PDA

View Full Version : Photos from December Houston Show

thealexanderhome
05-29-2009, 12:40 AM
A few members have posted some of the pictures that I took at the concert in the forum. I really appreciate the compliments and didn't realize that there was a forum with huge fans. I thought I would share the full set of photos that I took at the concert. You can see them all here (Use the Slide Show)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justalexanders/sets/72157610649079026/

I'm not a professional photographer. I brought my DSLR and 200mm lens to the concert not knowing whether I would be able to get it in. We were 16th row center for the show - awesome seats. I used my USMC training to cloak the long lens under a tee shirt and got some good shots. The show was truly amazing. I've seen a lot of "vintage" bands and they all seem a bit duct taped together. The Eagles sounded great, looked like they were having fun together and put on an amazing show - no different than I would expect to see in the 70's.

If you like the photos, please just recognize the copyright on them. If you use them, you do need to attribute them to me and tied them to the site above. If you're interested in a larger photo file that can be printed, please leave a comment on the flickr site and I will eventually get around to putting up a file that will print well up to 24X36 for the ones requested.

You might also note that the editors at Wikipedia selected photos I took to be the official pictures on pages for the Eagles (the band) as well as each member's page. Quite an honor!

ticky
05-29-2009, 01:03 AM
A few members have posted some of the pictures that I took at the concert in the forum.

That'd be me for starters...

I really appreciate the compliments and didn't realize that there was a forum with huge fans. I thought I would share the full set of photos that I took at the concert.

FULLY and completely deserved compliments. Your pictures are amazing and thank you so much for letting us share them!

I'm not a professional photographer. I brought my DSLR and 200mm lens to the concert not knowing whether I would be able to get it in. We were 16th row center for the show - awesome seats. I used my USMC training to cloak the long lens under a tee shirt and got some good shots.

Maybe you should be a professional! If you check out Maleah's pictures (somewhere in the mele' here) You both are amazing concert photographers. I can only hope I'll be able to think about taking pictures during the concert. I get a little carried away in such situations. LOVE the idea that your Marine training helped you smuggle your camera in! EXCELLENT use of said training!!

The show was truly amazing. I've seen a lot of "vintage" bands and they all seem a bit duck taped together. The Eagles sounded great, looked like they were having fun together and put on an amazing show - no different than I would expect to see in the 70's.

No different then you'd expect in the '70s *SIGH* if only.... I plan on starting a "BRING BACK THE 3E PARTIES!!" movement. All those interested, jump on the band wagon.

If you like the photos, please just recognize the copyright on them. If you use them, you do need to attribute them to me and tied them to the site above.

Will do...

If you're interested in a larger photo file that can be printed, please leave a comment on the flickr site and I will eventually get around to putting up a file that will print well up to 24X36 for the ones requested.

Thanks!!

You might also note that the editors at Wikipedia selected photos I took to be the official pictures on pages for the Eagles (the band) as well as each member's page. Quite an honor!

too cool! *G* congrats and good work!

welcome to The Border btw...

TimothyBFan
05-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Welcome from me also!!! Those are gorgeous pictures!! You have quite the talent for not being professional! I would also like to thank you for sharing them with us all here!

anne-o-gg
05-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Those ARE some great shots and I appreciate them - I do find it ironic that we are asked to "follow the rules" about copyright (as we should - no denying that) meanwhile, you totally broke the rules about bringing a camera...:headscratch: and even give tips on how to "sneak and use a camera" at a concert...

You did get some great shots, I must admit...

EagleLady
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Those ARE some great shots and I appreciate them - I do find it ironic that we are asked to "follow the rules" about copyright (as we should - no denying that) meanwhile, you totally broke the rules about bringing a camera...:headscratch: and even give tips on how to "sneak and use a camera" at a concert...

You did get some great shots, I must admit...

Hey, You do what you do to get great shots, if you gotta break the rules, so be it, no use complaining.

anne-o-gg
05-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Interesting perspective, EL...

I wasn't complaining - I was just pointing out that it's interesting that one who breaks the rules in one aspect wants others to obey them in another...it's ok to break the rules until it effects you is line of reasoning, I guess...

For the record, I wasn't trying to be snippy - it was simply a funny observation...

EagleLady
05-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh, I know, I wasn't either.

MikeA
05-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm only midlin honest myself. I'm honest when it suits me <LOL> But I was wondering what settings our photographer used to get such good quality photos in such restricted light. Back in the 35mm days, I would have used something like ASA 400 film with a fairly slow shutter speed.

Times have changed. THEALEXANDERHOME used the following with his digital 200mm telephoto lens:

Date & Time Taken:
Date: 2008:12:01
Time: 23:01:34
Device Mfg / Model: Canon: Canon EOS 30D
Exposure Time: 1/100 Second

I'm impressed. I'm not sure 1/100 sec would have been slow enough with ASA 400 film.

Compare this to Maleah's picture settings:

Date & Time Taken:
Date: 2008:09:24
Time: 11:26:36
Device Mfg / Model: Canon: Canon PowerShot SX100 IS
Exposure Time: 1/40 Second
Aperture / Fstop: F4.3
Focal Length (zoom): 60mm
ISO Speed: 200

That's more like the settings I would have HAD to use.

Both Photographers captured some excellent pictures and both deserve KUDOS for their work.

Don't even try this with a camera phone <LOL>....or with a point and shoot like my digital either!

Freypower
05-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I am one of the people that has posted photos from this show. My photos are saved to my Photobucket account. In future I will try to remember to include the flickr link but I can't really make an ironclad guarantee. When I post these photos it is totally in good faith.

I have an avatar of at least one of these photos. The only way I could acknowledge that would be to state 'my current avatar is courtesy of... and give the link'.

MikeA
05-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I am one of the people that has posted photos from this show. My photos are saved to my Photobucket account. In future I will try to remember to include the flickr link but I can't really make an ironclad guarantee. When I post these photos it is totally in good faith.

I have an avatar of at least one of these photos. The only way I could acknowledge that would be to state 'my current avatar is courtesy of... and give the link'.

Generally speaking, if a photographer wishes credit for the photos, he or she will inconspicuously watermark them. Note Steve Alexander's. He has his name very tastefully stated at the very bottom of the pic. Apparently, Steve wants "credit" for taking such good images but doesn't mind people using them as long as they are not selling them or including them in some publication without any consideration for him. That's very reasonable.

I may be wrong, but I've always assumed that if it is stated that "all rights are reserved" it pretty much means they don't mind people sharing the pics but it's a NO-NO to include them in any commercial venture. With those pics, alteration is usually permitted...such as clipping the notification off the bottom. If that started happening, people like Steve might start slapping their "by line" in the middle of the pic! Some might have a note on them something like "no unauthorized reproduction or use with express written permission". I'd be very cautious in using those.

Most non-professional photographers though do not mind people spreading the pics around. That's why they took them in the first place.

But like I said, those are just "MY" guidelines in using photographs I find on the Internet.

As for allowing cameras at a concert, that varies from artist to artist. I'm pretty sure not too many performers appreciate flashes going off during a performance. But just as with photographers, I seriously doubt that they would wish to allow pictures to be taken and included in a magazine to help the magazine sell copy without getting compensation for them. And, I would think that even though some bands do get upset with people taking pictures even without flashes, that as long as the photographer is not obstructing the view of other fans or causing some sort of disruption to the performance, that it is pretty narrow minded of them NOT to allow those pics during the performance.

Now, I can CERTAINLY understand them NOT wanting unauthorized RECORDINGS made and posted on the Internet! Those to me are just not right at all. The performer has NO control over the quality of the recording and it might sound HORRIBLE. And, even if it is a good recording, it is stealing their product! That's what they are in the business to do...sell their talent...not give it away!

Fan_For_Life
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
I try to use guidelines myself, but if the band doesn't permit picture taking then why does anyone get offended if not given credit. Does the artist get credit for you taking their picture at times they've specifically "asked not to"? Do they get offended, some artists do, some don't. The pics in question were taken without permission. If it was for the purpose of a newspaper article or of like nature(and given proper approval) I could understand the policy more of credit, but if not professionally done then that's where I think it wrong for anyone to ask for credit.

For example if I were to take some awesome pics of the band and then decide to post some online,,I wouldn't expect credit because they wouldn't be my pictures to credit. Yes I may have taken the pic, but it's not really my pic, if taken when unauthorized to do so.

sodascouts
05-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes I may have taken the pic, but it's not really my pic, if taken when unauthorized to do so.

Tell that to the paparazzi! lol

Ive always been a dreamer
05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
This is an interesting discussion, so I’ll add my two cents in here. To me, the real issue here is not so much about ownership. IMO, if someone takes a picture, they own it whether it is authorized or not. However, I think that once an owner decides to publish something on the Internet, they will have a difficult time controlling what happens to their “intellectual property”. If they want credit for the property (and there is nothing wrong with that), about the best they can do is watermark their pictures similar to how Mike described. IMO, the best netiquette is to leave the watermark on the photo if you reuse it. The owner put it there for a reason, and removing it is probably not good manners. But again, can this be enforced? Realistically – probably not. It's a free-for-all once it's on the web. Doesn't mean that we can't do our part and respect someone's request when asked though.

Maleah
05-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Just a quick note in response to the comment about artists getting distracted by flashes.....I NEVER use a flash at a show. Ever. So they can't use that excuse with me. lol I understand where artists are coming from.....but at the same time.....if I spend $200 on a ticket for a concert....I want something to remember it by! Whether it be pictures or a video or two! $200 is ridiculous for a memory if you're gonna forget it in a few years and not have something to remember it by.

Fan_For_Life
05-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Tell that to the paparazzi! lol

I would if I could. Actually I do, through the tv screen, lol. Especially if I see them right in the persons face with the camera flashing a hundred times over. If celebrities themselves can't stop it, then I don't see me making any difference.

I don't, in any way, think others should feel the same way I do about this and should take the opportunity if they want to take pictures. With today's concert prices it's difficult for me to want to spend an extra $50-$100 just to take home memorabilia when I can use something that is already mine to capture the moment.

If I had a decent cell camera I'd take a few pictures myself, but if the artist while on stage is asking people not to then that's when I do my best to control how many I try to take. If any at all. That's just my preference.

thealexanderhome
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
There are a couple of interesting comments here. Sorry its been so long since I've been back, I actually lost the link and hadn't looked for it until I started getting hits on my flickr site again.

First, thank you for the attribution if you reuse the photos. As for the questions about attribution, copyright laws are extremely restrictive. Certainly some photographs are copyrighted because the content is valuable to the person taking the photograph. There is a non-profit organization that provides guildelines that are less restrictive than copyright laws, but allow you to express what you want done with your work or what others can do with your work. Its called Creative Commons.

As for why ask that others follow the rules when you do not? Good point; it is a bit duplicitous...but do it anyway, please. :-)

On Mike A's question about exposure, digital changes everything. My equipment is professional quality equipment. Most were taken at ISO 1600, or 4X the speed of your ASA 400 film, thus the fast exposure time. I've actually bought better noise reduction software since I published these pictures, so the ones that I've printed are much better quality. People do forget that there is a great deal of light on a concert stage to be able to take photographs with. However, I would not attempt it from too far back, or with a cheaper point and shoot camera, or a camera phone. Just enjoy the concert because you'll be disappointed in the results of taking pictures unless you're in the first five rows.

As for ownership, you do not need authorization to take pictures of public figures or a model's release. General people, you should especially if you want to profit from it. At concerts, they cannot legally stop you from taking pictures, they can stop you from bringing in cameras. There is no such thing as an unauthorized picture of a public figure, by law. Just look at the rags at the grocery check out.

Thanks for all of the great comments. I was glad to have this once in a lifetime opportunity and glad that they turned out well. My wife will not longer allow me to photograph at concerts because I was so focused it shooting rather than enjoying the show. So after, I just get my rock on.

thealexanderhome
04-07-2010, 06:11 PM
One more comment about flashes...turn them off if you're shooting indoors at distances or shooting a concert. The light of a flash is only good for 10 feet or so on most consumer cameras, so it can actually make your picture worse with it on and it does nothing at all in the very least (well other than annoy people around you and shine a spot light on what you're doing for security).

AzEaglesFan
04-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Your pictures are amazing and I don't know how I missed them the first time. You are so right about the flashes. I hope your wife will let you take more pictures at you next Eagles' concert. Tell her it is by popular request. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
04-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, your photos definitely have their own personality - the sign of a great photogragher if you ask me! :thumbsup:

Stars
04-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Just had a chance to view the photos-they were fantastic!:thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Since this thread has been revived, I thought it may be a good idea to remind folks that we do in fact have some guidelines about netiquette rules for posting photos on the board. Here is the link for anyone who wants to check them out ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427