PDA

View Full Version : 10 IMO Most Underrated Eagles Songs that are great ones

thelongrun
04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
These are mine's, trying to mention 1 per Album:

1. Nightingale (Try dancing this while you cook in the kitchen)
2. Take the Devil (that's gotta be no matter makes 2 from Eagles 1)
3. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado(Reprise)
4. My Man
5. Visions
6. Try and love again
7. King of Hollywood
8. Get over it
9. What Do I do with my heart
10. Sorry, Can’t leave out Frey’s I found somebody :fear:

AzEaglesFan
04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I'll try and come up with 9 more but I agree with you that Try and Love Again is a great song and I listen to it all the time

Freypower
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Perhaps I Found Somebody is underrated, and perhaps we could start another thread for each member's solo work.

If we are going to do one or a couple per album:

1. Chug All Night
2. Certain Kind Of Fool
3. Outlaw Man
4. Good Day In Hell
5. Too Many Hands
6. Try & Love Again
7. King Of Hollywood
8. Learn To Be Still
9. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
10. You Are Not Alone

It's interesting that three of mine are Meisner songs.

sodascouts
04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Great topic! Here's mine:

1. Most of Us Are Sad
2. Out of Control
3. My Man
4. Ol' 55
5. Too Many Hands
6. Victim of Love
7. Those Shoes
8. Seven Bridges Road
9. Get Over It
10. You Are Not Alone

Troubadour
04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
1. Saturday Night
2. Learn To Be Still
3. Outlaw Man
4. Get Over It
5. Center Of The Universe (it seems to be overlooked in LROOE discussions)
6. Good Day In Hell
7. Ol' 55
8. King Of Hollywood
9. The Long Run (I have developed a much deeper appreciation for this song lately. I love Don's soulful delivery, and the lyrics are very sharp.)
10. Most Of Us Are Sad

Maleah
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.....after much careful thought.....only in order of album release

1. Nightingale (Eagles)

2. Certain Kind of Fool (Desperado)

3. On The Border (<-same title) - I love the beat and the vocals, especially their little add on's at the end, and the guitar solo at the end...which I believe is Glenn....awesome!

4. Too Many Hands (One of These Nights) [It was close between that and "After The Thrill Is Gone" though!]

5. Victim of Love (Hotel California)

6. The Long Run (<-same title) - Like Troub, I LOVE the soulful way Don sings this! And it's even more AWESOME live! I know a few people would rather they drop it and sing something else, but I hope they never do because I love it!

7. King Of Hollywood (The Long Run) - LOVE the beat and feel of this song. But when I REALLY listened to it I think I realized that I was wrong all along on who was singing which parts. :hilarious:

8. Those Shoes (The Long Run)

9. Learn To Be Still (Hell Freezes Over)

10. Center of the Universe (Long Road Out Of Eden) - Obviously I've said that I've fallen in love with this song. SO beautiful! Love the harmonies between Don and Glenn

Koala
04-21-2009, 01:25 AM
without certain order:

Learn To Be Still
Ol´55

Outlow Man
My Man
Most of Us Are Sad
Out of Control
Center Of The Universe
Get over it
Try and Love Again
Victim of Love

TimothyBFan
04-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Love this topic and also agree would be great to do each solo works also.

1. Chug All Night (Eagles)-- Catchy little tune me thinks
2. Certain Kind Of Fool (Desperado)
3. On The Border (On The Border)-- I know it gets some play time but think it should of been a bigger hit than it was.
4. To Many Hands (One Of These Nights) --just think this song should of gotten more respect and been released as a single. JMO.
5. King Of Hollywood (The Long Run)--I truly believe this should of been a HUGE hit for them.
6. Those Shoes (The Long Run) - Again, a hit but should of been bigger. Listen to the opening!! How Cool!!!
7. Get Over It (Hell Freezes Over)--come on!! This should of been played on every rock station in the nation!!
8. Learn To Be Still (Hell Freezes Over)- just beautiful
9. Somebody (LROOE) - personally didn't appreciate it till I saw it live the first time--Glenn Rocks It!!
10. Fast Company (LROOE) - I know most will disagree, but I just think this is a very, for lack of a better word, unique & different song.

amusefilms
04-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Okay, here’s mine

1) On The Border
2) Tryin’
3) Out of Control
4) Nightingale
5) Try and Love Again
6) My Man
7) Hollywood Waltz
8) Good Day In Hell
9) King Of Hollywood
10) Earlybird

This is really fun. Wonder if someone would dare to make the “less than par” list…might get too many people upset.

sodascouts
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Feel free to start such a thread if you like amusefilms. Admittedly it could get a bit heated as people defend certain criticized songs, but we don't make it personal around here. ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow - this is a great topic, tlr. But, holy crap, I'm going to have to give this A LOT of thought in order to keep it to a list of 10 songs. And amusefilms, I think a "less than par" thread would also be interesting.

ticky
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
hmm.. Great topic.. dunno how I missed it, anyway, like ALL the others like this one, this isnt a complete list and it will probably change before too long, but here goes..

1. Hollywood Waltz ~ I LOVE this song!
2. Try and Love Again ~ Randy's voice, the tune, the lyrics, there's just nothing bad about this song.
3. Disco Strangler ~ *G* I know this one isnt popular, but it rocks!
4. Greeks dont want no Freaks ~ again, I know this one isnt popular and it's kind of their bow to the entire "Animal House" genre, but with lyrics like "They found her in the bushes with the boys in the band.." SUCH alliteration! Such visualization! SOOOO where I would be! hehehehe ~ I just love it.. its fun!
5. Out of Contol, Bitter Creek, Twenty One, Doolin Daltons, Doolin Dalton/ Desperado reprise, Certain Kind of Fool, Outlaw Man, Saturday Night ~ I list these together because I believe the album Desperado was VERY underrated!! (I didnt list desperado or Tequila Sunrise because they get lots of attention)
6. Good Day in Hell ~ Great song that rocks!
7. Those Shoes ~ Ever heard of strip aerobics? How much fun would THAT be to this song?? *G* A very special Valentine for someone VERY special (Only for you younger girls, I might hurt myself)
8. Center of the Universe ~ I love the kind of Latin influence in this song and I even like the lyrics
9. Ol 55 ~ I love this song
10. Victim of Love ~ Another great rocker and Don's vocals at their best!

thelongrun
04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Sorry, Help here no matter in a brief way,
In this matter What does it mean less than par? :fear:

ticky
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Par is a golf term meaning the average.. less then par would be less then average

thelongrun
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Par is a golf term meaning the average.. less then par would be less then average

Silly me, as a Golf term (No wonder, I am a Base ball guy), so that means a Topic about "IMO bad Songs"?... Thanks!

P.S. By te way, IMO there are not such Songs in any Eagles -Frey- Henley records.:fingerwag:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Okay - This was not easy at all. I tried very hard to keep my list to 10 songs, but I couldn't do it. My original list had 28 songs on it, so I did manage to cut that back. However, the only way I was able to do this was to follow ticky's lead and include the entire Desperado album. So here goes ...

1. Train Leaves Here This Morning
2. Desperado album
3. My Man
4. Good Day in Hell
5. On the Border
6. After the Thrill Is Gone
7. Try and Love Again
8. King of Hollywood
9. You Are Not Alone
10. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance

TheWalrus1964
08-11-2015, 07:21 PM
I definitely agree with Take the Devil I would also throw Ol' 55 and Midnight Flyer on there.

AlreadyGone95
08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
What the heck. Since this super old thread has been revived, I'll throw in my top 10.

In random order, except for #1:

Outlaw Man (my favorite Eagles song, and it dang sure is very underrated! )
Out of Control
James Dean
On the Border
Too Many Hands
Journey of the Sorcerer
In the City
Get Over It
Somebody
You Are Not Alone

chaim
08-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Take The Devil
- Perhaps overshadowed initially by the hits and never could come out of their shadow, and therefore still thought of as a lesser track? And perhaps people think of the Eagles as a hit band and ignore their songs that are more atmospheric and don't have obvious hooks?

My Man
- Perhaps too specific in terms of subject matter to be considered a classic? A singer is mentioned, so it can't be a tribute to just anybody. And perhaps listeners who like to have something to relate to (I'm not one of them) can't relate to this one?

Journey Of The Sorcerer
- Perhaps more people would like it in a different environment - not on an Eagles album? Although personally I love it in the context of the album, everyone might not agree!

Too Many Hands
- Don's riff isn't anything special, but Randy sure wrote a great song out of it! Great vocal melodies and, above all, great harmony guitars and great guitar solos! Definitely an overlooked Eagles guitar song. Could still be a great showcase for Glenn live.

I Wish You Peace
- Again, perhaps the problem is that it seems out of place where it is. The message is wonderful and the melody/chords are beautiful. Perhaps the electric piano opening sounds a bit weird after the previous song.

Earlybird
- The only reason I can think of why this one has completely "slipped under the radar" is that perhaps Bernie doesn't have a hit voice. Oh, and perhaps the banjo is too prominent for some people?

Bitter Creek
- See "Take The Devil" - too atmospheric and lacking obvious hooks. Also, perhaps it's harder to find different levels in the lyric than, say, in the Desperado lyric. And therefore it may not work for people out of context?

King Of Hollywood
- Obviously not hit potential. Probably loved by most people who take the time to listen to the Eagles studio albums - not just compilation albums.

Teenage Jail
- Ok, just my opinion. Glenn's voice works perfectly with the twisted/menacing riff. This one is so crazy that it's a lot of fun. Don's vocal in the "chorus" can be scary or hilarious - depending on how you look at it. I'm sure Don meant it to be hilarious and not scary! Glenn's synth solo is hilarious and, no matter what he may think himself, Don F's guitar solo is fantastic.

Certain Kind Of Fool
- I love how the drum beat changes (How do you say it in English? "Double speed/tempo"?) when it come to the chorus. A great chorus, by the way, although certainly not a "hit" chorus.

I might as well have picked On The Border as the last one. It's a nice example of a collaboration between three members. Bernie obviously had a lot to do with the verse at least.

NOLA
08-13-2015, 08:27 AM
I am loving this thread - a celebration of deep tracks that deserve recognition as some of the band's better work.
This list is in no particular order.

1. You Never Cry Like a Lover (Don's husky vocal)
2. Try and Love Again (Randy's swan song and perhaps his best)
3. Learn to Be Still (Don's HFO comeback vocal)
4. Seven Bridges Road (top-notch harmonies)
5. Good Day in Hell (slide (guitar), baby, slide)
6. Bitter Creek (perhaps Bernie's best vocal)
7. Visions (only vocal by Don F.)
8. Is It True (perfect little pop song by Randy)
9. King of Hollywood (great story about the seediness of Hollywood)
10. Teenage Jail (duet between Glenn and Don plus Don F.'s guitar)

A little lagniappe:
Take the Devil (Randy's low and strong vocal)

MortSahlFan
08-14-2015, 05:31 PM
1. King of Hollywood
2. Outlaw Man
3. Too Many Hands
4. Disco Strangler
5. Journey of the Sorcerer
6. Bitter Creek
7. Is It True
8. Most Of Us Are Sad
9. The Sad Cafe
10. You Never Cry Like A Lover

L101
08-14-2015, 07:19 PM
1. Waiting in the weeds
2. After the thrill is gone
3. king of Hollywood
4. Learn to be still
5. The sad cafe
6. The last resort
7. You never cry like a lover
8. My man
9. Try and love again
10. Last good time in town

sad-cafe
08-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Love this topic and also agree would be great to do each solo works also.

1. Chug All Night (Eagles)-- Catchy little tune me thinks
2. Certain Kind Of Fool (Desperado)
3. On The Border (On The Border)-- I know it gets some play time but think it should of been a bigger hit than it was.
4. To Many Hands (One Of These Nights) --just think this song should of gotten more respect and been released as a single. JMO.
5. King Of Hollywood (The Long Run)--I truly believe this should of been a HUGE hit for them.
6. Those Shoes (The Long Run) - Again, a hit but should of been bigger. Listen to the opening!! How Cool!!!
7. Get Over It (Hell Freezes Over)--come on!! This should of been played on every rock station in the nation!!
8. Learn To Be Still (Hell Freezes Over)- just beautiful
9. Somebody (LROOE) - personally didn't appreciate it till I saw it live the first time--Glenn Rocks It!!
10. Fast Company (LROOE) - I know most will disagree, but I just think this is a very, for lack of a better word, unique & different song.

I love Fast Company. Love Those Shoes as well. At the end when Don goes "uh-Shoes" So sexy