PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
My other obsession besides The Eagles, The Fab Four. They have Impacted my life in such a way, their music is timeless, and they are all incredibly handsome. I love John's big brown eyes :inlove:

Prettymaid
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Amazing EL, since they broke up 20 years before you were born! Their music is timeless - I'm just curious how you came to be such a huge fan. You know the old joke - I didn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings - and that joke usually is intended for people even twice your age!

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
I borrowed the 1 CD from my Dad one time, and I was instantly hooked :thumbsup:

Freypower
04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Where do you want to start?

First of all here is an approximate Top 10:

1. Yesterday
2. Norwegian Wood
3. A Day In The Life
4. Hey Jude
5. Come Together
6. Strawberry Fields Forever
7. Get Back
8. Back In The USSR
9. Revolution
10. Eleanor Rigby

It would have been easier to list 20. I could go on about this for a very long time.

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 08:33 PM
What a coincidence Julie, my top ten is the exact same

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 08:36 PM
My Top Ten Albums would be:

1. Sgt. Pepper
2. The White Album
3. Let It Be
4. Revolver
5. Rubber Soul
6. Abbey Road
7. Meet The Beatles
8. 1
9. 1967-1970 ( Blue Album)
10. 1962-1966 (Red Album)

Freypower
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
EL, that is a remarkable coincidence, given how many wonderful songs there are to choose from.

Albums:

1. Revolver (my favourite album of all time)
2. The Beatles
3. Abbey Road
4. Rubber Soul
5. A Hard Day's Night
6. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7. Let It Be (totally underrated)
8. Help!
9. With The Beatles
10. Beatles For Sale

EagleLady
04-17-2009, 08:57 PM
My favorite Beatle would have to Be John, because he was very intelligent, witty, and could be arrogant at times. but he was funny.

MikeA
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Looking at the "Top 10" songs by the Brits...I would only change to include "Blackbirds". As for albums...wow, that is so hard to make a choice as to "the best". I'd probably have to go with "Abby Road" but "Sgt Peppers" is so close that I go into a tailspin trying to decide between them.

I guess I was in High School when the Beatles rose to fame. What a great time to be a kid!

Stars
04-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I was a huge Beatles fan back in the day! I remember the Beatles arrived in the USA on my 12th birthday, February 7, 1964. One of my most vivid memories is going to see "A Hard Day's Night" in the theater, and screaming along with everyone else every time they sang!:hilarious:

Brooke
04-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I've always liked the Beatles. Not a huge fan, but enjoy many of their songs. I remember seeing them on the Ed Sullivan Show back when I was a kid. And I loved Paul's puppy dog eyes.

Favorite songs:

Hey Jude, Get Back and Yesterday.

EagleLady
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I love Pauls Big Puppy dog eyes too :inlove:

Prettymaid
09-30-2009, 08:49 AM
We're going to see the Beatles tribute band Rain tonight. I think I've heard others mention them on the board before. I'm really looking forward to it!

Hotel California 80
10-17-2009, 12:12 PM
My favourite. Second generation fan here.

Anyone get the remastered CDs?

Freypower
10-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I frankly didn't see the point of buying all the remastered CDs. I do hope that yet another generation of fans is introduced to the greatest popular music of our time.

EagleLady
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQTCGzvRQIw

One of my favorites By George

EagleLady
10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrGf7JvBIs&feature=related

Love this one

EagleLady
10-22-2009, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMCu5IRRHM

This is my favorite scene. So adorable in their white suits :faint:

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:37 AM
One of my top favorite bands. My favorite Beatle is George Harrison, because he is in my opinion highly underrated as a guitar player. I really like the Beatles stuff, with my favorite song being "Here Comes The Sun". I remember being a little kid and listening to that on a movie and really liking it. I found out much later on who that was. In my opinion, the best 3 bands of all time are the Eagles, the Stones, and the Beatles.

MikeA
11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Beatles: Grew up on them in the 60's. They defined the music and culture of that era. They pretty much unlocked the fetters holding the kids in check and gave the adults something to unite in hatred of <LOL>

I've heard it said that Harrison "invented" the guitar lead!

I think most people would pick Sgt Peppers as their favorite album but for me, it was always "Abby Road". I remember literally wearing the gooves off of my first Abby Road vinyl. Then bought another and recorded it to reel to reel tape and never played the vinyl other to re-record it if the tape became unplayable because of rewinds or something.

The only thing I'd change in Austin's list of all time greatest rock bands would be to toss Led Zeppelin in ahead of the Stones. Both were deserving of the selection as one of the top three but I liked Zep's music and contributions to the industry more.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Beatles: Grew up on them in the 60's. They defined the music and culture of that era. They pretty much unlocked the fetters holding the kids in check and gave the adults something to unite in hatred of <LOL>

I've heard it said that Harrison "invented" the guitar lead!

I think most people would pick Sgt Peppers as their favorite album but for me, it was always "Abby Road". I remember literally wearing the gooves off of my first Abby Road vinyl. Then bought another and recorded it to reel to reel tape and never played the vinyl other to re-record it if the tape became unplayable because of rewinds or something.

The only thing I'd change in Austin's list of all time greatest rock bands would be to toss Led Zeppelin in ahead of the Stones. Both were deserving of the selection as one of the top three but I liked Zep's music and contributions to the industry more.

Funny you mention Abbey Road - its my favorite Beatles album as well!

My top 5 favorite Bands goes like this. Eagles - Stones - Beatles - Led Zeppelin - AC/DC or Aerosmith. For my 5th band I'm constantly trying to decide if I like Aerosmith or AC/DC better. I really love both band's music so it's a hard choice.

The Stones is kind of funny for me, I'm a huge Keith Richards/Mick Taylor fan but there are times where I'm not such a Mick Jagger fan. I really love the 70s stuff (Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Ya Ya's Live, etc). My favorite album of theirs is Exile. Just a great album.

Freypower
11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm glad this has been revived. I could talk about the Beatles all the time. Every time I listen to them I get more & more out of them.

Although Revolver is my favourite Beatles album & also my favourite album of all time I'm finally starting to get the whole Sgt Pepper 'mystique'. One of the reasons why it's great is because it is so English. People always say the Kinks & the Who wrote better songs about England but the Beatles did too (don't forget that the amazing single Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever is from this period & it is as English as you can get).

Examples: the whole brass band thing of Sgt Pepper itself with Billy Shears (Ringo) - you can just picture the crowd maybe at one of the south coast seaside resorts like Brighton watching the band.

Good Morning Good Morning & Lovely Rita - perfect descriptions of English suburban life ('it's time for tea & Meet The Wife... watching the skirts you start to flirt now you're in gear').

She's Leaving Home -while this could be anywhere, the girl is meeting a man from the motor trade & the parents' lament ('we struggled hard all our lives to get by') seems very post World War II Britain.

Fixing A Hole & Getting Better - 'mustn't grumble'!

A Day In The Life - the ultimate Beatles song & has so many references from 'nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords' to '4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire' & the Albert Hall to 'the English army had just won the war'.

As for Top 5 bands mine are Beatles/Eagles/Rolling Stones/Dire Straits/Led Zeppelin.

NEWS FLASH: The entire Beatles catalogue is finally on iTunes.

Prettymaid
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I've said this before, but I think the fact that I grew up with The Beatles has something to do with my love for their music. As Mike has said, they are responsible for changing our culture at the time, and I was a young person eating it up! It's almost like I evolved with The Beatles. I loved their first songs as they were played on the radio, but when Rubber Soul came out everything had changed! Even the album's title was telling. And I still loved everything I heard. Revolver was even more evolved. When you read books about them in the recording studio during these albums and Sgt. Pepper, you learn that they were like children wanting to try anything and everything to see what it sounded like. You guys know me and lists, so I don't have a favorite album, or even a favorite song. For me, nobody can touch this band, simply because of the effect they had on the world at the time. It also doesn't hurt that their message was peace and love.

FP, it's funny that the lyrics you quote as being very English were at the time for me very hippy/trippy. It wasn't until I read about how these songs were written did I know that they were about real places!

MikeA
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
What cumulatively, Jack Nicklus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Tiger Woods were to Golf, The BEATLES were to music. And they did it in ONE GENERATION where the golfers spanned four overlapping generations.

But as has been said, it wasn't just their profession the Beatles revolutionized, it was Culture itself!

I can think of little recently other than the H-Bomb and the Cold War that impacted culture as much as the Beatles! And depending on your point of view, one was as good or bad as the other!

jdubfan
11-23-2010, 12:50 AM
I also was a child of the 60s and grew up with the Beatles. Can't consider a world without their music. As a younger kid, my favorite was Paul, 'cause he was Cute. But as I matured and became a more enlightened gal, John was my favorite. What lyrics and insight. The last couple nights PBS has played some Lennon material to commemorate his 70th birthday and 30th anniversary of his death. I resent missing out on all the new things he would have had for us in the last 30 years. Tonight was a show called LennoNYC, about his and Yoko's time in America. The quote that stood out for me was Yoko's "He was an artist. Why would anyone want to kill an artist?"

My favorites are the Red, White and Blue albums, Sgt Peppers, but most favorite is Abbey Rd, I also wore the vinyl out on this one.

tequila girl
02-09-2011, 06:01 PM
For Beatles Fans...in the UK only I guess :eyebrow: 10.35 ITV Tonight

I Was There When the Beatles Played the Cavern
Documentary marking the 50th anniversary of the group's first appearance at the underground Liverpool venue. Fans and fellow musicians - including two members of John Lennon's first band the Quarrymen - recall their memories of the former fruit warehouse, where the Beatles performed nearly 300 times. Including contributions by Ken Dodd, Gerry Marsden and Willy Russell, archive footage of the band performing at the Cavern, plus a rare interview with original drummer Pete Best
Category General Music/Ballet/Dance
Director John Piper
Executive Producer Mark Robinson

Prettymaid
02-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks Carole. Guess I'll have to hear all about it from you! ;)

sodascouts
02-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes - it sounds really interesting!

MikeA
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Now do I sense a "boot" in the offing?

tequila girl
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Sadly Mike I don't have the facilities to do all this modern techy stuff :-(
but I have to admit it was actually quite ggod! It'll probably appear on You Tube or a more up-to-date member will have recorded it and be able to pass it around! :wink:

MikeA
02-10-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty whacked out on the Bugs man. Everyone, or just about everyone and I include myself....we comment on how they changed culture. How they influenced the social and political minds of more than one generation.

But have you listened to their music. I mean REALLY listened to their music? They were a phenomena! And you could see them evolve from one album to the next. When it came to a songwriting team, I think the only duo to challenge John and Paul would have to be Don and Glenn. And as much as I love what Don and Glenn have done, I think they are still in the shadow of what Paul and John did.

I think Joe is right on the button when he says something to the effect of "If you want to learn Music....study everything the Beatles have ever done!"

Okay, it's late. I'm taking my meds now and heading for bed!

Freypower
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I heard two Beatles tracks yesterday - All My Loving & The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill. The endless wit & invention of these men and the way the music evolved from joyous love songs to weird stories & sound collages never ceases to amaze me. They are the benchmark against which all rock music should be judged.

Sadly, I don't think Henley/Frey really measures up to Lennon/ McCartney. Their body of work as a duo in terms of songwriting is not actually that big. To be honest I think more valid comparisons would be Jagger/Richards & Page/Plant. I wish there were much more Henley/Frey than there is.

EagleLady
02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I agree Julie, They've certainly had an impact on me, and I wasn't around during their heyday.

Prettymaid
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
The endless wit & invention of these men and the way the music evolved from joyous love songs to weird stories & sound collages never ceases to amaze me. They are the benchmark against which all rock music should be judged.

I agree totally.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I also agree that Lennon and McCartney that are in a league all by themselves in terms of the quanity and quality of their body of work and definitely set the bar for all who followed.

Now, as far as Henley and Frey - while they were not that prolific in terms of the quantity of work they produced, the quality of their overall body of work is almost unsurpassed, IMHO.

Mrs Frey
02-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Good grief, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I guess I spent FAAAAAAAAAAR too much time away from The Border.

The Beatles are, without a doubt, my favourite group/band. The Eagles come a close second, but I've loved The Beatles since my childhood.

I was 12 years old when my mother hauled out two seven singles of "Can't Buy Me Love"/"You Can't Do That" (1964) and "Oh Darling"/Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" (1968 at my request, as I'd started listening to their music whenever I heard it on the radio. She also had a seven single of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord"/"Isn't It A Pity", taken from his 1970 triple album "All Things Must Pass".

Two years later, I became Beatles obsessed, a passion that was exceeded only by my obsession with Elvis Presley. But even he took a backseat while I became engrossed in all things Beatles for a great part of my high school career.

John Lennon is my favourite Beatle - I just love his powerful voice, that could cover anything from "Twist And Shout" to "In My Life". He was an exceptional songwriter at his best, writing some timeless classics like the post-Beatles gems "Imagine" and "Jealous Guy", not to mention "Woman" and "(Just Like) Starting Over". I love his sense of humour - so quick-witted and clever, and last but not least, I think he was just gorgeous and sexy - in the pre-Yoko years (:wink:).

One of my biggest dreams is to see Paul McCartney live in concert, but sadly, I don't think that dream will ever come true. Just another legend who doesn't grace South African waters... how sad. Paul has the same ability John had for singing and writing a variety of songs - from "I'm Down" to "Yesterday". As far as I can remember, he recorded the latter two songs on the same day. I also love his work with Wings, and my favourite is "My Love". Wow, Linda was a lucky girl to have a song like that written about her. :wink:

George Harrison - ahhh. The world's most underrated guitarist. Boy, could he PLAY! And that sweet voice, that just added dimensions to the Lennon/McCartney harmonies. Of course, George wrote one of the most covered songs of all time, "Something" - legends like Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and Shirley Bassey recorded it, amongs many others. Paul McCartney mentioned once that he thought it a great compliment when Frank Sinatra commented that "Something" was his favourite Lennon/McCartney composition!

Oh yes, and did I mention that I think both Paul and George were completely gorgeous. Paul, even at his age (68, is able to make my knees weak. He's still got it!

Richard Starkey - or Ringo Starr, as we have come to know him - the world's most underrated drummer!! In addition to his sweet nature and sense of humour, he is an excellent musician. The Beatles were not The Beatles before Ringo joined them. Listening to recordings that featured their previous drummer, Pete Best, there is just no comparison, with all due respect to Pete Best. Ringo helped to create what we have come to know as the Beatles sound.

Okay, before I go on and on, I'd better stop now. I must say, I rather enjoyed sharing that! I just wish I had more time to spend on The Border!

Prettymaid
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
What a wonderful tribute Mrs F. Can you just 'imagine' what more John could have given us?

Annabel
02-11-2011, 08:09 AM
As a child in the 60's with 3 older sisters, I grew up listening to the Beatles and loved everything they did. One of my sisters still has every 7" single and all the albums. I have a few of my own.

I was lucky enough to see Wings in concert in Brighton on my 18th Birthday. Amazing. Best family birthday party I have ever missed lol. :thumbsup:

In the last year at her Junior school, (year 6) my oldest daughter got to study the Beatles as part of the National Curriculum. She grew to love them too and bought a greatest hits CD of her own that she still has and plays on her i-pod. Sadly they didn't repeat those school lessons 2 years later when her little sister was in year 6, and she still hasn't discovered the magic of them yet.

MikeA
02-11-2011, 09:07 AM
The sad thing about growing old is that inevitably, I find myself longing for the years that I got only glimpsed as a result of the way I was raised. Oh, I knew what was going on, but I wanted to be a part of it instead of a spectator! On the other hand, I was privileged to be there when it was happening and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

I was not allowed to buy any of the albums or 45's by any R&R musicians (nor any Blues either). I had my little transistor radio though and would spend hours channel hopping the AM dial, wading through the static hearing nothing but MoTown while searching for the few moments of Beatles.

The Beatles were a big part of that period of Jr and Sr School for me. They were, well, different! I didn't really care much for anything other than Blues back before the Beatles. And I didn't win any popularity contests because of my infatuation with Blues Music....you can imagine what it was called by the kids I was in school with....kids are NASTY creatures and our school was no exception.

I cannot make any adverse comment about anything Mrs Frey documented.

Brilliant.

Mrs Frey
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
What a wonderful tribute Mrs F. Can you just 'imagine' what more John could have given us?

Thank you, PM! Yes, John was in a creative resurgence when he was murdered. After his 5-year hiatus (when he spent time as a "househusband", raising his second son, Sean), he put out "Double Fantasy", which features wonderful songs like the aforementioned "Woman", "(Just Like) Starting Over" as well as "Watching The Wheels". The irony of this album is that it didn't sell as well as it could have before his death, due to the number of Yoko Ono songs on it as well (with apologies to all Yoko fans). The posthumous album, "Milk And Honey", also features songs that John recorded during that period.

I must say, I'm not really a fan of some of the work John put out just after The Beatles split. In my opinion, he was losing his musicality and becoming too focused on politics, which also landed him in some hot water. "Imagine" is the only album of his from the early '70s that I own.

Paul was the more commercially minded of the two, and reaped the benefits thereof. I'm also not a fan of everything Paul put out as a solo artist, but I think he pipped John to the post regarding commercial success, if we are to measure such things. Paul wrote some wonderful, tuneful songs post-Beatles, both with Wings and solo. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just one example of such material.

Mrs Frey
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
As a child in the 60's with 3 older sisters, I grew up listening to the Beatles and loved everything they did. One of my sisters still has every 7" single and all the albums. I have a few of my own.

I was lucky enough to see Wings in concert in Brighton on my 18th Birthday. Amazing. Best family birthday party I have ever missed lol. :thumbsup:

In the last year at her Junior school, (year 6) my oldest daughter got to study the Beatles as part of the National Curriculum. She grew to love them too and bought a greatest hits CD of her own that she still has and plays on her i-pod. Sadly they didn't repeat those school lessons 2 years later when her little sister was in year 6, and she still hasn't discovered the magic of them yet.

Wow, Annabel, I can imagine how exciting it was for you to be attending a Wings concert! I'm :jealous: :wink:

Gosh, I wish The Beatles were part of my school studies!! Well, at least I got to share my obsession with my teachers and classmates: in Grades 10 and 12 I did orals on John Lennon, and in Grade 11 I did orals on Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

Mrs Frey
02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
The sad thing about growing old is that inevitably, I find myself longing for the years that I got only glimpsed as a result of the way I was raised. Oh, I knew what was going on, but I wanted to be a part of it instead of a spectator! On the other hand, I was privileged to be there when it was happening and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

Mike, spare a thought for me who was born in 1976 - I missed out on all my favourite eras of music while they were happening! :wink:

The Beatles were a big part of that period of Jr and Sr School for me. They were, well, different! I didn't really care much for anything other than Blues back before the Beatles. And I didn't win any popularity contests because of my infatuation with Blues Music....you can imagine what it was called by the kids I was in school with....kids are NASTY creatures and our school was no exception.

I hear you, Mike - my high (or senior) school years were at times nightmarish because of my passion for Elvis and The Beatles. I even got teased and made fun of when I sang and played guitar. It was only when I reached my final year that I started garnering some respect from my peers.

I cannot make any adverse comment about anything Mrs Frey documented.

Brilliant.

Thank you, Mike! That means a lot coming from you.

Freypower
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I also agree that Lennon and McCartney that are in a league all by themselves in terms of the quanity and quality of their body of work and definitely set the bar for all who followed.

Now, as far as Henley and Frey - while they were not that prolific in terms of the quantity of work they produced, the quality of their overall body of work is almost unsurpassed, IMHO.

I was a bit harsh on them. They are a superb songwriting team, as we all know; the very best Eagles songs are by them or with one extra collaborator.

Freypower
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Thank you, PM! Yes, John was in a creative resurgence when he was murdered. After his 5-year hiatus (when he spent time as a "househusband", raising his second son, Sean), he put out "Double Fantasy", which features wonderful songs like the aforementioned "Woman", "(Just Like) Starting Over" as well as "Watching The Wheels". The irony of this album is that it didn't sell as well as it could have before his death, due to the number of Yoko Ono songs on it as well (with apologies to all Yoko fans). The posthumous album, "Milk And Honey", also features songs that John recorded during that period.

I must say, I'm not really a fan of some of the work John put out just after The Beatles split. In my opinion, he was losing his musicality and becoming too focused on politics, which also landed him in some hot water. "Imagine" is the only album of his from the early '70s that I own.

Paul was the more commercially minded of the two, and reaped the benefits thereof. I'm also not a fan of everything Paul put out as a solo artist, but I think he pipped John to the post regarding commercial success, if we are to measure such things. Paul wrote some wonderful, tuneful songs post-Beatles, both with Wings and solo. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is just one example of such material.

I agree with this; I have struggled with the apparent orthodox line John = good; Paul = bad. The best solo Beatles album is Band On The Run; it is far more enjoyable than the sacred but didactic Imagine.

(There is a solo Eagles parallel here but I'm not going into that).

Freypower
12-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Favourite Beatles Vocals (I will restrict myself to five each):

John

Come Together
I Am The Walrus
Money (That's What I Want)
Strawberry Fields Forever
Help!

Paul

Hey Jude
Eleanor Rigby
I'm Down
Back In The USSR
Let It Be

George

Something
Here Comes The Sun
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Taxman
Love You To

Ringo

With A Little Help From My Friends
Don't Pass Me By
What Goes On
Octopus's Garden
Boys

That's what I call scraping the surface!

Mrs Frey
12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Interesting, FP! I'm not even going to attempt lists like this - I love so much of their vocals, it is just too difficult! :smile:

Scarlet Sun
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
(chronological order)

John:

No Reply
I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Strawberry Fields Forever
Baby You're A Rich Man

Paul:

What You're Doing
Tell Me What You See
Here There And Everywhere
Lovely Rita
Two Of Us

George:

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
I Need You
It's All Too Much
Long Long Long
Here Comes The Sun

Ringo:

Boys
Honey Don't
With A Little Help From My Friends
Good Night
Octopus's Garden

Freypower
12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
SS, of your list, No Reply is an absolute stormer as is You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. I considered Long Long Long but I wanted to acknowledge George's work on Revolver, my favourite album (I also strongly considered I Want To Tell You). Interesting that I haven't included one of John's Revolver vocals. They are all so brilliant; Tomorrow Never Knows, And Your Bird Can Sing, She Said She Said, Doctor Robert.

Scarlet Sun
12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
And Your Bird Can Sing could easily have made my list. In fact, there are very few Beatles songs I consider weak. Surprisingly, one of them made your list! Can you guess which one it is?

Freypower
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Don't Pass Me By?

Scarlet Sun
12-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Don't Pass Me By?
Actually, Don't Pass Me By almost made my list! Right Beatle, though . . .

Freypower
12-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Actually, Don't Pass Me By almost made my list! Right Beatle, though . . .

It can only be What Goes On then. I just like the way Ringo sings that song.

Scarlet Sun
12-19-2011, 07:44 PM
It can only be What Goes On then. I just like the way Ringo sings that song.
I like Ringo's singing, I just feel that the song itself is very weak, especially when it comes to the Beatles

Freypower
12-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I actually think that if I wrote the list again I would probably have Yellow Submarine instead of What Goes On but didn't think it was right to have both the kids' songs, great though they are. Or Act Naturally.

Topkat
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Tonight is the 49th Anniversary of the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show...Here some famous rockers recall how seeing the Beatles that night changed their lives when they decided they wanted to be in a rock band!:band:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-ed-sullivan-rock-stars-remember/

Topkat
02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Here is the full performance, 5 songs. I don't think performers ever get to do 5 songs on a tv show anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WHuRusAlw-Y

EagleLady
02-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Pretty cool!

Freypower
02-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Sometimes it's easy to forget the impact they had & are still having.

Outlawman13
02-25-2013, 07:20 PM
That's for sure. The Beatles are super super super amazing. For me, John's voice is the richest on there. I'm in love with his voice. I don't know which Beatles songs I love the most. They are wonderful.

tjrrockandrollmaster
03-02-2013, 03:53 AM
Paul McCartney with an all star band from 1999 featuring David Gilmour of Pink Floyd on lap steel, the late Mick Green on lead guitar, Ian Paice of Deep Purple on drums and Pete Wingfield on piano with the title cut to Paul's 1950s rock covers album Run Devil Run performed in 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xymG6decYJo

03-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for finding that - it is awesome!

tjrrockandrollmaster
03-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks for finding that - it is awesome!

Run Devil Run is a superb covers album and IMHO McCartney's best solo album since 1982's Tug of War (although Run Devil Run was mainly covers with three new tunes, including the track I shared, it was excellent plus a supergroup which was a supergroup (Paul with David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Ian Paice of Deep Purple, Pete Wingfield and the late Mick Green of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates)).

Freypower
10-22-2013, 12:56 AM
OK; I found this thread.

I realise that most people here who have commented prefer the Eagles' vocal blend to that of the Beatles. I would only say that I love the way the Beatles varied the type of harmonies they sang. I suppose this is preference only.

Compare the almost atonal hissing of 'that'ssss what I want' in Money and the raucousness of I'm Down to the achingly beautiful block harmonies of Because. Or the joyful choruses of Carry That Weight & Bungalow Bill, as opposed to the urgency of Help! & Eleanor Rigby. Then there is the way the three voices sound so soothing in Here Comes The Sun for example. Or how they comment on the narrative in Ticket To Ride & She's Leaving Home & Taxman. Or what they do in She Loves You & I Want To Hold Your Hand. Or....

Or Hey Jude. Wow. No more uplifting song has ever been written, in my opinion, and a lot of the power of it is due to the 'na, na, na' stuff at the end. Is it corny? Perhaps? Does it instantly make you want to sing along with it? Well, for me, yes it does.

This is extremely inadequate. Sorry. I had to say something though. They are too important to me for many reasons.

Prettymaid
10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
You're preaching to the choir here, FP! You know I love The Beatles. They are my all-time favorite band, including the Eagles. They did more in their short time together to progress rock music to so many different levels. I always think to myself, there would be no Bohemian Rhapsody without The Beatles. They paved the way for bands to experiment with all kinds of sounds.

That said, I still stand by my opinion that the Eagles have just about the best blend of vocals that I have ever heard, including The Beatles.

Brooke
10-23-2013, 10:04 AM
The Beatles - In my opinion they were OK but there have been many better bands since. I'm too young to remember Beatlemania. I always find it strange that in the US the Beatles are still revered like gods while here in the UK they are hardly mentioned anymore, and most people under 35 don't even know who they were. I guess that's why Paul McCartney does far more solo shows in the US than he does in the UK!

Gosh, never hear about the Beatles across the pond? Amazing! It seems we hear something about at least one of them every day!

And to me they are definitely legends and had a huge impact on rock music. But I only had the Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's albums back in the day. I only have the One cd now. Once in a while I will listen to it by myself, but never with my husband along. He isn't a fan at all. I've never bought any of their solo albums either. I have a few songs that I really love downloaded.

10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Very well said, PM. Except for your 3rd sentence, I feel EXACTLY the same way as you. However, as much as I love, appreciate, and admire The Beatles, the Eagles will always hold a special place in my heart as my all-time favorite band.

StephUK
10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Gosh, never hear about the Beatles across the pond? Amazing! It seems we hear something about at least one of them every day!

And to me they are definitely legends and had a huge impact on rock music. But I only had the Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's albums back in the day. I only have the One cd now. Once in a while I will listen to it by myself, but never with my husband along. He isn't a fan at all. I've never bought any of their solo albums either. I have a few songs that I really love downloaded.

I'm not really a fan either. I have a greatest hits cd, which I hardly ever play. I did have a vinyl copy of Rubber Soul, but don't know whether I still have it.

I like some of Lennon's solo songs. I'm not saying anything about McCartney, 'cos I know a lot of Borderers don't agree with me - I found that out in a previous thread!!

Brooke
02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Albums:

1. Revolver (my favourite album of all time)
2. The Beatles
3. Abbey Road
4. Rubber Soul
5. A Hard Day's Night
6. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
7. Let It Be (totally underrated)
8. Help!
9. With The Beatles
10. Beatles For Sale

I just watched CBS Sunday Morning and they did a segment on The Beatles and the upcoming tribute special.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-the-beatles-changed-everything/

My interest was really piqued and I think I will try to find some of these cds and get serious with them for a while! I've always liked a lot of their songs, just never been a huge fan and the only cd I have is One.

Fp, you list "The Beatles" album. There are two-62-66 and 67-70. Which one do you have at #2 or is there another one?

bluefeather
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
:yay::yay::yay: Beatles is my favorite band and it's great there'r special media coverage coming for the historical day 50(can you believe it) years ago

Brooke, the album Fp is refering to is "The White Album" officially known as The Beatles

Brooke
02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Ok, thank you bf!

Freypower
02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Brooke, if you want some recommendations, just ask. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about this band & how much pleasure they have given me & millions of others. I have a thing about Good Morning, Good Morning from Sgt Pepper at the moment. It sums up London in the late 60s. Also The Night Before from Help! which is a great pop song.

Brooke
02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Brooke, if you want some recommendations, just ask. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think about this band & how much pleasure they have given me & millions of others. I have a thing about Good Morning, Good Morning from Sgt Pepper at the moment. It sums up London in the late 60s. Also The Night Before from Help! which is a great pop song.

Fp, I just ordered Revolver, Abbey Road, and The White Album from Amazon! Gotta get started!

Freypower
02-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Fp, I just ordered Revolver, Abbey Road, and The White Album from Amazon! Gotta get started!

Fantastic. I can't wait to hear what your favourite tracks will be. Revolver is the greatest album of all time, by anybody, in my opinion.

bluefeather
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Revolver IS THE GREATEST EVER in my opinion too and frequently gets voted the best ever:yay:

02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
In Joe's forum, we've been discussing the Grammy's Salute to The Beatles show which aired last night on the 50th anniversary of their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. However, I thought I would make some general comments about the show as well.

I thought the show was very entertaining and most all of the performances were very inspiring. Other than Joe, Ringo, and Paul, my favorite performances were Alicia Keys and John Legend's rendition of Let It Be, Keith Urban and John Mayer performing Don't Let Me Down, and Ed Sheeran's (whom I'd never even heard of before) rendition of In My Life.

My only disappointments were that Julian Lennon was a no-show and that Sean Lennon didn't take the stage.

Freypower
02-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Revolver IS THE GREATEST EVER in my opinion too and frequently gets voted the best ever:yay:
A kindred sprit! What are your favourite tracks? If I had to just give five, they are:

Eleanor Rigby
Taxman
And Your Bird Can Sing
For No-One
Tomorrow Never Knows

and leaving the rest of it out is very hard.

Freypower
02-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Managed to find out more about Paul & Ringo's performances in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/arts/television/cbs-grammy-salute-belongs-to-mccartney-and-starr.html?_r=0

bluefeather
02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
SO HARD to choose! My favorites would have to be Eleanor Rigby and And Your Bird Can Sing and then For No One, She Said She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows

Topkat
02-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Another great Beatle album is Rubber Soul, has always been one of my favorites
:guitar::rockguitar::guitar:

bluefeather
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Yeah I like Rubber Soul a lot too, it has my favorite Beatles song In My Life

Freypower
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
There is no such thing as a bad Beatles album. As well as In My Life Rubber Soul contains one of my top ten favourite songs, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) as well as Girl, which I heard yesterday, & You Won't See Me. I could just sit here & list song after song & I wouldn't get tired of it.:faint:

bluefeather
02-12-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure Norwegian Wood would be in my top ten but probably at least in my top twenty, it's got some of my favorite lyrics

Brooklyn Roads
02-26-2014, 03:52 AM
I agree with this; I have struggled with the apparent orthodox line John = good; Paul = bad. The best solo Beatles album is Band On The Run; it is far more enjoyable than the sacred but didactic Imagine.

(There is a solo Eagles parallel here but I'm not going into that).

I agree. Paul put out more in his solo career than John, and his quality was better, too. Paul has always been more of a melodist. I find John's work to be more experimental, but makes you think. I love them both for what they offer (offered). But, I always lean more towards Paul's songs when it comes to Solo-Beatles music.

And, I love George Harrison's solo work, too.

Brooklyn Roads
02-26-2014, 03:56 AM
I first started heavily listening to the Beatles in late 1994, when their Anthology was airing on TV and the albums were out at the same time. Beatlemania was being resurrected with more oldies stations playing their music.

I think what astounded me was how much they changed with their musical styles over the course of ten years. They paved the way for so many others to experiment and be a truly relevant rock band.

My favorite album of theirs is the White Album, and Abbey Road is right behind it - although, sometimes I switch those two around depending on my mood!

I used to name "Hey Jude" my favorite song by the Beatles, but now, I can't quite pin point which one I deem my all time favorite. It really is dependent on my mood!

bluefeather
02-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I came to Beatles only 2-3 years ago and knew nothing about them but I've loved them fanatically since then:heart::) I don't have a favorite album but rather favorite songs, I haven't felt any big urge to listen to their solo works though I quite like Imagine album(and song!), I respect McCartney a lot for what he's done during his solo years, it's just not the kind of stuff I'd take a big interest in

Freypower
02-26-2014, 07:19 PM
You should at least have a listen to Band On The Run, which is one of the greatest albums ever made.

His latest album New is also worth a listen.

bluefeather
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I probably will at some point, also I did like songs off of Tug of War when I tried it on YT some time ago

Freypower
02-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Here is a link to the Paul McCartney thread. I listed my favourite songs but not my favourite albums. I don't actually have that many.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1772

Grego
02-28-2014, 01:13 AM
I would just like to put in a plug for George Harrison. He was an extremely gifted song writer whose talents,in the Beatles early years, was mostly put on the back burner by the record companies. They wanted Lennon and McCartney churning out the hits because that's where the money was. In later years when given more of an opportunity Harrison composed songs that certainly rivaled Lennon and McCartney's contributions! Just to name a very few "Something", "Here Comes The Sun",and" While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Also while being an adequate, but not great, guitar player his contributions to the Beatles sound is undeniable. He had the ability to harmonize so well with either Lennon or McCartney when the other sang lead and his voice blended well when they sang in three part harmony.

bluefeather
02-28-2014, 08:54 AM
I agree Harrison was much better than he ever got credit for and he's Beatle as well as solo songs like My Sweet Lord are first rate:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brooke
02-28-2014, 11:01 AM
My favorite George song is "If Not For You"! My husband and I sing it to each other whenever we hear it.

I tried to get my son and his wife play it at their wedding a couple years ago, but they chose a more recent Keith Urban one.

I've been listening to my new Beatles cds and am hearing some very different stuff! It will take a few more listens to decide on some of them whether I like them (the songs) or not! :lol:

Freypower
02-28-2014, 05:49 PM
I would just like to put in a plug for George Harrison. He was an extremely gifted song writer whose talents,in the Beatles early years, was mostly put on the back burner by the record companies. They wanted Lennon and McCartney churning out the hits because that's where the money was. In later years when given more of an opportunity Harrison composed songs that certainly rivaled Lennon and McCartney's contributions! Just to name a very few "Something", "Here Comes The Sun",and" While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Also while being an adequate, but not great, guitar player his contributions to the Beatles sound is undeniable. He had the ability to harmonize so well with either Lennon or McCartney when the other sang lead and his voice blended well when they sang in three part harmony.

I agree with this, except that I think George was a great guitarist. He was not flamboyant or overly technical but he made those songs what they were.

Grego
03-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Has anyone seen the Beatles LOVE show by Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas? If you are ever in LV do not miss this show at the Mirage Hotel!! George Martin, who produced the Beatles music and his son Giles, masterfully rearranged some of the tracks for certain songs and set the soundtrack to the most amazing sound system that I have ever heard. I get chills and goosebumps every time I hear the intro to Eleanor Rigby!! Both Paul McCartney and Ringo were very much hands on with this show! You will hear the Beatles in a way that you have never heard them before! Let me give just one example of how special this show is! One of the songs in the show is George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The version that George Martin uses is the actual version that Harrison initially brought to him! George H. wanted George M.'s opinion of the song! Martin recorded while George sang and played the song for him on an acoustic guitar! It even has a verse that was not on the released album version. George Martin later added orchestra music and uses the song in the show!

The Cirque Du Soleil performers are giving their interpretations of each song's meaning. There is the usual incredible acrobatic talents of CDS with the visual spectacle of the show but it is the magnificent sound system that steals the show!! If you grew up with the Beatles, as I did, I can all but guarantee you that it will be a very pleasant emotional 90 minute experience!!

Freypower
03-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Has anyone seen the Beatles LOVE show by Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas? If you are ever in LV do not miss this show at the Mirage Hotel!! George Martin, who produced the Beatles music and his son Giles, masterfully rearranged some of the tracks for certain songs and set the soundtrack to the most amazing sound system that I have ever heard. I get chills and goosebumps every time I hear the intro to Eleanor Rigby!! Both Paul McCartney and Ringo were very much hands on with this show! You will hear the Beatles in a way that you have never heard them before! Let me give just one example of how special this show is! One of the songs in the show is George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". The version that George Martin uses is the actual version that Harrison initially brought to him! George H. wanted George M.'s opinion of the song! Martin recorded while George sang and played the song for him on an acoustic guitar! It even has a verse that was not on the released album version. George Martin later added orchestra music and uses the song in the show!

The Cirque Du Soleil performers are giving their interpretations of each song's meaning. There is the usual incredible acrobatic talents of CDS with the visual spectacle of the show but it is the magnificent sound system that steals the show!! If you grew up with the Beatles, as I did, I can all but guarantee you that it will be a very pleasant emotional 90 minute experience!!

The original version with the extra verse appears on the Anthology 3 CD.

irga
03-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Wow, when it comes to the Beatles, I can talk for ages. I first listened to them when I was 13, so it was... well, some time ago;-) This was Help album and I fell immediatly in love with it, with this sweet and harsh, at the same time, voice of John, with their harmonies, melodies... This love continues up to this day, although, as some of you might have noticed, I've been going through a period of obsession with Timothy B. Schmit recently ;-) It is really difficult to say which LP or which song of theirs I like most; it seems that it depends on my mood. I used to love John the most, but when I got to know George better I definitely came to the conclusion that the two kings (Paul and John) didn't let him spread his wings in the band (Gee, do we know it from somwhere? Maybe this is too far an association, but in my opinion Timothy's story is very similar. Very talented, but always in the back, with maximum two songs on one CD). Look what happened when the Beatles broke - George published immediatly his own "All Things Must Past" (is this a great thing!), which is in fact a TRIPLE album! I wish Timothy would publish his next solo album soon! By the way, although I can't really name my best Beatles song, I do have my favourite one of George's. It's "Beware of Darkness".
Last year was very particular for me - in April my close friend, also Beatles crazy, and me went to Liverpool to see and touch everything connected with the Fab Four. This was an absolutely fantastic journey, both educationally and emotionally. And in June Paul McCartney came to Warsaw with a fantastic concert. I was totally in heaven.
Well, OK, this is still an Eagles message Board, so I'd better stop now. Anyways, I'd like to say that I'm glad I've found a place like this, where people are friendly and open and may speak about their music fascinations freely:-)

Freypower
03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Wow, when it comes to the Beatles, I can talk for ages. I first listened to them when I was 13, so it was... well, some time ago;-) This was Help album and I fell immediatly in love with it, with this sweet and harsh, at the same time, voice of John, with their harmonies, melodies... This love continues up to this day, although, as some of you might have noticed, I've been going through a period of obsession with Timothy B. Schmit recently ;-) It is really difficult to say which LP or which song of theirs I like most; it seems that it depends on my mood. I used to love John the most, but when I got to know George better I definitely came to the conclusion that the two kings (Paul and John) didn't let him spread his wings in the band (Gee, do we know it from somwhere? Maybe this is too far an association, but in my opinion Timothy's story is very similar. Very talented, but always in the back, with maximum two songs on one CD). Look what happened when the Beatles broke - George published immediatly his own "All Things Must Past" (is this a great thing!), which is in fact a TRIPLE album! I wish Timothy would publish his next solo album soon!
Last year was very particular for me - in April my close friend, also Beatles crazy, and me went to Liverpool to see and touch everything connected with the Fab Four. This was an absolutely fantastic journey, both educationally and emotionally. And in June Paul McCartney came to Warsaw with a fantastic concert. I was totally in heaven.
Well, OK, this is still an Eagles message Board, so I'd better stop now. Anyways, I'd like to say that I'm glad I've found a place like this, where people are friendly and open and may speak about their music fascinations freely:-)

No need to stop; yes, this is an Eagles message board, but this is a topic about the greatest band of all, the Beatles. Say as much as you like & then you will prompt me to do the same. Not enough can be said about them. I did the Beatles tour on my last visit to Liverpool.

I heard This Boy yesterday - those perfect, passionate harmonies send me into overdrive every time.

Grego
03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
The original version with the extra verse appears on the Anthology 3 CD.

Yes, the song does appear on Anthology 3 but that version is of George Harrison playing and singing the song acoustically with Paul McCartney playing organ! Anthology wasn't released until the 1990's. '96 I think. What I meant was that when the song was released on the white album it did not have a verse that George Martin recorded when Harrison first performed the song solo for him. That version is the one used in the LOVE show with the addition of the orchestra and not McCartney's organ. The version in the LOVE show is on the LOVE The Beatles DVD.

irga
03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I did the Beatles tour on my last visit to Liverpool.
Fantastic! :-)
Did you take the National Trust tour and see the Beatles Childhood homes? I was so tearful standing there, in John's room, imagining him playing this old guitar... I also liked the Fab Four Taxi ride, the driver was so knowledgeable and nice, and kind... must say, in awe of our familiarity with the Beatles facts :-)

I heard This Boy yesterday - those perfect, passionate harmonies send me into overdrive every time.Oh, this is a perfect example of their harmonies! I guess this is why I like the Eagles, too: the Beatles harmonies got imprinted in my heart and mind at an early age and now I am very sensitive to them. Gosh, all of the Eagles do it so fine!
By the way, have you noticed the ending of Desperado on HFO? ;-) :headbang:

Freypower
03-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Yes, the song does appear on Anthology 3 but that version is of George Harrison playing and singing the song acoustically with Paul McCartney playing organ! Anthology wasn't released until the 1990's. '96 I think. What I meant was that when the song was released on the white album it did not have a verse that George Martin recorded when Harrison first performed the song solo for him. That version is the one used in the LOVE show with the addition of the orchestra and not McCartney's organ. The version in the LOVE show is on the LOVE The Beatles DVD.

I wasn't implying the version in Love is the one on Anthology 3. I was just mentioning that the A3 version does have the extra verse.

Freypower
03-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Fantastic! :-)
Did you take the National Trust tour and see the Beatles Childhood homes? I was so tearful standing there, in John's room, imagining him playing this old guitar... I also liked the Fab Four Taxi ride, the driver was so knowledgeable and nice, and kind... must say, in awe of our familiarity with the Beatles facts :-)

Oh, this is a perfect example of their harmonies! I guess this is why I like the Eagles, too: the Beatles harmonies got imprinted in my heart and mind at an early age and now I am very sensitive to them. Gosh, all of the Eagles do it so fine!
By the way, have you noticed the ending of Desperado on HFO? ;-) :headbang:

When I did it the tour wasn't run by the National Trust - I did the Magical History Tour where you saw the childhood homes from the bus.

It's not Desperado that has the Day Tripper riff in HFO - it's either In The City or Life In The Fast Lane, I think.

irga
03-08-2014, 05:04 AM
It's not Desperado that has the Day Tripper riff in HFO - it's either In The City or Life In The Fast Lane, I think.

Of course! :brickwall: "In the City"! Must have been too late (or too early) when I was writing that...

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Oh irga your(and other's) Beatles passion is music to my ears, I too could spend hours talking about them even if my Beatles love is only about three years old!

BTW I saw the "making of" of Beatles Love maybe 2 years ago and I was swept away, would be AMAZING to see the actual show sometime

Freypower
03-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Also please note the line in my signature comes from one of their greatest songs, Come Together. This won't make sense tomorrow as I will change the signature then!

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
love your signature Fp! a line well chosen

Grego
03-09-2014, 11:42 PM
BTW I saw the "making of" of Beatles Love maybe 2 years ago and I was swept away, would be AMAZING to see the actual show sometime[/QUOTE]

I hope that you will have the chance to see LOVE!

A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

Grego
03-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Do you remember the very first Beatles record that you owned? Was it one that youbought? Was it a gift? In 1963, when I was 13, my father came came home from work one day with two 45 rpm Beatles records and handed them to me! The irony of this is that my dad HATED rock and roll music! He happened to be with a friend after a business meeting and after having a bite to eat his friend asked my dad if he minded stepping in the music store because had promised his daughter that he would buy her a record by some singers from England! My dad not having a clue who the Beatles were brought home "Please Please Me"/Ask Me Why and"From Me To You"/Thank You Girl". Both of these records were on the Vee-Jay record label and both were released in 1963 before the Beatles signed with Capitol Records! I had to doa little research to find the year. This predates their first Ed Sullivan Show appearance which as everyone knows was in 1964. Unfortunately Both of those records and several Beatles albums (33 1/3) are no longer in my possession. While I was off at a Boy Scout Jamboree at Valley Forge my sister " loaned" my records to a friend who was having a dance party and I never saw them again!! I think it was 2 years ago when I began speaking to her again!

Freypower
03-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Yes. Mine was A Hard Day's Night. My uncle bought it when it was released as a present. I was 4 years old. I had no interest in listening to it until I got to my late teens & started listening to the Beatles then (although I was a huge fan of McCartney's Wings work since Band On The Run in 1973 when I turned 13). The album is now one of my favourites - a masterpiece. I also have a very battered mug with their faces & signatures on it from the same era.

http://watermarked.heritage-images.com/1651368.jpg

irga
03-10-2014, 05:38 AM
The first LP I heard when I was 13 was "Help". Then my craze started and I bought those two LPs:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/rokitka/Other/1966_zpsba6fcd96.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/rokitka/Other/1970_zps3c3754f5.jpg

As you see this was quite a collection of their work across the years. Then I decided I shouldn't limit myself to collections that somebody else created based on their own choices and started to buy records one by one, from "Please Please Me" on. Just for the record, this was a very difficult task as at that time there was hardly anything in Polish stores, not to mention Beatles albums... Anyways, family friends who managed to travel abroad used to bring me Beatles LP every time they were in GB or Germany.
Those were horrible times (the eighties) here. :brickwall:

irga
03-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Little off-topic, but since this is the Beatles thread at the Border, I'd like to ask if anybody could tell me something about this photo:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/rokitka/PDVD_434_zpsd6fbbe3e.jpg

All I can see is Timothy having a great time recording with the two other guys, AND - the photos on the walls! Anobody knows where it was taken? (Could it be Timothy's studio?) Who's such a huge fan of John Lennon?
BTW - what a fantastic photo...

bluefeather
03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
:inlove::inlove: What a great pic! I know Timothy is a Beatles fan but I don't know if he's specifically into Lennon, hmm:eyebrow:

Grego
03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes. Mine was A Hard Day's Night. My uncle bought it when it was released as a present. I was 4 years old. I had no interest in listening to it until I got to my late teens & started listening to the Beatles then (although I was a huge fan of McCartney's Wings work since Band On The Run in 1973 when I turned 13). The album is now one of my favourites - a masterpiece. I also have a very battered mug with their faces & signatures on it from the same era.

http://watermarked.heritage-images.com/1651368.jpg

I love the mug FP!! I believe the first piece of Beatles paraphernalia that I owned was a binder for loose leaf sheets of paper for school! It had a picture of the group on the front with The Fab Four written underneath lol

bluefeather
03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Oh very fine looking mug you have Fp!

Freypower
03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
The first LP I heard when I was 13 was "Help". Then my craze started and I bought those two LPs:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/rokitka/Other/1966_zpsba6fcd96.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o292/rokitka/Other/1970_zps3c3754f5.jpg

As you see this was quite a collection of their work across the years. Then I decided I shouldn't limit myself to collections that somebody else created based on their own choices and started to buy records one by one, from "Please Please Me" on. Just for the record, this was a very difficult task as at that time there was hardly anything in Polish stores, not to mention Beatles albums... Anyways, family friends who managed to travel abroad used to bring me Beatles LP every time they were in GB or Germany.
Those were horrible times (the eighties) here. :brickwall:

I started with Red & Blue too before I started buying the albums!

Freypower
03-10-2014, 06:20 PM
For a very limited time here is Abbey Road Studios in 1996 & me walking across the famous crossing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Miscellaneous/AbbeyRoad.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Miscellaneous/AbbeyRoad2.jpg

Grego
03-10-2014, 09:18 PM
I am really envious of you and that picture!! I would give anything to cross that street and see Abbey Road building! I was in London in 1969 on a Foreign Study League trip with my high school but it was very structured and the chaperones would not let us go off on our own. That's the very first place I would have headed! Did you know that there is a present day video camera set up there that feeds live video to your computer. My friend Caroline who goes by the name Sprout here lives in England and told me about it a couple of years ago. For a while I had it on my old laptop. I could watch people walking about and cars driving by. There were always tourists walking across taking pictures. I'm not sure if it is still in operation.

Witchy Woman
03-11-2014, 01:08 AM
I am really envious of you and that picture!! I would give anything to cross that street and see Abbey Road building! I was in London in 1969 on a Foreign Study League trip with my high school but it was very structured and the chaperones would not let us go off on our own. That's the very first place I would have headed! Did you know that there is a present day video camera set up there that feeds live video to your computer. My friend Caroline who goes by the name Sprout here lives in England and told me about it a couple of years ago. For a while I had it on my old laptop. I could watch people walking about and cars driving by. There were always tourists walking across taking pictures. I'm not sure if it is still in operation.

Yes. Yes it is.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/crossing

irga
03-11-2014, 02:22 AM
For a very limited time here is Abbey Road Studios in 1996 & me walking across the famous crossing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Miscellaneous/AbbeyRoad2.jpg

Yes! This is one of those photos that every Beatlemaniac is dreaming of... :thumbsup: Lucky you!

irga
03-11-2014, 04:55 AM
I started with Red & Blue too before I started buying the albums!

:thumbsup:
They helped to test the waters before deciding which record to buy first. :-) Anyways, it was a perfect start to my Beatles collection.

bluefeather
03-11-2014, 09:56 AM
I want to go to London!!!

Brooke
03-11-2014, 10:15 AM
The red one is the only Beatles vinyl I ever had. I'm working on that now!

Fp, what a cool photo to have! I love it and so hope to walk that crossing someday! My husband has actually told me to take a trip to England and see the sights, which will include a Beatles tour. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! :thumbsup:

chaim
03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm a Beatles fan, but I think they're in a position no human being should be allowed to be in. That is a position where one is above all criticism. Even Paul seems to believe this. He once mentioned criticism of the so called "White album" (my favorite Beatles album by the way) and said, "It's the bloody Beatles White Album, so SHUT UP!".

Personally I would place Led Zeppelin above Beatles, but anyway...I LOVE Beatles, but they do have many songs that suck, but no one is allowed to say that. If "Golden earth girl" was a Beatles song, it would be considered one of their best songs. But since it's on a McCartney album from the early nineties, it's "not as good as the Beatles". So this is ridiculous.

I tend to love a lot of the lesser know tracks that Lennon hated, although he wrote them! "Glass onion" and "Dig a pony", which are, of course, nonsense songs lyrically. But there's this atmosphere. They probably were one of the greatest bands ever, but they shouldn't be above criticism.

"I am the walrus" is fantastic, as is "Penny Lane". "You know my name (look up the number)" is fabulous!!

bluefeather
03-11-2014, 04:06 PM
I agree nobody should be above criticism and while I think the Beatles are a little over-rated I don't believe they are completely above criticism(people are too fond of criticizing everything for that:eyebrow:)

Anyway, I like Dig a Pony and I Am the Walrus a whole lot too and think Glass Onion is a GREAT track in its own way.:)

chaim
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
I agree nobody should be above criticism and while I think the Beatles are a little over-rated I don't believe they are completely above criticism(people are too fond of criticizing everything for that:eyebrow:)

Anyway, I like Dig a Pony and I Am the Walrus a whole lot too and think Glass Onion is a GREAT track in its own way.:)

I probably came across as a "Beatles skeptic" in my post above. I must admit that I am a rather hopeless Beatles fan. :hilarious: It is my style to usually start with the negative stuff. "The Beatles recording sessions" book is one of my dearest possessions.:mrgreen:

Freypower
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm a Beatles fan, but I think they're in a position no human being should be allowed to be in. That is a position where one is above all criticism. Even Paul seems to believe this. He once mentioned criticism of the so called "White album" (my favorite Beatles album by the way) and said, "It's the bloody Beatles White Album, so SHUT UP!".

Personally I would place Led Zeppelin above Beatles, but anyway...I LOVE Beatles, but they do have many songs that suck, but no one is allowed to say that. If "Golden earth girl" was a Beatles song, it would be considered one of their best songs. But since it's on a McCartney album from the early nineties, it's "not as good as the Beatles". So this is ridiculous.

I tend to love a lot of the lesser know tracks that Lennon hated, although he wrote them! "Glass onion" and "Dig a pony", which are, of course, nonsense songs lyrically. But there's this atmosphere. They probably were one of the greatest bands ever, but they shouldn't be above criticism.

"I am the walrus" is fantastic, as is "Penny Lane". "You know my name (look up the number)" is fabulous!!

OK then... which Beatles songs suck, in your opinion having taken note of your last post?

For me there are only a couple; Hold Me Tight & Revolution 9. Some of the very early pop stuff like Little Child, while not great, I excuse due to youthful experience. I am not a fan of McCartney's 'vaudeville' stuff like Honey Pie & Your Mother Should Know but overall, what is there really to criticise? All Together Now isn't great. Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Mr Moonlight... A couple of Ringo's vocals...it's nitpicking.

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is a classic & I love Dig A Pony. I love Dig It as well.

I love Zeppelin but I have to be in a Zep mood, whereas I am in a Beatles mood 100% of the time!

bluefeather
03-11-2014, 06:30 PM
I am a fierce fan myself but I don't approve of quite a lot they did and I think it's good to bring up their shortcomings every now and then. So being a little skeptical fan isn't at all bad IMO. I wouldn't say any of their songs suck though but that they have several mediocre ones.

chaim
03-11-2014, 06:59 PM
OK then... which Beatles songs suck, in your opinion having taken note of your last post?

For me there are only a couple; Hold Me Tight & Revolution 9. Some of the very early pop stuff like Little Child, while not great, I excuse due to youthful experience. I am not a fan of McCartney's 'vaudeville' stuff like Honey Pie & Your Mother Should Know but overall, what is there really to criticise? All Together Now isn't great. Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Mr Moonlight... A couple of Ringo's vocals...it's nitpicking.

You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) is a classic & I love Dig A Pony. I love Dig It as well.

I love Zeppelin but I have to be in a Zep mood, whereas I am in a Beatles mood 100% of the time!

You mentioned "Little child"... If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"Tell me why", "I'll cry instead", "When I get home, "I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl", "Wait", You won't see me", "Love you to", "Yellow submarine", "Doctor Robert", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", ""Don't pass me by", "Cry baby cry", "Only a Northern Song", "It's all too much"...

Now, let me tell you just one more thing. Here in Finland we make sure that people start hating the Beatles when they're young. How do we do it? We use this music book in schools where the Beatles song is Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. (There may also be Let It Be) We keep singing that in classrooms with our pupils until we're certain that yet another generation hates the Beatles.

irga
03-11-2014, 07:57 PM
If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl","Yellow submarine", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", "Cry baby cry"...
Now tell me please this is a weird kind of joke. On the other hand, it's amazing (and interesting) how people differ in perceiving things. :-) "I'm a Loser" is one of the best from Beatles for Sale for me!

Now, let me tell you just one more thing. Here in Finland we make sure that people start hating the Beatles when they're young. How do we do it? We use this music book in schools where the Beatles song is Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. (There may also be Let It Be) We keep singing that in classrooms with our pupils until we're certain that yet another generation hates the Beatles.
Sorry to hear that.
Anyways, this is an Eagles Message Board, so I'm not going to elaborate on this. Still, I hope there're some young people in Finland who can truly appreciate the music for what it is ;-) School, or not school. :razz:

Freypower
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
You mentioned "Little child"... If the following songs weren't by the Beatles, I don't think many people would "give them the time of day". They aren't mentioned often even now:

"Tell me why", "I'll cry instead", "When I get home, "I'm a loser", "Baby's in black", "I don't want to spoil the party", "Another girl", "Wait", You won't see me", "Love you to", "Yellow submarine", "Doctor Robert", "When I'm 64", "Lovely Rita" (I love the lyric), "Baby, you're a rich man", "Ob-la-di, ob-la-da", "The continuing story of...", ""Don't pass me by", "Cry baby cry", "Only a Northern Song", "It's all too much"...

Wow. Those first four are amongst my absolute favourites (especially I'm A Loser). How in the world can anyone not like Doctor Robert & You Won't See Me? Good grief. I am afraid we are now going to have to agree to disagree, because ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. The people in Finland would be much better off using Maxwell's Silver Hammer if they want an example of a song that isn't so good.

I would rather talk about what songs I like than what I don't like so I will leave it there.

Grego
03-11-2014, 10:58 PM

I find this hard to believe! If it is true then it is very sad. You say that you are a Beatles fan yet you use the pronoun WE in your explanation of "people start hating the Beatles" as if you yourself are part of that mind set. To me that is contradictory! Care to explain?

chaim
03-12-2014, 07:06 AM

I find this hard to believe! If it is true then it is very sad. You say that you are a Beatles fan yet you use the pronoun WE in your explanation of "people start hating the Beatles" as if you yourself are part of that mind set. To me that is contradictory! Care to explain?

I was just being sarcastic. It never comes through in writing. We love the Beatles here, but at the same time we do our best so that the following generations will hate them. I was just joking. I should have put a :hilarious: in there.

And, above all, the Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da has only the Finnish lyrics in the music books I've seen - music books for early grades. The Finnish version is just awful. The original is humorous, but the Finnish translation is dead serious. It doesn't present the Beatles very well! In fact one of my friends, who's about 45 years old, still hates the Beatles, and he says it's because of such a music book at school when he was young. Usually there's a jolly picrute of the young Beatles as well with the Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da song.

I say "music book", but I don't know what it is in English. I mean a normal school book that people use. There are transcriptions of songs as well as information.

irga
03-12-2014, 07:14 AM
I would rather talk about what songs I like than what I don't like so I will leave it there.

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

chaim
03-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Wow. Those first four are amongst my absolute favourites (especially I'm A Loser). How in the world can anyone not like Doctor Robert & You Won't See Me? Good grief. I am afraid we are now going to have to agree to disagree, because ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. The people in Finland would be much better off using Maxwell's Silver Hammer if they want an example of a song that isn't so good.

I did mention songs that I like. I mentioned both. I was a little harsh with that list, I see that now. And they don't actually "suck" (except "Not a second time" does IMO). I'd like to withdraw that.

My point was that there are an awful lot of Beatles songs that are hardly ever mentioned, so they may not have a huge audience. A lot of these are my favorite Beatles tracks. Of course for every song there are people who love them. But it seems to me that most people just accept that they were somehow perfect, even though some songs were greater than others - like with any group.

I love these songs, for example:

She loves you
Any time at all
It won't be long
There's a place
No reply
Most of Rubber soul
Eleanor Rigby
Almost the whole Help! album
Most of the so called "White album"
Blue Jay Way
and so on and so on....

Personally there are more Beatles songs I like than songs I don't like.

Basically I'd like to remove the exaggeration from my posts. I must have been out of my mind last night. I apologize for my behavior.

Grego
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I was just being sarcastic. It never comes through in writing. We love the Beatles here, but at the same time we do our best so that the following generations will hate them. I was just joking. I should have put a in there.

:hilarious::hilarious:

bluefeather
03-12-2014, 03:05 PM
I only got to sing untranslated Beatles songs at music classes as far as I remember but I think I have seen some stupid Finnish translations somewhere:eyebrow:
Yeah and let's talk more about the songs we DO LIKE:)

I personally like the early stuff not because of their sophistication(they were relatively simple and not so great lyrically) but because of the unique feeling of the boy's energy and enthusiasm. Out of the early ones There's a Place is a favorite of mine and It's Only Love which Lennon hated but I like because of the way he sings it:hilarious:

Grego
03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=bluefeather

There are just sooo many great songs! I have always loved "Hey, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. Nowhere Man. If I Fell. John and Paul's harmony on that song is wonderful.

In an interview once George Martin talked about what a perfectionist John was when it came to the final end result of a song. He says that John was never completely satisfied with Strawberry Fields. He kept telling George Martin that he could sing better! George M. kept telling John that his singing was maybe the best that he had sang on any record. John insisted that his singing was not right for the song and the group had to tell him individually that it was ready to release but John agreed very reluctantly.

Freypower
03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I did mention songs that I like. I mentioned both. I was a little harsh with that list, I see that now. And they don't actually "suck" (except "Not a second time" does IMO). I'd like to withdraw that.

My point was that there are an awful lot of Beatles songs that are hardly ever mentioned, so they may not have a huge audience. A lot of these are my favorite Beatles tracks. Of course for every song there are people who love them. But it seems to me that most people just accept that they were somehow perfect, even though some songs were greater than others - like with any group.

I love these songs, for example:

She loves you
Any time at all
It won't be long
There's a place
No reply
Most of Rubber soul
Eleanor Rigby
Almost the whole Help! album
Most of the so called "White album"
Blue Jay Way
and so on and so on....

Personally there are more Beatles songs I like than songs I don't like.

Basically I'd like to remove the exaggeration from my posts. I must have been out of my mind last night. I apologize for my behavior.

There is no need to apologise, chaim. You have explained it now. Except that Not A Second Time is a great track.

More random favourites of mine:

BF, I also love It's Only Love. I think it's a beautiful melody & sentiment.
One After 909 - they wrote this in the early days but didn't record it until Let It Be. Listen to John & Paul. They were about to split but they sound like they're having the time of their lives.
Good Morning Good Morning - London in the Swinging 60s!
I'll Be Back - this is just beautiful.
I'm So Tired - John at his most world weary.
For No-One - people who think Paul was a gooey sentimentalist should listen to this clear eyed dissection of the end of an affair (see also You Won't See Me).

bluefeather
03-12-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm So Tired is a funny track, especially the line about Sir Walter Raleigh, For No One is one my favorites off of Revolver and I don't think it's sentimental at all

Freypower
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm So Tired is a funny track, especially the line about Sir Walter Raleigh, For No One is one my favorites off of Revolver and I don't think it's sentimental at all

That's my point. For No-One is not sentimental. It is the complete opposite.

Grego
03-12-2014, 07:14 PM
"For No One" is another one of my favorites! I'm sure most of you already know this but Paul sings the song in concert on the " The Space Within Us" DVD.

irga
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
It's a hard task for me, a life-long fan of The Beatles, to choose my favorite Fab Four songs. With every turn of my mood the list changes. Anyways, let's give it a try.

A Day In the Life
Long Long Long
Across the Universe
I'm So Tired
I Am the Walrus
Hey Bulldog
Something
Penny Lane
Tomorrow Never Knows
Norwegian Wood

That's the top ten for today ;-)

chaim
03-13-2014, 03:21 AM
It's a hard task for me, a life-long fan of The Beatles, to choose my favorite Fab Four songs. With every turn of my mood the list changes. Anyways, let's give it a try.

A Day In the Life
Long Long Long
Across the Universe
I'm So Tired
I Am the Walrus
Hey Bulldog
Something
Penny Lane
Tomorrow Never Knows
Norwegian Wood

That's the top ten for today ;-)

I love every song on this list, except I'm So Tired. It's good, but not a "WOW!" experience for me. But the reason I'm quoting is this post is Hey Bulldog. It's amazing. Once again it's one of those "nonsense lyric" songs that Lennon usually hated after writing them, but I love it. There's this edge, or whatever it is in English.

chaim
03-13-2014, 03:41 AM
I only got to sing untranslated Beatles songs at music classes as far as I remember but I think I have seen some stupid Finnish translations somewhere:eyebrow:

I personally like the early stuff not because of their sophistication(they were relatively simple and not so great lyrically) but because of the unique feeling of the boy's energy and enthusiasm. Out of the early ones There's a Place is a favorite of mine and It's Only Love which Lennon hated but I like because of the way he sings it:hilarious:

Yeah, I saw a rather recent "music book" for lower grades, and even that had OB-LA-DI OB-LA-DA, and only in Finnish. The beginning goes something like:

Elämältä halua en enempää, vaikka siltä vähän ehkä sain
Multa turha kysyä on kenen pää noin täällä lisää parkuu aina valittain

"Enempää"/"Kenen pää":blush:
And how many filler words can one fit into one sentence: "noin täällä lisää aina"...The translator was a great lyricist, but this is not a great piece of work, and worst of all, it doesn't capture the humour of the original version. And it says Lennon/McCartney. The translator's name is also mentioned of course, but this serious-and-also-clumsy Finnish lyric doesn't represent the Beatles very well! The song was originally a light, tongue-in-cheek tune. When it's in a book like that, for people who don't know anything about the Beatles, I think it's a very bad decision. That book may have contained Let It Be too, however, with the original lyric.

And this is an issue for me only because I love Beatles so much. I'll end my complaining here, I give my word.:mrgreen:

bluefeather
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
"noin täällä lisää aina" is UNBELIEVABLY bad, one of the worst combination of filler words you could possibly have for sure! Enempää/Kenen pää is stupid too but funny in a way:eyebrow::hilarious:

bluefeather
03-16-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm listening to Hey Bulldog and I just remembered it's one of my absolute favorites and I'd also say it's a great Lennon nonsense song

WalshFan88
03-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Top 10 Beatles songs...hmmm.

Here Comes The Sun (always been my fav)
Get Back
I Am The Walrus
I Saw Her Standing There
I Feel Fine
Revolution
In My Life
Drive My Car
Paperback Writer
Hey Jude

bluefeather
03-17-2014, 06:03 PM
I like your list Austin :)

Brooke
03-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Fantastic. I can't wait to hear what your favourite tracks will be. Revolver is the greatest album of all time, by anybody, in my opinion.

Ok, I've been listening to this album and my other two quite a lot for the past few weeks and I will start by reviewing Revolver, since most here like it the best. I'm too new to decide that yet, but will try to rate the songs as far as how much I like them. Since I really didn't know much Beatles music other than their bigger hits, I found it very surprising, to say the least! I still can't reliably pick out who is singing which song sometimes. I guess Paul's voice stands out the most to me and I think his is the one I prefer. I've made up my own rating system based on one we used here somewhere, but couldn't find it to use exactly, so this is as close to it as I can remember!

Love it-5 stars
Really like it-4 stars
Like-3 stars
It's ok-2 stars
Meh, moving on-1 star
Hate it-0 stars

Taxman-A familiar song but I didn't know George sang it. I figured it was Paul for some reason. 3 stars

Eleanor Rigby-Paul-One of my favorite Beatles songs-5 stars

I'm Only Sleeping-John-Shocked by weird music-what is that instrument?-2 stars

Love You To-George-more weird music-2 stars

Here, There and Everywhere-Paul-Very pretty song-4 stars

Yellow Submarine-Ringo-Very popular, but I can't say I really like it, it's silly!-1 star

She Said She Said-John-Pretty-3 stars

Good Day Sunshine-Paul-a good sing along song-4 stars

And Your Bird Can Sing-John-3 stars

For No One-Paul-3 stars

Doctor Robert-John-What?-1 star

I Want To Tell You-George-2 stars

Got To Get You Into My Life-Paul-4 stars

Tomorrow Never Knows-John-more weird stuff-1 star

I didn't know they were so 'in' to experimenting with different instruments and was pretty shocked by some of it! At least I didn't 'hate' any of them!

Fp, what makes this album the greatest album of all time for you? I'm thinking it will take years for me to get used to some of this! I'd also like to know what you think of each song, when you have the time.

Freypower
03-19-2014, 05:14 PM
I think you have approached it very well for a first listen. Your comments are appropriate given that you didn't know this was the start of the experimental period. I will write something more detailed later, but briefly I think it's the greatest album of all time because of the stunning inventiveness & variety of these songs. There is not one weak track (IMO) whereas Sgt Pepper, great though it is, is slightly weakened by the vaudeville of When I'm 64 & George going a bit too far with the Indian music in Within You Without You (none of the other Beatles even play on that track). Let me think about it & I'll get back to you (to coin a phrase).

chaim
03-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm Only Sleeping-John-Shocked by weird music-what is that instrument?-2 stars

Perhaps you mean the guitar solo that is played backwards?

irga
03-19-2014, 06:20 PM

That was also my guess.

Brooke
03-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Is that what it is? How do you play a guitar solo backwards? And why would you want to.

Maybe this wasn't the best album for me to start with. See, I didn't know it was the beginning of their experimental phase. I probably should have started with their very first album or one that has my more familiar songs on it, like Please Please Me or Love Me Do.

chaim
03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Is that what it is? How do you play a guitar solo backwards? And why would you want to.

Maybe this wasn't the best album for me to start with. See, I didn't know it was the beginning of their experimental phase. I probably should have started with their very first album or one that has my more familiar songs on it, like Please Please Me or Love Me Do.

George played a solo and the recording was played backwards. If you play the song backwards, you can hear what George actually played (I haven't done this!).

It's a sound thing, I believe. When you record something on the guitar and then play the recording backwards, it may produce a sound that the musicians might like to hear. However, I think it was more like "hey, let's try this" in the case of I'm Only Sleeping.

There are two different ways to do this. You can either play "just something", without thinking that much, then turn it backwards and it's there. Whatever the melody is going to be like backwards is what you'll get.
OR if you have a certain melody in mind, but you want that backwards sound, here's what you do: 1) Record the part, 2) Listen to it backwards and learn how to play it that way, 3) Record the part, playing the melody backwards, 4) THEN turn the tape (or digitally) backwards and you have the original melody you had in mind, but with a strange sound. I did this once with the words "...I dance away" (whatever it means) in a song of mine. I learned to sing the melody and the lyric backwards, and then recorded it that way - singing it backwards slowly. THEN I turned the recording backwards, and it was like a voice from a grave saying, "I DUAAANCE AWYAAAAYYYYY". It was hilarious.:hilarious:

Incidentally, Revolver is not a favourite of mine. I appreciate the experimentation during the recording process, but the actual songs I don't care that much for - except for Here, There And Everywhere, Eleanor Rigby and a few others.

Brooke
03-20-2014, 01:16 PM
chaim, thanks for the explanation. I think I'm more in to their earlier albums than this experimental phase. Maybe over time it will grow on me.

bluefeather
03-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I enjoy the experimental stuff but I too feel it's quite a lot to take in, I love their earlier stuff too

chaim
03-20-2014, 05:16 PM
chaim, thanks for the explanation. I think I'm more in to their earlier albums than this experimental phase. Maybe over time it will grow on me.

They did get "back to basics" for one album later on. Check out this tune. Lennon hated it, like he hated all his songs that had nonsense lyrics. But I like the melody and the atmosphere in this song. They are playing live as a band with Billy Preston - I believe - on keyboards.
This is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjuswQVf86s

irga
03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Incidentally, Revolver is not a favourite of mine. I appreciate the experimentation during the recording process, but the actual songs I don't care that much for - except for Here, There And Everywhere, Eleanor Rigby and a few others.

Chaim, so what's your favorite Beatles album? Is it possible to point the one and only at all? ;-) I don't even try to do that, since I have a problem with choosing even my favorite songs. Just like you, I have my best songs in each album (and EP and a single). The most I can do is just to state that so called "late phase" of The Beatles in my favorite FOR NOW. See, such gems as A Day In The Life, "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love" or "Tomorrow Never Knows", to name a few. But not that long time ago, shortly after I visited Liverpool, I was all in the late 50s and early 60, endlessly humming "Inspite Of All the Danger" to myself :-)

irga
03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
They did get "back to basics" for one album later on. Check out this tune. Lennon hated it, like he hated all his songs that had nonsense lyrics. But I like the melody and the atmosphere in this song. They are playing live as a band with Billy Preston - I believe - on keyboards.
This is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjuswQVf86s

Oh, I love that tune, too! By the way, Lennon hated his voice, always thought it's not good enough. Can you believe that? :shock:
On "Let It Be" album there is also another early song of theirs, "One after 909". Nice reference to their beginings. Maybe Brooke will like that, too. :thumbsup: ;-)

chaim
03-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Chaim, so what's your favorite Beatles album? Is it possible to point the one and only at all? ;-) I don't even try to do that, since I have a problem with choosing even my favorite songs. Just like you, I have my best songs in each album (and EP and a single). The most I can do is just to state that so called "late phase" of The Beatles in my favorite FOR NOW. See, such gems as A Day In The Life, "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love" or "Tomorrow Never Knows", to name a few. But not that long time ago, shortly after I visited Liverpool, I was all in the late 50s and early 60, endlessly humming "Inspite Of All the Danger" to myself :-)

Yes, it's hard to name a favorite album, but if I had to, it would be either The Beatles (aka The White Album) or Let It Be. Help is a great album too. I love ALMOST every song to death on that album.
But Revolver as an album feels a bit cold to me somehow. Maybe there's too much experimentation in the production, trying to bury the actual songs, I don't know.

Incidentally, an acquaintance of mine once pointed out, when I played Dig A Pony to him, that the chorus is like the chorus in Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends. And he was right! I'd never noticed that. I guess John liked the chorus in that version and subconsciously borrowed it for Dig A Pony.:hilarious:

Freypower
03-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I cannot agree that the experimentation in Revolver buries the songs. This is far more true for the White Album.

Revolver is my favourite Beatles album not because of the experimentation, though I enjoy hearing it, but for the quality of the songs which for me is unsurpassed. My favourite Beatles era is mid period & that is where I put Revolver.

As promised I will now write a quick track by track review. I am not trying to convert or convince anybody. I won't rate the songs either because the majority of them are five stars.

Taxman - George's swipe at the British government's ridiculously high tax rates. Those who think of George as a gentle mystic need to hear this. Great guitar solo by McCartney (NB: I won't be writing much about the music because I am not qualified to do so).

Eleanor Rigby - work of art; the best popular song ever written about loneliness & death is up there with T.S. Eliot. Given urgency by the strings & poignancy by the vocals.

I'm Only Sleeping - John is all world weary in a waltz tempo. This may be more revealing of how he felt than more famous songs like Strawberry Fields Forever.

Love You To - a sleeper. George's Indian tunes take time to assimilate but when they do, they are worth the effort.

Here, There & Everywhere - one of the finest love songs of all time .

Yellow Submarine - essential; greatest kids song of all time (again). The backing vocals & sound effects are straight out of George Martin's work with the Goons.

She Said, She Said - John gets paranoid. Great guitar work. It sweeps you up; I can't describe it.

Good Day Sunshine - classic Beatles feel good song; wonderful piano.

And Your Bird Can Sing - uplifiting guitar anthem. One of my absolute favourites but hard to say why.

For No One - like Eleanor Rigby this is a dissection of a situation, in this case the end of a relationship, which is like a novel. She no longer needs you. That's the end of it.

Doctor Robert - he's a man you must believe! He also sells pills to the stars in 60s London! Proof that they didn't really buy all the hippie dream stuff & could see through charlatans (see also Sexy Sadie on the White Album). Great tune.

I Want To Tell You - George's turn to lift us up in an exhilarating love song which as usual has wonderful harmonies & the 'I've got time' Indian style mantra at the end.

Got To Get You Into My Life - Paul does Motown/R&B. It is supposedly about the joys of discovering LSD but you don't have to listen to it that way. It just sounds good.

Tomorrow Never Knows - the summit of psychedelic music which features possibly Ringo's finest drumming performance.

That was inadequate. I should have gone into more detail, quoted more lyrics... I don't know.

chaim
03-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Oh, I love that tune, too! By the way, Lennon hated his voice, always thought it's not good enough. Can you believe that? :shock:
On "Let It Be" album there is also another early song of theirs, "One after 909". Nice reference to their beginings. Maybe Brooke will like that, too. :thumbsup: ;-)

One After 909 is a lot of fun. About two chords, but a nice melody and a funny lyric. I love how Paul and John sing that long "Weeeeeellllll!!" before they start each verse. It's so funny.:hilarious:

By "experimentation" on Revolver I meant sounds, not instrumentation. Some of it is a bit cold sounding somehow IMO - like they were experimenting with EQ, compression and other technical stuff. I could be wrong though. I've also noticed that the cover of an album affects how I feel about the music. I find the Revolver cover a bit messy, so maybe that also subconsciously affects the way I feel about the musical content.

irga
03-21-2014, 04:05 AM
That was inadequate. I should have gone into more detail, quoted more lyrics... I don't know.

Oh, FP, this is an absolutely fantastic review and I must tell you that I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. Nevertheless this doesn't mean Revolver is my best one - I guess I'd write similar notes on every Beatles' album, since each of them contains the songs I love. I also like your remark about the "George being a mystic" cliche. Gosh, he was such a great, multidimensional person. Only now, being 40+ (but still 50- ;-) ) do I manage to appreciate his personality. Before, it was mainly John that I admired, an extravert rebel with a soft, vulnerable and sweet edge, hiding behind his glasses. Now I've come to treasure more introvert natures, kind and observing, asserting themselves in different ways (does it have anything to do with my love for Timothy? 8))
Anyways, thanks FP for your post. It would be a pleasure for me to read your opinions on other Beatles' albums :-)

chaim
03-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Here are John's own comments on Did a Pony:

"I was just having fun with words. It was literally a nonsense song. You just take words and you stick them together, and you see if they have any meaning. Some of them do and some of them don’t ”

From a website with Beatles song stories:

"I just make it up as I go along." In September 1980, he laconically concluded, "(just) another piece of garbage."

Seems to me that if the lyric of a song was nonsense, then he didn't remember the song with affection - although musically it might be great.

bluefeather
03-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I am very fond of Dig a Pony's lyrics and I think it rocks too, besides if you listen and really THINK it's not total nonsense

about Tomorrow Never Knows: I like it because it's weird, Lennon's voice is thrilling and mind twisting(don't know really what to call it) and the "seagull" sounds are an eccentric pleasure

Freypower
03-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Oh, FP, this is an absolutely fantastic review and I must tell you that I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. Nevertheless this doesn't mean Revolver is my best one - I guess I'd write similar notes on every Beatles' album, since each of them contains the songs I love. I also like your remark about the "George being a mystic" cliche. Gosh, he was such a great, multidimensional person. Only now, being 40+ (but still 50- ;-) ) do I manage to appreciate his personality. Before, it was mainly John that I admired, an extravert rebel with a soft, vulnerable and sweet edge, hiding behind his glasses. Now I've come to treasure more introvert natures, kind and observing, asserting themselves in different ways (does it have anything to do with my love for Timothy? 8))
Anyways, thanks FP for your post. It would be a pleasure for me to read your opinions on other Beatles' albums :-)

I'm glad you liked it. I could have been more detailed & more passionate but there's a limit. I agree about George (although Paul is my favourite).

Regarding Dig A Pony I think it's very clever; it has similarities to All You Need Is Love. Love that 'All I want is you'!

Previous mention of One After 909; what a song. Like Two Of Us from the same album it can make you believe that John & Paul would be together forever. It's like the end of Gone With The Wind. You KNOW she'll get him back.

irga
03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Previous mention of One After 909; what a song. Like Two Of Us from the same album it can make you believe that John & Paul would be together forever. It's like the end of Gone With The Wind. You KNOW she'll get him back.

Unfortunatelly, we'll never get to know John's thoughts and feelings about Paul. What we do know is how Paul feels about John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkzgAJbfme8

I'm always close to tears while listening to this song.

Brooke
03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Fp, thanks for your review! It was great and helped me to understand more of what the Beatles were all about with it.

All of this discussion about their songs is helping me a lot, so thanks everyone. I will continue with my journey!

WalshFan88
03-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Good review FP.

My favorite Beatles album is Abbey Road. I like most of them though, except perhaps the White Album.

bluefeather
03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm just curious Austin, why don't you like the White album? It's certainly not my favorite either and a bit of a mess in my opinion but I like many of its songs.

Freypower
03-24-2014, 04:35 PM
The White Album is even more experimental than Revolver & I would guess that puts a lot of people off. A lot of the songs are very personal & quriky & don't really sound like The Beatles as people imagine them to be. I rate it just after Revolver, Sgt Pepper, A Hard Day's Night & Abbey Road. It took me a long time before I really appreciated it & I still have no time for Revolution 9.

bluefeather
03-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I agree it doesn't sound like the Beatles as a unit and that probably bothers especially the original fans. Also now when I think about it I understand that the amount of experimental songs can be off-putting though I view Revolver as the more experimental of the two. On the other hand the White Album can be called the more experimental one because of all the weirdness like Revolution 9 in it. I just think Revolver has more weird sound effects and backward recording etc. and that's why it feels more experimental to me.

WalshFan88
03-24-2014, 06:44 PM
FP pretty much said it for me - it's too experimental for my tastes. My favorite off of it would be "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Blackbird as a close second but otherwise it's just not my thing. I actually prefer Revolver but Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper are still my faves. Even Magical Mystery Tour.

irga
03-25-2014, 03:16 AM
Maybe White Album is not as coherent as one would expect, nevertheless it definitely shows all the directions the Beatles were investigating musically at that time. That's why it's so interesting for me. There are also great tunes on it, here are my favorites (I don't number them on purpose, just follow the order from the album):

*Glass Onion
*The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"
*While my Guitar Gently Weeps
*Happiness Is a Warm Gun
*Martha My Dear
*I'm So Tired
*Blackbird
*I Will
*Sexy Sadie
*Helter Skelter
*Long Long Long (one of the finest and definitely underrated)
*Cry Baby Cry

Quite a list :-)

Freypower
03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
This is mine but it is slightly different. I Will is one of my least favourite Beatles songs & Martha My Dear is a bit too much of McCartney whimsy. This is in order:

1. Back In The USSR
2. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4. I'm So Tired
5. Helter Skelter
6. Glass Onion
7. Blackbird
8. Yer Blues
9. Birthday
10. Sexy Sadie

buffyfan145
03-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Just saw some really cool Beatles news that a TV miniseries is in development (http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-fifth-beatle-the-brian-epstein-story-the-beatles-novel-series-sonar-entertainment-1201715561/) telling Brian Epstein's story!!! :D It's being adapted from an award winning graphic novel "The Fifth Beatle" and according to the article they've been given permission to use the Beatles music. I know there were two other movies about Brian that were in the works (one with Benedict Cumberbatch and the other with Nicholas Hoult) but both seemed to have stalled. I think this sounds great and Brian's story deserves to be told, so hopefully it's picked up by a network soon. :)

SilverAcidRayne
03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Just saw some really cool Beatles news that a TV miniseries is in development (http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-fifth-beatle-the-brian-epstein-story-the-beatles-novel-series-sonar-entertainment-1201715561/) telling Brian Epstein's story!!! :D It's being adapted from an award winning graphic novel "The Fifth Beatle" and according to the article they've been given permission to use the Beatles music. I know there were two other movies about Brian that were in the works (one with Benedict Cumberbatch and the other with Nicholas Hoult) but both seemed to have stalled. I think this sounds great and Brian's story deserves to be told, so hopefully it's picked up by a network soon. :)

That would be awesome. He was very important to them. and it would be interesting to know more of his background.

buffyfan145
03-09-2016, 10:22 AM
I agree!!! :D I've been hoping for a film since that one with Benedict was announced a couple years ago but a miniseries is even better. I'm also going to have to check out the graphic novel.

And just saw about George Martin passing. :(

SilverAcidRayne
03-09-2016, 04:32 PM
I agree!!! :D I've been hoping for a film since that one with Benedict was announced a couple years ago but a miniseries is even better. I'm also going to have to check out the graphic novel.

And just saw about George Martin passing. :(

I know. it's so sad.

buffyfan145
05-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Ron Howard just made a new Beatles documentary (http://deadline.com/2016/05/hulu-ron-howard-beatles-documentary-docu-films-arm-1201748820/) called "The Beatles: Eight Days a Week" and it will not only get a theatrical release but it will be on Hulu as well!!! :D It's the first of documentaries Hulu is getting for their documentary division. They are also going into music and concerts too but haven't announced which artists they're working with yet.

Ron's doc is about The Beatles in their touring years (1962-66) and how all of that worked. He's also gotten rare backstage videos and photographs and Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison all are working with him as are others that got interviewed. It should also have a DVD release as well as most of Hulu's shows do later, and since it will be in the theater as well. It's supposed to be released sometime this fall.

Brooke
05-04-2016, 01:20 PM
That's cool! I hope to see it!

FWIW
08-29-2016, 11:01 AM
I just heard on the radio that today marks the 50th anniversary of the last Beatles concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7487991/beatles-candlestick-park-concert-50-years

The stadium was demolished back in 2014. It was quite fitting that Paul McCartney was the closing act.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/08/15/paul-mccartney-closes-candlestick-park-site-of-last-beatles-show/13974791/

Annoying Twit
08-29-2016, 11:06 AM
I hope to see the documentary. But, will it be heavily sanitised? Will they address the issues of drugs, groupies, prostitutes, and the like?

Topkat
09-20-2016, 10:38 AM
I learned many things about the Beatles from the new movie "Eight Days A Week" A must see for anyone who ever gave a hoot about the Beatles.

First, they refused to play in any segregated venue, as was done in the south in the early 60's. They insisted on an integrated audience & fair seating for all.

Second: All Beatles had an equal say in anything the Beatles did. Even though John & Paul were writing 90% of the music, Ringo & George had equal say in whatever they did.

This struck me to compare this to the Eagles, who became a battle for control & money by Henley & Frey, who thought they "deserved " more money than the others..... I always thought this was unfair, & is what caused most of the fights & eventual break up of the band. I think the Beatles had it right, & kept it all equal, where the Eagles became a battle over control & fights over money. In retrospect, maybe they would have done things differently, as this created so much tension in the band, it became impossible to continue.

Of course the Beatles didn't last very long as a band, but they made an impression on the world that was unstoppable, undeniable & unmatched by ANY other band that followed them. They were the first & they started it ALL.
Go see this movie. The footage of them at the first stadium concert in 1965 at Shea Stadium is priceless!
Lovely insight to the band & how they handled the mania created over them.

Topkat
09-20-2016, 10:51 AM
I hope to see the documentary. But, will it be heavily sanitised? Will they address the issues of drugs, groupies, prostitutes, and the like?

To answer this, It is about the tours, NOT about the personal lives of the Beatles, This is NOT the story they are telling.

The Eagles doc, didn't get much into this stuff either,but this is called "The Touring Years", which is only about the shows, the travels, the Beatlemania.

It said nothing about the girlfriends, wives,or drugs, etc. It was from when they started as kids at the Cavern Club at only about age 16 & ends at the last concert at Candlestick park.
It somehow leaves you wanting more, but I hear Ron Howard wants to do another doc to pick up where this leaves off.
Remember the Beatles did several albums in the studio, after the live shows ended that they never toured

Annoying Twit
09-20-2016, 11:04 AM
To answer this, It is about the tours, NOT about the personal lives of the Beatles, This is NOT the story they are telling.

Erm, what I described happened on the tours. I was wondering if they would mention it. I guess not. Not that I particularly want it mentioned.

Brooke
09-20-2016, 01:16 PM
I want to see this. I was surprised that they never toured after the Candlestick Park show, but continued making albums for a while. Was that in 1969 or what year?

NightMistBlue
09-20-2016, 01:34 PM
1966 I believe it was. I'm not a particular fan it's just one picks up this stuff.

Annoying Twit
09-20-2016, 01:55 PM
They could have played live, as they demonstrated in 1969 on the roof of the Saville Row building. If I remember correctly, John Lennon in the 1970s said 'If you want The Beatles, go and see Wings'. The 1976 Wings tour was a pretty good live band, IMHO, and some sort of replacement for not seeing any later Beatles live shows.

I've always wanted to see The Bootleg Beatles, the full show. They play at a local venue quite often. I should go.

Topkat
09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Erm, what I described happened on the tours. I was wondering if they would mention it. I guess not. Not that I particularly want it mentioned.

Not really, In the beginning, in 1963, they toured without the girlfriends. I believe John pretended he was single. There may have been minimal pot use, but it ends in 1966. I believe the real drug use comes in a bit later, They were isolated & had to be hidden due to the fans raiding the hotels, trying to get to them & only did interviews, tv shows & concerts. They were rather sheltered & controlled. They were just mobbed everywhere they went. I don't think there were groupies or hookers along for the ride. Only people with them were managers, road crew & Epstein. They needed protection as you will see in the film. It was a lot of work,& they were also very young & seemed even naive. You can see how the world just fell in love with them...Not just the music, but the personalities in their interviews.

Topkat
09-20-2016, 04:34 PM
I recall one funny incident. They were doing an interview. George was sitting behind John smoking a ciggy. There was lots of cigarette smoking going on. He just flicked his ashes right on John's hair.... John looked up & brushed the ashes out of his hair, but George continued the antics & was giggling. It was just cute & funny, John didn't seem upset, They were like little kids goofing around

buffyfan145
09-20-2016, 04:43 PM
I can't wait to see this!!! :D I've heard nothing but good things about it, which I was hoping for since I love Ron Howard's films too. Really looking forward to the Shea Stadium footage too. I don't have Hulu but the DVD will be out November 18th. :D

Annoying Twit
09-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Not really, In the beginning, in 1963, they toured without the girlfriends. I believe John pretended he was single. There may have been minimal pot use, but it ends in 1966. I believe the real drug use comes in a bit later, They were isolated & had to be hidden due to the fans raiding the hotels, trying to get to them & only did interviews, tv shows & concerts. They were rather sheltered & controlled. They were just mobbed everywhere they went. I don't think there were groupies or hookers along for the ride. Only people with them were managers, road crew & Epstein. They needed protection as you will see in the film. It was a lot of work,& they were also very young & seemed even naive. You can see how the world just fell in love with them...Not just the music, but the personalities in their interviews.

Erm, the drugs started with speed during the Hamburg days. There have been quite a few incidences of various Beatles (and ex-Beatles) admitting to their exploits with groupies, etc, during tours. The same from groupies - e.g. Jenny Kee. The film 'A Hard Days Night' showed a very sanitised version of their life. What happened in real life was different.

NightMistBlue
09-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think they were in the red-light district in Hamburg. And I read they did a lot of speed to stay awake and play for hours and hours every night.

Topkat
09-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Erm, the drugs started with speed during the Hamburg days. There have been quite a few incidences of various Beatles (and ex-Beatles) admitting to their exploits with groupies, etc, during tours. The same from groupies - e.g. Jenny Kee. The film 'A Hard Days Night' showed a very sanitised version of their life. What happened in real life was different.

Do you really think that is what Ron Howard wanted to portray in this? Like I said, it was about the tours & Beatlemania, Not about a few pills or a few girls they slept with, Geesh, that is not what this is about, It was about how they became famous, where they went, Interviews & shows they did like Ed Sullivan. Things that were so important, Like how they changed music & the music industry forever, \ Hell the Eagles sure glossed over that trash in their History of the Eagles. So much dirt left out....
If you are looking to read the dirt, go read one of the many books out there which are filled with half truths & incidents nobody can prove, This was about the music, mainly about the music! It was excellent. Besides, much of that is nobody's business. Do you want your high school escapades with drugs, sex & booze written for the world to see?? Nobody does & much of it is probably exaggerated.

Ron Howard made a class act documentary with lots of behind the scenes interviews & footage that has never been seen.
Why do people always need to hear all the dirt on people????
Why tarnish them when they did so much good for the music industry?

Annoying Twit
09-21-2016, 02:24 AM
I wasn't expecting that Ron Howard would make a film covering the seedier aspects of The Beatles touring. In fact, I expected it to be sanitised. This happens a lot with The Beatles. E.g. John Lennon was incredibly talented. But, he is very far from being the saint that he is portrayed as in much media.

WS82Classics
09-23-2016, 08:35 PM
The Beatles are probably the only band able to compete against the Eagles for the top slot, IMO. After 12 years of enjoying them, I can honestly say that I have almost managed to perfect the English accent. Watched the George Harrison documentary "Living in the Material World" Wednesday, and it was a very illuminating portrayal of his life. Quite touching. One of the best documentaries out there, and I look forward to the new one that's soon to come out about the Beatles' touring days.

My all-time favourite Beatles songs, to the extent that one can really come up with a definitive list:

1. It's All too Much(I bought a Steve Hillage LP recently which had a cover of this song on it)
2. Old Brown Shoe(my mantra for life)
3. Fixing a Hole
4. Octopus' Garden
5. Baby, You're a Rich Man
6. Here, There, and Everywhere
7. Here Comes the Sun
8. Love You to
9. With a Little Help from My Friends
10. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
11. Hey, Bulldog
12. Long, Long, Long
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Please, Please Me
15. Things We Said Today

5 favourite Harrison solo songs:

1. "What is Life?"
2. "This Song"
3. "My Sweet Lord"
4. "Faster"
5. "That's the Way it Goes"

5 favourite Lennon solo songs:

1. "Mind Games"
2. "Nobody Told Me"
3. "Number 9 Dream"
4. "Instant Karma"
5. "Woman"

5 favourite McCartney solo songs:

1. "Wonderful Christmastime"
2. "Band on the Run"
3. "Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five"
4. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey"
5. "Let 'Em In"

The Starr songs I like are "It Don't Come Easy," "Photograph," and "You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful, and You're Mine."(that one always sounds like Bob Seger right at the beginning)

Freypower
09-25-2016, 07:14 PM
You have a very interesting & quirky list of favourite Beatles songs there, WS (I'm not sure how else I can abbreviate your name)? Obviously the Yellow Submarine period which many people dislike is a favourite era of yours.

Can I ask why Wonderful Christmastime is your favourite McCartney song?

WS82Classics
09-25-2016, 09:37 PM
You have a very interesting & quirky list of favourite Beatles songs there, WS (I'm not sure how else I can abbreviate your name)? Obviously the Yellow Submarine period which many people dislike is a favourite era of yours.

Can I ask why Wonderful Christmastime is your favourite McCartney song?

As to McCartney, his is probably my least favourite solo career of all of the Fab Four. For most of his songs, I listen to them once and generally don't have another urge to push play on them for weeks at a time. With 'Christmastime,' I enjoy that one immeasurably the one month of the year I listen to it(and I don't do the "Christmas in July" nonsense), so it's probably the easiest one for me to choose as a #1 for him. For the others, I went with some of his non LOL hit songs and a deeper track I like.

My musical tastes are certainly my own. I won't deny my preference for the more excursionary, psychedelic Beatles("Revolver to "Let it Be") as opposed to the straight-ahead pop rock of their earlier days("Please Please Me" to "Rubber Soul"). Tend to go with the songs that possess deeper, more personal meanings for me and weave appealing lyrical and musical tapestries as opposed to either the radio station playlists or all-time rankings by magazines such as Mojo, Rolling Stone, or Uncut.

For as much as I like the two listed “Yellow Submarine” tracks, the album itself is actually quite underwhelming. Of all the rest of the songs, discounting the Classical pieces and the two re-packaged hits, “Only a Northern Song” is remarkable only for the Hammond B3 Organ solos. The song was apparently written about the song's structure, which is a mind-bender for me. “All Together Now” is garbage, pure and simple.

Regarding how one might shorten my user ID, that's entirely your choice. I'm certainly not in the business of telling people how to address me. WS works, as does WS82, WS82C, or any other way one might conjur up.

WS82Classics
10-04-2016, 09:39 PM
After giving it some more thought, I'll add some songs to my favourite songs list and make it a full top 20 deal.

Without further ado...

16. And Your Bird Can Sing
17. Yesterday
18. Day Tripper
19. I'll Follow the Sun
20. Doctor Robert

Listened to the Steve Hillage LP I mentioned up-thread, and his cover of the Harrisong "It's All too Much" both holds true to the original and also jams it out a bit. A perfect balance. His cover of Beatle compatriot Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpYgU5u2ogQ

I'll be doing a Beatles solo tie-in at some point on his own thread, but Harry Nilsson("One," "Everybody's Talkin'," "Without You," and "Coconut") got early notice for his own Beatles covers. In fact, that's how he got the attention of NEMS agent Derek Taylor, who passed Nilsson's music over to the Fab Four for their enjoyment.

She's Leaving Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDOzpal5mOs
You Can't Do That: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue0Mf7_EHk8
Mother Nature's Son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YVoltI3_t4

The Beatles and the Eagles are far and away my top two bands. For most of this year, the Eagles have held a strong hold on the top spot. Having said that, right now, I can almost certainly say that the Beatles have, through slow, steady, and hard work over the years, emerged as a slightly better band than the Eagles. :grooving:

Jonny Come Lately
12-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Just been listening to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon and remembered about a little 'Easter egg' that I think The Border's Beatles fans will like. It's on the album's final track, Eclipse (although I couldn't find an Eclipse video with good enough audio to hear this clearly. To hear this Easter egg, skip to 5:20 and turn the volume up LOUD. You will hear the famous line (from Abbey Road Studio doorman Gerry O'Driscoll) about there being no dark side of the moon, but if you listen in the background you can hear an orchestral cover of Ticket To Ride. You can start to hear this while O'Driscoll is speaking but you can continue to hear this until the song ends.

Brain Damage/Eclipse
(with Ticket To Ride 'Easter egg')
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAgLZcyBnU

O'Driscoll was one of a number of people in and around the studio who were interviewed. The band asked questions such as 'are you afraid of dying' and 'when did you last get in a fight'? I think what must have happened is that the Ticket To Ride cover was being recorded while O'Driscoll was being interviewed, and was unintentionally picked up by the microphone. It seems unlikely that it would have been done deliberately, and they got an absolute gem of a quote in a highly distinctive voice. At normal volume it isn't very noticeable, so they probably decided to leave it (if they noticed it at all). I've also read that Paul and Linda McCartney were among those interviewed, but none of their answers were used.

buffyfan145
12-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks JCL!!! :D I never knew that was there and that's really cool.

NightMistBlue
12-05-2016, 05:14 PM
I've also read that Paul and Linda McCartney were among those interviewed, but none of their answers were used.

Oh. So that is not Linda's voice saying, "That geezer is cruisin' for a bruisin'"? Who was it, Gilmour's wife? I think her name was Ginger. She was - is! - American.

Jonny Come Lately
12-05-2016, 07:29 PM
A quick search reveals that the 'cruisin' for a bruising' line was by Patricia Watts, the second wife of Floyd roadie (and father of Naomi Watts), Peter Watts:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20211

It would have been news to me if it was Ginger or any of the Floyd's other spouses (can't remember whether Roger was still with Judy Trim at this time or not) were on the album, but I'd honestly never thought until now who that voice belonged to. I definitely remember reading that Linda's contributions weren't used so I knew it wasn't her, but had no idea apart from that.

MortSahlFan
12-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Roger Waters said the McCartney's were very guarded, and didn't use anything they said.

NightMistBlue
12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
I learned something new today (and that bit about Naomi's dad - I love her!). Thank you, gentlemen.

buffyfan145
12-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Couldn't find a thread for Ringo but just saw he's going to be knighted by the Queen in the New Years Honors!!! :yay: Now he and Paul will both be Sirs.

Freypower
12-24-2017, 07:39 PM
About bloody time.

Congratulations to Sir Richard Starkey!!!:yay:

shunlvswx
12-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Congrats to Ringo or Sir Richard Starkey.

Magnolia
12-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Finally! Congratulations to Sir Richard. :rockon:

NightMistBlue
12-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder if he'll go by Sir Ringo or Sir Richard. Or maybe he won't use it at all, some people don't. I don't think Kenneth Branagh is being billed in his movies as Sir Kenneth Branagh.

Freypower
12-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder if he'll go by Sir Ringo or Sir Richard. Or maybe he won't use it at all, some people don't. I don't think Kenneth Branagh is being billed in his movies as Sir Kenneth Branagh.

No, nobody actually uses the title in their professional lives. I imagine he will be Sir Richard but everyone will just continue to call him Ringo, just as his former bandmate is Paul.

When I last saw the Rolling Stones the programme listed an assistant to 'Mr Jagger' even though he's been Sir Mick for quite some time now.

12-28-2017, 07:35 PM
My congrats to Sir Richard as well. I have to agree this is long overdue.

New Kid In Town
12-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Congratulations to Ringo ! A long over looked honor.

Dawn
12-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Great news for Ringo!!!