PDA

View Full Version : Hotel California by an Asian Prodigy! GREAT

MikeA
06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Here is a very unusual performance of the Classic. I hate this kid! He doesn't even smile! But man, can he ever hang on the wires!!!!

YOU TUBE HERE

It's better if you go to the link rather than posting it indirectly here. Seems like it gets choppy with what I assume are bandwidth problems either from The Border or from YouTube.

It's worth opening an extra tab to listen and watch this though.

thelongrun
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Amazing kid! Thanks for posting... I did it an MP3 already!

MikeA
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
There are over 60 vids of him on YouTube. He does a rendition of the Beatles' "Come Together" that will knock you out!

This is even more amazing to read. It is from his MySpace page:

The following is the musician’s statement of my son:

Hi, I’m Sungha Jung from South Korea. My dream is to become a professional acoustic fingerstyle guitarist.

I had been watching my dad play the guitar for awhile before I finally jumped on it myself two years ago. I just turned eleven in September, 2007.

Currently, I am taking weekly classical guitar lessons and teaching myself fingerstyle guitar.

I used to not have tabs for the music that I played in my videos. I just listen and pick them up directly from the sound source in videos available on the internet. However, recently, I have started playing with original tabs whenever they are available to me by courtesy of the authors.

My guitar is custom made to fit my body size, and on it, Thomas Leeb wrote "Keep on grooving to my friend."

I’m very grateful to those prominent guitarists who have had a great influence on my guitar playing. I’ll continue to study them and learn more about interpretation of music and various playing techniques.

My daily practice routine lasts for one to two hours when school is open, but I play up to three hours a day during the school breaks.

It usually takes me two to three days to practice and videotape a new piece but sometimes up to a week for more difficult ones.

Last, but certainly not least, I can’t thank Ulli Bögershausen enough for being my musical inspiration.

To watch more videos, please visit my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jwcfree

I have composed two pieces, ’Missing You’ and recently ’Voyages with Ulli.’ And I arranged one of my favorite songs ’Fields of Gold’ by Sting. I will have the tabs for those songs available soon.
Please do not ask me for tabs other than my own arrangement or composition. I suggest you to contact the person whoever composed or arranged the song.
To get the tab for ’Missing You’, click on View My: Pics in the upper left corner of this page.

Brooke
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Wow! He is awesome! What a talented kid!

TimothyBFan
06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Amazing! Why is it to some people, that kind of talent just comes natural and others can't even hold a guitar without dropping it (that would be me I'm sure)?

MikeA
06-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, he's 13 years old now. But I doubt we'll hear much from him considering the "circles" we thrive on here. The kid is bound and determined to perfect his style of finger picking on acoustic guitars. If he doesn't migrate to Electric, I don't think that he'll build a great commercial career. But again, he's only 13 now. He could change his mind! And the type music that "SALES" would not be much of a challenge for him.

Personally, I like his style. I've tried it and totally failed at it. The guy who I went to to learn it had no interest in anything but Classical guitar and that is all he would teach. I quit after a few lessons with nothing to show for the time. I wanted Peter Paul & Mary and he wouldn't teach anything but Mozart!

So I taught myself and didn't do a very good job of it.

This young man obviously has music inside him. He said that he got TABS for some of the pieces he's recorded but others, he just listened to the music and figured it out! That is something I was never able to do.

Prettymaid
06-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Everybody has their talents and some are just musically inclined. I get envious when I see (hear) it come so easily to some because I have always said if I could do anything I wanted for a living and the talent for it was a given, I would be on stage - not playing guitar though - my thing is singing. I love the vocals! Unfortunately that is not one of my talents. Maybe in my next life!

Brooke
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I have always wanted to play piano, so several years ago I decided to take lessons. Even acquired an old piano to practice on. I took them for about a year and finally figured out that I just did not have any talent for it.

Some of my cousins play by ear and are so talented. Never took any lessons, just sat down and played. Why not me? :sad:

MikeA
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Brooke,

Don't feel lacking!....Some like, the Eagles and our Korean friend were gifted with something genetically that attuned them to the creation of music. Some of us were gifted with an ability to appreciate the accomplishments of others. Unfortunately, there is another group who have no appreciation for the Arts. They are the ones I pity!

TimothyBFan
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM
My son is one of those that can just hear a song and pick it up. We paid for lessons for about 6 months years ago when he was little and his instructor finally told us that he pretty much had it and we really didn't need to keep paying him. I should of known he be like that because when he was about 5, my husband bought a portable piano like some musicians use to travel with and sat it up in the living room. My son walked over to it and just started playing it. Larry & I wondered where that came from because neither of us have a talented bone in our bodies. Since then, Dillon has picked up guitar, bass, piano, trombone and drums. He plays off and on in a couple of bands but has never gotten really serious about it. Just loves to play around.

Peekaboo
06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Some like, the Eagles and our Korean friend were gifted with something genetically that attuned them to the creation of music. Some of us were gifted with an ability to appreciate the accomplishments of others.

Well then I must have an amazing gift because I appreciate the heck out of the Eagles' music and their accomplishments. :hilarious:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, being musically inclined is one talent that I wish I had.