PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh: He's everywhere!

Just Another Hired Hand
06-05-2009, 08:57 PM
After two months of grueling travel (spread out over3 months) I'm back. I'm really glad to be back and I am especially looking forward to the concert Tiffany Twisted and I will be attending next week, none other than Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood appearing live at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. Upon my arrival home from my most recent trip, TT, my better half presented me with a gift...the just released Clapton/Winwood live DVD.

Needless to say I couldn't wait to pop it into the home theater system and take it all in. Well, while I'm pouring over the liner notes I make an interesting discovery. The Steve Winwood song, Split Decision, was co written by Steve Winwood and JOE WALSH! How cool is that? I looked it up with a Google search and there is a link on the Wikipedia web page to the Joe Walsh web page.

I never knew the two collaberated on anything. At the time of Winwood's Back in the High Life Winwood's song writing partner was Wil Jennings. I was really surprised to find this and thought I'd share it with all of my brother and sister Eagle fans here on the Border.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-07-2009, 11:32 AM
JAHH - First of all, glad to have you back. We've missed ya! Hope you won't be away so long next time and have a great time a the concert next week. I didn't know that Steve and Joe had ever collaborated on writing songs either, so thanks for that tidbit.

Freypower
06-08-2009, 02:08 AM
JAHH - you have brought back memories of a song which I had totally forgotten. I used to have the Back In The High Life album on record years ago. I may have to purchase that track on iTunes because I remember that it was pretty good.

sodascouts
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Good to hear from you, JAHH!

AzEaglesFan
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://everyonetearing.bayudworx.com/2009/08/30/joe-walsh-you-bought-it-you-name-it-rock-music-cd-review/&ct=ga&cd=ObA13nn-kQA&usg=AFQjCNHr6X5T-e3BRAFqV8An_HXZdJIQnw Got this as a Google alert but what is it?
Have any of you heard about this? Is it a new CD or just a lot of old one put together?

ticky
08-31-2009, 06:32 PM
"You bought it, You name it" is Joe's 5th solo album and was released in 1983. The track listing the guy in the review gives, is the same track listing on the album. I dont know why he'd call it a new release. I've had the MP3's for a long time.

AzEaglesFan
08-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Wishful thinking?? I knew if Joe had put anything new out, his fan club would have put out some kind of message.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah - not quite sure what that is all about being that the album is over 25 years old now. AEF, I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but just thought I'd mention that Joe's complete discography is available on JoeWalshOnline. Here is a link to the page with his solo work if you are interested.

http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/index.htm

MikeA
09-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's just a reprinting (remastering) of that album? Even so, I'd think we'd have heard something...expecially if alphabet soup (Bill Szymczyk) remastered it.

AzEaglesFan
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't have this CD of Joe's. What is your take on it, is it worth buying? I usually find songs on his CDs that I like but have to save money in case they ever tour in this direction.

MikeA
09-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm probably not the one to ask whether it is "worth it" or not. Everything Joe does is "worthy" to me. I study everything he's done that I can get my hands on. It was one of his 80's post Eagles for the first time around and some people were not as fond of that era of Joe's work. Me, well, I like it ALL.

You Bought It -- You Name It

1. I Can Play That Rock & Roll
2. Told You So
3. Here We Are Now
4. The Worry Song
5. I.L.B.T.'s
6. Space Age Whiz Kids
7. Love Letters
8. Class Of '65
9. Shadows
10. Theme From Island Weirdos

sodascouts
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
It's kind of uneven. "I Can Play That Rock&Roll" and "The Worry Song" are two favorites, but the rest are pretty unremarkable. As for his decision to record a song that proclaims "I Like Big Tits" - oh man. :: CRINGE ::

But if you can get a good deal, you might as well buy it. As Mike says, many hardcore Joe fans have a taste for all (or at least a great majority) of his work. Perhaps you'll find it suits your tastes, too.

And perhaps some other folks will disagree with my assessment - interesting to see what songs people like and what they don't!

MikeA
09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Overall, not a "happy" album. Two or three of the tracks are sort of "dark" (heavy minor key).

For What It's Worth:

"The Worry Song"...sort of regge' with R&R ambiance. Some good guitar licks in it.

"Theme From Island Weirdos" Joe wrote this one while sailing. Instrumental and very moody. Maybe "elevator music" <LOL> But Joe did several of these weirdos tracks...sort of composed something that fit the situation he was in and two that I know of were on his sailboat as documented in David Crosby's book and possibly in Felder's though I'm not sure about Felder.

"Shadows" Very minor key. Like about one of the "darkest keys" I've heard Joe play in. Again, great guitar work. I think he must have been feeling rather paranoid in this one. Not elevator music!

"Class of '65": One of my least favorite on the album. Synth in it. Sort of reminds me of someone talking about a high school reunion. 65 would have been the year Joe graduated from high school. I don' think the lyrics were terribly inspired. Still, the instrumental composition is good in this one. It makes me feel about the way I felt about high school...not overwhelming <LOL>

"Love Letters" Upbeat. Real Rock & Roll. I'm not even going to comment on the good guitar work in the rest of these...assume that to be true of anything Joe does.

"Space Age Whiz Kids": He had fun with a synth on this one. Definitely could dance to this one. Heavy Beat!

"I.L.B.T,s" ughh....well, you get it. Carried a lot of the beat from Whiz Kids I think. Joe much have wanted to deliver a message with this one. A lot of silicon was probably sold after this song came out. Definitely a song with great social and political import.

"Here We Are Now": Not particularly inspired lyrics, similar to "Class of '65". Joe reflecting on some relationship he'd had.

"Told You So" Hang on!!!!!!! Now this one is GOOD...maybe the best on the album. Great overdriven guitar. I think anyone who likes Joe will like this one. Reminds me a little of "Confessor".

"I Can Play That Rock and Roll": Okay, maybe this one is the best <LOL>. This one is a must have on your MP3 or IPOD.

TimothyBFan
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Overall, not a "happy" album. Two or three of the tracks are sort of "dark"

I have always thought this of this album and truthfully very seldom do I play it.

"The Worry Song"...sort of regge' with R&R ambiance. Some good guitar licks in it.

"Love Letters" Upbeat. Real Rock & Roll. I'm not even going to comment on the good guitar work in the rest of these...assume that to be true of anything Joe does.

"I Can Play That Rock and Roll": Okay, maybe this one is the best <LOL>. This one is a must have on your MP3 or IPOD.

I think Mike is pretty much spot on with these reviews.

Freypower
09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I know this is politically incorrect but in ILBTs I do like it when he says 'I'm a tit man'.... as if we hadn't guessed. :hilarious:

I absolutely love the version of Love Letters. I think it runs rings round Elvis Presley's schmaltzy version. As for Here We Are Now Don & Tim sing on it. Felder is on Told You So.