PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks

EagleLady
05-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Per Nancy's suggestion, I figured I would start a thread to continue the Dixie Chick discussion. I, feel IMO, They were right to express their opinion about Bush.

sodascouts
05-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't agree with their choice, but they had to right to make it. However, they should also be ready to accept the consequences of their choice and stop whining about how unfair it is that people got mad. Obviously the extreme reaction of the death threats was uncalled for, but most people didn't react that way. Most people simply criticized Maines as she criticized Bush, and/or stopped listening to the Dixie Chicks. And that is their right.

anne-o-gg
05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
by AzEaglesFan:
I 'm a big Dixie Chick fan and I think there were several reason that people came down on them so hard. They were in England I believe, they were on stage and people were there to listen to their music not their politics and they just seemed to egg it on. Then Natalie got into it with Toby Keith and that poured gas on the fire. The two of them went at it for awhile and kept the whole thing in the news. Toby was finally the one that said enough.

I agree with this - Don has a LOT to say about the things he believes in, but a concert is about the music, not his opinions...unless they're in a song ;)

One thing I thought was that part of the difference could be that Don, from the beginning, has always been out-spoken and critical of certain things...he has a L.O.N.G. history of this and we sort of expect it from him...Natalie's comment seemed to come outta the blue, like she was trying to get a laugh or something...but for whatever reason, she struck a nerve...

then her junior-high-school-feud with toby keith just got plain rediculous, imo...

Freypower
05-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree with this - Don has a LOT to say about the things he believes in, but a concert is about the music, not his opinions...unless they're in a song ;)

Don't you think there is something contradictory here? If opinions are expressed in songs, then they are sanitised and acceptable, but if you SAY what your opinion is that is wrong?

I am not a fan of the Dixie Chicks but I am sure that Ms Maines was not trying to 'get a laugh'. Her opinion is as valid as that of the people who so vehemently disagree with her. I don't subscribe to the 'my country, right or wrong' school of thought. In Australia we don't wear our patriotism as proudly as Americans do.

The point is that if you are patriotic and love your country part of that surely includes accepting that not everyone thinks the current polcies of your country are effective, and in a democracy they have the right to say so.

Regarding 'she should have known what the consequences would be and not complained when she was criticised' I know less about how that panned out, but this doesn't change her essential right to say what she said.

Fan_For_Life
05-17-2009, 08:25 PM
When the discussion came up about this, I recalled seeing a news clip of some woman who were in Rumsfeld's face this past week and just yelling and screaming blatantly calling him names,,war-monger, liar,,whatever else they thought appropriate to make a scene with. Not only this but they carried it and followed him into the building screaming and yelling... It's not so much what they were saying that struck a nerve, but that they were completely disrespecting his personal space and to me that is something no one should take for granted no matter what right they may think they had to do so. And should not be used in an act of protest.

At least Natalie didn't go this far as to make a complete spectacle of herself/dixie chicks. I think she expressed her right under civil law and unfortunately she was highly criticized for this. If you or I, not being celebrities, can say anything without consequences then in a perfect world she should not be criticized either.

anne-o-gg
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, usually Don's songs are written in a way that the point of the song doesn't JUMP out at you - like a talking rant does...for instance - I've always loved "All She Wants to Do is Dance" but I didn't have a clue what the actual meaning was until a few weeks ago (mind you I've only known the song for a few months)...

I see what you mean though, i guess it is contrdictory - and I've no idea how to solve that:shrug:

What I do know is that when I saw the Eagles in Indy - I wanted to hear the music. I didn't pay good money to hear anyone's opinion (whether it was in agreement with mine or not).

luvthelighthouse
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I, feel IMO, They were right to express their opinion about Bush.

I don't think anyone is saying Natalie didn't have a right to express her feelings. We all understand freedom of speech... however, those who chose to exercise that right, as Natalie did, have to be prepared for the consquences... good, bad or otherwise.

Generally speaking, if Don is interviewed and asked questions, he gives his opinion and it's not always pretty. As far as I know, he does not get on stage and rant about his political views. In all honesty, Natalie was on stage performing, in another country and that has NOTHING to do with the President. So, for her to say what she did, IMO, was to get a cheer and reaction from the crowd. What she also got and probably didn't expect, was that many people boycotted their music afterwards, which is their right to do so.

I thought the Dixie Chicks were okay, but nothing special. After her comment, I had no desire to listen to any of their music again. Now, if I were a die hard fan, it may not have made a difference to me... but I wasn't a die hard and it did make a difference, "to me". Seeing as how I am a huge fan of the Eagles, if any of them said something against the President, I'd probably take it with a grain of salt.

Like I said in the other thread, when I go to a concert I want to hear the songs and enjoy the music, I don't care to hear about their political views. I also can't stand it when people are accepting awards and they make a political statement. Sure, they "can" do it, but why? Who cares? I could careless what they think of the war or the state of the country. Tell me why you are happy to be receiving the award and move on.

Prettymaid
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't you think there is something contradictory here? If opinions are expressed in songs, then they are sanitised and acceptable, but if you SAY what your opinion is that is wrong?

The important element here is that she said what she said on stage while performing. I feel, as some others here, that you should be able to say what you want if you are willing to face the consequences. But I do not like it when somebody does it on stage. I have a job where I have customers, but I don't think they would appreciate my sevices as much if I told them what I think of our government and its policies! There is a time and place for everything.

EagleLady
05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
It's not a crime to want to express your views on stage.

Brooke
05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
She wasn't arrested.

I agree with TBF. There's a time and a place for everything. When I go to a concert, I want to hear the music, not their political views.

Maleah
05-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Especially when I paid my hard earned money to hear them SING! Not rant and rave about their political views.

EagleLady
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Personally, I don't mind either way. It is their show and they can do what they please. JMO.

Freypower
05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
The feeling I get here is that people object to hearing the artists' political views expressed on stage because they disagree with them.

I have no strong feelings about this either way. In my case, I tend to agree with my favourite artists' views. That tends to be one of the reasons why you like the artist. If I know that some artist is right wing I would be far less likely to have any interest in their music, so I wouldn't be in the position of ever going to see them and disagree with their views.

Fan_For_Life
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
It doesn't bother me to hear an artist speak their views. No matter what stage they decide to do so. In fact it makes them that much more interesting to me that they would have the courage to stand up and express truthfully what they believe in. I try to look past my way of thinking and try to understand where they may be coming from, as I would anyone whom I hear speaking without shouting. There is an appropriate way to do this and it's not by ranting or raving or carrying on. Honestly I only saw a snippet of this on tv and the only thing that I didn't understand was instead of encouraging people, she used it to discourage people. In a way. But for what it's worth, I don't think she said/did anything to bring about any of the treatment they received. It is a heavy political climate and people tend to over react.

Freypower
05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't understand what you mean by 'discouraging' people.

EagleLady
05-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't see how it discouraged people either. If anything, Maybe it encouraged people to take a stand and see that their country is not being run the way it should be. JMHO

Fan_For_Life
05-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I did only see snippet on tv. After seeing it I didn't pay any more mind to it. For her to say she's ashamed is discouraging because George W. Bush does not define Texas. Encouragement to stand up yes but in a moment of her use of the stage to say she's ashamed is discouragement.

EagleLady
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I really don't agree with the statement that it is discouragement. Is it discouragement to not agree with the way the president runs our country? Are you saying we should all agree with our president, and not speak our minds?

Fan_For_Life
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Absolutely not. I said nothing of the sort. I'm saying discouragement is not in her dislike of him it's in her outburst of being ashamed of being a texan. She's from Texas, was she ashamed to be herself. It's all about roots and where you come from, not in one person. Her encouragement is in speaking how she truely feels.

Freypower
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm afraid I still don't understand what you mean by the word 'discouragement'. To feel discouraged is to feel depressed, as in 'I feel a bit down today'. To 'discourage' someone is to put them off such as when you say 'I don't think you should do that'. Because she feels ashamed of being from Texas is not telling others that they should feel the same way she does. People who disagree with her should not feel 'discouraged' or upset about it. On the contrary, they all came out and attacked her, far from saying nothing.

Prettymaid
05-19-2009, 07:30 AM
The feeling I get here is that people object to hearing the artists' political views expressed on stage because they disagree with them.

I have no strong feelings about this either way. In my case, I tend to agree with my favourite artists' views. That tends to be one of the reasons why you like the artist. If I know that some artist is right wing I would be far less likely to have any interest in their music, so I wouldn't be in the position of ever going to see them and disagree with their views.

FP, you put me in mind of my husband who, although he always denies this, does not want to watch a movie if the actors are those who speak out politically against his views. I, on the other hand, would like to watch the movie (or any artist for that matter) and not even be aware of what their political views are. I watch the movie to be entertained (as I listen to music to be entertained) and have no more desire to know these people's political views than that of the person who cuts my hair. Why would these peoples views be of any interest to me? They are not political experts, but people just like you and me who have an opinion. By all means let them (and all of us) be allowed to speak our opinions, but just because your job gives you a stage to perform on, don't use that stage for something other than what you are there to do (act, sing, perform).

anne-o-gg
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM

First - I love the avi FP!! That's a great pic!

I guess I'm just the opposite here because I AM right wing - and I love the Eagles, even though, as much as I can tell, they are all left wingers (though Don is the most vocal)...I don't agree with him about 90% of the time...but I love the music. If I find the message in any given song "too much" for me, I just skip it.

I dunno why people reacted the way they did...I think we'd be hard pressed to come up with an exact reason...we are the land of the free and with everyone having the right to express his/her opinion, believing they are right and the other guy is wrong, well, it can get a little crazy out there...

Brooke
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I in the same boat as you, Aogg! I'm way more right wing than left, but I can easily overlook that with the Eagles. Thank goodness!

EagleLady
05-19-2009, 10:07 AM
As I said before, It's not your job to tell the performers what they can or cannot say.

luvthelighthouse
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM

I have to admit, that I can not relate to this statement at all. I can not imagine NOT liking someone because they are of opposing political views. I for one can tell you, I do not care if the artist agrees or disagrees with my views, I don't want them using the entertainment stage to tell me their beliefs.

I pick my favorite artists based on their talent and not much else.

Prettymaid
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
As I said before, It's not your job to tell the performers what they can or cannot say.

No, it's my job to not buy their stuff or go to see them if they pi** me off!

sodascouts
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I think the attitude of "If I don't agree with them, I won't like anything they do" is exactly what is wrong with this country. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them worthless as musicians or whatever path they have chosen in life. I think it's a real shame that some people are unable to understand that there are good, talented people on both sides of the aisle.

That said, I agree that it is tiresome to hear political views in concert, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. They're free to do it; I'm free to roll my eyes at it.

anne-o-gg
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I can easily overlook that with the Eagles. Thank goodness!

Me too - they sure make some pretty music together! Man - I can't get enough!

Freypower
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I have to admit, that I can not relate to this statement at all. I can not imagine NOT liking someone because they are of opposing political views. I for one can tell you, I do not care if the artist agrees or disagrees with my views, I don't want them using the entertainment stage to tell me their beliefs.

I pick my favorite artists based on their talent and not much else.

I had better clarify this and state that I have never decided I like someone's music (because that is normally what it is) on the basis of politics.

I am basically on the left, but there are some musicians who claim to be on the left whose endless posturing and self-righteousness annoys me. I am not going to say who they are, but they do not include the Eagles. So that somewhat negates what I said about being unlikely to like an artist if they are right wing. Perhaps it also negates what I said about believing they should be allowed to express their views on stage. I have to say I would perhaps be irritated by them if they preached to me on stage.

However, as EL said, if they are going to use the stage to propagate their beliefs, who am I to tell them they shouldn't? While I understand the 'shut up and sing' thing, if that is what they want to do, then it really can't be helped. As Soda said you are free to rolll your eyes at them if you wish.

melrose
05-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I didn't want to get into the whole Dixie Chicks discussion, but I guess I can't hold out anymore. I agree with most everything y'all have said about the situation with her having the right and being prepared, so I don't feel the need to comment more on that.

The discussion on whether or not you like an artist for their political views stumps me a bit. I've never cherry picked artists based on their left or right-wingedness, but to each his own. I've noticed that most of the artists I like have differing views from mine, but that doesn't make me like them any less or change the way I feel about their music. But when an artist is on stage, I think they should stick to their music and not their politics. It isn't the end of the world if they veer off to the politics topic, but judging by some of the reactions I've encountered at concerts, I think it is best to leave the politics for when the mics are off. In a perfect world, I think that at concerts, the musician should focus on promoting their music and indulging their fans, but that's just my humble opinion.

Fan_For_Life
05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

For me it's not in what someone says it's how it's said that makes the difference for me in how I listen to the person talking. Someone shouting in my face,, I'm not listening to what's said but to the shouting,, some one comes to me and talks in normal tones,, then I can listen better. If that makes any sense to anyone.

However, whatever and however it's said does not mean I stop listening to the music.

Maleah
05-19-2009, 11:45 PM
First - I love the avi FP!! That's a great pic!

I guess I'm just the opposite here because I AM right wing - and I love the Eagles, even though, as much as I can tell, they are all left wingers (though Don is the most vocal)...I don't agree with him about 90% of the time...but I love the music. If I find the message in any given song "too much" for me, I just skip it.

I dunno why people reacted the way they did...I think we'd be hard pressed to come up with an exact reason...we are the land of the free and with everyone having the right to express his/her opinion, believing they are right and the other guy is wrong, well, it can get a little crazy out there...

Same here! I am right wing too and I LOVE the guys.....ESPECIALLY Don. Whether I agree with him or not, I love the man's music. Like a few other people have said, I could care less if I agree with them or not. I just don't want to spend $200 a ticket to hear them rant and rave about politics. They can do interviews about it, they can write songs about it, they can hold a news conference, they can stand at the top of a mountain and shout it out to whoever listens.......I could care less. They certainly don't have to do what I would like, it's their job and their music and they control it. But like PM said.....it's my choice to buy or not buy their music, go or not go to their concerts. Would I do that solely because of their political opinions? No. But if they kept on and on and on about it or came across as rather insulting to anyone who didn't agree....then yeah it may influence my decision. Nobody else has to like it...it's my choice. Same as they could care less whether I like their political talk or not....that's a choice they make I guess.

Regardless, I'm so tired of all the left wing/right wing stuff. Yeah....we have differing opinions on politics. So what. Why does it always have to usually resort to insulting comments about one party or the other with most people? That's not saying it's happening here, just rather an observation on everyday life.

Oh well, I'm done now. :lol: I don't even know if any of this made any sense. I'm off to pay my online bills ;) :yuck:

Prettymaid
05-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Regardless, I'm so tired of all the left wing/right wing stuff. Yeah....we have differing opinions on politics. So what. Why does it always have to usually resort to insulting comments about one party or the other with most people? That's not saying it's happening here, just rather an observation on everyday life.

Amen, Sister!

anne-o-gg
05-20-2009, 07:52 AM
SO agree maleah and pm! In a perfect world our differences would balance us as a country - not tear us apart...I've never been a fan of one side or the other having full control...

OH that we would all just get along...I'm reminded of a song..."we thought we could change this world with words like love and freedom!" - If we wanna get outta the Sad Cafe, we gotta LIVE the love and protect the freedom not just talk about it...

Ok, that's my soapbox for today...just so you know, I love you all! :hug:

Brooke
05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
It's funny, I've never cared about artists political views and such. If I liked their music, it didn't matter to me what they thought about such and such.

Until the Dixie Chicks fiasco. That's the only time it ever mattered. I guess it was what she said and the way she said it and the fact she wouldn't let it die.

AmarilloByMorning
08-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I’m neither wing and dislike blind allegiance to anything, particularly a political party. I fundamentally disagreed with both what she said and the way Maines dealt with the fallout (it seemed like self-righteous teenage pouting). Regardless, as a country music enthusiast, I really, vehemently wish the Chicks would return. We’re drowning beneath the dual-pop assault of Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood and could really use their bluegrass twinges. They were a beacon in a time of Faith Hill and Shania Twain, releasing Home when they could have stayed the “Landslide” route and soared into the pop stratosphere. I do not particularly care for Maines and, to echo previously-expressed sentiments, could care less about the band’s political opinions, but I really miss the Chicks.

On that note, I’m off to listen to “Long Time Gone.”

AzEaglesFan
08-11-2009, 02:19 AM
I wish the Chicks would bring out some new music. They have a right to their opinion whether we agree with it or not. I sure miss their music. I'm starting to hear a few of their songs on the radio again maybe a new CD will come out soon.

sodascouts
03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Looks like the Chicks are once again consorting with the Eagles. ;)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2342

timfan
06-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I have found a youtube video from last night concert in Toronto of the Dixie Chicks performing my fav song of theirs "Not Ready to Make Nice"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGkRk3R5P4

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for posting that, TF!

The Dixie Chicks also have an official YouTube channel, which I was checking out in order to get amped up for the Chicago show:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dixiechicksVEVO

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Train (the music group) just posted on their official Facebook profile a link to this fan-shot video of the Dixie Chicks covering the Train song "Soul Sister" at the Toronto show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpOUUsS3NMo

Cool!

sodascouts
06-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Chicago's just a week away and it brought me in mind of the last time I saw a Dixie Chick live - Natalie Maines - at Stevie Nicks' Arizona Heart Institute Benefit in 2001. I took this photo of them singing "Too Far from Texas":

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/ahi/images/AHINatStevie.jpg

Great song.