn Desperado (Is there gonna be anything left, is there gonna be... anything) You sealed your fate up a long time ago (Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring?) Now there's no time left to borrow (Is there gonna be anything left?) Only stardust.... maybe tomorrow.... Desperado....

LOVE IT.

can't wait to get it...looked for it today in the mail but nothing yet...I have to see what others I don't have...

zelda

sodascouts
04-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Though this is obviously about the Eagles album, I've always found co-writer JD Souther's abbreviated version of "Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise" interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ma_nPOZn0

The slight lyrical differences and more mournful tone/sparse arrangement make it even more tragic, wouldn't you say?

The change that really gets me is "Is there gonna be anyone left... is there gonna be anyone?" as opposed to "anything."

It makes me wonder how all those wild west outlaws must have felt as they saw their compatriots gunned down or hanged, one by one, as the government started increasing the bounties on their heads. With the huge prices on their heads that made not only lawmen but every bounty hunter in the country out for their blood - not to mention the dangers of getting shot in the midst of committing a crime - very few escaped an early grave.

In the case of Doolin-Dalton: Both Bill Doolin and Bill Dalton were able to dodge the law and the bounty hunters for years, but eventually their luck ran out. Both of them wound up being shot and killed by lawmen.

GlennLover
04-22-2012, 11:52 AM

LOVE IT.

I love the Reprise too, but I have always especially loved that part of the song!

04-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I also love the reprise. I always lobbied for it to win in our Desperado Survivor games, but couldn't ever get folks to go along. I love the way that they made it into it's own song, not just a rehash of the two original songs. As I've said before, to me, it is a perfect way to end this album.

EaglesKiwi
04-23-2012, 04:23 AM
I also love the reprise. I always lobbied for it to win in our Desperado Survivor games, but couldn't ever get folks to go along. I love the way that they made it into it's own song, not just a rehash of the two original songs. As I've said before, to me, it is a perfect way to end this album.
Hear hear.

Windeagle
04-23-2012, 09:06 PM

LOVE IT.

That's one of my favorite passages in their entire catalog, never mind just this album. It gives me chills every time.

zeldabjr
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi, just got my Desperado CD...have it on...loving it!

Zelda

sodascouts
04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Very appropriate -since this is our last day of Desperado week!

GlennLover
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi, just got my Desperado CD...have it on...loving it!

Zelda

Glad you're loving it, zelda. I had no doubt that it would! :nod:

04-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Well - I didn't forget about this, but I'm just getting around to posting the results of our Deserado album poll. You may be a little surprised at the results, even though I am personally pleased to announce that the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise has the most points, with Doolin-Dalton trailing in second place, closely followed by Tequila Sunrise. So congratulations to the awesome D-D/Deserado Reprise and here are the rest of the results ...

1. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise - 75 points
2. Doolin-Dalton - 63 points
3. Tequila Sunrise - 61 points
4. Desperado - 58 points
5. Out of Control - 55 points
6. Outlaw Man - 52 points
7. Bitter Creek - 47 points
8. Certain Kind of Fool - 32 points
9. Saturday Night - 29 points
10. Twenty-One - 23 points

As always, thanks to those who participated and if anyone else wants to post their list, please feel free, and I will update the results.

whitcap
04-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Desperado was released 40 years ago today!

WalshFan88
04-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Happy Birthday Desperado!

While it is my least favorite Eagles album, I still give props to it and the music.

sodascouts
04-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Happy 40th birthday, Desperado!!!

40 is a big year. WOW!

It's my favorite Eagles album; I think it's a masterpiece. Not a stinker on there, IMHO.

We should hold a listening party in chat where we listen to the whole album. Maybe we could do it sometime next week? Sunday night perhaps?

As always, I've changed the default board style to the Desperado theme. If you can't see it, try changing the setting in your User CP or by using the drop-down menu at the bottom of the forum's homepage.

Grey Sadler
04-17-2013, 05:47 AM
What a milestone!! :partytime:
I was hoping for a 40th anniversary/special edition CD release...?? ;)

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Happy Birthday Desperado:birthday: This is my favorite album:thumbsup:
Soda I'm up for a listening party:computer:

Outlawman13
04-17-2013, 07:18 AM
I'm in love with all of the Eagles cds, but this one is beyound amazing!!! 40 years? Man!! My favvie track is Outlaw Man!! Can't get enough of Glenn Frey. I love what you did to the bmorder especially your avvie!! I will be working Sunday night

Windeagle
04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
I'd love another listening party! Desperado is one of my favorites.

Brooke
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Love, love this album!

Happy 40th Anniversary Desperado!

I checked out how I rated the songs on it last year and I still feel the same:

1. Tequila Sunrise
2. Out of Control
3. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
4. Doolin-Dalton
5. Desperado
6. Outlaw Man
7. Saturday Night
8. Certain Kind of Fool
9. Twenty One
10.Bitter Creek

Listening party Sunday night...not a good night for me, but you guys have at it!

NYC Fan
04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Love the board graphics this week!

I have a great fondness for the Desperado album, particularly of course the title track. But love Out of Control, Twenty One, Saturday Night and Tequila Sunrise as well.

I've always thought this album was a bit underrated. Can't believe it's 40 years old today!

I guess I don't even need to mention how good the guys all look in the photos from this album. :)

bluefox4000
04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Desperado is like the first album for me, in that I have to be in the mood for it. If I am in the mood...it's close to my favorite album. If not......boy do I dislike it, lol. But...great tracks on here, Certain Kind of Fool, Tequila Sunrise, Saturday Night, Title track, Doolin-Dalton....Both parts, and my fav....Bitter Creek. Love the Desperado reprise too

Great album......if my mood permits, lol

Mick

Houston Debutante
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Love this album, it's great. I'd like to do the chat but not Sunday night, if there's another night we can do it, I will try to be there.

Brooke
04-17-2013, 11:01 AM

I guess I don't even need to mention how good the guys all look in the photos from this album. :)

Wholeheartedly agree with that, NYC! :nod: :drool:

GlennLover
04-17-2013, 01:35 PM
CONGRATULATIONS DESPERADO!!!

I love it & listen to it all the time! It runs a close second to On The Border as my favouite album. Also love the video of the shoot out filmed by Henry Diltz. You can watch it here
http://songspkvideos.com/videos/the_eagles_desperado.html#

Houston Debutante
04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Love your banner, GlennLover.

I also love the Wild West board decor.

GlennLover
04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Love your banner, GlennLover.

I also love the Wild West board decor.

Thank you! :)

Outlawman13
04-17-2013, 05:18 PM

OHHH yes do they look gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMM they are smoking!!!!!!!!!!

GL, I'm in love with your avvie and your signature!!!!!!!!

GlennLover
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks. Glad you like it. Love yours too!

Freypower
04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
In terms of ranking it:

1. Tequila Sunrise
2. Outlaw Man
3. Out Of Control
4. Doolin-Dalton
5. Certain Kind Of Fool
6. Desperado
7. Bitter Creek
8. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
9. Twenty-One
10. Doolin-Dalton (instrumental)
11. Saturday Night

And yes, I know what that looks like, but I can't help it. I think those three at the top are the best tracks.

Outlawman13
04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
I agree with you FP. Those three tracks are my favvies off of this album!!!!!

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) is my all time favorite. I love it. I have a playlist that play Doolin Daltons', Desperado and then the resprise so i can listen to it as one song :) :partytime:

04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY DESPERADO!!!

This is a wonderful album, IMHO - my second favorite Eagles album next to Hotel California. Hard to believe these songs are 40 years old. I love this board style too.

Okay - I'll bring my list forward too ...

1. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
2. Tequila Sunrise
3. Out of Control
4. Certain Kind Of Fool
5. Doolin-Dalton
6. Desperado
7. Outlaw Man
8. Bitter Creek
9. Saturday Night
10. Twenty-One

sad-cafe
04-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I really like Bitter Creek. I think the harmony is awesome

Houston Debutante
04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Are we still going to do the chat sometime?

Outlawman13
04-22-2013, 01:33 PM
LOL I've been wondering the same thing!!!!! I sure hope so!!!! LOL

sodascouts
04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
How about Tuesday night?

Outlawman13
04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
That is fine and dandy for me!!!!!!!!!! LOL. I'm off!!!!:grin: Yeah I'm hyper.

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-22-2013, 08:17 PM
That is fine and dandy for me!!!!!!!!!! LOL. I'm off!!!!:grin: Yeah I'm hyper.

ill be here :)

Grey Sadler
04-22-2013, 10:44 PM
How about Tuesday night?

but...whatever happened to Saturday night?? :shrug:

J/K!!! :D Tuesday might work...what time?

sodascouts
04-22-2013, 10:58 PM
LOL GS!!

Let's do 8:00 Eastern. I'm looking forward to it!

Outlawman13
04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
OHHH yes!!! I'll be here.

Houston Debutante
04-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I will try to make it, it sounds fun.

sodascouts
04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Listening party about to start in chat if anyone wants to join in!

sodascouts
04-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Chat just ended. Thanks to everyone who participated. I had a great time!

Outlawman13
04-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I had too much fun!!!!!! Thanks Nancy for putting that on!!!!!!!!!

Grey Sadler
04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
It was great--thanks, Nancy!! :thumbsup:

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks nancy

NYC Fan
04-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Do you all do this for every album release anniversary? Sounds like fun! I went to see the Pippin revival on Broadway last night, so couldn't make it, but would love to join in on one some time!

Windeagle
04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Chat just ended. Thanks to everyone who participated. I had a great time!

Darn! I didn't see the Tuesday date until this morning. And I was home last night, too. This album is my favorite. Sorry to have missed listening to it with you all.

GlennLover
04-24-2013, 09:11 AM
I didn't think of it until I checked in last night - after it was over. :-( :brickwall:

sodascouts
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Listening parties for anniversaries is something new we've started doing this year. Several years ago we did them for special occasions such as the release of LROOE but not regularly. Sorry for the late notice about scheduling, but since I was away this weekend, I forgot all about it!

NYC Fan
04-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Listening parties for anniversaries is something new we've started doing this year. Several years ago we did them for special occasions such as the release of LROOE but not regularly. Sorry for the late notice about scheduling, but since I was away this weekend, I forgot all about it!

Soda-

Thanks for doing those. They sound like fun!

Glennsallnighter
04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Glad you all had fun! I wouldn't have been able to make it even if I HAD been aware of it! 4am finsh is just too late when I have work the next morning!

Thanks for organising these though Nancy!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Sorry I missed it. I was listening to Zelda's Sabres beat my Penguins. Shoulda put in Desperado and joined y'all.

thelastresort
10-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I want to wade in with my love for this wonderful album (best they ever did, and probably my second favourite album ever by anyone):

Doolin-Dalton - The harmonica is absolutely spine tingling. It's got just the right balance of it I think - it gives the perfect impression of the lone, vast plains they rode without being too dominating. Great to see TBS play it so well on HOTE but I just wish it carried on throughout the song as per the album version.

Twenty-One - Not my favourite but I've only just realised the significance of this song - the only one of the Dalton brothers to survive the disastrous double bank robbery was Emmet. His age? 21. Absolute genius songwriting right there, amazingly subtle.

Out of Control - One of their best ever songs. Tells the social life of an outlaw rather well! Probably the closest the Eagles ever came to heavy metal too :laugh:

Tequila Sunrise - Once again a brilliant bit of songwriting - it took me quite a while to realise the reason this and OOC were next to each other! Mandolin is brilliant too. Probably their most underrated mainstream song I'd say.

Desperado - Love it, but a bit slow. Amazing how many non-Eagles fans are aware of this song because of its ballad-like status. Apparently also a favourite of a Mr. Simon Cowell. I just wish the Eagles didn't end concerts with it, quite a depressing note to leave on!

Certain Kind of Fool - Again, not my favourite, but any Randy song is automatically a decent one in my books ;) Also a great example of just how identical in some ways outlaws were to rock musicians.

Doolin-Dalton Instrumental/Outlaw Man - Incredible intro, very country, and a lovely electric guitar piece. Love the roughly-sung opening lines and to be honest most of the lyrics. The bass on the outro is probably up there with Midnight Flyer as Randy's best on an Eagles record.

Saturday Night - One of my favourite songs ever. Shows just how much times change and love the slow, country-like harmony and guitar playing on it. Love the fact that they're doing it again for HOTE. Once again, Bernie's mandolining is absolutely beautiful.

Bitter Creek - Never used to like this one but have grown to like it. Love the mystery of the lyrics and the overriding message of the song - warning of the fateful Dalton raid. Ties in well with the next song and the outro 'Ohh'-ing is excellent.

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise - Best piece of music the Eagles did pre-HC. Harmony is absolutely out of this world and the words themselves, even if partially recycled, are brilliant. The continual 'Desperado' at the end of this song is still one of my favourite pieces of music ever.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I love Desperado!!!!!! I thought it was really cool that at the History of the Eagles concerts they show clips of them in their cowboy outfits during Doolin Dalton reprise. My favorite one is when they are riding horses. I have two horses so it was awesome to see my favorite band trail riding on horses.

UndertheWire
10-04-2013, 05:00 PM
This always was and still is my favourite Eagles album. I keep wondering would have come next if this had been more commercially successful.

I really like Bitter Creek. It has a spareness that I love. That twanging guitar (or is it some other stringed instrument?).

We're going to hit the road for one last time.
We cab walk right in and steal them blind.
All that money.
No more running.
I can't wait to see the old man's face
When I win the race.

That long fade out with the hamonies.

sodascouts
10-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Comments are always welcome, TLR! I've said before this is my favorite of their albums. I'm absolutely thrilled they are doing the DD-D Reprise this tour. It's magnificent!

GlennLover
10-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Can't wait to hear the DD-D Reprise live! Love it!

10-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm absolutely thrilled they are doing the DD-D Reprise this tour. It's magnificent!

Ditto!

And all I can say is for those who love the Desperado album, then this tour is a MUST SEE for you if at all possible. And for those who don't love the album, then, hopefully, you will gain a bigger appreciation for it if you see this tour.

sad-cafe
10-06-2013, 03:55 PM
I love this "cowboy album"

I love Bitter Creek. It is fantastic.

thelastresort
10-08-2013, 05:52 AM
I'll be totally honest, if I paid full price to go to an Eagles gig and they just played the full Desperado album and Hotel California I'd be a happy man. Can't wait to see them on this side of the Pond, hopefully sooner rather than later.

As an aside, Glenn mentioned during the 1973 BBC concert that they were two songs off completing the Desperado album, so Randy wrote CKOF. Does anyone know what the last song was? I'm presuming D-D/D Reprise, but in reality it could be most of them.

UndertheWire
10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
As an aside, Glenn mentioned during the 1973 BBC concert that they were two songs off completing the Desperado album, so Randy wrote CKOF. Does anyone know what the last song was? I'm presuming D-D/D Reprise, but in reality it could be most of them.
My guess is that the D-D/D reprise was built up out of the leftovers. There are a few other examples of songs which had extra verses that didn't make the cut ("Tequila Sunrise" and it's Mexico verse and "Lyin' Eyes"). Glenn, Jackson Browne and JD had been playing around with the idea of outlaws even before the Eagles were formed, according to one of the stories in the book "Canyon of Dreams".

"Desperado" was an unfinished song that Don Henley had been working on for a few years that was rewritten to fit the outlaw theme.

I'm losing track of interviews, but I read somewhere about Glenn suggesting to Bernie that he write a song about "Bittercreek" who was a member of the Doolin-Dalton gang so that would be one of the later songs.

UndertheWire
11-10-2013, 07:00 PM
I found an interesting comment on a blog:

Jon Hartmann (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/05/15/oh-peyote/#comment-66915)
Comment by Jon Hartmann (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/05/15/oh-peyote/) | 2007/05/15 at 18:59:52
Bob: I was the manager of Eagles (there is no "The" in their name) for their first two albums. I am the cowboy in black on the Desperado cover. Your tribute to this great album is richly deserved. However, there is one error in your piece: the band and I did everything possible to break the record. We knew it was great. ATLANTIC RECORDS (Asylum Record’s distributor) did NOTHING. They made a calculated decision and wrote the record off from day one. They couldn’t understand the value of a concept album and even coming off two hit singles we got zero airplay. The Atlantic promotion guys also failed to deliver a hit on our third single "Peaceful Easy Feeling" one of the greatest songs of all time. This was corporate, not artistic failure. Pax. Hartmann

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/05/15/oh-peyote/

sodascouts
11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Wow, I'd never heard that before. Interesting. Thanks for finding that!

Houston Baby
11-11-2013, 01:28 AM
I found an interesting comment on a blog:

Quote:
Jon Hartmann (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/05/15/oh-peyote/#comment-66915)
Comment by Jon Hartmann (http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/05/15/oh-peyote/) | 2007/05/15 at 18:59:52
Bob: I was the manager of Eagles (there is no "The" in their name) for their first two albums. I am the cowboy in black on the Desperado cover. Your tribute to this great album is richly deserved. However, there is one error in your piece: the band and I did everything possible to break the record. We knew it was great. ATLANTIC RECORDS (Asylum Record’s distributor) did NOTHING. They made a calculated decision and wrote the record off from day one. They couldn’t understand the value of a concept album and even coming off two hit singles we got zero airplay. The Atlantic promotion guys also failed to deliver a hit on our third single "Peaceful Easy Feeling" one of the greatest songs of all time. This was corporate, not artistic failure. Pax. Hartmann
Great find UTW! Thanks for sharing! How frustrating for an artist not to get support/promotion from their record distributor.

sodascouts
11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Btw I've never heard of this guy. I always thought that pre-Azoff, they were managed by Eliot Roberts from Lookout Management. Maybe he worked under Roberts.

UndertheWire
11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
John Hartmann worked for Geffen-Roberts - I believe he was their first employee. He appears to have been the day-to-day manager for the Eagles for the first few years . He left Geffen-Roberts and set up his own management company, taking "America" (who were not on Asylum) with him. According to Barney Hoskyns, in his Hotel California book, Hartmann tried to persuade the Eagles to go with him but Geffen threatened to "bury the band" if they did. Then Azoff arrived.

sad-cafe
11-12-2013, 12:46 AM
I love Desperado but when they play it in concert it is kind of a let down because we all know that is their closing song :( Makes me sad.

thelastresort
11-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Love Desperado but my oh my is it a depressing song to close on. Should without doubt be Take It Easy to close IMO.

sodascouts
11-12-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm delighted that they're including so much of this album on the tour. As I've said before and in this thread, I adore it.

sad-cafe
11-13-2013, 12:26 AM
I do love hearing Sweet Timothy B on the harmonica

sodascouts
04-17-2014, 05:18 AM
Desperado was released 41 years ago today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DESPERADO!

Brooke
04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESPERADO!

Love, love the whole album!

DJ
04-17-2014, 10:59 AM
When I hear Desperado all my emotions are stirred. From excited and wild listening to Out of Control, Melancholy listening to Saturday Night to Weepy listening to Desperado (reprise), Don's voice has such a haunting sound in the reprise, "Now there's no time left to borrow". Yes I would put Desperado on the top of my list of Albums I can't go without hearing atleast once a week.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESPERADO!
"ONLY STARDUST"

Houston Baby
04-17-2014, 01:14 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DESPERADO!!

I admit I was not that impressed when it first came out except for the album cover & the hot looking guys BUT it grew on me quickly and I have LOVED it ever since.

thelastresort
04-17-2014, 03:32 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DESPERADO

Love this album so much

UndertheWire
04-17-2014, 04:09 PM
My favourite. Happy Birthday. I couldn't imagine I'd still be listening 41 years later.

04-17-2014, 04:24 PM
HAPPY 41ST ANNIVERSARY DESPERADO!!!

I admit I was not that impressed when it first came out except for the album cover & the hot looking guys BUT it grew on me quickly and I have LOVED it ever since.

I was kinda the same way, HB, except quite honestly I wasn't even that impressed with the skinny hippie cowboys either. I liked the songs okay at first, but didn't think it was nearly as good as the first album. In retrospect, I often scratch my head and wonder what was I thinking? :headscratch: But, given the album's commercial failure, I guess we weren't the only ones that didn't fully appreciate its brilliance at the time. It now runs a very close second to Hotel California as being my favorite.

shunlvswx
04-18-2014, 12:50 AM
I listen to the album on Spotify today. Majority of their albums(except HFO and LROOE) are on Spotify. I kinda didn't like the album either. Its still not my favorite, but of course I love the songs Desperado, Doolin Dalton, Doolin' Dalton/Desperado reprise, and Saturday Night. If it wasn't for me the clips of Doolin Dalton and Saturday Night, I probably would only like Desperado and Tequila since those two songs were the only ones I heard of before last year.

Happy 41st Birthday, Desperado.

Zanny Kingston
04-18-2014, 02:25 PM
HAPPY 41 to DESPERADO!

I have to admit until last year, I paid no attention to this album. However, since becoming Eagle obsessed, I went out and bought the album, and I have to say I really was impressed from the first time I listened to the entire album. This album was ahead of its time and I have since grown to really appreciate it.

WalshFan88
04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Happy Birthday to Desperado.

Even though I prefer the more rockin' Eagles from OTB forward, this is a great album and another concept album masterpiece.

Favorites are Out Of Control, Doolin-Dalton, and Desperado. I'm kind of burnt out on Tequila Sunrise but it's a good track....

sodascouts
04-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I love how wild and high-spirited "Out of Control" is. I understand why they don't do it anymore, but I sure wish I could have heard it live just once. Thank goodness for the old videos!

WalshFan88
04-18-2014, 05:32 PM
I love how wild and high-spirited "Out of Control" is. I understand why they don't do it anymore, but I sure wish I could have heard it live just once. Thank goodness for the old videos!

I agree.... The first album didn't have any uptempo "shuffle" ie Chuck Berry type songs on it. Witchy Woman is more rockier than the others on Eagles LP but more RnB IMO than rocker.

Of course On The Border brought two uptempo shuffle type songs in Already Gone and James Dean. In fact they didn't do much of that kind of song from OTB until Get Over It for HFO. OOTN and HC and TLR didn't really have any uptempo shuffles.

I'm a sucker for uptempo Chuck Berry type shuffle songs as I can have fun and go crazy with improv for the solos...

UndertheWire
04-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Bernie Leadon on Desperado:

Reading reviews and charts, I still can’t understand why “Desperado” received so lukewarm recognition from fans and press when it released. Do you have an explanation? “Desperado” was the second album by the Eagles. We had three hit single records off of the first album, titled «Eagles». Everyone in the industry, including the press, expected that we would follow the first album with more songs that could be hits. But I give a lot of credit to Glenn Frey (Eagles singer and vocalist) who insisted that we got commercial success with the 3 hits on the first albums, but we should immediately do an artsy album, and try to get critical success also as soon as possible. He felt that would help give the band enough weight to last for a while. The band has lasted for awhile, so maybe that was the right move.
But we did not have immediate top ten hits from the “Desperado” album. Some songs have become classics, including the song “Desperado”, which I love. That was Don Henley’s (Eagles drummer and vocalist) first song, by the way. I think Frey is credited also, but it is mainly Don’s song, and it is a great song.
http://www.hit-channel.com/bernie-leadon-the-eaglesflying-burrito-brotherssolo/1465

Houston Debutante
04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
This album is not my favorite but I agree with Bernie that the highlight is the song Desperado. Don's vocal is so amazing ~ to this day he sings it so beautifully. The perfect show closer.

Restless Heart
04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I love the way the board is decorated for Desperado. It really looks good.

04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
This was a quote from an interview posted in another thread. Being that it is the anniversary week for Desperado, I thought it was very appropriate to post it in this thread. It's one of the best descriptions I've ever heard to explain the attitudes towards country rock in the 70's.

In June 1972 the rock media viewed the “country rock” hybrid as an orphan, while Nashville’s all-powerful Music Row mafia rejected the bastard spawn as patently illegitimate.

Fortunately, it is primarily the appeal and success of the Eagles that helped change these attitudes. And now, the country music that we listen to today is pretty much what the Eagles were doing over 40 years ago.

DivineDon
04-22-2014, 06:39 AM
I love the way the board is decorated for Desperado. It really looks good.

Yes, I meant to comment on it. Was it you Soda who designed the board? If so, well done. the little touches like the revolvers etc. beside each thread are cool. :thumbsup:

Brooke
04-22-2014, 10:19 AM
I love it too. Miss Soda is a very talented lady and I love each 'style' that she did. Thanks for all of them Soda!

sodascouts
04-24-2014, 12:20 AM
Yes, I designed it. Glad you like it! And thanks, Brooke!

thelastresort
05-11-2014, 12:51 PM
The story behind Desperado
In case nobody saw my post on the HOTE thread, I'm a huge fan of the Old West so thought I'd share, for those who aren't aware of them, all the backstories behind Desperado and where the guys' songs tie into it all etc. Enjoy!

The most prominent gang in the album were the Daltons. There were three of them involved in dodgy dealings - Grat, Bob and Emmett. They followed their older brother Frank's example and became lawmen, mainly for the money to be made in bribes and thefts they could cover up, but eventually they were found out and struck off. Bill and Grat headed west to California to meet with brother Bill (who never rode with them, only with the Doolin Gang) and got caught up in several horse thefts that may or may not have been anything to do with them - they quickly headed back to their origins around Missouri and Kansas, where along with the likes of Blackface Bryant and Bitter Creek Newcomb they formed the Dalton Gang, led by Bob, and moved into darker crimes.

Train robberies at Wharton, Red Rock and Adair between 1890 and 1892 went swimmingly, but Bob was desperate to elevate them to the heights of the James Gang (the one with Frank and Jesse, not Joe ;)) and Younger Brothers. As such he set his sights upon the south Kansas town of Coffeyville.

On 5 October 1892, the three Daltons, Bill Doolin (who turned away owing to a lame horse, perhaps genuine, perhaps an excuse to avoid involvement), Bill Powers and Dick Broadwell set upon the town to do something no-one else has ever done before (or as far as I know since) - rob two banks simultaneously. The start was not wonderful however - they were recognised and word spread. Bob and Emmett took on the First National and obtained $21,000 ($536,000 today). Over in the Condon however, Grat was fooled into thinking the vault was not able to be opened until 0930 (it was 0940 in reality, and he was told 0930).

Meanwhile the citizens had armed themselves and opened fire on the First National; Bob and Emmett running quite literally for their lives and taking anyone else's who stood before them: four died on their long trek back to their horses' hitching point. As such a point was next to the Condon, the other three didn't have as far to run, but were ravaged much more savagely by bullets - Powers was fatally caught as he saddled up, Broadwell made it to the outskirts of town before he succumbed to his injuries. As the three brothers saddled up, Grat was shot fatally through his throat, Bob was gunned down and in a desperate attempt to rescue his sibling, Emmett was shot, but miraculously survived. The now famous picture which inspired Frey and co.'s on the rear cover was taken a day later after Powell was found.

Emmett, aged 21, lived until 1937, and following a jail term moved in California, as a builder, author and movie consultant.

The Doolin Bunch arose after that fateful day in Kansas, containing amongst others Bill Doolin, Bill Dalton and Bitter Creek. Their downfall came following a shootout with US Marshals in Ingalls, OK, in 1893. Though none of the three died, many of their running mates did, and the group as good as dispersed forever. Both Bills were later killed by posses after years of manhunting, and Bitter Creek Newcomb was shot down by Rose of Cimarron's brothers in 1895.

-----------------------------------------------------

And now onto the Eagles!

Doolin-Dalton tells the story very broadly of the Dalton Gang - 'Go down Bill Dalton...' to me warns Bill to stay well away from his brothers' activities, and 'Two brothers lying dead in Coffeyville' was why. 'Lay down your law books now they're no damn good' - Bill was aiming to be a politician in CA when Bob and Grat moved over to lie low for a while - the horse thefts that got tied to them ended his hopes and he later moved into outlaw bahviour with Doolin. 'Keep moving ... 'til your shadows set you free' was probably an allusion to their move back east and how they stayed well off the beaten track before the robbery. 'never, see that hanging tree' - the longer they kept it up the less likely they'd be to be found and almost certainly executed for their crimes. 'And a man ... but some just went stir crazy, Lord, 'cause nothin' ever changed' - exactly how the robbery panned out, especially when Grat was fooled so easily. ''Til Bill Doolin met Bill Dalton ... and so he left that peaceful life behind' - the move Dalton made from wannabe politician to outlaw when he met Doolin.

I'll do the rest later!

GlennLover
05-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Thank you, tlr. That was very interesting. :)

GlennLover
05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Tlr, do you know how Coffeyville got it's name?

thelastresort
05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Nope, had a quick check and if Wikipedia is true it's named after a colonel who won a coin toss with a surveyor :lol:

Prettymaid
05-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks TLR! I'm enjoying it!

sodascouts
05-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm fascinatined by this stuff, too! In fact, I actually visited Coffeyville a couple years ago and purchased several souvenirs: the autobiographical Beyond the Law written by Emmett Dalton, an informative book called The Dalton Gang and Their Family Ties which also talks about their sister Eva Dalton, and a reprint of an 1892 account of the incident called Last Raid of the Daltons. The latter was written by the editor of the Coffeyville Journal at the time. Finally, I got a reprint of the newspaper published the day after the raid. Interesting stuff!

Oh, I almost forgot - I got a very amateurishly made documentary about it as well put out by the people who run the Dalton museum in Coffeyville. Not the greatest, but it does have a film clip of an older Emmett Dalton, who (as noted by thelastresort) had gone on to be an "expert consultant" for Hollywood Western movies after he got a pardon. Ain't that America!

GlennLover
05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Nope, had a quick check and if Wikipedia is true it's named after a colonel who won a coin toss with a surveyor :lol:

Thanks. :laugh:

sodascouts
05-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Some photos I took during my visit:

This is actually painted on the side of the hardware store where the townsfolk armed themselves to defeat the Dalton Gang:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/coffeyville2011/6f640609.jpg

A peek inside one of the banks (I took it through the window; the old Condon bank was demolished, but First National is preserved):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/coffeyville2011/c18e58d7.jpg

Death Alley:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/coffeyville2011/609885c2.jpg

Yes, they actually have marked on the ground "chalk outlines" where the outlaws fell:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/coffeyville2011/1fc4be83.jpg

This is a copy of the book Glenn has said that Ned Doheny gave him - the one that details the outlaws and their deaths, inspiring the theme and art of Desperado:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/coffeyville2011/5e76b842.jpg

sodascouts
05-11-2014, 04:26 PM
And here is my off-the-cuff retracing of their steps, with my oh-so-dramatic narration. Not for those who get motion sickness, as I hurry along to "recreate" their journey, my camera bouncing hard. I am whispering my "narration" because I am afraid one of the locals will hear me and think I am an idiot (it was Sunday and the place was deserted, but I worried someone would happen by).

OK, maybe I was getting a little carried away, but like I said I find this all terribly interesting.

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/glennfreyonline/media/coffeyville2011/6c132901.mp4.html

thelastresort
05-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Awesome pics Soda, thanks for sharing! Amazing to see inside the old First National but the chalk outline of the corpses is a tad weird :s

sodascouts
05-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it was weird... and I didn't even post my photo of their recreation of the corpses in the jail using mannequins....

Here's my photobucket account with all the photos I took if anyone's interested in seeing more:
http://s18.photobucket.com/user/glennfreyonline/library/coffeyville2011/

UndertheWire
05-11-2014, 04:57 PM
This is great. Thanks to both of you for sharing what you know.

GlennLover
05-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Here's an article I found about Colonel James Coffey: http://www.coffeyville.com/index.aspx?NID=342

Brooke
05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Very interesting stuff, guys! Thanks for all of that and to Soda for the pics!

05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Yep - Lovin' all this history! :thumbsup:

NYC Fan
05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks TLR and Soda!

I love all this history. So fascinating and love all the ties to the Desperado album. Thanks for taking the time to share.

thelastresort
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
<Off-topic alert>

The following has nothing to do with the Eagles themselves but one of the towns mentioned where the Daltons robbed a train got my mind thinking back to my favourite Old West tale and probably the most downright unbelievable event ever to occur in that time period, it's just something I think deserves a share:

Back in 1917 (25 years after the Daltons visited) Wharton, TX, appointed a new marshal, WW Pitman, who early on in his days apprehended a local troublemaker by the name of Francisco Lopez. On this one particular meeting Lopez reacted badly to Pitman's peaceful advancement, and like many thousands of other outlaws before him, he drew his gun. Two shots missed Pitman. As he pulled the trigger for his third, Pitman did for his first. Both bullets sounded, Lopez's gun flew from his hand and he was duly arrested. However no bullets could be found and there was no damage to Lopez's hand. What transpired to had happened was Pitman had fired down the barrel of Lopez's gun, just as his third bullet had left the cylinder, causing the two to impact, deform the gun and make Lopez drop it.

I'm not a firearms expert but I'd guess from several paces apart with split second reaction times, hitting the gun with a bullet would be impossible enough. I'd guess the odds of firing down the barrel given the circumstances are several hundred thousand, if not millions, to one.

</Off-topic>

Prettymaid
05-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Interesting story!

UndertheWire
06-15-2014, 06:04 PM
I've beenreading some old Cameron Crowe interviews that cover the writing for the Desperado album. They make it sound like the concept pre-dates the Eagles by several years.

From a 1974 piece on Jackson Browne (http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs161-jackson-browne/). Note that JD refers to "our" Desperado album:

“The first thing we ever tried writing together,” said Souther, “was the stuff that was on our Desperado album. Ned Doheny [another Asylum artist-he'd been part of the Elektra Music Ranch] laid a book about gunfighters on us. It had a chapter in it about the Doolin-Dalton gang. We started talking about it, ranting and raving through the night about the role of outlaw and using that as a metaphor.

From a 1973 interview with Glenn (www.theuncool.com/journalism/the-eagles-zoo-world/):

Eagles played a lot of new album material during the tour, and I asked Frey if he considered the new album, Desperado, to be a concept album.

“Well, strangely enough, it turns out that way. We’re kind of hesitant to talk about it as a ‘concept album,’ though. I don’t think it’s really…well, overt isn’t the word I’m looking for, but it just isn’t obvious enough to promote it as such. But it has its moments where it definitely draws some parallels between rock ‘n roll and being an outlaw. Outside the laws of normality, I guess. I mean, I feel like I’m breaking the law all the time. What we live and what we do is kind of a fantasy.”

Have you been wanting to explore that subject for a long time?

Yeah. A lot of people, amongst our friends, have been talking about it for years. J.D. (Souther), Jackson (Browne) and Ned Doheny, all of us, have been discussing that for awhile. It just finally..well, I guess you’d say that Eagles were the ones to finally do it. We had all talked about it as a distant project for me and Jackson and J.D. at one point, but it came to be our lot to do it now. The story could always be continued, that’s for sure.

Why aren’t Jackson, Ned or J.D. on the album?

Well, we were recording in England and they didn’t make it. We had all worked out the story-line together. The instrumentation and arrangements had been together for sometime…only thing missing were the lyrics. We all took a hand in that. We’d talk on the phone, or whenever we saw each other, we would discuss lyrical ideas.

“Doolin’ Dalton” has been around awhile hasn’t it?

Yeah. Me, J.D. and Jackson started that song about three years ago when there was till Longbranch Penny-whistle (the duo of Frey and Souther) and there wasn’t a Jackson Browne album and stuff. We wrote it one night, kicked it around, and never got much done on it until that Outlaw concept got to be a serious thing. Then (drummer Don) Henley helped the three of us finish it up. Bernie (Leadon, guitarist) had “Twenty-One” already written and there we had the start of our album. We just took it from there.

“Dooling Dalton,” thought, has a bunch of verses. We might do the whole thing if we ever get a shot at a media piece like television or a movie

Desperado seems to be a little more involved musically that the first album. Does that indicate any direction for Eagles?

It sure does. We’re a little more involved musically now as well. It was a natural thing to happen. The thing about writing the songs, too, after the band was really together…all the songs, with the exception of “Doolin’ Dalton,” were written since the Eagles were together whereas on the first album some of those songs had existed for quite awhile…were collaborations. There was much more inter-band communication. The songs were written tailor-made for the talents that we observed in each other.

So the second album is much more of a band effort rather than four individuals playing together.
For sure. This is definitely a band album, Desperado. I’m a very firm believer in group efforts.

sodascouts
06-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Love it. I knew that Jackson and JD were in on the whole Desperado concept, and I knew about the outlaw book (I've even seen a copy of it) but I didn't realize they were working on it during the Longbranch Pennywhistle days!

Thanks!

PS I love how in the interviews from 1972 and 1973, the reporters have to explain that Don Henley is the one who plays drums and Bernie Leadon is the guitarist, lol. That wouldn't be necessary for much longer!

DJ
06-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Soda for all the great pictures of the Dalton gang history. I love this kinda stuff!

sodascouts
04-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Happy 42nd birthday to my favorite Eagles album, Desperado!

Jonny Come Lately
04-17-2015, 02:58 AM
Happy 42nd birthday to Desperado indeed!

Superb album, I will probably post some more thoughts about the music later, but for now I just say that it's among my favourites by anyone and just behind Hotel California as my second favourite Eagles album. In fact I'm going to listen to it right now.

By the way I absolutely love your avatar and signature marking the occasion, soda! :) You should use them again!

chaim
04-17-2015, 03:25 AM
Bitter Creek is a real gem. I'm still under some weird spell every time I hear it. I wish they had chosen to play that on the "magical history tour".

DivineDon
04-17-2015, 07:11 AM
Love, love love this album - could keep it on repeat forever :thumbsup:

Brooke
04-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Yes, my very favorite Eagles album too! Love every song on it!

42 years? How can that be?! :fear:

thelastresort
04-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Happy birthday Desperado.

Absolutely belting album, still my favoruite after all this time (I have a feeling I said the same thing for the OTB anniversary too :lol:) and the album that made me fall in love with a certain band called the Eagles. Will attest forever that the closing song is both the most emotional I've heard them and has their finest harmonies. Spine-tingling.

NightMistBlue
04-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Bitter Creek is a real gem. I'm still under some weird spell every time I hear it.

Just like in that Seinfeld episode! Elaine's boyfriend (and Jerry IIRC) would go into a kind of trance when "Desperado" was played. Another character, a doctor, was under the spell of "Witchy Woman."

There's just something compelling about Eagles music. Maybe they embedded hypnotic suggestions in some of the tracks. :) Nah, it's their talent that is spell-binding.

Sorry, back on topic: is that little promotional film that the band made at Paramount Ranch available in full anywhere?

04-19-2015, 12:20 PM
HAPPY 42ND ANNIVERSARY DESPERADO!!!

I don't know how many ways to say I love this album, but, if I have to say so myself, this thread is a fantastic tribute to this brilliant album. If you haven't read it before, it is definitely worth the investment of time to do so.

And a huge 42-year THANK YOU to all the players that made it happen:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/desperadobackbig.jpg

Standing: Gary Burden, Larry Penny, Richie Fernandez, Boyd Elder, Tommy Nixon, John Hartmann, Glyn Johns

Outlaws: Jackson Browne, Bernie Leadon, Glenn Frey, Randy Meisner, Don Henley, JD Souther

**And to Henry Diltz for all of the fantastic photography

DJ
04-19-2015, 03:56 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE BEST F----ING COWBOY ALBUM MADE. I LISTEN TO IT ALMOST EVERYDAY! LOVE IT. :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
04-20-2015, 10:08 AM
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/desperadobackbig.jpg

Standing: Gary Burden, Larry Penny, Richie Fernandez, Boyd Elder, Tommy Nixon, John Hartmann, Glyn Johns

I was watching a documentary on PBS yesterday called "Children of Giant," about the filming of the James Dean - Elizabeth Taylor movie in Marfa, Texas in 1955. Much to my surprise, artist Boyd Elder was featured - apparently he is from nearby Valentine, TX which was also in the film (as the poor Mexican village). As ya'll know, Boyd did the artwork for many Eagles albums and the first official Eagles gig was at his gallery show in Venice.

UndertheWire
04-20-2015, 11:45 AM
J
Sorry, back on topic: is that little promotional film that the band made at Paramount Ranch available in full anywhere?
The longest version I've seen is on this Diltz/Burden "Under the Covers" doc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hhKPNYKis

This has been my favourite Eagles album for 42 years and I don't see that changing.

NightMistBlue
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Thank you!

My only complaint with Desperado is that it seems on the short side. It's only about 33 minutes long, right? Most albums are more like 40 minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.

UndertheWire
04-20-2015, 02:38 PM
More like 36 minutes. I have another Asylum album from the time which is about 33 minutes and I remember thinking that was short but I'd never noticed with Desperado.

UK TimFan
04-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Bitter Creek is a real gem. I'm still under some weird spell every time I hear it. I wish they had chosen to play that on the "magical history tour".
If they had then, arthritic knees or not, I would have moved heaven and earth to see them.
And as Bernie is on the tour with them, there's absolutely no reason for them not to have played it.

Funk 50
04-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Thank you!

My only complaint with Desperado is that it seems on the short side. It's only about 33 minutes long, right? Most albums are more like 40 minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.

I really thought that since the development of CDs, with a capacity for 70-80 minutes, the "random" play button then subsequently single track downloads, they'd re-release Desperado with the full versions of Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw Man, an extended conjoined version of the opening and closing tracks (as they performed it live until HOTE) and maybe separate the tracks that run into each other.

I used to love tracks merging into each other on LPs but on random play they are imo, a problem.

04-25-2015, 03:44 PM
My guess is that for the HOTE tour, they wanted Bernie to play something from the first album and something preferably a little uptempo, which is why they chose TLHTM. I can't complain too much because I personally would much rather had that than Earlybird. My personal favorite is My Man, but it probably wouldn't have played that well live, plus it's from On the Border. I'm not convinced Bitter Creek would play that well live either. If they had gone with a song from the Desperado album, my preference would have been Twenty-One.

Funk 50
04-25-2015, 05:14 PM
My guess is that for the HOTE tour, they wanted Bernie to play something from the first album and something preferably a little uptempo, which is why they chose TLHTM.

I haven't witnessed it live but I can't see Train Leaves Here This Morning having folks dancing in the aisles. Twenty One is a great shout, musically and conceptually, for the start of the story. Maybe add a coda with a more contemporary "60 odd and strong as we can be..."

Hearing The Police's Andy Sumner complaining that he couldn't get band vocalist, Sting to sing any of his songs, I wonder if Bernie had the same problem with the Eagles. They had to perform his early songs as, at the time, they didn't have that many to choose from. His later songs, just as good imho, tended to get overlooked as they continued with Train Leaves Here This Morning and Earlybird rather than work up his newer tunes.

I don't know how strong any of Bernie's songs are live. I know Waddy Watchel's dad didn't think much of the act he had with Michael Georgiades ("Saddest thing I've ever seen") and a solo show he did about a decade ago only included one Eagles song, Hollywood Waltz, so I guess they're nothing special.

Bernie's the only Eagles who doesn't appear to have a signature tune. Maybe he can get the guys to perform one of his new songs for a future project.

thelastresort
04-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Agreed on Twenty-One, it would also give Bernie a chance to demonstrate just how good he is on banjo: as great as it is to see him play it on D-D/D Reprise he never really gets unleashed on it (even the beautiful instrumental interlude in it is a bit quiet). Also favours the three man set-up better than perhaps Earlybird or Bitter Creek would: Bernie on banjo, Glenn on guitar (either playing similar to the mandolin part or the traditional fast-muted notes) and Henley with PEF-style guitar drumming. You'd struggle to play the other two aforementioned songs with just three men, especially as Henley has no real guitar expertise.

chaim
04-26-2015, 06:43 AM
There are two essential elements on Twenty-One that were both played by Bernie, and therefore it wouldn't work as well live IMO. One is the banjo, of course, and the other is Bernie's Dobro playing. He rules with his Dobro in that song.

UndertheWire
04-26-2015, 07:52 AM
They used to play Twenty One live, as well as Bitter Creek.

chaim
04-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I knew that they performed Twenty-One at some point. But Bitter Creek?:shock: I had no idea.