PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Inside Job"

Ive always been a dreamer
05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I noticed in Today in Eagles history that Inside Job was released on this day in 2000.

Since we don't already have an "official" thread about this album, I thought I would start one for anyone that wants to comment on the album. Since it's a holiday weekend here in the states, and the board is very slow, we may not get a lot of discussion, but what the heck - for those of you who don't have any celebration plans, I thought I'd give you something to talk about. :wink:

So here are my thoughts on the album ... First of all, I'll start off by saying that it is my least favorite of Don's solo albums. I don't think that it's a bad album, it's just that I don't think it is a good as the others. I like it more now than I did when I first heard it, but the album is just too slow and it drags a bit too much for my taste.

To me the only exceptional track on the album is Taking You Home - it is simply a beautiful song. I also like My Thanksgiving and They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming a lot. After those, to me, there is a big drop off. Some of the other uptempo songs such as Nobody Else In the World But You, Miss Ghost, and Goodbye To a River are certainly pleasant, but really just don't do a lot for me. I know that many people think Miss Ghost is uber sexy, but honestly, that is lost on me because of the way Don uses his voice in the song. Of course, I love the sentiment and lyrics of Annabel, even though I find the melody somewhat bland.

But frankly, I think the biggest problem for me is that even though there was over a 10-year gap, this album was the follow-up to the EOTI masterpiece, and therefore, it was kind of a letdown. Don had set the bar so high with that album, that it was difficult to outdo himself - very similar to the problem the band had between Hotel California and The Long Run.

Freypower
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Well.... I find that I now have a lot to say about Inside Job. I freely admit that when I first heard it I did not like it at all. A lot of these songs have matured quite stunningly, in my opinion. The ones that have not aged well, ironically, are the more 'personal' songs.

Nobody Else In The World But You - I like this because of the way you can hear Glenn sing 'YOU' in the backing vocals. No, seriously, I love Stevie Wonder's part in this. But it is yet another of Don's 'finger wagging' songs. It has aged fairly well.

Taking You Home - sorry, Dreamer. I should love this but I find it terminally bland. All very admirable, yes, but I can't relate to it.

For My Wedding - ditto. Sung with great restraint, but not a particularly interesting song.

Everything Is Different Now - I have to be in the mood for this one. Part of it works and part of it seems very 'forced'. The 'I found somebody with a heart as big as Texas' part is just a bit .... it doesn't work.

I'll return to this later.

EagleLady
05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Taking You Home was the high point of it for me, but everything else, bleh, and the EIDN video was creepy :shock:

Fan_For_Life
05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I really don't like to compare from one to the other. I like Inside Job as much as anything else he's done. Working It,, Goodbye To A River,,, Inside Job and My Thanksgiving are some of the best stuff on the cd.

I can see how this wouldn't have the same impact of his previous work, due to the more mellow nature of the cd.

StephUK
05-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I really like EIDN - especially the choir bit towards the end.
Goodbye to a River is another of my favourites from the album. Like the title track a lot too.

Freypower
05-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Taking You Home was the high point of it for me, but everything else, bleh, and the EIDN video was creepy :shock:

Wow! I am trying my best to be diplomatic, and you say that you think TYH is the best track and everything else is 'bleh'???

Now continuing on:

Workin' It' - nice, clever, complicated lyric. Don at his most acerbic. This is the song that has grown on me the most. My favourite part is the verse about films 'special effects, no story'. How effective is that compared with the line in the preceding verse about 'suffocating, quarterly consciousness'.

Goodbye To A River - absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful melody, singing and passionate lyrics. Some may disagree but this is the 'real Don' here.

Inside Job - this isn't bad but it's a bit preachy. And the end of it is too repetitive.

They're Not Here, They're Not Coming - great idea for a song. Great guitar solo. But the 'and it's a cold, cold...... world' bit annoys me. Yes, I know. I could not write a song like this.

Damn It, Rose - the standout track for me. I love Don when he sings like this (see also A Month Of Sundays). Some may find the subject matter too dark but it is full of black humour, particularly the MTV verse and the verse which follows. Deeply satisfying.

Miss Ghost - another great song. Fascinating story, superbly delivered.

The Genie - as EL said, 'bleh'.

Annabel - I apologise to Don's 'real' fans for not finding this song profound or moving, although I know it should be. I don't know what else I can say about this.

My Thanksgiving - should be the life-affirming finale and it is, for the most part.

EagleLady
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow, Sorry for expressing my opinion :-x

05-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Damn It, Rose - the standout track for me. I love Don when he sings like this (see also A Month Of Sundays).

I'm trying my best to be diplomatic as well, FP, but ????. As we always say everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Freypower
05-24-2009, 09:41 PM
For some reason I prefer it when Don's singing is restrained and stripped back as it is in Damn It, Rose and A Month of Sundays. To me he sounds quite compelling in these two songs. He sings For My Wedding in a simlar manner but to me it is less effective because the lyrics don't really speak to me. I am sorry I cannot explain this better. I know a lot of people prefer it when Don really lets loose as in The Boys Of Summer which I totally understand. I just personally prefer it when he 'holds back'.

05-24-2009, 11:57 PM
I guess I must not have made my point very clear here, FP. What I really meant was that it is not necessary for any of us to have to explain our reasons for liking or disliking various songs. And it is especially not necessary for anyone to have to apologize for their feelings about certain songs. You and I seem to not agree on many of the songs on this album and that is fine. What makes different songs affect different people in different ways - who knows???? Sometimes it just can't be explained. For those who want to try to explain their feelings, they are certainly entitled to do that. For those who don't want to or can't explain, that is their right as well. Either way, we can't pass judgment on the way someone else feels.

anne-o-gg
05-25-2009, 12:24 AM
*Interuption* FP - I LOVE, LOVE. LOVE the avi pic!! Beautiful...:thumbsup:

ok, on with the discussion...I can not enter into this as I have never heard any of the CD... :worried:

Freypower
05-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I guess I must not have made my point very clear here, FP. What I really meant was that it is not necessary for any of us to have to explain our reasons for liking or disliking various songs. And it is especially not necessary for anyone to have to apologize for their feelings about certain songs. You and I seem to not agree on many of the songs on this album and that is fine. What makes different songs affect different people in different ways - who knows???? Sometimes it just can't be explained. For those who want to try to explain their feelings, they are certainly entitled to do that. For those who don't want to or can't explain, that is their right as well. Either way, we can't pass judgment on the way someone else feels.

When you quoted the specific part of my post regarding Damn It, Rose, I thought you wanted an explanation of what I meant. I am the sort of person who if I can do so prefers to explain rather than just say 'I love this'!

Peekaboo
05-25-2009, 06:07 AM
I remember during my junior year of high school, we were on the poetry section of my A.P. English class and my teacher gave us the lyrics to They're Not Here, They're Not Coming and Goodbye To A River to analyze and interpret. I remember her playing the songs after we all discussed the lyrics. At the time, I had already heard of Don Henley but wasn't completely aware of who he really was. I was also hearing Taking You Home on the radio quite a bit and because I really liked that song I ended up buying the album. It was the first album of his that I ever bought.

Fan_For_Life
05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Must've been an interesting discussion. As is this one.

Fan_For_Life
05-25-2009, 06:44 PM
But frankly, I think the biggest problem for me is that even though there was over a 10-year gap, this album was the follow-up to the EOTI masterpiece, and therefore, it was kind of a letdown. Don had set the bar so high with that album, that it was difficult to outdo himself - very similar to the problem the band had between Hotel California and The Long Run.

Being the big year gap between cds it wasn't a surprise to me that Inside Job would sound different. One of the reasons I don't usually compare is because every artist that I've grown accustom to has brought something different to the table with each release(single tracks/cds). Whether they stray too far from the particular sound or take it to the extreme opposite. It's basically what keeps me interested in the bands I listen too.

For me this is also true when Hotel California and The Long Run are compared, I hear them as equals, not one over the other.

And since I don't want to wander too far off topic. I do think Goodbye To A River has grown to be one of my favorites. Not to take anything away from other tracks but I agree with FP that it does bring a sense of "this is what it's been all about and I also get that feeling with My Thanksgiving.

Brooke
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I finally broke down and bought this dvd and watched it last night. My oh my, does Don look good or what?! :smitten:

This is the only photo of that era I can find with him in the same outfit (and it doesn't do him justice):

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/DHenleyFoxWalk.jpg

Does anyone have any screen caps of it? Hint! It's in a beautiful venue and all the band looks great (besides Mr. Henley!).

I really enjoyed all the songs until the last one, HC. What in the world possessed him to do it that way? :tonguewag:

Anyways, if you don't have it, you must get it! :nod:

EagleLady
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
He looks great there!

Brooke
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Are you kidding me? He looks great there!

As you can see in my post I said "He looked good". In my opinion, the picture does not live up to the dvd at all. Have you watched the dvd EL? I couldn't find any pics on the site from the dvd.

EagleLady
06-12-2009, 01:54 PM
As you can see in my post I said "He looked good". In my opinion, the picture does not live up to the dvd at all. Have you watched the dvd EL? I couldn't find any pics on the site from the dvd.

Oh I know I was talking about his version of HC. I haven't checked out the DVD yet, but I will have to look on Amazon.

Troubadour
06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Yay, good for you, Brooke! It's great, isn't it? This is the only screencap I have to hand (from what is probably my favourite bit - Talking To The Moon. Sigh!) but it won't be too much of a chore to do some more... ;)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/DonInsideJobMoon.jpg

Brooke
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Excellent start Troub. :smokin:

I knew someone would come through! Thanks!

Brooke
06-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Yay, good for you, Brooke! It's great, isn't it? This is the only screencap I have to hand (from what is probably my favourite bit - Talking To The Moon. Sigh!) but it won't be too much of a chore to do some more... ;)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/DonInsideJobMoon.jpg

Just had to bring this forward!

05-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Well Don's "Inside Job" album turns 10 years old today.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY INSIDE JOB!!!

This is an album that I really have tried to like, but it really just doesn’t do much for me. It is my least favorite of Don’s solo albums although it has grown on me some. It’s not terrible, but neither is it exceptional. I was trying to think of something to say about it that I haven’t already said, and I was able to note one thing – I think these songs work better for me in isolation than listening to the entire album from start to finish. I ‘m thinking that is because overall, the album is just way too slow for my taste and it just drags. Now, I know not everyone agrees with me about this, but another problem here for me is that even though there was over a 10-year gap, this album was the follow-up to the EOTI masterpiece, so I guess I had higher expectations. I did take the time to rate the songs using the same scale that I have used to rate other albums, so I guess I was able to come up with a few other new things to say. So here the songs are in the order that I love/like them:

I Love It (5)

Taking You Home (5) – This is by far the standout on the album for me. The song is simply gorgeous and melt-worthy and Don sings it just beautifully.

They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming (5) – I love how Don injects humor into his message here. The melody and delivery are really interesting in this song, which is a breath of fresh air considering some of the bland material on the album. Very clever lyrics and the music rocks during the bridge.

I Really Like It (4)

My Thanksgiving (4) – I had a tough time deciding whether to rate this song as a 4 or 5. Then I thought to myself – if I have to think this hard about it, I guess I don’t really love it. But I really do like it a lot with its uplifting message.

Nobody Else In the World But You (4) – This is a really good song, and one of the rare rockers on the album. I love the vocals of Don, Stevie Wonder, and Glenn.

Goodbye To a River (4) – This song is very pretty and has grown on me more than any of the others. I didn’t like it when I first heard it, but I have learned to appreciate it more mostly because of the great lyrics. I still think it drags a bit musically though, which keeps me from loving it.

I Like It (3)

Working It (3) – The music in this song is rocking. It may seem better than it really is just because it is one of the few songs on the album that does rock. I’m not crazy about Don’s talking style delivery though.

For My Wedding (3) – It is pretty, but I just find it too bland and slow.

Miss Ghost (3) – I am totally missing something about this song. Many fans think it is very sexy, but that is just lost on me. Maybe it’s Don’s delivery, I dunno, but I just don’t get it. I do like the music and melody.

Annabel (3) – I love the sentiment of the song since it is about his daughter. But, I just find it pretty bland melodically and once again, it drags.

Everything Is Different Now (3) – I really dislike the way Don “talks” the verses in this song, but I love the chorus. The verses and chorus are very disjointed to me – and, yes, I know that it is supposed to be that way to enhance the song’s message, but, I still don’t like it. I like the lyrics and message a lot, but the melody and music are kind of monotonous.

Meh (2)

Inside Job (2) – Two words – boring and uninteresting. :wink:

Damn It, Rose (2) – I do like the message and the lyrics of this song, but again, I don’t like the delivery at all. The message gets drowned out by the distractingly monotonous and drawn out delivery. Sorry, but every time I hear the song, I want to shove my foot up Don’s butt, and yell “Damn It, Don - hurry up and get this over with please.

The Genie (2) – See comments for Inside Job. That last chorus is just bad. The end! :wink: :wink:

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

Freypower
05-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Dreamer, once again you & I have diametrically opposite views on one song in particular and we disagree on a couple of others. I completely agree that the songs seem to work better separately.

This album has really grown on me. When I first bought it I could not stand it. As a generalisation, the 'personal' songs don't work for me whereas MOST of the 'rants' do.

I Love It (5)

Damn It, Rose - I find this very Dylanesque, and as I love Bob Dylan the song appealed to me straight away despite the depressing subject matter. The grim humour really makes it for me (the 'bloated Burmese cat' and the verse about the 'puffed up little fart'). And I love the drawled singing style. I love it when Don' 'strips it back' and doesn't 'over-emote'.

Miss Ghost - Dreamer said she thought people might find this 'sexy' - well, I don't feel that way. I just think it tells a good story and I like the way he seems to both love & hate the woman in the song. Very strong imagery and well sung (again, not overdoing it).

Goodbye To A River - Heartbreaking & poignant. He is at his best here on a subject close to his heart.

Nobody Else In The World But You - Mainly for the contributions of the great Stevie Wonder & Glenn. I do think that Don has written a few too many songs like this, but this one works.

I Really Like It (4)

My Thanksgiving - As Dreamer said, mainly because of the 'uplifting message' and what appears to be a glimpse of Don's inner self.

Workin' It -Nice cynical lyrics - standard Henley. 'Business as usual'.

Everything Is Different Now -I change my mind about this one all the time but overall I would say that it's one of the album's superior tracks. Good gospellly chorus.

They're Not Here, They're Not Coming - Overall, because this is so different, I have to applaud it, although I think it gets a bit heavy handed in places.

I Like It (3)

Annabel - I know how personal this is but it has only really started to move me. I share Dreamer's sentiments on it.

Inside Job - far too repetitious at the end but again, it is close to his heart.

Meh (2)

For My Wedding - it seems like filler. It may be admirable in its sentiment but that's about it.

Taking You Home - I'm sorry, but this is the blandest thing Don has ever recorded on his own. I know it's about taking his baby daughter home from hospital. That doesn't save the song.

Yikes (1)

The Genie - UGH. Along with Shangri-La, the worst piece of music he has ever recorded as a solo artist.

05-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, FP - at least we almost agree about The Genie. :wink: However, I still don't think it or Shangri-La are Don's worst solo songs ever. I still reserve that distinction for Man With a Mission and Building the Perfect Beast.

And it is strange how differently you and I view some of these songs, particularly Taking You Home and Damn It, Don (er - I mean Rose). :lol: I'd love to hear what others think, particularly about these two songs.

Freypower
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I rank Man With A Mission & Building The Perfect Beast just above The Genie & Shangri-La. :ziplip:

TimothyBFan
05-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I wasn't going to get in on this subject because my Mom always taught me the whole, "if you can't say something nice..." but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I like how nicely Dreamer put it...."bland". I think that about sums it up. This is my least favorite Don album and honestly can't remember when I listened to it last. The only song on it that I can honestly say that I enjoy is They're Not Here, They're Not Coming.

I think this album has Don written all over it with songs like Goodbye To A River and Workin' It but still not upbeat enough for me maybe?

sodascouts
05-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Once again, it's the anniversary of the release of Inside Job. If all goes well, this will be the last anniversary where we can refer to Inside Job as Don Henley's most recent studio album.

While this isn't his best work, it's not awful either. I give it a B-minus overall.

Here's to Inside Job! :cheers:

sodascouts
05-23-2011, 03:04 AM
You know what... looking back over this thread, I realized I'd never given my thoughts about it. Here they are:

Nobody Else in the World But You - I really like this one. Great beat, saucy lyrics. We all know people like the woman in the song so we can understand and appreciate his snarkiness. While the beginning of the verses can drag a bit, once he gets into the second part of the verses and into the choruses, it's all good. I love "In case you haven't noticed, there are lots of other people here, too." Weak ending but overall it works.

Taking You Home - LOVE this song. So beautiful and heartfelt. A standout track for sure. My second favorite on the album. His voice is so emotional and expressive. The video is also very sweet, filmed in the Great State of Texas and with cameos by the wife and kiddies (Note: the below video is from the official Warner Brothers channel and therefore nothing that would cause Don to have one of his apoplectic fits):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUE8aEn20M

For My Wedding - It doesn't have quite the same emotional impact as "Taking You Home," but this is still a very pretty song with a heartfelt vocal and I enjoy it. Trivia: its writer, Larry J. McNally, also wrote "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" from Long Road Out of Eden. This one also has a sweet video (again, the below is from WB's official channel):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHpKNyxXVmU

Everything Is Different Now - This is a very interesting song that gives us a lot of insight into Don's decision to finally marry (cool that the album was released so near their anniversary). The lyrics "Will you stand here in this fire with me?" are such a great way to describe the challenge of marriage. The gospel chorus is a nice touch. A powerful song.
Astonishingly, this song has a horrific video. Watch it from WB's official channel at your own risk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg1lZ4TQXU

Workin' It - Cool, jazzy song with some insightful lyrics and some cool use of effects. Its only problem is that it occasionally veers into that preachy, judgmental vein that can get tiresome. It's a fine line between incisive social commentary and self-righteous preaching... sometimes he successfully navigates that line, sometimes he doesn't. Here, I think the problem is that many people would argue that he's criticizing things here that he also is guilty of. I wonder if he realizes that and it's a deliberate ironic choice... he does use "we"... but I would be surprised. The disdain in his vocal is not something that indicates he considers himself among the implicated. I also don't understand why he needs to get vulgar in it but that's just my inner prude talking, lol. Trivia: the tag line "Business as usual" - later to feature on a Long Road Out of Eden song - first appears here. BTW, for those unfamiliar with the song, the song lyrics are here (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/insidejob/workinit.htm).

Goodbye to a River - A beautiful, haunting song that really makes you think. I find this one a poetic rather than preachy commentary. I find the line "They're killing everything divine - what will I tell this child of mine?" especially moving.

Inside Job - It's got kind of a creepy vibe to it which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I'll be honest - I don't like Don's vocal on this song. His voice is dripping with such contempt that he sounds like a jerk, and the effects used on his voice harden the tone of the vocal even more. I also don't think the f-bomb was necessary but that's just me. BTW more trivia - the lyrics "business as usual" also appear here.

They're Not Here, They're Not Coming - Back to the positives. While this song really didn't do it for me the first time I heard it, it grew on me and now I like it a lot. The chorus is catchy and I love that "cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, cold, post-post-modern world" part. With its use of humor, snappy beat, and sharp guitar, it gets across a message effectively without being off-putting. I also like that the message includes hope as well as criticism. Good song.

Damn It, Rose - a dreary song about suicide. I can only imagine how horrible it is to have a loved one commit suicide, and the emotions of the song are certainly valid, but it goes nowhere but down. Listen to this if you want to be depressed.

Miss Ghost - This is another song that grew on me. The lyrics and the vocal are very sexy and I like it, regardless of whether or not it was partially inspired by anyone we know. I really like the jazzy melody, too.

The Genie - the first time I heard this song was when I went to see Don and Stevie touring together in 2005. He opened with it. I thought "Eh - hope his set gets better." It certainly did and before long I was a hardcore fan, but to this day, I hear this song and have the same reaction: "eh." It just doesn't have a very interesting melody and gets so repetitive - definitely a "skip" song for me.

Annabel - I really like this underrated song. A lovely melody sung with lots of emotion - so sweet. The vocal is so tender and full of love that it touches your heart. Plus, even though I don't have a kid, I can definitely relate to some of the lyrics about getting judged by people who don't even know you - I think with the internet culture, more and more people are finding that out the hard way. My favorite part: the way he sings "You can always count on me."

My Thanksgiving - A terrific song; my favorite on the album. The lyrics are so intelligent and insightful - so much so that sometimes they will just occur to me out of nowhere in certain situations. "The trouble with you and me, my friend, is the trouble with this nation: too many blessings, too little appreciation." "Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge." "For every breath, for every day of living... this is my Thanksgiving." The melody takes unexpected turns but it always works. Plus, it's such a good message. Great way to close out the album.

05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Happy Anniversary to Inside Job.

I enjoyed reading your comments, Soda. We agree about a lot of the songs, but it sounds like overall you may like this album a bit better than I do. :wink:

I sometimes like to post the album's cover art in these threads, so here goes ...

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/insidejobcover.jpg

Freypower
05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
That's very good, Soda.

But Workin' It isn't the first use of the line 'business as usual'. That honour goes to Little Tin God from The End Of The Innocence.

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/solo/eoti/littletingod.htm

sodascouts
05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I stand corrected! Thanks, FP.

Koala
05-24-2011, 01:04 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY INSIDE JOB!!!

Soda, As always I have really enjoyed to read your commends to each song!

Inside Job is an excellent album with great lyrics and Dons vocal are great on it!

This album is WONDERFUL!

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm a little behind on my This Day in Eagles History blog, but I want to note that today is the 12th Anniversary of the release of Don's most recent album, Inside Job!

Henley Honey
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Wow. Eleven years. And here I am, patiently waiting for the new album. . . . . and waiting . . . . and waiting. . . . :shrug:

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 01:50 PM
You're not alone, HH. Back in September of 2011, he announced the new album of country covers would be ready by spring of 2012. It would have been absolutely epic to have all four current Eagles touring solo at the same time, but alas, it was not to be. Nothing has been said about it since that time... not a good sign.

Ah well, at least Inside Job was released this century. ;) I'm going to listen to it in its entirety in honor of its anniversary.

EaglesKiwi
05-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm going to listen to it in its entirety in honor of its anniversary.
Great idea, me too!

I love all Don's albums. My favourite songs on this one are Goodbye To a River, Taking You Home and My Thanksgiving.

In addition to the lyrics Soda has mentioned, these (from "For My Wedding") really strike a chord.

To want what I have
to take what I'm given, with grace
For this I pray

06-20-2012, 12:49 PM
HAPPY BELATED 12th BIRTHDAY "INSIDE JOB"!!!

OMG - I've been slackin'! I just realized I missed the anniversary date for the album this year, too. Shame on me!!! Inside Job happens to be my least favorite of Don's solo albums. Of course, it's not bad, but it just doesn't grab me like some others. I think the pace of the album is the biggest problem for me. I find the songs more applealing if I listen to them individually because the album drags a bit to me when I listen to it from start to finish.

As usual, I wrote a song-by-song review of the album earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and list the songs from my favorite to least favorite here. Again, even though we haven't been getting much participation lately, I'll compile the results as I usually do if folks want to post their lists. So here goes ...

1. Taking You Home
2. They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming
3. My Thanksgiving
4. Nobody Else In the World But You
5. Goodbye To a River
6. Working It
7. For My Wedding
8. Miss Ghost
9. Annabel
10. Everything Is Different Now
11. Inside Job
12. Damn It, Rose
13. The Genie

Freypower
06-20-2012, 06:40 PM
My list for this album is very different from Dreamer's as can be discovered if you read the whole thread.

1. Damn It, Rose
2. Miss Ghost
3. Goodbye To A River
4. Nobody Else In The World But You
5. They're Not Here, They're Not Coming
6. My Thanksgiving
7. Workin' It
8. Everything Is Different Now
9. Annabel
10. Inside Job
11. For My Wedding
12. Taking You Home
13. The Genie

sodascouts
05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Happy 13th birthday to Inside Job!

zeldabjr
05-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Happy Birthday to Don's "Inside Job"...I just realized I don't have this CD...will have to fix that very soon!

StephUK
05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
and a celebration of the Inside Job Tour, which is when Will Hollis' first appeared with Don, and I lost my heart:inlove:

Houston Debutante
05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I really like 'Inside Job' it shows a really diverse Don. I wish he would do another album of original material.

zeldabjr
05-24-2013, 05:50 PM
and a celebration of the Inside Job Tour, which is when Will Hollis' first appeared with Don, and I lost my heart:inlove:

I'd love to hear your memories of that time Steph...

Tiffanny Twisted
05-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi steph great to see u on the board,
I love that cd:thud::thud:

sodascouts
05-23-2014, 01:41 AM
Happy birthday once again to Inside Job!

Houston Baby
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Happy Birthday -- Inside Job!!

shunlvswx
05-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Happy 14th Birthday to Inside Job. I want this CD. I have heard a few of the songs on Pandora. I would hear EIDN, Nobody Else IN The World But You, My Thanksgiving, Taking You Home, Damn It Rose and Annabel. Then some of the songs I heard on the special.

Houston Debutante
05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
You need to get this CD, it's great.

Happy birthday!

05-24-2014, 04:08 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO INSIDE JOB!

One of the beauties of music is that not everything appeals to people the same way. My opinion of Inside Job is that it is my least favorite of Don's solo albums. At the risk of repeating myself, I don't think that it's a bad album, it's just that I don't think it is a good as Don's the other solo work. Although it has grown on me some since I first heard it, the album is just too slow and it drags a bit too much for my taste. I do love the gorgeous Taking You Home though. In any event, as is usual for me - to celebrate, this will be the featured album in my car CD player this coming week.

sodascouts
05-24-2014, 08:41 PM
"Goodbye to a River" and "Annabel" are tracks that don't always get a lot of ink, but that I think are absolutely gorgeous as well as moving.

The album veers from sweet ballads to bitter invectives in a way that can be rather jarring, but I enjoy it overall.

DivineDon
05-26-2014, 12:50 PM

One of the beauties of music is that not everything appeals to people the same way. My opinion of Inside Job is that it is my least favorite of Don's solo albums. At the risk of repeating myself, I don't think that it's a bad album, it's just that I don't think it is a good as Don's the other solo work. Although it has grown on me some since I first heard it, the album is just too slow and it drags a bit too much for my taste. I do love the gorgeous Taking You Home though. In any event, as is usual for me - to celebrate, this will be the featured album in my car CD player this coming week.

Have to agree with you on this one IABAD.

I like 'Inside Job' the least too. There's one or two songs I love such as Damn it Rose and Miss Ghost and Taking you home, like you mentioned. But it doesn't have that 'I could play this over and over again and never get sick of it' appeal as say 'I Can't Stand Still' even though as you know I love Don and find it very hard to be critical of him. JMHO :sad:

Houston Baby
05-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. I saw a sign yesterday that said....

Happiness is an inside job.

Of course, it made me think of Don. :)

Houston Debutante
05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Love that.

shunlvswx
05-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Happy 15th Birthday to Inside Job. This album and The End Of The Innocence are my favorites.

My favorites songs? Its hard to pick, but Goodbye To A River, Everything Is Different Now, Annabel and Taking You Home.

L101
05-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Happy 15th Birthday to Inside Job!!

While its not my favourite of his albums, I do like it but I tend to just listen to the songs I like .....:-(

My favourites are Taking you home, For my wedding and Everything is different now ( I even like that Video - its just so unDon like but you can't stop watching it!)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Happy 15th Birthday to Inside Job!!

While its not my favourite of his albums, I do like it but I tend to just listen to the songs I like .....:-(

My favourites are Taking you home, For my wedding and Everything is different now ( I even like that Video - its just so unDon like but you can't stop watching it!)

He sang Everything Is Different Now at the solo show I went to back in Feb. 2013. It was one of my show favorites.

L101
05-23-2015, 06:03 PM
He sang Everything Is Different Now at the solo show I went to back in Feb. 2013. It was one of my show favorites.

So jealous !! It must have sounded amazing live.....

My favourite part is "I bit that bullet and I took that vow and everything is different now" I just love how he sings it and how it sums up the change in direction of his life for the future..

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2015, 08:24 PM
UCR posted this earlier today as it's a big milestone for Inside Job

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-inside-job/

sodascouts
05-24-2015, 04:32 PM
I have my DV-R set to auto-record anything with Don Henley in it - and it recorded the 2000 Saturday Night Live episode on which he appeared to promote this album. Amazingly, it included a performance of "Everything is Different Now" (usually the songs are cut from the syndicated episodes). Terrific!

05-25-2015, 11:35 AM
HAPPY 15TH ANNIVERSARY TO INSIDE JOB!!!

And today happens to be the anniversary date that the Inside Job Live DVD was filmed. To celebrate, I watched the DVD last night. I love the DVD, and my only complaint is that Don didn't perform The Last Worthless Evening that night. He was definitely lookin' good though! :drool:

Funk 50
05-26-2015, 09:13 AM
I saw Don live in 1989 and although I enjoyed the show, I was disappointed that he only played Dirty Laundry from his first album. I love the inclusion of the very, very quiet, La Eile followed by Lilah and the wonderful Talking To The Moon on this collection.

I wish they'd skipped the annoying and unnecessary introduction over the beginning of Dirty Laundry. Who thought that was a good idea?

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Happy 16th Birthday to Inside Job. One of my favorite albums. I think it has been pushed down to no. 3 in my top favorites. LOL Cass County and The End of The Innocence is my top 2.

AlreadyGone95
05-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Happy anniversary to Inside Job!

This is the only Henley solo album that I don't own and haven't listen to yet. I guess that I need to remedy that, lol.

FWIW
05-23-2016, 01:07 PM
I've always felt that Inside Job is under-appreciated. There is a sense of contentment from marriage and fatherhood that comes through in many of the songs. For me, it's a nice change from some of his more "angry" tunes.

Anna-M.
05-23-2016, 01:53 PM
There is a sense of contentment from marriage and fatherhood

You are dead right! My favourite tune on this album is "Taking You Home" ...
Happy 16th Birthday to Inside Job!

DivineDon
05-23-2016, 02:01 PM
It's not my favourite of Don's - CC and ICSS are fighting for that accolade but Miss Ghost, Taking You Home and Damn It Rose rank very highly as favourite songs.

NOLA
05-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Happy 16th anniversary to Inside Job! :cheers::applause:

Arguably, his most underrated album. Pales in comparison to the shining successes of BTPB and TEOTI, but still full of memorable tunes like "Taking You Home" and "My Thanksgiving." Of all of Don's albums, it's my least favorite.

L101
05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Happy 16th Anniversary to Inside Job!!

It's not my favourite of Don's albums - I love ICSS and PTPB more but it's not a bad album - four of my favourite Don songs are from IJ though - Taking You Home, For My Wedding, Everything Is Different Now and My Thanksgiving.

shunlvswx
05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Yesterday was the 16th anniversary of the taping of the Inside Job DVD. Or in this case, the live televise special on A&E.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Let the hate come pouring in but this is the only Don Henley album I don't really like

06-26-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm way behind on this, but I'd also like to belatedly acknowledge the 16th anniversary of Inside Job. Although it's not one of my favorite Don solo albums, it definitely has some really good moments. And I do love the DVD.

shunlvswx
05-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Happy 17th Birthday to Inside Job.

I have a lot of favorites on this album and some songs I always skip.

Delilah
05-23-2017, 01:53 PM
TBH I'm not too familiar with this album. I've only heard it once or twice. I do like "Taking You Home." I'm going to give it another chance and listen to it today on Spotify.

Happy Birthday, Inside Job!

StephUK
05-23-2017, 06:43 PM
May I add to this a 17 year celebration of Will Hollis becoming Don's musical director & keyboard player (even though he didn't play on the album).

:bow:

Dawn
05-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Take my hand love I'm taking you home. :heart:

shunlvswx
05-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Happy 18th Birthday to Inside Job. The album is kinda legal now, but not legal to drink. :laugh:

05-23-2018, 12:34 PM

hellhathfrozenover
05-23-2018, 08:18 PM
I'm a bit biased toward Inside Job, as it came out when I was 8 (and a die-hard Eagles fan!)

I still listen regularly. The only songs I skip regularly are Damn It, Rose and Miss Ghost. Neither are bad songs whatsoever, but they're just not my favorite.

I was going to start listing favorites, but it included 10 of the 13 😂.

Annabel, For My Wedding, and My Thanksgiving are masterpieces.

They're Not Here is an absolute jam.

Love this record :)

Delilah
03-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Ok, this has bugged me for awhile; does anyone else think that Ashley Monroe’s song “Hands on You” sounds a lot like “Miss Ghost”? The song is from her excellent album Sparrow which was released a year ago and plugged by Henley himself on the Eagles official website. Those familiar with Cass County know Monroe sang on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSa8wS_nk&list=PLXvGYk8-N5VDMig_8Wido0-CfDyKkV-jl&index=4&t=0s

sodascouts
03-18-2019, 11:15 PM
Ok, this has bugged me for awhile; does anyone else think that Ashley Monroe’s song “Hands on You” sounds a lot like “Miss Ghost”? The song is from her excellent album Sparrow which was released a year ago and plugged by Henley himself on the Eagles official website. Those familiar with Cass County know Monroe sang on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SSa8wS_nk&list=PLXvGYk8-N5VDMig_8Wido0-CfDyKkV-jl&index=4&t=0s

Oh my gosh - it totally does.... a little too close for comfort if you ask me....

03-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Honestly - I can't see it. I like that song, but, unfortunately, can't say the same for Miss Ghost. :shrug:

Brooke
03-25-2019, 01:19 PM
I don't really see it either. I do like the song and I LOVE Miss Ghost. One of my favorite Don songs! :lol:

shunlvswx
05-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Happy 19th Birthday to Inside Job. You either love it or hate it, but they do have a great songs on this album.

sodascouts
05-23-2019, 03:12 PM
I consider it uneven, but I'm glad he put it out. I appreciate that he wasn't resting on his laurels and trying to push the envelope. I do think that perhaps he was trying a bit too hard to be "edgy" though, dropping the F-bombs and all.

shunlvswx
05-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Happy 20th Birthday to Inside Job. I can't believe its 20 years old now.

sodascouts
05-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Dang! 20 years!

This is a mixed bag of an album, but it has some good stuff on it, and I applaud Don for trying new things. Or at least they were new then. 20 years!!!

05-24-2020, 12:22 PM
HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY TO INSIDE JOB!!!

While it's not my favorite of Don's albums, it does have some really good songs on it. My very favorite song off the album is the beautiful Taking You Home. I also love My Thanksgiving and They're Not Here, They're Not Coming a lot.

KingWalsh
06-02-2020, 04:19 AM
Ya, I’m late to this party too, not my fave either, but I do like “Taking You Home” , “They’re not Here....”
I can’t believe how fast time goes by. Happy Anniversary.

shunlvswx
05-23-2021, 09:26 PM
Happy 21st Birthday to Inside Job. The album is now legal to drink. lol

05-30-2021, 11:44 AM
Happy 21st Birthday to Inside Job. The album is now legal to drink. lol
Well - I missed the party, but I'll toast the anniversary of Inside Job anyway. :cheers:

Delilah
06-04-2021, 07:30 PM
Happy Belated Anniversary to Inside Job!!

This is a really solid effort by Don that I appreciate more than when I first heard it. “Goodbye to a River” initially seemed drab but it has really grown on me. That being said, there are a couple of clunkers (“For My Wedding” - ugh).

This album is also notable to me not only for the Heartbreakers collaboration but b/c of the co-write by John Corey, who also worked with Randy during his solo career.

groupie2686
06-09-2021, 09:09 PM
I'm way late to this discussion, but Inside Job grew on me too. I could take or leave Taking You Home, but I love Goodbye to A River, My Thanksgiving, and Everything is Different Now.