PDA

View Full Version : New Joe Walsh solo album in the works with Jeff Lynne producing?

sodascouts
04-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Looks like Timothy's not the only one with big plans!

JEFF LYNNE SET TO PRODUCE FIRST JOE WALSH ALBUM IN 17 YEARS

http://jonathanknightglo.blogspot.com/2009/04/tuesday-april-28-2009.html

Prettymaid
04-29-2009, 07:05 AM
:blueblob::yay: WOO HOO!!! This is the best news! So exciting!

tbs fanatic
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
That is exciting. All this new music coming our way - Yahoo! :partytime:

ticky
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
YAY!!!! WOOHOO!!!! NAKED HAPPY DANCING:partytime:!!!! and... dare I dream? new album = new tour? :fainting:

ticky
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Here's the original Reuter's article, it doesnt say anywhere in there that he's producing a Joe solo album, just that he's working with him.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUKTRE53M62R20090423?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

Freypower
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
How peculiar. I don't know which article to believe, but I guess I am more inclined to believe Reuters. But as Joe is not even mentioned until the second last paragraph it appears that something has been left out. Reading it that way, it makes no sense to have Joe suddenly enter the article.

sodascouts
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Hmmmm! Not a good sign that it wasn't mentioned in the Reuter's article... but yeah, why mention him at all otherwise?

ticky
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too, but then there were previous articles that mentioned Lynne's intentions to work with Joe, I can only assume the Reuter's article was referring to those previous articles.

Freypower
04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Perhaps. But it seems extremely sloppy to introduce what on the surface appears to be a reference which is totally unrelated to the rest of the article. They can't make assumptions that people will have read previous articles. This is the very first I have heard that Jeff Lynne wants to work with Joe. Until I saw the photos at the Harrison Walk of Fame I had no idea the two men even knew each other.

AmarilloByMorning
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm glad both he and Tim are back in the studio! Most new releases are indigestible to me lately. On that note, does anyone mind if I just call myself a baby boomer and claim I've had a lot of work done? I'll say I was born in, oh, 1947 and omit the "+ 36" because (in my not-quite-humble opinion) my generation is basically useless.

Hope there's much more where "Last Good Time" came from!

Freypower
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I hope Joe is recording too, but as my previous posts make clear, there is absolutely no confirmation of this. The only real information appears to be about Jeff Lynne's album (Reuters). The previous article which comes from a blog only quotes Lynne as saying he would like to work with Joe. Where the blog article gets the information to make such a concrete statement about a new Joe album, I don't know.

Troubadour
08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I guess we'll have to wait and see. It would be wonderful if it happened, though! It's so exciting to hear about potential 'new stuff', especially with the Eagles tour hiatus that's got us all chomping at the bit. (Seriously, you'd think we'd have some patience!) ;)

ticky
08-12-2009, 08:18 PM
this is what Becca had to say about it a few months ago on the JWFC msg board...

I guess all that can be said is he has been working on ideas for doing a solo album, however with the Eagles touring this summer & fall..its a slow process

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
At least it sounds like it's going to happen...someday.

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Didn't Joe say in an interview that he was going to put One Day at a Time on a solo album? Or did I dream that?

Speaking of dreams, I have a new one to put in that other thread...

ticky
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
*quickly switching to the dream thread....*

Prettymaid
08-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Wouldn't it be fun to speculate on the title of Joe's new album?

How about, The Soberer You Stay, The Better You Play

or, Got Any Denture Adhesive? :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
PM---you are so funny!!! That's good!

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdubfan
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Or "Not Bombered" or "Extraordinary When He's Sober Guy"

Back at the Chi m&g (Sigh....coming up on almost a year ago...where does the time go...) last September Joe said he was working on stuff, including ODAAT and would do a new album "when he was done being an Eagle". Still hoping that he means it. Been a long, long, long, long, lonely time.

sodascouts
08-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Back at the Chi m&g (Sigh....coming up on almost a year ago...where does the time go...) last September Joe said he was working on stuff, including ODAAT and would do a new album "when he was done being an Eagle". Still hoping that he means it. Been a long, long, long, long, lonely time.When he was done with being an Eagle? I wonder if he just means when they take a break... or done for good?

P.S. Good to hear from you, Deb!

jdubfan
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
When he was done with being an Eagle? I wonder if he just means when they take a break... or done for good?

P.S. Good to hear from you, Deb!

Thanks!....the rumor of my demise was greatly exaggerated....the demise of my pc is another matter. And since I'm still working only 3 days/week, there's no new 'puter coming soon I'm afraid.

I took Joe's comment to mean "when he had time". He talked quite a while about the good/bad of "being an Eagle" and when he was being one, that's his prioriy of course. He said it like it was very expected to be at Don and Glenn's beck and call when there was band stuff going on.

EaglesFanatic
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
I've been thinking about this potential new album lately, and I'm really getting anxious! One of the reasons I bring this up, is because The Eagles keep scheduling new tour dates. I'm hoping that at the very least, when the guys are done with the LROOE tour, he will finish the album (or start it, if he hasn't yet). I just wanted to know what you all thought. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread yet, but I want to see if you think it's likely that we'll see some new material from Joe after the LROOE tour.

sodascouts
11-17-2010, 01:22 AM
He's said it's more than halfway done and I don't see why he can't work on it during the breaks as Tim did. I'm looking forward to it, too!

WalshFan88
11-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm very much looking forward to the solo album. I'm also hoping (and praying) he does a solo tour, or a tour with Glenn and comes to Illinois, preferably Central Illinois (Springfield, Peoria, Bloomington, Quad Cities, etc). I'd go to Chicago, but I'm hoping he'd come a bit closer.

MikeA
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
If it is the same group of tracks he was working on back in 2002, it is pure Rock N Roll according to Joe.

sodascouts
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I have yet to see a Joe solo show (although obviously he played solo numbers when I saw him perform with Glenn as the Party of Two). I very much hope he does a solo tour to promote the album, and I'm going to make it my business to go to a show, no matter if I have to drive all night!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Well I can tell you, I would be there too if at all possible. I saw Joe solo in Atlantic City and he was AWESOME!

MikeA
11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
The great thing about Joe doing solo or even James Gang performances is that he "talks" between the songs. Trivia type stuff. When it came to "In The City", he said that he wrote the highest note he'd ever written for his vocals. When he got through, he said something like "Y'all are lucky...I actually hit that note."

The thing is that he is a lot more laid back and for Joe fans, that is a GREAT thing. He gets a little more ad-hoc in his solos too. They are not performed recordings...each one you hear is a little different from when you heard it before. And that's what Joe was about with the James Gang and one of the things that wore on him...having to come up with that impromptu stuff on stage with no one propping him up...a drum kit, a bass and Joe. But that is what MADE Power Trios.

WalshFan88
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
The great thing about Joe doing solo or even James Gang performances is that he "talks" between the songs. Trivia type stuff. When it came to "In The City", he said that he wrote the highest note he'd ever written for his vocals. When he got through, he said something like "Y'all are lucky...I actually hit that note."

The thing is that he is a lot more laid back and for Joe fans, that is a GREAT thing. He gets a little more ad-hoc in his solos too. They are not performed recordings...each one you hear is a little different from when you heard it before. And that's what Joe was about with the James Gang and one of the things that wore on him...having to come up with that impromptu stuff on stage with no one propping him up...a drum kit, a bass and Joe. But that is what MADE Power Trios.

I agree with everything you said here. And I really like the "talking" he does between songs and the lightening up and laid back performances that he does. I'm just crossing my fingers hoping he comes my way on a tour.

jdubfan
11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Gee, I've never seen a Joe solo show either, heh heh heh...well maybe a couple...dozen....
I recently read or heard an interview where Joe said the new record was in the can, they just had to figure out how it was going to be released, since there's "no record companies anymore" and then he made the analog-guy-in-a-digital-world comment. Might have been the call-in show where Joe took questions, but I'm thinking it was more recent than that...have to sleep on it, see if I can find it.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
You know I was a bit surprised the time I saw Joe solo that he actually talked very little between songs. I don't know if that is the norm or not or whether it just that particular evening. However, his guitar work was absolutely incredible that night - not nearly as scripted as it is in Eagles shows. As Mike said, he just let it rip with a lot of extended solos. He did the best version of In the City that night that I've ever heard. He was awesome and exceeded all of my expectations (except for the talking). :grin:

As an aside, he actually seemed more at ease at the Party of Two show in Aspen (as did Glenn). I guess it's a little easier on both of them because they don't have the pressure of it being an Eagles show or the pressure of having everything on them as in a solo show. They both just were very relaxed as they were out there jamming and seemingly having a great time.

EaglesFanatic
11-19-2010, 12:32 AM
As an aside, he actually seemed more at ease at the Party of Two show in Aspen (as did Glenn). I guess it's a little easier on both of them because they don't have the pressure of it being an Eagles show or the pressure of having everything on them as in a solo show. They both just were very relaxed as they were out there jamming and seemingly having a great time.
From all of the Party of Two videos that I saw, I would have to agree with you on that Dreamer.
Ah, what I wouldn't give to go to a Joe solo show!!!!! I think that would be so great if he did a tour to promote his new album.
Just curious, but are the guys' solo shows as pricey as regular Eagles shows?

MikeA
11-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Joe's shows aren't. Or weren't anyway. I think I paid $60 for the James Gang a few years ago and something like that when he played with Stone Temple Pilot backing him. The Gang was at House of Blues at Mandalay Bay and the Stone Temple show was at Hard Rock. You definitely get your bang for the buck with Joe.

jdubfan
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Joe's cheap and easy for sure, I paid $22 to see him 3 yrs ago at the IL state fair and he talked a lot, and $45 for the Gang in Cleveland 4 yrs ago and he diddn't say much at all, let the geetar say it. Guess it just depends. They weren't 3 hr shows, but they're pure fun and spontaneous Joe. Not the same show night after night.
I think it's interesting that there is evidence of "stage nerves" after all these years, gigs and audiences. Shows there's still a lot of pride and concern about the product that's being put out, I'm guessing. Good to know they care that much.

sodascouts
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I saw Joe with the James Gang in Cleveland and he didn't talk much then either, although of course there was the hometown talk. He and the Gang just jammed in a way that was completely foreign to Eagles shows. I think one song lasted nigh on 20 minutes. It was amazing!

Joe's cheap and easy for sure

Good to know! lol ;)

TimothyBFan
11-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Joe's cheap and easy for sure, I paid $22 to see him 3 yrs ago at the IL state fair

Hey Cathy, isn't the same show you saw him at?

Prettymaid
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Yep, I was there and my nose was bleedin' from the high seats, but I'm glad I went. Next time though, I'm going to be close!