PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek :: SPOILERS ::

sodascouts
05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, just saw the new Star Trek movie! I'm a big fan of the Original Series and The Next Generation, but the movies have been hit-and-miss. Tonight, a friend and I saw the new Star Trek film.

My review:

The Good: action packed and exciting, it's a compelling thrill ride that'll keep you on the edge of your seat. The visuals, CGI, and technological flourishes are terrific. Lots of one-liner "in jokes" for hardcore fans. Terrific cast and well-acted.

The Bad: Plot holes a mile wide. Lots of "convenient" events that stretch credibility even for sci fi. The premise for the villain's vendetta was very flimsy. It seemed they spent little effort on plot logic.

The Ugly: Through a plot device involving time travel.... they completely destroyed the old canon. Literally, it's been erased, like in Back to the Future where Marty goes back and changes everything (I kept waiting for the Star Trek gang to fix it back, but nope). According to the new plotline, NONE OF THE OLD CANON EVER HAPPENED.

THAT I do not like.

Toonlass
05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
I saw Star Trek yesterday and I did enjoy it but I can see why, for some, its not as good as they were expecting. To a certain degree, it is a new start for the franchise, so that meant introducing a lot of people, especially as they are trying to get new fans in as well. It felt almost like an introductory episode at the start of a new show. At the end of the film both me and my boyfriend felt like, rights thats the intros over, how about the story now.

I think in terms of the time travel thing, I'm looking at it from the point of view of alternative reality that was mentioned. It's not like the previous crews stories didn't happen, more that we are now looking at another reality. That, to me, is the only way you can start afresh with the stories, as it doesn't give them the constraints that Enterprise had to work with (and failed miserably in changing a lot of the canon).

tbs fanatic
05-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Hope to see this soon. Hubby and I are not exactly 'trekkies' but we always watched the various Star Trek tv shows. Both my boys have seen it (even though they are not fans at all?) - one liked it the other not so much.

sodascouts
05-17-2009, 02:25 AM
I guess we can pretend that the black hole did not actually take Spock and Nero back in time, but instead to a parallel universe (BTW, I think the writers mixed up "black hole" with "worm hole" but anyway...).