PDA

View Full Version : Pete Seeger

Stars
05-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I am getting ready to head to NYC for Pete Seeger's 90th birthday celebration concert at Madison Square Garden, and I wondered if any Borderers are also going. It would be great fun to meet up!
This concert promises to be a fantastic one, with folks like Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Roger McGuinn, Kris Kristofferson, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, and many many more showing up to sing songs to honor Pete.
Hope to see some of you there!:thumbsup:

Freypower
05-03-2009, 11:35 PM
He deserves to be honoured. He paved the way for Dylan as well as many other folk singers, although they derided him for being too left wing and stuck in an ideological hole.

His version of one of THE great songs, Guantanamera, sends chills down my spine. Enjoy it, Stars.

Stars
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks, FP. I did have a fantastic time! The highpoint was when Bruce Springsteen sang his Ghost of Tom Joad song-brought me to tears.
Pete is just amazing-he lead everyone in a rousing rendition of Amazing Grace-just beautiful.
I do remember Guantanamera-there was a version over here by the Pozo Seco singers. Lovely song.
Great night last night-I wished it would never end!:)

Troubadour
05-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Sounds fantastic, Stars - glad you had a great time! Did you see Kris Kristofferson? :heart:

eaglesvet
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
How about John Mellencamp...what did he sing? Are we going to get a play-by-play by the guest list...we would really looooove to hear alllllll about it! Please? :angel:

Stars
05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Troub, I did see Kris Kristofferson, and it was wonderful to see him again. I wish I could remember what songs he sang-it was two songs with other people. I didn't write anything down-lol.
EV, I wish I could give a play by play, but I didn't remember my pad and pen to write stuff down. I do, however, remember that John Mellencamp sang "If I Had a Hammer", and another song, one of his compositions. Some people did sing two songs, others only one. I wish Bruce had sung two songs, but the one he did sing was a real gem!:thumbsup:

eaglesvet
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Did they have a good program or souveniers or birthday cake or anything?

Troubadour
05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Troub, I did see Kris Kristofferson, and it was wonderful to see him again.

Again? Some people have all the luck! ;) Glad you had a great time, Carla. I'm the same as you - I don't know how people manage to remember every detail of a concert. Most of the time, they're big, heady blurs to me!

eaglesvet
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Troub, you and Peek had better each decide on one concert to memorize and one to mesmerize, because we expect a cohesive report on the Don from this side of the pond in a couple of weeks... ya hear?

Stars
05-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Troub, I went to see Kris in concert in DC at the end of February-it was just fantastic! However, it's all a blur to me now-I know just what you mean!:)
EV, they did have a souvenier program and T shirts at the concert. I had thought about getting a T shirt, but at the last minute decided against it. They were $30.

Dawn
06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pete Seeger as well as the folk trio Peter Paul and Mary. Came across this poignant quote and thought I'd share it with other fans.

"Pete (Seeger) paved the way by using his music to create community and the kind of hard spirit that really became the soundtrack of activism in the 1960s and 70s. The spirit of it really, really was different from pop music. The people who sang this music were expected to be there and put their lives, their hearts, their time on the line for the things that they believed in. ... Mary [Travers], who passed away four years ago, Mary used to call us 'Seeger’s raiders.'" — Peter Yarrow (Peter Paul and Mary)