PDA

View Full Version : Walmart, Good Or bad?

EagleLady
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I say, Good, they are the biggest conglomerate as far as Supermarkets go in the US. I find the people who work there to be friendly and helpful, although people who shop there can be really slow :brickwall:

anne-o-gg
05-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I love Wal-Mart - because they're inexpensive...that't the biggest reason for me. We ahve this dollar store here (I used to go there for birthday parties - since everything gets thrown out I didn't like spending a lot) anyway, Walmart is cheaper than them on many items...

I'm always on the lookout for a deal! :thumbsup:

thelongrun
05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree. They usually are Ok, but now and then (as in all other palces) a jerk employee shows. Like last Xtmass a ladie left me talking alone, I was asking her something and she just walked away... But in general they are Ok.:eyebrow:

Stars
05-28-2009, 01:55 PM
We have two Walmarts in our neck of the woods-one is absolutely filthy, and the other is clean. I always go to the clean one, but I do patronize Target more often than Walmart. However, I may need to go over and check out those Eagles T-shirts!:)

EagleLady
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't see how they can stand to see their stores so dirty. Makes you wonder about the groceries you buy from a dirty store.

MikeA
05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
We have two Walmarts in our neck of the woods-one is absolutely filthy, and the other is clean. I always go to the clean one, but I do patronize Target more often than Walmart. However, I may need to go over and check out those Eagles T-shirts!:)

There are several Walmart Stores in Wichita. I only go to the one up north occasionally and very frequently to the one on the East Side of town.

The one on the east is fairly new, the one up north is rather old. The old one isn't dirty, but it could easily come across as "cluttered". It's one of the smaller stores but the management has narrowed the isles and crammed a lot more junk from China in....almost as much as is in the very clean, well lit Eastern Super Store. Or at least they've tried to cram it all in!

The condition of the stores varies very widely from location to location and it's not reasonable to judge them all whether good or bad, on any one of them. What I have found in any store (Walmart or K-Mart or Target and other large chains) is that the employees attitudes pretty much reflect the conditions they work in. The better the conditions, the better the attitude. Most of the employees speak at least a little English, but God Bless 'em if they have to manually count out change! I've found that true with employees in most stores.

Fan_For_Life
05-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Have heard numerous complaints here and there. But for the most part I've not had any problems shopping there. It's convenient and I can do clothes and groceries at the same time. However if I need only a few items it's the neighborhood Winn Dixie. :)

Brooke
05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I have two area Walmarts. They are usually pretty clean and friendly. I shop there a lot because of the ease of just going to one store.

My worst complaint is that they are so big and I can kill a couple hours too easily!

luvthelighthouse
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Must be a location thing... but our Walmart's do not have groceries. I mean, no meats/veggies etc. They have dry boxed foods only. It's just a discount retailer. They are not thought of too highly around these parts of town.

I think if I lived in a smaller community, perceptions would be different. However, I know many people who won't even step into a Walmart. I of course, like the deals... but even my Walmart is getting expensive. If I have to pay higher prices, I may as well go to Target. Most of the Walmarts around my area are so messy, you can't hardly find anything... but the clientele is what really turns me off.

Again, I think it's an location thing.

ticky
05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I live about 20 miles outside of Portland in a rather large community. Portland has a population of a little over a half a million people. We do NOT have a Walmart. We WANT a Walmart, but the closest we have is on the outskirts of Portland on the NE side and its a VERY old and dirty and small Walmart. The next closest one is Woodburn. It is a Super Walmart (Includes food marts et al..) but it's about 40 miles south of Portland. They wanted to put a Walmart in here but it was going to go about 1/2 a mile from my house here on a small side street with ONE cross street in the middle of a residential neighborhood. I dont know WHAT they were thinking there, it was turned down. They says they're going to build one in Cornilius, about 15 miles east of us in a very small rural township. Go figure.
NOW!... in Medford... about 500 miles south of us, there are currently 4 Walmarts (okay, in all fairness thats actually the Rogue Valley which encompasses Medford, Ashland, Talent, Phoenix, White City and Eagle Point... yes EAGLE point..*G*... which in total area and population, is about the size of Portland and surrounding areas.. I did not include the one in Grants Pass here.. about 20 miles away from the Rogue Valley) 4... they have 4... we have 0 ....
?????????????????????????????????
HEY WALMART.... WTF??

EagleLady
05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
We have about 5 here *ducks flying objects*

thelongrun
05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
By the way Wasn't a NY WM where somebody died, by people pushin' and so? Poor guy RIP and what a stupid thing...

Brooke
05-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I live in the country. The only thing in my 'town', besides my job at a water distribution supplier and the school, is a 'card only' gas station and we are lucky to have it! It's 22 miles to my nearest Walmart and 30 miles to the other one in another town. These are both super Walmarts and one town has a pop. of around 20,000. The other 40,000. There is a hometown grocery store about 13 miles from me, but I usually 'go to town' once a week and venture on to a Walmart to stock up for the week because it's cheaper.

I love Target, but my nearest one is 95 miles away in Columbia. :sad:

luvthelighthouse
05-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Brook, I can't even imagine! I live w/in five minutes of everything you could ever want. Two major grocery stores, Target, Walmart, numerous gas stations, Whole Foods, etc.

ticky
05-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Brooke, Thats the way my MIL's house is. She travels about 50 miles a day to get to and from work. They JUST built a Walmart (super Walmart) about 20 miles from her but nothing is close, but she's in town almost daily for work so she lives in Walmart/Costco etc... *G*

Brooke
05-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Brook, I can't even imagine! I live w/in five minutes of everything you could ever want. Two major grocery stores, Target, Walmart, numerous gas stations, Whole Foods, etc.

Yeah, I can't imagine it any other way. The convenience would be nice, but it's wonderful sitting on the deck on Friday night, listening to frogs and crickets and cranking the music as loud as you want and no one complaining either! The frogs and crickets even get quiet then! :lol:

skibum1606
05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
around where i live we only have one wal-mart, its about a 25 min drive from my house, and it is one of the ones that doesn't have the supermarket. i only go there about 2 times a year or so. I'm not really a fan of wal-mart, plus contrary to popular belief they don't always have the best prices.