PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Freypower
09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
This will be BIG.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=2797

But will they play Stairway? Plant vowed after the band split that he would never sing it again. I saw the Page & Plant reunion in 1995 and for one brief, hushed moment I thought they were going to play it. They didn't.

Will they tour? Let's wait and hope...

glenneaglesfan
09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Wow, FP, you heard about it before me! I might just go in for that lottery. One of the boys would go with me if I won!

Brooke
09-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I read about this yesterday, too, Fp!

Back in the day, I didn't really care for Led Zep, but now I do. Some of their lyrics are a bit to be desired, but I can ignore that! I have a dvd of them that is quite good.

They say 1 concert only. You don't believe that?

Freypower
09-14-2007, 07:06 PM
On one hand I think it COULD go further. On the other hand simply because it's Led Zeppelin, I don't. I think the demand would be very hard to meet. But then again... (and Dire Straits won't reform either, by the way).

Anyway this is my Zep Top 10 for what it's worth.

1. Stairway To Heaven (well, it is. The song is remarkable, no matter what Plant's opinion of it is).
2. Kashmir (this is almost as good as Stairway)
3. Black Dog
4. Rock And Roll
5. Boogie With Stu
6. Immigrant Song
7. Black Country Woman
8. D'Yer Mak'Er (you're not supposed to like this cod-reggae track but I do. The band's humour is too often overlooked).
9. Whole Lotta Love
10. Trampled Underfoot

I could change the order of those around. I would just give honourable mentions to Fool In The Rain and All My Love. Not to mention The Battle of Evermore etc etc...

Like I said, this will be BIG.

Brooke
09-17-2007, 03:05 PM
There's more speculation here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/12/the-story-behind-the-led-zeppelin-reunion-is-a-tour-next/

9/12/07, 3:17 pm EST

The Story Behind the Led Zeppelin Reunion: Is a Tour Next?
-- David Sinclair

Led Zeppelin will reform for a one-off show at the O2 Arena, London on November 26th. “They’re going to play all the great songs that everybody wants to hear,” said promoter Harvey Goldsmith, who brokered what must surely be the Holy Grail of rock reunions. “They are the last great rock gods that remain to be seen,” Goldsmith added. “I have a feeling that this is going to be the largest demand for one show in history.”

YIKES-$250.00!!!!!

I agree with your Top Ten Zep list, too, Fp, especially the Top 4! Then there are a couple I don't know. Immigrant Song and Whole Lotta Love would be next for me.

Freypower
09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
I feel a bustle in my hedgerow coming on....

Seriously. If it does happen Australia will be a long way down the list. However :shock:

Brooke, the albums for the songs I am guessing you don't know are as follows. Boogie With Stu, Black Country Woman and Trampled Underfoot are from Physical Graffiti. D'Yer Mak'Er is from Houses Of The Holy.

Brooke
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Fp. I'll have to check those out!

glenneaglesfan
09-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for that RS article, Brooke.

Apparently 20 million people have already registered for those 14,500 tickets - that's a lot of people prepared to pay £125 a ticket. I'd better have a go - it's less than 1 in 1000, so unlikely that I'll get picked, but how cool if I did.

My top ten Zep tracks:

1. Stairway To Heaven - outstanding, one of the greatest rock tracks ever.
2. Kashmir - I agree with you, FP and Brooke, also outstanding.
3. Going To California
4. Black Dog
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. Rock And Roll
7. When The Levee Breaks
8. The Battle Of Evermore
9. Immigrant Song
10. The Song Remains The Same

(A bit biased to Zep IV as that's the album I know best.)

Brooke
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh no! Looks like it's been postponed!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=282277&GT1=7702

Freypower
12-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Check out the setlist!!! They did Stairway!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003683185

thelongrun
12-11-2007, 02:02 PM
1. Stairway To Heaven
2. Over The Hills And Far Away
3. Rock and Roll
4. Black Dog
5. Kashmir
6. Since I've Been Loving You
7. Houses Of The Holy
8. The Song Remains The Same
9. The Rain Song
10. Fool In The Rain 8)

Brooke
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds like it was quite the night! 8)

Freypower
12-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. A dissenting view:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/politics/threelinewhip/dec07/ledzepp.htm

Excuse me while I have a rant about the British music press here.

The key line of this article is 'thank goodness the Pistols and the Clash came along to wipe them and their like from the face of the earth'.

This is wishful thinking of the highest order and it has been a common and increasingly pathetic theme of British rock critics since those wonderful, halcyon days of the punk era. They know that Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Pink Floyd etc were NOT wiped from the face of the earth by punk. That's why they claim they were so often, so ad nauseam.

To be fair there are some interesting points here comparing the 70s with the Beatles era, but this is so reminiscent of Bernard Zuel from the SMH lamenting 'how dare these people choose the Eagles over the Sex Pistols'. Cultural fascism of the worst and most condescending type.

OK, rant over. Now this is more like it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml;jsessionid=EFDHNONJMXDXHQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ 0IV0?xml=/arts/2007/12/11/bmzep111.xml

Glennsallnighter
12-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I heard on the radio today that they might do Slane Castle which is one of the biggest gigs of the year over here next summer. I'm not enough of a fan to go tho'. Neil Diamond will be playing in Croke park in the summer also. Hubby wants to go to that.

Freypower
12-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I would go to Neil Diamond if I were you. I strongly recommend his latest album 12 Songs - back to basics, mainly him and his acoustic guitar. I would hope that he would play some of those songs and that his old classics might be done in this more 'stripped down' style.

glenneaglesfan
12-12-2007, 05:17 AM
That Telegraph reporter isn't going to make too many friends.

The BBC review was more like it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7135200.stm

A million people applied for tickets, and one guy paid £85000 for a pair. Can you imagine that sort of hysteria for Johnny Rotten? I'd have loved to see Stairway and Kashmir live. I have to say though that our guys have weathered the years somewhat better in appearance than Plant and Page. :twisted:

tbs fanatic
12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not a huge LZ fan but I would of loved to of been there.

Glennsallnighter
12-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I would go to Neil Diamond if I were you. I strongly recommend his latest album 12 Songs - back to basics, mainly him and his acoustic guitar. I would hope that he would play some of those songs and that his old classics might be done in this more 'stripped down' style.

Yes, I think we probably will go. I like a lot of his stuff. We just need to get the dates first as hubby will have exams in the earlier part of the summer. Still there's always my sister..... :D

Glennsallnighter
12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Its Saturday night 14th June. Tix go on sale in the morning. I'm gonna try.

Brooke
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx/?news=336842&GT1=28102

John Paul Jones Hints At Led Zeppelin Tour Without Robert Plant
Oct. 28, 2008, 12:27 PM EST
Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/)
Rock & Roll Daily (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily)
After weeks of rumor and hearsay, Led Zeppelin (http://music.msn.com/music/artist/led-zeppelin/) bassist John Paul Jones has all but confirmed the band will soon hit the road again. Unfortunately, the reunion this time won't include Robert Plant (http://music.msn.com/music/artist/robert-plant/).
As Jones said to a Manson's Guitar Show in England last weekend, Jimmy Page, Jason Bohnam and himself are all "itching" to hit the road after reuniting in London back in December 2007. However, Plant has been occupied with his tour with Alison Krauss (http://music.msn.com/music/artist/alison-krauss/). So while Plant hopes to reunite with his Led Zep bandmates "in a couple of years," Jones said Led Zeppelin will instead go on tour with another vocalist in place. "As soon as we know who it is, we'll let you know who it is," Jones said of the new singer.
This may all be just posturing in an attempt to force Plant's hand to join them on tour, despite Plant's claims that he won't tour again "for at least the next two years." In news that Led Zeppelin fans might enjoy more than the prospect of seeing the band with another singer, Jones also hinted that the band's legendary reunion concert from London's O2 Arena might eventually be released on DVD.

So, Fp, will you go if Robert isn't along?

TimothyBFan
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I can't imagine this without Robert Plant. They are and always have been one of my fave bands, and I can't even fathom another singer singing those songs. Don't know how they could ever pull that off. Then again I didn't think they would ever do it without Bonzo either but it did work out there-so who knows!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I can't fathom a Zeppelin tour without Page or Plant - it just doesn't seem right. But, I do remember saying the same thing not too long ago about seeing Journey without Steve Perry, and they seem to have found an incredible replacement for him. However, I still think this is different - Zeppelin is in an elite league with only a few other bands that I just don't think should ever consider replacing their key members i.e. Jaggar/Richards and Henley/Frey if you know what I mean.

Brooke
10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I think the same way. For some reason, I don't really want to see some bands without the main members as in Henley/Frey, Page/Plant, or Jagger/Richards. It just would not be the same.

Freypower
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I have heard these rumours and I am utterly dismayed by them.

It was bad enough when David Coverdale replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple, but at least they put out new material (starting with the Burn album). And let's face it, Gillan is more a shouter than a singer. It wasn't that much of a stretch to replace him.

Plant has one of the most distinctive voices and stage presence in music. Furthermore, he wrote those lyrics. There is only one person who could sing Stairway, or Kashmir, or Trampled Underfoot, or Black Dog, or Whole Lotta Love.

This is even worse than the Queen/Paul Rodgers thing. We are talking about THE highest level here. The only other bands at the level of Led Zeppelin are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Eagles. That is it.

glenneaglesfan
10-29-2008, 04:40 AM
I heard this yesterday. I think people will go to see them because it's Zep, but it seems a travesty to tour with Robert Plant. It's a completely different ball game from Queen, Journey, Boston and the like where the lead singer is no longer around.

Brooke
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I have heard these rumours and I am utterly dismayed by them.

It was bad enough when David Coverdale replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple, but at least they put out new material (starting with the Burn album). And let's face it, Gillan is more a shouter than a singer. It wasn't that much of a stretch to replace him.

Plant has one of the most distinctive voices and stage presence in music. Furthermore, he wrote those lyrics. There is only one person who could sing Stairway, or Kashmir, or Trampled Underfoot, or Black Dog, or Whole Lotta Love.

This is even worse than the Queen/Paul Rodgers thing. We are talking about THE highest level here. The only other bands at the level of Led Zeppelin are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Eagles. That is it.

I agree completely.

I'm sure there will be lots who go, but I won't.

10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Personally, I won't believe this is going to happen until I see it.

But, if it does, I agree - I'm not interesting in seeing them even if they come to my hometown.

Freypower
10-29-2008, 06:41 PM
I applaud Plant for taking some risks with his solo career. We have most of his solo albums and there are some excellent songs on them (a couple of favourites - Big Log, Tall Cool One, Heaven Knows, Hurtin' Kind, 29 Palms, his version of If I Were A Carpenter, Freedom Fries, Tie Die On The Highway).

We have a bootleg of one of his shows with Alison Krauss. They do Black Dog REALLY SLOW and swampy (yes, a bit like the revised version of Smuggler's Blues). I'm afraid the novelty value disappeared for me after one hearing. Black Dog is supposed to be fast, furious and LOUD.

I can see why he would be reluctant to do this given that he is perfectly happy with his solo work. All the more reason, then, why Page and Jones should leave it alone.

I feel quite strongly about this. I came late to Led Zeppelin. They were a bit too 'difficult' for me while they were still together. I probably didn't really start to appreciate them until Page and Plant did the Unledded tour (WHICH WE SAW). The range and style of the music they did is astonishing. Everything from the early hard rock and blues of Whole Lotta Love through to gentle folk (Going To California), country (Hot Dog), power ballads (All My Love, Fool In The Rain) and songs that can only be described as anthems for several generations (the whole of IV, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, Immigrant Song, Achilles Last Stand - I mean really, need I go on?

There were a couple of suggestions for replacements on the Rolling Stone site yesterday - Steven Tyler (seriously), Geddy Lee (!!!) and - er - David Lee Roth. If it has to happen an unknown would be the only way to do it, but it should not happen.

rickmullen
10-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Nobody should be able to call themselves Led Zeppelin without
Robert Plant on the vocals, pure and simple. I wonder how much
of this is posturing on the other members part to get Plant to
commit to a tour?

I had the pleasure of seeing this legendary band in concert back
in 1971....it's a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. I so
wished that a reunion would happen so I could see them one more
time. However, I want everyone on board, including Plant. It's the
only way to go.

I'm still hoping all the pieces will eventually fall into place. Hey, I can
dream, can't I?

Rick

TimothyBFan
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
There were a couple of suggestions for replacements on the Rolling Stone site yesterday - Steven Tyler (seriously), Geddy Lee (!!!) and - er - David Lee Roth. If it has to happen an unknown would be the only way to do it, but it should not happen.

They've got to be kidding!!!! :enraged: There is no way they can replace Robert!! Don't get me wrong--I love Steven Tyler and Geddy Lee, and I have gained some respect for David Lee since reading his book-but seriously... what are people thinking?:headscratch:

Brooke
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I was never a Zep fan until the past couple of years. Seriously, whenever they came on the radio, I would turn the station. But now I like them. Wierd, I know. I even have a video of their early years which is great. So, now I would love to see them in concert. But not without Robert Plant.

As for Steven Tyler, he could probably do it, but I doubt he would. Aerosmith has announced they will be touring next year. :yay: I want to see them again.

TimothyBFan
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
I was never a Zep fan until the past couple of years. Seriously, whenever they came on the radio, I would turn the station. But now I like them. Wierd, I know.

:woah::woah::woah: WOW!!!!

As for Steven Tyler, he could probably do it, but I doubt he would. Aerosmith has announced they will be touring next year. :yay: I want to see them again.

I'm hoping everyone will have enough respect to say "thanks, but no thanks" out of respect for this band!!

Freypower
10-30-2008, 05:54 PM
My husband thinks the talk of trying new singers is just a ploy to tease Plant into doing it. All Page would have to do is float the name 'David Coverdale' and Plant would come on board.

TimothyBFan
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
FP- I sure hope your husband is right! I am very passionate about this topic because Zep is one of those groups I have worshiped since childhood!

Troubadour
10-31-2008, 07:22 PM
I hope so too. Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant isn't Led Zeppelin.

They were one of the first bands I fell in love with. (Long before I discovered the joys of Mr Henley & the Eagles!) I can't imagine anybody else singing their songs.

Freypower
02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Tonight I was watching "Bingo America" (hubby and I like to relax in the evening after work watching game shows!), and the question was: "Name the British heavy metal band with Jimmy Page as the guitarist". Imagine my surprise when one of the contestants blurted out "The Eagles" and the other one responded with "Van Halen".
Now I never knew our guys were British, let alone a heavy metal band!;):laugh: You learn something new every day!

It's funny. Some people may think of Led Zeppelin as heavy metal, but I don't.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Tonight I was watching "Bingo America" (hubby and I like to relax in the evening after work watching game shows!), and the question was: "Name the British heavy metal band with Jimmy Page as the guitarist". Imagine my surprise when one of the contestants blurted out "The Eagles" and the other one responded with "Van Halen".
Now I never knew our guys were British, let alone a heavy metal band!;):laugh: You learn something new every day!

OK-Am I the only one that finds this extremely sad that someone doesn't know that Jimmy Page was with Zeppelin and even sadder that they think that Zeppelin is a heavy metal band!?! GEEZ!! I know not everyone takes music as seriously as me but isn't that just one of those things everyone should know? :brickwall:

sodascouts
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, I have to admit I didn't know who the members of Led Zeppelin were - nor could I name any of their songs - until 2004, when one of my friends got into them hard-core. :blush: Even now I am hard-pressed to name more than two of their songs... I know they did "Rock and Roll" and "Stairway to Heaven"....

Prettymaid
02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I never was a Zeppelin fan - don't know too much about them.

eaglesvet
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I know that Robert Plant and Jimmie Page were 2 band members, but I really don't care for their music. If not heavy metal, how would Led Zeppelin's music be categorized?

TimothyBFan
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
OK-I stand corrected--there are people out there that don't know much about Zeppelin! I guess I shouldn't just assume everyone knows who they are.

As far as categorizing them--I would call them just plain old Rock N Roll by today's standards. Back when they first came out they played a lot of old Rhythm and Blues. Got "heavier" later on but heavy metal today is more head banging music and I just wouldn't call Zep that. I guess back then, they were probably considered heavy metal because no one had ever really heard any one play drums like John Bonham before and Jimmy Page was something different when he was playing his guitar with a violin bow. Very experimental!

To me---they are ROCK N ROLL GODS!!! Rock as we know it now, would be non existant. JMHO (which really amounts to nothing!)

eaglesvet
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
One of my good friends back in HS was very into Led Zeppelin in the 70's, so I did know their music back then...which is why I classify them as heavy metal. That's where my impression of their music is stuck in my brain...back in the 70's. BTW, I've also heard of Bonham!

Freypower
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
OK-I stand corrected--there are people out there that don't know much about Zeppelin! I guess I shouldn't just assume everyone knows who they are.

As far as categorizing them--I would call them just plain old Rock N Roll by today's standards. Back when they first came out they played a lot of old Rhythm and Blues. Got "heavier" later on but heavy metal today is more head banging music and I just wouldn't call Zep that. I guess back then, they were probably considered heavy metal because no one had ever really heard any one play drums like John Bonham before and Jimmy Page was something different when he was playing his guitar with a violin bow. Very experimental!

To me---they are ROCK N ROLL GODS!!! Rock as we know it now, would be non existant. JMHO (which really amounts to nothing!)

Hear hear.

Rock, blues, country, folk - everything. They even did a couple of nods to reggae (D'Yer Mak'Er) and funk (Trampled Underfoot).

Peekaboo
02-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Well said, Willie. I completely agree with you here. My favorite Zeppelin song is still the very first song I ever heard by them...All Of My Love.

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Ok--I talked myself into this! Since they come up every once in awhile and we have some that LOVE them and some DON'T (you know who you are!:eyebrow:) So I figure this will give us all a chance to state your pros and cons! Besides, it's my way of trying to convert you non believers!! It's really an evil plan!

I will start off with my all time favorite VIDEO---Not only is this a fantastic song but LOOK at these guys!! OMG!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSugn0dB4c&feature=PlayList&p=4778E227453865A4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

And my very favorite song EVER!!!! (I know you all thought it would be an Eagles song didn't you?) Fooled you! This is the one-ever since I was a little itty bitty thing!!! LOVE IT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svR3iXKTJvc

And this just happens to be the song the radio is playing right now!!! What a coincidence!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWxE-ShdXc

Troubadour
04-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Ooh, great idea, Willie, and nice video choices! I'm a big Led Zep fan. When I was about sixteen, I had The Song Remains The Same on a constant loop. Robert Plant drove me crazy! He doesn't quite have the Don-factor, but still...

My favourite songs are probably The Lemon Song & Since I've Been Loving You. Both very sexy, in very different ways... The whole of Led Zeppelin II kept me company while I was in South Africa. It was the only CD that would play on my hosts' old stereo, so it provided the soundtrack to an incredible year!

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I would of gave almost anything to have been at the 02 arena on December 10th, 2007 to see this legend live! I can't even imagine what that was like. They were just amazing then as 35 years ago. Look a little older (poor Jimmy-completely gray!) but still got it. Goes to show some bands can reunite and still DO IT (the Eagles) and some can't (Van Halen)--Led Zeppelin DID IT!!!!

Good ol' Bluesy tune!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELX305sD5aE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x497E89zAI&feature=PlayList&p=998298EC1DF9270D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/LedZeppelin2.jpg

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Okay Willie, you asked for it! First I would like to admit into evidence my list of my top ten favorite singers, presented in the same-titled thread back in December.

Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)
Linda Ronstadt
Paul McCartney
Ann Wilson
Jackson Browne
John Denver
James Taylor
Stevie Nicks
Don Henley
Gordon Lightfoot

Honorable mention:

Karen Carpenter
Jim Croce
Norah Jones
Darius Rucker
Edwin McCain

Now I ask you, does this look like the list of someone who would like Zep?
:hilarious: On the other hand, I do like Heart, and they have said that their sound was inspired by LZ.

TimothyBFan
04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
PM--What part of "convert the nonbellievers" did you not understand?:brickwall: But looking at your list, there might not be hope for everyone I guess! :hilarious: And don't get me started on the Wilson women. I present into evidence the following of them covering Zep... How can you not respect this!! Amazing!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDrPlfswPo

It's Been A Long Time, that Heart has been covering Zep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhfzVEc5Nw&feature=related

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 03:58 PM
See, I like the Heart versions better than the originals! Honestly, I don't like Robert Plants vocals very much.

MikeA
04-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't completely disagree with you PM. Heart has always been great in my opinion, and their cover of "Battle of Evermore", especially in vocals, in no way bows to Plantts version. But for me, Led Zep was all about Page. God was that young man a virtuoso on anything stringed! He just messed my head up totally on guitar!

I have just recently loaded the complete discography of Led Zep onto an MP3 player to enjoy while out in Vegas! It's been a while since I've listened to my 85 tracks of Zep!

Album / Track

Led Zeppelin

In Through the Outdoor - 01 - In The Evening.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 02 - South Bound Saurez.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 03 - Fool In The Rain.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 04 - Hot Dog.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 05 - Carouselambra.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 06 - All My Love.mp3
In Through the Outdoor - 07 - I'm Gonna Crawl.mp3

Led Zeppelin I - 01 - Good Times Bad Times.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 02 - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 03 - You Shook Me.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 04 - Dazed And Confused.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 05 - Your Time Is Gonna Come.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 06 - Black Mountain Side.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 07 - Communication Breakdown.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 08 - I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
Led Zeppelin I - 09 - How Many More Times.mp3

Led Zeppelin II - 01 - Whole Lotta Love.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 02 - What Is And What Should Never Be.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 03 - The Lemon Song.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 04 - Thank You.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 05 - Heartbreaker.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 06 - Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman).mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 07 - Ramble On.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 08 - Moby Dick.mp3
Led Zeppelin II - 09 - Bring It On Home.mp3

Led Zeppelin III - 01 - Immigrant Song.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 02 - Friends.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 03 - Celebration Day.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 04 - Since I've Been Loving You.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 05 - Out On The Tiles.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 06 - Gallows Pole.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 07 - Tangerine.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 08 - Thats The Way.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 09 - Bron_Y_Aur Stomp.mp3
Led Zeppelin III - 10 - Hats Off To (Roy Harper).mp3

Led Zeppelin IV - 01 - Black Dog.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 02 - Rock & Roll.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 03 - The Battle Of Evermore.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 04 - Stairway To Heaven.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 05 - Misty Mountain Hop.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 06 - Four Sticks.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 07 - Going To California.mp3
Led Zeppelin IV - 08 - When The Levee Breaks.mp3

House Of The Holy - 01 - The Song Remains The Same.mp3
House Of The Holy - 02 - The Rain Song.mp3
House Of The Holy - 03 - Over The Hills And Far Away.mp3
House Of The Holy - 04 - The Crunge.mp3
House Of The Holy - 05 - Dancing Days.mp3
House Of The Holy - 06 - D'Yer Mak'er.mp3
House Of The Holy - 07 - No Quarter.mp3
House Of The Holy - 08 - The Ocean.mp3

Physical Grafitti I - 01 - Custard Pie.mp3
Physical Grafitti I - 02 - The Rover.mp3
Physical Grafitti I - 03 - In My Time Of Dying.mp3
Physical Grafitti I - 04 - Houses Of The Holy.mp3
Physical Grafitti I - 05 - Trampled Under Foot.mp3
Physical Grafitti I - 06 - Kashmir.mp3

Physical Graffiti II - 01 - In The Light.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 02 - Bron_Yr_Aur.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 03 - Down By The Seaside.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 04 - Ten Years Gone.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 05 - Night Flight.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 06 - The Wanton Song.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 07 - Boogie With Stu.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 08 - Black Country Woman.mp3
Physical Graffiti II - 09 - Sick Again.mp3

Presence - 01 - Achilles Last Stand.mp3
Presence - 02 - For Your Life.mp3
Presence - 03 - Royal Orleans.mp3
Presence - 04 - Nobody's Fault But Mine.mp3
Presence - 05 - Candy Store Rock.mp3
Presence - 06 - Hots On For Nowhere.mp3
Presence - 07 - Tea For One.mp3

BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 01 - You Shook Me.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 02 - I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 03 - Communication Breakdown.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 04 - Dazed And Confused.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 05 - The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 06 - What Is And What Should Never Be.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 07 - Communication Breakdown.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 08 - Travelling Riverside Blues.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 09 - Whole Lotta Love.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 10 - Somethin' Else.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 11 - Communication Breakdown.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 12 - I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 13 - You Shook Me.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 1) 14 - How Many More Times.mp3

BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 01 - Immigrant Song.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 02 - Heartbreaker.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 03 - Since I've Been Loving You.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 04 - Black Dog.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 05 - Dazed And Confused.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 06 - Stairway To Heaven.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 07 - Going To California.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 08 - That's The Way.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 09 - Whole Lotta Love [Medley] Boogie Chillun' Fixin To Die That's Alright.mp3
BBC Sessions (Disc 2) 10 - Thank You.mp3

Coda - 01 - We're Gonna Groove.mp3
Coda - 02 - Poor Tom.mp3
Coda - 03 - I Can't Quit You Baby.mp3
Coda - 04 - Walter's Walk.mp3
Coda - 05 - Ozone Baby.mp3
Coda - 06 - Darlene.mp3
Coda - 07 - Bonzo's Montreux.mp3
Coda - 08 - Wearing And Tearing.mp3
Coda - 09 - Baby Come On Home.mp3
Coda - 10 - Traveling Riverside Blues.mp3
Coda - 11 - White Summer_Black Mountain Side.mp3
Coda - 12 - Hey Hey What Can I Do.mp3

Peekaboo
04-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Although Stairway has been one of their most famous hits, it's not a favorite of mine. I have loved All of My Love since I first heard of Zeppelin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfcVcPWiBY

Prettymaid
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
That's probably one of my most favorites too, Jess. That and Fool In the Rain. I think it's hilarious that he's waiting for the girl on the wrong block! :hilarious:

Freypower
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
First of all a little pedantry. It's All My Love, not All Of My Love. Yes, he sings 'all of my love' throughout but that is not what the song is called.

Heart's versions of Black Dog and The Battle Of Evermore are worth hearing, (particularly Evermore, but Nancy Wilson is not Sandy Denny).

TBF, I just did a huge playlist including my Top 10 songs by all my favourite artists. Immigrant Song is one of THE classics. You cannot beat 'Valhalla I am coming' and 'we are your overlords'. A lot of people forget that Led Zeppelin had a fantastic sense of fun and were not just bombastic heavy metal (unlike many of the bands who followed them).

When the reunion happened we had a topic called 'It's Been A Long Time' and some of us listed Top 10s. I will now try and list a Top 20.

1. Stairway To Heaven - because it just IS. There is no arguing with it.
2. Kashmir - one of the most stunning pieces of music ever recorded.
3. Black Dog - it rocks and it is funny. Great lyrics.
4. Rock'n'Roll - feels so good when you hear it.
5. Trampled Underfoot - risque lyrics. Funky.
6. Immigrant Song - see above.
7. D'Yer Mak'Er - I love the feel of it.
8. Boogie With Stu (OOH my head! Rock On!)
9. Down By The Seaside - beautiful ballad
10. All My Love - written for Plant's late son
11. Fool In The Rain
12. Black Country Woman - Birmingham blues! ('You didn't have to leave me with that beer in my face)!
13. Whole Lotta Love - another anthem
14. When The Levee Breaks
15. Going To California
16. The Battle Of Evermore
17. Sick Again
18. Custard Pie
19. Ramble On
20. Misty Mountain Hop

I don't want to try and convert anybody. I am not good at it.

Peekaboo
04-30-2009, 10:49 PM
First of all a little pedantry. It's All My Love, not All Of My Love. Yes, he sings 'all of my love' throughout but that is not what the song is called.

:oops:

Either way, it's still my favorite Zeppelin song.

melrose
05-01-2009, 12:05 AM
I've never been a huge Zep fan, just a casual listener. I've always liked their style and I think they had some pretty great songs. A personal favorite of mine has always been When the Levee Breaks. Although, I'm not sure why...

TimothyBFan
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Mike---very impressive!! I also have all the albums AND cds. In fact, we have more than one copy of each album because they united when Larry & I sat up house and because we are collecting all the different album covers for In Through The Out Door. And that complete discography is also on my ipod. This is the only band other than the Eagles and The Cars that I have a complete discography on.

FP---Knew I could count on you for this topic. You and I have agreed about this group many times in the past! I like you top 20 idea but for me after the first 10 it gets a little blurry and changes from week to week depending on my mood I think so I will do a top 10.

1. Immigrant Song (like I said earlier-this is my THE song forever!!!)
2. Fool In The Rain
3. The Ocean (Just a beautiful song-and Bonzo's song for his daughter)
4. Four Sticks (love the playing on here!)
5. Kashmir (which Zep fan is this not on?)
6. All My Love
7. I Can't Quit You Baby (how bluesy-and Jimmy's guitar work!!)
8. You Shook Me (more blues!)
9. Nobody's Fault But Mine (a little more blues!)
10. Thank You (Beautiful words!)

Now that was extremely hard because after the first 5 I just have to say I love them all almost equally! Is there a bad Zeppelin tune? I think not!

This is something my son sent me YEARS ago and I archived it in my email and it still cracks me up each time I watch it. The Viking Kittens done to Immigrant Song. Fun way to learn the lyrics to the song! :hilarious:

http://users.wolfcrews.com/toys/vikings/

05-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Okay - I'm gonna come all the way clean here - and I'll start by saying that this is all just my opinion. Sorry, TBF, but I doubt that there is any converting me. I am fairly familiar with Led Zeppelin's catalog of work, but it just doesn't do much for me.

As I said in another thread, while I can appreciate their talent and that the band has achieved a special iconic status in rock 'n roll history, I personally think they are somewhat overrated. I do think that Stairway To Heaven is their one true masterpiece. I also realize that this is a very uncool opinion that many people do not share. :wink: But that's the thing - I know a lot of people who have admitted to me that they don't particularly like a lot of the band's music - but it is very uncool to admit it publicly. :lol:

Anyway, I don't think that Zep ever achieved the mass appeal of The Beatles or the Eagles. I'm not saying that their work is inferior because that's all subjective, but it just doesn't appeal to the wide array of the general public in the same way. I'm sure that I would enjoy seeing them live, although I honestly don't think I'd shell out a whole lot of cash to see them. As PM said in another thread - just not my style.

Brooke
05-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Now dreamer, never say never! lol

Honestly, I used to feel the same way.....until I watched the videos! I was amazed and still am.

TBF, LOVED the Viking Kittens! :hilarious: And I never knew the words to the song until now! Really! Thanks for that.

Freypower
05-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Dreamer, it's hard to answer your comment that Zep didn't have the mass appeal of the Beatles or Eagles. They were the biggest selling British band of the 70s along with Pink Floyd.

I decided to list a few more songs that I think people should listen to, anyway:

Communication Breakdown
Dazed & Confused
In My Time Of Dying
In The Light
Thank You
That's The Way
Achilles Last Stand
In The Evening
I'm Gonna Crawl
Houses Of The Holy
The Crunge (where's that confounded bridge)!!
Four Sticks (although this is my least favourite track on IV)

Although the Presence tracks are still 'growing' on me. They haven't the instant appeal of the IV and Physical Graffiti songs.

And a selection of favourite lyrics:

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen (DUH! Which song is that?! It is so English)!

Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair (Going To California - about Joni Mitchell)

Oh pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, yellow desert stream
My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon, I will return again
Sure as the dust that floats high in June, when movin' through Kashmir

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good (When The Levee Breaks)

And you promised you'd love so completely
and you said you would always be true
You swore that you would never leave me, baby:
What ever happened to you? (Fool In The Rain - I just love this).

Oh, well, the night is long the beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow. (The Battle Of Evermore - sigh).

Ahem... I could do this all day!

MikeA
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
"Battle of Evermore"....genius. That mandolin takes that song and just sends it to the stars! It's one song they did that rivals "Stairway" in my opinion as their Masterpiece.

But just about everything on Zoso is over the top! A friend of mine literally blew out a pair of ARs on "Black Dog" right there at the beginning with that dri ving DRUM / Guitar riff! Cranked a 100w amp to the max. The speakers literally toasted! The padding around them gave way first apparently and then they tore. The woofers. The tweets were okay. Everyone in the Apartment Complex in Fayetteville, Arkansas was rocking to that one. Played it over and over...that one album ALL NIGHT LONG! No one complained <LOL> Not even the manager!

After the ARs blew out, I pulled my rig out onto the balcony of my apt and cranked it up through my Bose 501's. No one complained about not being able to hear it. My amp would cut-out if the speaker channel wasn't handling the load so there was no danger of blowing the speakers.

A couple of kegs of beer (and whatnot) in the courtyard area of the complex and probably a hundred college aged kids who lived there with invited guests....out partying all night long and going No Where....or if they did leave, they came back!

ZEP IV hadn't been out that long and a lot of people hadn't heard much of anything other than "Stairway" off of it. Besides the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Led Zep was the rage back then with the Razorback crowd.

MikeA
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Just got my copy of Rolling Stone (June 11, 2009) and found this short blurb:

Led Zeppelin fans might need a new pair of undies after watching the amazing doc "It Might Get Loud". We got a sneak preview of the movie which documents a summit between Jimmy Page, the Edge and Jack White. In our favorite scene, Page plays "Whole Lotta Love" - while White and the Edge just stare, slack-jawed. "They look like 13-year-old boys watching a rock star," says director Davis Guggenheim. "They were like, "That's how he did it!" Guggenheim, who won an Oscar for An Inconvenient Truth, set out to capture something improvisational and organic. In Nashville, White takes some wood, string and a coke bottle, and makes a poor man's guitar in a few minutes. And the crew joins Page at the 18th -century manor where Zeppelin IV was recorded. "We learn how Page's entire life builds up to playing "Stairway to Heaven," says Guggenheim. "When you see it, you'll be like, "Holly F@&#!"

TimothyBFan
06-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Mike---SO COOL---Something to look forward to! And for the record---Jimmy Page has had that effect on me many a time!! :shock:

MikeA
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Me too Willie. I listen to a LOT of music, but my repertoire is and always has been limited in artists. Led Zep, and particularly Page were always in my list.

Eric Clapton says that the noise Cream and Led Zeppelin made "was painful". Clapton is another of those on my list but in that statement, I have to disagree. Zep took the same Blues influences that Clapton loves, but gave it a very Heavy Rock twist where Clapton tried to keep it more "pure".

I myself, like Blues both ways....and just about any other way you can think of to present it!

Freypower
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Congratulations to Robert Plant, CBE!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/images/artists/7col_in/bd53f9a7-8be9-46b0-bf7d-1deea3cb57bc.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/5796360/Led-Zepplins-Robert-Plant-awarded-CBE-by-Prince-of-Wales.html

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Thank you so much FP for that!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01441/plant_1441180c.jpg

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this part...
"Asked today if he would ever return to the stage with his old band-mates, he said: "Sometimes I go a bit deaf in either ear, especially when people are talking nonsense.""

As much as I would love to see it, it could never be the same no matter what, so I see his point. May he rock on many many more years anyways.

FP--can you help me out tho---what exactly is a CBE and it also says that Jimmy has a OBE? I know we've done this whole discussion (or similar one) before, but I don't remember.

MikeA
07-13-2009, 08:48 AM
FP--can you help me out tho---what exactly is a CBE and it also says that Jimmy has a OBE? I know we've done this whole discussion (or similar one) before, but I don't remember.

CRS

I have received that award myself multiple times...I think.

Freypower
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
CBE - Commander of the British Empire (one rank below knighthood)
OBE - Order of the British Empire (below CBE). So Robert outranks James Patrick Page Esq!

TimothyBFan
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks FP! I wonder how they decide when giving entertainers these titles, who gets which one. I think Jimmy and Robert should be on the same level but that's just me!

ticky
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
a friend of mine posted this on her Myspace and I thought of you Willie *G*
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/plant.jpg

Freypower
07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
That is just HOT. :eek::censored:

MikeA
07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
That picture of Plant; man, I feel sorry for him. That must have been taken long before the Zep got big. I mean, man, he couldn't afford a haircut, the buttons must have fallen off the remnant of cloth he was having to wear as a shirt and from his expression: looks like he's got his nose against the window outside a pastry shop. I'll bet he had jeans that had holes in them too!

Poor Robert. <sigh>

TimothyBFan
07-30-2009, 07:28 AM
:faint::drool: That is such a man!!!! God he was gorgeous. I use to flip flop back and forth between him and Jimmy! I loved the way Jimmy worked that guitar but then I would see this video (check out Robert here-he was the whole package!) OMG!!

Thanks Ticky for that one!!!!

TimothyBFan
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
That picture of Plant; man, I feel sorry for him. That must have been taken long before the Zep got big. I mean, man, he couldn't afford a haircut, the buttons must have fallen off the remnant of cloth he was having to wear as a shirt and from his expression: looks like he's got his nose against the window outside a pastry shop. I'll bet he had jeans that had holes in them too!

Poor Robert. <sigh>

You were posting while I was earlier so I just now saw this!! :hilarious: You are to funny!!!

Brooke
07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
:faint::drool: That is such a man!!!! God he was gorgeous. I use to flip flop back and forth between him and Jimmy! I loved the way Jimmy worked that guitar but then I would see this video (check out Robert here-he was the whole package!) OMG!!

Ok, yup, I definitely agree! :drool:

MikeA
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm not sure about this but Moderator, delete it if it is not something we can post here.

Thought Led Zep fans might like this ringtone: Blackdog. It is MP3 and is only 178KB in size so should work on most phones.

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/BlackDog.mp3

MikeA
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I just don't understand it. I play the same notes as Jimmy Page on Black Dog, but it just don't sound the same <LOL>

MikeA
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Here's what I got with Black Dog out of my system:

I sped it up a touch to get it closer to the original's speed. Okay, that's cheating, but I'm not angel <LOL>

TimothyBFan
08-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't care what you say Mike-I'm still impressed!! :applause:

MikeA
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't care what you say Mike-I'm still impressed!! :applause:

Awhhhh shucks Willie. Thanks. I've been going through a ton of amp models trying to figure out what Page was using for the recording. That was the closest I've found so far...A Marshal that was really cranked on gain.

The thing that I can't match is the tone from a Les Paul Standard and it's overwound humbucking pickups that Page used. Nothing I have comes even close to that sound.

Prettymaid
08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Aww Mike, get some drums on there and you won't be able to tell them apart! ;-)

MikeA
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Aww Mike, get some drums on there and you won't be able to tell them apart! ;-)

I'll come a LOT closer to covering Jimmy Page on guitar than John Bonham on drums <LOL> I'll play around with it though (so to speak!)

Freypower
10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I decided to revive this thread because I am currently reading Mick Wall's biography, When Giants Walked The Earth.

I knew all the basic facts about Zeppelin. What I wanted was some insight into the band members' personalities and their relationships with each other. Sadly, this is mostly absent. Apparently Richard Cole, the road manager, didn't like Plant much, and that is about the end of it.

Wall writes in standard British rock journalese, i.e. endless slang, and endless use of the 'f' and 'c' words. There are also a lot of spelling errors, the worst case calling one of the band's albums 'In Through the Outdoor'.

He uses a peculiar device where he tries to imagine each member's thoughts about their early careers. I was expecting that he would develop this and follow them as they became bigger, but I've now basically read the story of how Plant and Bonham met in about four separate 'flashbacks' and it is just tedious. For Page it's all about how great a session player he was but how he was gonna show them all, etc. Jones' thoughts are pretty much ignored.

Most of it is about Page. Wall takes it for granted that he's the musical genius. I don't disagree with this but Zeppelin was a band. The contributions of the other three were important too. It's Marc Eliot (To The Limit) all over again. There is a whole section on Aleister Crowley which was just annoying. I know about Crowley's influence on Page but I think it has been over emphasised.

His analysis of the albums is perhaps the strongest feature of the book, but while flipping through it, I noticed that Plant's solo career is pretty much reduced to the Alison Krauss collaboration (again, similar to Eliot's contemptuous treatment of Glenn).

One day a great biography of this seminal band will be written. This is not it.

TimothyBFan
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Thank you Julie for that!! I wondered if I should get this book but haven't simply because I have sooooo many Zep books and figured wouldn't be much more there than the others. Now I'm really glad I hadn't wasted my money.

I agree that the whole Page/Crowley thing has been overdone but also admit freely that I have absorbed everything I have ever been able to find about it, including buying books about Rock N Roll myths and legends simply because they mention it. I have always found it very fascinating, whether it's that extreme or not. I have to assume alot of it has been if for no other reason other than the fact that he has always bought so many of Crowley's personal possessions, even his home.

I find it interesting that you think his analysis of the albums is the strongest feature of the book since you said he also refers to In Through The Outdoor. You would think he would actually know the correct names of the albums. :hilarious:

I guess if I find it cheap enough at a record show or on ebay, I might pick it up just to scan through it, but I won't go out of my way or spend a good amout of money for it tho.

TimothyBFan
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Guess what Willie is asking for for Christmas!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Charles-R-Cross/dp/0061809144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1254853493&sr=8-1

This looks pretty cool!! I bought one for Katie that was similar last year of the Doors.

Troubadour
10-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Cool! Hope Santa's taking notes.

Brooke
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Thought you Zep fans might be interested in a new book with lots of rare photos!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/10/08/rarely-seen-led-zeppelin-images-surface-in-new-photo-book/

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Visual-Biography-Ultimate/dp/081095009X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255549107&sr=1-2

Product Description
Good Times, Bad Times: Led Zeppelin captures the public and private lives of rock gods Led Zeppelin through rare and iconic photographs. More than any other band, they embodied the rock-star lifestyle of sex, drugs, and rock and roll and came to define the music and culture of the 1970s. Forty years after the release of their first album in 1969, Led Zeppelin—Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham— continues to fascinate and inspire legions of fans, young and old alike.
A general overview of the band’s history will introduce the core of the book: a gallery of more than 200 photographs, laid out in chronological order, more than half of which have never been published. Whether onstage, backstage, recording in the studio, on tour, or at home—the band is shown as never before. From their very first performance in Denmark on September 7, 1968 (as the new Yardbirds) to their last performance in London in 2007, this collection of images will remind die-hard fans why the group became, and remains, one of the greatest and most notorious bands in the history of rock and roll.

EagleLady
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I am gonna see if Booksamillion has it. Willie, I have seen the light:hilarious: You are responsible for my newly found interest in Zeppelin.

Freypower
10-14-2009, 05:13 PM
You will have to tell us which songs you like, EL.

After I finished reading When Giants Walked The Earth I re-read Stephen Davis' Hammer Of The Gods. A lot of this consisted of tedious stories of groupies, drugs, etc. However I thought at its heart it was more honest than Wall's book. It also didn't write off Plant's solo career in a couple of paragraphs.

I also have been listening to all 84 Zeppelin tracks on my iPod and have been impressed by some lesser known songs or songs that I didn't know as well. These include Wearing & Tearing, Hots On For Nowhere, Your Time Is Gonna Come. Some of the tracks from Physical Graffiti that I've had trouble getting to know I have made an effort to get them stuck in my mind - The Rover & Night Flight being the best examples.

Yesterday it played the awesome In My Time Of Dying and I thought 'not Stairway next, please'. Sure enough, Stairway was the very next song.

EagleLady
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
I really like Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love.

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Brooke- you're funny-see my post #41. On my wish list for sure.

EL-Good for you! But like FP said-there are soooooo many obscure Zep tunes that you just don't hear. Please check some of them out as well. I assure you that you will really like a lot of those besides the hits. If you need any suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm overjoyed that you have become a fan. They will not disappoint I assure you!

FP- I play the entire discography on my ipod alot and go all the way thru it. Your reaction to Stairway sounds just like me. A lot of the time I actually skip over it. Good song, but I've heard it and heard it-thank you very much! In My Time Of Dying, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Ozone Baby & The Crunge have been getting special attention from me lately. I can assure you that will all change again soon. It's never the same songs for me. Depends on my mood I guess.

We've got EL-who's next? ;-)

MikeA
10-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Well, I've been a Zep fan for as long as I've been a Walsh fan....longer than I've been an Eagles fan.

But, as good as "Stairway" is, I do get tired of it at times. I think my two favorites are "Black Dog" and "Battle of Evermore". However, I like the way "Heart" does "Evermore" better than the way Zep does it.

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 08:52 AM
However, I like the way "Heart" does "Evermore" better than the way Zep does it.

Blasphemy my friend!!! :stunned: Just kidding! I really like the way Heart does any Zep song. They probably do more justice to Zep than anyone else who has ever covered them. I still like Zep's versions better tho. JMO

I know what you mean-I've been a fan of Zep as long as the Eagles I'm pretty sure. My love for them NEVER waivered!!

Oh-BTW Mike-- I was including you in the "we've"! I knew you were a fellow Zep fan.

Prettymaid
10-15-2009, 09:07 AM

For me to like a band I have to like the vocals. I just do not like Plant's vocals. The exception? (and I always seem to find one) is In The Mood.

MikeA
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
For me personally, Led Zeppelin was a "crossover" experience. Prior to them, with very few exceptions, I really preferred traditional Blues. Zep took Blues/Rock to another level. Joe was pretty much Rock all the way and I really got off on his talent.

Cathy, I sort of agree with you on Plant. He has (or at least had) a voice as unique as that of Rod Stewart but it was really not what drew me to the Zep. It was their entire approach to Blues that capture my attention.

luvthelighthouse
10-15-2009, 11:59 AM
I just heard on the radio that today in history was the first performance by LZ, however, they were still going under the name of The New Yardbirds.

Not really what you guys were talking about... but I thought of you all!

TimothyBFan
10-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Cool tidbit ltlh!! :thumbsup:

See, I've got ya all thinking about me whenever Stairway To Heaven comes on the radio now don't I? Sorry about that.:hilarious:

Freypower
10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Brooke- you're funny-see my post #41. On my wish list for sure.

EL-Good for you! But like FP said-there are soooooo many obscure Zep tunes that you just don't hear. Please check some of them out as well. I assure you that you will really like a lot of those besides the hits. If you need any suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm overjoyed that you have become a fan. They will not disappoint I assure you!

FP- I play the entire discography on my ipod alot and go all the way thru it. Your reaction to Stairway sounds just like me. A lot of the time I actually skip over it. Good song, but I've heard it and heard it-thank you very much! In My Time Of Dying, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Ozone Baby & The Crunge have been getting special attention from me lately. I can assure you that will all change again soon. It's never the same songs for me. Depends on my mood I guess.

I think I gave the wrong impression! All I thought was 'surely I can't listen to this straight after In My Time Of Dying'. However, as soon as it started I was even more awestruck by it than I usually am. In fact it made me cry which it doesn't do often.

I heard Nobody's Fault But Mine later. Plant could rock that harmonica. As for The Crunge, to me they're paying tribute to James Brown. I don't think the song is nearly as bad as some critics seem to think.

TimothyBFan
10-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood FP. I really do feel it's been played to death tho.

I never thought about the Crunge that way. Makes sense and makes me wonder if that is the case.

Freypower
10-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Rollingstone.com has some photos from the new book:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/5/3/8/30358359-30358360-large.jpg

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/3/3/8/30358339-30358340-large.jpg

Nice!!!

Brooke
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Very nice! :smokin:

And Fp, your sig is hilarious!

TimothyBFan
10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Rollingstone.com has some photos from the new book:

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/5/3/8/30358359-30358360-large.jpg

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/9/3/3/8/30358339-30358340-large.jpg

Nice!!!

OMG!!!Gorgeous!!

TimothyBFan
10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
A little :angel: from the board gave me this picture postcard. HOT!!!

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2009/03/17/20090317_fakebook_zep_33.jpg

and I also found this view...

http://justwilliam1959.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/led_zeppelin_picture.jpg

Then I found this one that they had colored.
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/42469/Led+Zeppelin.jpg

Inside the plane...
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00365/F_200709_September1_365694a.jpg

The plane picture is apparently a very famous one and you can find thousands of them on google images. Who knew?

TimothyBFan
10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Trying to get my mind off Timothy ;). Not really but I was trying to find something and one thing led to another and this is what I have ended up doing the past half hour. I really need a life.

How depressing is this picture? Wow--Robert! Yikes!
http://www.superiorpics.com/wenn_album/Robert_Plant_-_Replacement_Plans_/robert_plant_001_092108.jpg

and...
http://powerlinead.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/jimmy_page.jpg

In my mind they will always look like this...
http://www.kingkoncert.com/Portals/7ecbf8d1-c7e0-4596-974c-cd348ddfe15f/Robert%20Plant%201993%20sized.jpg

and...
http://www.freewebs.com/guitaristsindahouse/jimmy%20page.jpg

Brooke
10-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Willie, some very smokin' pics there! Wow!

And I'm with you, they will always look like the earlier pics in my mind when I think of them. :nod:

EagleLady
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I am gonna pick up The Good Times Bad Times book soon, I looked through it at BooksAMillion the other day. Some very HSG Pictures of Mr. Plant in there :smitten:

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
This came up in discussion the other day with my kids. I know what I've read about the 2 songs and such but wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard anything.

Why basically the same name on 2 different songs on 2 different albums? I'm talking about Bron-Yr-Aur (instrumental from Physical Graffiti) and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (from Zeppelin III). I've heard about the misspelling of the latter on the original album cover etc... and know that the titles originate from a cottage in Wales of the same name where Zeppelin had "chilled out" after a tour and writing. Anything else or a reason why the same name for 2 different songs?

FP or Mike I know you guys probably have some info on this?

MikeA
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually, I do not have any knowledge of this Willie. While I love listening to Zep, I have not "studied" them. Sorry.

Freypower
01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
This came up in discussion the other day with my kids. I know what I've read about the 2 songs and such but wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard anything.

Why basically the same name on 2 different songs on 2 different albums? I'm talking about Bron-Yr-Aur (instrumental from Physical Graffiti) and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (from Zeppelin III). I've heard about the misspelling of the latter on the original album cover etc... and know that the titles originate from a cottage in Wales of the same name where Zeppelin had "chilled out" after a tour and writing. Anything else or a reason why the same name for 2 different songs?

FP or Mike I know you guys probably have some info on this?

The cottage was called Bron-Yr-Aur (Welsh for variously 'golden hill', 'breast of gold' or 'hill of gold' pronounced Bron-raaar) but all Mick Wall's book says is that the Zep III track is misspelled. Stephen Davis' Hammer Of The Gods states that Bron-Yr-Aur dates from the Zep III sessions. So it seems to me they used the second version of the track for Graffiti and corrected the title.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
This is what Wiki says:

"

The song is named after Bron-Yr-Aur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bron-Yr-Aur), a house in Gwynedd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynedd), Wales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales), where the members of Led Zeppelin retreated in 1970 to write much of Led Zeppelin III after having completed a grueling concert tour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_tour) of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States). Bron-Yr-Aur means "golden breast" or "breast of gold" in Welsh, as in a hillside of gold. Its pronunciation is [ˈbrɔn ər ˈaɪr] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_Welsh). The cottage had no electricity or running water, but the change of scenery provided inspiration for many of the songs on the album, including "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp".
The song's title was misspelled on the album cover during initial printing; it should read "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp". This error can be contrasted to another Led Zeppelin track, "Bron-Yr-Aur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bron-Yr-Aur_%28song%29)," a two-minute instrumental (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental) featured on their later album Physical Graffiti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Graffiti), which was spelled correctly. When the song appeared on the 2003 DVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_%28DVD%29), it was spelled correctly both on the back cover of the set and the DVD's menu, although without the hyphens ("Bron Yr Aur Stomp"), and on the live album How the West Was Won (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_the_West_Was_Won_%28Led_Zeppelin_album%29) it was spelled "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp""

But it's still 2 different songs with basically the same name? That cottage must of really been special to earn 2 songs named after it. :hilarious:

Hmmm-a cottage in Wales with no electric or running water BUT it does have the 70's Jimmy Page....I could live with that! ;)

Looking something like this. :heybaby:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPage5.jpg

BTW--Might as well post this one also. Found it a few days ago. Doesn't he look so handsome and happy here?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPage4.jpg

Freypower
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice photo. I think you've hit the nail on the head. The place was special enough to the band to warrant them naming two tracks after it.

TimothyBFan
05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't know how many of you might actually listen to NPR radio. There is a show on it called Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me. Yesterday Jerry Weintraub was on it. He is a Hollywood producer and organizer and has worked with several rock acts like Dylan, Zep, John Denver, Elvis etc... He told a few stories about some of the acts including Denver and Zeppelin.

He told a story about the first show he worked with Zeppelin, during the intermission, Jimmy Page came backstage and was complaining to him about the sound being so bad and that he couldn't hear himself play Stairway To Heaven. He told Jimmy that everything was fine and that he sounded terrific but Jimmy kept complaining. So he told Jimmy he would fix it for the following night. He then sent everyone out the next day to get as many cardboard boxes as he could get, had them all painted black and stacked them up on stage all over. Said they were stacked to the ceiling. When Jimmy came off the stage that night, he said to Jerry, "wow, that sound!". :hilarious:

Freypower
05-02-2010, 08:06 PM
As this thread has been revived I thought you might like to see Robert Plant the football fan surrounded with memorabilia of his beloved Wolverhampton Wanderers.

http://cdn.fourfourtwo.com/contentimages/interviews/Robert-Plant1.jpg

He even used a stylised Wolves logo on the Now And Zen album cover:

http://images.coveralia.com/audio/r/Robert_Plant-Now_And_Zen-Frontal.jpg

And as I am here, isn't this nice! A rare photo of Percy playing guitar.

http://www.kweevak.com/2000-graphics-articles/2007-04-01-robert-plant-01.jpg

TimothyBFan
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Seems Jimmy is getting his own photo autobiography published next month but the Deluxe editions are already sold out and the limited edition that is signed is waaaaay out of my price range. There had better be an edition for us "average" fans also.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/official-jimmy-page-book-published-in-september/

MikeA
08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I like Page, but I don't want to be indentured to him!

TimothyBFan
08-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I do! :heybaby:

Troubadour
08-24-2010, 01:01 PM
LOL!

That photo autobiography sounds seriously cool.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm bringing some of the bands' threads forward of bands that I like. Led Zeppelin is probably my favorite if not one of my top favorite hard rock blues-based bands. Jimmy Page is amazing, and he got his main guitar (Gibson Les Paul) from Joe Walsh!!! Huge fan of Page's guitar playing and Zep's songs.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Your really scoring points with me Austin!! :thumbsup:

MikeA
11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I almost feel like a traitor here on The Border in saying this, but Zep occupies the lion's share of my memory on my MP3. Page just sort of exuded music on that guitar....just squeezed it out of the neck somehow.

Favorite album I think would be ZOSO (Led Zep IV). But for a favorite song by ZEP...that's a tough one. Really like "Battle of Evermore" but like "Blackdog" and "When The Levey Breaks" and can't forget "Going To California" and "Misty Mountain Hop"....oh heck, I pretty much like all of them though I've sort of burned out on "Stairway".

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I almost feel like a traitor here on The Border in saying this, but Zep occupies the lion's share of my memory on my MP3. Page just sort of exuded music on that guitar....just squeezed it out of the neck somehow.

Favorite album I think would be ZOSO (Led Zep IV). But for a favorite song by ZEP...that's a tough one. Really like "Battle of Evermore" but like "Blackdog" and "When The Levey Breaks" and can't forget "Going To California" and "Misty Mountain Hop"....oh heck, I pretty much like all of them though I've sort of burned out on "Stairway".

Misty Mountain Hop is my personal favorite Zep song. My 2nd favorite is The Ocean.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Your really scoring points with me Austin!! :thumbsup:

Hehe!

Freypower
11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I see this has been revived too & I wish I could add more to what I wrote earlier in the thread. I was a late convert to Led Zeppelin. If I were to rank the albums I would say:

Led Zeppelin IV
Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin III
Houses Of The Holy
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin
In Through The Out Door
Presence

I'm looking at my iTunes list of the songs & most of them have ratings of either 5 or 4 stars.

I was raving on in the Beatles thread about their 'English' songs particularly on Sgt Pepper. For Zeppelin the classic examples of being 'English' are Stairway To Heaven but also songs like Tea For One, Black Country Woman, Down By The Seaside, Ramble On, Gallows Pole, The Battle of Evermore.

TimothyBFan
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I pretty much like all of them though I've sort of burned out on "Stairway".

I totally agree!! It just seems so "overused" or something. It kills me when people say things like the only song they know by Zep is Stairway. I've actually had discussions with people that say "I don't like Zep except for Stairway to Heaven". Seriously???

As far as ranking their albums or songs....Impossible for me really. I can tell you my favorite Zep song has always been Immigrant Song followed by The Ocean and Fool In The Rain but after that, it just depends on my mood.

This is truly the ONLY band that I can stick their whole discography on, and NOT skip a song on it!! Truly!!! I can't even say that about the Eagles (I'm ashamed to say-Journey of the Sorcerer comes to mind), The Cars or Sweet.

11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
It kills me when people say things like the only song they know by Zep is Stairway. I've actually had discussions with people that say "I don't like Zep except for Stairway to Heaven". Seriously???

Yep - seriously Willie. And I know you find this unfathomable but I know quite a few people like that. While I myself am pretty familiar with their catalog, Stairway to Heaven is the only song that I like a lot. What can I say ... just not my thing. Maybe I'm not normal. :shrug:

Freypower
11-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I totally agree!! It just seems so "overused" or something. It kills me when people say things like the only song they know by Zep is Stairway. I've actually had discussions with people that say "I don't like Zep except for Stairway to Heaven". Seriously???

As far as ranking their albums or songs....Impossible for me really. I can tell you my favorite Zep song has always been Immigrant Song followed by The Ocean and Fool In The Rain but after that, it just depends on my mood.

This is truly the ONLY band that I can stick their whole discography on, and NOT skip a song on it!! Truly!!! I can't even say that about the Eagles (I'm ashamed to say-Journey of the Sorcerer comes to mind), The Cars or Sweet.

I love Stairway & will never tire of it.

If I had to name a song which is fairly well known but I think is just ordinary, it would be The Song Remains The Same (even if they named a film & live album after it) & also Hats Off To (Roy) Harper.

TimothyBFan
11-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Yep - seriously Willie. And I know you find this unfathomable but I know quite a few people like that. While I myself am pretty familiar with their catalog, Stairway to Heaven is the only song that I like a lot. What can I say ... just not my thing. Maybe I'm not normal. :shrug:

Actually Dreamer, I believe you are the norm when it comes to Zep.

Please understand, I'm not putting anyone down for not being an avid Zep fan. I love Stairway but it is not, by far, my favorite song and I think a lot of people (not you because you say you are familiar with their catalog) if they really listened would realize there are a lot better songs than Stairway that Zep has done. JMO. They certainly are not everyone's cup of tea!

11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Willie I know you weren't trying to put anybody down - I was just pulling your chains a little. But seriously, I think that Zeppelin is a band that people either love or dislike - not many in betweeners. As is true with any big band, there are some people who declare themselves as haters even though they aren't even that familiar with their music. But I played my Mothership CD for my very cool 19 year old niece one day and told her she could have it - she politely declined. The music didn't 'grab' her enough so that she was willing to give it another listen. I know the music because I grew up with it, and they were supposed to be so cool so I listened. But honestly, even when Zep was at their height, I just wasn't able to embrace their music. I bought the Mothership CD several years ago thinking maybe after all these years, I would have a change of heart. But I didn't. What can I say - I'm so uncool! :wink:

As I've said before, I'm not a Zeppelin hater - I appreciate their contribution to rock and roll, and recognize that they are in an elite group with only a few other bands.

MikeA
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
The lines of "love/hate/ambivalence" definitely existed even with the younger demographic when it came to Led Zep. To the purist, they were not really Rock N Roll. But they weren't Blues or Soul and definitely were not Country so they were not targeting themselves toward a particular genre back in the late 60's and early 70's. In a way, they were a lot more like Eagles than they were different.

Both groups were shooting for a crossover type music. With the Eagles, it was a blend of Country and Rock. With Zep, it was a blend of Rock and Blues. While Rock was always a genre that came out of Blues/Gospel influences, Zep really emphasized the Blues.

But they really Rocked it out in a way no one else had done it. Cream, John Mayall, and others were doing "modern blues" but Zep took it over the top.

They just didn't fit a category. They sort of bridged that Blues/Rock thing and it really appealed to many people who were devotees to one or the other genre. Many of the Rock purists didn't buy into it and many of the Blues purists didn't buy it! But there sure were a lot of people who DID. And, I think that is is pretty well accepted that Zep was the origination or at least the inspiration for the Metal and probably the Punk genres.

I myself got addicted to Zep. They actually pulled me into the Rock genre as a diehard fan BECAUSE they held to that Blues emphasis because up until that point, while I listened to a lot of Rock (anything but Country), it was really hard to find new Blues stuff. Pretty much, Clapton, Hendrix, Joplin, and Guy were about the only ones I really got into except for James Gang (Walsh's guitar work enthralled me!). So Zep really appealed to me. They formed a genre that was what I'd been getting only hints of prior to their emergence.

There were certainly a lot of folks though who didn't trip on them like I did.

Oh, and it didn't hurt anything at all that Jimmy Page played guitar like a Frenzied Demon!

TimothyBFan
11-18-2010, 01:07 PM
I think that Zeppelin is a band that people either love or dislike - not many in betweeners.

In my last post, I almost put that exact thing. I think you are spot on there.

I myself got addicted to Zep. They actually pulled me into the Rock genre as a diehard fan BECAUSE they held to that Blues emphasis because up until that point, while I listened to a lot of Rock (anything but Country), it was really hard to find new Blues stuff. Pretty much, Clapton, Hendrix, Joplin, and Guy were about the only ones I really got into except for James Gang (Walsh's guitar work enthralled me!). So Zep really appealed to me. They formed a genre that was what I'd been getting only hints of prior to their emergence.Love this Mike! Really cool.

I'm not really sure when I discovered them but I know it was early on in my life. I don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't just the music they made (tho it was some of the GREATEST stuff I had ever heard in my young life) that pulled me in. It was the pure "sexuality" that Jimmy Page & Robert Plant exuded. Whenever I was lucky enough to see them on a tv show, I just couldn't turn away. Add to that, hearing the sounds that came out of Jimmy Page's guitar............http://bestsmileys.com/fireworks/5.gif

Ok I need to go take a cold shower now!http://bestsmileys.com/bath/2.gif http://bestsmileys.com/blushing/3.gif

Troubadour
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM
You are so right, Willie. I used to watch The Song Remains The Same constantly when I was about 16... I thought Robert Plant was the sexiest thing in the world! His curly hair, tight jeans, bare chest, and his VOICE... I was completely in love. I loved the bluesy/folk elements to their music. The lyrics were often very fantastical and whimsical (as illustrated by the acted sequences in the film.) That appealed to me.

I understand why some people might find them a bit "much", but I put on Led Zeppelin II and it blows me away, from beginning to end. The sexual rawness of Whole Lotta Love and The Lemon Song, the beautiful, slow, romantic Thank You, Bonham's amazing drum solo in the form of Moby Dick... It has so many different elements, but the way it flows is perfect - it really takes you on a journey. One of my favourite albums of all-time.

Since I've Been Loving You, When The Levee Breaks and Tangerine are other favourite songs of mine not present on that album.

WalshFan88
11-19-2010, 06:15 AM
One of the biggest reason I like Led Zeppelin is Jimmy Page's guitar style. What he did with the bow and the guitar and just his style is/was pretty unique. He's one of my absolute favorite players. But Zeppelin in general is a great band.

My top dozen favorite songs are Misty Mountain Hop, The Ocean, Rock and Roll, Heartbreaker, Dazed and Confused, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Livin' Lovin Maid', Immigrant Song, Communication Breakdown, and Since I've Been Loving You. Honorable mention to Thank You. For a slower one, I really like Thank You. You notice I didn't mention Stairway. I'm pretty burnt out on that one. I actually prefer "Thank You" over Stairway for the slower Zep song. Thank You is probably one of my favorite slower rock songs in general actually.

Freypower
11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Out of interest does anyone have any of Robert Plant's solo albums? We have every one, including the new one Band of Joy, which I got for my birthday so haven't heard yet.

My favourite solo albums are Fate of Nations, Now & Zen & Manic Nirvana, but my all time favourite solo song is Big Log (I got a shock when I read a description of it which said it sounds like Dire Straits. I swear the comparison had never occurred to me once).

Other favourite solo tracks:

Hurtin' Kind (I've Got My Eyes On You)
Tall Cool One
Tie Dye On The Highway
Helen Of Troy
29 Palms
If I Were A Carpenter
If It's Really Got To Be This Way
Freedom Fries
Heaven Knows
Ship Of Fools
I Believe

TimothyBFan
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
FP- I have Now & Zen & Fate of Nations. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Band Of Joy. I do not have it but they have been playing a couple of cuts off of it on Sirius radio and I really like You Can't Buy My Love. Besides, the cover of the album is really cool! :hilarious:

Do you guys own either of The Firm albums with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers, The Firm and Mean Business? I have them both and really loved them. Just to bad they only did 2 albums and weren't together very long. Love the songs Radioactive, Satisfaction Guaranteed and All The King's Horses. The video for All The King's Horses was fabulous!!

Freypower
11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
We don't have The Firm (or the album he did with David 'Coverversion' to Plan'ts horror). We have the Page solo album Outrider which I haven't heard yet, the album with Plant, Walking Into Clarksdale which I didn't like much & Page's live album with the Black Crowes which I am afraid I don't have to listen to if I can listen to Unledded.

TimothyBFan
11-23-2010, 10:24 AM
We have Outrider and it's ok but nothing to write home about. We also have an old album called Special Early Works. Lots of old blues stuff and again, not all that great. I guess he doesn't really need solo stuff when he does so well with others.

I watched this yesterday. I know it gets a lot of talk about how wasted he was during it but I never get tired of watching this! I don't know why I like it more than a lot. Just something about it I guess. And then add to it Clapton & Beck and you can't go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlEVtA_TGQ

And speaking of The Firm....This is one of my all time favorite videos ever. I just want to curl up in a chair right next to him and be swept away by his playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV67R3SLvzY

A couple more of The Firm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3973tfsllqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA

This one always reminds me of the dream sequences from Song Remains The Same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUY-TCOWsS4

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 02:58 AM
I don't have any Plant solo albums yet but I've heard quite a bit of them.

MikeA
01-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Austin, this may have been posted before, but it's worth going to YouTube and giving it a listen and read the comments posted by the uploader. It talks about the guitars and pedals used during the recording and live performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA

WalshFan88
01-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Austin, this may have been posted before, but it's worth going to YouTube and giving it a listen and read the comments posted by the uploader. It talks about the guitars and pedals used during the recording and live performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA

Very cool Mike.... Page used a couple Teles before he got that LP from Walsh. That seemed to be his main axe from then on, occasionally playing a Danelectro or a Tele here or there.

TimothyBFan
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
From the book Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse....

Pg 48-Friends, Jimmy Page says-"Robert wrote the words. He did them all on Led Zeppelin III except on Tangerine. The idea was to get an Indiana style with the stings. The string players were not Indian, however, and we had to make some on the spot changes. John Paul Jones wrote an incredible string arrangement for this, and Robert shows his great range-incredibly high. He's got a lot of different sides to his voice which come across here. It has a menacing atmosphere. A friend came into the studio during the recording and it was bloody loud and he had to leave. He said, 'You've really done something evil!'"

TimothyBFan
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Been counting down on FB for the official Jimmy Page website. It's all him with all kinds of never before seen and heard video and audio clips, etc.... He also has a "On This Day" with something new posted everyday regarding his career. I received my email this morning regarding today being the unveiling. To have access to the whole site, you have to register for membership. Here's the link if anyone's interest. Looks and sounds like it's going to really be fantastic!!

http://www.jimmypage.com/

So much stuff (starting with the pictures!). I'm going in and will be spending the morning in Jimmy Page heaven. See ya all soon!! :hilarious:

Koala
07-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Cool, thanks for the link!:thumbsup:

WalshFan88
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Very cool! Can't wait to look at it. Just wish it wasn't down right now! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
New update on FB....

Jimmy Page (https://www.facebook.com/JimmyPageOfficial)
Thank you for your kind comments about JimmyPage.com and patience while we work through some technical teething problems. The traffic levels have been stratospheric, so please try again later if you experience any problems. All will be resolved as quickly as possible

Troubadour
07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Looks like a great site! Always nice to have a new playground, huh Willie? ;)

TimothyBFan
07-18-2011, 09:54 AM
You betcha. And since it was down most of that first day, I haven't had a chance to indulge myself. Today just might be the day!!!

TimothyBFan
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Just spent a little time over there and they have a "on this day" and today it's 1970 playing Frankfurt Germany and how Elvis was in the audience. The song that is playing is an Elvis song. Thought of Monique of course.

Here's a few really great photos there. WOW!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPagecom3.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPagecom2.jpghttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPagecom1.jpg

Brooke
07-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Great pics! He was very lovely to look at, wasn't he?! :eyebrow:

Of course, he still is!

TimothyBFan
07-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Great pics! He was very lovely to look at, wasn't he?! :eyebrow:

Of course, he still is!

I hadn't noticed! :lie:

Freypower
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
The white hair makes him look like a classical musician - Beethoven or the famous conductor Herbert von Karajan.

(Love Houses Of The Holy, Willie)!

Troubadour
07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPagecom2.jpg

This is my favourite. Look at that sweet face!

TimothyBFan
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
The white hair makes him look like a classical musician - Beethoven or the famous conductor Herbert von Karajan.

(Love Houses Of The Holy, Willie)!

Hadn't thought of that FP, but you're right. Very distinguished.

Love Houses Of The Holy also and that is one of my favorite lyrics ever. In fact, it's on my bank checks. They are covered with music notes and above the signature line they read, "Let the music be your master".

Troub---That is a gorgeous picture!!!

Here's another awesome one. This one is my phone wallpaper at the moment.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/JimmyPage10.jpg

Brooke
07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
WOW! Very hot! I love that one! :drool:

Freypower
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
EEK. I'm a Robert girl but that is wonderful.

Koala
07-21-2011, 01:44 AM
WOW, love the last photo, hot!

TimothyBFan
07-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Isn't it tho?!?!? He is just the epitome of Rock God!!! Seriously, look up "Rock God" in the dictionary---there's a picture of Jimmy Page! :hilarious:

He just makes me swoon whether I'm watching him play or just looking at a picture. His sensuality is right in your face, ALL THE TIME!!! Enough said!

sodascouts
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I got a big surprise last night!

My friend Kristin is a big Patty Griffin fan. She was playing Meridian, Mississippi last night, which is right on the way back to Kristin's house from Atlanta where we saw Lindsey Buckingham. She persuaded us to go to the Patty show with her, since we would be driving through the town anyway.

I was game, although I hadn't heard anything by Patty before. Now, Meridian is a small town, and Mississippi is not exactly the center of the music world. The theater we saw her in was teeny-tiny and very old.

Therefore, when I glimpsed a 60+ guy in a T-shirt and jeans with crazy, curly blond hair walking by talking to a couple other guys as my friends and I were in the parking lot by the stage door, I didn't think anything of it. I figured he must be one of Patty's backing musicians or something.

We went in and I was in the ladies' room when I heard a couple women talking. "Robert Plant is here! Maybe he'll perform with her!" My jaw dropped as I realized that guy that I saw didn't just look like Robert Plant, he WAS Robert Plant!!

I immediately told Kristin what I'd heard in the bathroom as soon as I got back to the lobby, and asked her if she'd heard anything about this. She said no, but that Patty had toured with Robert Plant a year ago, and they've been good friends ever since! In fact, I later discovered that it's rumored they're more than friends...

When we got into the auditorium, I heard people once again whispering and pointing. "He's in the back of the theater! He's over there!" However, he slipped away before I could get a good look at him.

He came out for the encore. Patty introduced him as her "dear friend Robert Plant." Everyone went wild. He said some really nice things about Patty - about how he had been in Tennessee for a music festival (turns out he was with Patty there too), and had come down to Mississippi just to see Patty's gig (apparently this is the last one she's doing solo for a while). He said that he thought she was wonderful and that she'd taught him a lot - "retrained" him in the way he looked at music, even though he'd been in the business for decades. He performed "Sea of Heartbreak" with Patty harmonizing! It sounded terrific!

I tried to take photos with my camera phone but they came out all blurry. :(

As soon as I left the venue I texted Willie, knowing how thrilled she'd be! My friends and I even waited outside the stage door for an hour. I was hoping to get a photo of him to share. Sadly, they must have gone out another exit, because they never came out that one!

I have to say, it was pretty darn cool regardless!!!

Freypower
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Good GRIEF, Soda. I would have died, there & then. :drool:

TimothyBFan
10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
As soon as I left the venue I texted Willie, knowing how thrilled she'd be! My friends and I even waited outside the stage door for an hour. I was hoping to get a photo of him to share. Sadly, they must have gone out another exit, because they never came out that one!

I have to say, it was pretty darn cool regardless!!!

Thrilled doesn't even describe it!!!! I didn't even read the message right--I thought she was still in Atlanta at Lindsey's show even tho she clearly stated she was at the Patty Griffin show in Mississippi. All I saw was "I just saw Robert Plant" and lost it!

Lou and I were talking about not even being able to imagine just running into Robert Plant in a parking lot and what we would do. I would have dropped to the ground, bowing while kissing his feet and crying "I'm not worthy". Yup----that's about right!!! http://bestsmileys.com/bowing/2.gif

Brooke
10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow! Very cool, Soda! :thumbsup:

10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Now that is freakin' cool. Just imagine saying "And oh by the way, on my way to a Lindsey Buckingham show, I just happened to run into Robert Plant." :partytime:

Freypower
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Nobody could deserve this more except R. Plant CBE, who ironically has the higher honour at the moment.

http://www.undercover.fm/news/15803-sir-jimmy-page

TimothyBFan
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Jimmy Page for Knighthood... Jimmy Page for Knighthood....!!!!

TimothyBFan
02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
As I've stated before, on Jimmy's official page, JimmyPage.com, he always as an "On This Day....". Today's was especially interesting.

On this day… 03 Feb 2001
I saw Joe Walsh at the Gulfstream Park racetrack in Miami

I was temporarily living in Miami, Florida, and Joe Walsh was playing at the Gulfstream Park racetrack. Joe’s an old friend and our connection goes back to some of the American dates I was doing with The Yardbirds as a four-piece when he would come and see us play. He then had The James Gang. In his career he made some good solo albums. Here in Florida he was on sabbatical from the Eagles and it was good to hear his solo set, he played and sang so well and it was good to catch up with some old and new stories.

It also included an audio of Rocky Mountain Way.

http://www.jimmypage.com/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

WalshFan88
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Very cool!

Yeah Walsh sold Page his main guitar in the 70s - pretty cool. Everything from Zep II on was that '59 Les Paul Joe sold Jimmy. The first album and I think part of II was a Telecaster he had from the Yardbirds days but that big fat guitar tone was that LP with a Marshall. My fav, Zep IV was all LP and had that great rock tone.

There is a video about Page's guitar and how he got it from Walsh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSz5vD9Dho

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I love it!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
OK. They got me. I'm hooked. I'm dying to know what's going on with the countdown and now the youtube video that is cheering from the audience and nothing else. I can't stand it! I need to know NOW!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-four-posting-hints-pending-announcement/

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-five/

TimothyBFan
09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
VA--- I was just coming here to do the same thing!!

They just posted this a few minutes ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXIU4nW-ZUc&feature=youtu.be

And this this morning....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=380623855343392&set=a.215308741874905.53046.131572223581891&type=1&theater

I'm LOVING this!! I've been sharing them all on FB also. I can't wait till Thursday to find out if it is the 02 show!!!

I might have to get Jimmy on the horn and see if he'll spill the beans to me. :hilarious:

prayfordaylight
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I saw the FB posts too. I'm intrigued but not holding my breath. They can't get along for 5 minutes it seems.

Troubadour
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Intriguing!

Freypower
09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I've been following it as well.

We have a bootleg of the reunion show; this would hopefully be a 'real' version.

TimothyBFan
09-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I saw the FB posts too. I'm intrigued but not holding my breath. They can't get along for 5 minutes it seems.

I don't believe for a minute that it has anything to do with a reunion (but hell does freeze over periodically). Robert has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't wish to do anything of the sort and in fact, has a couple other projects lined up to keep him busy for the next couple of years.

prayfordaylight
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't believe for a minute that it has anything to do with a reunion (but hell does freeze over periodically). Robert has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't wish to do anything of the sort and in fact, has a couple other projects lined up to keep him busy for the next couple of years.

That's what I figured - people are wildly speculating of course. I'm guessing it's the Reunion DVD.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Today was the sound/applause from a live show... I hope this is a DVD of the O2 concert. And I hope it's available soon.

sodascouts
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
What a fantastic marketing strategy. Everyone's talking about it!

TimothyBFan
09-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Today was the sound/applause from a live show... I hope this is a DVD of the O2 concert. And I hope it's available soon.

No II/2 yet!!! I don't know about anyone else, but the sound of that crowd going nuts with Jimmy's opening notes of Good Times, Bad Times just gave me chills!!!

I hope it's that dvd and you can be guaranteed I will have it pre-ordered as soon as I hear about it!!!

Troubadour
09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
What a fantastic marketing strategy. Everyone's talking about it!

Totally agree! Very clever.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
No II/2 yet!!! I don't know about anyone else, but the sound of that crowd going nuts with Jimmy's opening notes of Good Times, Bad Times just gave me chills!!!

I hope it's that dvd and you can be guaranteed I will have it pre-ordered as soon as I hear about it!!!

I got the II just minutes before the audio file! You better look again!

TimothyBFan
09-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Oops! Got so excited about the audio file, skipped right over the II.

WalshFan88
09-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Very exciting!!

TimothyBFan
09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
This from the Sirius XM Classic Vinyl FB page this morning:

LED ZEPPELIN: Another Clue....
As speculation continues to mount that Led Zeppelin will announce the release of their 2007 reunion show later this week, we've gotten another clue. Their Facebook page now has a 16-second clip showing the four band members' symbols from their fourth album in front of a black backdrop while an audience cheers. Sources say the show at London's O2 Arena will be out on DVD and CD in November..............The set list from that show:
1) Good Times, Bad Times
2) Ramble On
3) Black Dog
4) In My Time of Dying
5) For Your Life
6) Trampled Underfoot
7) Nobody's Fault but Mine
8) No Quarter
9) Since I've Been Lovin' You
10) Dazed and Confused
11) Stairway to Heaven
12) The Song Remains the Same
13) Misty Mountain Hop
14) Kashmir
Encores:
15) Whole Lotta Love
16) Rock and Roll

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
November! I'm guessing here...a Christmas release usually means the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, right? Surely would be nice if it were earlier in the month and I can treat myself to it for my birthday (I can't trust friends and family to get it for me...).

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I hope this rumor is true... Nov. 22 sounds like a good day.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-02-arena-live-album-release-date-revealed/

TimothyBFan
09-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Number 1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=381365551935889&set=a.215308741874905.53046.131572223581891&type=3&theater

Tomorrow we should know what it's all about for sure!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Hmm. Today was my day to not get it in my newsfeed! Gotta love Facebook! Not...

TimothyBFan
09-12-2012, 10:40 AM
It just occurred to me that after all the hoopla when Jimmy launched his own official website, there's been nothing at all about this. Still updating the "on this day" everyday but nothing about this. Just seemed strange to me.

WalshFan88
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-movie-theaters/

TimothyBFan
09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Well hopefully one of those territories is in Northern Indiana. :thumbsup: And sounds like we will still have the dvd in November!! Come on tomorrow already!! I hope if it is the dvd, there will be preorders taken tomorrow also.

Freypower
09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Well, I think we have our answer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/led-zeppelin-buddy-guy-david-letterman-to-receive-kennedy-center-awards-20120912

Congratulations to them.

zeldabjr
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Congratulations to LZ for receiving a Kennedy Center Award, but have our guys ever gotten it?...I get all bent out of shape when the Eagles are left out of things they deserve...

TimothyBFan
09-13-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't think so, FP. I had heard about that yesterday. Another clue last night with this picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=381450738594037&set=a.215308741874905.53046.131572223581891&type=1&theater

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/bb.jpg

And this video was posted yesterday also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMQdiHIZgSo&feature=youtu.be

I'm still going with the dvd theory myself.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
In cinemas Oct. 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbusDxLekPQ&feature=youtu.be

TimothyBFan
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG......!!!!!! Can you imagine Jimmy on the big screen?!?!? :hilarious: I am so excited!!! I just hope I can get to see it without having to fight for a ticket or anything. KWIM? I also hope we still get a dvd shortly after.

ETA:November 19th it hits records stores on cd and dvd!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152082455220276&set=a.448951110275.378241.142431860275&type=1&theater

TimothyBFan
09-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Another link!

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-movie-confirmed/

TimothyBFan
09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Here's the theater listing and I recognize very few of the US theaters. More later to be added?

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/news/2012/09/13/celebration-day-cinema-listings

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
It's in a limited amount of theaters. There's a list with the YouTube video and I had to search for a long time before I found one within 20 miles of me. But hey, I'm all over it and I'll be there. Probably acting like a fan while those around me think I'm insane.

TimothyBFan
09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, did my search and the closest one will be about 2 hours away!!! That freaking SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Brooke
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd love to see this too, but my search never came closer than St. Louis which is 125 miles away. Bummer!

Hopefully they will allow it in smaller markets eventually. And dvd, please!

And congrats to them for the Kennedy Center honors!

Freypower
09-13-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't need to see it on the big screen but I will ask for it for Christmas.

Love the Big Ben illustration, of course.

WalshFan88
09-13-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm so excited! I think it's cool too because it was announced on my birthday. :hilarious: Definitely going to buy the DVD and CD. I've been listening to Zeppelin all day now because of this!

Freypower
09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGxjV2Sxbc&feature=player_embedded#!

TimothyBFan
09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Sat mesmerized by this press conference---3 or 4 times. Have I said how much I worship Jimmy Page? :hilarious: And was I the only one that almost feels sorry for John Paul Jones? He seems to be losing it a bit, doesn't he?

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:38 PM
It's interesting that you should say that because I thought John Paul was the most level headed of the three. He doesn't buy into some of the myths the way the other two feel they need to. I think it should be said that these days he looks in the best shape. He was a bit dismissive of some questions, but they all were.

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I just noticed that there were times when they'd ask what he thought or try to include him in the discussion and he hadn't even been listening and didn't even know what the question was. It seemed strange to me. But to be honest, I was concentrating more on the other end of the table. :)

Brooke
09-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Just listened. I loved JPJ comment about '5 years is like 5 minutes in Zeppelin time'! I could relate that to the Eagles! :lol:

I thought Jimmy and John looked fantastic!

lizzyplays
09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
It's in a limited amount of theaters. There's a list with the YouTube video and I had to search for a long time before I found one within 20 miles of me. But hey, I'm all over it and I'll be there. Probably acting like a fan while those around me think I'm insane.

Is there a link to a list of theaters anywhere?? I guess I can google... but it's easier to ask! lol

VAisForEagleLovers
09-27-2012, 04:19 PM
In cinemas Oct. 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbusDxLekPQ&feature=youtu.be

Lizzy, believe it or not, this You Tube link has links to find theaters as well as pre-order the DVD.

TimothyBFan
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Austin---I thought for sure you would of put this here!! So glad you gave me the heads up last night. I was so excited when I saw you had posted that on my wall--hubby thought I was insane. :hilarious:

Pre-order time!! Here's the link to the one I got (plus I also bought the vinyl edition) but there are several packages-- Blueray, just the cd, the vinyl, etc... This one has the 2 cds, the dvd of the show and bonus dvd of the dress rehearsal and other stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009E3EXMU/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009E3EXMU&linkCode=as2&tag=rhinocom-20

VAisForEagleLovers
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Here's a review of the movie that was screened in NYC last night and attended by all four.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-review/

zeldabjr
10-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Here's a review of the movie that was screened in NYC last night and attended by all four.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-review/

pretty impressive review

TimothyBFan
10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
pretty impressive review

Well, duh---it's Zeppelin!!! :hilarious:

Love this part:

"This is a film that needs to be seriously watched, digested and enjoyed over and over again"

I will do my best!! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
10-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Austin---I thought for sure you would of put this here!! So glad you gave me the heads up last night. I was so excited when I saw you had posted that on my wall--hubby thought I was insane. :hilarious

LOL I don't know why I didn't. Probably just forgot. But I knew I wanted to send the link to you because you'd go insane! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
10-15-2012, 08:27 AM
LOL I don't know why I didn't. Probably just forgot. But I knew I wanted to send the link to you because you'd go insane! :hilarious:

Was I that bad? The fact that I set a record for the fastest I have ever jumped on a presale should tell you how excited I am. :hilarious: Again----THANK YOU for getting that info to me so fast. I'm sure Larry thought I was nuts when I jumped off the sofa and headed to my laptop yelling about the presale. :)

Troubadour
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I would have thought Larry's fairly used to that kind of behaviour by now. ;)

This is very exciting indeed! Awesome review.

TimothyBFan
10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
You've got that right, Troub!!!

BTW--Your signature is gorgeous!!!!

Troubadour
10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks! :inlove:

WalshFan88
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Was I that bad? The fact that I set a record for the fastest I have ever jumped on a presale should tell you how excited I am. :hilarious: Again----THANK YOU for getting that info to me so fast. I'm sure Larry thought I was nuts when I jumped off the sofa and headed to my laptop yelling about the presale. :)

Nah you weren't that bad but it was pretty funny how excited you were! :D

zeldabjr
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
can't wait to see the movie...but will probably not go until Fri or Sat...

lizzyplays
10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Mom and I are set for the movie Wednesday night at 7:30pm!!! I have the coolest mom, ever.... :-)

WalshFan88
10-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Mom and I are set for the movie Wednesday night at 7:30pm!!! I have the coolest mom, ever.... :-)

Enjoy it! Have a good time.

TimothyBFan
10-16-2012, 07:22 AM

I will need a play by play!!! And btw, I think I love your Mom!!! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
just found out the movie's only playing Wed and Thurs...that's it...I guess it's gonna have to be Thurs...$15 a ticket

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Words just cannot express how much I really like this song (Kashmir).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/led-zeppelin-blast-off-with-kashmir-at-london-reunion-20121031

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
I love it too...I think I need this DVD when it comes out!

Brooke
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Kashmir is one of my faves of theirs! :thumbsup:

Freypower
10-31-2012, 05:00 PM
It's my second favourite after Stairway.

TimothyBFan
11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Love Kashmir but I love everything Zeppelin, but honestly, I'm more of the "non hit" Zeppelin fan. I simply cannot wait to get my hands on this dvd/cd in a few weeks (18 days-but who's counting?). I watch these videos and one thing that comes to my mind each time, John would have been so proud of Jason---he really did these songs, and his work justice!!! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Love Kashmir but I love everything Zeppelin, but honestly, I'm more of the "non hit" Zeppelin fan. I simply cannot wait to get my hands on this dvd/cd in a few weeks (18 days-but who's counting?). I watch these videos and one thing that comes to my mind each time, John would have been so proud of Jason---he really did these songs, and his work justice!!! :thumbsup:

I thought about John too as I was watching that video and thinking the same thing!...I'll have to think about which song is my favorite...hmm?

TimothyBFan
11-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought this was a cool article and wonder if we agree with it. I somewhat do but will have to think a bit about this. I'll try to make my own list.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-led-zeppelin-songs-beyond-the-hits/

It's just so hard for me to rank Zeppelin songs because I genuinely love each and every one of them. The only one that never, ever changes is my all time favorite and that is The Immigrant Song.... after that they change periodically depending on my mood. My daughter started calling it our "Zeppelin song of the moment" because she's the same way.

Brooke
11-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I really like The Immigrant Song, too, but now, since someone, Ticky, I think, made a cartoon for it a while back, I can't get that out of my mind whenever I hear it! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
My son sent me a link years ago for Viking Kitties doing Immigrant Song. This isn't that good of a video, but you get the idea. I think I've posted it before. I think of this often when I hear the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHtqkoMR-k

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 09:08 AM
The Day is finally here! Celebration!

TimothyBFan
11-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Is that today? I hadn't noticed.

chaim
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I've missed this thread. It's never been the band I've listened to most, but Led Zeppelin is probably the greatest band that has ever existed. Some of my favourites songs are No Quarter (THE favourite), Friends, Rain Song and Ten Years Gone.

WalshFan88
11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Is that today? I hadn't noticed.

:rofl:

:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Went out at lunchtime and got it!! WooHoo!! Celebration!!

Freypower
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm getting it for Christmas but I'm going to 'celebrate' it on Facebook.

zeldabjr
11-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Went out at lunchtime and got it!! WooHoo!! Celebration!!

where did you get it VA?...I just looked at WalMart and they didn't have it...

VAisForEagleLovers
11-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Best Buy.

zeldabjr
11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
oh I didn't think of Best Buy!!! thanks

TimothyBFan
11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
A friend of mine out in Los Angeles had someone take a picture of him by the huge cardboard display of JPJ, JP & RP yesterday at Best Buy. Said he was going to try to cart it off for me but he was noticed. :hilarious: Think it would look awesome in my music room. :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of he took of just the display. LOVE it!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/CelebrationDayDisplay.jpg

Brooke
11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
That was very nice of him to do that for you, Willie! :cool:

Freypower
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I was in town yesterday & saw an ad for Celebration Day on the back of a taxi. :partytime:

Witchy Woman
11-23-2012, 12:50 AM
A friend of mine out in Los Angeles had someone take a picture of him by the huge cardboard display of JPJ, JP & RP yesterday at Best Buy. Said he was going to try to cart it off for me but he was noticed. :hilarious: Think it would look awesome in my music room. :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of he took of just the display. LOVE it!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/CelebrationDayDisplay.jpg

He could have asked to have the poster when it comes down on Sunday. They are very kind about doing that, provided an employee didn't ask for it first.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Just watched the rehearsal for Celebration on the bonus DVD. Very interesting! Just a fixed camera back from the 'stage', but you can see a lot on the big screen behind them. A lot more vocals.

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I got mine while on vacation - haven't seen it yet. :( Hopefully tomorrow!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Zep will be on Letterman on Dec. 3, and also they are being 'lauded' at the 35th Annual Kennedy Center Honors. That event is Dec. 2, but won't be aired until Dec. 26 (also on CBS).

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=777614

zeldabjr
11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Zep will be on Letterman on Dec. 3, and also they are being 'lauded' at the 35th Annual Kennedy Center Honors. That event is Dec. 2, but won't be aired until Dec. 26 (also on CBS).

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=777614

wow...must put that on my calendar...very rare indeed to see them on a show...

Freypower
12-02-2012, 12:35 AM
http://www.noise11.com/news/robert-plant-bluesfest-sideshow-announced-20121202

Delighted as I am by this, I assumed my husband would want to go so I said 'I'll get tickets'. His response? 'I wouldn't bother'.

So yet again I will be going to a show on my own. Leaving Niagara Falls & Los Angeles aside, sometimes this gets me down. If that's more appropriate for Facebook, I'm sorry. I had to mention it here so I will vent here.

WalshFan88
12-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Finally got to watch Celebration Day! Definitely my favorite concert DVD by far. Amazing sound, video, production, and concert.