PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

sodascouts
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
I noticed that today was the day that No Fun Aloud was released, back in 1982.

This is my second favorite of Glenn's solo albums, after Strange Weather. It's so much fun to listen to and the songs are so melodic and catchy. Not a stinker in the bunch. I especially love "That Girl," "I Volunteer," and "The One You Love." I'm a sucker for the ballads! "That Girl" is one of my top 3 Glenn solo songs ever.

Glennhoney
05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
..I agree Soda..I love to listen to "No fun aloud" too...the whole album was great..not one bad song on it...hard to believe it's been that long..wow, 1982......brings back a lot of memories...:thumbsup:

Freypower
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
OK... I love these topics. Here are my thoughts.

First of all I have never forgotten the excitement when I bought it on June 10, 1982 (yes, that's how long it took for the vinyl record to arrive in Australia). I was a bit taken aback by the cover photo, which I still don't particularly like, because I thought he looked awkward (but not 'foolish', Marc Eliot, do you hear me)?!

This is also my second favourite album because it is consistently very good. Even the 'minor' tracks are still listenable.

I Found Somebody - Horns? What? I am so used to Glenn doing songs like this now but back then it was a revelation. It is still a great song which he occasionally plays live.

The One You Love - this has really stood the test of time. It's catchy, it tells a good story and he sings it beautifully.

Partytown - somewhat disposable, though I am fond of it. I prefer the Dublin version.

I Volunteer - another R&B gem. This is gorgeous. For those who haven't heard it you really should try to hear it.

I've Been Born Again - well, if you take out the spoken part (I really am not sure about Glenn's insistence on doing this sort of thing in some songs) it is a great rocker which is sung with the usual charisma.

Sea Cruise - somewhat lazy of him to do an old R&B cover the Eagles had been playing. Came as a shock to me. Where were the profound lyrics? Or as Rolling Stone said were they 'Don Henley's department'? I always found that an unnecessarily nasty comment. Glenn needed to lighten up and Sea Cruise seemed a good way to do it, though it's my least favourite track.

That Girl - SIGH. I agree with Soda about this one. It's beautiful.

All Those Lies - at last a bit of an edge. Some great guitar work. Interesting lyrics.

She Can't Let Go - a Spanish sounding track which has aged quite well. The Royal Oak live version is far superior, though.

Don't Give Up - decent rocker but somewhat cliched lyrics.

Peekaboo
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
This is the only one of Glenn's solo albums that I don't have. I'm still on the hunt for it. The only songs from this album that i've heard are The One You Love, I Found Somebody, and Partytown. I look forward to someday hearing the rest of the album.

Koala
05-29-2009, 12:49 AM
No Fun Aloud was my second Glenn Frey album what I had bought, I hear it very often,
I love this album, especially I like The One You Love, That Girl and I Volunteer!

Mrs Frey
05-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Woo hoo hoo, Soda, thank you for commemorating the release date of this album. This is my favourite Glenn :heart: album!!! I bought NFA and "The Allnighter" together in 2007 after I had them imported, and loved both, but after having played both albums to death (they're both on my MP3 player too - ALL Glenn's :heart: are), NFA is still my favourite. All the songs stay fresh and exciting everytime I listen to them. I'm considering doing a breakdown of the songs as FP has done, but I might just end up saying "I LOVE IT" next to each song! :blush:

Oh, what the heck - here goes:

1) I Found Somebody - my heart pounds everytime I hear the opening notes to this song. Glenn's :heart: voice soars on the chorus and I love his overdubbed harmony vocals. This is definitely one of my favourite Glenn :heart: songs.

2) The One You Love - just a lovely mellow, romantic ballad, so tenderly sung.

3) Partytown - woo hoo hoo! Glenn :heart: at his naughtiest and sexiest - just ask GA how she feels about this song, although I think it has more to do with how HOT he looks singing in his 1992 Dublin concert :wink:. I'm just a sucker for rock 'n roll, and Glenn :heart: can rock with the best of 'em.

4) I Volunteer - very romantic, with beautiful and passionate vocals. Glenn :heart: really shows off his vocal prowess here, in my opinion. I was very impressed with this upon first hearing it, purely for his singing.

5) I've Been Born Again - great soul/rock. I can't help but think that this song is somewhat biographical for Glenn :heart: :wink:, even though he didn't write it. Perhaps this song, apart from "That Girl", could also have been dedicated to Janie.

6) Sea Cruise - I never liked this song until I heard Glenn :heart: sing it. He breathed LIFE into it. Fantastic vocal and the band is superb. Our band incorporated this song into our repertoire recently, although we're doing the Johnny Rivers version. I campaigned for the Glenn :heart: version, but I'm not singing it, so I had to back down :wink:.

7) That Girl - just a beautiful, sincere song about the woman he loved. Lovely, Glenn :heart:...

8 ) All Those Lies - I always wonder about how much of his own life Glenn :heart: was talking about in this song. The reason I think so is because of his reference in the liner notes regarding "cheating on your mate". It's the only one on the album, as far as I can recall, that he wrote alone, i.e. without Jack Tempchin. It's a good song.

9) She Can't Let Go - this song makes me melt everytime. I love the fact that Glenn :heart: is also playing all the instruments. I think this is his most beautiful vocal on the entire album. His gentle vocal on the lyric "Oh she wants to be free/but when she's holding me" is just stunningly pure and melodic. Phew.

10) Don't Give Up - great piece of music. Glenn's :heart: keyboard skills are particularly impressive here.

As for the cover photo, it's my favourite "come hither" Glenn :heart: pose. I'm sure you won't mind if I remind you all of it:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/nfacover.jpg

:heybaby: :makeout:

MikeA
05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Have you noticed (as if YOU Ladies hadn't <LOL>) the way Glenn has positioned his right hand on that Les Paul? This is a pose that would be more appropriate for Timothy since it is that of one playing a bass guitar.

Obviously Glenn is just "posing". I mean, we all know that Glenn is an accomplished guitarist, but that particular pose is one I'd expect from someone doing "air guitar" <LOL>

And that THIN strap! It would cut his shoulder off were he to use it for more than a few minutes. Les Pauls are HEAVY!

Really, I'm not trying to be negative or show disrespect for Glenn. It's just that I can't help but notice these things. Nothing wrong with posing for a picture. But it isn't a realistic pose for a guitarist <smile>, and Glenn IS ALL THAT!

Stars
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I have this album on vinyl and CD! I have to agree with those who said it's their second favorite of Glenn's solo albums, "Strange Weather" being my very favorite.

EagleLady
05-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Have you noticed (as if YOU Ladies hadn't <LOL>) the way Glenn has positioned his right hand on that Les Paul? This is a pose that would be more appropriate for Timothy since it is that of one playing a bass guitar.

Obviously Glenn is just "posing". I mean, we all know that Glenn is an accomplished guitarist, but that particular pose is one I'd expect from someone doing "air guitar" <LOL>

And that THIN strap! It would cut his shoulder off were he to use it for more than a few minutes. Les Pauls are HEAVY!

Really, I'm not trying to be negative or show disrespect for Glenn. It's just that I can't help but notice these things. Nothing wrong with posing for a picture. But it isn't a realistic pose for a guitarist <smile>, and Glenn IS ALL THAT!

How did I know you would notice the guitar? :lol:

MikeA
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
How did I know you would notice the guitar? :lol:

:rockguitar: :wink:

Freypower
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Mike, it's interesting that you mention the guitar strap because this has something that has worried me slightly about this photo for years. Of course you can't play shows with a thin strap like that - it looks like it was the strap which came with the guitar when it was bought. I wasn't aware of your second point about his right hand though, so thanks for pointing it out!

MF, I noticed you mentioned the lines 'oh she wants to be free etc' from She Can't Let Go. In this version he sings that very softly but in the Royal Oak version he belts it out at the top of his lungs. It is awesome to hear.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Well I have had a busy week, so I'd like to wish a belated Happy Birthday to No Fun Aloud. Like most of you, this is also my 2nd favorite of Glenn's solo albums. It is a very close 2nd to Strange Weather. I really don't think there are any weak tracks on the album. I kind of have to divide them up into "I absolutely love the song" or "I like the song a whole lot".

So, the ones I absolutely love are:

I Found Somebody (love it and would sooo love to see it live)
Party Town (just plain fun and rockin')
I Volunteer (the vocals make me melt)
I've Been Born Again (love it; as I've said before - cheesy, yet satisfying)
All Those Lies (one of my favorite Glenn solo songs; very under-rated, IMHO)
That Girl (simply beautiful)
She Can't Let Go (incredible vocals, and the Mexican music works)

The ones that I like a whole lot are:

The One You Love (even though this was a hit, it's my least favorite of the ballads)
Sea Cruise (I find the story in the liner notes believable, and think that it is reflective of where Glenn was at this point in his life)
Don't Give Up (very catchy - love the "I'm countin' on you" line)

Obviously, there are quite a few of these songs that I don't believe Glenn would record today, but that is part of the charm to me. I think the album reflects exactly how he was feeling at the time - free of the pressure and constraints of being an Eagle, but still wanting to party on!

But it isn't a realistic pose for a guitarist <smile>, and Glenn IS ALL THAT!

Mike, to paraphrase Glenn, I bet his attitude about something like this is "Hey man, it's just a pose". :lol:

Maleah
05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
:lol: It looks like he's resting his arm on the guitar, so maybe his hand just happens to be hanging that way? lol

Can't really chime in on a lot of it since I don't have the album.........but I absolutely love Love LOVE "I Found Somebody!" Listen to it all the time!

05-30-2009, 04:09 PM
JMHO - But, for those of you who are remotely interested in Glenn's solo work, this album is a "must have". It is often available at a decent price on Amazon. Go for it - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Peekaboo
05-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Dreamer. Every once in a while I would go searching for it at the local music stores but haven't had any luck. My next step was to find the album online.

kperk014
07-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Glenn was dating the girl who cut my hair back when he recorded this album. My favorite song (and one of the greatest songs ever IMO), is That Girl. I never asked her about that song because it could have been a sore spot for her for all I knew.:fear:

Glennhoney
07-15-2009, 08:12 PM
..I would have thought that Glenn was with Janie(the plaintiff) back when he recorded that album...anyway, I'm very jealous of your hairdresser..8-)

Freypower
07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, the song is dedicated to Janie, who came from Texas. That is all I know.

sodascouts
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Glenn was dating the girl who cut my hair back when he recorded this album. My favorite song (and one of the greatest songs ever IMO), is That Girl. I never asked her about that song because it could have been a sore spot for her for all I knew.:fear:

I adore that song too! So beautiful.

I bet it would be a sore spot for the hairdresser to be reminded of the fact that since the song is "for Janie" it wasn't for her! lol

kperk014
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I adore that song too! So beautiful.

I bet it would be a sore spot for the hairdresser to be reminded of the fact that since the song is "for Janie" it wasn't for her! lol

For a hairdresser, she was pretty wild. Glenn was still relatively young and wild back then and you know how most young musicians have a weakness for the ladies.;) That Girl. I can still listen to that song and as soon as I hear the first note, it's 1982 again! Geez to be 22 again.:cheers:

sodascouts
05-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Glenn's first solo album No Fun Aloud was released 28 years ago today. To celebrate, check out these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqK5TdDGJO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQm-9g8hiHc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TI2-fAPf4

I Found Somebody
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/videos/ifoundsomebody.wmv

And stream some audio:

All Those Lies (Live Irvine 1982)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/AllThoseLiesIrvine82.mp3

Don't Give Up (Live Irvine 1982)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/DontGiveUpIrvine82.mp3

I've Been Born Again (Live Del Mar Fair 1985)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/BornAgainDelMar85.mp3

She Can't let Go (Live Royal Oak 2000)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/SheCantLetGoRoyalOak2000.mp3

If you don't have it, get it! Here's a link to it on Amazon.

TimothyBFan
05-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Love this album!!! It's got probably my favorite Glenn song, The One You Love. Everything about this album is good as far as I'm concerned.

Troubadour
05-28-2010, 09:42 AM
GREAT album! Thanks for all the videos, Soda. The One You Love is probably my favourite, too. I've been listening to the live version a lot lately. That sax and his smooth voice... gorgeous!

Happy Birthday, No Fun Aloud!

Brooke
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Way to go Glenn! :thumbsup:

Super Frey
05-28-2010, 12:34 PM
What a great album!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I just love Partytown:partytime:

Happy Birthday No Fun Aloud:birthday:

Koala
05-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Happy Birthday ♥ Love this album ♥ The One You Love is my favorite song, closely followed by I Found Somebody. I hear this album really often, it's just great!

sodascouts
05-28-2010, 01:28 PM
As I've said before, I consider this Glenn's second best solo album, after Strange Weather. Even the ones that aren't my favorites have their merits. The strengths on this album are Glenn stretching himself vocally and introducing the romantic side which we didn't get to see in the Eagles, the catchiness of a lot of the hooks, and the arrangements that build, pull back, and/or blast really effectively. Now that I have a bit of time, I'm going to give a run-down of what I think of each song.

I Found Somebody - Despite the fact that this was a single and he started off his live shows with it for years, it's not a favorite of mine. It's a little too laid back to the point of being sing-songy. However, the part leading up to the bridge - "One look in your eyes, and I said 'Here I go!'" picks up the energy. I'd classify it as "Pretty good."

The One You Love - Beautiful. Great idea releasing this one as a single - it really pulls you in, starting with that lovely sax line, then going into a very emotional vocal delivery that packs a punch despite the fact that his voice remains gentle throughout. He conveys a vulnerability that pulls at your heartstrings.

Partytown - OK, I have to say, this one lost me from the moment the guy in the song leaves his wife to go get high and drunk with bar flies. At least with Springsteen's similar sentiment in "Hungry Heart" you feel that he's conflicted about it and confused; in this song, Glenn sounds like he couldn't care less about anything but a regression to frat boy mentality. But I know to enjoy this song you gotta lighten up and not take it seriously, so... that said, it has a catchy hook and guitar licks, and you gotta love the line "I'm burnin' like a blowtorch in my prime"! He should've left out the talky part at the end though... muttering about how he wishes he had more drugs and how this was "some party" is a pretty limp way to go out.

I Volunteer - Again, a song that has an emotional vulnerability that Glenn really works, and a beautiful melody. I love the way he sings "You don't know that it's me who really loves you so desperately... if I could only make you hear..." - you really believe it. It has a good story arc and the way he amps up the vocal as the lyrics get more intense carries you right along with it. Great song!

I've Been Born Again - Overall, this song is catchy and has a good rock vocal as well as good message. The guitar/horn outro is cool. I love that line "A whole lot of women is an ego trip" - so true! However, that talking opening is horrible. I just cringe when he proclaims "I'm livin' for my baby!" when Tommy Nixon asks him to go party. It's too over the top to be sincere and that kills the sentiment for me. It says a lot that he recorded this at the behest of then-wife Janie - not sure Mr. Frey was really feelin' it.

Sea Cruise - I had never heard this song before playing No Fun Aloud (I know, I know, bad me). Thinking it was an original, I was just "Ugh, this is so lame!" Then I discovered it was a cover of an old song and I realized that's how a lot of those old songs are - super-simplistic, repetitive, inane lyrically, and completely reliant on their riffs and vocals. So, I just started ignoring the cheesy lyrics and enjoying the catchy groove and bluesy vocal... .and now I like it!

That Girl - Best song of the album, one of Glenn's best songs EVER, IMHO. The soft and pretty opening chords leading into the setting of the scene as the guy drives through the rain thinking of the woman he loves; the tender, heartfelt vocal that rises in all the right places, building as it goes, even breaking with emotion at some points... it has no chorus per se, but it flows perfectly... everything about this song works. Glenn has recorded other love songs, most of which I also adore, but this one has a quiet intensity that resonates with an emotional power which puts it above the rest, IMHO. Beautiful, beautiful. LOVE IT.

All Those Lies - Another catchy song with good guitar licks, and Glenn gives a great demonstration of how to charm your woman into believing that you're the innocent victim of a conspiracy rather than a liar with his earnest "You know how much I love you, you know how much I care!" I'd believe him!

She Can't Let Go - I've never really gotten into the Spanish-flavored mariachi type songs, but Glenn makes the most of it with a lovely vocal. A good story too - you really feel for the guy who's so into a woman who can't get over her ex. I can relate to the "song that makes you leave the room" aspect - I can't hear Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing" without cringing thanks to its association to a bad breakup. Ugh!! Anyway, despite the fact that it's not my kind of song, I appreciate the musicality of it.

Don't Give Up - No one ever talks about this song - maybe because it sounds a bit dated - but I really like it, especially the part where he sings "I know that I've said that I'm sorry before but I beg you to listen this time!" Yeah, the synthesizer beat is a thing of the 80s, but it drives the song along nicely. Plus, the way he sings "I think about you every night" is hot, as is the guitar. Definitely an underrated song!

Overall, No Fun Aloud gets an A- from me. Pretty impressive for a first effort!

05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
First of all ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NO FUN ALOUD!!!

Thank you Soda for putting up all those videos, mpg’s, etc. They are great – it’s too bad that there is nothing available for the beautiful ballads, I Volunteer or That Girl. I wrote some comments about this album in last years thread, but I didn’t rate the songs in the order that I love/like them as I often do, so I’ll do that here. Even though I disagree with Soda somewhat about a few of these songs, we both agree that this is an overall excellent album and was a great way for Glenn to launch his solo career. At the risk of repeating myself, this is also my 2nd favorite of Glenn's solo albums - a very close 2nd to Strange Weather. I really don't think there are any weak tracks on the album. Obviously, there are quite a few of these songs that I don't believe Glenn would record today, but that is part of the charm to me. I think the album reflects exactly how he was feeling at the time - free of the pressure and constraints of being an Eagle, but still wanting to party on! So here goes …

I Love It

All Those Lies (5) – I think this is a very underrated song and is one of my favorite Glenn solo songs. I don’t see any flaws in this song – lyrics, vocals, music, melody – all great! I believe this is his only solo song that Glenn wrote alone. What's not to love??? :shrug:

I Found Somebody (5) – While Soda classifies this song as ‘pretty good’, I say it is ‘excellent’! :wink: I love how catchy it is. Every time I hear it, I think about my mom and my 5-year old niece both singing along to it. So, I guess you could say it appeals to all ages. :thumbsup:

I Volunteer (5) – Glenn’s vocals on this song simply turn me into a puddle of goo! The vulnerability and passion that he emotes in his voice are absolutely amazing. Also, let’s not forget the fantastic guitar work, melody, and story here. Yep – he sells it and I absolutely love this song.

Party Town (5) – This song is just plain fun. It was intended as nothing more than a fun-loving romp, and that’s exactly what it is except with attitude! I’m sure it’s not a song Glenn would record today, but it’s a statement of the stereotypical 70’s/80’s male party animal. Unlike Soda, I love all the banter at the end of the song.

That Girl (5) – While I don’t think this is close to being the best song on the album, I do love this song. It is a pure and simple beautiful ballad with a great, understated delivery.

She Can't Let Go (5) – This is a beautiful song as well. Again, Glenn’s emotion results in some incredible vocals, and the Spanish music works.

I've Been Born Again (5) – I pretty much agree with everything Soda said about this song except the part about the opening dialog between Glenn and Tommy. While, I agree it is somewhat cheesy, I don’t think it’s nearly as cringe-worthy as Soda does. As I always say - cheesy, yet satisfying! :wink: But, having said that, I doubt if this is a song that Glenn would record today.

I Really Like It (4)

The One You Love (4) – This is where my opinion differs a lot from most fans. Even though this song was a hit, it's my least favorite of the ballads on the album. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I just don’t like the melody as much as the other ballads. As Soda said, Glenn does show a lot of angst and vulnerability in his vocals here, but the delivery is just not as emotive as it is in the other ballads, IMO.

Don't Give Up (4) – I agree with much of what Soda said about this song. I also love the "I'm countin' on you" line, and think this is yet another very catchy tune.

Sea Cruise (4) – I find the story about this in the liner notes believable, and think that it is reflective of where Glenn was at this point in his life. Even though this is my least favorite song, it is entertaining, uplifting, has great music, and you just can’t help but want to sing along and dance. I think my feelings about this song pretty much sums up why this is such a great album. Sorry Glenn ... no disrespect intended, but I can’t help myself - I have FUN when I listen to this album!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

Freypower
05-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, Soda & Dreamer, you have put me on the spot to provide a follow up to those excellent reviews. I wish I could be so eloquent. I will follow Dreamer's format. I think it is probably my second favourite album too (what a shame The Allnighter has a couple of tracks which really drag it down).

I Love It

That Girl - quiet intensity, Soda, you nailed it. All his best songs have that. This is a song which has matured amazingly over the years. It has understated piano and beautifully arranged (of course) strings and he puts all his heart and soul into it. I like the 'ooh, I'm gonna love her till my.... dyin' day' part.

I Volunteer - more smooth soul. I had no idea he was such a devotee of this type of music. By the time he gets to 'who REALLY LOVES YOU so desperately' you are feeling it with him.

I Found Somebody - because it is very catchy and because of the line 'you got me singin' this song' at which I either inanely nod my head or shout 'and very well too, sir! More please'! He likes it enough to still play it live.

The One You Love - it's a classic, that's all. It's a classic situation and it is beautifully sung. 'It just ain't fair' indeed. I get more out of this every time I hear it. Love the sax. The Eagles could have played this.

All Those Lies - Dreamer summed this up very well. It is a good showcase for Glenn's extremely underrated guitar skills. My favourite moment is 'I can't believe you'd listen to those one eyed jacks'. I absolutely love the way he sings that line. If he is sometimes painted as a wide eyed romantic, he isn 't here, except when he pleads that 'you got to believe me baby'. (NB I've been thinking about the song a lot since the elimination game).

I've Been Born Again - I am very fond of this, cheesy intro and all. It rocks.

I Really Like It

Don't Give Up - a little bit forced and the lyrics are not the most original every written but because it is HIM being so passionate it creeps up on you.

She Can't Let Go - the Royal Oak version takes this to another dimension. It is very pleasant but the situation is a bit dubious. If I were the narrator I'd find someone else but I suppose the point is they BOTH can't let go! Beautiful Spanish guitar work.

Partytown - too much of a deliberate attempt to distance himself from the Eagles, although it is fun to listen to.

I Like It

Sea Cruise - a bit lazy, considering the Eagles had been playing this on their final tour. Depending on my mood, either I go for it or shrug it off.

chaim
06-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Just noticed this topic. At the moment I haven't got time so I'm not gonna write much. I just gotta say that I love the cover. The sign with the guitar as a symbol of fun with the album title and Glenn posing in front of it, wearing a white jacket and a tie, with his guitar and that expression on his face...It's just hilarious!!!
"Don't let go" is awesome. The word "dated" had never occured to me with this song. If something works for me decades after its release, to me it's not dated. And this song works for me. A sound itself is never dated, as far as I'm concerned. I've always wondered about the intro. That fast lick sounds like a guitar, but is it a synth? I think I hear the same synth in some places in this song that Glenn played the solo with in "Teenage jail". When I hear the lead parts in this song, I'm often not sure if it's a synth or a guitar I'm hearing.

Freypower
06-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Just noticed this topic. At the moment I haven't got time so I'm not gonna write much. I just gotta say that I love the cover. The sign with the guitar as a symbol of fun with the album title and Glenn posing in front of it, wearing a white jacket and a tie, with his guitar and that expression on his face...It's just hilarious!!!
"Don't let go" is awesome. The word "dated" had never occured to me with this song. If something works for me decades after its release, to me it's not dated. And this song works for me. A sound itself is never dated, as far as I'm concerned. I've always wondered about the intro. That fast lick sounds like a guitar, but is it a synth? I think I hear the same synth in some places in this song that Glenn played the solo with in "Teenage jail". When I hear the lead parts in this song, I'm often not sure if it's a synth or a guitar I'm hearing.

You mean Don't Give Up?

Your musical knowledge is far more extensive than mine but I think the opening part is a synth and the solo and end parts are guitars.

sodascouts
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I agree with FP about the opening, with the same caveat.

And "dated" is one of those terms that means something different to everyone. For me, a song can be really good, but still sound "dated" in that it uses a lot of gimmicks common to its time period that are no longer en vogue. For instance, I absolutely adore the song "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3fCFkl-BFU), but its heavy synth sound screams "EIGHTIES" to me.

chaim
06-04-2010, 02:50 AM
You mean Don't Give Up?

Your musical knowledge is far more extensive than mine but I think the opening part is a synth and the solo and end parts are guitars.

I definitely meant "Don't give up"! Somehow I got "Don't give up" and "She can't let go" mixed up and came up with a new song title!

chaim
06-04-2010, 03:01 AM
I agree with FP about the opening, with the same caveat.

And "dated" is one of those terms that means something different to everyone. For me, a song can be really good, but still sound "dated" in that it uses a lot of gimmicks common to its time period that are no longer en vogue. For instance, I absolutely adore the song "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3fCFkl-BFU), but its heavy synth sound screams "EIGHTIES" to me.

I see what you mean. Me, I just think that we (me included, of course!) like to think that certain things are "dated" when we are so deep in our own time. If someone was brave enough and would use the "dated" things in public, we might realize that we love them too. This often happens when old things come fashionable again. To me nothing is dated, but at some point we like to think they are! A few years from now, ringtones and crocks will seem dated, but now they rule. A few hours from now I'm gonna read this and wonder what on earth I was trying to say :-D

sodascouts
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I see what you mean, chaim. If a trend comes back into vogue thirty years later, you can't call the initial trend "dated" anymore!

Your comparison to ringtones is interesting, though, because when those go out of style it will be because they are technologically obsolete. Perhaps that's also true of some of the more technologically-driven "sounds."

ETA: You know what, this got me to thinking - synth is featured in some parts of Fleetwood Mac's "Everybody Finds Out" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjF0svqQR9k) from their 2003 album Say You Will - and it was my favorite song off that album! I didn't think "dated' when I heard it; I thought "this song is awesome!" Guess that proves your point!

Freypower
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
To me the entire Building The Perfect Beast album is dated because of the overuse of synths.

chaim
06-05-2010, 03:02 AM
Yeah, ringtones were not a perfect example, because of the technology. I guess I was also thinking of what turns us on at any given time. We laugh at what people njoyed in the 80's, but now we are amazed by ringtones. Anyway, I'll have to listen to "No fun aloud" again to be able to say more about it. And it would be interesting to hear "Don't give up" again, now that the word "dated" has come up! I have moved to a new apartment in a new town, so everything is in boxes at the moment...
This word "dated" has got me wondering since I started to hear people around me laughing at the eighties. We laugh at all things 80's and what are we doing at the same time? Trying to get the ultimate killer ringtone to impress others, wearing pink crocks and writing "I think I'm going to wash the dishes" in facebook! :lol: When I watch Miami Vice today, it still has the same effect on me. No difference whatsoever. A great show with great atmospheres, great scenes with the picture and music fitting together nicely, great characters. But everyone around me is saying, "it's so eighties" :?
Anyway, looking forward to hearing "No fun aloud" again when I get it out from whatever box it is in!

06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Ragarding this discussion about songs being 'dated', I tend to agree with chaim in that it really doesn't matter to me what it sounds like as long as I like the sound. If it's a great song, I don't care if it sounds like 50's sock hop or 90's hip hop. Although I understand that there are some sounds that are closely identified with a certain period, the problem is that more often than not, whenever people say something is 'dated', it carries a negative connotation with it. IMO, some things are 'dated' in a good way, but unless I clarify that, when I say it is 'dated', the assumption is usually that it is bad. For that reason, I personally don't really like using the term that much.

And chaim, have fun listening to NFA today!

Freypower
06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I always thought that it was interesting that during the F1 tour You Belong To The City was invariably described as 'dated' while Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry were not. We know which song was dropped.

chaim
06-06-2010, 05:48 AM
I always thought that it was interesting that during the F1 tour You Belong To The City was invariably described as 'dated' while Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry were not. We know which song was dropped.

It's funny, because to me "Boys of summer" is as "80's" as "You belong to the city", but the difference is that BoS was more popular from the start. Both are great songs. Seems to me that BoS has escaped the "dated" label because people think it's a great song, not because it doesn't sound like an 80's track.
A little epilogue, added afterwards:
I find it interesting that both BOS and YBTTC have the same three-note hook that was very common in the eighties. If the song is in E minor (like these two songs are), the notes are g, f sharp, d. "Powers that be" by Roger Waters has this, even in the same rhythm as BOS. For those who don't know about musical notes, I mean the "you belong to the city"-melody, which has the same three notes as the "Boys of summer" instrumental hook. Somehow those three notes together, with the minor chord in the background, sum up the eigthies.:)

06-06-2010, 11:40 AM

This post confused me FP. Who was it that "invariably described" YBTTC as dated? It sounds to me as if you think that the reason that the song was dropped is because it is dated. Sorry, but I just don't buy that. I believe it was dropped for totally different reasons.

It's funny, because to me "Boys of summer" is as "80's" as "You belong to the city", but the difference is that BoS was more popular from the start. Both are great songs. Seems to me that BoS has escaped the "dated" label because people think it's a great song, not because it doesn't sound like an 80's track.

chaim, I agree that both songs have the 80's sound, but YBTTC was actually a bigger hit than BOS when they were released - YBTTC hit #2 whereas BOS topped out at #5 I believe. Again, I'm not sure where the notion comes from that one song is more dated than the other.

Prettymaid
06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
A good song is a good song. Period. That's why there are so many classic rock radio stations!

sodascouts
06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I find it interesting that both BOS and YBTTC have the same three-note hook that was very common in the eighties. If the song is in E minor (like these two songs are), the notes are g, f sharp, d. "Powers that be" by Roger Waters has this, even in the same rhythm as BOS. For those who don't know about musical notes, I mean the "you belong to the city"-melody, which has the same three notes as the "Boys of summer" instrumental hook. Somehow those three notes together, with the minor chord in the background, sum up the eigthies.:)

I had never noticed that. Fascinating!

As far as YBTTC being dropped, I'm betting it was because it was hard for Glenn to consistently hit the high notes without using jarring falsetto.

chaim
06-06-2010, 02:40 PM
chaim, I agree that both songs have the 80's sound, but YBTTC was actually a bigger hit than BOS when they were released - YBTTC hit #2 whereas BOS topped out at #5 I believe. Again, I'm not sure where the notion comes from that one song is more dated than the other.

I stand corrected, thanks. I'd never heard anyone say that YBTTC was dated either. I'm just trusting Freypower on this.

Freypower
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
A lot of reviews for the F1 tour made a point of saying that YBTTC was 'cheesy 80s soundtrack material' and hence 'dated'. I remember what they said.

He has since proven that he can sing it in his normal voice, however, which is how he should have done it on that tour. I still love the song, regardless of what the critics said about it.

06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, FP, while I'm sure you're right about some critics making those comments about YBTTC during the Farewell I tour. However, I'm just saying that I was around and following the band very closely at that time, and I don't recall there being any widespread conscensus among either critics or fans that pronounced the song to be more dated than The Boys of Summer or Dirty Laundry.

I can say from personal experience from the Farewell I shows I attended where the song was played that, without exception, YBTTC was one of the best received songs in the set list by the fans. As for critics, what do they know!

sodascouts
05-29-2011, 07:34 PM
I didn't get a chance to post yesterday obviously, but happy belated birthday to No Fun Aloud which was released on May 28, 1982.

To celebrate, check these out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV9vk2950o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37DBJ2SBYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TI2-fAPf4

I Found Somebody
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/videos/ifoundsomebody.wmv

And some live stuff:

All Those Lies (Live Irvine 1982)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/AllThoseLiesIrvine82.mp3

Don't Give Up (Live Irvine 1982)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/DontGiveUpIrvine82.mp3

I've Been Born Again (Live Del Mar Fair 1985)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/BornAgainDelMar85.mp3

She Can't let Go (Live Royal Oak 2000)
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/SheCantLetGoRoyalOak2000.mp3

If you don't have it, get it! Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Glennhoney
05-29-2011, 07:38 PM
LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :birthday:

GlennLover
05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :birthday:

So do I!!! I think that The One You Love has to be my favorite Glenn solo song.

Freypower
05-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I love the album too; I just wish I could think of something new to say about it. :-(

GlennLover
05-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I Found Somebody

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%2080s/CorbisNFA2tour1982-1.jpg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%2080s/thumbnailCAXX7S5Z-1.jpg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%2080s/DZ001722.jpg

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Glenn%2080s/CopyofGFreyGuitarWorkshop.jpg

Freypower
05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
There is one thing I thought of. This album marked the start of Glenn's solo recording career, which lasted until 1992; ten years. Four albums in ten years isn't bad. Four albums in thirty years....

I know there's nothing that can be done about it but it's what happened.

sodascouts
05-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, it's not like he's been sitting on his thumbs - he's been working with the Eagles. Yes, I do wish he'd do another solo album like the rest of his bandmates, but he's straight out said he doesn't think he'll ever do another contemporary album. Unless he has a change of heart, the most we can expect is the album of big-band covers along the lines of Rod Stewart's Songbook that he mentioned a while back - however, even that seems to be iffy as it hasn't been mentioned in some time.

Since he doesn't need the money and isn't under any contractual obligations as far as I know, his only motivation to do another album would be for creative reasons. Perhaps the Muse just isn't prodding him hard enough. Besides, a new album requires a great deal of time, effort, haggling over money, and risk of rejection. I look at what Lindsey Buckingham has to go through to get his albums "out there" - even now he's shopping for a label and might wind up going the indie route - and I can see why Glenn might be hesitant to engage in the process, especially since it won't necessarily bring in a huge payday like an Eagles album would. He also might be reticent to do solo shows to promote it. While such shows are not required, foregoing them would certainly not help sales.

In other words, maybe he feels it's just not worth it anymore.

I did hope that maybe seeing Joe, Tim, Don and even Felder making albums would motivate him, but so far at least, there's nothing to indicate that has taken place. :(

We Frey fans just have to suck it up and deal.

GlennLover
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Sad but true! :depressed: :cry:

05-31-2011, 11:13 AM
First of all, I'm a little late to the party here, but ...

HAPPY 29th ANNIVERSARY NO FUN ALOUD!!!

And, of course, I agree that it would be great to have a new album from Glenn, but, like Soda, I would also be VERY surprised if it happens. He seems to be devoting most of his time to the Eagles and his family, but you never know what he may have up his sleeve. I honestly would not be jazzed over him doing a 'standards' cover album. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice.

Brooke
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Happy Anniversary No Fun Aloud!

As much as I would like to see another album from Glenn, I don't expect it either. Soda's comments are probably right on the money. I'd say he just doesn't want to go through all that anymore. He's certainly busy enough with the Eagles and his family.

Glennhoney
05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
..can't say that I blame him either.........though it would be fantastic to hear some new solo work..

EaglesKiwi
06-01-2011, 04:15 AM
It would be great to hear new solo work... and more of his lead songs during Eagles concerts! I wonder if he realises how much we want it??? :brickwall:

I have just got a copy of No Fun Aloud - on vinyl!! I haven't had a chance to listen right through - hopefully this weekend. :partytime:I might post a few thoughts upon hearing it for the first time, even though I'm a bit late for the official birthday!

I was surprised when I clicked on one of the links Soda posted that I actually knew the song - though didn't know it was Glenn (being a relatively recent Eagles convert in 2001).

06-01-2011, 08:48 AM
EK - I would definitely recommend that you give this album a listen. It is a really good album even though, as I've said before, it is doubtful that Glenn would record some of these songs now that he is older. However, the album is very enjoyable and I personally like every track on it. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the album, as well as anyone else's that hasn't already posted in this thread.

Brooke
06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I was just going through this thread reading past comments about this album and came across Mrs F's here. I loved it and thought she wouldn't mind it being posted again. (Hope all's well with you Mrs F! I know you're busy these days, but we miss ya!)

I'm definitely digging this album out to have a new listen after reading! :thumbsup:

Woo hoo hoo, Soda, thank you for commemorating the release date of this album. This is my favourite Glenn :heart: album!!! I bought NFA and "The Allnighter" together in 2007 after I had them imported, and loved both, but after having played both albums to death (they're both on my MP3 player too - ALL Glenn's :heart: are), NFA is still my favourite. All the songs stay fresh and exciting everytime I listen to them. I'm considering doing a breakdown of the songs as FP has done, but I might just end up saying "I LOVE IT" next to each song! :blush:

Oh, what the heck - here goes:

1) I Found Somebody - my heart pounds everytime I hear the opening notes to this song. Glenn's :heart: voice soars on the chorus and I love his overdubbed harmony vocals. This is definitely one of my favourite Glenn :heart: songs.

2) The One You Love - just a lovely mellow, romantic ballad, so tenderly sung.

3) Partytown - woo hoo hoo! Glenn :heart: at his naughtiest and sexiest - just ask GA how she feels about this song, although I think it has more to do with how HOT he looks singing in his 1992 Dublin concert :wink:. I'm just a sucker for rock 'n roll, and Glenn :heart: can rock with the best of 'em.

4) I Volunteer - very romantic, with beautiful and passionate vocals. Glenn :heart: really shows off his vocal prowess here, in my opinion. I was very impressed with this upon first hearing it, purely for his singing.

5) I've Been Born Again - great soul/rock. I can't help but think that this song is somewhat biographical for Glenn :heart: :wink:, even though he didn't write it. Perhaps this song, apart from "That Girl", could also have been dedicated to Janie.

6) Sea Cruise - I never liked this song until I heard Glenn :heart: sing it. He breathed LIFE into it. Fantastic vocal and the band is superb. Our band incorporated this song into our repertoire recently, although we're doing the Johnny Rivers version. I campaigned for the Glenn :heart: version, but I'm not singing it, so I had to back down :wink:.

7) That Girl - just a beautiful, sincere song about the woman he loved. Lovely, Glenn :heart:...

8 ) All Those Lies - I always wonder about how much of his own life Glenn :heart: was talking about in this song. The reason I think so is because of his reference in the liner notes regarding "cheating on your mate". It's the only one on the album, as far as I can recall, that he wrote alone, i.e. without Jack Tempchin. It's a good song.

9) She Can't Let Go - this song makes me melt everytime. I love the fact that Glenn :heart: is also playing all the instruments. I think this is his most beautiful vocal on the entire album. His gentle vocal on the lyric "Oh she wants to be free/but when she's holding me" is just stunningly pure and melodic. Phew.

10) Don't Give Up - great piece of music. Glenn's :heart: keyboard skills are particularly impressive here.

As for the cover photo, it's my favourite "come hither" Glenn :heart: pose. I'm sure you won't mind if I remind you all of it:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/nfacover.jpg

:heybaby: :makeout:

Freypower
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I would urge anyone who hasn't heard it to try & do so because believe me, Glenn's solo work is really worth hearing.

Glennhoney
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
...hear, hear...:thumbsup:

sodascouts
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Here's something cute - Glenn's little comments on each song, as found in the liner notes:

I Found Somebody
GLENN FREY / JACK TEMPCHIN
Well, what d'ya know? A happy song! In 1971, on my first trip to Alabama, a guitar player named Eddie Hinton showed me the fingering for what I call the Bobby Womack Chinese soul licks. I am ever grateful.
Drums: Michael Huey
Bass: Bryan Garofalo
Guitar: Josh Leo
Lead Guitar and Organ: G.F.
Synthesizer: David "Hawk" Wolinski
Tenor Sax: Al Garth
RED CLOUD MUSIC / NIGHT RIVER PUBLISHING ASCAP

The One You Love
Jack and I were on a roll. We had 4 or 5 good songs written and 3 more started. Sometimes when you're going good there are unwritten songs out in the cosmos who get jealous of the songs you're writing and say, "Hey, why don't you write me too!" This song came knocking in just that way.
Guitars, Electric Piano & Bass: G.F.
Saxophone: Ernie Watts, Jim Horn
Strings arranged by Jim Ed Norman

Partytown
For all my friends at the Jerome Bar and diehard party people everywhere. Hopefully, you all know that you can't party all the time, but when you do, play this song. By the way, you got any?
Bass: Bob Glaub
Guitars: Josh Leo
Lead Guitar and Piano: G.F.
Background Vocals by the Monstertones,
featuring: Duane Monstertone, Leon Blazek, Freddy Buffett, Urban Azoff, Pee Wee Solters, Marion Kinde, Buckley Wideface, Tommy Obnozzio, Jingles Squirrel Heart, Floyd Tempchin, Ollie Blair, Hugh Gotteny, Peter Rennert, John McEnroe and Peter Fleming.

I Volunteer
JACK TEMPCHIN / BILL BOONE
Jack always sends me tapes of his new songs. I found this one in the mailbox one morning and flipped. Hats off to Richard Stekol who came up with the guitar parts Kootch and I play.
Bass: Roberto Piñon
Organ: Hawk
Guitar: Dan Kortchmar
Lead Guitar: G.F.
Background Vocals: Mary Levy, Tom Kelly, Bill Champlin and G.F.
NIGHT RIVER PUBLISHING / DILL DOUGH BEAN MUSIC ASCAP
Marcy Levy appears courtesy of Epic Records.

I've Been Born Again
DON DAVIS / JAMES DEAN
I've always loved this song, originally recorded by Johnny Taylor in the early 70's. This version features the Heart Attack Horns, Tom Nixon and my Trans Am.
Drums: John Robinson
Guitars and Electronic Piano: G.F.
Percussion: Steve Forman
Horns by the Heart Attack horns
Trumpets: Lee Thornburg, John Berry
Saxophones: Bill Bergman, Jim Colie
Baritone: Gregg Smith
Horns arranged by Lee Thornburg and Jim Ed Norman
GROOVESVILLE MUSIC BMI

Sea Cruise
HUEY SMITH / JOHN VINCENT
Woke up with a minor hangover in Muscle Shoals, needed to feel better. Took 3 Excedrin, opened a beer and said, "We're doing Sea Cruise today with live horns." Felt better right away.
Drums: Roger Hawkins
Bass: David Hood
Guitar: Duncan Cameron
Piano: Clayton Ivey
Saxophones: Harvey Thompson, Ronnie Eades
COTILLION MUSIC INC. BMI

That Girl
GLENN FREY / BOB SEGER
A straight forward love song from two native Detroiters, featuring a beautiful string chart by Jim Ed Norman. For Janie.
Drums & Bells: Roger Hawkins
Electric Guitar: Duncan Cameron
Acoustic Guitar: Wayne Perkins
Electric Piano: G.F.
RED CLOUD MUSIC / GEAR PUBLSHING CO. ASCAP

All Those Lies
GLENN FREY
Never cheat on your mate, especially when you're too high to cover your tracks. Lies beget lies. The nice thing about the truth is, it's the only story you have to remember.
Organ and Synthesizer: Hawk
Lead Guitar and Electric Piano: G. F.
Background Vocals: Oren Waters, Julia Waters, and Maxine Waters
RED CLOUD MUSIC ASCAP

She Can't Let Go
A sad Spanish sounding song about a girl who can't get over an old flame. The bass part is played on a guitarõn.
All other instruments: G.F.

Don't Give Up
Originally written as the theme for Monday Night Football, but somehow things didn't work out. I still practice my Howard Cosell impersonation during the intro.
Synthesizers: Hawk
Guitars, Clavinet, Synthesizers: G.F.
Additional Keyboards: Allan Blazek
Background Vocals: Oren Waters, Julia Waters, Maxine Waters and G.F.

Koala
06-02-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm a bit late but.....

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

No Fun Aloud is my second favorite solo album from Glenn after Strange Weather!A lot of very good songs are on this album!

Brooke
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting those Soda. It's fun to read Glenn's little comments. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
06-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Yes, I love that he puts little comments like that on some of his albums. Very cool.

whitcap
05-28-2012, 11:43 AM
No Fun Aloud was released 30 years ago today!

sodascouts
05-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow, 30 years! Love this album.

Enjoy the video for the album's biggest hit!

Windeagle
05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I was about 30 years late to the party on this album. I only just got my first copy a couple of months ago. I would not have liked it when it was released. I was 18 then and only liked things that sounded like other things I liked. This album was a departure and I was not inclined to experiment.

Boy, am I glad I grew up. By the time I finally listened to it top to bottom this February, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can hear that Glenn is really testing his solo wings here, because no two songs sound the same. I don't really have a favorite song yet, but as is typical for me, I gravitate toward the non-hits like "I Volunteer" and "All Those Lies". I'll play it again today in honor of the anniversary.

GlennLover
05-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Wow, 30 years! Love this album.

Enjoy the video for the album's biggest hit!

I enjoy that video all the time!!! That's my favorite Glenn solo song!

Glennhoney
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
STILL A GREAT ALBUM AFTER 30 YEARS...:thumbsup:

06-20-2012, 12:27 PM
HAPPY BELATED 30th BIRTHDAY "NO FUN ALOUD"!!!

OMG - I totally missed the anniversary date for the album this year. Shame on me!!! This happens to be one of my favorite of Glenn's solo albums - a very close second to Strange Weather. At the risk of repeating myself, this is an overall excellent album and was a great way for Glenn to launch his solo career, IMHO. The album has a certain charm to it even today, even though some of the songs are not what Glenn would be interested in recording now. There's not a track on the album that I dislike and, as I've said before, it's just fun to listen to despite Mr. Frey's title. :wink:

As usual, I wrote a song-by-song review of the album earlier in this thread, but I'll go ahead and list the songs from my favorite to least favorite here. Again, even though we haven't been getting much participation lately, I'll compile the results as I usually do if folks want to post their lists. So here goes ...

1. All Those Lies
2. I Found Somebody
3. I Volunteer
4. Party Town
5. That Girl
6. She Can't Let Go
7. I've Been Born Again
8. The One You Love
9. Don't Give Up
10. Sea Cruise

Windeagle
06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's my list for No Fun Aloud:

1. All Those Lies
2. The One You Love
3. I Volunteer
4. That Girl
5. I Found Somebody
6. Party Town
7. She Can't Let Go
8. I've Been Born Again
9. Don't Give Up
10. Sea Cruise

TOYL would have been much lower had I not seen it live recently. I hear it with different ears now. It was my biggest surprise of the show.

Glennhoney
06-20-2012, 04:55 PM
..always loved this album..

Freypower
06-20-2012, 06:37 PM
1. That Girl
2. The One You Love
3. I Volunteer
4. All Those Lies
5. Don't Give Up
6. I Found Somebody
7. I've Been Born Again
8. She Can't Let Go
9. Partytown
10. Sea Cruise

It is now my third favourite album, because After Hours is second.

GlennLover
06-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Here is my list at this moment. However, other than TOYL being 1st, the others are all so close that they could be in a completely different order, depending on my mood at the time.

1.The One You Love
2. Sea Cruise
3.That Girl
4. I Volunteer
5. Partytown
6. She Can't Let Go
7. All Those Lies
8. I've Been Born Again
9. I Found Somebody
10. Don't Give Up

Grey Sadler
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Dumb question...was this album ever released on CD in the US?
I'm having a heck of a time finding it...Amazon offers an import CD from $26.93 and a 1994 release for...$59.99 (and used/library copy to boot!) ?!?! :-?

VAisForEagleLovers
04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Dumb question...was this album ever released on CD in the US?
I'm having a heck of a time finding it...Amazon offers an import CD from $26.93 and a 1994 release for...$59.99 (and used/library copy to boot!) ?!?! :-?

Yes. I have one!

If you can't find it new, look for it in a used bookstore or music shop. A place where you can see it before buying it and perhaps even try it out.

Grey Sadler
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes. I have one!

If you can't find it new, look for it in a used bookstore or music shop. A place where you can see it before buying it and perhaps even try it out.

I have been looking here voraciously...our big local used store actually had it...on LP though (and I have no way to convert right now, ack!) Might need to take another run down to McKay's in Knoxville (where I looked last fall, couldn't find it there either but stocked up on some others I only had on LP)...

prayfordaylight
04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I got my CD copy in Best Buy years ago...when they still had CDs.

Ebay is always a good place for CDs. I got some of Glenn's other albums on CD that way.

Outlawman13
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
LOL I just got this c.d. today and I have to say it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!! I'm loving every single song on it and the songs are incredible. I don't know which one is my favvie one though. Mine came from Japan. LOL import.

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
I have it on Vinyl and CD and I must say it is an exceptionally good album. I love pretty much all of the songs on it. Enjoy it!

Outlawman13
04-11-2013, 05:18 PM
OHHH I'm enjoying it like crazy!!!!! LOL. Love it!!!!

sodascouts
05-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Today marks the 31st anniversary of the release of No Fun Aloud!

It's my second favorite album of Glenn's and I love it! It also contained his first solo hit, "The One You Love," which has a terrific video (see the second one below).

Enjoy some videos to celebrate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUw8GjHRxzE

Outlawman13
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Happy 31st birthday to Glenn's first solo album. OHHH how do I love this c.d.!!! The songs are just beautiful and Glenn's voice is super incredible!!!

Houston Baby
05-28-2013, 01:09 PM
I love this album! I thought for his first solo venture it was EXCELLENT!! Though I admit at the time I was heartbroken because it looked like the end of my favorite band. 31 years - WOW!

CONGRATULATIONS - "NO FUN ALOUD"

:thumbsup:

Thirsty&Hot
06-07-2013, 01:35 AM
This is my favorite Glenn solo album! I have it on vinyl.
my favorite song is I Found Somebody, but it's all around great!

Shadowland07
03-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Went to Half Priced books today and found a copy of Glenn's "I Found Somebody" single. Pretty stoked to have found it.

03-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Good for you, SL! I've said this before and I don't mind repeating myself, but if anyone hasn't ever heard this album and can find it, you should buy it. If you are even a casual fan of Glenn, then I don't think you'd be disappointed. Although it's a big departure from his work in the Eagles, it's a really fun, high-quality album, IMHO.

UndertheWire
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
It's the most I've ever paid for a CD but no regrets. I decided it was balanced by all the CDs I was able to buy second-hand. My favourite tracks are the ones that aren't on any "Best of" compilations. (Same with Strange Weather).

sodascouts
05-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Reviving this thread to once again wish a happy birthday to No Fun Aloud!

05-28-2014, 09:32 PM

I just love this awesome album. Right now I'm still celebrating the anniversary of Don's Inside Job, but this one is definitely going in my CD player next.

GlennLover
05-28-2014, 10:55 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY No Fun Aloud!!!

shunlvswx
05-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Happy 32nd Birthday to No Fun Aloud. We're about the same age. I'm two years older.

12-07-2014, 01:00 PM
We were talking about No Fun Aloud and, specifically, Partytown, in another thread and it got me to thinking about the Monstertones. Rather than take that thread way off topic, I thought I'd post my thoughts here. According to the album's liner notes, these are the "Monstertones" on Partytown:

featuring: Duane Monstertone, Leon Blazek, Freddy Buffett, Urban Azoff, Pee Wee Solters, Marion Kinde, Buckley Wideface, Tommy Obnozzio, Jingles Squirrel Heart, Floyd Tempchin, Ollie Blair, Hugh Gotteny, Peter Rennert, John McEnroe and Peter Fleming.

I'm assuming these are Freddy (Jimmy) Buffett, Urban (Irving) Azoff, Pee Wee (Larry) Solters, and Floyd (Jack) Tempchin, and, of course, there is John McEnroe.

Can anyone shed any light on who any of the others may be? I'm wondering if Glenn is Duane Monstertone? Tommy Obnozzio could be Tommy Nixon, but I don't have a clue about the rest of them. Any thoughts?

UndertheWire
12-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Leon (Allan) Blazek, producer. Peter Fleming and Peter Rennert were tennis players.

12-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks UTW. I was reading the liner notes after my post, so I did catch that Leon Blazek was Allan. However, I didn't know about the tennis players other than McEnroe.

BTW - The liner notes for this album are very entertaining. If anyone wants to check them out ...

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/nfa/linernotes.htm

Shadowland07
01-26-2015, 05:14 PM
I know I've asked this before (probably last year) but anyone know why No Fun Aloud isn't on iTunes? IMO it's his best solo album and the one I listen to the most.

sodascouts
01-26-2015, 06:56 PM
No Fun Aloud was released on a different label - Elektra/Asylum, which is now owned by Warner Music Group. Different labels have different agreements with services like iTunes, and I guess that's what the hold up is. You can't stream it via a paid service, either.

I also imagine the fact that it was on a different label is why the greatest hits Glenn has released always contain the version of it from the Live in Dublin album, which was on MCA. Less messy that way. ;)

Still,there are so many terrific songs on this that it's a shame it's basically withheld from the public unless they buy secondhand or get it by "other means" - which means Glenn isn't getting any royalties from this fantastic album anymore.

Screw you, Warner! Make this album available legally!!!

UndertheWire
01-27-2015, 07:40 AM
I was able to buy a new CD last year - the most I've ever paid for a CD* - but the stock must be running low as the price is now at least double what I paid. It's a similar story for Henley's "I can't stand still" which was also an Elektra/Asylum release. If I was at Warners, I'd be thinking of cashing in on the success of the documentary by reissuing the first solo efforts of the band-members.

The CD lives in my car and is probably the one I play most, so it giving a good return on investment.

* I paid around £16. In contrast, I was able to buy the 4-disc Eagles "Selected Works" for £7 and a 20-track Hall&Oates greatest hits for £3.

01-29-2015, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up, UTW. OMG - I had no idea that the price of this CD had increased so much. I checked Amazon and they have a very limited supply available at the cost of approximately $30. By contrast, the 2-disc Long Road Out of Eden CD sold for less than $12 when it was released. I can't recall exactly but I believe the band members most recent solo releases - Expando, After Hours, and Analog Man all sold for less than $15.

AlreadyGone95
05-28-2015, 12:51 AM
I do believe that today marks the 33rd anniversary of this album. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I've not heard this album yet. It's the only one Glenn's solo albums not available for streaming on Spotify. :brickwall: However, an online friend that I buy vinyl records from on a monthly basis has found this album on vinyl, along with other Eagles related albums. He sent the records out today, and I should be playing this album in a week or so, for the first time. :D. :partytime:
He charged me $4 for the album. Did I get a good price?

GlennLover
05-28-2015, 10:31 AM
I do believe that today marks the 33rd anniversary of this album. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I've not heard this album yet. It's the only one Glenn's solo albums not available for streaming on Spotify. :brickwall: However, an online friend that I buy vinyl records from on a monthly basis has found this album on vinyl, along with other Eagles related albums. He sent the records out today, and I should be playing this album in a week or so, for the first time. :D. :partytime:
He charged me $4 for the album. Did I get a good price?

As I started to read this post I was thinking to myself that I must get out my vinyl copy to play today in honour of the anniversary. We just got a new amp & speakers for our turntable so NFA will be the next LP I will listen to. Then I read that you will be listening to it on vinyl as well, AG95. I think you got a fair price. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

AlreadyGone95
05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
As I started to read this post I was thinking to myself that I must get out my vinyl copy to play today in honour of the anniversary. We just got a new amp & speakers for our turntable so NFA will be the next LP I will listen to. Then I read that you will be listening to it on vinyl as well, AG95. I think you got a fair price. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Lol, great minds think alike? :hilarious:

I'm sure that I will as well. The day that it comes in will be a party day for me, for sure! I'll just have to decide what album to play first. There's 2 other Glenn albums (Allnighter and Soul Searching), Don Henley's first 3 solo albums, 3 Eagles albums(self titled, On the Border, and One of these Nights), and 4 of Joe's solo albums, coming in with No Fun Aloud!

GlennLover
05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Lol, great minds think alike? :hilarious:

I'm sure that I will as well. The day that it comes in will be a party day for me, for sure! I'll just have to decide what album to play first. There's 2 other Glenn albums (Allnighter and Soul Searching), Don's first 3 solo albums, 3 Eagles albums(self titled, On the Border, and One of these Nights), and 4 of Joe's solo albums, coming in with No Fun Aloud!

Hmmm, big decision! Of course Iwould go with Glenn first. :)

I've got the album playing now. The One You Love is currently playing. It's probably my favourite of Glenn's solo songs. Sounds even better with the new equipment!

UndertheWire
05-28-2015, 11:28 AM
I had the CD on in the car this morning. My favourite changes but "I Volunteer" is a frontrunner.

Compare with the price of it on CD, the vinyl price is very reasonable.

sodascouts
05-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Fantastic album!

AlreadyGone95
05-30-2015, 04:39 PM
My copy came in today! :partytime: I can't wait to play it tomorrow (I'm not gonna be home until then to listen to it)

http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/1433017984165_zpsww6ryhkz.jpg~320x480

As a bonus, my friend sent this poster of the album cover. I'll be putting it up on my wall.
http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/1433018314435_zpsrwisyumw.jpg~320x480

Shadowland07
06-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Anyone know where I can get this album? It's not on iTunes and really don't feel like paying $30 on Amazon for the cd. I have the LP but am wanting a mp3 copy.

sodascouts
06-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Ugh. This is why ALL OUT OF PRINT ALBUMS SHOULD BE ON ITUNES.

I just took a quick look and can't find any that would be under $30 with shipping included, not even on eBay. Perhaps you should keep an eye out there, though. You might get lucky.

If you have a lot of vinyls you want to convert to CD/MP3, you can get a record player with a USB port like I have. The quality isn't the greatest but it's better than nothing.

Glennsallnighter
06-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Look on eBay too, sometimes people but out their collections and you can get a nearly new copy for s few dollars/ pounds

AlreadyGone95
06-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Look on eBay too, sometimes people but out their collections and you can get a nearly new copy for s few dollars/ pounds

That's how I got my copy. A guy sold his Eagles/solo albums collection to one of my online friends, who then sold them to me for $4 each.
It may take awhile, but keep on looking on amazon and ebay. Also check out discogs. Alot of my friends find albums on there that they want for reasonable prices.

Funk 50
06-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Anyone know where I can get this album? It's not on iTunes and really don't feel like paying $30 on Amazon for the cd. I have the LP but am wanting a mp3 copy.

Did you get my private message Shadowland07?

I wonder how Glen and/or his record company justify the unavailability of this album. It does contain what he described as his best song (The One You Love).

VAisForEagleLovers
06-07-2015, 10:17 AM
ShadowLand, when I can't find what I want, back in VA I had several used bookstores that sold used vinyl and CDs, too. Some let you listen right there in the store to ensure they work before buying them. Hunt one up, you never know what other gems you might find, including DVDs and even VHS tapes.

UndertheWire
06-07-2015, 01:34 PM
I wonder how Glen and/or his record company justify the unavailability of this album. It does contain what he described as his best song (The One You Love).
"his record company" - that should give you a clue. NFA was released on Elektra/Aslyum and then Glenn changed record companies. There were no tracks from NFA from his Solo Collection and on a later compilation they used the live version of "The One You Love". There's an interview from when Glenn was promoting The Allnighter where he mentions being dropped by Elektra.

ETA: I was wrong. The Solo Collection does have "The One You Love", so there goes my argument.

sodascouts
06-08-2015, 01:47 PM
True, but I think your argument overall is legit. As you noted, the version on The Millennium Collection is live - the one from the Dublin album released along with the video. That's not on the Geffen label. It's the only live track so its inclusion instead of the studio cut is quite telling.

It's no coincidence that the only album released on the Geffen label is also the only album not available for digital download.

I have no idea how they justify it, unless the record company refuses to allow any of its material on iTunes to encourage CD sales of newer stuff, or the record company is holding certain material hostage as leverage to get a higher percent of the profits from iTunes. If one of those is the case - and I suspect so - the unavailability of Glenn's out of print album is collateral damage in a power play.

AlreadyGone95
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
It's also the only album of Glenn's not available for streaming on Spotify. I would say that it's because of the record company not wanting the albums released by them to be available either on digital or for streaming, but all 7 of (the) Eagles' albums from the debut- Live ate available for streaming on Spotify. I don't know about iTunes because I don't use it. Also, all of Don Henley's albums are available on Spotify.
:headscratch:

ETA: how many of the Eagles' albums were released on Asylum?

Freypower
06-09-2015, 06:04 PM
It's also the only album of Glenn's not available for streaming on Spotify. I would say that it's because of the record company not wanting the albums released by them to be available either on digital or for streaming, but all 7 of (the) Eagles' albums from the debut- Live ate available for streaming on Spotify. I don't know about iTunes because I don't use it. Also, all of Don Henley's albums are available on Spotify.
:headscratch:

ETA: how many of the Eagles' albums were released on Asylum?

All of them except Long Road Out Of Eden which the band released on its own 'label'.

You can get all Glenn's albums except No Fun Aloud from iTunes.

Shadowland07
06-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Did you get my private message Shadowland07?

Yes I did! Thanks Funk 50!!

UndertheWire
01-23-2016, 03:31 PM
Yesterday, someone posted that No Fun Aloud was available on Spotify and today an mp3 download became available from Amazon.

Outlawman13
01-23-2016, 06:51 PM
That is great news for sure!! I love this album!! I've Been Born Again is my favvie track

sodascouts
05-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Glenn's first solo album was released on this date in 1982. I love this album! It's my second favorite after Strange Weather. What a strong start to his solo career!

UndertheWire
05-28-2016, 10:29 AM
What better excuse is there to put it on right now?

I listen to that Boston bootleg a lot and that has 8 out of 10 NFA songs so it's going to be strange to go back to the studio recordings.

ETA: I tried playing both live and studio recordings simultaneously and I can confirm that Glenn stuck with the "playing it like the record" formula. Apart from small variations in timing and a few extended solos, they were nearly identical.

shunlvswx
05-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Happy 34th Birthday to No Fun Aloud.

The One You Love is my favorite.

sodascouts
05-28-2016, 11:30 AM
There's just something about "That Girl" that makes me melt. So romantic.

UndertheWire
05-28-2016, 12:08 PM
I love "That Girl" - the only hesitation is it's dedicted to Janie and has the line "I'm going to love you to my dying day" and that makes me sad even though he found happiness later with Cindy.

"I Volunteer" is a near-perfect almost-love song, especially as sung by Glenn. (Then I pictured it sung by a co-worker who declared his love for me and I shudder)

Funk 50
05-28-2016, 12:31 PM
I listen to that Boston bootleg a lot and that has 8 out of 10 NFA songs so it's going to be strange to go back to the studio recordings.

I recently found the Boston bootleg, I haven't listened to it yet. I'm not familiar with Cool Jerk. I haven't listened to it yet.

It took me awhile to get Glenn's No Fun Aloud album. I wasn't happy with him deserting the Eagles in the early eighties. I've enjoyed listening to it over the years. The One You Love is an essential Frey solo track in any company.

https://bootlegkingdom.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Glenn%20Frey

UndertheWire
05-28-2016, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I should have posted this, again.
http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Glenn-Frey-Live-in-Boston-1982.mp3

I love Cook Jerk. He introduces his band as "The Cool Jerks" and says they named themselves. Certainly a cool band and they have good rapport with Glenn.

05-28-2016, 02:06 PM
HAPPY 34TH ANNIVERSARY TO NO FUN ALOUD!!!

I absolutely love this album and it is also my second favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums. There is something for everyone on it. My favorite track is All Those Lies, which I consider to be grossly underrated. And unlike most, The One You Love is my least favorite ballad. Although I do like the song a whole lot, I prefer I Volunteer because of the emotion Glenn pours into the song.

AlreadyGone95
05-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Happy anniversary to No Fun Aloud!

Like most of ya'll, NFA is my 2nd favorite Glenn solo album after Strange Weather. My favorite song is probably Partytown. All Those Lies , The One You Love, and I Volunteer are some other favorites.

I'm glad that this album is now available on Spotify. I don't have to use the record player every time I want to listen to it!

buffyfan145
05-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Happy 34th to "No Fun Aloud"!!! :D I love this album so much too and like AG so glad it's on Spotify since I can't listen to my parents cassette tape anymore. LOL It's such a great album. I remember my Mom playing her keyboard along with "The One You Love", and us teasing my Dad he was trying to style his hair off of Glenn's on the cover back in the 80s. LOL Also love "I Volunteer" and that song is on my playlist for my new novel I'm working on (it's the one I posted about before that has a ton of Eagles songs on it and this is the Glenn solo song I mentioned) as it fits so much with the story I'm creating from my main male character's POV. :D

sodascouts
05-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Too funny about your dad's hair, Amanda! lol

Count me among those who adore "I Volunteer." Such vulnerability and passion in the vocal, and a great melody.

Freypower
05-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I should have posted this, again.
http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Glenn-Frey-Live-in-Boston-1982.mp3

I love Cook Jerk. He introduces his band as "The Cool Jerks" and says they named themselves. Certainly a cool band and they have good rapport with Glenn.

Can these files be downloaded & separated into tracks?

Funk 50
05-29-2016, 07:07 AM
Can these files be downloaded & separated into tracks?

Right click the downloaded file, select the open option.

If you haven't got a program that will open the zip file, I can recommend Peazip.
Search and download Peazip. It's free.
Peazip will open the download as a folder of mp3 files. 8-)

UndertheWire
05-29-2016, 08:21 AM
If I open the link (in Firefox) and then right-click on the play bar, I'm given the option to "Save Audio as..." and then I save as type "mp3 format sound". This saves it as a single .mp3 file. I haven't tried to split it into tracks.

Annoying Twit
05-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Just listened to it on spotify. It's a good collection of songs, with a good amount of variation. The 80s is sneaking into the production, but it shows that if they had wanted to make an 80s Eagles album, they most certainly could have.

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Jack Tempchin wrote this on his facebook, an imo, it's well-said.

Glenn Frey (https://www.facebook.com/GlennFreyOfficial/) released solo LP 'No Fun Aloud (https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Fun-Aloud/109690919057721)' on this date in 1982. As his first solo effort, it exemplified Glenn's ability to forge his own path after leaving an iconic band. Instead of repeating the Eagles (https://www.facebook.com/EaglesBand/) country-rock sound, he reverted to his Detroit roots, creating his own blend of rock, pop and soul. I co-wrote 6 of the 10 songs, including both top 40 singles, "The One You Love" and "I Found Somebody". He soul lives on in his songs.

shunlvswx
05-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Happy 35th Birthday to Glenn's very first solo album, No Fun Aloud.

Delilah
05-29-2017, 09:38 PM
This is possibly my favorite Glenn solo album. My favorite songs are I Found Somebody and That Girl. The two weak songs are Partytown (although it's not a bad song; I prefer Sea Cruise as an upbeat fun number) and Don't Give Up, which I find somewhat annoying. I like everything else. Overall, a very good debut album.

Happy birthday, No Fun Aloud!

FreyFollower
05-29-2017, 11:41 PM
My favorites are: That Girl, The One You Love, I Found Somebody, and I Volunteer. Love watching Glenn rocking out on Partytown on that Japanese concert!
Happy 35th No Fun Aloud!

Funk 50
05-30-2017, 06:24 AM
I never really liked Partytown but it had a very interesting list of backing vocalists, that amply displays Glenn's love of nicknames. I guess the tennis players are the only genuine names;

from No Fun Aloud LP sleeve credits

Partytown (G Frey & J Tempchin)

For all my friends at the Jerome Bar and diehard party people everywhere.
Hopefully, you all know that you can't party all the time, but when you do,
play this song.
By the way, you got any?

Lead Guitar & Piano: Glenn Frey

Background Vocals by The Monstertones,
featuring: Duane Monstertone, Leon Blazek, Freddy Buffett, Urban Azoff, Pee Wee Solters, Marion Kinde,
Buckley Wideface, Tommy Obnozzio, Jingles Squirrel Heart, Floyd Tempchin, Ollie Blair, Hugh Gotteny,
Peter Rennert, John McEnroe and Peter Fleming.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm a few days late, but Happy 35th anniversary to No Fun Aloud!! I honestly think that it may be second favorite of Glenn's solo albums

sodascouts
06-08-2017, 04:33 PM
So I was away when this album's birthday occurred but not to be remiss....

HAPPY 35th BIRTHDAY to NO FUN ALOUD!!!
Dang, I cannot believe it has hit 35!

There are so many good songs but lately, my favorite has been "That Girl."

Glennsallnighter
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Its an exceptionally good and totally underrated album IMHO. I love all the songs on it but I have to say 'She Can't Let Go' really pulls at my heartstrings. I've loved that one for years

Dawn
06-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Love all the songs on this record but If I had to choose my most favorite it would be The One You Love. In fact was just singing it the other day acapella, lol!

Pippinwhite
06-11-2017, 08:43 PM
I love this one, too. "That Girl" and "I Volunteer" just make me sigh. "Partytown" just makes me laugh.

Listening to "The Allnighter" (the song) right now. Am I the only who gets a little cross-eyed listening to this song?
:wink: :drool:

Glennhoney
06-11-2017, 09:55 PM
This was one GREAT album!!:heart::heart::heart:

Pippinwhite
06-17-2017, 01:10 PM
It just hit me: Dirt Band fans will recognize "The Jerome" reference in NFA. The NGDB released a song called "Bowlegs" in 1976.

In the outro, Jeff and Fadden are yakking back and forth and Jeff says, "Well right now, we're gonna do a little headin' on back ourselves. Head on down to the local waterin' hole and take advantage of that happy hour."

Fadden: "We're gonna go to the Jerome?"

Jeff: "Let's go to the Jerome, man."

Fadden: "All right!"

Jeff: "They got a beer down there with my name on it."

Fadden: "They got a beer called Jeff?"

Must have been the local musician hangout in their part of LA.

Just an interesting little tidbit on how paths continue to cross.

Pippinwhite
02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found a good interview with Glenn after NFA was released.
Enjoy!
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~markowit/interviews/gf/oui/oui.html

My My
02-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Thanks Pippin! Great article, I hadn't read it before. It tells a lot about how thoughts change throughout the years. I love how he talks about being 39 and having a beer belly and still singing Eagles songs. I'm sure in his wildest dreams he never imagined being in his late 60's singing Eagles songs to huge, adoring crowds. When you're young, you can never see yourself being older and still being mostly the same person you've always been!

UndertheWire
02-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Looking back at early posts in the thread, I see some grumbling about the banter at the start of "I've Been Born Again". If you listen to the original by Johnnie Taylor, you'll hear that it's a straight copy. Clearly, Glenn thought it was an important part of the song and he even kept the banter when performing live.

Here's the Johnnie Taylor version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEWNIMW-se8

Delilah
02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Thank you, Pippin, I’ve read it before (that quote about the beer belly and singing TIE always stood out to me, lol) but it’s nice to re-visit. :-)

sodascouts
02-25-2018, 10:01 PM
I had no idea! Thanks for the info, UTW!

sodascouts
05-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Happy birthday to No Fun Aloud!!

Pippinwhite
05-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Happy, happy to NFA! "I'll Volunteer" still makes me melt!

sodascouts
05-28-2018, 02:07 PM
The one that gets me is the magnificent "That Girl." One of my favorite Glenn songs. It's so romantic and melodic, and his voice has this vulnerability to it even when he's singing with strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKDeBtKeTQ

05-28-2018, 02:08 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO NO FUN ALOUD!!!

I absolutely love this album. There is not a bad song on it, IMO and I love it's diversity - everything from the fun and energetic 'Partytown' and 'Sea Cruise' to the meltworthy 'I Volunteer' and 'That Girl' and everything else in between. Even though I love every song, my personal favorite is 'All Those Lies'.

CAinOH
05-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Ah, the one that eludes me...

Happy Anniversary, NFA!

Pippinwhite
05-28-2018, 04:49 PM
@CA: It's on Spotify in tota! :D

CAinOH
05-28-2018, 05:18 PM
@CA: It's on Spotify in tota! :D

Don't do Spotify, but I have been known to keep it "permanently" checked out on Hoopla. ;)

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 06:30 PM
I have always loved NFA and thought it was a great first album for Glenn. I am still upset no songs are on "Above The Clouds".

Pippin, thanks for the article. I have seen it before and that beer belly quote cracks me up. I have always wondered what he and Don thought of all those statements/quotes about NEVER getting back together.

groupie2686
05-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Happy anniversary, NFA! I still need to get this album!

New Kid In Town
05-28-2018, 08:06 PM
I used to have the album but somewhere along the line it was lost or disappeared. I would love to buy it again but I know it is hard to find.

CAinOH
05-28-2018, 08:36 PM
I used to have the album but somewhere along the line it was lost or disappeared. I would love to buy it again but I know it is hard to find.

Not necessarily hard to find. Vinyl is easy to pick up. For some reason, there have been bidding wars for the CD on eBay. The good news about that is the higher prices are bringing out more CDs for sale and prices seem to be trending downward now.

shunlvswx
05-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Happy 36th Birthday to No Fun Aloud.

I did listen to this album one day and its not bad. Some songs I don't like.

CAinOH
07-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Not necessarily hard to find. Vinyl is easy to pick up. For some reason, there have been bidding wars for the CD on eBay. The good news about that is the higher prices are bringing out more CDs for sale and prices seem to be trending downward now.

I know it's bad form to quote my own post, but for those of you looking for the "No Fun Aloud" CD, there is good news. There are two listed on Amazon for $13 and change:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000002H12/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

There used to be three, but one of those is now mine! By the time I used my points and a gift card, I paid 42 cents. An it's great.

Ah, that completes my collection...

I was so happy to find the CD for 42 cents net, i bought this off eBay with the money I saved on the CD!

shunlvswx
05-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Happy 37th Birthday to Glenn's very first solo album. No Fun Aloud.

sodascouts
05-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Absolutely love this album! It's my second favorite. Such a freaking shame how it gets left off every Greatest Hits album. Something's up with that; I am absolutely sure something's up with that behind the scenes.

05-28-2019, 08:41 PM
This ^^^ is almost exactly what I was going to write, soda .... great minds???

Brooke
05-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Absolutely love this album! It's my second favorite. Such a freaking shame how it gets left off every Greatest Hits album. Something's up with that; I am absolutely sure something's up with that behind the scenes.

I wonder what? Strange!

sodascouts
05-29-2019, 08:51 PM
I wonder what? Strange!

Some legal restriction or financial demands made by the Asylum record label perhaps (The Allnighter and all subsequent solo albums were recorded on the MCA label rather than Asylum right up until After Hours)? Something like Asylum owning the masters and Glenn being unwilling to come to terms with them or something, so he does workarounds like using the live version of "The One You Love" and just ignores the rest? I'm just completely speculating, folks, and maybe I'm way off base, but I do think it's something akin to that, where some kind of restriction or financial issue is keeping the music off any Greatest Hits collection rather than it being an artistic choice.

shunlvswx
05-29-2019, 09:59 PM
That's soo sad. I still don't know why Glenn and Don went with Asylum for their solo career. They both had problems with them.

Even if its speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason. Luckily Don didn't have this problem with his music, but that sad about No Fun Aloud.

Don't trust a guy who burned you before. IMO It looks like a payback from what the Eagles did in the 70s when they sued Asylum for their rights on their songs.

CAinOH
05-29-2019, 10:07 PM
My second favorite Glenn album as well... But, depending on the mood, I'll reach for it first.

shunlvswx
05-29-2020, 07:17 AM
Happy Belated 38th Birthday to No Fun Aloud on yesterday.

sodascouts
05-30-2020, 12:30 AM
Love this album!

05-30-2020, 12:13 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO NO FUN ALOUD!!!

I adore this album - and as I have often said ... My apologies to Glenn, but I have fun when I listen to this album. Just can't help myself. :wink: :grin:

And I was scrolling through this thread, I saw this post of Soda's from several years ago. I thought I would quote it for those of you who may not have ever read the liner notes for the album. Here's Glenn in his own words ...

Here's something cute - Glenn's little comments on each song, as found in the liner notes:

I Found Somebody
Well, what d'ya know? A happy song! In 1971, on my first trip to Alabama, a guitar player named Eddie Hinton showed me the fingering for what I call the Bobby Womack Chinese soul licks. I am ever grateful.
Bass: Bryan Garofalo
Guitar: Josh Leo
Lead Guitar and Organ: G.F.
Synthesizer: David "Hawk" Wolinski
Tenor Sax: Al Garth

The One You Love
Jack and I were on a roll. We had 4 or 5 good songs written and 3 more started. Sometimes when you're going good there are unwritten songs out in the cosmos who get jealous of the songs you're writing and say, "Hey, why don't you write me too!" This song came knocking in just that way.
Guitars, Electric Piano & Bass: G.F.
Saxophone: Ernie Watts, Jim Horn

Partytown
For all my friends at the Jerome Bar and diehard party people everywhere. Hopefully, you all know that you can't party all the time, but when you do, play this song. By the way, you got any?
Lead Guitar and Piano: G.F.

I Volunteer
JACK TEMPCHIN / BILL BOONE
Jack always sends me tapes of his new songs. I found this one in the mailbox one morning and flipped. Hats off to Richard Stekol who came up with the guitar parts Kootch and I play.
Bass: Roberto Piñon
Guitar: Dan Kortchmar
Lead Guitar: G.F.
Background Vocals: Mary Levy, Tom Kelly, Bill Champlin and G.F.
NIGHT RIVER PUBLISHING / DILL DOUGH BEAN MUSIC ASCAP
Marcy Levy appears courtesy of Epic Records.

I've Been Born Again
DON DAVIS / JAMES DEAN
I've always loved this song, originally recorded by Johnny Taylor in the early 70's. This version features the Heart Attack Horns, Tom Nixon and my Trans Am.
Drums: John Robinson
Guitars and Electronic Piano: G.F.
Horns by the Heart Attack horns
Trumpets: Lee Thornburg, John Berry
Saxophones: Bill Bergman, Jim Colie
Baritone: Gregg Smith
Horns arranged by Lee Thornburg and Jim Ed Norman
GROOVESVILLE MUSIC BMI

Sea Cruise
HUEY SMITH / JOHN VINCENT
Woke up with a minor hangover in Muscle Shoals, needed to feel better. Took 3 Excedrin, opened a beer and said, "We're doing Sea Cruise today with live horns." Felt better right away.
Piano: Clayton Ivey
Saxophones: Harvey Thompson, Ronnie Eades
COTILLION MUSIC INC. BMI

That Girl
GLENN FREY / BOB SEGER
A straight forward love song from two native Detroiters, featuring a beautiful string chart by Jim Ed Norman. For Janie.
Drums & Bells: Roger Hawkins
Electric Guitar: Duncan Cameron
Acoustic Guitar: Wayne Perkins
Electric Piano: G.F.
RED CLOUD MUSIC / GEAR PUBLSHING CO. ASCAP

All Those Lies
GLENN FREY
Never cheat on your mate, especially when you're too high to cover your tracks. Lies beget lies. The nice thing about the truth is, it's the only story you have to remember.
Organ and Synthesizer: Hawk
Lead Guitar and Electric Piano: G. F.
Background Vocals: Oren Waters, Julia Waters, and Maxine Waters
RED CLOUD MUSIC ASCAP

She Can't Let Go
A sad Spanish sounding song about a girl who can't get over an old flame. The bass part is played on a guitarõn.
All other instruments: G.F.

Don't Give Up
Originally written as the theme for Monday Night Football, but somehow things didn't work out. I still practice my Howard Cosell impersonation during the intro.
Synthesizers: Hawk
Guitars, Clavinet, Synthesizers: G.F.
Additional Keyboards: Allan Blazek
Background Vocals: Oren Waters, Julia Waters, Maxine Waters and G.F.

KingWalsh
06-02-2020, 04:15 AM
I know I’m late but “No fun Aloud” , is well fun! My faves are “the one you love”, “I found somebody”, “that girl”, “I volunteer”. Happy Anniversary!

Elle81
01-18-2021, 02:00 PM
OMG. I love "The one you love" In all honesty i had forgotten that this is one of Glenn's songs! :heart:

AlreadyGone95
01-18-2021, 05:14 PM
OMG. I love "The one you love" In all honesty i had forgotten that this is one of Glenn's songs! :heart:

Even better, there's a music video for the song. Soda has it available to download to watch, as well as a video synopsis, lyrics, and screenshots:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/oneyoulove.htm.

Elle81
01-18-2021, 10:38 PM
Sweet!

06-05-2021, 03:05 PM
I'm quite late with this, but I meant to come here and acknowledge that May 28th was the 39th anniversary of the release of No Fun Aloud.

It slipped my mind, so albeit very late, I don't want to overlook this awesome album.

FreyFollower
06-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Love "No Fun Aloud"! A great record! The album shots and other press photos for it are a riot!:grin: ​Happy Birthday!