PDA

View Full Version : Livin' Right

Pages : [1] 2

luvthelighthouse
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
How many here are actually living a healthy lifestyle? I mean, eating right and working out regularly.

Try as I may to stay on track, it's hard! I keep joking that I'm going to take a five day vegan challange to boost my metabolism. I try to do some sort of exercise every day, but there are days I just can't bring myself to even take a walk. I do try to do my eliptical machine four times a week though, even if only for a half hour.

What is everyone else doing?

GlennLover
05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Nothing. I need help!

AzEaglesFan
05-21-2009, 03:40 PM
I start the day out great but by evening I'm a very bad girl. I need a lot of help but don't know where to even begin to correct years of bad habits. :-(

Prettymaid
05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
This is a great topic LTL. At work we did a biggest loser challenge this year - it ran from the first week of January to the last week of April. Only five of us did it - we weighed in every Friday and put $2.00 in the pot (I know... we're cheap!) Percentage of weight lost was recorded, and yours truly won! Don't get too excited - I only lost six pounds! That tells you how everyone else did! Since then I've lost another four pounds, basically by eating less. I already consider myself a fairly healthy eater - it's the excercise that haunts me! Naturally in the summer months I'm more active so it's easier to keep the weight off, but man, I gotta tell you, it's hard to do! As AZ said, bad habits are hard to break, but I know it can be done, so I'm tryin' to do it!

Also, livin' right to me is keeping my mind in the present moment, appreciating all the beauty around me and thinking positively. It sounds much easier than it is!

sodascouts
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I've been gaining weight steadily since I went to graduate school and, like all my friends, starting existing on fast food and living most of my life in front of the computer writing my dissertation. I have a gym membership but it languishes and now I'm almost embarrassed to go back. I think the thing that is really keeping me back is how inordinately tired I've been after work for weeks now. I don't know what's wrong with me. Some of my friends have mono and I wonder if I've managed to catch it.

I know things need to change, but I have so much stress in my life right now that I'm putting it off until things calm down. I wish I had Glenn's attitude about it, but frankly I loathe "Livin' Right." I loathe exercise, I hate giving up yummy foods. I have a huge appetite and I hate being hungry. In short, "Livin' Right" makes me miserable. I figure I'll endure the suffering that is "Living' Right" when I have fewer other problems.

EagleLady
05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
I am bad about Livin Right, but the video is hilarious with Glenn, the lazy slug turned into the gym ethusiast :hilarious:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Okay - when Soda mentioned the Livin' Right video, I was thinking to myself - well, Glenn had the incentive of all those nice young ladies to coax him into the gym. Now, I don't like exercise either, but if Mr. Frey wants to start visiting the gym again, I maybe could be persuaded. :partytime:

luvthelighthouse
05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I have to say, I really dislike that video! However, it was a perfect title for this thread.

I too hate exercising, but I force myself to do it. I love food and I joke it's slowly killing me to eat better and cut out my desserts (for now). I'm desperately trying to lose at least 15 lbs, if not more.

Soda, I can relate to the tiredness. Every day I would nap for an hour in the afternoon because I couldn't keep my eyes open. Once I started eating better and forcing myself to at least walk two miles, I felt so much better. I actually don't need my nap anymore! I have energy now. It's only been a couple of months, but there is an improvement.

It's so funny, because I know this lifestyle change is so much better/healthier for me... but boy it's a lot of hard work. I guess I've noticed several of the elderly people I know who are overweight are having such a hard time w/illnesses and what not. The ones that are thinner and eat better appear to be aging much better and aren't on any medications... so I decided I better "do something" :) before I got "out of control" (ha, I didn't even plan those!)

PM, congrats on the weight loss. Good for you! I'm down about 12 myself. I'm going to get my old body back if it kills me... and it might. :hilarious: AZ, you are speaking my language... I usually fall apart at night too, but I try each day to get a little better. Today, no chocolate for me! Yeah! Although I just sucked down two slices of cheese and three handfuls of goldfish crackers... but no sugary sweet desserts...

Koala
05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
I try to do every day 2 hours sport and to live fairly healthy. Both not always succeeds!
Nevertheless I have lost during the last months 20 pounds. Unfortunately, I can not do the sports that I like, for example soccer, tennis or vollyball. Because I have been operated during the last 10 years already 4 times on the right knee.

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Wow Koala, a 20 lb. loss is great. Good for you!

I don't think we're meant to "be good" all the time. There is a time for that (most of the time) and then there can be room to indulge. I'm not talking about going crazy and undoing all of your hard work. I'm talking about maybe once a day putting one piece of chocolate in your mouth and enjoying the smooth sweetness as it melts on your tongue, or once every 3 or 4 weeks going to Dairy Queen and splurging on your favorite small Blizzard (Extreme Chocolate for me - yummy!)

This is life, after all, and we're meant to live it to the fullest. We can have it all - in moderation! :thumbsup:

Stars
05-22-2009, 09:26 AM
PM, I so agree with you! I have lost 10 pounds over the past six months or so, and it's all from moderation. Yes, I have been exercising more (walking, mostly), but I have not totally cut out the foods I love, just cut back on them. For example, where once I would eat an entire giant chocolate bar, now I'll just have a smaller version. I am such a chocoholic, and I make sure that I have a little bit each day. I am afraid if I totally deny myself chocolate, I will go nuts one day and eat everything chocolate in sight!:hilarious:

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Stars, you're speakin' my language! Ahhh...chocolate! (ahem) in moderation, of course!

Koala
05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Wow Koala, a 20 lb. loss is great. Good for you!
:thumbsup:
Thanks!
I must agree too, I like to eat candy, pizza or other Fast Food but not to much, however I donŽt eat chocolate since years.

GlennLover
05-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope I can draw inspiration from all your acheivements! I hate exercise too! And the mention of Dairy Queen-I just finished pigging out on a piece of DQ cake left over from my birthday last week. Thank goodness it's almost gone. I have to start exercising. I have gained sooo much weight over the past couple of years it is affecting my health :ack:. Please, keep the encouragement coming! Hopefully we can inspire each other :pray:.

luvthelighthouse
05-22-2009, 03:23 PM
GL, I'm pretty good at keeping after people. Just try to make some positive changes. For example, promise to walk for only 25 mins a day. A nice fast paced walk. It's not even a half hour. It gets you moving and you'll feel better about yourself. Also, try to cut out sweets and eat fruit in it's place. (Easier said than done) At first, I had to keep Hersey's Kisses in my house. I would allow myself two a day... usually after dinner, so I had something to look forward to. :hilarious: Now, I can actually do w/out dessert for days. Believe me when I say this is a true miracle. I am the world's best chocoholic. I LOVE and worship chocolate. However, I limit myself.

I started off by walking, because it is something that didn't require me going to the gym and I could do it whenever I had a half hour. There are often times I don't clean up after dinner and head straight out the door to walk... the dishes will still be there waiting for me, but I'll feel better about getting outside and moving. I'm lucky enough to have an eliptical machine at home, so I can hop on that whenever I want w/out going to the gym. My gym membership never got the workout it should have. I probably could start jogging at this point, but I'm not sure I want to. I just walk really really fast and often my legs end up hurting, but it's worth it.

If you want to, you CAN do it! Just start w/the little things.

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I know - it's very, very hard. But it can be done. What's working for me is limiting what I eat in a day. I always eat a bowl of cereal and a banana every morning, then maybe I'll just have popcorn or a salad for lunch, and then usually fish or chicken for dinner, always with a vegetable. We eat a lot of pasta (I love pasta), but I make it with lighter sauces. Fortunately Hubby's tastes and mine are both changing as we get older. We don't eat very much red meat or bread anymore - we just don't crave it. We quit keeping potato chips and candy bars in the house several years ago. Now they are treats that we bring into the house two or three times a year. Instead I keep foil wrapped chocolate candy on hand and have one piece. If we want to munch on something it's either popcorn or a handful of nuts. And I cook meals at home much more than we go out to eat. That's very important.

I subscribed to Prevention magazine last year and found a wealth of information. I would recommend Prevention to anyone who is trying to live a more healthy life.

Troubadour
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm talking about maybe once a day putting one piece of chocolate in your mouth and enjoying the smooth sweetness as it melts on your tongue

PM, have you ever tried writing erotic fiction? I'd read it. :rofl:

I have a pretty good diet (I'm a vegetarian and eat wholegrain stuff, lots of fruit, drink lots of water & herbal tea etc.) but I do have a weakness for chocolate. I'm lucky that I get a lot of exercise with my current job (a lot of fast walking), but I really need to get back to the gym. I've dropped a dress size in recent months though, so I know I'm on the right track.

It can be done - it's the motivation that's the hardest part!

luvthelighthouse
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
PM, that is so funny you mentioned Prevention. I've been on their website and today printed out a bunch of recipes. I think they have a walking plan I want to do too... in addition to my other exercising.

I start every single day with bran flakes and Kashi Go lean cereal with skim milk. I eat fruit for mid morning snack or almonds. I try to eat Brillia pasta plus if I'm eating pasta and most breads I eat are with whole grain.

I still eat my red meats, but I do so in moderation. I love fish, as a matter of fact I had talapia, broccoli and baked beans for dinner last night. Yum!

Prettymaid
05-22-2009, 04:07 PM
PM, have you ever tried writing erotic fiction? I'd read it. :rofl:

Troub - :rofl::weep:You have me laughing so hard I'm crying! I was just trying to emphasize the importance of really tasting and savoring your food! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
05-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Okay - when Soda mentioned the Livin' Right video, I was thinking to myself - well, Glenn had the incentive of all those nice young ladies to coax him into the gym.

One in particular I guess Dreamer!! :wink:

Now, I don't like exercise either, but if Mr. Frey wants to start visiting the gym again, I maybe could be persuaded. :partytime:

I think I could be persuaded to as well.

After having my second child I went back to work fulltime for one more year before Laura started school. It was the busiest and toughest year of my life and all my food was of the 'fast' and 'quick fix' variety. A typical day meant 2 breakfasts, 3 chocolate bars, 2 bags of crisps and fast food dinner, not to mention lunch! needless to say the weight piled on to the point that some of me students (seriously) wanted to know was Number 3 on the way. That summer I too control of my diet and exercise, and lost 21 lbs in 3 months. For the most part it has stayed off but when I indulge too much the 'baby blob' starts to come back and I take it as a warning....

My biggest incentive was for the London gig and I went as low as 125lbs, but I've regained a bit since then. Lets see what I can do in 5 weeks 4 days.......:wink:

Mind you its VERY easy to exercise to a lot of Glenn :heart:s music!!

Peekaboo
05-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Reading all of your Livin' Right habits are inspiring me to get back into a healthy lifestyle. I've strayed away from it during the last few months, using my working nights as an excuse. I have been good about keeping off the 40 lbs that I lost a year and a half ago. Losing that weight was due to a change in eating habits after I had a small bowel obstruction in Aug. 2007. I've still been able to keep off what I lost. One thing I definitely need to do is quit smoking. I quit for 2 months towards the end of last year but I started up again around Thanksgiving. I want to quit completely but I haven't been able to bring myself to try again.

luvthelighthouse
05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Peek, good luck on giving up on the smoking. I understand it's a hard habit to break. One of my girlfriends quit twice, both times were when she was pregnant. After nine months of stopping, she started up after the kids were born. Now she's trying to stop again. Congrats on keeping off 40 lbs. That's really great!

Troub, just curious, what made you become a vegetarian? For some reason, whenever I find out someone is vegetarian or vegan I have so many questions. Why, have you always been, what made you change, etc I know several vegetarians, so it's not like it's new to me, but I do find it interesting.

Peekaboo
05-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks LTL, it was really hard in the beginning when I quit the first time so I can only guess that it'll be even harder when i quit a second time.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I love a good steak. Before Lou came to the States, she warned me that she was a vegetarian and I was kinda freaking out because I had never been around anyone that was a vegetarian. I was thinking it was going to be really difficult to be able to find some good meals for her but we were both able to eat really well while she was here.

LTL, you're not alone in your curiosity. I think nearly every one of my family and friends that Lou met (including myself) asked her why, how, and when regarding her being a vegetarian. Hopefully she won't mind repeating it again.

Troubadour
05-23-2009, 11:01 AM
I became a vegetarian when I was 9. I'd been thinking about it for a few weeks (I can't remember exactly why. I think it was a culmination of things - an article I'd read in a teen magazine, a TV show that showed a pig being killed) and I just started to feel that I really didn't want to eat meat anymore. I told my mum and she was really supportive, although I think she was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't get enough vitamins and protein. Nobody else in my family is a vegetarian, and I didn't have any veggie friends at that point - it was just something I decided by myself, and I haven't wanted to eat meat since.

Now, in supermarkets in the UK, there are whole sections of veggie food. We have a great brand called Cauldron, and I also love Quorn and Linda McCartney stuff. I eat veggie sausages, burgers, tofu, Quorn mince, fillets... There's so much to choose from, so there's no danger of me starving!

I can't really explain any more about why I decided to become a vegetarian... except to say that my mum has said she always thought I would be, because when I was 5, I saw her cutting up a fish in the kitchen and refused to eat fish from then on. I remember that, and so I guess I just don't like the idea of eating animals. I don't stand on any real moral ground, I don't try and convert anybody - I just can't imagine myself eating meat again.

05-23-2009, 01:49 PM
That really is an interesting story, troub. It's funny, but I love fish and seafood even more than meat. I can envision giving up beef or pork, but please NEVER take away my salmon, shrimp, or oysters! :)

And speaking of giving stuff up - PB, I started smoking in college, but I quit cold turkey for good in 1984. Quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did, but once I did it, I have not ever smoked a cigarette since. I always said that I would never quit smoking again - so the only way to ensure that is to never start again. It takes a lot of strength, support, and discipline, but it can be done if you decide that you really want to do it. Good luck to you!

melrose
05-23-2009, 05:26 PM
First off, Congratulations to all of you that are taking off the pounds! Keep up the good work, and I hope you all reach your goals. Hopefully you can find some good ideas or suggestions from this discussion topic.

I've always had to work very hard to keep my weight where I like it, but with a lot of determination I've been able to stay healthy. Within the last year and a half I have dropped some major weight and have changed most of my lifestyle. It really all started with a rerun of Oprah! It was one of the episodes where Dr. Oz was on and he challenged people to give up soda for 1 week. Well, I was drinking obscene amounts of diet cola at the time, and I figured I would give it a shot. I wasn't very confident, but I did it, I dropped 7 pounds just cutting that out of my life. After that I was on a roll. I started cutting out all kinds of fast food (another 10 pounds) and junk food, I got a gym membership and started to walk around my neighborhood.

This last Tuesday I was in a car accident that has caused me back and neck problems, so I'll be out of my normal habits for a while. I'm able to go to the gym, but I can only handle short periods of 15 minutes or so. Luckily though, my doctors say that because I'm still young and will be going through therapy, that I will fully recover and be up and at it again in no time. Here's hoping I can control my chocolate addiction until then :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
05-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Such interesting stories!

Jess good luck with giving up the smoking. I think one really needs to vow that they will NEVER smoke again, which is very difficult to envisage. Troub, thats a great story about becoming a vegetarian. How sensitive you were. My Chris is starting to relate chicken, lamb and fish as meats with the cute little animals he sees as well and I wouldn't be surprised if he follows the same way. Still if its his decision I'll support him.

Mel I hope you weren't seriously injured and that you DO indeed recover fully. BTW I think chocolate is a very good cure for shock, and most of us in accidents suffer from shock. Delayed shock can last quite a while.:wink:

To everyone embarking on or resuming diets or exercise routines the best of luck. I hope they go well and that you get the results you desire.

luvthelighthouse
05-23-2009, 11:10 PM
I think I missed congratultaing Koala on her weight loss, but I do think it's great.

Mel, I'm sorry to hear of the accident. I hope your recovery process is quick. Good job on your weight loss too.

Seems like so many people are trying to get back on track and I think it's great. We should all be so lucky to live long, healthy lifestyles.

Troub, thanks for sharing. I understand where you are coming from... it makes sense. However, I can not eat a veggie burger... I find them so gross... probably as gross as you find eating a hamburger. :hilarious: Good for you though, you are living a good and healthy lifestyle.

Koala
05-24-2009, 08:25 AM
It is a really interesting topic! :thumbsup:

PB, good luck with giving up the smoking, Melrose, I hope you get better soon.
I have also eaten for a while no meat, but after a few months I have eaten meat again, however, now I eat very few meat.

sodascouts
05-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Mel, so sorry to hear about your accident! Take it easy and don't overdo it!

I think the hardest thing for me to give up re: meat would be chicken. Other than hamburgers, tacos, and steak fajitas, I don't eat a lot of beef. I dislike fish unless it's breaded and/or fried (of course lol). Ham sandwiches and breakfast sausage, or sausage on pizza, are the only times I eat pork.

TimothyBFan
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Just now getting to this thread. Interesting stories and congrats to all of you who have lost weight and quit smoking (1 habit I am very glad I never started! I hear it's hell giving it up).

I used to roller coaster my weight all the time. Lose it, gain it. The last time I lost 50 lbs. and kept it off for over 2 years and then it gradually started coming back on. I told myself then "I will never diet again!" It was to much of a letdown when it came back on. I have always been a plus size gal and will never be skinny--I have learned to accept that and am finally happy with my body, which in turn makes me more confident in myself! I'm a lucky girl that my husband also is happy with my body ;) and in the 23 years we have been together has been with me thru it all and never once has ever criticized me because of my weight. I will never let myself get out of hand but I also know I was never meant to be a size 5, and can live with that. I'm very active (have to be with these kids) and try to eat decent but I love a good steak or fried chicken also. I don't drink or smoke so I figure what the heck!

On the veggie thing--I don't know if I have ever mentioned this before or not, despite their parents being huge meat eaters, both our children are vegetarian! Dillon is now almost 19 and decided at the age of 12 that he was no longer going to eat meat. Larry & I said ok and then laughed because we thought there was no way. That boy could put away a burger in 10 seconds flat! After about 6 months of it we figured he might stick with it and his sister who was 10 at the time decided she was also going to do it. We had people criticizing us because we were letting our children do that and it couldn't be healthy for kids that age. Let me tell you, my kids were healthier within a few months than they ever were, more active and happy! They both tried the vegan thing but gave it up (Dillon did it for 2 years and Katie only lasted a few month). Said they couldn't live without cheese and ice cream. The hardest part at first was what to buy and make for them. Now it's easy and since they are 18 & 16 they pretty much fend for themselves as far as meals. I just make sure we have the stuff in the house and they make it themselves.

Lou--Good for you and I'm very glad to hear your Mom was supportive of you when you decided to do that. I know from experience it wasn't easy for her and she probably took some flack from others. Good for her for letting you stay with it.

Stars
05-26-2009, 11:44 AM
TBF, my son is vegetarian also, in spite of the fact that hubby and I both eat chicken and fish. He is 23 years old now, and became vegetarian at age 7. About 4 or 5 years ago, he decided to become vegan and he hasn't looked back. I know he is a lot healthier, even though he always looks way too thin for me! You know mothers!:)

luvthelighthouse
06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
During one of my walks today, I had to jog across the street to get out of the way of a car. I thought to myself, why not just keep jogging for the next quarter mile. OMG!!! My freaking legs are now burning! How in the world do people run for sport? I'm telling you, it would be so much easier to sit back and eat bon bons and do nothing... but I fear what old age will be like, so I must "Do Something". ;)

MikeA
06-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Old age ain't bad. Lortab and Depends. The alternatives are not worthy of discussion. I'm playing golf in 10 minutes. Going to do my best to shoot my age (like THAT'S going to happen!)

eaglesvet
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Mike, hope you had a good game and a great Father's Day!

MikeA
06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Had a great round...HOT and MUGGY but a lot of fun. Kids came over late in the afternoon and Miles showed me how drums were supposed to be played. They gave me the Clapton/Winwood DVD and another that I'm anxious to watch...Closing of the Filmore West with the Airplane, Dead, Hot Tuna, Canned Heat and a lot of others that performed there.

TimothyBFan
06-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Mike-anxious to hear what you think of the Clapton/Winwood dvd. They are 2 of my favorites and I love the song Dirty City!

Peekaboo
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
There's both good and bad in this. The good: on my 3 days off from work last week, I didn't have one cigarette. I had a pack on me but I just never felt the urge to light one up. I really didn't think about it at all. The bad: At work i've gotten pretty used to having a cigarette on all of my breaks. There are some nights when I get more than 5 breaks a night. As soon as I got back to work last night after my days off, I pulled out a cigerette and smoked away like I never even stopped for those 3 days. It's such a habit for me to smoke on my breaks at work. It doesn't make it any easier that many of my coworkers/friends are smokers too. I'm gonna do this, i'm going to quit. I just need to quit saying I will and DO IT!!!:brickwall:

Prettymaid
06-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Jess, from all I've heard, that must be one of the most difficult things to do. I'm over here pulling for you. I know you are strong enough to do it - you just have to find a substitute 'habit' during breaks. And believe me, your smoking co-workers will be so envious of you if they see that you've quit!

luvthelighthouse
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Old habits die hard, that's for sure. I think once you hit that right mind set you can do it. I talk all the time about getting back my once very nice figure...but until I have those moments when I mean it, it's so hard to stay on track. I've been constant though, as I know I have to keep working at it.

I've been after my guy for years so quit smoking, but until he makes up "his" mind, there's not much I can do. He doesn't want to quit, that's the issue there! You however want to quit, so you will. You can do it and it will happen, I'm sure of that. You'll get your moment and make a choice to never do it again. I always think of my step-father... back in I think it was 1980, he said when cigarettes go to a dollar a pack he would quit. On that Halloween they went to a dollar, that was his last pack and he quit cold turkey... it's been 29 years... so yes, different things motivate us differently. =)

MikeA
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't help thinking about that movie "Airplane" (a spoof on "Airport" and I think I have the names right). The Air Traffic Controller Supervisor (and I can't remember his name) was chain smoking as the "situation" became more and more desperate. He was trying to quit smoking and his line was a serious "It's a bad time to quit smoking." It goes on from there to it being a bad time to quit drinking. Then to quit snorting coke. Then I think to quitting mainlining. <LOL>

Well, that's the way I've always been with smokes. I just don't have the will power. But by golly, I'll stand in your corner any day for ANYONE who has the habit and is trying to break it!

It interrupts your life...in all sorts of ways; not just by a very painfull death! Think of the long airplane trips you can't take. Long meetings you can't sit through and concentrate productively. Irritations to your friends who are non-smokers. The city-wide bans on smoking. The employers who have instituted non-smoking restrictions, sometimes covering the entire campus from which you work!

I would have long ago lost my job and career had I not been able to work from home.

EagleLady
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I did Good, I thought about grabbing an Ice Cream Sandwich for a snack, but instead I put it back and got a plate of seedless grapes instead.

Prettymaid
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Good for you EL. We can have an ice cream sandwich - only in moderation. (Don't eat the whole box in the same week!) :wink:

EagleLady
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
We buy two boxes a week, and some Ice Cream cones. Needless to say, We have very big sweet teeth

Peekaboo
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the support on my quitting smoking. During the last week, I've tried to not smoke while at home or in the car and it's been working out okay. I'm gonna try to keep that up. Now I've just gotta try to not smoke so much while at work. I'm gonna try to not have a cigarette during every break. I'm working on it...slowly. It's tough but I'm at least trying.

GlennLover
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
It's tough but I'm at least trying

Keep On Tryin', Peek! Congratulations on your accomplishments so far :thumbsup:.

Prettymaid
07-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm working on it...slowly. It's tough but I'm at least trying.

Peek, just the fact that you're trying says alot about you! :thumbsup:

07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Keep On Tryin', Peek. As I said earlier, it ain't easy, but you can do it if you are really ready to quit!

TimothyBFan
07-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Peek--- Good job. Keep up the good work. I've lived thru several of my loved ones quitting and know it is not an easy habit to kick. Sounds like you are really on the right track!!!

Koala
07-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Peek, IŽam sure you can giving up the smoking! Good Luck!:)

It's hard but you can do this! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the support on my quitting smoking. During the last week, I've tried to not smoke while at home or in the car and it's been working out okay. I'm gonna try to keep that up. Now I've just gotta try to not smoke so much while at work. I'm gonna try to not have a cigarette during every break. I'm working on it...slowly. It's tough but I'm at least trying.

Well you are doing your best Peek and it'll get better as you go on. Now here's an idea I have heard of. Its hardest to quit the cigarettes that you have incorporated as part of breaks etc because they tend to form a comfortable part of your daily or work routine. So as well as quitting the ciggie, try to change what you would normally do on such a break. Ie don't sit thinking 'I'd love a cigarette now.....' or 'I used to smoke at this time before I gave them up' Find a different distraction, such as taking a 10 minute stroll or if you want to rest, treat yourself to a good magazine or a book. As soon as you stop associating breaktime with cigarettes the craving for one will stop too. Just an idea. Good luck with your continued success.
Another thing that people do is they put the money they save through NOT buying cigarettes into a fund and treat themselves to something nice as a motivational reward...... I'm sure the Eagles or Don will play near you again soon.....and wouldn't those hot seats be nice :wink: ?

Peekaboo
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
:grouphug: Thanks everybody. Your support on this means a lot. I really appreciate it. I've already completely quit smoking in my car. Although I stopped that about 3 weeks ago, it helps that I just got a new car and don't want to ruin the new car smell. GA, I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind about putting back ciggie money to treat myself in the future. I definitely want to see the guys again when they come back to the states. Maybe I'll be smoke free by the time they start touring here again.

EagleLady
08-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I am starting the Slim fast plan, a Shake or Snack bar for lunch, and dinner the same.

Prettymaid
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Good Luck, EL. Do you know how long you're going to do it for?

EagleLady
08-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Probably stay on it, since I need to be in better health, but of course, my portions will probably get smaller for dinner.

Prettymaid
08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Let us know how it works for you.

Wildthyme
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Well I am making an effort at livin' right. I have managed to lose some weight over the last year but in the last few months its come to a screeching halt. Even though I walk almost 3 miles a day with my dog and live on a very restricted diet I have lost almost nothing in the last few months and I am getting a bit frustrated. I am not giving up yet but I sure hope I can break this plateau soon!

Prettymaid
03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Good luck Cami. Maybe the fact that your seeing THE EAGLES will give you some added incentive! ;-)

Wildthyme
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Good luck Cami. Maybe the fact that your seeing THE EAGLES will give you some added incentive! ;-)

BIG incentive. I am keeping my little Eagles concert circuit in April and May in mind all the time! :lol:

Troubadour
03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Go get 'em, Cami! :thumbsup:

EagleLady
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I bought a Wii Fit Plus today So Maybe I can start getting on track.

Troubadour
03-02-2011, 09:28 PM
That's great, EL! I've never had a go on the Wii, but it looks like a lot of fun. Good luck with it!

Koala
03-03-2011, 02:27 AM
EL, have fun with your wii!

Prettymaid
03-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, I was wondering if this thread would be revived!

Way to go EL. I love my Wii Fit Plus. Don't forget to make little Mii's that look like your favorite rock stars. You'll get so much more pleasure when you cycle past Joe Walsh! :lol:

Annabel
03-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Hmmm think I should check out DD1's Wii fit plus if this is available. ;) I've only used it once since she got it for Christmas. :shh: (Mind you she hasn't used it much either :rolleyes: )

EagleLady
03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Guys! So far I've burned 34 calories.

jdubfan
03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I've been going through a couple seed catalogs while waiting for the snow to go away. I'm going to plant bush cucumbers, 4 different types of tomatoes, green peppers, cantalope and hopefully some sweet corn. I have asparagus that I planted last year that I should be able to use this spring, but the deer like it too. They jump the fence for it. I also have problems getting to actually eat some of the corn because i can't figure out a way to keep raccoons away. I thought this would be a good way to get some exercise, get fresh organic produce and cut down the ever-growing grocery bill.

Brooke
03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Have fun on your Wii, EL!

jdf, good luck with your garden. People around here sometimes fence their gardens with electric fencing to keep the coons away. You have to run a couple wires close to the ground.

I have a problem with squirrels eating my sweet corn. They watch it and start eating it on the stalks even before it is ready. We're lucky to get any that is really ready before they get it. :enraged: The shot gun has helped a little!

Troubadour
07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm starting the Couch To 5K running plan today. It's designed to get anyone running for 30 minutes (or 5K) in 9 weeks. Whenever I've run before, I've always got a bit fed-up because I felt discouraged and like I had no real goals or idea of my progress. It's easy to think you should be able to run further, get discouraged and quit. This is a very gradual plan, though, and it looks great. I actually did the first workout "unofficially" on Friday as a sort of trial, and loved it. So I'll be doing that again this afternoon. It's the same workout three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday for me) in a walk/jog pattern, and the jogging intervals get longer each week.

I'm just printing out the plan now to keep on my wall so I can cross off the workouts as I go. Wish me luck! Here (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)'s the link. If anyone fancies trying it too, let me know. We can be virtual buddies! I'll still update here with my progress anyway, more to keep me on track and accountable than anything else.

GlennLover
07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm just printing out the plan now to keep on my wall so I can cross off the workouts as I go. Wish me luck!

Good luck, Troub! You go girl!

Henley Honey
07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
We can be virtual buddies! I'll still update here with my progress anyway, more to keep me on track and accountable than anything else.

I'm in!! I walk or ride a bike everyday but can always use a challenge to keep me motivated -- and someone to bit#h to if I get shin splints!!

I'll start tomorrow. Really. I swear.

Koala
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
http://smilies-smilies.de/smilies/sport_smilies/d055.gifGood Luck! http://smilies-smilies.de/smilies/sport_smilies/d055.gif

luvthelighthouse
07-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I tried the C25K plan last year and failed. I had the worst shin splits I could hardly walk! Then earlier this year I started running on the treadmill and it helped so much. (a lot less impact than running on concrete!)

I have't run in about 3 wks and I need to get back into it! Thanks for the reminder, I may have to start the program again, but on the threadmill instead.

Good luck, I hope you have much success with the program. I know many who have thrived on it!

Troubadour
07-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks, guys. Koala, love the running emoticon!

I've just completed my first official workout. It was actually a little harder than my "test run" on Friday - my legs felt stiffer and like they weighed an extra 10lbs each - but I pushed through it. I think it was down to a few factors, namely a lack of sleep (as I did a night shift last night) and the heat. It's really, really warm here today.

Still, I did it, and my last jogging interval was actually the best - I felt really strong and my legs seemed to move a lot easier than they had done for the previous 20 minutes! I guess that's the key. Pushing through and being diligent with it. It will be a good exercise for me, not just physically, but also in terms of perseverance and organisation. I am determined to follow this plan EXACTLY - no excuses!

HH - thrilled to hear you're on board, too! As I said, I'm doing it Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but as long as you do it on non-consecutive days, three times a week, you can do it anytime! I'll update this thread after each workout to give a little account of how it went and how I'm feeling... I know the support will help a lot. I'll be looking out for your updates, too. Good luck! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Good luck, guys!

rcknalwys
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I wish you all much success in your C2K. I know someone who is getting great results on her quest. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Henley Honey
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks, guys. Koala, love the running emoticon!

I've just completed my first official workout. It was actually a little harder than my "test run" on Friday - my legs felt stiffer and like they weighed an extra 10lbs each - but I pushed through it. I think it was down to a few factors, namely a lack of sleep (as I did a night shift last night) and the heat. It's really, really warm here today.

Still, I did it, and my last jogging interval was actually the best - I felt really strong and my legs seemed to move a lot easier than they had done for the previous 20 minutes! I guess that's the key. Pushing through and being diligent with it. It will be a good exercise for me, not just physically, but also in terms of perseverance and organisation. I am determined to follow this plan EXACTLY - no excuses!

HH - thrilled to hear you're on board, too! As I said, I'm doing it Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but as long as you do it on non-consecutive days, three times a week, you can do it anytime! I'll update this thread after each workout to give a little account of how it went and how I'm feeling... I know the support will help a lot. I'll be looking out for your updates, too. Good luck! :thumbsup:

I'm starting tomorrow morning. I try & get my workout done before work -- so usually around 7 AM -- so if I'm still alive at 9 AM I'll check in. I'll give updates on how I'm doing as well but I'll be on opposite days -- which is fine. Remember -- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate :soda:-- especially since its so warm there today. Drink lots of water -- even if you don't feel thirsty.

Here are some of my fav exercise songs -- they really keep me moving.
Jackson Browne -- Running on Empty
Bryan Adams -- gonna run to you
Eagles -- How Long, LIFTFL, Out of control, Already Gone, James Dean, Get Over it.
Bob Seger -- Her Strut, Katmandu, Rock & Roll Never Forgets.
Glenn Frey -- Love in 21st Century, Smugglers Blues, Heat is on
Eric Clapton -- After Midnight, Forever man, Bad Love

Good luck to you too!!!

Anybody else jumping in??

Troubadour
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Great list of running songs, HH! Led Zeppelin II always gets me going.

I drink a lot of water every day, so thankfully it's not such a big struggle for me to make myself drink more. I can't understand how some people barely drink water - I feel awful if I don't!

Looking forward to hearing how Workout One goes... And yes, if anyone else is interested, please join us! Or if anyone, like ltl, has experience of the Couch to 5K plan (or running in general) and wants to offer hints, tips and moral support, it would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Henley Honey
07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
:thud:

Henley Honey
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I made it!! About halfway through I was thinking . . . . How could 60 seconds seem so short and 90 seconds seem SOOOO Long?

I did well, though. No side stiches, no shortness of breath. My legs did feel tired and heavy around 17 minutes in but I knew I was in the home stretch so I pushed through. Music made ALL the difference.

I wasn't going for speed, just time -- so that probably helped.
I felt like I could have done more, but didn't want to screw up the formula, so I stuck to the Couch to 5K Plan.

Day one. Done. :thumbsup:

Troubadour
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Excellent! Well done. :thumbsup:

You're right - the whole idea is not to push for speed, just to pace yourself and stick to the time intervals. (If you can't hold a conversation, you're going too fast apparently!) Also it's best to stick to the plan, even if you feel like you could do more. It's tempting to rush ahead and over-exert yourself, but doing it gradually will be better in the long run (excuse the two-pronged pun...)

I'll update tomorrow after my second workout. Hoping my legs feel less like dead weight this time!

Troubadour
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, I completed my second workout today. I didn't push it too much because I felt some twinges in my right leg. I'm sure it's just the new impact and getting used to running on concrete... Still, I completed the workout. I'm hoping Friday will be a little easier!

Good luck tomorrow, HH!

EaglesFanatic
07-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking of joining in too. I looked at the link you gave, Troub, and it looks like a good program. I need to start doing some conditioning before my Fall softball season starts, so this might be a good option for me, along with weightlifting and strength training.

Troubadour
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Yay! That's great. Having other people along for the ride is definitely a boost, at least for me. :thumbsup:

Henley Honey
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, I completed my second workout today. I didn't push it too much because I felt some twinges in my right leg. I'm sure it's just the new impact and getting used to running on concrete... Still, I completed the workout. I'm hoping Friday will be a little easier!

Good luck tomorrow, HH!

Thanks! Maybe we should give you special dispensation for Friday's workout -- isn't it the day after James Taylor? I'm certainly going to be looking for dispensation after Glenn in Niagara Falls!! The only place I'll be running is away from security !!! :hilarious:

Be careful with your leg. If its your knee, stop as soon as you feel pain. Just walk.

Glad you're joining in, EF. The more the merrier! Let us know how you're doing. Any hints or advise is welcomed.

Lisa
07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm a jogger.
If you don't think jogging is right for you, walking is a good choice.

To teach myself to stay on a regimen, when I was younger, and starting out, I kept a journal of each day's (or week's) exercise: (miles jogged, for example) (or the amount of time and type of exercise written in a box for that day); and I also wrote down a list of the calories I'd consumed.

Henley Honey
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
The journal sounds like a great idea. I'll probably start out logging time rather than distance, but I think it will keep me on track and will help me determine a pattern for when I'm struggling as opposed to sailing through the workout. Thanks for the tip!

Henley Honey
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Day Two. Whew.
I didn't start out feeling too strong, so I did an extra few minutes on the warm up. That seemed to do the trick, cause I felt better almost immediately after the first few pace changes and remained strong till the end. Three words of advice -- Good Sports Bra. I'll be shopping today! :hilarious:

Troubadour
07-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Ha, yeah - definitely a necessity! ;)

I think I'm going to follow your lead with the extra warm-up. I might even throw some butt-kicks in there. My legs have felt ''colder'' and stiffer than they should. Hopefully it will do the trick.

sodascouts
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I was hesitant to put this here because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stick with it... but I am also on a plan. Not this running one, but a simple one of diet and exercise (an hour of fitness-walking every day). I've been on it for a month and have only cheated once, but still I've only lost 10 pounds. At this rate I won't get to my goal weight by the end of the summer. :(

Peekaboo
07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Wow!!! Just caught up on the last few pages. Well done, ladies!!

I've got to find something to get me motivated to start exercising. I've lost 13 pounds over the last month and a half but I think a lot of that was stress related. I haven't noticed a change but I'm happy about the 13 lbs and want to keep adding to that number. I plan to make some changes but actually doing it and keeping up with it is the problem for me. We'll see how things go.

sodascouts
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, that's one thing that bums me out. I worked so hard this past month and yet I don't see a change when I look in the mirror.

But good luck Peek! Hopefully we can both keep it up.

Peekaboo
07-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, i guess I should've explained better. I lost the 13 without doing a single thing. Like I said, I think it's been all of the stress that I've put on myself over the past few months. So I guess I haven't exactly been "Livin' Right" but I really want to start doing just that. But thanks, Nancy. I hope I can jump start a new and healthy me.

Now that I think about it, I haven't been drinking alcohol much the past few months. Not that I was a bad drinker or anything but I would have some beers and drinks with friends about once a week or every other week but I haven't been going out much lately so I guess that could've helped with my little weight loss.

Lisa
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I read through the program on the link--Couch to 5K--and I think its a good start with a clearly defined method to go from walking to jogging to running. If you want to end up jogging--by the end of the program, you do end up a jogger! You can start without an activity plan and you get a structured route.

Wildthyme
07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Congrats to those who are working so hard to get fit. I need to get back on track. I gained weight after my surgery last summer (the doctor warned me I probably would and she was right, darn it!). I really need to start getting some more exercise. I spend 4-8 hours a day online looking for work and filling out job apps and I am spending way too much time on my butt and way too little time moving so that has most certainly contributed to the problem. Even though I only eat one or two small meals a day hasn't helped--I swear I have the world's slowest metabolism! :lol:

Koala
07-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Good luck to all!

I'm currently sporting more than usual, of course I have on vacation more time. This means that I make at least 3 hours per day sport (Cycling not every day, walking, no jogging because my knees, and then exercises for abdominal and back).But I did not lose weight however after all, my waist size is a little less!

EaglesKiwi
07-15-2011, 05:52 AM
I was hesitant to put this here because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stick with it... but I am also on a plan. Not this running one, but a simple one of diet and exercise (an hour of fitness-walking every day). I've been on it for a month and have only cheated once, but still I've only lost 10 pounds. At this rate I won't get to my goal weight by the end of the summer. :(

That's 10 pounds in the right direction! Hang in there :)

EaglesKiwi
07-15-2011, 05:53 AM
[quote=Peekaboo;154273]Well, i guess I should've explained better. I lost the 13 without doing a single thing. Like I said, I think it's been all of the stress that I've put on myself over the past few months. So I guess I haven't exactly been "Livin' Right" but I really want to start doing just that. But thanks, Nancy. I hope I can jump start a new and healthy me.
quote]
Bailey will help too!

Henley Honey
07-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Good luck to all who are trying to get a little more fit!
I don't think it matters what plan you follow, as long as you can make it work for you so that it fits smoothly into your lifestyle.
I too always look for fast results and then get discouraged if they don't come fast enough but patience and perserverance always pay off.
Passing on dessert never hurts either!!

sodascouts
07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes - I'm going to a party tonight and I've already added up how many drinks I can have and still say within acceptable caloric intake levels! lol

Henley Honey
07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
The trick is to stay sober enough so you can still count !!

tequila girl
07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh Nancy - Life's too short, forget the calorific intake - just enjoy!:)

Lisa
07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Summer often gives people a good chance to get back on track before the cold weather seasons return.

Henley Honey
07-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Day Three. Wow. That was a struggle. :cry: Maybe cause I didn't sleep well and am feeling sluggish but that was not easy. I think -- had I not had the moral support from you guys, I would have bailed on the workout -- but I kept going. I'll rest up tomorrow and hit the bricks again on Monday.

Troubadour
07-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry you struggled a bit today, HH, but don't let it get you down! Feel proud of yourself that you pushed through the workout, despite not feeling up to par. It's the difficult ones that count the most.

I did my third workout of the week today, as it was impossible to fit it in yesterday! It's worked out fine though, because I still have tomorrow to rest before starting the second week on Monday. My stamina felt better, but I'm a bit worried about my right leg... My thigh was hurting again during the jogging sections and I honestly wasn't sure whether to give up half way through. But I really didn't want to do that so I carried on at a gentle pace, and I completed the whole thing. I didn't want to push it too hard, but I also think that it is just a niggle/getting used to the impact and I didn't want to quit... I ran on grass for the second part of my workout, which I think may have helped a bit.

We'll see how my leg is on Monday... Fingers crossed it will feel better. I feel good that I have completed the first week diligently, despite the difficulties. We deserve a pat on the back, HH! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
07-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Be careful, Troub! Don't hurt yourself. My ex-boyfriend is a runner and whenever he feels pain in a leg, he immediately stops and makes sure it's nothing serious before continuing.

About last night - I stayed sober enough to count, but not sober enough to care! I let loose and yes, I went over. I'm making up for it today.

Koala
07-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Troub, be careful, not exaggerate!

HH, sorry to hear day 3 was a struggle! Hope the next days will be better again!

Troubadour
07-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I was very gentle on it... but I will be careful. I'll let you know how it is on Monday.

Lisa
07-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree.

Even though I jog, I also went from a diet that included (younger) two moderate meals per day (lunch and supper)--to (older) a breakfast of one blended piece of fruit (blended in a blender with water; instead of a juice--it is pulpy)--and one moderate meal a day (late lunch--no supper).

(That routine allows someone enough calories for some kind of treat).

I guess people find what works best for them over the years. I wouldn't want to influence anyone about their lifestyle choices.

Henley Honey
07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
We'll see how my leg is on Monday... Fingers crossed it will feel better. I feel good that I have completed the first week diligently, despite the difficulties. We deserve a pat on the back, HH! :thumbsup:

I think you're right, Troub.
We do deserve a pat on the back. :angel:
Keep up the good work but, seriously, if you have pain STOP IMMEDIATELY. It is so not worth pushing yourself if the result will be a tear or a strain in your muscle or ligament that will affect everything else you do in your busy day. Getting out there and making the effort is half the battle. Don't hurt yourself in the process. You'll be back on the couch with a box of kleenex in one hand and a box of cookies in the other while you recouperate (and your cat, too). In the words of a very wise man, Take it Easy!!!

Good for you too, Soda. I'm going to use that line . . .
"Sober enough to count, not sober enough to care"
Says it all. Glad you let loose. Save some for Niagara Falls!

Wow, Lisa. I'm glad that works for you but it doesn't seem like enough for me. I'd be starving by dinnertime and probably end up overeating.
I'm not a candy person, though, so I can't compare. Once a month, maybe some chocolate -- but thats about it.

Henley Honey
07-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Started second week yesterday. I was well rested and that must have helped but I also concentrated more on my breathing.
I was not experiencing shortness of breath -- I could still hold a conversation during the workout -- but I kept breathing slow & steady in through my nose & out my mouth -- and the whole workout just seemed "smoother" if that makes sense.

sodascouts
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm in Houston now visiting my parents and I'm having a bit of a setback - they keep making my favorite foods for me! Pie, roast beef, homemade bread, big breakfasts with sausage, eggs, muffins... and that's just in the past 36 hours! I guess I'll just have to exercise more, which isn't that easy here either! It's raining outside - good for drought-stricken Houston, bad for my walking.

Henley Honey
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Pie? Mmmmmm. Have a slice for me and I'll jog a half mile for you.

Henley Honey
07-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Just finished week two of the Couch to 3K. It's been so hot I've been using the treadmill rather than exercising outside. Gotta say -- its definitely easier on the knees. I'll have to think about continuing inside next week as well or venturing back outside, because the temp is not expected to go below 95 and that is waaaay too hot for me!!

sodascouts
07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I've been exercising more to make up for eating more, and now I think I might have overdone it. My ankle is hurting and there is a sore spot under my armpit - I'm not even sure what that is. It kind of feels like a little lump under the skin... weird. I'm trying to figure out how to keep up my exercising without hurting myself. The good news is I've lost seven more pounds, even if you can't tell it by looking at me.

Troubadour
07-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Congrats on the weight loss, Nanc! That's great. You WILL start to notice it soon enough. I'm betting other people can notice it already. Go careful on that ankle, though. Hope the lump is nothing serious... Hopefully it's just rubbing, but please get it checked out if it sticks around or changes at all.

I haven't had a great week, to be honest. Combined with working nights, a weird pain in my stomach/back that I am going to get checked out if it carries on, and my leg, I haven't been as diligent with the exercises as I should have been. I don't think there's anything really wrong with my leg because it doesn't bother me all the time... I think it's just the impact when I'm running. I don't know whether to pick up Week 2 on Monday, or whether to start at Week 1 again. I completed Week 1, but I don't know whether, after a crap week, I'll be ready for Week 2. Any thoughts?

HH, the treadmill sounds like a good idea, although one of the main reasons I want to start running is to get out and about, you know? It's more of a pain to get to the gym for me, than to step outside my door and just run! But I've heard that they are a lot better in terms of impact. Apparently if you set the treadmill to a 1% incline, it mimicks running on concrete.

Henley Honey
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't think there's anything really wrong with my leg because it doesn't bother me all the time... I think it's just the impact when I'm running. I don't know whether to pick up Week 2 on Monday, or whether to start at Week 1 again. I completed Week 1, but I don't know whether, after a crap week, I'll be ready for Week 2. Any thoughts?

HH, the treadmill sounds like a good idea, although one of the main reasons I want to start running is to get out and about, you know? It's more of a pain to get to the gym for me, than to step outside my door and just run! But I've heard that they are a lot better in terms of impact. Apparently if you set the treadmill to a 1% incline, it mimicks running on concrete.

I think you should walk for a week and not run or jog at all. See how your leg feels after that. If you're feeling OK, then I'd start week one over and see how that goes. It's not like you have to train for a marathon, so take it slow and easy. There's really no rush. Listen to what your body is telling you. Sounds like it's saying "Ouch".

I know its easier to just step out the door and run rather than try and get to the gym but if running is not an option right now how about biking? You'd get to be outdoors but with much less trauma to your legs and back. A second-hand, gently-used bicycle is much less expensive than knee surgery! Keep me posted on how you're feeling!

Henley Honey
07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to keep up my exercising without hurting myself. The good news is I've lost seven more pounds, even if you can't tell it by looking at me.

Seven pounds lost while eating pie, homemade bread and big breakfasts in Houston? Good for you! I'm jealous.

Is there a pool available to you? You can swim or "water walk" with little or no risk of injuring your ankle further.

If not, give it a few days rest with no walking. You can make up for the lost exercise in Niagara Falls!

sodascouts
08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I tried on an outfit today that I hadn't worn since 2009 and it actually fit! In fact, it fits better now than it did the last time I wore it, because I wore that sucker until I couldn't zip it up anymore! lol

I'm still overweight and have a ways to go before I get to my goal, but I'm 20 pounds less overweight than I was in May, and I'm starting to see a difference... FINALLY!

I just have to be careful not to backslide. I'm beginning to realize I'll never be able to eat with abandon like I used to, even after I get to my goal. :(

But on special occasions like Niagara Falls... I will still just have fun and not worry about calories at all!

Prettymaid
08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
That is fantastic Nancy! Good for you! Fitting into a piece of clothing that one hasn't been able to get into for awhile is great incentive. And I agree with you - diet and excercise has to become a permanant lifestyle, which is hard. I tend to do better in the colder months it seems - at least as far as excercise goes. And just watching my portions helps me maintain a doable diet, as I try to eat fairly healthy foods.

Koala
08-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Cool, congrats Soda!

Brooke
08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Soda, way to go! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Henley Honey
08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I tried on an outfit today that I hadn't worn since 2009 and it actually fit! In fact, it fits better now than it did the last time I wore it, because I wore that sucker until I couldn't zip it up anymore! lol

But on special occasions like Niagara Falls... I will still just have fun and not worry about calories at all!

I know from personal experience how hard it is to lose weight so good for you!!! Nothing like sliding into an old size!!
I'm not gonna count calories in Niagara Falls either, but I've rented a bike for a few hours on Wednesday. I can see the sights and still get in a little exercise!

sodascouts
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the support, guys! I never thought I'd be able to keep at it for over two months (I started the first week of June). Now I feel like maybe I could do this until I get all the way down and then maintain it!

Troubadour
08-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Congrats, Nancy! You look fantastic - you deserve a big pat on the back. I bet it feels great! :thumbsup:

I've been doing a lot of exercise lately. I'm trying to mix it up - Jillian Michaels DVDs, the gym, walking, free weights and playing tennis/badminton/going swimming with friends. I kind of stopped the C25K programme because my leg was really hurting and nagging every time I went out, but I've started doing it on the treadmill at the gym, and it's A LOT better; a lot less impact. I set the treadmill to a 1% incline, though, which apparently mimics running outdoors. Anyway, I'm on Week 2 and I'm getting on well. I do the workout on the treadmill to start my session, which gets me nice and warm, and then I do my strength training and then generally the cross-trainer. Hopefully once I have completed the C25K programme on the treadmill, I will find it easier to run outside on concrete.

sodascouts
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm just now trying to get back into the groove - last week was my week of "Livin' Wrong" lol. But hey, I'll try to make up for it this week!

Glad you're finding a way to do your thing without hurting yourself, Troub.

Lisa
08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Good luck with your regime--it will be worth all of the time and effort.

EaglesKiwi
08-29-2011, 04:34 AM
I have just started cycling again (haven't had a bike for YEARS but finally bought one a few weeks ago). Cycled down to our local farmers market - my husband offered to drive down and pick me up, but I felt so good after the downhill ride to get there that I thought I would try cycling home.

Well, I made it. Admittedly there were a couple of times I had to just stop and used the time to have a drink (can't reach for a bottle and drink while I'm cycling, I have NO sense of balance. Good excuse for stopping though!).

Hopefully next time it will be easier.

Troubadour
08-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Well done, EK! I'd love a bike but I'm in a flat and I literally can't think of anywhere I could actually keep it! :(

sodascouts
09-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Well, I started trying to run and got up to where I could run (or more accurately jog) for about 20 minutes. However, I seem to have hurt my knee in the process! Now exercising at all makes it hurt. Could put a monkeywrench in my weight loss program. :(

So far I've lost 30 pounds and people are finally beginning to notice and compliment me. It's nice!

luvthelighthouse
09-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Keep up the great work Nancy! That's awesome! I just jogged on the treadmill tonight, because running on pavement destroys my legs!

I hope you heal up quickly so you can continue your exercise plan.

Koala
09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Congrats for the lost, Soda, hope the pain in the knee will get better soon!

EaglesKiwi
09-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Awesome work, Soda!

I am doing pilates once a week at work, it's challenging but feels good. Finding all sorts of muscles I didn't really know I had... and they're all hurting! :hilarious: But only during the exercise, and I feel great the next day. Stronger and taller! :rofl:

Brooke
09-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Soda, that's fantastic but I hope your knee gets better soon. Let it rest a few days and then take it slow working back up to where you were.

My workout is mostly just walking. I jog some in spurts. Our gravel road is hilly so I job on the flat spots!

Henley Honey
09-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Keep up the good work, Soda -- but don't overdo!!
30 lbs. lost is fantastic! Hope I can still recognize you in AC!! :hilarious:
I'll just look for the woman with the big smile and a Cosmo in her hand!!

Glennsallnighter
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Way to go Soda! Well done and keep up the good work!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Congrats, Soda! Have you or will you go to a doctor? Do you have a place where you can go swimming? That might be a good thing to do while healing up. As long as you don't limp and slip on wet tiles (yes, that is the voice of experience there).

Troubadour
09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
30lbs is amazing, Nancy! Congratulations!

That's great about pilates, EK. I have just started a six-week yoga course for beginners. I had my first session last week, and it was great - I'm really looking forward to my next class on Wednesday.

I am still doing the C25K program on the treadmill. I do it at the start of my gym routine, and I find that structure works well for me. I also have been following a vegan diet lately (most of you know I have been a vegetarian since the age of nine.) I have lost 11lbs in just a couple of weeks. I would strongly recommend that everyone reads Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live". I know a lot of people will feel like it's "not for them", but it's not a fad diet - it is an incredibly well-researched nutritional guide. It blows away a lot of misconceptions about food, meat and dairy products in particular, and basically just advocates the eating of the "super foods" - fruit, veg, nuts and beans/legumes. My diet beforehand wasn't a million miles away from this, so I haven't found the transition too difficult, but cutting out the saturated fat has made a big difference. You can get all the nutrients you need from plant-based foods. The book is primarily about optimal health and disease prevention - although obviously fast, sustained weight loss is a welcome side effect! The idea is that this kind of plant-based diet reverts us to a more natural state, and that these foods will help you to reach your ideal weight. The great thing is, you can eat as much as you want. You can't overeat on veg! I never find that I am hungry. And I never have to calorie count. It's so simple, but it sort of feels like a revelation, after being subjected to all the crap and numerous fad diets that are out there, you know? It's stuff I already sort of knew, made crystal clear.

Anyway - I hope no-one takes this as a lecture! I just wanted to share my recent experiences and perhaps introduce a few more people to Dr. Fuhrman's book. I have seen amazing results already, and I feel great - no tiredness, sickness, weakness that you often experience when "dieting"! The most important thing is to eat more veg, more fruit and more beans and pulses. Even if you implement that idea 20%, you will still reap big benefits. As an example, my mum has been inspired by my results and has started to follow these principles loosely. (She still has some chicken and fish now and then, crackers and a glass of wine!) She has lost 8lbs in a little over a week. It's fast, but it's HEALTHY. This is a woman who struggled for ages with weight loss, and didn't feel particularly "unhealthy" beforehand.

I wish I could tell everyone not to bother with fad diets and money-making schemes where you have to eat tiny portions of processed stuff... It's not sustainable and it will make you miserable. The food that will help you lose weight and be healthy comes right out of the ground. And you can eat as much of it as you want.

Prettymaid
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
The idea is that this kind of plant-based diet reverts us to a more natural state, and that these foods will help you to reach your ideal weight.

I'm all for being in a natural state! I'm thinking about getting Eat to Live from the library next time I go. You should get a commission Lou. Great endorsement! And congratulaions to you and everyone here who are taking the steps to good health and fitness.

Glennhoney
09-21-2011, 06:43 PM
WOW SODA....WAY TO GO.....:thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Congrats, Soda! Have you or will you go to a doctor? Do you have a place where you can go swimming? That might be a good thing to do while healing up. As long as you don't limp and slip on wet tiles (yes, that is the voice of experience there).

I haven't gone to a doctor for my knee but it's getting better. I just have to be gentle. ;) There are places to swim but I usually exercise late at night after I get home from work when those places are closed. So, I've started to run barefoot indoors on carpet. That seems to help.

Lou, that diet definitely sounds healthy! It's not really my cup of tea, but if a person can commit to that, more power to them!

Finally, thanks for the congrats, guys! Let's just hope I can keep this up - There's still more weight to lose!

Prettymaid
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Hubby had recently started training for next year's Champaign, IL half-marathon. He was a runner in high school and always enjoyed it. However this past week he has had to quit his training due to knee problems. He's so bummed out and I feel so bad for him. He's going to give it a good rest and hopefully start again, but I heard him talking to his brother on the phone yesterday saying he probably won't be able to do it.

TimothyBFan
09-23-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't come here often but do try to look in occasionally. Glad I did!! I admit, I'm not big into it. I'm a plus size gal, have been a bigger share of my life and have tried many a diet, only to turn around and pack any lbs back on a couple years later. I LOVE food (my Mom was a wonderful southern cook and Dad always told us to live to eat, not eat to live). That being said, I have a physical every year and everything is always good. They rate it on a scale of 1-4, 4 being very good. I've always been a 4. In fact, last year the cholesterol even went down a bit more. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I drink gallons of water and I love my fruits and veggies also. I think it helps. Doctor says I am living proof that you can be overweight and healthy. Not bad for 48 years of age I guess.

But onto the congrats to those who really deserve it!! WOW!!

First--PM---hope hubby can get back on track. What a goal! Good luck to him.

Soda--Amazing!! I knew the last picture of you I saw looked like you were shedding big time!! Good for you and congrats!!!

Troub-- Wish I could live that lifestyle but I love my chicken way toooooo much. :hilarious: My children have been vegetarians for years, in fact, my daughter is a vegan and won't go anywhere close to dairy products either. Dillon started it when he was 13 (now 21) and we didn't think there was a chance of sticking to it. The boy loved his burgers. But has done it for years. Shortly after he started, Katie decided she'd try it at the age of 11. I had a lot of argument and discussions with parents that told me I shouldn't let my kids do that. It was bad for them, etc.... Bullsh*t!!! They are a couple of the healthiest people I know and have been for years. When they were younger, I watched to make sure they were getting all the vitamins, etc... they needed. Some of the foods they make are wonderful and it's hard to believe it's vegetarian. They look great. Dillon has always been a big guy, tall but heavyset also, even after he was a vegetarian for several years. But he wasn't into exercising at the time. A couple years ago when he went away to school, it all changed. He went from 315 (he didn't look like he was carrying that much weight) to what he weighs now, 195. He's biking miles every day, jogs, ice skates and eats well. His college town has lots of restaurants around town for vegetarians and on campus there are even a couple of vegan dining halls. Just wish I could live their lifestyle. D*mn my southern parents and their deep fry everything foods!! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I am very curious about the vegetarian diet. Lou occasionally describes what she had for a meal (on facebook) and she makes it sound delicious! Where would someone begin to find recipes and prepared grocery store items? How do you put a meal together? Don't you get bored eating the same things always? Maybe Lou can address this and Willie also, since both of your kids do it.

Troubadour
09-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Here are some links to sites featuring vegetarian recipes and info, Cathy:

BBC (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/)

Vegetarian Society (https://www.vegsoc.org/)

AllRecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/everyday-cooking/vegetarian/main.aspx)

It's second nature to me now, having been a veggie for so long, but the misconceptions I often hear about vegetarian food "tasting like cardboard" and being boring are way off! There are literally thousands of different ingredients you can use, and hundreds of dishes you can make. Obviously vegetables are a big part of the diet - don't just stick with cabbage and carrots. Experiment with butternut squash (great in a curry!), aubergine (eggplant), leeks, pak choi, spinach, swede, parsnips... You can make delicious veggie side dishes such as minted peas, by just making a simple white creamy sauce, seasoned with black pepper and fresh mint, and mixing cooked peas in with it. They're really yummy. Mushrooms are essential, too: I always have closed cup or chestnut mushrooms in my fridge, as well as a pack of dried porcini or mixed wild mushrooms in the cupboard.

You'll need to stock up on herbs. Fresh coriander (for curries), parsley, and basil (for Italian/tomato dishes) are essential, but most other herbs you can buy dried in little pots and keep for months. Oregano for Italian food, turmeric, bay leaves, ginger, cinnamon, mustard seeds, cumin, paprika, chilli powder for curries, and chives are great in mashed potato. They really help to flavour food - I couldn't cook without them.

You can get great meat-style substitutes, like veggie sausages (I like Linda McCartney or Cauldron), Quorn/soya mince, veggie bean burgers (easy to make from scratch using canned kidney beans, potato, etc and forming patties) and tofu. Linda McCartney's deep country pies are delicious, though I'm not sure if you get them in the States. Quorn mince is so versatile. I love making a veggie chilli with it. I start by getting a big pot and frying some onion and garlic. Then I generally add the Quorn mince (just pour a little water in with it and it will break up and start to cook like actual mince), then chillies, peas, often broad beans and chopped carrots, along with a can of chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and a veggie stock cube/gravy granules. Add some salt, pepper and herbs like oregano and basil. And let it simmer. The longer the better! Tomato paste helps to get it to a lovely thick consistency. Remember to taste as you go along, and add a little more salt/pepper/herbs/chilli if you need it. This is the part of cooking I love most! This chilli tastes great with some grated cheddar cheese either mixed in while simmering or sprinkled on top when serving.

Same with curries... I tend to just throw whatever I have into a curry. Once you know the basics, it's easy. Start frying off mustard seeds until they pop and bounce, add cumin seeds, turmeric and a couple of bay leaves, cloves and cardamom pods and stir for a few minutes. A lovely Indian-scented sticky sauce will start to form on the bottom of the pan. Then add thickly sliced onion and garlic, followed by a can of chickpeas and chopped tomatoes, along with peas and cubes of butternut squash or potato. Simmer and keep adding spices and taste as you go along. Remember coriander! Again, tomato paste/purée will help to thicken the sauce. Cook some Basmati rice separately. (For anyone who has trouble with getting fluffy rice where the grains are all separated: measure out the cups of rice and pour into a dry saucepan. Then add double the amount in cups of water. DON'T STIR THE RICE! Just leave it settled on the bottom of the pan. Add a little oil and salt and put it on the heat. It will work! I promise. All you should need to do is fluff up the rice with a fork once the water has evaporated.) A tablespoon of natural yoghurt is a great finishing touch. You can always add some coconut milk while the curry is simmering, too.

Those were just off the top of my head, but I will be happy to write more later or answer any more questions! I know it must seem like a huge change for meat-eaters but really, there is so much you can do with a veggie diet. Just remember: experiment, use as many different types of veg as you can, eat as many pulses, lentils, beans and legumes as you like, and use plenty of herbs! Of course, on a veggie (not vegan) diet, you can still have all kinds of cheese, and you can make some delicious pasta dishes, bruschettas, etc! I love to make a simple Arrabbiatta style pasta, which is basically just onion, garlic, leeks, peas, (veg variable!) chopped tomatoes, a little balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sugar, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, black pepper, chillies, tomato paste, oregano and basil. Mix the cooked penne pasta in with the sauce and tear up some mozzarella. Top with more fresh basil and sprinkle with parmesan. Delicious! You can also use a similar recipe (with the balsamic) to make a bruschetta topping. It works REALLY well. Serve with a nice Italian side salad and it's all good.

Risottos are another favourite. And stuffed peppers (just cut the top off and roast in the oven) then fill with spicy cous cous and veg, or rice. I can post recipes later if you like!

Prettymaid
09-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Thank you Troub. Your posts are so inspiring and you make your recipes sound delicious! Hubby and I have been eating less meat for a couple of years, enjoying thin crust vegee pizza, bean dishes and pasta recipes, for example, but I don't know if I'll be able to go 'all the way'. Yesterday we went to a sandwich/soup place for lunch and I had a delicious vegee sandwich and some vegee chili. I also bought some ingredients this week to make some new recipes. We'll see how it goes!

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Can't add much more than what Lou already has. My kids do a lot of rice dishes, especially Indian food and curry. Katie also does a lot of Tofu in dishes, the vegetarian sausage is one of her faves. Lots of the Boca and Morning Star brands, but she has to watch because some of them contain eggs and she won't eat that being a vegan. Pasta dishes are a big one for my kids also. Both of them love Hummus and I swear Katie eats black beans with cilantro lime rice almost daily. It's her favorite thing. She made a vegan chili Saturday that was delicious!!! You can pretty much take any recipe and make it vegetarian by substituting.

I buy lots and lots of fruits and veggies for me & hubby anyways, but when both of my kids are home...look out. I average about $50-$80 a week in the produce department---that's no lie either!

BTW---here is a recipe for Vegan chocolate cake. It is the only chocolate cake I make anymore. It's the best, most moist cake I've ever eaten.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup cold water
2 t. pure vanilla extract
2 T. vinegar

Preheat over to 375. mix dry ingredients. Mix liquid ingredients except vinegar and whisk into dry ingredients. When batter is smooth, add vinegar and stir quickly until it is evenly distrbuted. Pour into 8 inch square pan and bake 25-30 minutes. Cool.

Frosting

1 cup sugar
6 T. corn starch
4 T. cocoa
1/2 t. salt
2 T. vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 t. vanilla

Mix, sugar, cornstarch, salt & cocoa in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the the water. Heat over medium until it gets thick, stirring constantly and starts to boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, don't boil to long or it will set like taffy. Remove from heat and stir in oil and vanilla. Cool and spread on cooled cake.

Brooke
09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I've always been curious about what vegans or vegetarians eat, too. Everything you all have talked about sounds very good. I don't think I could handle it though. I love my meat, especially beef and chicken and also my dairy. And I'm quite sure my hubby would divorce me! :lol:

But more power to those of you that can!

Lisa
09-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Diet and discipline. (Not popular words when you are a young person). Sometimes waiting 5 to 6 hours between meals helps discipline work itself into a liveable routine. Substituting a piece of fruit for a snack or a dessert can help change habits, too.

You could drink plain water.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
I read an article a few years ago and it quoted a reputable source (though I can't remember which one) as saying that most Americans confuse hunger and thirst. Most of us don't drink enough and when we feel thirsty (not cottonmouth) we eat instead of drink. It said that when you feel hungry and know you have no reason to, drink something first and see if that solves the problem. So when I get the 'munchies' between 8pm and bedtime, that's what I do and it usually works.

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Update on my knee: it's fine! Running barefoot on carpet, and thus softening the impact, worked! I've been able to keep up with my regimen and keep on track with my weight loss. The only problem: now my feet are starting to hurt because of the lack of cushioning provided by a shoe.

Why can't this be easier???? (Just a rhetorical question, lol)

Brooke
09-27-2011, 02:32 PM
No pain, no gain Soda! (or in this case-loss :lol: )

That's a bummer tho! I'm finding the older I get the more pains I get. I walk a lot and one foot starts hurting in the ball of my foot about half way through my walk. When I get home and take off my shoe it's ok. One shoulder also has a pain in it part time. I think I'm slowly falling apart the older I get. Aging sucks.

I sliced off the very tip of my little finger the other day and have been dealing with that for a week. It's healing, but slowly. :nervous:

Lisa
09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
It sounds like it's time for those Nike (or some other brand of preference in athletic footwear) cushioned running shoes--athletic trainers that are padded and conform to your feet protect your feet from all that impact.

About the finger--don't panic. If you take really good care of it--within the next two (or at most, three) years you'll have it back to normal. If it is a minor injury, the digit will recover sooner. The nerves can take longer to go back to working the same way as before--but they do grow back in and work again.

Brooke
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks Lisa. I do have good Nike shoes, but I'm going to try to find a pad that you put in them to help with this. (Checked it out on the net)

The finger is much better and I guess I didn't get a nerve because it is doing much better. I got something called new skin and you paint it on the wound like fingernail polish. It has really helped protect it and now I can get by without a band-aid. :yay: I have learned my lesson and will be much more careful with a knife or slicer.

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear you're healing up. That must have been scary!

sodascouts
10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I move from one ailment to the next! My feet don't hurt anymore, but one of my toes keeps cracking.

More good news about my weight though: After today's weigh-in, I was thrilled to discover that I've now lost 40 pounds! Ten pounds in just three weeks! I don't know quite how that happened as I haven't done anything differently and I usually only lose about 2 pounds a week, but it's cool with me!

I know this will inevitably slow down, especially since I'm going to shows three weekends in a row and I don't count calories when I'm "having fun." Let's just say I doubt I'll be 10 pounds thinner at the end of October!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
So happy for you, Soda!! Really! Well, except for the ailments. You know they say exercising is good for you...go figure. But I'm happy for you on the rest!

10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Congrats, Nancy! Wow - 40 ibs. is very impressive - you deserve quite a few attagirls for that!

Since we don't have an attagirl emoticon, I guess I'll pick this one ...

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Koala
10-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Congrats, Soda,I'm happy for you!http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Sport/smilie_sp_149.gif

EaglesKiwi
10-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Awesome work, Soda!

Brooke
10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Way to go Soda! That's great! :thumbsup:

Wildthyme
10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Congrats Soda - you are doing great!

Wish I could say the same thing but I have returned to my holiday job at Harry and David and they keep us supplied with a steady stream of chocolate and goodies in the breakroom and while I try not to indulge too much I always manage to gain a few pounds during the season. Moose Munch is my kryptonite. :rofl:

Troubadour
10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
40lbs is amazing, Nancy! I bet you feel fantastic. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Great job Nancy! That's about how much I'd like to lose!

Glennsallnighter
10-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Well Done Soda! I know how hard it is to lose, and then keep off the weight. You have done a brilliant job. Have a brilliant time at the gigs!

sodascouts
11-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Well, I hurt my foot a couple weeks ago, and with all my traveling and partying as well, my weight loss has slowed down to just a pound a week. Since my last post, I've only lost five pounds. However, I still hit a milestone today: I was able to fit into a pair of pants that I haven't worn since 2007! Just a couple more dress sizes down and I'll be at a point where I'm actually happy with my weight, which I haven't been since 2004. Imagine that!

Prettymaid
11-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Hope I can see you sometime!

sodascouts
11-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I hope you can, too. You never knew me before I started putting on weight in 2005, which is when I started working on my dissertation and spent all of my time in front of a computer, munching on junk food as I tried to find the perfect turns of phrases to discuss the portrayal of gender roles in Renaissance-era romances. I know it's hard to imagine, but ten years ago, I was actually thin!

Prettymaid
11-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Well, you weren't heavy by any stretch, but as I said in an above post, I need to lose about the same amount of weight as you are working on losing. Hearing your success story makes me more determined!

Koala
11-08-2011, 02:48 AM
Congrats Saoda, that is really a milestone!

Brooke
11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Way to go Soda! That's great you are sticking with it! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Well, I haven't posted in here for a while because I've hit what they call a "plateau." My foot is almost totally healed up, though, so after the holidays I'm hoping to be back full-steam and start losing again. At least I haven't gained back anything!

Henley Honey
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Well thank God you didn't post that you lost 12 pounds between Thanksgiving and now or else I'd have to give you a big fat:steviesmack:
The best I can hope for is to maintain while still enjoying all that the Holidays have to bring.

I think that's why resolutions are made. . . . . . . Because they're after the Holidays!!!!!

sodascouts
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
OK, so the new year has started and it's time to get back on track!

Talking to my sister with the eating disorder made me realize, though, that I shouldn't get out of control. Now that I'm at the high end of "average," I should only try to lose a pound a week instead of two pounds a week.

Henley Honey
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Healthy meals, moderation and exercise should help you reach that goal. Don't be surprised if you lose 2 - 3 lbs the first week without really trying. After that, one pound a week sounds like a good plan to me. Slow & steady wins the race! Good luck!!

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with HH. Theres been a lot in the media the last week about diets and losing weight and generally 'livin right'. But the general consensus is to do it all in moderation.
Change just a few eating habits, like make a rule not to eat beyond 7pm, or only to drink alcohol once a week, or substitute hi cal snacks such as Nachos and cheese for low cal ones such as fruit or rice cakes. As well as increasing the amount of physical exercise one takes. Again recommendations are half an hour of exercise 5 days a week. But it could be split into 2 15 minute sessions.

The message is certainly that a small amount of weight lost per week over a long period of time is much better tha a fad diet. Simply said the normal body cannot sustain this type of diet and will rebel sooner or later (ie you'll stop and put it all back on again)

I have a wedding on 22 March and my son's First Holy Communion on 12 May. Perfect excuses to try to lose even a pound a week! Lets see how it goes!

Soda, I hope your sister is working through her disorder ok and that things are going well for her.

sodascouts
01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
She is trying and she no longer weighs 95 pounds, but she still isn't eating enough calories for her height (5 feet 10 inches). The charts say she should weigh a minimum of 130 pounds to be healthy, but she regards that as "fat." She tells me she weighs 110 pounds now, but I could see her ribs, tailbone, and spine when she did yoga. Her husband told me that if she hadn't gotten treatment, she would have been dead within months. I was stunned at the severity of it - I knew she was too thin and had a problem, but I didn't realize she almost died! I pray to God she can get over this.

01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Me too, Nanc. I wish her a healthy recovery, of course. It really brings home the seriousness of these issues when you have someone close to you dealing with it.

Glennsallnighter
01-09-2012, 02:14 PM
She is trying and she no longer weighs 95 pounds, but she still isn't eating enough calories for her height (5 feet 10 inches). The charts say she should weigh a minimum of 130 pounds to be healthy, but she regards that as "fat." She tells me she weighs 110 pounds now, but I could see her ribs, tailbone, and spine when she did yoga. Her husband told me that if she hadn't gotten treatment, she would have been dead within months. I was stunned at the severity of it - I knew she was too thin and had a problem, but I didn't realize she almost died! I pray to God she can get over this.

Well we'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers Nancy. She's making progress in the right direction and has s wonderful family to support her. Of course eating disorders are complex and she will I'm sure need psychological help too. I really wish her and her family the best with this.

Lisa
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I would think that it would take a little time to recover,--maybe some months to a year, or a year and a half--gradual improvement could make a difference over time! Congratulations!

Umm--you don't like "instant oatmeal?"--it comes in different flavor pouches and you just add hot water--it's soothing, and it doesn't put on extra layers too fast.
"Quaker" has a flavorful product that is pre-measured in calories. The number of calories are on the side of the box.
(Two of the lowest calorie pouches are "Apple-Cinnamon," or "Brown-Sugar"--there are at least six different varieties--I don't remember the names of the other packaged recipes available).
Not everyone likes it, though.

Brooke
01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Soda, I'm glad to hear your sister is doing better. 95 pounds and 5'10" is definitely very slim. I hope she can continue gaining to what she needs to be to be healthy.

Mrs Frey
01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Good grief! Why have I not noticed this thread before?

Well, as I've mentioned in another thread, I've put myself on a strict diet and exercise regime since the beginning of the year. I have plenty of motivation since I have 10 weeks of shows at GrandWest Casino here in Goodwood, Cape Town, coming up at the beginning of April, so I must look my best.

I've put on about 5kg over the last 7 years or so, although I still wear the same size. My clothes just fit tighter now. In between I put on some weight, especially a few months before I attended the Eagles' concert at the O2 Arena in London (some of you might remember my mentioning it - it's a while ago now - 2008!), and I wasn't fitting into my jeans. It was time to make a plan, and within 2 and a half months, my jeans fit me again. I cycled, pushed weights and most of all, I cut out the junk food. Due to depression that I'd experienced for months before then, I turned to junk food and ate excessively.

I've been maintaining my weight more or less since then, but I haven't been near as fit as I was 7 years ago. I need to get back to that point in my life when I was able to cycle 70km in 3 hours once a week, and 13km 3 times a week, as well as general exercise and weight training.

It's tough when one is an entertainer - there is so much pressure on one to look attractive and sexy. I remember how self-conscious I felt during my last stint at the casino, when we performed there for 7 weeks, because the two dancers who performed in the show used the same dressing room as me. They look absolutely perfect - and I felt so huge compared to them. Okay, granted, they have petite bone structures and I am a larger girl, but I still felt - and still feel - FAT. Now I'm doing something about it, because I'm generally very self-conscious, and feeling so inadequate makes it even worse.

Wish me luck, everyone: by April you'll be "looking at a brand new me!" :D

Henley Honey
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Good Luck, MF!! I find that I do much better if I plan and/or prepare my meals ahead of time. Instead of just "grabbing something" that might not be the best choice, I plan ahead so it's not an issue. Let us know how you're doing!

Brooke
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Good luck from me, too, MF! You can do it!

Glennsallnighter
01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Well good luck MF. I'm sure like everything you do you will give this 100%. But let me say here that I met MF in London for that gig in 2008 (OMG I cannot believe it's 4 years ago nearly now). And she looked fabulous!

sodascouts
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, MF! Best of luck!

On another note, when I decided to lose weight, I gave up alcohol except for special occasions. It helped, but I have to admit I missed having a drink on the weekend. Just recently, a couple of my friends and I tried out a new line called "skinnygirl cocktails" which are supposed to be low calorie alternatives. I've tried both the sangria and the margarita. The sangria was pretty good but the margarita definitely needs help. Maybe if I added some lime juice or sweetener but as it is... not so great. I haven't tried the cosmo yet since it wasn't in stock when I went to the store, but I plan to as soon as I find it.

Is it livin' right to have low-calorie alcohol? That's debatable, lol, but it's definitely less fattening!

Henley Honey
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
It is totally Livin right -- unless your system can't handle alcohol and you need to abstain totally. Moderation is key! Skinny girl or full-boat cocktail, less is more!!

Glennsallnighter
01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Any step taken to help yourself eat or drink more healthily while you try to lose weight would be livin right in my book anyway!

Midnight_Flyer
01-20-2012, 10:39 AM
i've started going to the gym :D the other day i did 30 mins non stop on an exercise bike then 10 mins on a rowing machine :D and i'm going to keep it up :thumbsup:

Brooke
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Keep up the good work everyone! Exercise is good for everyone, even if you don't need to lose weight. :thumbsup:

Midnight_Flyer
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM
it makes you feel good about yourself :)

Topkat
01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
This is my first time in this thread. I guess I'm feeling guilty about not going to the gym today. I joined a gym in November because I really feel I need to lose about 10-15 pounds & during the winter I can get very lazy about it. My last visit was Wed. & I literally had to force myself to go.

I find it hard to stay motivated. I pulled something in my hip about 2 weeks ago & couldn't go to the gym for about a week, & then it was really hard to get back into it. I can make excuses & blow it off.

I did lose 5 pounds, but it's slow going. I have a really hard time losing weight because I used to be very skinny & could eat anything, but as I get older, that is not the case....I gained about 10 pounds over the past 5 years & I am not happy... Any advice on how to stay motivated??? I get bored with it very easily...

Brooke
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm about the same as you TK. I used to be able to eat anything I wanted to. Now I need to lose 5-10 pounds to be happy with myself.

I have a treadmill at home and just have to drag myself to it. I do try to manage to get in 3 days a week on it though. I should do more, but finding the time is hard. On nice days I go outside for a walk, but I can't take the cold in the winter. I have a s n l that walks at least 3 miles every day no matter what the weather. I don't know how she does it.

Topkat
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, I made it to the gym today. I find that once I'm there, I'm OK, but it's just the thought of going that gets to me. When I'm in the gym, I usually do 1/2 hour or more of weights & then 1/2 hr. on the eliptical. The winter gets me unmotivated to go, because I have to bundle up, put boots on & then get undressed there. It's just a pain in the butt. We have a gym in my building, but it is being renovated right now, which will take 6 months, which is why I had to join the gym a few blocks away. I guess I was spoiled that I only had to get on the elevator to go to the gym upstairs. I was just afraid that if I didn't work out for 6 months, I would gain weight. It sucks.... I try to go 3 times a week, but I struggle with it. I can't walk outside, it's just way to cold for me.

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Glenn once said "The hardest part about working out is showing up." So true!

Henley Honey
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Glenn once said "The hardest part about working out is showing up." So true!

I think he said the same thing about songwriting!!

Topkat
01-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Yeah, well Glenn's got that one right!

sodascouts
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Well guys, I weighed today and I've hit a milestone. Since last June when I started doing this, I've lost 50 pounds!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Good for you, Soda!! Seriously!

Perfect Little Sister
01-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Good for you for sticking to your healthier lifestyle!!

Topkat
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
WOW, Soda, I'm impressed. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's fantastic.
Maybe that will help encourage me to stay on track....I only want to lose 10 pounds, but it's still hard for me..

Brooke
01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Congrats Soda! That is fantastic! :yay:

Windeagle
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Well guys, I weighed today and I've hit a milestone. Since last June when I started doing this, I've lost 50 pounds!

That's awesome! Way to go, Soda!

sodascouts
01-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys! It kind of blows my mind even to type it, lol.

My weight loss is going much more slowly now than it was when I first started, but I hope to be at my goal weight by the summer.

Lisa
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Congratulations! That's devotion! Every day gets easier after the last half year or more.

Glennhoney
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
WOW Soda....that is quite the accomplishment.:yay:..any tips for the rest of us??

sodascouts
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't know if this will work for everyone - and I doubt it's the best way to go about it - but I just focus on calories.

I knew that in order to lose two pounds a week I would have to have a weekly caloric deficit of 7000. Your caloric deficit is the difference between your Basic Metabolic Rate (what you burn every day from being at rest) plus the calories you burn through exercise, minus the calories you eat.

So, each day, I tried to ensure I had a caloric deficit of 1000 below my BMR, which at the time was about 2200 (now it's 1800). I used SparkPeople.com to tabulate how many calories I was eating versus how many I was burning off through exercise. I became somewhat obsessive about it, perhaps too much so, but it worked for me.

Now, with the lower BMR that comes with weighing less, it's no longer healthy for me to have a 1000 calorie deficit per day (a woman should eat at least 1200 calories a day and not overdo it on exercise either). So, at this point, I'm just trying to lose a pound a week, which means a 500 calorie deficit per day on average (some days less, some days more, but at the end of the week it should be 3500 calories in order for a pound to be lost per week).

So I run the numbers every day, and as I said, it's been working.

Folks tell me I should also be worried about my intake of carbs, fat, sugar, etc... if I try to worry about all of that, though, I'll get overwhelmed. It's much more effective for me to focus on calories, even if that isn't the very best way.

01-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Awesome, Nancy.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Henley Honey
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
You go, girl!!! See what a little patience and a lot of determination can do! Keep up the good work. :cheers:

Glennsallnighter
01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Well done Nancy! Way to go!

I think you're right. What you are doing obviously works for you!

sodascouts
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
You go, girl!!! See what a little patience and a lot of determination can do! Keep up the good work. :cheers:

If I wanna wear that revealing top you got me, I better lose even more weight! ;)

And thanks for the encouragement, guys. It helps keep me honest - I don't want to gain anything back after getting all these congrats!

Lisa
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
You'll surely reach your goal within the year, if you stay with your plan!

Topkat
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Took my first ZUMBA class yesterday...It was so much fun. It was an hour class. I thought I was gonna collapse, but I highly recommend it...Lots of fun even though it's tough. I'm hoping I burned lots of calories.
Do try it if you have a chance!

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
ZUMBA is fun! I suggest you get a monitor of some sort so you can keep track of how many calories you burn.

EaglesKiwi
02-13-2012, 04:38 AM
It's great you've found something you enjoy, TK!

And Soda - WOW. You go girl! That is a great result and I know you've put in so much effort to get there. Now we just need to get you caught up on sleep... (nag, nag, nag).

Mrs Frey
02-13-2012, 07:11 AM
It looks like I've missed quite a bit on this thread again! Oh well, I get there eventually!

Firstly, congratulations, Soda, on losing 50 pounds! WOW! That's great going. If counting calories is working for you, keep it up!

And thank you to all you ladies who wished me luck the last time I posted here - I don't know how I managed to miss that. :headscratch: Thanks also, GA, for the kind words about how I looked in London - it wasn't my best, but it wasn't bad!

It is now nearly a month and a half since I re-started my exercise regimen and more disciplined diet. I've lost 2kg so far (how many pounds is that?), and I want to lose another 4kg. I'm a little frustrated at the moment at what I deem to be slow progress, but I'm getting plenty of encouragement from friends who say I look pretty good, and have definitely made progress, so it can't be all bad. I've been cycling between 13 and 16 kilometres 4 times a week, and I add 20 minutes of general exercise (including weight training) after each cycling session. I love the bike, but I do get stressed sometimes in the traffic. I try and ride as late as possible (it's still light here after 8pm during summer), but I still get traffic, unfortunately. Oh well, I just have to be careful, that's all.

I'm disciplined regarding my diet, although I cheat here and there with a small chocolate or some ice cream. And I don't do that every day. I don't want to be too strict, otherwise I'm going to become miserable. So far I'm feeling good, and am motivated to keep going. This needs to be a part of my life, and I need to keep it up now. There are only two months left before I start in the show at the casino, so I cannot stop now!

Topkat
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
ZUMBA is fun! I suggest you get a monitor of some sort so you can keep track of how many calories you burn.

I did think about that, but I have heard they aren't really that accurate. Also I feel like it will be one more "gadget" that I have to carry around.

Mrs Frey
02-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Topkat, the best is to monitor your progress by how your clothes fit on you after a certain amount of time (say, a month), and how your fitness improves, I feel.

EaglesKiwi
02-15-2012, 03:06 AM
Topkat, the best is to monitor your progress by how your clothes fit on you after a certain amount of time (say, a month), and how your fitness improves, I feel.
And your energy levels - you'll be really tired for the first little while, but soon the exercise will be giving you more energy.

Mrs Frey
02-15-2012, 06:19 AM
And your energy levels - you'll be really tired for the first little while, but soon the exercise will be giving you more energy.

This is true, EK. I found that when I started cycling again after a long layoff, that climbing those hills took the stuffing out of me. However, now that I've been at it for a month and a half, I'm climbing those hills with much more energy now, and riding further too!

Prettymaid
02-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Congratulations everyone on the never ending struggle to keep fit! I'm especially proud of you Soda for losing 50 pounds! Here's what you posted on the first page of this thread.

I know things need to change, but I have so much stress in my life right now that I'm putting it off until things calm down. I wish I had Glenn's attitude about it, but frankly I loathe "Livin' Right." I loathe exercise, I hate giving up yummy foods. I have a huge appetite and I hate being hungry. In short, "Livin' Right" makes me miserable. I figure I'll endure the suffering that is "Living' Right" when I have fewer other problems.

Based on this, I never thought you'd do it! It just goes to show you anybody can do anything with the right attitude.

sodascouts
02-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I never thought I could do it either.... it still kind of blows my mind.

I'll be real. I still don't enjoy exercising and I still love to eat delicious foods. However, now, when I look at something high-calorie, I calculate how much time I will have to spend exercising to work it off. If it's not worth it, I pass. If I decide it is worth it, I eat it. Simple as that.

I don't feel guilty about indulging as long as I work it off later. That kind of attitude is very freeing because I don't feel limited to eating lettuce and tofu and "diet" foods all the time. I can eat whatever I want, as long as I'm willing to exercise it off. That's my philosophy. There are many who would say I should be thinking about other things besides calories, but as I said before, it works for me.

Speaking of exercising, I decided to run outside the day before yesterday for the first time in a long time. I had been running in place in my apartment, but I'd never run outside before for more than five minutes, tops. On Thursday, I ran - or more accurately, jogged - for 30 minutes non-stop! Yeah, I was red-faced, gasping, and sore by the end of it, but I was still pretty darn proud of myself.

Lisa
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
That is super-great!

Running Shoes are where everything is right now! They have to be long enough (with space at the ends when running--toes not near any seams when foot is extended in a running stride, by about over a thumb width & under a thumb and a half width amount of space when running; not just in the shoe store when you check the ends(!))-- to fit and protect your feet. And supportive--the foot has to hold at the mid-upper and catch by the end of the lace run--toe-wards--so that you don't stub your feet when you run and damage them. (The size has to be the correct fit for the biggest foot, if your feet are not the same size).

The down economy has the shoe industry in its hold, because shoes are expensive to make.

I don't think the shoe size numbers on the running shoe box are certain--you could have to take a size or two larger to be safe--the numbers just are not what they should be here. And running shoes are costly, so you end up having to try them on anyway. (I'd say the shoes are about two sizes off right now--you'd have to look at a shoe size two sizes larger than the one you expect to wear).

If the running shoe is no longer supportive (at the mid-foot, for example; or in its foam padding); or if the running shoe size is too small--the shoe has to be replaced by a different pair of running shoes to prevent harm.
(You could bruise a toe or toes, or even stove the joints at the foot, if the shoes don't have enough empty space around the toes when you run with your foot extended, and your toes reaching, gripping, and pushing off).

A running shoe that is too big will not hold your foot at the mid-upper--and your foot will slide through the midsole past the end laces into the shoe toes and you'll still stub your feet when you run even though the shoe is too big, and not too small; also not the size to buy! Running shoes in a too-large size also could chafe your heels even through running socks when you run in them.

I've been wearing Nike Lady Pegasus + 28 this year (a year-old model for the sale price), for a standard running shoe (trainer) brand name and model. It is a relatively soft shoe.

I mention this with some trepidation, because the Pegasus is only my fourth choice of a standby standard quality model; it is a trainer intended for running and durable enough to take wear in running mileage-and, I know it will be a big enough seller to maybe get a season through the down economy's effect on brand name running shoes. It has a history of being a very popular model for Nike, and it moves off of the shelves. (I wore the Pegasus as an alternate for the Air Craft in 90,91--around when these trainer models were introduced (!)).

Running shoes, trainers, really cannot be made cheaply--and the pattterns have to be cut to the size and not skimped on at the sewing stage. Also, the toe pockets have to be substantial 3-D pockets. And, there has to be enough of an amount of foam padding and a sturdy material for the under sole.
A wide triangle flared-out toe box space is really necessary in a shoe to run in. And your toes and the insides of your feet can't ride the side seams, or run into any of the the leathery-plastic sturdy-sewn center supports, as well as can't run into the toe front supports. Your toes can't ride the front seams, either.

Many of the runners I see every week at the track club are wearing Saucony's and New Balance shoes. The past two shoe years have been the most difficult in which to find decent running shoes, and I've been wearing Nike's (but not the same model) since 1978! So, I know from very careful window-shopping that my old favorites will be modified too much until maybe the Olympic Games bring a surge in the market (2012 Games!)

My (genuinely) favorite running shoes have been: The Nike Air Craft (1990, 1991), A green swooshed white Nike Reax pair of lightweight trainers from after the Atlanta Games market (1997); and two pairs of Nike Xccelerators from 2005. (All of these usually-nice models will be so modified, at this point, that the mainstream and biggest seller Pegasus has a better chance of getting you by). I can't wait for an economic turnaround so I can get new shoes again!

This is the first year that I've had to buy out of a half-size, or at most a size difference in number range--all of the above-mentioned shoes and years are closer to the numbers you'd normally expect to be close to the right size.

I suppose my favorites were the ultra lightweight post-Atlanta games Reax with the green swoosh. They went right off of the market a year after they were introduced. Then the Air Craft, and then my older-year Xccelerators. I really liked both of my 2005 Xccelerators, but the newer model Xccelerator (don't know the year) has a cheaper and changed toe box, and isn't flexible enough to give the kind of torsion response that I prefer to find when I jog. Nice shoe, normally--I hope it gets redesigned and introduced again!

Running shoes on today's market seem to be in flux--they are too much like sneakers inside to cut costs, and their padding and foam loads are likewise compromised by cost cutting--no one can safely run in sneakers, although they look great in attractive designs.

The recent offerings are sort of a cross between sneakers and roomy "moon-boots." Is this usual? No, the good years produce sort of cushy track shoes (without spikes). Call them "trainers." Quite a disparity in what to expect from a shoe.

I am pro: injury-free, comfortable, and safe running and jogging.

To decide whether you like your running shoes, you have to wear the running shoes for two or three months until the foam padding conforms to your foot. Running shoes change with wear. Not knowing this can make you not like a shoe that may be a good shoe after its foam-setting period. You would want to avoid any fricton or abrasion pockets in the pads, or in some kind of shoe inner-surface contact. In any new running shoe-- no friction. The pads will gradually individualize.

Lisa
02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I was going to add that today I saw that Runners World has a March 2012 issue that reviews 23 new shoes for Spring 2012--I was thinking that the "new shoe issue" usually is around April--I don't know if this is it this year.

Once a year--you can read about the new editions out on the running shoe market. Of course, there are other sources for shoe reviews, especially now that there's an internet!

I've read through the March 2012 article--this may be the "shoe issue" for the year 2012! It's that kind of a shoe choice line-up.

**Yesteday I browsed the website for the magazine, and it reports 4 shoe issues, spring, summer, fall, and winter--that would be a four times a year update of new runnning shoes, not just one issue a year. Long ago, there was only one "shoe issue" a year--shows how times have changed!

Where do I look for running shoes? Famous Footwear, Sports Authority, (which is where I found the Pegasus), you could try a specialty running store, but the prices will be closer to retail--the staff may be able to help advise you on what would be a good choice for you.

(I did go into DSW to look!)

sodascouts
03-03-2012, 01:17 AM
OK, I decided tonight to do a taste test on "Skinnygirl Cosmos."

My verdict: 6/10

Not as bad as the Skinnygirl margarita, but not as good as the Skinnygirl sangria.

However, approximately 25 calories an ounce is not bad. Not bad at all. I think of all the three cocktails, this one is the least calories, and it's not awful. Therefore, it's the best of the three for me!

Topkat
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Well, my working out is finally starting to pay off. I lost 8 pounds. I upped my eliptical workout from 30 minutes to 45 minutes & I can burn about 350 calories in that time. Then I do 1/2 hr. of weight training. I do this 3 or 4 times a week.

Today I tried on a pair of pants that I really liked, but were in my donation pile because I thought I could never fit into them again, but today they fit me. I was shocked because a few weeks ago I couldn't even zipper them. So now I will be keeping them! Yeah!

I haven't really changed my eating that much. One thing I did, because I wanted to give up diet soda & I really don't like water is that I take bottled water & squeeze a slice of lemon in it & add just a drop of Splenda to it. It's better than plain water & not bloating like soda. Try it, you may like it.

sodascouts
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Congrats topkat!

Mrs Frey
03-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Well done, TK!

I've definitely shed some kilos - my jeans is fitting me much better nowadays, and I've received compliments from friends and colleagues, so I must be doing something right. :grin: My watch is falling off my arm!

I'm just going to keep going with my cycling and weight training. There is less than a month to the start of the casino show for me, so there's no time to slack off now.

I'm livin' right, livin' right :singer:
Livin', livin' right! :band:

:wink:

Brooke
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Congrats all! :thumbsup:

Mrs Frey
03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Thanks, Brooke! :grin:

Topkat
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks all. I think what really helped was doing a longer cardio workout.

Oh, here's something funny. One night when I was up at an odd hour, with my insomnia, I saw that infomercial for the "Brazillian Butt Lift". Well, I wanted to try it but I wasn't spending the like $80 or whatever it was, so I taped the infomercial & I started to watch the exercises they were doing. I even wrote them on notes to do at the gym. The first day I did them,the next day my ass was killing me, Yeah, I think this guy is on to something. So I kept doing the exercises every other day. Last night I looked in the mirror & my cellulite on the back of my upper thighs & butt were GONE. I was shocked. I don't really have a big butt, but it needed some firming up, that's for sure. I really think his exercises were pretty helpful. I wasn't expecting much, but I did see some results. So far it's not really lifted, but the cellulite is gone & I have had this for like 10 years.
Check it out if you catch it on TV.:rofl:

Mrs Frey
03-07-2012, 06:42 AM
TK, I'm going to need some details, please! I also want to improve my butt! :grin: I doubt I'll be able to see that infomercial in this neck of the woods! :lol:

Topkat
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
OK Mrs Frey, I will describe as best I can. I use light hand weights of 2 pounds.
I started with these 3 exercises;

1) Stand with legs a bit apart, Cross your left leg behind you & go into a deep lunge. At the same time, put your left arm (with the weight) straight down to the ground. Switch sides & do 20 times, switching sides.
2) Stand with feet together, toes turned out , like a ballet dancer. Stand on your toes. Put one leg out to the side, going into a squat, (stay on your toes) put leg back to place & then do other leg. The trick here is to stay on your toes the whole time. Keep switching legs, do 20 times.
3) Stand feet together, do a squat & then into an arabesque (lift leg straight behind you & lift your arms up in front of you) back to place & then do other leg.
Do 20 times (I also use a 2 lb. weight lifting when you raise your arms up)

After doing these 3 exercises, I tell you my butt was really hurting me. I think the first exercise is the one I feel the most.
Let me know if it does anything for you!!

Mrs Frey
03-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks, TK! I will try them as soon as I can and let you know! :grin:

Windeagle
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, it's been nearly one month since I started my half-hour-a-day treadmill sessions and it's been going well. I'm down by 4 pounds and have not yet had the desire to quit. I'm starting small in the hope that I can stick with it for the long term.

One unexpected advantage is that I understand the value of calories now. At my current treadmill setting, I'm doing 200 calories burned per session. It really makes it easier to skip that can of soda because I now know what 200 calories feels like!

sodascouts
03-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Congrats WE!

I do the same with calories. Once I realized that I'd have to jog for 50 minutes to work off just one margarita, I swore off 'em! (Of course, sometimes you fall off the wagon, lol.)

lizzyplays
03-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Me too!! Every time I even think about cheating, I remind myself how hard I had to work on burning those calories off. Makes you think twice about eating a 500 calorie big slice of cake. I love cake though. With lots of icing. Thank goodness I have no cake.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Sounds like we all have some sort of Sugar addiction! :wink:

Topkat
03-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Well, I have been a little slack on my workout schedule, as I just couldn't seem to fit in getting to my gym. I also hurt my back & couldn't go for a few days in a row. I don't have a scale in my house, but when I went back to the gym, it looked like I gained back 2 pounds. It's really not that easy to do 1 1/2 hr workout a few times a week. The good news is that they are rebuilding the gym in my building which should reopen May 1st. It's a lot easier to work out in my apt building, rather than go to the gym. It's just a lot more convenient. I am trying to cut back a bit on my eating. I don't really think I eat that much, but I guess I really need to count the calories.

lizzyplays
03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't eat that much either, TK, but it seems I have entered that dreaded age period when weight gain is inevitable and losing it takes the stern dedication of a drill sergeant. A year and a half ago, I was a size 8, which I am more than comfortable with. I'm 5'8" and have no desire to be Twiggy. That being said, I quit smoking and in 2 months, gained 40 lbs!!! Ok, so my eating obviously increased during that period and I freely admit, I was eating a lot of snacks and things to nibble on, to help with the not smoking. And, wow... did food ever taste so much better, too!! Two months later, a drunk driver totalled my parked car (while I was inside working)... subsequently leaving me to ride the bus every day to work for 3 months. I remember consoling myself by frequenting whatever Starbucks was near the bus stop, and consuming a large, no wait, excuse me, a VENTI Double Caramel Frappucino with whipped cream everyday. (I deserved this after all, for having to wait countless hours for busses, transferring, walking between stops, dealing with drunks and vagrants and people who've never heard of soap... right?)

< And cut scene to today >

I'm still lugging around the same 40 lbs! I quit every other vice I've had in the past just by simply waking up one day and saying "Ok, I'm done with that." WHY is this weight thing so dang hard?? I've joined the gym recently and have managed to find a couple of friends that are interested in going and losing weight too. I think in the end, that will help to have motivating factors around me. I'm not a lazy person by no means, but I am a very impatient person and get frustrated easily. (Perhaps I have issues?) I think I have pinpointed one of the main things preventing me from weight loss and that is my DIET PEPSI! I'm consuming way too many of them and I've read (and known for years) that they are no good for you and hinder proper weight loss. And, I need to drink more water. Yep, water is key.

I have a severe cheese addiction.

Thanks for letting me share. lol :soda:

Topkat
03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Lizzy, I can relate to a lot of what you're going through. When I stopped smoking, I quickly gained 15 pounds, & I was not a happy camper. I had always been very skinny, only 95 pounds, but I am only 5'2". When my mother died of a sudden heart attack, I quickly lost the weight & started smoking again. I didn't eat because I was in such shock. Every little dark haired lady on the street reminded me of my mother. I have battled smoking for years! I have stopped at least 4 or 5 times, & have gone back to it. It totally SUCKS. Cigarettes are $13.50/pack here in NY. I am now using the Electronic Cigarette to help me stop.

I have also exercised on & off. I get frustrated by the lack of progress. I am now a size 8, but for me that is a lot. Because I am short, only a few pounds show on me. I would like to get to 110, which is a good weight for me, but it has been slow going. I lost the 8 pounds & then gained 2 back. I feel like I am doing a lot of work, with very little results. I can't even think of what I'm doing wrong here.
I guess I really need to count every single calorie that goes into my mouth...
I tried chewing gum to cut both the eating & the smoking, Yeah, that's when some of my dental work started falling out & I needed a root canal & a crown.
I swear, sometimes I feel like I just can't win!!

Windeagle
03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Smoking was never an issue for me, fortunately, but I've battled with my weight for most of my life. Diets have never worked because they just make me think about food more. And I've never been able to stick with an exercise routine for more than a few weeks because I hate exercise for exercise's sake. I've always prefered reading to athletics, and I work as an accountant, so my life is pretty sedentary.

What made me decide to do something this time was hearing that I had high blood pressure last time I went to the doctor, and that if I couldn't get it under control, I'd have to start meds. So instead of doing a New Year's resolution, I decided that, starting on my 48th birthday last month, 7-7:30 each weekday morning is reserved for the treadmill. On Saturdays, I skip the treadmill and do a long walk with my dog in a nearby park.

So far, so good. I'm noticing that I'm just feeling better in general since starting to exercise, so I hope I can keep it up.

lizzyplays
03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Way to go! I sound a lot like you, in that every time I start any kind of exercise routine, I get bored or frustrated really quickly. I work on my feet all day and am constantly moving, so I think I justify "skipping" a day of exercise, for that reason. But, it's just not the same as getting out there and walking or working out on a treadmill or machine at the gym. I'm hoping that my new friends I made from work can keep me motivated and perhaps just us few talking in here will help as well. I tend to get more excited about it when I hear others talking about their own successes.

Topkat
03-26-2012, 12:45 AM
I know how hard it is to stay motivated. I used to have friends that I would go to the gym with, but now my friends don't really live nearby & go to different gyms and live far away. It's always more fun to have a workout partner. The time goes a lot faster. I listen to my Ipod, when I'm on the elipitcal machine, but I have a strong tendency to SING when I hear some good music & I don't really think the people in the gym would appreciate my crappy singing! LOL
I force myself to keep my big mouth shut!

sodascouts
03-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I haven't been exercising as much lately, but unfortunately in order to make up for it and ensure I will lose weight, I have been eating less.

I won't get to my goal weight before seeing the Eagles the first week of May, but if I keep diligent, I'll only be about 10 pounds over it. This makes me very happy!

Of course, I don't plan on losing any weight the month of May itself. I am taking that month off. ;) By the end of the summer, though - I'll be there if I keep at it!

Topkat
03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, I forced myself to the gym today for a good 2 hour workout. I'm Ok once I get there, it's just the thought of going that I have the problem with. I can easily talk myself out of going...I actually do feel better after a workout. Today I didn't want to get upset so I didn't weigh myself. I don't have a scale at home, (or rather I have one, but it's not accurate) so I only weigh myself at the gym, but only like once a week. I didn't want to get discouraged, so I just skipped the scale today!

lizzyplays
03-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I started coming down with yet another cold last night and this morning when I woke up, it's starting to turn nasty. I was completely out of every medicine from the last bout, so I had to go to the store and that took all of the energy I could muster up. I've been in bed all day, off and on (as you can tell by the lack of posts from me!). But, I have til tomorrow at 4pm to get better.. that's when I go back to work. There is no room for missing any days, as May 4th is looming large!

But, needless to say, I didn't make the gym today and I'm bummed because it was definitely on today's agenda. I did however, make a nice, healthy meal for dinner, full of veggies, fruit and a tuna steak. I took a picture and put it on Facebook. Was quite yummy. I'm loading up on meds now, so hopefully I will get a better night's rest than last night.

Koala
03-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately at the moment I have not much time for sports, in addition makes my knee problems again, I hope at the holiday, next week, I can make again more.

sodascouts
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
OK, this is to post again, but with a word of warning. I'm going to admit something embarrassing, but I figured maybe some people are like me and didn't realize this.

I was calorie counting to lose weight, and it worked. I am 141 pounds, which is very near my goal weight of 135.

The only problem is that when you get thinner, your body burn less calories naturally... so to continue to lose weight, you have to eat even less and exercise even more.

Recently, as most of you guys now, I spent tons of time driving. Luckily for me, at the time, I ate regularly, like I usually do. I knew I would gain some weight, but I didn't think it would be that much. However, it was almost a whole pound in just four days, and I kind of freaked out a bit.

Unfortunately, I tried to make up for gaining weight on my trip by not eating hardly anything at all yesterday. It was just one day, right? It couldn't possibly hurt me that badly, I thought. Yeah, I knew it wasn't healthy, but if it was just for one day, I figured it would be OK.

Well, I guess my body must be pretty sensitive to such things. Remember a while back when I had bad dizzy spells? I wasn't eating hardly anything at all then either - it was because I felt bad and wasn't hungry, but that doesn't matter. To top it all off, I'm on my period, which makes things ever more screwy.

So, I put two and two together. I need to eat normally EVERY day or my blood sugar spikes when I finally do have something and that causes my dizziness.

So, this all comes down to the fact that it's a heck of a lot more important to eat healthy than to try to lose weight quickly by eating too little. Don't worry, I haven't done this regularly to lose weight - I'm not anorexic or anything - that's why this has only happened once before. I was just too eager to lose that gained weight from last week. Indeed, I have been cool with losing weight slowly over the past few months.

But I have just almost gotten rid of the weight I gained in the UK, and I guess I kind of panicked when I saw it was coming back before I had fully lost that. Losing slowly is different from gaining quickly!

Anyway, I've learned my lesson now. Too bad it had to be the hard way.

Now I'm stuck on the couch until this dizziness goes away. It could be hours. It took one hour just for me to be able to type again. Thank God I am teaching online this summer or I would have to miss work. NOT acceptable. NOT worth it.

The reason it didn't happen before was that I was bigger and I could eat more calories and still lose weight. That's the irony of getting thinner. You won't lose weight as easily. Who knows, maybe it's God's way of saying "You're thin enough now. Chill. Just because you gain a little weight on occasion doesn't mean that you'll gain all the weight you lost back."

Livin' Right does not just equal losing weight. I should have known that by watching my anorexic sister. I should have known that it's never good to eat too little calories - especially too little sugar - not even for one day.

Again, most of you probably knew this already, but just in case you didn't... there it is.

P.S. The last time this happened, the doctor said it was an inner ear infection causing my dizziness, even though I had no loss of hearing or other symptoms besides the dizziness. A doctor making such a mistake is really scary and upsetting to me. Perhaps my self-diagnosis is wrong, too, but it seems to make a heck of a lot more sense, considering the context.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I did know this and like you, I learned it the hard way.

About your doctor, I have to ask if you told him about not eating? He should have asked, but I guess it's possible you did have an inner ear infection along with not eating and he took the easy route.

Living Right isn't all about losing weight, definitely, but on the other hand, I would caution you about gaining it back. I had lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time and all that did was slow my metabolism down to a level that was unsustainable, and so I gained most of it back. Now I'm trying to do it the right way, so my metabolism doesn't get to the point where even thinking about food will make me gain weight (I swear that's all it took!).

I guess my advice is that if your schedule changes, like vacation, and you gain weight, don't freak out and don't try and take it back off quickly. Take it back off slowly. If you continue to gain weight once you are back in your 'grind' then freak out. My big problem was a different job with different hours and a parking garage that wasn't big enough for my truck. Since I had to use public transportation, I elected not to take my lunch every day and instead eat at the deli on the first floor. Big mistake. The hours meant I never got back into my original schedule and with a big commute I was too wiped out to do much exercise when I finally got home.

:ack: Well now, with that bit of thought I guess I'll go put the pool to rights and swim a few laps.