PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Flu

Glennsallnighter
04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I hadn't been taking this too seriously but I was talking to my homeopath today and came out more than a bit rattled. Now I don't want to alarm anybody unnecessarily but he gave me a bit of advice which I'm going to pass on. Please note that I am NOT a medical practitioner and I am NOT advocating that you do not call a doctor at first sign that anything is wrong with you. However this what he said (in brief)

This is or is going to be a global pandemic with the capacity to kill.
Those most at risk are those in the 18 - 40 age group.
Its airborne and so will be easy to catch
The WHO have NOT got sufficient antiviral drugs to treat everybody

He suggests the following as an additional way of protecting yourself from getting it

TOMORROW go to your local health shop and buy the following homeopathic remedies

Bryonia
Gelsenium

These too are in short supply

As soon as you hear that the flu is in your area start taking one of each a day (one night, the other day). Keep doing so until the epidemc has passed.

If you DO contract this flu, take one tablet every hour alternating them each hour. IE say at 9am take Bryonia 10am Gelsenium 11am Bryonia etc until the symptoms pass.

Hopefully he is only scaremongering and that this will pass without too many deaths but I'm taking the 'Forewarned is Forearmed' tack. No reason not to stockpile the remedy just in case.

As I say, I'm not trying to spread doom and Gloom here just passing on a bit of what could be useful information.

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
It is getting a wee bit scary. I don't take it all real serious because we all know that the media has a way of setting off panic but since they found that case up at Notre Dame it is a little closer to home. And of course Katie decides to get a pretty good cold about this time. Any other time I tell the kids "get over it and get to school, it's just a cold", but with all this going on, I have kept her home the last couple of days.

Glennsallnighter
04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
I think you are right. One confirmed case on the East Coast of Ireland from today. I hope there will be no more!
Hope Katie is feeling better

Molly
04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I work in a hospital, and we've already taken precautions to "get ready" for any potential problems with the "swine" flu coming to our community.

Good ole handwashing and common sense will go a long way with this. Cough into your sleeve or elbow not into your hand. Wash your hands more often than you may be used to doing.

And, probably most importantly, if you are having symptoms -stay home!! If you feel you do need to see your doctor -call ahead if you can so the health care facility can use universal precautions with you upon your arrival (as opposed to you sitting in a crowded waiting room).

If you don't have it in your home already, in the States, Tamiflu is over the counter and can help in lessening some of the symptoms (it's not a "cure").

Stay well, everyone.

Fan_For_Life
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I work in a hospital, and we've already taken precautions to "get ready" for any potential problems with the "swine" flu coming to our community.

Good ole handwashing and common sense will go a long way with this. Cough into your sleeve or elbow not into your hand. Wash your hands more often than you may be used to doing.

And, probably most importantly, if you are having symptoms -stay home!! If you feel you do need to see your doctor -call ahead if you can so the health care facility can use universal precautions with you upon your arrival (as opposed to you sitting in a crowded waiting room).

If you don't have it in your home already, in the States, Tamiflu is over the counter and can help in lessening some of the symptoms (it's not a "cure").

Stay well, everyone.

I work with a pulmonologist/infectious disease dr and this is also how we've been told to advise patients.

AzEaglesFan
05-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Swine flu is already in Arizona, probably because of so many people crossing the Mexican border. A school in Phoenix has a few cases and the state prison has a couple. They closed the school down for a week to try to keep it from spreading.

MikeA
05-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I have heard that there have been two cases reported in Kansas. (Up near Kansas City).

sodascouts
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a friend with delicate health who is freaking out because her brother, who works at a hospital, told her there are a lot more cases at Notre Dame than has been reported (she lives in South Bend). Watch out, Willie!

melrose
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm praying for everybody involved. Keep safe, everyone.

I've heard mention of two cases in Florida.

ticky
05-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Western Oregon University closed their residence halls and quarantined the residence there for at least 24 hours due to a suspected case of the swine flu. I don't know if they still are quarantined or for how long it will last.

thelongrun
05-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Oh boy... I had so much bee..:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Can you get Tamiflu over the counter in the States? I tried to get it here but it is only available on perscription. As I tend to catch respiratory illnesses I want to be prepared!

EagleLady
05-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Is Tamiflu anything like Theraflu?

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't honestly know. I just heard Tamiflu is the product of choice to treat it if it does come.

thelongrun
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Is Tamiflu anything like Theraflu?

Absolutly not the same, Tamiflu is the World drug for Influenza, Roche brand I believe... Antiviral (for those alraedy are sick, is not a vaccine)

I run a survey here for the Fed Gov. and main Pharmacy chains as well Stores such as Wal Mart are run of it, as well of alcohol Gel.

Panic buys may show.

EagleLady
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh Ok, Wasn't sure.

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks Long Run. Hope you and yours sll stay safe during this epidemic.

TimothyBFan
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I have a friend with delicate health who is freaking out because her brother, who works at a hospital, told her there are a lot more cases at Notre Dame than has been reported (she lives in South Bend). Watch out, Willie!

Thanks for the warning Soda!

Now there is all kinds of talk, locally anyways, that this probably isn't as bad as what was suspected and reported last week by the media! Say it isn't so---the media making a mountain out of a molehill! You just don't know what to believe. I guess everyone just needs to stay vigilant and take precautions!

thelongrun
05-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks Long Run. Hope you and yours sll stay safe during this epidemic.

Thanks Glennsallnighter, we are Ok, my State was the last with the flue I guess (North Mexico next to USA), we had -had- only 1 case a 17 Years old Boy who is Ok now. My familiy is Ok too, and I wish the same to all of you friends! The light at the end of the tunnel is showing IMO:computer: