PDA

View Full Version : One of Glenn's main collaborators has died

kperk014
06-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Barry Beckett, keyboard player and founding member of the famed Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, died during the night at his home in Hendersonville, Tenn.:-(

.art_main_pic { width:250px; float:left; clear:left; } Known affectionately as “The Swampers,” Beckett, along with guitarist Jimmy Johnson, bassist David Hood and drummer Roger Hawkins, performed with a variety of artists including Bob Seger, Glenn Frey, The Staple Singers and Paul Simon.

Beckett played on or produced most of the songs recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound in Sheffield, Al.

He was 66-years-old, said his close friend and former assistant, Dick Cooper. He had suffered from several ailments.
Beckett co-produced Bob Dylan’s first platinum album, “Slow Train Coming,” along with the late Jerry Wexler at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios at 1000 Alabama Ave. in Sheffield. He and Wexler also produced “Communique,” the second album by Dire Straits.
Cooper, who worked as Beckett’s assistant for 5 1/2 years, said he will remember Beckett as a compassionate individual who taught him everything he knows about the music business.

Glennsallnighter
06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
That is indeed sad news. I hope he is at peace and extend my sympathies to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

sodascouts
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
What a shame! Thanks for letting us know, kperk.

Beckett and Glenn worked closely together on The Allnighter. He co-produced Sexy Girl, I Got Love, and Better in the USA with Glenn. He also played piano and synthesizer on those tracks. For the Soul Searchin' album, he contributed keyboards to True Love and the title track.

In the liner notes for the Solo Collection, Glenn thanks him as one of the co-producers who "helped me turn musical ideas into musical reality."

I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

kperk014
06-14-2009, 11:40 PM
What a shame! Thanks for letting us know, kperk.

Beckett and Glenn worked closely together on The Allnighter. He co-produced Sexy Girl, I Got Love, and Better in the USA with Glenn. He also played piano and synthesizer on those tracks. For the Soul Searchin' album, he contributed keyboards to True Love and the title track.

In the liner notes for the Solo Collection, Glenn thanks him as one of the co-producers who "helped me turn musical ideas into musical reality."

I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

Just as with Jerry Wexler, it's hard to watch our aging heroes come to the end of their journey. Fortunately, we'll always have a piece of them here with us forever.

The girl who cut my hair dated Glenn back in the No Fun Aloud days. Made for some interesting chat. Nothing bad though. For the first time ever, the public was informed a little about who was in town recording. Of course, by that time, the salad days were coming to an end as far as recording goes. Muscle Shoals is still a hotbed for writers but the days of Frey, Seger, Dylan, the Stones, Rod Stewart, etc coming to town are long gone.:-(

cynd1231
06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
It's always sad to learn of the loss of one of the industry greats. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to those who had the opportunity to work closely with him. He will be missed by all.

Troubadour
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Very sad. Sounds like he had quite an impact on many people - not least, Glenn.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this, kperk. My heart goes out to Barry's family and friends.

RIP, Barry.

Mrs Frey
06-26-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm late on this but I'd like to extend my sympathies to his family and friends. Yet another premature passing. It's very sad.