PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "The Allnighter"

sodascouts
05-01-2009, 01:06 AM
I know it's hard to believe, but Glenn released The Allnighter 25 years ago today. While I don't think it's his best work, the unforgettable "Smuggler's Blues" is on there - my personal favorite. I also really enjoy "I Got Love." I've grown to appreciate "Lover's Moon" and "New Love" as well - sweet simplicity. I think "Lover's Moon" is absolutely timeless. Indeed, when I first heard it, I assumed Glenn was covering an old standard. I was very surprised to see it was new original work when I looked on the album credits!

To celebrate, I mined YouTube (although some of the videos are also on GFO):

Sexy Girl

Smuggler's Blues

Lover's Moon (fan video)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43njsqlVxA)

Maleah
05-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Yay!!!!! It's the same age as me!!! :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
The Allnighter is 25 today - that is hard to believe! It is probably my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums, but it definitely has some fine moments. However, it, unfortunately, has some weak moments as well. My favorite tracks are Smuggler's Blues (very awesome), the title track (very hot and sexy), and I Got Love (very catchy melody).

Sexy Girl is one of those songs that I find okay - the cute video actually helps make the song more likable. I like Lover's Moon, but I personally think the melody is a little bland. Better in the USA is catchy, even if the lyrics aren't the most polished (nice sweater, baby). :wink: I think New Love is one of Glenn's weaker ballads - just doesn't do much for me.

But, as I have said before, it's the falsetto that brings the album down for me. IMO, Somebody Else and Living in Darkness would both be better songs if sung in Glenn's normal register. I love the music in Somebody Else. As far as Let's Go Home - the falsetto kills this song. IMO, if Glenn had sung the entire song in the same deep, throaty voice he uses in the "Let's Go Home" line, this would be an incredibly gorgeous, sexy song. I believe it would rank up there with the best of his solo work. When I try to visualize Glenn singing the song with his deep, vulnerable, smooth voice, my mind wanders to incredible places. If a man wants me to go home with him, I want him to ask me like a real man, not in a whiny, high-pitched, plaintiff wail. :headshake: :wink:

Freypower
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
OK. Be warned - this will be long. I still remember when I bought the album. Memories!

It is, however, ranked third out of the four (!!! when, WHEN is this number ever going to increase) solo albums for me. But the songs which drag it down for me aren't the same as Dreamer's.

The Allnighter - incredibly pulsating and very sexy. Dig all those whispered 'yeahs'. He plays some excellent guitar on it too, lest we forget. I honestly believe it would still go down well if played live.

Sexy Girl - hmmm. It is well constructed. The bridge is the highlight. BUT. BUT. I still find the song extremely hard to defend. I did not want Glenn to paint himself into a corner the way he seemed to with this song. If only he'd cut out the repetitive backing vocals which also mar It's Cold In Here and (to a lesser extent) Partytown.

I Got Love - this is so slight, it barely registers. He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it. I still cringe at 'if it ain't all honey/still it's right on the money'. Really.

Somebody Else - this is where Dreamer & I part company. I absolutely love this and I love the way he sings it, the way he purrs his way through it. I love listening to his phrasing and the emotion he pours into it.

Lover's Moon - this is an almost classical sounding song which has grown in stature and which SHOULD have been included in Hell Freezes Over (for those who don't know it was performed during rehearsals). Very simple but deeply affecting. 'I know she's waiting'. Yes, Glenn. :blush:

Smuggler's Blues - utter masterpiece which I was lucky enough to see the Eagles perform in 1995. It is still urgent, still timely and it still rocks.

Let's Go Home - oh, Dreamer, you say his voice is 'whiny' here! I'm sorry, but it sweeps me away every single time. Yes, it is a good moment when he descends to his normal register (wanna tell you how much I miss you baby) but :thud:is what happens to me whenever I hear it.

Better In The USA - :cuss: If you can't say something nice.... WHY?! All I will say is it improves slightly when it gets to the 'nobody's perfect' verse (quite). But the spoken part just ruins it. I do not know why he does this. Even in Big Life he had to insert a spoken part.

Living In Darkness - I suppose I am in a minority but this is one of the most innovative and exciting things he's ever done. The falsetto here is clear and pure. The bridge is sung in his normal voice and is just wonderful. I am not going to speculate on who the song might be about.

New Love - for years I thought this was terminally bland, but the black backing singers give it a soulful dimension. He can do better, though.

sodascouts
05-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I have to say I'm with Dreamer when it comes to the falsetto. I'm still mystified as to why Glenn did so much of that on the Allnighter, especially when songs like "After Hours," which he sings in his rich and evocative natural voice, apparently got nixed in favor of songs like "Somebody Else" and "Living in Darkness" (sorry FP, I'm with Dreamer here too). Maybe he was listening to a lot of Bee Gees music at the time.

One interesting thing about the Allnighter is that apparently it gave Glenn a chance to start workin' the sexy. He goes from looking like a frat boy on the No Fun Aloud cover to looking like a seductive fantasy man on The Allnighter sleeve. Nice.

In defense of "I Got Love" - yes, it's simplistic (athough I'm not sure how much Glenn had to do with the lyrics), but I love the way he uses horns to pep it up, and the tune brings a smile to my face. I give it a thumbs up.

Here's some live MP3s of Glenn performing songs from the album:

I Got Love (Del Mar 1985)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/IGotLoveDelMar85.mp3

Better in the USA (Del Mar 1985)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/BetterintheUSADelMar85.mp3

Smuggler's Blues (Del Mar 1985)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/SmugglersBluesDelMar85.mp3

Sexy Girl (Tokyo 1986)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/SexyGirlTokyo86.mp3

The Allnighter (Tokyo 1986)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/AllnighterTokyo86.mp3

Lover's Moon (Osaka 1992)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LoversMoonOsaka92.mp3

GlennLover
05-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I loved this version of "Lover's Moon"! I had never listened to it before. I liked the instrumentation much better in this version than the original, although I always loved the song. Does anyone know who played lead guitar on the live one?

05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
GL - I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any video of that show. However, my guess is that Glenn himself or either Danny Grenier is playing the guitar there.

I Got Love - this is so slight, it barely registers. He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it. I still cringe at 'if it ain't all honey/still it's right on the money'. Really.

FP - I think you know that I always respect everyone's right to their own opinion, but I have to say, I am dismayed by your comment here. I don't understand at all what you mean by "He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it." It sounds to me as if you are saying that Glenn intentionally wrote a sub-standard song. As Soda said, first of all, we don't really know whether the lyrics in the song are written by Jack Tempchin, Glenn, or both of them. Secondly, since you didn't comment on the music, I'm not sure what you think about that. I personally think the song is very catchy and enjoyable and, IMO, there are certainly a lot worse songs out there than this one.

Freypower
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Perhaps I should have phrased it this way: 'he is capable of writing better songs than this one'. I have to say that the live version of it is a distinct improvement on the original because it has more energy (the tune, that is. I ignore the lyrics). I maintain that it is an extremely minor piece of work.

But let me say that I totally agree with Soda's comments about the 'image change'. All I can say about that is.... yes.

And YES, 1,000,000 times, to 'After Hours should have been included' but Sexy Girl & Better In The USA should have been dropped, not Somebody Else & Living In Darkness. If I am alone in liking these songs that cannot be helped.

06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
HAPPY BELATED 26th BIRTHDAY "THE ALLNIGHTER"!!!

Well, while I was away last week, "The Allnighter" celebrated its 26th birthday. I had prepared a review to post when I returned since I had never done a thorough song-by-song review of this album before. However, since there was no new thread started for it, I'll just revive this old one and post my thoughts here.

The Allnighter is my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums, but it definitely has a few fine moments. Unfortunately, it has some weaker moments as well, and half of the tracks on this album are probably no better than average, IMO. I’m also not crazy about the pace of this album. It needs some more rockers, or maybe it just seems that way because many of the songs on it don’t excite me enough. I guess it’s no accident that the more uptempo songs on this album are among my favorites. However, any discussion of this album always reverts back to two things for me. First of all, Mr. Frey absolutely pulls out all the stops on working the sexy here, and that damn sure works for me. Secondly, I think Glenn’s overuse of the falsetto vocals was an experiment gone bad, and brings down the overall effectiveness of this album. For me, there is just a huge disconnect between the overtly masculine sexy tone of this album and use of the falsetto in some of the songs. Here are my ratings of the songs in the order that I love/like them.

I Love It (5)

Smuggler's Blues (5) – This is a very awesome song – the lone real rocker and standout track on the entire album. The guitar work is :pimp: and I love the story the song tells. I also love how the cadence and tempo are used to keep things interesting. The exciting and energetic way the lyrics and vocals are structured in the song keeps the listener (or at least, this listener) eagerly anticipating the next line.

The Allnighter (5) – This song is so very hot and sexy that my glasses steam up every time it plays. Yes, my mind does wander to incredible places whenever I hear it. But, for those of you who are inclined to believe that images that the lyrics conjure up is the only reason that I love the song, then you would be sadly mistaken. :wink: The pulsating music and guitar work are great and complement the sexy lyrics very well. The lyrics are actually very clever with all their imagery, double-meanings, and innuendo. However, Glenn’s efforts write this song in the third person is laughable. C’mon Glenn - who are you trying to kid … everybody knows that this is an autobiography. :lol:

I Got Love (5) – I love the very catchy melody, music, and vocals in this song. I can’t put my fingers on what it is, but it says something about a song when someone loves it even though they know it’s not supposed to be a great song. On the surface, it may appear to be average, but there is definitely just something about it. It gets stuck in your head, and won’t leave. Hmmm – maybe it really is a great song after all. :wink: It’s a really fun song with a refreshing and exhilarating vibe. Simply put, it just makes me feel good!

I Really Like It (4)

Let's Go Home (4) – I absolutely love everything about this song – the music (especially the incredible sax), the melody, the tempo, the lyrics EXCEPT the falsetto kills it. If Glenn had sung this song in his normal register, I believe it would rank up there among the best of his solo work. What a shame! Using the same deep, throaty voice throughout that he uses in the "Let's Go Home" line or the part after final verse would make this song incredibly melt-worthy. When I try to visualize Glenn singing this heartfelt song with his emotive, vulnerable, smooth, masculine voice, my mind wanders to incredible places (again). A man should ask a girl to go home with him like a real man, not in a whiny, high-pitched, plaintiff wail. That is a huge mood killer for me. I only have one question – “Why, Glenn?”

Lover's Moon (4) – I really like this very pretty song, but I personally think the melody and delivery are slightly bland, which keeps me from loving it. I prefer Glenn’s ballads where he EMOTES more as in I Volunteer than the more understated delivery that he uses here. Overall, I don’t think the ballads here are as strong as the majority of those on Strange Weather or No Fun Aloud.

I Like It (3)

Somebody Else (3) – Once again, why the falsetto here ??? I really love the bluesy music, as well as the lyrics and melody. But the vocals are just a huge distraction to an otherwise really great song. Glenn has enough vulnerability in his normal register to deliver this macho ultimatum in a way that isn’t overbearing or heavy-handed. Too bad he didn’t do that – it would have made the song so much more effective to me. I debated giving this a ‘4’ rating, and perhaps I would have if it were the only falsetto track. But I’m afraid the overuse of the falsetto on the album lessens its impact for me.

Sexy Girl (3) – This is one of those songs that I find okay – I actually love the bridge, but the rest of it is nothing more than ‘pleasant’. Actually, the more I think about it, I like the verses a lot too – it just the unmelodic, repetitive chorus and music that I’m not that fond of. The cute video actually helps make the song more enjoyable to me.

Better in the USA (3) – The song is catchy, even if the lyrics aren't the most polished and sophisticated (nice sweater, baby :wink: ) that Glenn ever wrote. I actually like a few of the lines such as “If we're so awful and we're so bad, you oughta check the night life in Leningrad”. The song is no better than average, but it does rock musically and OBTW – nice vocals, baby! :grin:

New Love (3) – This is one of Glenn's weaker ballads – it’s pretty, but just doesn't do much for me. The music, cadence, tempo, lyrics, and melody are all pretty uninspiring and flat, and ordinary. Of course, as is often the case, the vocals save it for me. I do think the bluesy background vocals add a little spark, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Living in Darkness (3) – I think this is simply Glenn’s worst vocal performance ever. The falsetto is strained, forced, and unnatural. However, to me, the vocals aren’t the only problem with this song. I really like the bridge, but it actually is so good, that it seems disjointed with the mundane melody of the verses and chorus. The music is uneven as well. However, I must admit that I do find the lyrics very intriguing, and agree that they could possibly be about Don, although there is no hard evidence to support this. It’s a shame the lyrics weren’t put to a better melody and music a la All Those Lies. This probably has the distinction of being my least favorite of Glenn’s solo songs. If not for the bridge and the lyrics, I would have actually given this a ‘2’ rating. :shock:

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

Freypower
06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
OK Dreamer - LID Glenn's 'worst vocal performance ever'? I disagree.

(So what is his 'worst vocal performance ever'? Honestly, there is not one I can name from his solo career. Sadly, I would have to name Teenage Jail otherwise).

As usual you have done such a good job of rating these songs that I am not sure I can improve but I will try. As you said this album reaches great heights but it also hits some inexplicable lows.

(NB I haven't read my previous post before I started writing this).

I Love It (5)

Smuggler's Blues - the song is a classic & has one of his best lyrics. Stunning slide guitar and he absolutely rocks it. I never tire of hearing him sing this, particularly the 'you see it in the headlines' verse.

Let's Go Home - Dreamer & I are in fundamental disagreement on the use of falsetto. I agree that it is overdone on the album and I agree that I prefer his normal register. Here when he gets to 'wanna tell you how much I miss you baby' in his normal authoritative tones that is the part you notice. But his voice is smooth and creamy. I love the song. I take issue to some extent with all the 'pleading', though, as we get the point quickly. As Dreamer said this has one of the best uses of sax in his solo canon.

The Allnighter - how I love this smoky, sultry descrption of a lonely woman's quest for the perfect man..... :nahnah: It is brilliantly structured with compelling guitar work. 'He's the satisfier of that one desire'... quite.

Living In Darkness - I know exactly what Dreamer is saying about this, but I feel the opposite. I am overwhelmed by the way he sings this, although I agree that the bridge is by far the strongest part. I don't like the spoken 'nowhere to hide' part. He once called it 'my Prince tune'. The synthesizers make it quite different from the majority of his solo work..

I Really Like It (4)

Lover's Moon - this is a sleeper. I thought it was bland, too, for years and years, until I heard the HFO outtake which has one of the rawest and most vulnerable vocals ever. The melody is almost classically baroque (influenced by the Everly Brothers' Let It Be Me) and I personally identify with all the 'I know she's waiting' stuff.

Somebody Else - this chugs along at a great rate. Again, I like the falsetto here. Again as with LGH there is a bit too much of the 'pleading' but the air of tension in the song, aided by the ubiquitous sax, makes it compelling listening.

I Like It (3)

New Love - more of the same lyrically but the backing vocals give it a dimension it would not have had otherwise. It's OK, nothing more than that.

I Got Love - some of these song titles are not the most inspired. There is a live version of this which beats the recorded version to shreds, and that has somewhat improved my opinion of this lightweight effort. I do like all the 'jumped on the freeway' stuff but he's written similar, better songs (Ain't It Love).

Meh (2)

Sexy Girl - it has actually improved over the years but it remains one of my two least favourite solo songs. If the entire song had been like the bridge it actually could have been a great song. But it isn't.

Better In The USA- I cannot relate to this in any way, shape or form, and it is so tied to the Reagan era that when I hear it I just shake my head. All I will say about it is that it has a decent groove and the lyrics improve slightly once we get to the 'drivin' on a beach' part. But then he had to put that spoken bit in. No comment.

AzEaglesFan
08-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Went to Half Priced Book Store today and bought 2 vinyl Glenn Frey records. The Allnighter and No Fun Allowed. The first time I have found any of Glenn's there. They used to have a bunch of Eagles vinyls but now can't find a one.

08-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Hope you enjoy these Shirley. As I've said in my reviews in both this thread and the No Fun Aloud thread, I like The Allnighter album, although I think it is uneven, and it is my least favorite of Glenn's solo work. On the other hand, I absolutely love No Fun Aloud. Happy listening! :wink:

sodascouts
06-19-2011, 01:52 AM
June is sure a busy month for album anniversaries. 27 years ago today, The Allnighter was released. Happy birthday to The Allnighter!

I see I never did a thorough review of this album. I'll have to write one up tomorrow!

WalshFan88
06-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Definitely my favorite Glenn solo album. Happy Anniversary!

Koala
06-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Happy Anniversary The Allnighter!
Love The Allnighter album!

Looking forward to read your review, Soda!

whitcap
06-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Happy Anniversary to The Allnighter! This is my favorite Glenn solo album.

Freypower
06-19-2011, 06:52 PM
For me it ranks 3 out of 4. It's interesting that a couple of people think it's a better album than Strange Weather.

(My ranking of the albums is Strange Weather, No Fun Aloud, The Allnighter, Soul Searchin').

GlennLover
06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Happy Anniversary to The Allnighter! :partytime: It's the real thing, the pure delighter!!!

06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
First of all ...

HAPPY 27TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!

My ranking of the albums are Strange Weather, No Fun Aloud, Soul Searchin', and then The Allnighter. However, even though it's my least favorite of Glenn's solo albums, I still like it a lot. I also find it interesting that some folks rate it higher than Strange Weather, but as we always say - "different strokes". It amazes me how different songs resinate in different ways with different people.

WalshFan88
06-19-2011, 09:19 PM
For me the Allnighter is the best because I'm not a big fan of the other 3 (sorry Frey fans!). I just don't click with most of those songs where as my favorite Glenn solo songs are The Heat Is On, Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl, etc. 2 out of 3 of my favorite Frey solo songs are on that Allnighter album.

I actually prefer Glenn's guitar playing over his singing, and I like his singing a LOT! I find him to be a very underrated rhythm guitar player. He's the Keith Richards of the Eagles - he keeps the rhythm for the band and is a backbone to their sound. I find his guitar skills to be very underrated. He offers that foundation for Walsh and Felder (now Walsh and Smith) to do their stuff. He also can play some lead, but it's something he seems intimidated to do or uninterested in. I've seen him play lead on "Already Gone" for instance, and he's very good. But really Glenn is a rhythm guitarist, be it acoustic strumming or electric shuffle.

whitcap
06-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Glenn's album "The Allnighter" was released 28 years ago today!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I listen to this CD a lot!

Windeagle
06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I only picked up The Allnighter recently. Aside from the hot photography, I have to say it's my least favorite of Glenn's solo albums. To me, it seems very uneven and dated. My reactions to the songs go to the extremes. The songs I like, I LOVE. The songs I don't like? Eh... enough said.

I'm still glad I bought it because I would not give up "Smuggler's Blues" (my favorite Glenn solo song), "Lover's Moon" or "I Got Love" for the world. I rarely listen to the CD as a whole though.

06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
HAPPY BELATED 28th BIRTHDAY "THE ALLNIGHTER"!!!

Well, I have to agree that this is probably Glenn's most uneven album and is my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums. However, it definitely has some good moments. Having said that, I will have to say that the pictures from the photoshoot for the album are definitely visually satisfying - not that I'm shallow or anything. :wink:

I wrote a song-by-song review of the album earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and list the songs from my favorite to least favorite here. We haven't been getting much participation lately, but if enough of you post your list, I'll compile the results as I usually do. So here goes ...

1. Smuggler's Blues
2. The Allnighter
3. I Got Love
4. Let's Go Home
5. Lover's Moon
6. Somebody Else
7. Sexy Girl
8. Better in the USA
9. New Love
10. Living in Darkness

Glennhoney
06-20-2012, 05:03 PM
..another brilliant album

Freypower
06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
It's also my least favourite of his solo albums.

1. Smuggler's Blues
2. The Allnighter
3. Lover's Moon
4. Living In Darkness
5. Let's Go Home
6. Somebody Else
7. New Love
8. I Got Love
9. Sexy Girl
10. Better In The USA

GlennLover
06-20-2012, 08:40 PM
It's probably my least favorite too, but it does have it's moments! Not crazy about the falsetto.

1. Smuggler's Blues
2. The Allnighter
3. I Got Love
4. Lover's Moon
5.Let's Go Home
6.Better in the USA
7.Sexy Girl
8.New Love
9.Living in Darkness
10. Somebody Else

Outlawman13
06-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Happy 29th Belated birthday to The Allnighter. I may be the oddball over here 'cause I love the songs on that c.d. May not be his strongest solo c.d., but it's still amazing in its own way!!!
My favvies are Let's Go Home, Smuggler's Blues, Better In The USA, I Got Love, New Love.
I've always loved his falsetto voice and his regular voice of course. LOL.

Troubadour
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Happy Birthday to The Allnighter! Gotta say, the pictures from this era/album are smokin'. I love Smuggler's Blues and Lover's Moon especially.

Outlawman13
06-22-2013, 07:24 PM
MMM they are really smoking!!!! Love that era too!!! LOL.

Freypower
06-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Happy Birthday to The Allnighter! Gotta say, the pictures from this era/album are smokin'. I love Smuggler's Blues and Lover's Moon especially.

Troub, that signature of yours is also smokin'. You are good at doing these blends which I cannot do at all. I was wondering if you could do one for me? Can I leave it up to you to choose the photos or do I need to specify? It would be much appreciated.

(Hint: After Hours related. If you can't find anything I'll choose something but you have such good taste I am sure you will manage. No pressure or anything....):laugh:

Troubadour
06-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Of course, FP! I'll work on them ASAP. I enjoy making sigs so it's no problem at all.

I'm glad you like mine. I rediscovered Jess's Wichita pictures yesterday and couldn't resist using them. The one of him holding the guitar is so sexy. Something about the way his right shoulder is raised/rolled backwards just gets me. (I know... I'm weird.) ;)

glenneaglesfan
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Can't believe it's 29 years since The Allnighter was released. I have it on vinyl and must listen again. It's on my ipod as well but I tend to use shuffle rather than listening to a whole album.

Troub, I agree with Fp, that's one sexy banner you have there, and you are very talented!

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2013, 03:48 AM
It is indeed! Troub makes fantastic banners!

GEF? Are you home? How was Turkey?

Freypower
06-24-2013, 07:04 PM
It is indeed! Troub makes fantastic banners!

GEF? Are you home? How was Turkey?

You will see the fantastic banners she made for me over the next five weeks. :bow:

As for The Allnighter some of it hasn't aged very well. I still think the title track & Lover's Moon are very underrated, as is Living In Darkness, which not many people seem to like. I used to be passionate about Let's Go Home & I still like it but he's done better songs like that since.

WalshFan88
06-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Happy Birthday to The Allnighter!!

I just put Smuggler's Blues on just now. I go back and forth between that and THIO. But I'm a sucker for slide guitar and so I probably lean more to Smuggler's Blues if it came down to it.

sodascouts
06-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Happy 30th birthday to The Allnighter!

The real thing... a pure delighter. ;)

shunlvswx
06-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Happy 30th Birthday to The Allnighter album.

I love the songs New Love, Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl and The Allnighter. I think that's the only song I've ever heard. Its time to listen to his albums on Spotify.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Love this album!!

Normally I'd put this in the Press thread, but since it's a celebration of this album, I'm putting it here...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-allnighter/

06-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that link, VA. And once again, even though I'm late ...

HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!!!

While this may not be my favorite of Glenn's solo albums, it can certainly be the satisfier of that one desire at any given moment. :thumbsup:

chaim
02-06-2015, 08:04 AM
I had this CD years ago, but I sold it because I had money problems and I didn't care for it.
I decided to buy it again and I ordered it via e-Bay. I just received it today. I've been listening to it, and I have to say that it's, much, much, much, much, much, much better than I remembered.
Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song - a joke song, but not without affection underneath. The "riff" is dumb, but in a hilarious way - perfect for this lyric.

Funk 50
02-06-2015, 03:27 PM
I love the songs New Love, Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl and The Allnighter. I think that's the only song I've ever heard. Its time to listen to his albums on Spotify.

Back when it was originally released, I got to hear 6 songs from The Allnighter, on the local pop music radio station here in the UK, during a single Mike Shaft Evening Radio Show, plus lots of repeat plays over the following week.

Somebody Else, Sexy Girl, I Got Love, New Love, Lovers Moon and Let's Go Home all sounded fantastic. . (No Smuggler's Blues) The two sax tracks, Let's Go Home and Somebody Else sounded extra special.

This would be the original release before it was re-released with mega-hit, The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song

Great idea Chaim!

I used to love singing along with Better In The USA until the offensiveness of the lyrics got the better of me.

It could've been a contender. So much better than Party Town.....

Has anybody heard Alice Cooper's, I Love America?

chaim
02-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Back when it was originally released, I got to hear 6 songs from The Allnighter, on the local pop music radio station here in the UK, during a single Mike Shaft Evening Radio Show, plus lots of repeat plays over the following week.

Somebody Else, Sexy Girl, I Got Love, New Love, Lovers Moon and Let's Go Home all sounded fantastic. . (No Smuggler's Blues) The two sax tracks, Let's Go Home and Somebody Else sounded extra special.

This would be the original release before it was re-released with mega-hit, The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

Great idea Chaim!

I used to love singing along with Better In The USA until the offensiveness of the lyrics got the better of me.

It could've been a contender. So much better than Party Town.....

Has anybody heard Alice Cooper's, I Love America?

"I gratuated, but I ain't too bright". Yeah, I Love America is hysterical. I love Alice.

Freypower
02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
I had this CD years ago, but I sold it because I had money problems and I didn't care for it.
I decided to buy it again and I ordered it via e-Bay. I just received it today. I've been listening to it, and I have to say that it's, much, much, much, much, much, much better than I remembered.
Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song - a joke song, but not without affection underneath. The "riff" is dumb, but in a hilarious way - perfect for this lyric.

You make a very interesting point here when you mention Mr Newman. I have never thought of this song in this way. Glenn is a huge Newman fan, as am I. Sadly, however, I feel that BITUSA is not a joke, or ironic, or anytihng like I Love LA & It's Money That Matters. It seems that Glenn got caught up in the jingoistic spirit of the Reagan years. That was his right, of course, but I can barely listen to the song. And the spoken part at the end just makes it so much worse.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
I swear there's something wrong with me...I always liked Better in the USA. Mostly, I'll admit, because it's so easy to dance to. I have it on my workout CDs, and you can dance the 50's dances to it, which makes it fun and not so much like exercise.

Also, given where we were in the early and mid 80's, and the things going on in the Cold War, I liked the statement it made. Maybe because I worked in the defense industry I paid more attention to things, but there were a lot of people right here in our own country who criticized our part in it. There were a lot of people here who blamed our part in it for Russia backing out of the 84 Olympics, and of course the US backing out of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. We drew a lot of criticism from our own people over a lot of things, and so to me, this was a fun song that brought up some good points.

As for the spoken parts at the end, I don't see what's so deplorable about those, either.

Freypower
02-06-2015, 09:20 PM
I swear there's something wrong with me...I always liked Better in the USA. Mostly, I'll admit, because it's so easy to dance to. I have it on my workout CDs, and you can dance the 50's dances to it, which makes it fun and not so much like exercise.

Also, given where we were in the early and mid 80's, and the things going on in the Cold War, I liked the statement it made. Maybe because I worked in the defense industry I paid more attention to things, but there were a lot of people right here in our own country who criticized our part in it. There were a lot of people here who blamed our part in it for Russia backing out of the 84 Olympics, and of course the US backing out of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. We drew a lot of criticism from our own people over a lot of things, and so to me, this was a fun song that brought up some good points.

As for the spoken parts at the end, I don't see what's so deplorable about those, either.

It's the 'nice sweater, baby/what do you say you & me go for a little drive' bit. It makes me cringe.

I could list what annoys me about the song but it's best as you say to see it as a bit of fun. If Americans like it, that's good. :soda:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2015, 10:05 PM
It's the 'nice sweater, baby/what do you say you & me go for a little drive' bit. It makes me cringe.

I could list what annoys me about the song but it's best as you say to see it as a bit of fun. If Americans like it, that's good. :soda:

I'm not sure how most people feel about it, I've never discussed it with anyone.

As for the line at the end, I usually grin when I hear it and shout 'yes!'

02-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Good on you, chaim for your reacquisition! :thumbsup: This isn't my favorite Glenn solo album by far, but it definitely has some good moments.

And I agree with VA about Better In the USA. While I don't think it's nearly as good as Partytown, I do get a kick out of listening to it. I enjoy it as the shallow, light-hearted little romp that it is intended to be. I figure it's good for the soul for me to be so easily entertained. :wink: :grin:

chaim
02-07-2015, 05:16 AM
I wasn't aware that there are two versions of this album. I have a version where Living in the Darkness is replaced with The Heat Is On. I must get the other version.

Whenever Glenn says something about some issue (Better In The USA, for example), it's a "Frey/Tempchin" song. It seems that, no matter what the issue is, Glenn and Jack think alike.:hilarious:

GlennLover
02-07-2015, 10:53 AM
VA, I agree with your opinion as well. I enjoy it. As you said, consider the times when it was written. Even though I find a bit of humour in it, it has it's serious side as well with lyrics referring to the Cold War.

sodascouts
02-07-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't think it's jingoistic to be proud of one's country and consider freedom preferable to life behind the iron curtain.

That said, the sweater line makes me cringe, too.

chaim
02-07-2015, 03:31 PM
I think the fact that Glenn praises some rather hollow things (burgers and fries) - and things that can be found anywhere (like beautiful girls) - makes it a bit Newmanesque. He keeps telling how great the U.S.A. is. Then comes this:

We got the burgers and fries in the U.S.A.
We got the friendly skies in the U.S.A.
We got the beautiful girls in the U.S.A.
Got the beautiful curls in the U.S.A.

We're drivin' beautiful cars in the U.S.A.
We're diggin' movie stars in the U.S.A.
We get to make romance in the U.S.A.
Let the little girl dance in the U.S.A.

Very Newmanesque, although I understand that Glenn was serious.

Reminds me a bit of Randy's Roll With The Punches and, of course, I Love LA, which Freypower mentioned. Something like I Love LA was what I meant when I said "a joke song, but not without affection underneath". I'm sure Randy does have a soft spot for LA.

UndertheWire
02-07-2015, 05:02 PM
They can't be serious. Why else would the comparisons be so superficial? It just isn't clever enough. I usually skip it.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-07-2015, 06:18 PM
They can't be serious. Why else would the comparisons be so superficial? It just isn't clever enough. I usually skip it.

I don't really agree that they are superficial. They are symbols of a way of life. When I hear 'burgers and fries', my mind goes to a group of teens at a drive-in or the local Rallys or Checkers. It's burgers, it's milkshakes, and it's big cars and loud music. Of course 'the friendly skies' is a reference to the United commercials we were bombarded with at the time that always showed happy, successful people traveling for business or pleasure, with families or alone, always happy happy happy. The rest of the lyrics Chaim put, refer back to the scene I painted above. Pretty girls and tough guys, and they talked about the things that were important to them all while seeking out the one they want some romance with.

I guess that's the picture my mind painted the first time I heard the lyrics because of the 50's kind of beat to the song. This is, after all, a song you can do the 'twist' to and there aren't that many of those. To me, it's always called up visions of movies about the 50's, like Grease. I guess that's why I feel the way I do about it.

chaim
02-08-2015, 04:16 AM
If there's stuff in the song that only Americans get (I didn't have a clue what "the friendly skies" refers to), I think Glenn and Jack could've done the lyric better. If you try to convince "the enemy" about the greatness of your country compared to theirs, I think you should say things they understand! If there's stuff only your own people get, you're actually saying it to them IMO.

This error makes it even more Randy Newmanesque IMO.:hilarious:

UndertheWire
02-08-2015, 07:54 AM
I can't believe how much I've been thinking of this song in the last day. My instinctive reaction is a kind of alarm/dislike because of its simplistic patriotism. It fits into the "ignorant american" category which is surprising because I don't see either Glenn or Jack as being ignorant.

Rather than a mythical 50s, I think of the 1980s when it was released and that's a time when there was a lot of anti-american feeling in the UK. It was a scary time with high inflation, high unemployment, an increase in racism and a fear of a nuclear war started by a foreign power.

"burgers and fries" - MacDonalds arrived here in the late 70s. I was taken to my first one in 1979 when they were rare but by the end of the decade there was one on every high street.

"friendly skies" - Reagan and his Strategic Defence Initiaive (known as "Star Wars" in the media), an infamous leaflet called "Protect and Survive" about how to survive a nuclear attack, protests against the installation of american nuclear missiles on british soils. And the man with his finger on the button was an elderly movie actor.

"beautiful cars" - after the fuel shortages and rising fuel prices of the 70s, americans were still driving round in gas-guzzlers and paying a much lower price than we were.

"beautiful girls" - everyone on american tv shows was beautiful. What about us regular folk?

But after all that, I'm sure nearly all of us would have chosen the USA over Russia and still would.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2015, 11:15 AM
I can't believe how much I've been thinking of this song in the last day. My instinctive reaction is a kind of alarm/dislike because of its simplistic patriotism. It fits into the "ignorant american" category which is surprising because I don't see either Glenn or Jack as being ignorant.

Rather than a mythical 50s, I think of the 1980s when it was released and that's a time when there was a lot of anti-american feeling in the UK. It was a scary time with high inflation, high unemployment, an increase in racism and a fear of a nuclear war started by a foreign power.

"burgers and fries" - MacDonalds arrived here in the late 70s. I was taken to my first one in 1979 when they were rare but by the end of the decade there was one on every high street.

"friendly skies" - Reagan and his Strategic Defence Initiaive (known as "Star Wars" in the media), an infamous leaflet called "Protect and Survive" about how to survive a nuclear attack, protests against the installation of american nuclear missiles on british soils. And the man with his finger on the button was an elderly movie actor.

"beautiful cars" - after the fuel shortages and rising fuel prices of the 70s, americans were still driving round in gas-guzzlers and paying a much lower price than we were.

"beautiful girls" - everyone on american tv shows was beautiful. What about us regular folk?

But after all that, I'm sure nearly all of us would have chosen the USA over Russia and still would.

Wow, the difference in perspective is amazing! IMO, the lyrics weren't targeted towards the enemy, but rather a reminder to Americans of the things we take for granted.

I remember at the songwriter's lecture back in 2011, Glenn talked about painting a picture with words as well as the feel of the song, then went on to say that an intro went a long way towards doing that. I wonder what he would think about the difference between the picture in your head as opposed to the picture in mine? Anyway, it's this kind of diversity that makes the world go round and keeps this board interesting!

UndertheWire
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Isn't it interesting! I'm sure your images are more in line with their intentions but I wanted to show a different perspective. I'd be cringing over a song telling me it's "Better in the UK", too (even though I believe this is a good place to live).

Funk 50
02-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I'd second that, UnderTheWire.

The Blue Jeans and Rock'n'Roll and Burgers and Fries lines may appear shallow but they were actually very desirable products in pre-perestroika and glasnost Russia.

I'm not all that upset by the Jingoism at all. It's the insulting references to the 3rd World, whatever Glenn thinks that is, the Muscovites and eastern European people in general.

In 1991 Leningrad returned to it's former name, Saint Petersburg.

Better In The USA could only be written by somebody who has succumbed to anti Russian propaganda

If I was a girl, maybe the last bit would make me want to slap Glenn across the face too :shrug:

Freypower
02-08-2015, 05:49 PM
I'd second that, UnderTheWire.

The Blue Jeans and Rock'n'Roll and Burgers and Fries lines may appear shallow but they were actually very desirable products in pre-perestroika and glasnost Russia.

I'm not all that upset by the Jingoism at all. It's the insulting references to the 3rd World, whatever Glenn thinks that is, the Muscovites and eastern European people in general.

In 1991 Leningrad returned to it's former name, Saint Petersburg.

Better In The USA could only be written by somebody who has succumbed to anti Russian propaganda

If I was a girl, maybe the last bit would make me want to slap Glenn across the face too :shrug:

He is saying the Third World is what we now call the developing world, which was supposed to choose between capitalism & communism. He isn't saying Russia is the Third World.

The line about the lack of nightlife in Leningrad (as it then was, to be fair to Glenn) annoys me because it is so cliched & ignores the rich history of opera & classical music in the city. Russian culture is very different from American culture.

As for 'they'd be movin' here from Moscow (I object to his pronunciation of it although I know many Americans pronounce it this way) perhaps. However, Russians are patriotic too. Russians loved their children too, to quote Sting.

Please note; I am NOT defending Communism & I know how hard it was for Russians & Eastern Europeans before the system collapsed.

Listen to Billy Joel's Leningrad if you wish to hear a more mature perspective on how an American changed his perspective on Russia.

But then there is the 'nobody's perfect' part. This is the most confusing part of the song, especially 'you can move to the left/you can move to the right/you can stand in the dark/you can stand in the light'. Given that Glenn is a Democrat I presume this is just referring to communism vs capitalism, given that non-Americans associate the 'right' in America with the Republican Party.

In any case the Eagles played there in 2001. I have a wonderful photo of them outside St Basil's Cathedral. I have often wondered what they thought of it.

chaim
02-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Personally I think that VAisForEagleLover's interpretation (a reminder to the Americans) makes more sense, because all of the references probably wouldn't have made any sense to a lot of Russians.
Freypower's comments about nightlife/culture are spot-on.

Freypower
02-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Personally I think that VAisForEagleLover's interpretation (a reminder to the Americans) makes more sense, because all of the references probably wouldn't have made any sense to a lot of Russians.

I completely agree that the song is directed towards Americans.

chaim
02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
And of course, I'm from Finland - a country that sort of kissed our neighbor's, then-Soviet Union's behind during the so called (stupid) Cold War. Seems that we're still afraid of not doing it. Me? I don't want to go deep into this. Let's just say that things aren't so black'n'white...(But gimme Stravinsky over a hamburger any day!:hilarious:)

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2015, 06:20 PM

You can call me VA! You don't need to type that entire handle out over and over. I wasn't thinking about that when I picked it. It's a play on words, for those who don't know, because the Commonwealth of Virgina's motto is "Virginia is for Lovers".

chaim
02-08-2015, 06:25 PM
You can call me VA! You don't need to type that entire handle out over and over. I wasn't thinking about that when I picked it. It's a play on words, for those who don't know, because the Commonwealth of Virgina's motto is "Virginia is for Lovers".

So VA it is. I must admit I felt a bit frustrated, checking that every letter is in place!
Personally I wish people would call me "Toni" (which is my first name) rather than "chaim" (which is Gene Simmons's original first name, although I love Gene!):hilarious:

sodascouts
02-08-2015, 09:44 PM
I'll try to remember that, Toni. I think the only other person who regularly gets called by his real name rather than his screenname is Austin ( WalshFan88 ) and I'm not even sure how that happened, lol, but we can add another to the list! ;) You can facilitate it by putting "Toni" in your signature. On another board, I had this as my signature:

- Nancy

Thus, I got called that pretty regularly as a result.

chaim
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
I'll try to remember that, Toni. I think the only other person who regularly gets called by his real name rather than his screenname is Austin ( WalshFan88 ) and I'm not even sure how that happened, lol, but we can add another to the list! ;) You can facilitate it by putting "Toni" in your signature. On another board, I had this as my signature:

- Nancy

Thus, I got called that pretty regularly as a result.

Yeah, maybe I'll do that. But it's not that it kills me when people call me "chaim". That's my "name" here, after all! I guess I was in a funny mood when I wrote that post.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2015, 08:00 AM
31 years ago today!! I wouldn't say this is my favorite, yet it's the one I listen to most often, so...

AlreadyGone95
06-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Happy 31st anniversary to The Allnighter

Smuggler's Blues is my favorite Glenn Frey solo song.

I'll do a track by track rating later today.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2015, 12:42 PM
UCR's take on the 31st anniversary of The Allnighter:

They say the success of it compared to his other albums had to do with having Jack Tempchin as co-writer. Ummm...

AlreadyGone95
06-19-2015, 12:46 PM
UCR's take on the 31st anniversary of The Allnighter:

They say the success of it compared to his other albums had to do with having Jack Tempchin as co-writer. Ummm...

:hilarious: liner notes are good for a reason!

Funk 50
06-19-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised The Allnighter was more successful than Strange Weather. He did a lot more promo for Strange Weather.
I presume releasing The Allnighter twice, with and without his greatest solo hit; The Heat Is On gave it the edge.

I still listen to Lovers Moon and Somebody Else a lot. Smuggler's Blues, Let's Go Home and New Love not quite so much. The title track is the only track I've never cared for.

I think the extended version of The Heat Is On, with it's pounding intro is a tonne better than the regular version.

It was fantastic experience to hear The Eagles perform The Heat Is On. I thought it'd be too keyboardie for them but I've learned they've got the chops to play anything.... and then some.

UndertheWire
06-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Beverly Hills Cop and Miami Vice must have given Glenn huge exposure. If he'd followed up fairly quickly with an album as good as Strange Weather, maybe it would have sold millions.

sodascouts
06-20-2015, 09:42 PM
It's not my favorite album, but it contains one of my favorite songs of his, "Smuggler's Blues." Interestingly, his biggest hits of the era - "You Belong to the City" and "The Heat Is On" - weren't on it.

shunlvswx
06-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Happy 31st Birthday to The Allnighter.

Funk 50
06-21-2015, 06:19 AM
It's not my favorite album, but it contains one of my favorite songs of his, "Smuggler's Blues." Interestingly, his biggest hits of the era - "You Belong to the City" and "The Heat Is On" - weren't on it.

The Allnighter was re-released in Europe with The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

I bought the original The Allnighter LP and The Heat Is On on 12" single. I think I've got a CD with extra tracks on too.

At an Eagles concert, Glenn told us that You Belong To The City was kept off the number one spot by Starship's We Built This City. WBTC was a huge hit in the UK. YBTTC was not.

sodascouts
06-21-2015, 07:48 PM
So close and yet so far! Still, #2 is nothing to sneeze at. No other Eagle has reached that height with solo material.

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 08:10 PM
I will never understand how We Built this City topped YBTTC. :eyebrow::headscratch:

I've always disliked WBTC since I first heard itm

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 11:30 PM
I just now realized that I forgot to rank the songs:

Ratings:
5- love it
4-great
3-good
2 - meh
1 - sucks

1. Smuggler's Blues 5++. My favorite Glenn solo song. Near the end, when he does that really deep, growly "Smuggler's Blues", my heart does this :heart: and I do this :thud:. Also, the video is a big part of what made me say "who is this hot man?".

2. The Allnighter 4.5. Love the rainy, thundering intro, very catchy, mysterious beat and i love the guitar solo.

3. Lovers Moon 4, nice beautiful ballad, even if it is more simple than some of his other ballads.

4. Better in the USA- 3.5, ok, some of the lyrics are cringe-worthy, especially in today's world, but I love the upbeat music music. It reminds me of R.O.C.K in the USA by John Mellencamp

5. Somebody Else 3.5, nice sax and a great song, minus the falsetto

6. I Got Love 3, maybe 3.5, it's nice and upbeat, but not memorable

7. New Love. 3, good, but I'm not crazy about it. The intro reminds me of another song, She's Gone- Hall and Oates

8. Sexy Girl 3, same as New Love. Good, but not my type of song

9. Let's Go Home 3, not a bad song, but I don't like the falsetto. It would've been much better if he had sung it normally

10. Living in Darkness 2.5, I can deal with the falsetto on Somebody Else and can tolerate it on Let's Go Home, but it's the worst on this song. He sounds like Michael Jackson, and I don't like that!

Overall, I agree with the majority. Probably Glenn's most dated and meh solo album overall. Except for the most excellent Smuggler's Blues and the title track, I can't understand why this is Glenn's most popular album!

06-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, AG. And as they always say, better late than never ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!!!

I think this album benefited from being the followup to Glenn's moderately successful debut album, No Fun Aloud. Even though NFA wasn't as commercially successful, I believe it was because it was Glenn's debut solo album and a big departure from his work with the Eagles. But, I think most folks think that NFA turned out to be a very good album, so when The Allnighter came along, the public was eager to hear more. My feeling is that it would have even been a huge success if it had equaled NFA in quality.

And, as far as You Belong To the City being edged out of the top spot by the significantly inferior, We Built This City, I just shake my head and wonder why. :shrug: :headscratch: :doh:I'm thinking Glenn must too since he's mentioned it on more than one occasion.

UndertheWire
06-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Perhaps this is the problem when you have to give into record label pressure rather than follow your instincts. MCA agreed to release the album if Glenn recorded three new songs. They just happen to be the three I like least: "I've Got Love", "Sexy Girl" and "Better in the USA". We know one of the songs that was dropped was "After Hours", so maybe there were other gems that escaped.

Did "The Heat is On" ever get included on the US release? Sales would have received a boost from Miami Vice and Beverly Hills Cops.

The funny thing about "You Belong to the City" was that they were sure it was going to be a big hit even before they recorded it.

UndertheWire
01-24-2016, 07:18 AM
I've looked for a legitimate copy of "Living in Darkness" for some time, as my CD has "The Heat is On" instead. Yesterday, most of Glenn's back catalogue became available as digital downloads (in the UK) and this includes "Living in Darkness".

I've been playing it on loop last night and this morning and I love it. I watched the UK "The Voice" and someone sang "Ain't Nobody" and so I immediately made the connection with Hawk Wolinski.
I can't help thinking that Glenn must have had a blast recording some funk. It certainly cheered me up.

As it's a Frey/Tempchin/Wolinksi co-write, I'm guessing that Glenn and Jack wrote the lyrics and possibly the vocal melody and the rest his pure Hawk. The only other track of Glenn's that is similar is "Flip City", also a Hawk co-write.

My take on the lyrics is that its aim was wider than Don and was anyone who was trying to persuade him that the band should get back together to play a few dates.

Outlawman13
01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
I do like this c.d. too!! It cheers me up to listen to his music!! I have some favvies on this c.d.

shunlvswx
06-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Happy 32nd Birthday to The Allnighter album. One of my favorite albums of Glenn's. The other one is Soul Searchin'.

My favorite songs: Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl, and New Love

AlreadyGone95
06-19-2016, 06:54 PM
Happy 32nd anniversary to The Allnighter

Smuggler's Blues is my favorite Glenn solo song and the title track is in my top 10.

buffyfan145
06-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Happy 32nd to "The Allnighter"!!! :D I love "Smuggler's Blues" too (especially the video since it was like a movie), as well as the title track (even if the first time I heard it I kept giggling about the subject matter LOL). "Sexy Girl" not so much since I feel it's dated but I didn't hear that one till recently so that's probably why.

sodascouts
06-19-2016, 09:34 PM
"Smuggler's Blues" is in my top three Glenn solo songs. I'm so glad that Miami Vice brought that fantastic song to the public's attention.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!

shunlvswx
06-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Happy 33rd Birthday to The Allnighter.

sodascouts
06-28-2017, 10:04 AM
I've been so busy with my parents' 50th Anniversary party and being in Texas that I haven't been posting hardly at all, and admittedly, I do feel a bit of the wind has been taken out of my sails when it comes to posting overall.

However, I took want to wish a happy birthday to The Allnighter, be a very belated one.

I really don't like the high voice songs, but the others are great, and who doesn't love Smuggler's Blues? Awesome!

Thanks for reminding us, shun!

UndertheWire
06-30-2017, 02:45 PM
The "grower" on this album, for me, is "New Love". At first I dismissed it as just a simple love song with the backing singers carrying most of it. However, I love Glenn's vocals and the melody and sentiments are lovely.

I'm also quite taken with "Living in Darkness". It isn't on the CD that I bought (replaced by "The Heat Is On") but I was able to purchase an mp3 version when Glenn's back-catalogue became available last year. Musically, it owes a lot to Hawk Wolinski and there are simularities to another collaboration, "Flip City" and the use of synths date it. Lyrically, it would seem to be Glenn, no doubt with help from Jack Tempchin, and I wonder if it was a response to pressure to reunite for the US festivals.

sodascouts
06-30-2017, 04:22 PM
I've always thought "Living in Darkness" was about pressure to resume the Eagles. It's very interesting in that respect, as he deals with that topic very little in his lyrics.

I don't really like it musically, nor do it like the way Glenn approaches it vocally. I've said this elsewhere, but I far prefer his voice when he's singing more naturally throughout.

Pippinwhite
06-30-2017, 10:29 PM
My problem with "Living in Darkness" is that it sounds like someone got a synthesizer for Christmas and couldn't wait to try out EVERYTHING! LOL.

The title cut, now.... Mercy. I know it's about a booty call and so forth, but the booty in question.....

"Lovers' Moon" just makes me sigh.

And on that deliciously smutty thread with all the football references from about 10 years ago: Wish I'd been a member then. I'd have gotten in on that one. (You know, it started out with the quarterback reference.) LOLOLOL. Two words: Wide Receiver. :drool:

shunlvswx
06-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Happy 34th Birthday to The Allnighter.

Pippinwhite
06-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Happy birthday to AN. Still love the title cut!

sodascouts
06-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Happy birthday, Allnighter!!

06-19-2018, 08:05 PM

This is one of my least favorites of Glenn's solo albums because it is very uneven. But, I do love Smuggler's Blues, the hot and sexy title track, and the catchy I Got Love.

Freypower
06-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Here is an article about the album.

Once again, however, comparisons MUST be made with Henley, who apparently 'upped the ante'. It also appears to imply that the Frey & Tempchin partnership started with this album when in fact it began with No Fun Aloud.

NOTE: This article was also quoted a couple of pages back in this thread. It would be nice if the UCR website would come up with updated information.

YoungEaglesFan
06-19-2018, 10:36 PM
I don’t get why his solo career can’t be discussed without Don being brought into play. It’s not like everytime Don’s solo career comes up they have to mention Glenn’s. It’s not fair. I do prefer the hits of Don’s career but I think Glenn’s albums have much more depth and are more solid from top to bottom.

Dawn
06-20-2018, 12:18 AM
It is to Glenn's credit that he had no fear and jumped in with both feet whether producing a solo album or taking on a challenging acting role for a hit tv show and even the big screen. It is amazing - downright inspirational - how far a young Glenn Frey actually went after burning his long johns and heading west to seek his fame and fortune. How much more he could/would have accomplished is anyone's guess but personally I have no doubt Glenn Frey was never going to stop chasing his dreams and making them a reality.

Happy Anniversary to The Allnighter. I am listening to it while working on a creative project of my own. Going kinda slow hard to concentrate while turning back the hands of time.

Dawn
06-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Once again, however, comparisons MUST be made with Henley, who apparently 'upped the ante'. It also appears to imply that the Frey & Tempchin partnership started with this album when in fact it began with No Fun Aloud.

NOTE: This article was also quoted a couple of pages back in this thread. It would be nice if the UCR website would come up with updated information.

I agree. So frustrating UCR can't get their facts right or apparently even update their website. As for the Henley comparison, pfft, best I not comment. I don't even like to think about him anymore.

Dawn
06-20-2018, 10:31 AM
I don’t get why his solo career can’t be discussed without Don being brought into play. It’s not like everytime Don’s solo career comes up they have to mention Glenn’s. It’s not fair. I do prefer the hits of Don’s career but I think Glenn’s albums have much more depth and are more solid from top to bottom.

I will agree with this except for preferring Don's hits over Glenn Frey's. I think Smugglers Blues, The Heat is On were phenomenal as were some of Don's but in the end they were two different guys with two different personalities, talents, likes and interests. Wish the critics understood at least that much.

CAinOH
06-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Whoever wrote that also needs to hire an editor. Geez...

Pippinwhite
06-20-2018, 11:23 AM
I've said it before: if you're a Paul McCartney fan, you hear the same darn thing over and over about his music being plastic and shallow while John was the artiste -- the GENIUS!

It's all very tiring. Glenn knew his strengths were in writing good songs people want to sing. Don can write good songs, too. However, when Glenn made a social point, it was usually more subtle and not preachy. Plus he helped a lot of people and organizations and just never made a big deal of it. There's no telling how many people got a check and had no idea where it came from. I'm not saying Don doesn't give to charity or anything like that at all. I'm just saying Glenn was quiet about it.

For some reason, some people always equate preachy with genius. Genius comes in many forms and sometimes it lies in being able to connect with people and write songs that make them feel better about how their day is going. None is superior to the other.

But, to bring it around back to topic, I still like this album. It's a solid work and except for just one or two songs, I listen to it all the way through.

YoungEaglesFan
06-20-2018, 01:41 PM
I will agree with this except for preferring Don's hits over Glenn Frey's. I think Smugglers Blues, The Heat is On were phenomenal as were some of Don's but in the end they were two different guys with two different personalities, talents, likes and interests. Wish the critics understood at least that much.

Oh definitely. In terms of solo career, they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.

Dawn
06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Oh definitely, I like Glenn’s hits but I have a just prefer Don’s. But in terms for solo career they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.

I understand, no worries. They did their own thing with their solo albums and other endeavors which underscored their individualism and unique personalities. Critics should stay away from drawing any comparisons ... and dear Pippin makes a good point when you get down to it - none is superior to the other.

:cheers:

Dawn
06-20-2018, 01:51 PM
I've said it before: if you're a Paul McCartney fan, you hear the same darn thing over and over about his music being plastic and shallow while John was the artiste -- the GENIUS!

It's all very tiring. Glenn knew his strengths were in writing good songs people want to sing. Don can write good songs, too. However, when Glenn made a social point, it was usually more subtle and not preachy. Plus he helped a lot of people and organizations and just never made a big deal of it. There's no telling how many people got a check and had no idea where it came from. I'm not saying Don doesn't give to charity or anything like that at all. I'm just saying Glenn was quiet about it.

For some reason, some people always equate preachy with genius. Genius comes in many forms and sometimes it lies in being able to connect with people and write songs that make them feel better about how their day is going. None is superior to the other.

But, to bring it around back to topic, I still like this album. It's a solid work and except for just one or two songs, I listen to it all the way through.

Well said! :-D

Pippinwhite
06-20-2018, 03:04 PM
@Dawn-- Thank you! :D

Freypower
06-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Oh definitely. In terms of solo career, they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.

But because they were in the same band, they are always compared, just as Lennon/McCartney & Gabriel/Collins were. And inevitably, the comparison always favours Henley just as it does Lennon & Gabriel.

I do wish Glenn had written more 'serious' songs on his first couple of albums but he didn't want to. He wanted to enjoy himself & also pay tribute to the music he grew up with.

New Kid In Town
06-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.

Freypower
06-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.

Or his singing.

New Kid In Town
06-20-2018, 08:52 PM
FP - So true......

CAinOH
06-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Or his singing.

Agreed... to all of it! (You, too, Pippin!)

Dawn
06-20-2018, 10:04 PM
But because they were in the same band, they are always compared, just as Lennon/McCartney & Gabriel/Collins were. And inevitably, the comparison always favours Henley just as it does Lennon & Gabriel.

I do wish Glenn had written more 'serious' songs on his first couple of albums but he didn't want to. He wanted to enjoy himself & also pay tribute to the music he grew up with.

Yes, I think Glenn followed his heart when paying tribute to the music he grew up with. Glenn could have tooted his own horn but I am of the opinion he could not and would not have done so comfortably. Glenn was a natural entertainer and frontman. He was never a show off. Far too humble.

YoungEaglesFan
06-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Separate question, but what songs are his more serious songs? I can tell the first two albums are less serious and obviously designed for fun and enjoyment. But I don’t know at what point that changed

Freypower
06-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Separate question, but what songs are his more serious songs? I can tell the first two albums are less serious and obviously designed for fun and enjoyment. But I don’t know at what point that changed

Well, Smuggler's Blues is obviously 'serious' as is the title track of Soul Searchin', but he didn't really write a whole album of more 'serious' songs until Strange Weather. Although songs like All Those Lies & Living In Darkness are 'darker' in tone they are personal songs, not 'issue' songs.

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Amen!

sodascouts
06-21-2018, 11:38 AM

...or his singing.

So true. His modesty reached the point of ridiculous self-deprecation sometimes, like the infamous "Without Don Henley we'd be Air Supply" comment, and if he truly believed that, it makes me sad.

FreyFollower
06-21-2018, 02:12 PM
I have always disagreed with the notion that songs that are political, dealing with current social issues, etc. are superior. Not saying they can't be excellent and worthy of praise. Those songs, however, can become dated rather quickly; leaving young people to wonder what they were about. Fun songs and more personal songs are universal, and transcend generations.
Don and Glenn's partnership worked so well, IMO, because each brought different things to the table. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.
When he did write serious songs, Glenn wrote matter-of-factly, rather than preachy or accusatory. That's a talent in itself! He could make you think, but mainly, he made you smile! In that, he had a real gift!
So happy birthday to "The Allnighter", an album that showed that Glenn could write fun or serious, romantic or sexy!

Delilah
06-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Im not sure what you mean. What needs to be updated?

Happy Belated Anniversary to The Allnighter!!

This is possibly my favorite Glenn solo album. I enjoy all the tracks except for Living in Darkness. I’m not a big fan of the type of falsetto he uses here. Otherwise his voice shines. He’s a very romantic-type of singer. By that I don’t mean in a sappy lovey-dovey sense, but in an idealistic, positive way.

Freypower
06-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Im not sure what you mean. What needs to be updated?

Happy Belated Anniversary to The Allnighter!!

This is possibly my favorite Glenn solo album. I enjoy all the tracks except for Living in Darkness. I’m not a big fan of the type of falsetto he uses here. Otherwise his voice shines. He’s a very romantic-type of singer. By that I don’t mean in a sappy lovey-dovey sense, but in an idealistic, positive way.

The article is a couple of years old & has already been referred to in this thread. They could have updated the incorrect information that Glenn & Jack only started writing together with this album. They could have tried to give a fresh perspective instead of posting something several years old.

shunlvswx
06-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Happy 35th Birthday to Glenn's second solo album, The Allnighter. I do like this album. A lot of songs from this album is played on Pandora.

I just noticed something. Glenn must had loved the month of June because he released two albums and a DVD.

CAinOH
06-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Happy 35th Birthday to Glenn's second solo album, The Allnighter. I do like this album. A lot of songs from this album is played on Pandora.

I just noticed something. Glenn must had loved the month of June because he released two albums and a DVD.

My favorite Glenn Frey album! But... 35 years? Oy.

sodascouts
06-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Dang! 35!

It's not my fave of his albums, but it does have one of my favorite songs: Smuggler's Blues. And looks-wise... OH MY GOSH.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALLNIGHTER!!!

06-19-2019, 07:15 PM

This is among my least favorite of Glenn's solo albums too. I has a few excellent songs, but, overall is a pretty uneven album, IMHO. I agree with Soda though about the visuals. The photos from the album photo shoot and the videos are incredible ... no uneven moments in that regard.

shunlvswx
06-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Happy Belated 36th Birthday to the Allnighter on June 19th.

KingWalsh
06-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Wow busy couple of weeks for releases and what not. Many a good song on here hard to pick, but I wish "heat is on" was included and "living in darkness" left off. But one thing I have to say....call me crazy...one of my faves is "Somebody Else" and I have envisioned it a whole new way, like as if Eagles recorded it during Long Run period....it just sounds like something from that era to me! Ok enough babble, so my version has the sax removed in favor for some sick slide courtesy of Joe, and of course some sweet guitar interplay between Felder and Walsh, the sweet harmonizing that Timothy and Henley bring and Glenn singing in a lower, rugged way instead of so high. But I love the song!

Has anyone else done this? Envision solo songs as if the band did them? Like a fantasy album as if they took a break after The Long Run, but got back at it in 80s?? Maybe a thought for a new thread...:guitar:

CAinOH
06-23-2020, 08:14 AM
Wow busy couple of weeks for releases and what not. Many a good song on here hard to pick, but I wish "heat is on" was included and "living in darkness" left off. But one thing I have to say....call me crazy...one of my faves is "Somebody Else" and I have envisioned it a whole new way, like as if Eagles recorded it during Long Run period....it just sounds like something from that era to me! Ok enough babble, so my version has the sax removed in favor for some sick slide courtesy of Joe, and of course some sweet guitar interplay between Felder and Walsh, the sweet harmonizing that Timothy and Henley bring and Glenn singing in a lower, rugged way instead of so high. But I love the song!

Has anyone else done this? Envision solo songs as if the band did them? Like a fantasy album as if they took a break after The Long Run, but got back at it in 80s?? Maybe a thought for a new thread...:guitar:

This is my favorite Glenn Frey solo album. I occasionally flirt with the idea of No Fun Aloud being my favorite, but, no... this is it. KW, I love Somebody Else, too! I would swap out Let's Go Home for about anything else, though. Sorry, not sorry... I call that the "stalker song." Living in Darkness is okay, but I always think of the Teaberry shuffle when I hear it. (Don't worry if you don't understand. It's an old folks joke.) My favorite, though, is Lover's Moon. I put that on repeat a few times when I'm listening to this album.

06-27-2020, 01:32 PM

I had to laugh at your comments, KW and CA because this is one of my least favorite of Glenn's solo albums. There is some really good stuff on the album, but one of my complaints is his overuse of the falsetto. I think both Somebody Else and Let's Go Home would both be far superior if Glenn had sang them in his natural tenor voice. I love the music in Somebody Else, but never really envisioned it as a Eagles song. You never know though - they could probably pull anything off. I always thought Let's Go Home could have been gorgeous and uber sexy if Glenn had sang it in a real man voice instead of like a whiny pre-teen. :D To me, Sexy Girl and Better in the U.S.A. are just average. And New Love and Living in Darkness are not favorites of mine - I consider them among some of Glenn's weakest songs.

KingWalsh
06-27-2020, 05:28 PM
!!! I always thought Let's Go Home could have been gorgeous and uber sexy if Glenn had sang it in a real man voice instead of like a whiny pre-teen. :D To me, Sexy Girl and Better in the U.S.A. are just average..[/QUOTE]

Your comments about my comments made me laugh :rofl: ya I didn’t dig the falsetto but still a great album. My daughter cringes when “sexy girl” comes on :blush: somehow Spotify always sneaks that one on when she’s around.